Author Topic: Make your own products (cleaning, condiments, bodycare, etc.)  (Read 9556 times)

mapleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Make your own products (cleaning, condiments, bodycare, etc.)
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
Not sure which category this belonged in, but this seems good as any. We've been trying to cut our food budget lately, and one thing I realized is that we already eat a lot of bulk foods, CSA/homegrown veggies, etc., which is fairly cheap, but we spend a good amount on things like condiments, oils, etc. I've started trying to make some of these myself. This isn't an outright challenge so much as a place to share motivation, recipes, etc. I find that if I have a recipe I know will work (because someone else has already tried it!) that I am more likely to go for it. I would love to have a bunch of recipes for homemade versions of stuff people usually buy posted in one thread!

Things I was already making myself:

-deodorant (alcohol, water, and essential oils in spritzer)

-liquid soap (grate leftover bar soap, mix with boiling water until the right consistency -- definitely doesn't suds as well as the commercial stuff but it seems to clean my hands fine)

-jams, jellies, pickles (I am a big canner), kim chi, sauerkraut, hot sauce (good sriracha recipe: http://food52.com/recipes/6441-fresh-sriracha-aka-home-made-rooster), gari (sushi ginger): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-pickled-ginger-gari/

-a lot of cleaning supplies (vinegar/water combo to clean almost anything, bringing out the Bon Ami for the nastier jobs)

New things I tried recently:

-vegetarian broth powder -- we use a ton and it's expensive. I used this recipe, but will halve the salt in the future, it turned out way too salty but otherwise I found it just as good as the stuff I'd been buying: http://www.simplehealthytasty.com/2010/07/homemade-vegetable-broth-powder.html

-roasted chick peas -- awesome healthy snack, I found I needed to cook them for more like 40 minutes with a lot of shaking to prevent burning

My sister recently sent me a ketchup recipe she swears by, which I need to try as I eat a ton of ketchup, and a vegan mayo recipe that she tried, was unsatisfied with, and is tweaking.

So -- what else can I make myself rather than buy overpriced store versions? One thing I tried in the past and was unhappy with was laundry soap. Anyone have a homemade recipe that works?

ASquared

• Bristles
Re: Make your own products (cleaning, condiments, bodycare, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:18:39 PM »
Great sites for homemade cleaners, body products, and recipes!

wellnessmama.com

mommypotamus.com

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
This jammer made chutney last week using this recipe:

http://www.kevindundon.com/caramelized-apple-chutney

One of these days I'll try making ketchup since the homemade stuff is supposed to be so much better.  Seems like it would make a great gift.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »
I just made my own endust for dust mopping my floor: Water, olive oil, vinegar with some lemon essential oil I had on hand.  I put it all in a spray bottle.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:35:37 PM »
I've started making mayo when I have an excess of eggs (buying spendy eggs now, so no mayo).  It is incrediballs compared to store bought mayo.  Savings - not much, but taste is incomparable.

Just switched from paying $11 per jar for coconut butter to making it at home for about $3/jar. 

In the summer, make FERMENTED PICKLES!  If you have a pot or a square foot of soil, grow some pickling cukes, or if not, buy some, and ferment yourself some pickles.  I made a giant jar of them and they are the best pickles be far that I've ever eaten.  They've been in the fridge since about August and are still excellent.  A jar of Bubbie's is like $7.  I made ~4 jars' worth for about 50 cents.  $27.50 savings. 

Homemade sauerkraut and kimchi are awesome too, and super cheap compared to the fancy-pants raw live culture stuff that's like $8 for a little jar at the health food store.

Vanilla - I actually just use the CostCo vanilla most of the time, but got some vanilla beans with my co-op basket, so they've been in a jar of vodka in the fridge for eons.  Use them when I want some extra-good vanilla flavor in a dessert.  Not sure this would save if you had to buy the vanilla beans special.

Relishes and salsas - cheap to can when the garden is bumpin'.  Savings would be more moderate if you have to buy the produce.

Since hanging around MMM, I have some citrus peels steeping in a jug of vinegar.  Will give it a whirl for cleaning when current cleaning supplies start to run low.  Savings - About $20 per gallon, plus reduced plastic waste.

Turkey stock - this is about the most cost-saving kitchen device I have.  The turkey is a pretty frugal protein source that lasts us most of the week, then throw in some geriatric vegetables and a few hours of electricity for the burner.  These days I boil it down so it's very concentrated, then freeze it in 4 and 8 oz portions, which are enough to use as a soup base.  Savings - about $30 per batch

shakenNOTstirred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »

One of these days I'll try making ketchup since the homemade stuff is supposed to be so much better.  Seems like it would make a great gift.
Cool idea on the chutney. I've always liked chutney (seldom come across it though) but never thought of making it. It would impress my friends if I brought it to a party, which is a nice side benefit. I don't know anyone else who makes homemade chutney. Maybe if I'm actually able to make good chutney, I could start a little side business selling it since I have an inside scoop on how to market it, and I'm guessing there's not much competition in the "boutique" chutney market. Hmmm... food for thought (pun intended).
One question about the recipe though, if you made it. It has four cloves of garlic. I love garlic, but does chutney normally have garlic in it?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:36:15 AM by shakenNOTstirred »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »
I've been doing my own laundry detergent for a while and we just started making our own hummus. I tried making dishwasher detergent, but got crappy results--I think it works better if your water isn't so hard. Too bad, because that could be a big savings :-(.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
I've been doing my own laundry detergent for a while and we just started making our own hummus. I tried making dishwasher detergent, but got crappy results--I think it works better if your water isn't so hard. Too bad, because that could be a big savings :-(.

I've also been getting good results with laundry detergent but not dishwasher detergent - but this weekend I'm trying out a new recipe which includes epsom salts. That's meant to be better for hard water, so I'll post here about the results!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 07:21:12 AM »
We make our own laundry detergent. That stuff is so simple, and yet the store charges ridiculous amounts of money for it! Costs 1/10 the price to make it yourself.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »

My daughter has an ear infection.  We are trying garlic oil dropped into the ear.  I think it came from the mommypotamus site.  She had a reaction to amoxicillan one time, so I am hoping to not have to go there this go round.  :( 

I had good success with mullein garlic drops for my daughters ear infection!! Hoping it works for you too:)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »
We make our own liquid detergent and use it in our HE washing machine. Simple recipe using borax, washing soda and a bar of Marseilles soap. Only a quarter of a cup is needed for a regular load. We have "clean" jobs so this detergent works well for us and probably would be fine for most people. Not sure how well it would clean really clean a coal miner or mechanics' work clothes though.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
I make my own deodorant, toothpaste, all-purpose spray (I use cheap vodka, water, and essential oils since I don't like the vinegar smell), multi-purpose balm for lips and hands, laundry detergent, shoe and furniture polish. I use Dr. Bronner's for most other cleaning purposes not covered by the all-purpose spray. I intend to make my own dish soap and dishwasher detergent once we run out of the current stock.

I've also been experimenting with making my own makeup. I've made beet lip/cheek stain and homemade mascara out of burnt, ground-up almonds which failed (raccoon eyes). I have another recipe for homemade mascara that's supposed to be no-smudge made with coconut butter, burnt almonds, and beeswax. I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »

I've also been getting good results with laundry detergent but not dishwasher detergent - but this weekend I'm trying out a new recipe which includes epsom salts. That's meant to be better for hard water, so I'll post here about the results!

If hard water is an issue, I put white vinegar in my dishwasher (in addition to the detergent) and it's taken care of any previous issues.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 11:20:27 AM »
For household products, I make my own all-purpose cleaner, soft scrub, dust mop spray, and laundry detergent.

For personal/bodycare products, I make my own shaving cream/night hand cream, body wash/hand soap, deodorant, sugar scrub, and hot oil treatment for my hair.

I am going to start keeping bees this year, so I am hoping to start making more personal care items with beeswax (lotions, lip balm, etc). Super excited!

mapleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »
For those of you making laundry soap -- recipes? I tried one using borax and (I think) grated soap to make a liquid (I can't remember specifics). It didn't work very well. We aren't mechanics, but my husband is a runner, and it didn't do the trick on all of his stinky synthetic running wear. We are gardeners as well, but that's more old-fashioned dirt, nothing too greasy. We only use cold water, which could be a (large?) part of the problem...

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »
For those of you making laundry soap -- recipes? I tried one using borax and (I think) grated soap to make a liquid (I can't remember specifics). It didn't work very well. We aren't mechanics, but my husband is a runner, and it didn't do the trick on all of his stinky synthetic running wear. We are gardeners as well, but that's more old-fashioned dirt, nothing too greasy. We only use cold water, which could be a (large?) part of the problem...

I grind one bar of Marseille soap (any unscented soap could work, even the Sunlight detergent soap bar but I prefer Marseille soap) in an old food processor until it is a fine powder.
Put soap in pan with 2 litres of water and gradually heat, stirring constantly until soap is completely dissolved.
Put 18 litres of really hot tap water in a 40-litre bucket and stir in 250 ml of borax and 250 ml of washing Soda until completely dissolved.
Pour soap mixture from pan the bucket. Stir well.
Cover and leave overnight.
Shake or stir until smooth and pour into jugs or other containers.
Use 125 to 250 ml per load depending on your machine and level of dirt of your load.

P.S. The soap bar is about 150 g for the whole amount of detergent. You can make less detergent by reducing the quantities of each ingredient while keeping the same ratio.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:32:28 PM by ykphil »

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
I make my own laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent. I clean with vinegar, baking soda, and water. And I'm a big fan of Crunchy Betty for all sorts of homemade personal care products. The blog hasn't been updated since July but there are lots of recipes there-- www.crunchybetty.com

Like 4alpacas, I find that the homemade dishwasher detergent works well if I add white vinegar to the rinse compartment. I also add one single, tiny drop of my liquid dish soap to each load.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »

1 bar fels naptha cut into chunks
2 cups Borax
2 cups super washing soda
2 cups baking soda
put in a food processor and whirl for a while
use 1 tablespoon per load

tip: do this outside and place a towel over the food processor
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:59:07 AM by crazy jane »

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 02:58:04 PM »

2 cups baking soda
2 cups baking soda

Baking soda is in here twice-- isn't one supposed to be Borax instead?

Once that correction is made, this is pretty much the recipe I use except that I use Dr. Bronners bar soap in place of the Fels Naptha. I'm perhaps over cautious about chemicals and I wasn't sure whether the Fels Naptha was something I was comfortable with. I've been doing this for a year now and my clothes are getting clean, so it must be working.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »

Cool idea on the chutney. I've always liked chutney (seldom come across it though) but never thought of making it. It would impress my friends if I brought it to a party, which is a nice side benefit. I don't know anyone else who makes homemade chutney.
One question about the recipe though, if you made it. It has four cloves of garlic. I love garlic, but does chutney normally have garlic in it?

The other apple chutney recipes that I have seen do not have garlic but tomato chutney does.

The recipe I linked goes through a slow cook that caramelizes and sweetens both the onion and the garlic.  My chutney is mellowing right now, but the sample that I tasted out of the pot was pretty good!

jordanread

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Lip balm: I love Chicken Poop (the brand of lip balm)
Thank you for clarifying. I usually will try anything twice, and since I have two dogs who love "cleaning up after" my chickens, I almost contemplated. Fortunately, I'm a fast reader. :-)

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »

2 cups Borax
2 cups baking soda

Baking soda is in here twice-- isn't one supposed to be Borax instead?

Once that correction is made, this is pretty much the recipe I use except that I use Dr. Bronners bar soap in place of the Fels Naptha. I'm perhaps over cautious about chemicals and I wasn't sure whether the Fels Naptha was something I was comfortable with. I've been doing this for a year now and my clothes are getting clean, so it must be working.

My bad. Thanks for catching the error. Yes Borax.

mapleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
Just made a batch of dishwasher detergent (recipe below). Works great and it's cheap as dirt! Can't believe I'd been shelling out so much for the 7th Generation crap...

1 c washing soda
1 c borax
1/2 c salt
1/2 c citric acid (you can get this at the store in canning supplies, otherwise might have to order it. I ordered some long ago for making bath bombs and still have a bunch)

Mine got kind of soggy even in an airtight container, but I just dig some out and cram it in the detergent slot. Also filled my rinse aid cup with vinegar, which is either helping or not hurting.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 12:26:29 AM »
Another great site is crunchybetty.com. 

It's mostly DIY face/skincare recipes, but fun to look at.  Includes a bunch of uses for things I never would've thought would be used for skin care (e.g., egg whites, coffee grounds).

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 06:18:09 AM »
Has anyone already tried ketchup and has a good recipe?  I have been talking about making it, but DH is worried it won't come out right and we won't eat it.  I did make sungold preserves last summer which were different but a huge hit and good substitute for ketchup.

I have been thinking about making soap with the kids and using it as gifts.  I am sick of spending money on little gifts for family who need and want nothing.   The most often gifted item is soap from the farmers market!  I try to get something they will use and won't clutter up their house.  This is for parents/in laws birthdays, mothers and fathers days, etc.  I need to do some googling and figure out how hard and expensive it will be to get started.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:25:52 AM by MayDay »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
12oz Tomato Paste
1 1/4 Cup Water
2 tbsp Vinegar
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp All Spice
Mix all ingredients, add honey and salt to taste.  Refrigerate leftovers.

This is what we've been doing for ketchup lately, and it is fantastic.  It also costs essentially nothing compared to store-bought ketchup.

payitoff

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:53 AM »
2 words: COCONUT OIL:

In cooking as a great oil with a high smoke point. Great for baking, stir-frys or as a dairy free replacement to butter.
Taken supplementally for daily energy
As a coffee creamer when emulsified into coffee (The only way I’ll drink coffee)
On the skin as a basic lotion
In homemade lotion bars for soft, smooth skin
In homemade deodorant or deodorant bars
As an eye-makeup remover
As a cloth diaper safe diaper cream (just rub on baby’s bottom)
In making your own Remineralizing Toothpaste
To lighten age spots when rubbed directly on the skin
To prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
To support healthy thyroid function
In homemade Mayo without the high PUFA vegetable oils
To help increase sun tolerance and avoid burning
As a naturally SPF 4 sunscreen
In homemade lotion recipes
To get rid of cradle cap on baby- just massage in to head, leave on for a few minutes and gently rinse with a warm wash cloth
Topically to kill yeast or yeast infections
As a delicious tropical massage oil
It’s high Lauric acid and MCFA content helps boost metaboism
A tiny dab rubbed on your hands and then through hair will help get rid of friz
As an intensive nighttime facial moisturizer
Mixed with equal parts sugar for a smoothing body scrub (use in the shower)
Rubbed on lips as a natural chap stick
Topically, can help skin heal faster after injury or infection
Directly on the perineum to help heal after birth
As an incredibly intensive natural conditioner- Rub into dry hair, put a shower cap on and leave for several hours
On feet to fight athlete’s foot or tor fungus
In place of Lanolin cream on nursing nipples to sooth irritation (also great for baby!)
Can help sooth psoriasis or eczema
There is some evidence that regular ingestion of coconut oil can help prevent or reverse Alzheimers
 With apple cider vinegar as a natural treatment for lice that actually works
In natural Homemade Sunscreen
In healthy brain boosting snack for kids like Coconut Clusters
In a filling and energy boosting Brain Powder Smoothie
Rub coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms
Nursing moms can take 3-4 tablespoons a day (and Vitamin D) to increase milk supply and nutrients
There is some evidence that coconut oil helps digestion and may even kill intestinal parasites or yeast
Mix a tablespoon with a tablespoon of chia seeds for an all-day energy boost (do NOT take this at night!)
Can help improve insulin levels
Oil pulling with coconut oil and a drop of oregano oil helps improve gum health
Can help improve cholesterol ratios
Blend a tablespoon into hot tea to help speed recovery from cold or flu
In Homemade Natural Bug-Off Lotion Bars
As a replacement for vegetable oils in any recipe
Better for high-temperature cooking than olive or vegetable oils
Can help reduce appearance of varicose veins
After initial heat is gone, can help speed healing of sunburn
Is an immediate source of energy when eaten and isn’t stored as fat
As a natural personal lubricant that won’t disturb vaginal flora
As a naturally antibacterial skin cream
In natural homemade diaper cream
As a natural shave cream and after shave lotion
When used consistently on skin it can help get rid of cellulite
To season cast iron skillets
It’s anti-inflammatory properties can help lessen arthritis
Can reduce the itch of mosquito bites
Can help resolve acne when used regularly
Can be rubbed into scalp daily to stimulate hair growth
I’ve used in kids ears to help speed ear infection healing
On split ends to de-frizz
A small amount can be rubbed into real leather to soften and condition (shiny leather only… test a small area first)
By itself as a great tanning oil
Mixed with salt to remove dry skin on feet
Can help speed weight loss when consumed daily
Can help improve sleep when taken daily
Can be used to speed healing of fungal infections when taken internally and used externally
A tablespoon melted into a cup of warm tea can help sooth a sore throat
To help sooth the itch of chicken pox or poison ivy
It has been shown to increase absorption of calcium and magnesium
Internally as part of the protocol to help remineralize teeth
 Some evidence shows that the beneficial fats in coconut oil can help with depression and anxiety
By itself as a natural deodorant
By itself or with baking soda as a naturally whitening toothpaste
For pets struggling with skin issues when used externally
Some evidence suggests that the beneficial fats in coconut oil are helpful for those with Autism
In homemade vapor rub
As a safe cooking oil for deep frying
A tablespoon taken before each meal can help improve digestion
Can be taken in warm ginger tea to sooth heartburn or nausea
As a completely natural baby lotion
On hands after doing dishes to avoid dry skin
Mixed with catnip, rosemary, or mint essential oils as a natural bug repellent
Can be used on mom’s nipple and baby’s mouth to help treat thrush
Many use it as an anti-aging facial moisturizer
Use to make coconut cream concentrate for a brain boosting snack
Can be used internally and externally to speed recovery from UTIs
When taken regularly, it can help fight candida
When taken regularly, it can boost hormone production
Can relieve the pain of hemorrhoids when used topically
Can boost circulation and help those who often feel cold
On cuticles to help nails grow
Rub into elbows daily to help alleviate dry, flaky elbows
Add to smoothies to give them a nutritional boost
Internally during pregnancy to help provide baby necessary fats for development (especially when taken with Fermented Cod Liver Oil)
In any recipes where vegetable oils are used
Whipped with shea butter for a soothing body balm
One reader swears by using coconut oil to treat yeast infection. She suggests soaking a tampon in it and inserting the tampon for a few hours.
Naturally clears up cold sores
Ingesting coconut oil daily can help with allergy symptoms
Ingesting coconut oil daily can increase mental alertness

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 08:44:17 PM »
12oz Tomato Paste
1 1/4 Cup Water
2 tbsp Vinegar
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp All Spice
Mix all ingredients, add honey and salt to taste.  Refrigerate leftovers.

This is what we've been doing for ketchup lately, and it is fantastic.  It also costs essentially nothing compared to store-bought ketchup.

I just made my own BBQ Sauce. It could be made with homemade ketchup, or it could be a good way to use up a batch of ketchup that you don't like:
2 cups ketchup (1 recipe homemade ketchup, above)
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine in a pot and simmer for an hour, stirring frequently.
I thought simmering for that long was excessive, until I realized that the pepper infuses the sauce and completely transforms it in that time. Before simmering it's bad smelling peppery-ketchup, but after it's delicious bbq sauce! I ground my own pepper, leaving some slightly coarse pieces. I used about 50% more pepper than the recipe calls for and it was perfect. It's as good as any $5 bottle of BBQ sauce I've had. It's very similar to Williamson Brothers BBQ sauce.

Also try mustard-based BBQ sauce (South Carolina style) if you've never had it. I haven't tried this recipe, but it looks legit: http://southern.food.com/recipe/south-carolina-mustard-bbq-sauce-311369

Here's a simple recipe I used last time I made it:
1 cup prepared yellow mustard (The cheapest store brand mustard is fine)
1/4 cup honey (I used less)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
Ground black pepper to taste (1-2 teaspoons should be about right)
Boil for 5 minutes.

This one was alright. It was a bit unrefined, with a strong vinegar taste/smell. Simmering longer would probably help.

North Carolina style vinegar-based BBQ sauce is even easier, no cooking required!
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/10/north-carolina-barbecue-vinegar-sauce.html
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vinegar-based-bbq-sauce/