Author Topic: Low-Carb Challenge  (Read 4203 times)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
Low-Carb Challenge
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:50:11 PM »
Anyone up for a low-carb or keto challenge?  I miss how my body feels when I eat low-carb.  The holidays were pretty good, sugar-wise, but there's been some definite carb creep these last few months and I feel it.  I've found that I do best on a low-carb Atkins/Paleo/Whole30 approach.  Basically:  protein, natural fat, veggies, some fruit and plenty of water.

I've been wanting to do this for a few weeks now, but knew the holidays was not the time to try.  This seems like a good time.  I'm not sure if I want to do this for the whole year.... that feels a bit overwhelming.  For now, the goal is 21 days, to make it a habit.

I start tomorrow.  I made a batch of curry today so that I'll have something hot and tasty in the morning - that seems to be my downfall - I tend to choose bagel & hot chocolate because it's easy and tasty and that serves as a green light for continuing carbs the whole day.

This is how I've been feeling lately...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:24:12 AM by M.Darcy »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Low-Carb Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
I have cut back on carbs substantially post-holidays.  I'm not sure I keep it under 20g (Atkins induction) each and every day, but I will try.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
You do what I do, which is to eat dinner for breakfast. =-) So delicious!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
Welcome OurTown!  When I've done the Atkins induction in the past it has been really good for me.  I'm impressed that you're going to try it.  I'll be here to cheer you on!  Would love to hear what you're eating while on it.

Welcome oldtoyota!  Yes, dinner (especially ethnic foods) is great for breakfast.  What kind of meals do you eat?

ok, it's Day 1 and I already slipped, but... there's a reason!  And I'm going to share it in case someone out there can help me figure out how to solve this.

I'm on a low-dose antibiotic since Dec and till March - 2 pills, am and pm.  The pm pill is not a problem.  But the am pill is.  If I don't take it with a large amount of starchy food, I get nausea.  The past month I've had to do a bagel and a regular breakfast in order to manage it.  Or do a large breakfast of potatoes and eggs.  Today, I had a banana and then heated up my curry but I started to feel the bit of tummy unrest so I added rice to my curry.  Maybe 1/2 or so.  That, with a good amount of beef and veggie curry, did the trick. 

But I don't want to eat such large or starchy breakfasts every day.  Any suggestions?

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
For breakfasts I've done hard boiled eggs with smoked salmon.  To do it up right, you really need some cream cheese, capers, and diced red onion.  Oh yeah, put some real butter on those eggs, with salt & pepper.

I also did avocados with sour cream, or alternatively avocados with canned salmon mashed up with cream cheese, or alternatively with canned tuna mashed up with cream cheese.  Avocados are awesome, but some people get tired of them after a while.

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:51:06 PM »
I've been on Atkins inspired diet since August. Trying to minimize carbs, most of the days below 20g. I guess it should be easier to just join ;)

As far as breakfasts go - I find that frying some eggs in the morning work quite well for me. It takes like 10 mins or so, I put some onions, salt, paper and nanami togarashi and its perfect. I used to put some homemade ranch with mayo and half-and-half, but I read that diary is not really good for us, so currently trying to give up on that.

This morning I was late to wake up, so instead opted for hard-boiled eggs with some mayo, salt, and a hot sauce. Worked quite well, for late, on work, breakfast.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »
OurTown - that sounds delish!  Sadly, I found that I have a dairy issue and so I no longer enjoy cream cheese.  I miss it though.  Doing induction type of diet without dairy can be challenging.  I've been using coconut milk as dairy substitute but it has its limitations.

Welcome Ingon!  Since August, wow!  Were you able to stay on track during the holidays?  I was doing well over the summer and then all hell broke loose.

Today was not a low carb success for me.   :(

But I'm trying again tomorrow! 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 09:18:01 AM »
Ok, today I'm going to wait a bit and take my antibiotic after my meal instead of before.  When I first started it didn't make a difference if I took it before or after, I still got nausea unless I ate lots of starch.  But it's been almost a month and maybe my body has adjusted to it.  I'll have my meal, take my pill, and if I get nausea I'll eat a banana and see how that goes.

Wish me luck.  I really want this to work.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »
I know you've all been waiting anxiously to hear if it worked.  It did! It's been 3 hours and no nausea.  I increased the veggies in my curry and ate more than I normally would, but it worked.  Didn't need to eat a banana either.  Yay!

I had a slight warm feeling in my tummy - similar to mild heartburn - for a bit, but not too bad.  I'm having curry again for lunch since it has ginger and some claim it helps with nausea and stomach upset, so no harm in trying. 

I might hit my first low-carb day in 2017.  :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
As far as breakfasts go - I find that frying some eggs in the morning work quite well for me. It takes like 10 mins or so, I put some onions, salt, paper and nanami togarashi and its perfect. I used to put some homemade ranch with mayo and half-and-half, but I read that diary is not really good for us, so currently trying to give up on that.
Mmm... love paper with my eggs too.

Kidding aside, I do often find myself feeling better/thinking clearer with a more keto-style diet.  Might have to join up.

Some of my go-to quick derpy recipes:

Breakfast: Basic-bitch scrambled eggs with butter, salt, pepper, and paprika, maybe throw in some extra spare vegetables (usually red peppers, onions, or cauliflower rice).  Usually I'll make five, and then also while cooking it make a quick coconut milk smoothie with one can of full-fat coconut milk, one raw egg, frozen blueberries, sometimes a banana, sometimes an avocado, and some collagen and vanilla extract.

Lunch:
Baked chicken thighs in the convection oven in the break room at work.  Lazy 12oz steam-in-the-bag microwave broccoli and cauliflower.
Canned tuna and avocado over greens with ginger dressing

Snacking is generally either 100% unsweetened baker's chocolate (yeah, I'm weird), or homemade kimchi (yeah, I'm weird), or macadamia nuts.  I also like to do coconut-oil-buzzed green tea or mate.

Real recipes for dinner:
Curried ground pork
Meatloaf
Big-ass bistro chicken salad with avocado
Macadamia honey-mustard dressing over pan-fried chicken breast and romaine
Bacon liver pate
Shrimp with kelp noodles stir-fry
Salmon and artichokes with lemon-garlic-butter sauce
Beef taco wraps with homemade guac

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:56 PM »
Were you able to stay on track during the holidays?

Well it worked quite well. The only time I gave up on it is with a shared bottle of Egg Nog on NY eve. This was planned, executed, and thoroughly enjoyed, but I figured that once in an year is fine ;)

I haven't been a big eater of bread, pasta or potatoes for the longest time, and rice haven't been a staple for me too, so I haven't had much issues in pushing this further. My wife is supporting me, we frequently go to barbecue places where my son also enjoys turkey meat and I enjoy to moistest brisket possible. One time they even cut the fat out, and I asked if they are going to just give to me for free. So delicious, idk why is not considered good.

I had my blood work done recently, and everything was well within limits. So I'm not really worried about the effects of eating too meaty, although I realize that its probably not the high-fat diet I should be following. More like a modest-fat one.

I sometimes go and buy those Atking products, especially from the Treats line. I realize its not really mustachian and I'm trying to give up on that, but it takes some time and discipline. Also sun-setting the whole milk industry as it affects your insulin levels in hugely unexpected ways (e.g. makes you fat without much carbs).

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »
If I do this, do I get the puppy in the picture? Please say yes!

Okay, I'm in. I'm already doing low-carb because it's really the only way of eating that works well for me. And I feel sooooo good when I don't eat many carbs. But I fell off the wagon (hard!) over the holidays. So, yeah, I'm in.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 05:07:39 AM »
I've been low-carb (and more recently European grass-seed free) for years.  But every Christmas I fall off the wagon - it's the eggnog.  And the rum in the eggnog.  And . . . . . .     So I am in.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 08:35:07 AM »
Once you start measuring carefully, it's surprising how many carbs creep in there.  I'm averaging more like 80g per day.  This makes me sad.

But, the act of measuring makes you more mindful of what you are eating, so there's that.  Maybe next week I can keep it to 20g per day.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »
It's so nice to come on here and find all these fresh new faces and comments from everyone!

OurTown - Maybe when you start doing the 20g per day challenge, I'll be motivated to join you.  Right now my goal is just reducing enough to be in the low-carb range.  80g is not bad though, specially for a male. 

RetiredAt63 - Yeah, the eggnog was my one 'holiday' indulgence this year.  Glad to have you here!

Miss Piggy - Yes, you can!!!  :)   Glad to have you join us.  And glad to have a fellow cute puppy lover in the group. 

Ingon - You're so nonchalant about the whole starch thing - love it!  Interesting about the dairy... I've found dairy very hard to give up even when I know it's damaging to me.  Must be something in there to make it addictive.

ketchup - Welcome!  Check you out with your fantastic recipes and meals - and you're only 25?  You're a wise one.... I'm glad to have you join our group. 

Success!  Day 1
I'm happy to report that I had my successful day 1 of low-carb eating yesterday.  So happy.  I did have a challenging moment in the afternoon when I began to crave sweets, but I was able to resist by journaling about it.

What I ate:
breakfast & lunch - curry bowl = beef with mushrooms and zuccini
snack - roasted cashews
dinner - green salad with hard-boiled eggs and caeser dressing

Looking forward to day 2.  How y'all doing?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:00:27 AM by M.Darcy »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »
ketchup - Welcome!  Check you out with your fantastic recipes and meals - and you're only 25?  You're a wise one.... I'm glad to have you join our group.
Hah, thanks.  I suppose I'm compensating a bit for the first ~20 years of my life that consisted of no "real" cooking and eating nothing but breakfast cereal, peanut butter sandwiches, pasta with ketchup, and skim milk.

GF and I are in the process of finishing out our re-introduction after doing 30 days of full-on AIP Paleo in October.  Tomorrow we're reintroducing tomatoes.

Today:
No real breakfast this morning due to excessive vehicular ice scraping required, but I snacked on some macadamia nuts in the morning at work and had coconut-oil-buzzed tea.

Baking some chicken thighs right now for lunch at work, and will steam-in-the-bag up some lazy vegetables (broccoli and cauliflower) to go with it.

Dinner tonight will be macadamia dressing over chicken breast and romaine.

I suppose today's themes are macadamia and chicken.

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »
You're so nonchalant about the whole starch thing - love it!

I actually hate beans, so there is that too :)

I've found dairy very hard to give up even when I know it's damaging to me.  Must be something in there to make it addictive.

Well sugar, fat and protein - everything we are hardwired to like. Most of my milk usage have been Half-and-half for my ranch, but then I realized that the portion size of nutrition info is like 2 spoons, so its actually loaded on sugar (and fat of course). This set me on a path to give it up completely, which unfortunately includes the ranch (which I make with 50% milk and 50% mayo, plus the dry ranch from costco). I tried replacing with Bulgarian/Greek yogurt, but the taste is a bit sour for me, although the yogurt alone I dig.

Anyhow, today's menu was:
Breakfast - fried eggs (1 chicken and 1 duck) in ghee with some green onions. Salt, paper and nanami togarashi by the feel. Some mayo on the side.

Lunch - some kind of beef stir fry (but only the meat) + salad (lettuce, onion, black olives, tomato, and edamame) with a pour of wasabi ranch.

Dinner - kofta kebabs + salad (lettuce, onion, avocado) + baked asparagus (god I love that thing) + mayo.

No alcohol today!

EDIT:

Forgot about:
Black espresso half way through the morning.

A sachet of Atkins treats - https://www.atkins.com/products/treats/treats/chocolate-candies. These are my major shame and I'm trying to drop them gradually to 0.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:06:58 PM by Ingon »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 03:56:41 AM »
Some of my favorite low carb recipes are

Cauliflower faux mashed potatoes - roast cauliflower don't steam
Ground flax boneless wings
Roasted Brussels
Roasted green beans
Instant pot balsamic pot roast
Stir fried broccoli with peanut sauce
Roasted pork tenderloin with chimichurri (food Network GZ)

I eat slow carb too so I've found a great chip substitute also works as pizza dough (it's Paleo but allows beans over fruit no potatoes)

It's a twist on socca dough.
1 part garbanzo beans flower to one part water
Any seasonings you like
Ad water so you can make it thin enough to spread into a thin layer on a griddle. 
Makes a thin pancake like batter
Spread in thin 10inch circles on griddle
Currently using fresh clacked black pepper on the up side before it sets to add more flavor
4-5 minutes each side at 350.
Into the oven at 250 until dried out and crispy.
Breakup into chips afterwards
Remove before extreme crispy to use as pizza crust.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
boarder42 - all of your food sounds yummy.  And I'd never heard of slow carb before!  So you eat beans but no fruit or potatoes?  Interesting.  That socca dough sounds delish.  I can imagine that the flavor is quite good as I do like garbanzo beans.  I'm going to remember this for when I introduce beans back into my diet.

Ingon - I've never tried any of the Atkins products.  Maybe it's a good thing :)  And what is kofta?  I'm going to have to google that.  Ok, looked it up.  And I'm liking this new Asian vibe here.  I've been doing curry for a few months and this new kofta and nanami togashari might be the new thing to try next month. 

ketchup - that's so cool that you can cook your lunch at work, and that you actually do it.  I still think 25 is very young to have all your shit together the way you (and your GF) seem to.  And I would like to get your recipes for ginger and macadamia dressing - I'm going to bold that so you don't miss it :)

Day 2 - success
Yay!  Yesterday was my 2nd day of low-carb. Not much in the way of cravings but I did have some tiredness and a slight headache in the evening.  I'm guessing it's the switch over from carb to fat fueling.  :)  That sounds terrible, doesn't it?  Anyway, I took a nap for the fatigue and resisted the impulse to eat or medicate the headache and after a generous dinner it went away on its own.  I must admit that the few days before my day 1 success were chock-full of carbs - popcorn, fruit, bagels... so it's no wonder there was some bumps along the road.

What I ate:
breakfast - eggs, sausage, zucchini
lunch - quick soup = broth, cubed pork, shrimp, veggies, lemon juice, serrano pepper
snack - pistachios
dinner - salad with ranch dressing, and quick soup same as lunch but bigger portion.

You guys and gals have inspired me to mix up my meals a bit and today I picked up some tuna and chicken thighs for roasting.  Tip:  if you salt your meat a few days in advance (or even overnight) the meat will be much tastier.  I learned this from The Zuni Cafe cookbook; the SF restaurant is famous for their roasted chicken. It really does make a difference.  I work from home so I have no excuse for getting into a food rut. 

Anyone eating sardines?  I keep hearing how great they are nutrition-wise, but haven't been able to take the plunge.  If you eat them, please share! 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:27:06 PM by M.Darcy »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »
I like sardines, but not everyone does.

Tonight I'm probably going to chow down on a porterhouse with a salad and some steamed vegetables.  Hold the bread!  No potatoes!  No dessert!  No booze! 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 03:29:05 PM »
I like sardines, but not everyone does.

Tonight I'm probably going to chow down on a porterhouse with a salad and some steamed vegetables.  Hold the bread!  No potatoes!  No dessert!  No booze!

Ok, now I want to defrost my tri-tip and grill it!  Your dinner sounds amazing. 

Now... the sardines - how do you eat them?  I want all the details.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:33:16 PM by M.Darcy »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »
Fruit is quite unnecessary high sugar all nutrients can be found more efficiently in their lower sugar veggie counterparts

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »
Fruit is quite unnecessary high sugar all nutrients can be found more efficiently in their lower sugar veggie counterparts
Agree with this completely. Haven't had a fruit for a while and I don't have micro-nutrients issues. Turns out, carbs are non-essential, so if we don't get enough, our body makes it (yey for us)

I have tried sardines from a can, but I cannot say I liked it. Maybe there is a way around this, so I'm eager to know more too!

The kebab I know are mostly Balkans thing, I'm not sure about the correct culinary translation. Also its know as cevapi. Its basically ground meat (some beef/pork/lamb combo) with some spices on grill (or oven). Its delicious.

As for today's menu, it was pretty much the same:
Breakfast - scrambled eggs with a bit of mayo
Mid-morning - black espresso
Lunch - we had fish (tilapa) + salad (same as before) + wasabi ranch
Dinner - kofta kebabs + salad (butter lettuce, onion, jalapeno, mayo, salt, paper, a spoon of Bulgarian yogurt) + baked asparagus
Snack through the day - another atkins sachet (shame)
A handful of roasted pumpkin seeds after dinner. Really low on carb and high on fat.

No alcohol again!

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 09:05:21 PM »
I just completed 2 weeks of low carb (less than 40 for me), so we took the night off and went to a charity fish fry.  Back on the program tomorrow for another 2 weeks.  My problem is that I cannot face an egg for breakfast.  I tried.  I have been having one slice of whole wheat 45 cal bread with peanut butter and an atkins chocolate shake for breakfast.  Lunch is usually a smoothie (spinach, frozen blueberries, low carb yogurt, ice and almond milk.  Usually the same every day for breakfast and lunch.  Supper is meat and veggies.  Clothes that were pinching me two weeks ago are fitting now.   One good thing I have made is the mini pizzas made with cauliflower crust.  Pretty tasty.  I think I will make them again tomorrow.

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 06:24:28 AM »
My problem is that I cannot face an egg for breakfast.

Might sound controversial, but for a while I was having salad for breakfast. Add some ranch (home made to make sure its low on sugar) to lettuce (and other things) and you start the day with a full belly, vitamin explosion, and a good portion of water. Now I have to eat that tomorrow again.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 07:53:53 AM »
I'm in... I feel so much better going low carb. I usually have scrambled eggs, veggies and salsa for breakfast. Add a sausage patties if I'm really hungry. Lunch is meat and veggies. Yesterday was ham and cauliflower. Snack is cheese or nuts, sometimes with a small apple. Dinner is more meat and veggies and salad. I will eat some beans/legumes. Taco Tuesday is ground beef, tomatoes, red lentils, onion, spices in the crock pot, eat over lettuce with black beans, sour cream, cheese, onions, cilantro and diced bell peppers. This is also wed lunch.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »
Yesterday was my day 3 so I think I've officially made it past the hard part. Wasn't too bad and I can stop tracking the days now.  And this morning I have no appetite at all.  I made a good breakfast (eggs, mushrooms, sausage) and when I looked at it on the plate, I thought "hmm, I could be happy with half of that."  And when I started eating, I'm just not hungry.  The food tastes good, but.... meh.  I didn't remember this part coming up so quickly.  Kinda surprised.  I'm still eating some - I'll try for half - because if I don't, my meds will give me problems.  But I haven't eaten in 16 hours and here I am, feeling like it's a chore to eat.

What I ate yesterday:
breakfast - eggs, sausage, zucchini
lunch - tuna salad on romaine lettuce and red bell pepper
snack - pistachios and a few cashews
dinner - big bowl of quick soup = broth, pork, mushrooms, zucchini, cilantro, lemon juice, serrano pepper

Today's plan is to make a batch of beef and kale curry and the thought of that just sounds bleh.  The thought of eating sounds bleh.  Too funny!  Maybe I'll feel differently after the daily walk with the dogs.  But it definitely means I need to cut back the portion size of my meals.  Good news, just surprised. 

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
Lastly I learned to drink a lot of sparkling water. Topo Chico is my weapon of choice, but the point is that it gives me some flavor, but no calories. I wonder if this is good or bad yet, was planning to research, but haven't found the time yet.

The usual update:
Breakfast - eggs (the usual, only this time, and moving forward, chicken only) + mayo
Mid-morning - black espresso
Lunch - tricky as usual on Saturday, but I had 1/4 lb of moist brisket with a "small" salad from a salad bar joint
Dinner - Some chicken skewers + with lettuce based salad + mayo
Some Atkins shit. And some roasted pumpkin seeds.
No alcohol again today. Now its a streak which I don't wanna break (oops)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »

I always wonder about the Atkins shit. I buy it and I eat it, and I'm particularly fond of the chocolate chip cookie dough bars, but I do wonder if they're pulling the wool over my eyes on their "net carbs" calculation. Thoughts?

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »

I always wonder about the Atkins shit. I buy it and I eat it, and I'm particularly fond of the chocolate chip cookie dough bars, but I do wonder if they're pulling the wool over my eyes on their "net carbs" calculation. Thoughts?

Truth to be told, its hard. For one, I too enjoy it and try to not look too closely when I eat it. I just want something sweet on the tongue from time to time, and this allows me to go there while still not breaking the commitment I've made. However, there are some things which make want to give up on that habit:
  • I see, on every package, that this product contains GMO. Maybe it doesn't say it on yours, but the Treat line is full of them. And of course this is huge negative, as I try to stay as close to nature as possible.
  • The other angle is that, low calorie sweeteners statistically have been associated with weight gain, as opposed to loss. So, suddenly, you are not helping yourself
  • Yet something more is that I oppose people who try to capitalize on their fame
  • I don't find it particularily mustachian, costs like $5-6 at our local store

Maybe I'm just strange. I want to give it up, and become cleaner and leaner, but so far I'm still finding excuses to not.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 10:03:45 AM »
To go back to the earlier discussion of choosing between fruit/beans/potatoes - I would choose fruit.  I can go long periods without beans or potatoes and not miss them, but I do miss fruit.  I like sweet potatoes but they're too carby, so I try to only eat them during the holidays.

Let's see what did I eat...

Saturday
breakfast - eggs, mushrooms, sausage
lunch - tuna salad on romaine, cucumber, red bell pepper
snack - pistachios
dinner - beef and veggie curry (kale, carrots, onions, garlic, cilantro) I know carrots are high carb, but I like them with kale

Sunday
breakfast - leftover beef and veggie curry
lunch - same as breakfast
dinner - salad (romaine, cucumber, red bell pepper) with ranch dressing and lots of fresh bacon - yum!  And 1 cup of beef & veggie curry

Sunday my appetite was very low.  I kind of had to force myself to eat 3 meals to be able to take my meds.  I couldn't finish my breakfast and I didn't eat lunch till 2:30 pm.  I was planning to roast some chicken thighs, but since I wasn't hungry, the idea of cooking was too much trouble so I just ate leftovers.  In the past, this decreased appetite and interest in food was always welcome.  Now, I do appreciate it but it makes taking my meds (which have to be taken with food) a bit challenging.  But it's a good challenge.  I'm going to see how I can make my meals more interesting (while still low carb) to meet this challenge.

We have 2 days of sunshine before more rain so I might fire up the grill and cook up some tasty meat for snacking on.  I'm thinking some chicken wings and Italian sausage.  That with some broccoli would make a filling and low-carb  meal.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:28:25 PM by M.Darcy »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »
Last night, beef taco wraps with homemade guac.  GF made roasted parmesan tomatoes (basically pizza without the crust, just sliced tomatoes with cheese and seasonings/olive oil).

Today for lunch, cabbage chili.

Tonight, chili-lime chicken.  Liver pate as well.

Good stuff.
ketchup - that's so cool that you can cook your lunch at work, and that you actually do it.  I still think 25 is very young to have all your shit together the way you (and your GF) seem to.  And I would like to get your recipes for ginger and macadamia dressing - I'm going to bold that so you don't miss it :)
Macadamia dressing:

3 tablespoons macadamia nut oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1½ teaspoons honey (runny)
1 teaspoon mustard
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 teaspoons parsley (fresh or dry, optional)
sea salt (to taste)
pepper (freshly ground, to taste)

Those are the ratios, but we usually multiply it by four for enough dressing to cover two big-ass salads.

"Japanese" ginger dressing (not as low-carb friendly due to both sugar and ketchup):
 1/2 cup chopped onion
 1/2 cup peanut oil or light olive oil
 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
 2 tablespoons water
 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
 2 tablespoons minced celery
 2 tablespoons ketchup
 4 teaspoons soy sauce
 2 teaspoons white sugar or honey
 2 teaspoons lemon juice
 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »
Liver pate as well.

Please elaborate, where do you purchase this? How to prepare it? Is it similar in flavor/texture/mouth-feel to anything else?

I grew up with liver and onions but no one else in the family will engage so I stay away from it, maybe I could "work this in" somewhere (fool em into eating it!   :)
This is the recipe I make: http://autoimmunewellness.com/bacon-beef-liver-pate-with-rosemary-and-thyme/

I buy my grass fed liver from a local farm. $2.50/lb.

My girlfriend wishes I didn't tell her it was liver, and we don't call it that at home.  It's "ground beef dip".  It's delicious. It just tastes like well seasoned ground meat in that recipe.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
ketchup - thanks for the recipes.  They both look fantastic.  I'm trying to hold off on sugar till Feb, and this will give me something to look forward to.  Cheers!

infromsea - hi there!  Thanks for the encouraging words.  The thing is that I'm on meds for the next 2 months that require me to have the 3 regular meals otherwise the meds give me nausea.  A weird problem to have, I know.  But it's doable.  I just have to not worry about weight loss or any of that right now.  I'm using salads to bulk up my meals instead of starchy foods which is what I was doing before.  So I might not be able to do the 20g induction phase.  Not yet anyway. 

What did I eat?  I had to look up where I'm at and was surprised that I'm only on day 7 today.  It feels like I've been eating this way for a long time!  So today will be one full week.

Monday:
breakfast - eggs, sausage
lunch - 1/2 bowl of beef & veggie curry
snack - a few chicken wings fresh off the grill
dinner - grilled chicken wings, salad (romaine, cucumber, carrots, red bell pepper) with ranch dressing and crumbled bacon

My appetite was better yesterday afternoon after having a 1-hour walk in the morning and then being out running errands and spending some time at home cooking and being busy.  When the wings were done, I was like... YUMMMMMMM.

Oh, I also roasted a big batch of bones for broth yesterday and now I have a large pot of simmering broth for this week. 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »
Day 7
Breakfast - eggs and sausage
Lunch - grilled Italian sausage with sautéed kale
Snack - English breakfast tea with coconut milk and Splenda
Dinner - grilled chicken (thigh and wings),  salad (romaine, cuke, carrots, red bell pepper) with ranch and crumbled bacon

I'm definitely seeing a difference in how my face and body look.  I've lost the bloated look I get when I eat excess carbs and I don't weigh, but I can tell I've lost weight even though I've been eating a lot.  I'm glad I've stuck to it despite the issues with my meds.  It's worth it.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »
I'm in. I'm in the same boat. I feel so much better when I'm low carb with lots of meat and veggies. The hard part is buying and preparing the necessary meat for meals. Oh, and staying away from the carbs that I serve with dinner for the rest of the family.
Maybe reading this thread will help.
So if 20g is the limit, then the yogurt I ate for breakfast at 15 grams is almost my full days allowance. Ugh. This might be hard.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
Day 7
Lunch - grilled Italian sausage with sautéed kale
Dinner - grilled chicken (thigh and wings),  salad (romaine, cuke, carrots, red bell pepper) with ranch and crumbled bacon

I'm definitely seeing a difference in how my face and body look.  I've lost the bloated look I get when I eat excess carbs and I don't weigh, but I can tell I've lost weight even though I've been eating a lot.  I'm glad I've stuck to it despite the issues with my meds.  It's worth it.
Way to go, M.Darcy!

We had this last night: http://autoimmunewellness.com/bistro-chicken-salad-garlic-thyme-vinaigrette/  Greatest salad ever.  Truly a big hearty meal.  Tripled the dressing because reasons.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 01:35:02 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys! 

Beancounter - 20g is kinda tough at first.  I think I might be around 30g right now, maybe more?  Hard to say as I don't measure or weigh.  And the meds make it difficult to go lower than this.  But even at this range I see a lot of benefits.   Good luck!  Feel free to post here if you find it helpful.  The more the merrier.  :)

Ketchup - that bistro salad looks amazing.  That's on my wish list this coming week.  :)

I'm going to keep tracking and logging because it helps a lot. 

Day 8
Snack - sautéed broccoli with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice
Lunch - 1 cup bone broth, 1 cup beef & veggie curry, green salad (romaine, cuke, carrot, red bell pepper) with ranch & crumbled bacon
Dinner - 1 cup bone broth, grilled chicken thigh and wing, sauteed broccoli same as snack

I increased my physical activity in the morning to increase my appetite in the hopes of reducing the nausea from my a.m. meds.  I added a 25 min strength training workout and increased my walk to 1 hour.  My appetite did increase, and I ate more than usual, but the bit of nausea was still there in the afternoon.  Tomorrow I will try something else and see how it goes.

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 08:09:34 PM »
I've been going somewhat the same - eggs for breakfast, meat and salad for lunch. A bit of Atkins shit. The big change is back to alcohol dinner (a couple of drinks with salad or pumpkin seeds). Not really liking it, but at least its somewhat in the line of the diet. Will trying giving this up again.

Outside that, I've been running a lot for the past year and I'm into that. Right now I'm going light, trying to understand and develop new schedule, but its around 3h/w. Not too much, but not little either. Need to push that to around 4h/w, to have some chance in the upcoming marathon.

Anyhow, Darcy, Keep up the good. I try to eat salad every meal (except breakfast that is). One of my favorite places is called Salata. :D