Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2019  (Read 59327 times)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2019
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
I'm putting myself out for financial facepunches (but I'm not not too worried about it) - but we are utilizing a meal delivery service right now. We are planning on using it through the end of January to make sure DH and I are eating healthy lunches. I am enjoying the mindlessness of it and how healthy it feels too.

The biggest downside to lots of veggies for me is definitely the prep time.
If this ends up working for you, why not?

A friend did one of those diet meal plans where they delivered diet food to her. She had tried everything else throughout the years. That ended up working perfectly for her and she has kept the weight off for at 2+ years now. I think it removed the thinking and planning part of dieting. And after she lost the weight, she knew how to eat and was able to keep it off.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2019, 03:03:37 PM »
I'm putting myself out for financial facepunches (but I'm not not too worried about it) - but we are utilizing a meal delivery service right now. We are planning on using it through the end of January to make sure DH and I are eating healthy lunches. I am enjoying the mindlessness of it and how healthy it feels too.

5 years ago now I was working on trying to lose the 2nd baby weight.  I still did most of the food prep myself, but a lot of convenience foods were added to my repertoire.

My grocery expenditures were 2x a typical year that year ($10k vs $5500).  Totally worth it, because I lost the weight and have kept it off.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2019, 03:11:35 PM »
I started 2018 pregnant.  Baby arrived in March and I was 215 lbs right before delivery and I was 200 lbs before I got pregnant, I am only 5'3".  Turns out that baby has several different food allergies and in order for me to keep nursing her I had to go on a pretty strict diet.  I am sitting at 160 lbs right now and seem to be holding steady between 155-160 for the last couple months. I feel great and would be happy to just maintain this weight and not gain any back!  However, the internet tells me that I need to lose at least 20 lbs more to be at the high end of a healthy weight range. So I would love to lose another 20 lbs but would also be very happy to report back at the end if the year with 0 weight gain.  Either way I am assuming that tracking weight will provide the a similar accountability as budgeting my finances. 

Weekly log in
Wed, Jan 9th: 161.6lbs

Edited to add exact weight
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:26:14 AM by Slow&Steady »

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 07:20:52 AM »
one full week into weighing myself and tracking my food:

Jan 2 2019: 161 lbs
Jan 9 2019: 157.4 lbs

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 07:58:17 AM »

5 years ago now I was working on trying to lose the 2nd baby weight.  I still did most of the food prep myself, but a lot of convenience foods were added to my repertoire.

My grocery expenditures were 2x a typical year that year ($10k vs $5500).  Totally worth it, because I lost the weight and have kept it off.

@mm1970 - you are always awesome and supportive and understanding of life :)  I actually made it frugally through my kids' baby years, mostly because we were grad student poor and had no choice. Now my oldest kid has several nights a week of PT and OT and I just can't keep up with the cooking anymore. Because of our earlier super frugal years I have been feeling really guilty about paying ( a lot) for convenience and variety, but you made me feel better! Whatever we can do to get through where we are at - right?

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2019, 08:36:09 PM »
Yay. Finally got some movement on the scale after seeing the same number for several days now. My weight is funny - I tend to drop in a whoosh a1-2 times a week so just have to be patient and trust the process.

I am logging and getting activity in. Yesterday I went for a 60min (very slow) run. Today I got in a 45min aquafit class followed by a 30 min lap swim. Really enjoying the aquafit and just bought a 1 month membership. Plan to go at least 3 days a week. Don't think it will help with cardio/weightloss but hoping it will improve my strength and flexibility. Also good for my mother to be able to work out with less potential for injury. Plus, it's fun :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 10:29:34 PM »
After not getting very far until late 2018, I'm at it again, and really determined. My goal is to lose 2kg/month (=4.4lbs) until I'm no longer obese. For me thats about 74kg. I've not been this weight for about 15 years.

I climbed back into the weightloss saddle at the beginning of November, and lost 4kg in 2018...ending at 92kg. I'm on track for January weighing in this morning at 90.6. My current strategy is to  go fully keto early in the month, and once the weight is lost gradually add a few more carbs to maintain a plateau until next month.  Seems to be working so far.

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 06:46:44 AM »
12-14-18 - Beginning Weight:  188.1
01-03-19 - 185.2 - Down 2.9  Remaining to First Goal:  5.2  Remaining to Second Goal:  10.2 - revised
01-10-19 - 183.6 - Down 1.6  Remaining to First Goal:  3.6  Remaining to Second Goal:  8.6

I'm not sure I'll make my stretch or second goal.  I'm 5'11" and 175 may be too thin for my frame.  We'll see how things look and feel at 180.

More important than losing weight is growing and maintaining a healthy, sustainable lifestyle.  I don't want to get so thin that I become obsessed over every bite I take.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 12:06:26 PM »
@happy You CAN do this!!! Sounds like your head is in the game and I feel that is the very most important part.

@C-note I agree - a healthy sustainable loss is the ideal. I have reached my goal of 130lbs a couple of times now. This time I need to figure out how to keep it off. And develop a generally healthy routine. A lot of that comes from actually liking myself and not going off into an endless guilty spiral of binging on junk.

Megs193

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2019, 01:33:40 PM »
I’m so glad I found this. I though 2017 was the year that I finally learned how to eat healthy and maintain my weight but in 2018 I gained 20 pounds. :(. I have decided to give up sugar and make sure I’m getting 64 ounces of water a day to get back to basics. My starting weight is 158.8 and my goal weight is 140. I am 5’3” so based off he BMI charts I could go even lower but this has always felt like a comfortable weight for me.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 01:54:59 PM »

Jumping in here...last June I started working on losing weight (blood work showed me creeping up into pre-diabetic, and I was like, noooope, not sticking myself with needles for the rest of my life, uh uh). My high was 225, and as of today I'm 172.8, for a total loss of just over 52 lbs. My target weight is 140, at which point I'll see how I feel as to whether I want to lose any more or not.

So far this has been entirely done through calorie tracking, using My Fitness Pal (free version) to log my food. I still eat most of what I used to (frappuccinos are my crack), just less of it. Some things I did cut out, though, deciding they weren't worth the calories for the amount of fullness/satisfaction they provided. I haven't been doing any exercise, although I have vague ambitions toward starting walking again at some point, and I've dug out and set up my old Wii so I can play around with the exercise games. And if I continue on track with this, I'm thinking of buying a bike this spring. I haven't had a bike since I was a preteen! But if I get fit enough, I can potentially ride my bike to work--it's only 4 miles. So very mustachian of me. :D

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 03:04:11 PM »
Wow, Vibrissae! What fantastic progress, you are an inspiration. May the next 30 lbs leave you in good time.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:29 PM »
Will join again, I did ok at the beginning half of last year but then the weight and unhealthy eating crept back up in the middle of the year

Current weight - 65kg
Goal Weight - under 60kg

I have booked in to get my body fat percentage and such done at the work gym, so its more a goal of getting that down.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 10:25:43 PM »
@Megs193 Weightloss is such a mindgame! Here's to hoping 2019 will be YOUR year!

@Vibrissae That is so amazing! Congrats on all your hard work. I agree - I like logging on MyFitnessPal. My mother is trying to convince me to go keto, do intermittent fasting, take fancy multivitamins (apparently getting supplements will cut off my binging habit), yada yada yada. I prefer to just eat less, move more. I am definitely working in upping my veggie content as I know better nutrition is good for me.

@nnls It's frustrating when you do well and then the weight just creeps back on, isn't it? I lost about 10 lbs last year and was so frustrated when the fall saw me piling that on...and then another 15 more for good measure. This time I really want it to be gone for good.

I have continued to do well and logging daily. I am only weighing a few things here and there so doing a whole lot of estimating. I'd like to tighten that up but am not going to get too anal about it for now.

Today I went for a TWO HOUR run!!! That is the first time ever for me! 3 years ago, I wasn't able to run more than half a block or so without hurting badly (even though I did a lot of long distance hiking and biking). I started doing some running on the spot in the house and a few months later was able to (very slowly) run 15 mins without stopping. Eventually that became 30 mins. By last year, I was very occasionally running 45+ mins. A couple of days ago, I ran 60 mins. Today I felt great so I just kept on going and going and going. Did take a 10 min break (stopped at the grocery store) and then just kept it up - was shocked when I got home and found out I had been out for more than 2 hours!! WOOHOOOO!!!

Mind ya....75% of the run was at an excruciatingly slow walking pace. My kids laugh at me when I call it a "run". Still, this ex-couch potato is impressed enough with myself to count it as "running" :) :) :) After all, it's definitely not walking :)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 11:36:35 PM »

Today I went for a TWO HOUR run!!! That is the first time ever for me! 3 years ago, I wasn't able to run more than half a block or so without hurting badly (even though I did a lot of long distance hiking and biking). I started doing some running on the spot in the house and a few months later was able to (very slowly) run 15 mins without stopping. Eventually that became 30 mins. By last year, I was very occasionally running 45+ mins. A couple of days ago, I ran 60 mins. Today I felt great so I just kept on going and going and going. Did take a 10 min break (stopped at the grocery store) and then just kept it up - was shocked when I got home and found out I had been out for more than 2 hours!! WOOHOOOO!!!

Mind ya....75% of the run was at an excruciatingly slow walking pace. My kids laugh at me when I call it a "run". Still, this ex-couch potato is impressed enough with myself to count it as "running" :) :) :) After all, it's definitely not walking :)

That is a great achievement well done. Have you ever done park run? It was something else I was doing last year and havent done since October (when I went on my holiday) but I found trying to beat my PB was a good motivator

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2019, 06:35:05 AM »
Recorded official starting weight which is 237.4lbs, first goal is sub 230 by end of January.

My amazing wife is extremely health conscious but has terrible willpower when I suggest we go out to eat or we have bad foods in the house so a lot will ride on our shopping habits. Did get a small win yesterday when I went to the grocery store and only bought what was on the list including a salad for dinner. We just got back from 3 weeks out of the country with lots of western European foods (bread, meat and cheese mainly) so that will take some adjusting for sure. The upside is that I'm sort of expecting fairly quick drops down to 230.

We are going back to Europe in May and I'd love to lose 15kg by then, I know that's not a healthy clip but even losing 10 would be yuuuge so why not try for 15 and get there.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
Week one 1/11/19: -7.8
GOAL: -40 by October

Man I must have packed on some really trashy Xmas weight for it to melt off like that. I'm not planning on that kind of progress in going forward, but it sure is nice to be off to the right start. That first week always helps to build momentum in my mind.

My true goal is to lose 1lb per week but I currently have my calorie tracker set to 1.5lbs per week to start, which gives me a bit of a cushion in the event that I slip up, which usually happens on the weekends. I remember the last time I lost weight it was like minus 2-3lbs during the routine-loving weekdays, and plus 1-2lbs on the weekend for a net loss that I was happy with. If I can conquer any bad weekend habits this time around, I think I'll be in really good shape.

My successes this week were 1) only eating the salad from a large catered lunch at work, 2) skipping on "treats day" which is EVERY WEDNESDAY at work, and 3) the front desk lady at the gym knows me now and called me "Mrs. Dependable" for coming in so early each morning.

My SO laughed at me last night when he saw me get out the sharpie marker and mark exactly 8oz on my wine glass. I was like what, I have calories left, I just need help with portion control lol...

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
1/2: starting weight 172.4
1/11: 171.8

Signed up for a half marathon in June, so I'm motivated to drop some weight to make the running easier!

JustK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »
I'm in!

I kinda-sorta started eating better on January 1, but I have really been struggling with the guilt of throwing away perfectly "good" (as in, edible) junk food that has crept into my pantry since Halloween.  I've been eating healthier overall, stopped the mindless snacking at work (it's been a stressful couple months due to a new software implementation gone awry), cut way back on booze consumption (see: software implementation gone awry), and started working out gradually (slowly getting back to running and starting some strength training for the first time ever).

I also just joined @elaine amj 's HealthWage team challenge.  It sounds perfect for me.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
I'm off to a decent start in 2019 with only two major changes:

1.  I'm eating a "brunch" (timing is variable) every morning that is overnight oatmeal with 1/3 cup of greek yogurt topped with whatever fruit is in the house.  I really like the taste, and it is surprisingly filling for 290 calories (give or take with the fruit). 

2.  Per a MMM article from years ago, I've made myself accept that feeling the a slight stomach twinge is not a signal to consume half a day's worth of food.  It really is silly.  When I feel just a bit of discomfort being cold, I smile knowing I'm saving money on heat and I'm training myself to handle winter temps.  If I felt pain, I'd heat the house a little more.  When I'm running, and I feel discomfort because I'm losing my breath, I smile because I know I'm exercising correctly.  If I felt pain, I'd slow or stop.  When I wake up a little sore, I smile because that means my muscles are rebuilding.  If I felt pain I'd re-evaluate my activities.  However, if I so much as became aware my stomach wanted food, I'd immediately prepare a significant amount to eat.  Now I realize that it is a signal of discomfort and caloric deficit, not any type of pain.  When I approach a more significant level, then it's time to re-fuel. 

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2019, 01:05:46 PM »
I'm in.  My stretch goal is 12 lbs, but I'd be happy with 8-10.
I started looking into intermittent fasting (but only 12-14 hours fasting). 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
@JustK can you cobble together a bunch of junk food and give it away at a potluck or something? I have a bunch of cookies and lemon curd and am thinking of making some kind of dessert on Sunday for a potluck.

Glad you are finding HealthyWage helpful! How much did u end up putting in? I kinda shocked myself when I put in $600 instead of the $300 I was instead planning. But I was surprised at my thought processes and ended up closing the number that have me the most motivation (i.e. Would hurt too much to lose)

@pressure9pa I agree with discomfort. Like you I am trying to reframe my thinking about when I need to eat. I worked on that 3 years ago and have been relatively successful with being okay with discomfort.

Got up early for a morning aquafit class then pushed myself to finish 30 mins of laps even though I was tired after 20 minutes. Still doing good foodwise. Fit in a half slice of cheesecake yesterday. But man that's a lot of calories! I am thinking I should portion more of my calories towards larger nutritious meals instead of junky snacks.

Right now I get 1200 calories a day + 200-500 calories from activity
Lunch: 300 calories
Dinner : 500 calories
Snacks throughout the day: 400-600 calories

It doesn't feel like I have balanced my meals well and worried I have too many calories free for junk food. My snacks are things like seaweed jelly, frozen mango chunks, fruit, chocolate, chips, or baked goodies.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
I have never joined a weight loss thread before but maybe I will try it!

I I'm 4'11", weigh 125 and would like to lose 5-8 pounds. I've actually already lost most of my goal--I was at 138 in May 2017.

I would even be OK with staying this weight. But there are two problems: (a) I have never been successful at maintaining my weight unless I am counting calories; (b) I seem to gain 5 pounds every time there is a vacation or holiday, and it gets harder and harder to lose. I was at 120 when I left for my wedding in September, 126.5 after the honeymoon cruise, down to 123, then back up to 128 after Thanksgiving.

@elaine amj, are we still friends on MFP? I have a new username because I changed my last name but I'm still on there. Let me know if you want to trade short-person food diaries :-). That 1200 calorie limit is brutal.

I have logged all my food for 10 days in a row, so yay me. Unfortunately, I was kind of lot over on some of those days :-). 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2019, 09:53:49 PM »
LBF! Cool to see you here :) You have lost so much weight in the last while...its been awesome to see. I hear ya about the difficulties of keeping it off without logging though. Struggling with that myself.

I am still the same username on MFP - elaineamj so happy to connect with you and other Mustachians. Shoot me a note on MFP so I know who you are :)

I seem to go in phases. Sometimes it is so easy to stay within my 1200 calories and sometimes it is so hard. I had Skinnytaste's Zoodles Lo Mein for dinner today. And for under 300 calories I was so stuffed I couldn't even nibble on my kids' leftovers even though I really wanted to. They got yummy homemade sweet and sour chicken/chick'n (we mixed real chicken with soy chunks to reduce their meat intake).

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
I'm down a pound so far. It seems like so little but considering I haven't been trying too hard it's not too bad. My motivation died, so I joined an 8 week weightless challange and set my goal at 12 pounds! That's a 750 cal/per deficit and very ambitious for me.

If I manage I'll be close to goal though, which will be awesome. Then I'll really need to focus on body recomposition for a while.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
I didnt lose anything this week.  Still logging in at about 163.  Just goes to show sweets arent always the culprit.  I need to course correct and will strive for more portion control.

Edited to say:  I actually did lose this week. I am estactic.

1/1 - 167
1/1 - 162.7
1/13 - 161.5

Making progress.  Although i am getting sweet cravings, just not as bad as I thought and able to work through them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:07:03 PM by alleykat »

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2019, 01:50:38 AM »
I'd like to join for accountability. I am 46 years old, with two kids (youngest is six), and cannot seem to get back to any pre-kid weight. I don't have that much weight to lose (depending on goal), but what I do have is "in the middle", the unhealthy part, so doctor said I need this to change. Also, I don't exercise (but want to start)... so I think I need to do something to be kind to my body, and most of all, to my heart. (Several diet/exercise related diseases in family history).

Current: 151.5 lbs (68.7 kgs)
First goal, to summer (June 1st): 141 lbs (64 kgs)
Long term goal: 128 lbs (58 kgs)
Height 5'4" (165 cm).

Resources & strengths:
* Myfitnesspal, started using in December and like it
* My work has given us free access to a gym (treadmills, machines, classes) situated less than 2 minutes indoor walk starting this Thursday and ending in July when we move offices.
* DH: he is a runner, still running several times a week even in the winter (studs on shoes)* Work culture: a lot of people pack lunches, eat healthy and exercise (same with friends and neighbors, lots of role models everywhere)
* I love walking and walk a lot

Obstacles and weaknesses:
* Am lazy
* Am stressed (full time work and two kids...)
* Hate winter (it is cold here, and icy & dark)
* Love food, chocolate, wine (same with DH, he is a wine collector)

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
Progress so far:

1/1   204
1/4   202
1/7   198.8
1/9   197.5
1/10 195.5
1/11 195.2
1/12 194.9

Miles run

1/1   3.3
1/3   3.3
1/4   3.3
1/6   4.3
1/7   4.3
1/9   4.3
1/10 4.3
1/11 4.3
1/12 3.8 (easy hike not run)
1/13 6.6

No drinking. Less junk food. Eating apples instead of chips.

For breakfast I’ll have two slices of black pudding, mostly skip lunch or just a small piece of sausage.
For dinner whatever I want although I try to avoid seconds.

Feeling better for sure! 

bcbaseballman

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
1-1-2019: 183.4 lbs
1-7-2019: 180.2 lbs
1-14-2019: 175.6 lbs

I was sick basically all of last week. therefore didn't eat a whole lot but then again didn't do much of anything. I guess losing weight is a good thing about being sick haha. Was back at it again this morning. Got up at 5:00 a.m which is hard for me. Normally wake up around 6:45. Went for a run (found out I do not like running in the cold. 21 Degrees here), made a good breakfast, and just felt good starting off the day. Hopefully all continues to go in the same direction, and happy I am not sick anymore.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2019, 03:18:18 AM »
I did two "good" days according to mfp, and since I've was on holiday before that, with salty food and wine, it shows on the scale.
I am down to 148.8 (67.5) this morning so I hope to have no issues w/the goal this week. I weigh in on Sundays normally, and want to be below 150.9 this week. Really hungry from time to time though, but I try to eat veggies. Both today and yesterday, I brought pasta with bean tomato sauce to work, + veggies & and a cabbage sallad for lunch, + carrot sticks for snacks. This also goes in line with my goals of keeping food cost lower and food healthier this year :-D

JustK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2019, 07:08:09 AM »
Goal: 140 lbs
1/1/19: 160.3
1/14/19: 156.4

I've been doing keto with intermittent fasting and increasing my exercise gradually.  I walk at lunch 3x per week and slow run/walk on the treadmill at the YMCA while my daughter has swimming lessons 2x per week.  I'm trying to commit to yoga 1x per week, and I have just added a second weekly weight-training session at my work fitness center, so I will be strength training 2x per week.  I am going slow and steady on this, rather than pretending that I'm going to run 5 miles a day, 3 days a week, and then getting frustrated with myself when I can't sustain that commitment.  I have a habit of self-sabotage when I set myself up for that kind of disappointment.   

Intermittent fasting and keto work very well for me because I am one of those people who can't just "cut back" when it comes to sweets, bread, chips, etc.  And I hate counting calories.  It's much easier for me to commit to telling myself "I don't eat cupcakes (or whatever) anymore" instead of lying to myself that I "deserve" just one cupcake.  That just invites the cravings back in.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:11:10 AM by JustK »

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
Are anyone else's pants feeling a bit loose today? I love that feeling... carry on! :)

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
@Rubyvroom I just saw your signature!!! Do you live in an Earthship?!?!?!

I am from NM originally and really miss living there, I only toured the Earthship community in Toas once but have wanted to build/live in one for probably at least 10-15 years.  At this point I am afraid it will only ever happen if I buy one (vs build my own) in the future because I just don't think I am up for all the manual work of pounding tires, I should have jumped in (both feet) when I was younger.  Anyways, if you do live in an Earthship, you are now officially one of the coolest people that I "know" (even if it is just as a random internet stranger)!

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »
@Rubyvroom I just saw your signature!!! Do you live in an Earthship?!?!?!

Not yet, but that's the plan! Feel free to hop over to my journal if you are so inclined, so as not to derail the thread here. And congrats on the new baby :)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »
Does anyone else find that MFP overestimates their metabolism? If I am over my calorie targets by a couple hundred calories a day, then MFP says I will still lose weight, just slowly, but in fact I do not. I maybe hold steady or maybe gain a smidge.

So I guess I better try hard to get closer to that calorie count...

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2019, 05:13:23 AM »
I am following along but not going to actively diet.  I have enough going on at the moment.  I am going to keep jumping on the scales each morning so that I don't put any weight back on that I lost in early December after a food poisoning incident.  I kept the weight off at Christmas due to a family crisis that ended with my father passing away, so food hasn't been in my thoughts.  I am actively now trying not to eat to comfort myself. 
Weigh in this morning was 133.5lbs.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
Our germy toddler spread a nasty head cold through the rest of the family that we are finally getting over. The baby is the last to get sick so hopefully tomorrow I can get back to my gym routine. Humidifiers on full blast!

Heading to the grocery store this morning instead to stock up on some vegetables for the week. Fingers crossed I don't give into temptation foods. I've been loving savory oatmeal with a fried egg for either breakfast or lunch most days. I'm hoping we can squeeze in a walk around town too to get some fresh air and movement.

Starting weight: 162
Current weight: 159
Weight loss: -3 lb

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:03 AM »
week two is in! Dropped down to 155.4 at my lowest but crept up a bit this morning, although the overall trend is downward. Still maintaining a deficit basically every day so far, although we have eaten out a couple of times and I'm always wary about "best guess" estimates for calories for restaurant food, as small local restaurants don't have any nutritional information available. Oh well, just doing the best I can.

Jan 02 2019: 161 lbs
Jan 09 2019: 157.4 lbs
Jan 16 2019: 157.2 lbs

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »
I find this is true for me as well. And I lose more slowly than they estimate as well

Does anyone else find that MFP overestimates their metabolism? If I am over my calorie targets by a couple hundred calories a day, then MFP says I will still lose weight, just slowly, but in fact I do not. I maybe hold steady or maybe gain a smidge.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2019, 03:23:25 PM »
Got my body measurements done at the gym, so now I have a starting point and goals for where I need to tone up and a bit more of an idea.

Current body fat percentage is 22.56% which is fine, but currently my hip to waist ratio isnt good so need to work on that

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2019, 06:27:59 AM »
I want to join!
I've been hovering around 180-185 (5'10")for the past 2 years which is the heaviest I've ever been.  I would like to get down to 160 lbs by EOY and reevaluate then.
They just opened a free gym at my work so I've been trying to go every lunch break but I'm prepared to not see any weight loss at first since I will be lifting weights and hopefully building more muscle.   I am pretty horrible about tracking food but we just got a cheap food scale so hopefully I can be slightly more accurate with homemade food by weight ingredients before hand.

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2019, 06:35:21 AM »
01-03-19 - 185.2 - Down 2.9  Remaining to First Goal:  5.2  Remaining to Second Goal:  10.2 - revised
01-10-19 - 183.6 - Down 1.6  Remaining to First Goal:  3.6  Remaining to Second Goal:  8.6
01-17-19 - 184.4 - Up 0.8  Remaining to First Goal:  4.4  Remaining to Second Goal  9.4

I'm not surprised by the uptick.  Work has been so busy that I haven't been able to eat lunch for the past 2 days and when I don't eat small meals on a regular schedule throughout my day, I don't lose weight.

I plan to make a strong attempt at holding 30 minutes for lunch even if it means I eat and whoever is in my office does all the talking. 

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
My goal for the end of the year is somewhere between maintaining my weight and losing 20-25(ish) lbs.  Google tells me the top end of a healthy weight for my height is 140 lbs, even when I was in the best shape of my life (played very competitive soccer and volleyball in high school, with weight lifting) I was pretty steadily in the 145 range.

Weekly log in
Wed, Jan 9th: 161.6 lbs
Thur, Jan 17th: 160.8 lbs

At the beginning of Dec I was down to 157, glad to see that I am moving back towards the 150s.  I travel next week for work so I will miss my weigh-in and will be eating non-home cooked stuff all week so the following weigh-in should be interesting.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2019, 10:41:02 AM »

It's been...a week-ish? I'm still hanging out at 172. It's not the first time I've had a plateau, but it's still annoying. I think I've been a little blasé about edging over my daily calorie limit--1200 is my loss target, 1500 is maintenance, and I frequently find myself being just barely under or over 1200 and going, weeeeell if I go over by 100 calories, that's not so bad. Or 200. Or so. Also, sweets are my weakness. Way too many of my daily calories are going to sweets/snacks. Ugh.

On the plus side: last night I had Spaghetti O's for dinner. (What, this is quality comfort food?...OK, so I also didn't manage to do meal prep this week) Usually I would've had an entire can and then felt slightly overfull. Last night I had half, and then today had the other half with some fruit for lunch. So shaved some calories and didn't succumb to lunch take-out. Woohoo?

Definitely need to meal prep this weekend, though....

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2019, 02:00:07 PM »
I'll take all the accountabilibuddies I can get. My overall theme for this year is moderation and consistency, with a specific goal of cutting myself down to a leaner 190. I'm 6 foot 1, so for me that is a spot where I feel good and still strong. My friends and I usually start each year with a 2 month hugest loser competition. Last year I did a very strict clean eating program in January and was able to not drink any alcohol from January 1 until the night before my wedding in mid-September. I dropped from 225 to a low of about 193 in May but as the year rolled on I struggled with eating more junk and justifying it to myself because I wasn't drinking.

Off to a good start this year thanks to some water weight and residual holiday fluffiness:

1.1 = 215
1.17 = 200.6

I am at my best when I drink a lot of water, eat a lot of vegetables, mix in protein at all meals, cut out processed carbs/sugar, and try not to eat after 7. My problem is, and always has been, I can go off for a weekend with my friends and quickly gain 5-10 pounds quickly wasting an entire month of hard work.

Anyone else experience this self defeating cycle: You work hard, you see results, it feels good, feeling good makes you want to celebrate/be social, then you go out and basically throw away the hard work? Drives me insane. Hence the striving for consistency and moderation this year. I'm 38, I feel like I should have figured this out by now.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2019, 02:46:43 PM »

It's been...a week-ish? I'm still hanging out at 172. It's not the first time I've had a plateau, but it's still annoying. I think I've been a little blasé about edging over my daily calorie limit--1200 is my loss target, 1500 is maintenance, and I frequently find myself being just barely under or over 1200 and going, weeeeell if I go over by 100 calories, that's not so bad. Or 200. Or so. Also, sweets are my weakness. Way too many of my daily calories are going to sweets/snacks. Ugh.

On the plus side: last night I had Spaghetti O's for dinner. (What, this is quality comfort food?...OK, so I also didn't manage to do meal prep this week) Usually I would've had an entire can and then felt slightly overfull. Last night I had half, and then today had the other half with some fruit for lunch. So shaved some calories and didn't succumb to lunch take-out. Woohoo?

1200 calories a day seems really, REALLY low. That would be an appropriate weight-loss diet for me (I am 4'11" and weigh 125)... IF I never exercised. Ever. Did you get 1200 from MyFitnessPal?

Sweets are hard for me, too! Tracking helps me resist a little bit and notice how the cookies are adding up.

@Mike in NH -- 38 is right around the corner for me, too, and I hear you on those weekends! I am trying to be more moderate in my enjoyment of treats while travelling and over holidays--think about shaving calories somewhere else, making sure I continue to get exercise, etc. Because it is so hard to shake those pounds off!

Minor personal triumph: I had a day yesterday when I was UNDER my calorie goal in MFP! Woot! It is hard to do. And I wasn't particularly hungry because I had made smart food choices :-).

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2019, 06:29:40 AM »
01-17-19 - 184.4 - Up 0.8  Remaining to First Goal:  4.4  Remaining to Second Goal  9.4
01-18-19 - 182.9 - Down 1.5  Remaining to First Goal 2.9  Remaining to Second Goal 7.9

I'm thinking I may have to do a 100% sugar fast for 30 days to drop the last 8 pounds.  Right now, I treat myself to a square of dark chocolate once or twice a day.  I'm thinking that needs to go as I may be more insulin resistant that I think.  Feels like the right time to have a personal challenge.   

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2019, 07:52:02 AM »

1200 calories a day seems really, REALLY low. That would be an appropriate weight-loss diet for me (I am 4'11" and weigh 125)... IF I never exercised. Ever. Did you get 1200 from MyFitnessPal?

Sweets are hard for me, too! Tracking helps me resist a little bit and notice how the cookies are adding up.

@Mike in NH -- 38 is right around the corner for me, too, and I hear you on those weekends! I am trying to be more moderate in my enjoyment of treats while travelling and over holidays--think about shaving calories somewhere else, making sure I continue to get exercise, etc. Because it is so hard to shake those pounds off!

Minor personal triumph: I had a day yesterday when I was UNDER my calorie goal in MFP! Woot! It is hard to do. And I wasn't particularly hungry because I had made smart food choices :-).

1200 sounds about right for someone under 200 pounds.  I was 275 at one point and doing 1200 just fine.  It's more food than you think if you plan correctly.  Loading up on high calorie foods will leave you starving.  Lots of veggies and not many carbs and you can eat quite a lot of food on 1200/day.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2019, 09:08:34 AM »

My endocrinologist recommended it, actually, and MFP basically agreed. My job is sedentary and I don't really exercise, so this makes up for that. 1200 actually isn't that bad! I almost never feel really hungry. I wouldn't go any lower than that, though.

(I don't really make use of it--I should!--but reddit's r/1200isplenty has lots of suggestions/inspirations for low-calorie meals.)

I've basically given up cereal, cookies, and chips, and now, finally, soda, the former because they're not worth the calories for how much a serving is, and the latter because it's started to taste bad to me. My weaknesses are chocolate of any kind, chai, and, worst of all, Starbucks bottled mocha frappuccinos. (I stopped getting the store-made frapps because $$$, but the bottles are cheap at Costco.) I did go from two to three bottles a day (yikes) to less than a bottle, measured out in ounces, but the amount has been creeping up again to nearly a full bottle. Need to put the brakes on that.

I did finally break my plateau today! Down 1 lb to 171.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »
Mine is 1200 calories too. But I am only 5ft so it's just inevitable. I do eat half my exercise calories back though (I find MFP overestimates the calories I burn by walking/cycling/swimming. Or maybe I am just not working as hard as I think lol).

LBF: Do you weigh your food? I tend to find MFP almost scarily accurate. But like I said above, I only eat back half my exercise calories and when I want to fine tune things I weigh things. Right now I'm not being hugely precise- which works if I err on the side of estimating higher calories for everything I eat. Being precise generally means I can eat more :)

Today my mother is cooking one of my favorite dishes. Rice wraps stuffed with shredded jicama and carrots. Kinda like spring rolls but not deep fried. She is rolling her eyes a little (ok - a lot!) as I weigh each ingredient out while she cooks. Especially when I told her I'd be measuring the oil and any sauces she uses too lol. Promised her I'll just do it this one time and just estimate in the future.

If you are over by only a couple of hundred calories but not losing, maybe your calories estimates are a bit off? I watched a video which showed how incredibly easy it is to be underestimate calories by at least 30% by eyeballing. That means its super easy to overeat by THIRTY PERCENT without even realizing it!

I kept the weight off at Christmas due to a family crisis that ended with my father passing away, so food hasn't been in my thoughts.  I am actively now trying not to eat to comfort myself. 
Weigh in this morning was 133.5lbs.

Ugh - comfort eating is my worst habit. Cheering you on dear Frugal Lizard!