Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2018  (Read 241835 times)

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
Re: Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #450 on: February 01, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
DateWeightBody Fat
May 2017190 lbs23.7%
June 2017183 lbs22.4%
July 2017180 lbs21.9%
Aug 2017176 lbs21.1%
Sept 2017171 lbs20.4%
Oct 2017165 lbs19.3%
Nov 2017161 lbs18.6%
Dec 2017160 lbs18.4%
Jan 2017155 lbs17.5%35 lbs down

Currently eating 1800 calories per day, maintenance is around 2200. I'm hoping to switch to 2500 calories in a month or so now and keep my every second day weightlifting routine (4 months now so hopefully it's a habit).

I measure body fat with a cheap impedance scale so I'm sure it's way off but the trend is helpful.

Sassociate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #451 on: February 01, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
Does anyone else experience this thing where when you cut down on junk food and eat healthier, suddenly you’re thirsty all the time? I had to get up two times last night to refill the (large!) mug of water by my bed! I mean, I would have thought the healthy foods I’ve substituted for the junk has more water in them, so what gives? 🤔

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2018, 04:59:10 AM »
I’ve been active in the keto specific thread but I’ll join in here as well. My weight has been all over the place as an adult, but generally heavy. My heaviest was 295 around 2008-9. My lowest was 205 when biking thousands of miles a year in 2015. My natural weight when eating carbs (but mostly whole grains, some sweets, beer) and getting moderate exercise is about 230-245.

Last year I started doing keto/low carb at 240. I am “lazy” keto in that I don’t track macros to verify I’m below 20g carbs. Had a lot of setbacks/failures of willpower but in general as long as I stay strict with what I eat it’s a very satisfying diet, very hard to overeat on it and you’re rarely hungry between meals. I have not had any cheat days in four months now, and also dropped even low-carb alcohol like whiskey from regular consumption, which is improving my subjective perception of health.

Upped my exercise recently not so much to speed up losing weight but to improve health. Right now just cardio but I’m seeing a chiropractor for chronic neck/shoulder/back issues and I’m hoping I can do some basic strength exercises soon. I get a decent amount of weight lifting in just taking care of my homestead though.

At the lean muscle mass I need, I’m guessing my ideal trimmed down weight is about 190 but I’ve never been below 200 since age 13 so I don’t honestly know. I’m 6 feet tall and very stocky frame (often described as built like an NFL linebacker).

Weighed in this morning at 210.6.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2018, 05:00:20 AM »
Does anyone else experience this thing where when you cut down on junk food and eat healthier, suddenly you’re thirsty all the time? I had to get up two times last night to refill the (large!) mug of water by my bed! I mean, I would have thought the healthy foods I’ve substituted for the junk has more water in them, so what gives? 🤔

Maybe you need some electrolytes? I personally have to supplement sodium, potassium, and magnesium.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2018, 06:02:20 AM »

This time of year it's just dry in our house. I wake up with cotton mouth and my eyelids welded shut if I forget to turn on the humidifier. Maybe that's part of it?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #455 on: February 02, 2018, 07:04:15 AM »
2/1/17: 140.2. Going for 5lbs this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #456 on: February 02, 2018, 08:03:53 AM »

Weekly Weigh in:

December 30: 145
January 5:      144
January 12:    143.4
January 19:    143.8
January 26:    143.2
February 2:    142

And we have movement! The holiday weight is officially gone and if I can hang out right around this number through spring I'll be thrilled.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #457 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:17 AM »
I remembered to step on the scale this morning - a nice sight - closer to 132 than 133. 
I have a couple of bad days this past week but interspersed with good days.  I had not realized how much stress I was under until I got it lifted and then this morning woke up and saw that I have not succumbed to the stress with all that chocolate and sugar that I accidentally bought on super stress day.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #458 on: February 02, 2018, 12:25:49 PM »
January 14th: 153
January 26th: 150
January 29th: 149
February 2nd: 149 (maybe 148.5)

Goal: 138
5'6" female, 51 y.o.

This morning was my weigh-in for the "bet" I have with my husband. Since I set the goal at losing only one pound over three weeks, it's enough to keep me honest and not let my guard down. Since my mind set is then somewhat serious, I do better. In three weeks I lost four pounds, which is a lot for me.

Now, my new "bet" is to be at 148 or below in another three weeks (2/23). I certainly hope to do better than that, but the bet keeps me going. If I lose, I have to play board games. I don't like playing board games.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #459 on: February 02, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

Weekly Weigh in:

And we have movement! The holiday weight is officially gone and if I can hang out right around this number through spring I'll be thrilled.
Congratulations! Love hearing success stories.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: February 02, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »

Weekly Weigh in:

Thanks Candace! I started last January on the 2016 thread at 155 and have been battling down to 140 ever since (but consider myself at maintenance at this point). I'm also the same height as you! You can do it!!!

Clara Smith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #461 on: February 03, 2018, 01:22:10 AM »
I'm not fat but I don't have a proper figure. I believe by exercise we can not only lose weight but also maintain the shape of our body. 

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #462 on: February 03, 2018, 02:03:48 AM »
I have two similar looking pairs of dark grey trousers I've been wearing to work. One is a size larger than the other, and that's the one i've been wearing lately (as it fits). Took both pairs out today to take them to the dry cleaners, and I realised that I'd been wearing the smaller ones all week and they were fitting just fine. My jeans I bought recently that were a perfect fit not so long ago are now starting to feel a tiny bit looser.

That's a good sign. :)

On the other hand, I've been saving some 'cheat' foods for when I reach goals in increments of 5kg. I'm very tempted to get an ice cream tonight (it's a very nice summer's evening here now), even though I'm still a couple of kilos from the goal.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #463 on: February 03, 2018, 06:21:05 AM »
Beginning weight (Dec 27)  133
Started dieting (Jan 1) 132
Started low carb diet (Jan 21) 129
Today (Feb 3) 122

I can't tell you how much better I feel in the last 2 weeks of low carb dieting.  I'm always full, never feel bloated and don't crave snacks.  I'm 48 and losing weight seemed like such a struggle until I tried this.  Finally close to my goal (118-120)!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #464 on: February 03, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »
Today (Feb 3) 122

I can't tell you how much better I feel in the last 2 weeks of low carb dieting.  I'm always full, never feel bloated and don't crave snacks.  I'm 48 and losing weight seemed like such a struggle until I tried this.  Finally close to my goal (118-120)!

Awesome! I’ve really liked going low-carb too. My only real challenge has been figuring out how many electrolytes I personally need to supplement.

Out of curiosity, how are you planning to approach maintenance when you get there?

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #465 on: February 03, 2018, 08:08:39 AM »
Today (Feb 3) 122

Awesome! I’ve really liked going low-carb too. My only real challenge has been figuring out how many electrolytes I personally need to supplement.

Out of curiosity, how are you planning to approach maintenance when you get there?

I was just talking to my boyfriend this morning about switching to maintaining.  I plan to stick with what I'm doing for a few more days (maybe a week tops) but then will up my carbs.  I haven't counted my carbs perfectly - just making better choices.  The first week, I was trying to stay under 30 but the second week, stayed under 20.  And I can't believe how easy it's been!  I have failed diet after diet the last few years (a divorce and new job 4 yrs ago caused me to stop paying attention to my weight.  Thus the 14 lb weight gain.).  This is the first time I tried a low carb diet and it worked great for me.  I'm almost nervous to add carbs back in but I know I need to soon.  I'll pay close attention as I figure out the sweet spot for maintenance. 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: February 05, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
Feb 5: 182.9 today after hanging around at 182.0 all week.

On the other hand, I seem to have lost 1.5 inches (as of this morning) since early in the month when I first hit 182-ish! So I guess something is happening. Also feeling extra-soft so maybe I'm due for a water-weight "whoosh"? Eventually, I must be! I'm definitely operating on a deficit most days (and week-to-week).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #467 on: February 05, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »
I feel like I'm wavering & need to get my motivation going again. Background, had a strong first 3 weeks in January & lost 2 pounds. Then went on an international business trip, which screws with my routine, eating plans & the jet lag leads to a lack of energy/motivation. Need to get right back on it. I'd like to do another full round of 21 Day Fix (HIIT workout DVDs) + mix in some running. As for calories, I'm still holding pretty strong with sweets, but my birthday is coming up this weekend, so will likely give myself a pass for a few treats.

Went to the doctor this morning, & the scale was a very real reminder that I need to continue & find my focus again.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #468 on: February 05, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »
I feel like I'm wavering & need to get my motivation going again. Background, had a strong first 3 weeks in January & lost 2 pounds. Then went on an international business trip, which screws with my routine, eating plans & the jet lag leads to a lack of energy/motivation. Need to get right back on it. I'd like to do another full round of 21 Day Fix (HIIT workout DVDs) + mix in some running. As for calories, I'm still holding pretty strong with sweets, but my birthday is coming up this weekend, so will likely give myself a pass for a few treats.

Went to the doctor this morning, & the scale was a very real reminder that I need to continue & find my focus again.

I think the most important skill on this journey (and others) is getting back on the proverbial horse; because Life Happens and things go off track.

YOU CAN DO IT! *cheers*

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #469 on: February 05, 2018, 12:56:59 PM »

Weekly Weigh in:

Thanks Candace! I started last January on the 2016 thread at 155 and have been battling down to 140 ever since (but consider myself at maintenance at this point). I'm also the same height as you! You can do it!!!

Yes, looks like we're the same height and have similar weight loss (maintenance in your case) goals. Cool!

I went to a friends' place for the Superbowl last night and overdid it. This morning I've gained a pound, back up to 150. Ugh. Trying my best to keep things under control. I read in Stephen Gullo's books that after a binge, the most important thing to do is maintain control for the rest of that day and the day after. So today, I'm being very careful.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: February 05, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »
I've been wavering on my tracking and eating well, but I have at least been making it to crossfit 3x per week.  My weight is staying the same (due to terrible tracking and cookies), but I'm feeling stronger, and slightly more cardiovascularly fit. 

Now on to making my food better!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: February 05, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »
Posting to follow. I lost about twenty-five pounds last year, but put about ten back on over the holidays -- ALL THE COOKIES, ALL THE NOG, ALL THE BOOZE. Working it back off now, and hopefully a bit more besides.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #472 on: February 05, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »

I think the most important skill on this journey (and others) is getting back on the proverbial horse; because Life Happens and things go off track.

YOU CAN DO IT! *cheers*

Thank you! I needed this. It's super hard to get back on, but you are correct. Life will happen, things will come up, & getting yourself dusted off & back on track is the only path to success.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: February 05, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

Like the idea of goals - here are our goals for Jan:
1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
3) one meal of veggies and fruits only per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?
I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.
Still on the losing trend. I was expecting it to stop since my activity level hasn't increased much and my eating is still not perfect. I don't count calories or have a chance to weigh  food since I don't cook or shop (visiting in-laws for a few months). I'm trying to eat healthier (less carbs, more fruits vegetables and protein - egg, fish, chicken) and reduce sweets (take smaller portions, being selective in what I eat). My culture (Indian) shows love through food, especially sweets. So every visit (even when visiting parents every day) leads to more sweets and hurt egos if we don't eat the sweets. So far portion control has been the key. I can't believe how much crap I've been eating before for the weight to come off so easily now that I'm eating healthier.

This thread is so motivating and reminds me to make healthier choices with food. I find that I eat healthy when I remember and this thread is helping me remember. Thanks everyone!
Ok now the weight loss has stopped. Time to really get into cutting calories or burning them through exercise. I don't have an easy way to estimate calories or do exercise which makes it tricky. I'm planning to drink at least a glass of water before every meal and snack (and ideally before anytime food passes through my lips). I think I eat more than I think I'm eating. The first eight pounds came off easy. Now the real struggle starts. I still need to cut 12 pounds to reach my first goal (highest pre pregnancy weight) and 18 pounds to reach my second goal (my normal BMI weight). Hoping the water trick helps.

Please suggest other tricks that have helped in reducing food portions (basically tricking myself to eat less and eat healthier) or exercising more (moving more). I currently walk 7k steps a day and do 5-10 stairs.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I especially love the eating fruits instead of sweets and using  shape wear ideas. I've also started concentrating on adding more protein to my diet (changed macros). My weight is still at standstill but it's at least not going up any more. I had one day (DH bday) where I had some cake but otherwise I'm starting to not be super tempted by sweets. I'm liking the progress even though the scales don't show it.... yet.

I'm also experimenting with eating only upto 80% of my stomach's capacity. Due to pregnancy eating, I fear my stomach has increased in size and I now need more food to feel satiated. I need to eat less to reduce it back to normal size. Will report back soon on its effects.

Thanks for the exercise tips. I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to exercise. So I'm starting with the walking videos and hope to increase from there.

Weight - still at 8 lbs loss from New year, no gains, no loss from last time.

Any app recommendations to log weight and get trending weight for a period?

I've started eating more frequently (breakfast, 11, 1, 4, 6 and 8) but lesser portions. This has helped me keep hunger at bay while tricking my stomach into eating less at every meal (and not worry too much if I don't eat to max since I know the next meal is just two hours away). I hope this reduces my stomach size and bring it back to normal (from pregnancy size). I'm also drinking more water than before.

Exercise is still not happening yet :( got a jump rope to see if I can make myself use it.

Managed to knock out three more pounds after hitting a plateau for a week or so in between. That brings up tally to 11 pounds lost since new year. Hope this is the start of a new losing streak.
Checking in here. Still at the 11 pound loss, inching towards 12 pounds. I think I've finally found a way to figure out how much food is right for my stomach. I've been experimenting with food portions and frequent small meals with each time being less than my palm keeps me sated while not overloading my stomach. I also like the feeling I get when I don't stuff myself. Now to remember it for all the hard times (party, buffet, mom-cooked delicious dishes). A pound more to my first half goal. So close!
Welcome everyone! Especially new moms :) I'm one too and my goal is to lose pregnancy weight and get to a healthy weight now that baby is seven months and starting on solids. I still breastfeed exclusively but no longer have the pressure to be the sole food provider.

Weight still in the decline. Down 13 pounds from Jan 1 and I've reached my first goal. Now to stay here and lose more to reach my second goal of prepregnancy weight which is 6 pounds lesser. My eating has slacked a bit this week and I've been eating cakes and sweets more than I like (to celebrate my first goal). Need to get back to careful monitoring. I guess my weight loss rate would reduce a lot once I reach my prepregnancy weight since that is my usual weight range. But I want to lose another 15 pounds from there to get to my comfortable weight. I've always been lackadaisical about weight loss once I reach a healthy BMI but this time I'm going to try and lose those last 15 (those are my freshman 15 and have been around 12 years now).

I've also started doing mini exercises after trying to do dedicated half an hour to an hour of exercise and failing miserably. So far it's going good. Will report back next week if I can sustain it.
Holding steady at 13 pound decline. Not sure if it is a new plateau but I'm chalking it up to bad sleep due to baby being sick. As a result, I'm craving simple sugars to keep my energy going. That doesn't help in weight loss either. I've also taken to eating some almonds or cashewnuts when I wake in the middle of the night or as snacks which my body is not too happy about. Need to cut those extra calories and see if I can drink more water since my water drinking rate is abysmal.

The mini exercises are sticking! I have a goal to hit 5k steps before lunch and 8k by 8 pm and hopefully 10k by end of night. I do power walks to hit these goals. They won't strengthen muscles but my Fitbit shows my heartbeat rising enough to be classified as fat burn or cardio. I now need to find some strengthening exercises and work them in as mini exercises. Would love to hear if anyone does mini strength training exercises and what your experience has been.
Weight still holding at 155-156 (13-14 pound loss since Jan 1) for the past week. I think I'm at a plateau and am concentrating on more mini exercises. Sadly my food tracking and control has gone way down since I discovered cooking as a hobby (bad time to do it but I'm enjoying making new dishes for the family). Need to rein it in a bit. But I'm happy that I'm hitting my goals of 5k steps before lunch and 8k or 10k steps by nighttime. I've consistently gone over 8k that I'm considering upping it to 10k or 11k steps by nighttime. This will force me to get off my behind and actually play catch with my preschooler every evening.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #474 on: February 06, 2018, 06:24:04 AM »
Per Happy Scale I've lost 2 pounds. Logging food before I eat it seems to be an effective way to get myself to evaluate if I really need that blizzard. I didn't get to the gym 3 times last week, but I did do a class, lift twice, and did the walking desk enough so that beat my calorie burn goal each day. So gonna say yay for that.

Part of me wants to get really aggressive with this, but past habits tell me that's when I yo-yo. Yes 2 isn't a lot. Yes this is going to take time. It's about building a sustainable lifestyle and just making it a habit I don't even think about. I can do this. Stay the course!
Down 4 pounds in 18 days. So close to under 190. It's been slower than I'd like, but frankly it hasn't been that hard either. I think the forced logging before eating has been a good change for me. Usually when I have a crazy week at work, like this one, I would have gained a couple pounds through stress eating. While this week I didn't get the exercise I'd like, at least that stopped me from gaining weight.
Down 5 pounds in 30 days, but on the bright side I've also lost 1% fat. These changes are sustainable for me, BUT SO SLOW.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #475 on: February 06, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
5.4 lbs from goal, and I am starting to see some abs!!!
I think these will be the most difficult. I am back to work now so sleeping less (12 hour shifts + baby sleep regression), which makes me hungrier. On the plus side I have been finding it easier to get up and work out before everyone wakes up on my day off. We have also put a moratorium on break room treats at work because of flu season.
I ran 4 miles this morning at a pace of 9:18 per mile (still on the treadmill because it is below zero outside). By next month I would like to run 5 miles at a 9 minute mile pace.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #476 on: February 06, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »
Last week was hard. My monthly insomnia kicked in, which means I did not get out of bed early enough to do cardio. I did complete 2 strength training workouts, joined February Push Up gauntlet and fasted one day.

I am fasting today and have a good meal plan for the rest of the week.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: February 07, 2018, 12:01:41 AM »
Per Happy Scale I've lost 2 pounds. Logging food before I eat it seems to be an effective way to get myself to evaluate if I really need that blizzard. I didn't get to the gym 3 times last week, but I did do a class, lift twice, and did the walking desk enough so that beat my calorie burn goal each day. So gonna say yay for that.

Part of me wants to get really aggressive with this, but past habits tell me that's when I yo-yo. Yes 2 isn't a lot. Yes this is going to take time. It's about building a sustainable lifestyle and just making it a habit I don't even think about. I can do this. Stay the course!
Down 4 pounds in 18 days. So close to under 190. It's been slower than I'd like, but frankly it hasn't been that hard either. I think the forced logging before eating has been a good change for me. Usually when I have a crazy week at work, like this one, I would have gained a couple pounds through stress eating. While this week I didn't get the exercise I'd like, at least that stopped me from gaining weight.
Down 5 pounds in 30 days, but on the bright side I've also lost 1% fat. These changes are sustainable for me, BUT SO SLOW.

5 pounds in 30 days IS the bright side! If you'd assume that 1 pound equals a 3500 calory deficit (though this is somewhat controversial) that's about a 500/day deficit. A perfectly healthy pace to lose weight and sustainable enough. I get how you'd like it to go faster, but your pace isn't slow at all! Keep going this pace and you'll be down another 3 by the end of February :)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #478 on: February 07, 2018, 01:56:11 AM »
Starting weight: 120.7kg
Last week's weight: 118.2kg
Current weight: 118.4kg

Blah. It fluctuates quite a bit over the course of the day. Haven't been too bad lately.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #479 on: February 07, 2018, 05:38:28 AM »
2/1/18: 140.2. Going for 5lbs this month.
2/7/18: 138.6 (-1.6). I have been doing unplanned IF and really only eating dinners because of stress at work. Worked out Monday and Tuesday, too, and I’ll try to get a workout in tonight as well.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #480 on: February 08, 2018, 03:44:15 AM »
I need to get back to healthy eating. I started this year at 77,8 and now I'm 78,4 ... Could have been worse, after all the unhealthy food I've been eating last month. I need to get back on track with healthy eating. The main problem is I've been so busy I hardly have time for food prep. When I get back home, totally exhausted and without any food prepared, it's so easy to eat something unhealthy. Thankfully the busy days are almost over now. I'm hosting a dinner party on Saturday, after that I'll be back to normal for a while.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #481 on: February 08, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »
3 gym sessions this week and counting. Food was not stellar (my boss who kindly eats his sausage rolls in the kitchen brought in some wonderful swiss chocolates).

My pt left the gym, which I think is a good thing (i can't afford her the next few months anyway), I have plenty of training plans to get me going.

I am reducing snacking with the aim to eliminate it completely by the end of the month. That will be the biggest win of all.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #482 on: February 08, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
What are people using to set their goals? I've got a few ideal weight calculators and estimates on body fat but just wondering if most people shoot for a weight they feel best at, abs showing, lowest they've ever been, etc?

Personally I've wanted to hit below 15% body fat for a few years but never took it seriously until last summer (unfortunately for the photos this was post-wedding). My main motivation has been that my dw is in much better shape and eating less rolls into spending less pretty appropriately.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: February 08, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »
For my first set of goals, I'm using:
(1) Fit into the clothes I was wearing last year
(2) Stop feeling sluggish

I've lost only a pound since I started, but at least I've stopped GAINING weight!  I nearly broke down this evening and began snacking after dinner.  But now I'm safely in bed and I think I'm going to make it through another day...

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #484 on: February 08, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?
I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.
Still on the losing trend. I was expecting it to stop since my activity level hasn't increased much and my eating is still not perfect. I don't count calories or have a chance to weigh  food since I don't cook or shop (visiting in-laws for a few months). I'm trying to eat healthier (less carbs, more fruits vegetables and protein - egg, fish, chicken) and reduce sweets (take smaller portions, being selective in what I eat). My culture (Indian) shows love through food, especially sweets. So every visit (even when visiting parents every day) leads to more sweets and hurt egos if we don't eat the sweets. So far portion control has been the key. I can't believe how much crap I've been eating before for the weight to come off so easily now that I'm eating healthier.

This thread is so motivating and reminds me to make healthier choices with food. I find that I eat healthy when I remember and this thread is helping me remember. Thanks everyone!
Ok now the weight loss has stopped. Time to really get into cutting calories or burning them through exercise. I don't have an easy way to estimate calories or do exercise which makes it tricky. I'm planning to drink at least a glass of water before every meal and snack (and ideally before anytime food passes through my lips). I think I eat more than I think I'm eating. The first eight pounds came off easy. Now the real struggle starts. I still need to cut 12 pounds to reach my first goal (highest pre pregnancy weight) and 18 pounds to reach my second goal (my normal BMI weight). Hoping the water trick helps.

Please suggest other tricks that have helped in reducing food portions (basically tricking myself to eat less and eat healthier) or exercising more (moving more). I currently walk 7k steps a day and do 5-10 stairs.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I especially love the eating fruits instead of sweets and using  shape wear ideas. I've also started concentrating on adding more protein to my diet (changed macros). My weight is still at standstill but it's at least not going up any more. I had one day (DH bday) where I had some cake but otherwise I'm starting to not be super tempted by sweets. I'm liking the progress even though the scales don't show it.... yet.

I'm also experimenting with eating only upto 80% of my stomach's capacity. Due to pregnancy eating, I fear my stomach has increased in size and I now need more food to feel satiated. I need to eat less to reduce it back to normal size. Will report back soon on its effects.

Thanks for the exercise tips. I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to exercise. So I'm starting with the walking videos and hope to increase from there.

I've started eating more frequently (breakfast, 11, 1, 4, 6 and 8) but lesser portions. This has helped me keep hunger at bay while tricking my stomach into eating less at every meal (and not worry too much if I don't eat to max since I know the next meal is just two hours away). I hope this reduces my stomach size and bring it back to normal (from pregnancy size). I'm also drinking more water than before.

Exercise is still not happening yet :( got a jump rope to see if I can make myself use it.

Managed to knock out three more pounds after hitting a plateau for a week or so in between. That brings up tally to 11 pounds lost since new year. Hope this is the start of a new losing streak.
Checking in here. Still at the 11 pound loss, inching towards 12 pounds. I think I've finally found a way to figure out how much food is right for my stomach. I've been experimenting with food portions and frequent small meals with each time being less than my palm keeps me sated while not overloading my stomach. I also like the feeling I get when I don't stuff myself. Now to remember it for all the hard times (party, buffet, mom-cooked delicious dishes). A pound more to my first half goal. So close!
Welcome everyone! Especially new moms :) I'm one too and my goal is to lose pregnancy weight and get to a healthy weight now that baby is seven months and starting on solids. I still breastfeed exclusively but no longer have the pressure to be the sole food provider.

Weight still in the decline. Down 13 pounds from Jan 1 and I've reached my first goal. Now to stay here and lose more to reach my second goal of prepregnancy weight which is 6 pounds lesser. My eating has slacked a bit this week and I've been eating cakes and sweets more than I like (to celebrate my first goal). Need to get back to careful monitoring. I guess my weight loss rate would reduce a lot once I reach my prepregnancy weight since that is my usual weight range. But I want to lose another 15 pounds from there to get to my comfortable weight. I've always been lackadaisical about weight loss once I reach a healthy BMI but this time I'm going to try and lose those last 15 (those are my freshman 15 and have been around 12 years now).

I've also started doing mini exercises after trying to do dedicated half an hour to an hour of exercise and failing miserably. So far it's going good. Will report back next week if I can sustain it.
Holding steady at 13 pound decline. Not sure if it is a new plateau but I'm chalking it up to bad sleep due to baby being sick. As a result, I'm craving simple sugars to keep my energy going. That doesn't help in weight loss either. I've also taken to eating some almonds or cashewnuts when I wake in the middle of the night or as snacks which my body is not too happy about. Need to cut those extra calories and see if I can drink more water since my water drinking rate is abysmal.

The mini exercises are sticking! I have a goal to hit 5k steps before lunch and 8k by 8 pm and hopefully 10k by end of night. I do power walks to hit these goals. They won't strengthen muscles but my Fitbit shows my heartbeat rising enough to be classified as fat burn or cardio. I now need to find some strengthening exercises and work them in as mini exercises. Would love to hear if anyone does mini strength training exercises and what your experience has been.
Weight still holding at 155-156 (13-14 pound loss since Jan 1) for the past week. I think I'm at a plateau and am concentrating on more mini exercises. Sadly my food tracking and control has gone way down since I discovered cooking as a hobby (bad time to do it but I'm enjoying making new dishes for the family). Need to rein it in a bit. But I'm happy that I'm hitting my goals of 5k steps before lunch and 8k or 10k steps by nighttime. I've consistently gone over 8k that I'm considering upping it to 10k or 11k steps by nighttime. This will force me to get off my behind and actually play catch with my preschooler every evening.
Started downward trend again albeit slower this time. At 154 today.

My first goal was to hit 156 pounds (my heaviest before pregnancy), my second goal is to hit 151 (my weight before baby#2), my third goal is to hit 145 (my normal BMI), my fourth goal is to hit 138 (my lowest in the past 8 years) and my final goal is to hit 129 (the weight I feel most comfortable in). I'm happy to hit any of these weights but prefer to be around 130s and have exercises and food changes to be lifestyle changes rather than a one shot thing. To give some perspective, my highest was 199 lbs at 40 weeks pregnant.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: February 09, 2018, 12:43:06 AM »
What are people using to set their goals? I've got a few ideal weight calculators and estimates on body fat but just wondering if most people shoot for a weight they feel best at, abs showing, lowest they've ever been, etc?

I use my "old" weight and usually just a round number as you know, 55 kg sounds more logical than 53 or 56 :p.

It seems like a pattern that every time I visit my parents (they have a scale, I don't) I screw up the week before. This week I've been eating out and drinking a ton of alcohol twice. The other days I ended up eating too much chocolate. I also skipped the yoga the whole week as my wrist felt bad after giving pole dancing workshops for 3h last Sunday. Did do my other regular workouts though and the two weeks prior to this one were okay. Let's see how the scale judges my efforts.

Sassociate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #486 on: February 09, 2018, 01:23:17 AM »
One day late, here is my check in for this week:

Starting weight: 145
Last week: 143
This week: 143

I shouldn’t be disappointed that I’m holding steady at 143 - my parents came to visit this weekend and ended up buying some not-so-healthy snacks, and I definitely enjoyed some - but I still feel a little bummed. I’ve been walking a lot and eating healthy the rest of the time, so I guess this just shows how easy it is to undo that with some chocolate.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #487 on: February 09, 2018, 07:57:47 AM »
I am aiming for right in the middle of the healthy weight range on the BMI chart for my height. I'm currently at a 26 BMI, which is just into the overweight range. Losing 10lbs puts me at 22 or 23. BMI isn't a perfect indicator, but it's good enough for my purposes.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »

Personally I've wanted to hit below 15% body fat for a few years but never took it seriously until last summer (unfortunately for the photos this was post-wedding). My main motivation has been that my dw is in much better shape and eating less rolls into spending less pretty appropriately.

My target is 72 kg, which according to my BMI is a healthy weight for my height (1.70m). I'm 78 kg now, which is a bit more than I weigh usually. Last time I had my body fat checked in hospital I was told it was already in the healthy range and I don't have fat around my organs and I've been told I should take that more seriously than BMI, but I think it will be good to lose a few more kg.

For me, health is the most important part. I've been a bit of a slacker when it comes to exercise lately, but used to do some weight training. I get more toned after sticking to that for a while, but my goal is to be healthy, not to look a certain way. I like doing weights because it's the only form of exercise I'm actually good at, so I make progress, which keeps me motivated.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #489 on: February 09, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »
I have finally made some progress, and lost a total of 2 lbs in 2018. I know, I know. I'm not exactly on fire. However, I've been working out consistently, and making much better food choices. And, had an international trip in there that always screws with my plans. Big goals are to stay focused this weekend. I'm okay with a few splurges (birthday), but not too undo all of my efforts, now that I'm finally making progress.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #490 on: February 09, 2018, 08:48:18 AM »

1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
Updating after two days:

Started downward trend again albeit slower this time. At 154 today.

My first goal was to hit 156 pounds (my heaviest before pregnancy), my second goal is to hit 151 (my weight before baby#2), my third goal is to hit 145 (my normal BMI), my fourth goal is to hit 138 (my lowest in the past 8 years) and my final goal is to hit 129 (the weight I feel most comfortable in). I'm happy to hit any of these weights but prefer to be around 130s and have exercises and food changes to be lifestyle changes rather than a one shot thing. To give some perspective, my highest was 199 lbs at 40 weeks pregnant.

Go firelight! I'm struggling this week after derailing myself last weekend. I was at 149, went back up to 150 and am now at 149 again. I've got a bet to be at 148 by 2/23, so that should be enough to keep me inching in the right direction, even if I don't do as well as I really should. I have at least three excuses for what has happened, but they're just bullshit when it comes down to it. My ultimate goal is about 138, having never been as slim as 130 since before puberty. It must feel amazing to be that slim.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #491 on: February 09, 2018, 08:04:46 PM »
Still struggling to not go to the kitchen and snack on some of the amazing food I have been cooking this week. :~( But I've had a pretty disciplined week so I am determined not to ruin what was a productive day.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #492 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:28 PM »
Still struggling to not go to the kitchen and snack on some of the amazing food I have been cooking this week. :~( But I've had a pretty disciplined week so I am determined not to ruin what was a productive day.

You've got this! Visualize standing on the scale in a few days & see all of that progress realized into a reflection in terms of weight shed.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #493 on: February 10, 2018, 07:34:06 AM »

You've got this! Visualize standing on the scale in a few days & see all of that progress realized into a reflection in terms of weight shed.

Look at ways to increase satiety in what you’re eating. Higher amounts of protein and fat do it for me.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: February 10, 2018, 09:08:08 PM »
Thank you all for the encouragement! I was strong and did not snack last night.  Tonight I'll try to go to bed earlier again instead of noshing.

I actually do eat lots of protein and fat, but I probably should eat more fresh fruit and vegetables and sleep more. But mainly I need to find a way to lower stress; I am running around all day and after putting the kids to bed I feel like I deserve to slump and have a little treat. 

I am actually experiencing a reward in that my clothes are not so uncomfortable as they were earlier this year.  I'm hoping that soon I will feel lighter and more energetic as the pounds drop away.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
I've definitely indulged this weekend (my birthday - cupcakes & cookies), but have kept the rest of my eating in check, and  went for a nice run yesterday. Back on track tomorrow with no sweets again. I've enjoyed it, but I'm definitely no longer in the habit of eating sweets anymore, so a little goes a long way!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #496 on: February 12, 2018, 12:27:56 AM »
Jan 8th: 220

Jan 15th: 218

Jan 22nd: 216

Jan 29th: 214

Feb 4th: 216

Feb 11th: 215

I'm going to skip alcohol this week and see what happens. Goal weight is 199 pounds by May 19th.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #497 on: February 12, 2018, 04:49:21 AM »
Time for another weekly weigh-in (five days after the last one)

Starting weight: 120.7kg
Last week's weight: 118.4kg
Current weight: 117.5kg

That's more like it! :)

Had a few cakes etc yesterday, but aside from that haven't been too bad. Back on the bike a bit more often too (two days last week, and the weather forecast looks comfortable enough that I should be able to get at least four days in this week). Loaded up the dinner plate tonight with salads/veg and some lean meat. Not really feeling hungry that much anymore (I was at first for a while). Probably need to have more of a breakfast as I'm a bit sluggish until lunch. Even just a banana with my morning coffee(s) to kickstart me for the day.

Aiming to be near or under 115kg by the end of Feb. Probably a bit of a stretch, but we'll see :)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #498 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:55 AM »
My weight has been bouncing between five to seven pounds above goal for the last 2 weeks. I am finding it more difficult to stick to my calories now that I am back to work. I do ok during the day because I bring my own breakfast and lunch, but in the evening I just don't have the energy to stick to my plan.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #499 on: February 12, 2018, 08:21:05 AM »
Jan 30:  178
Feb 12:  174

I just started, so this will probably slow down soon, but at least I'm settling in to my diet and getting comfortable with feeling hungry. The "OMG I'm STARVING!" Feelings of the first few days are gone.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!