Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2018  (Read 241487 times)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2018
« on: December 26, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
Starting up a new thread for a new year. Our old one (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=48873.0) has been a considerable source of support for the past two years and I know this will be just as awesome!

Here's to a fresh year!!!!

Let's take a bit of time to wrap up 2017. What do you think worked for you this year and what didn't?  What challenges did you face and what is your plan for the year ahead?

What are your goals for 2018?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 08:48:41 AM by elaine amj »

frugalkristen

• Stubble
Re: Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »
I want to lose 10 pounds.  I've wanted to for a while but haven't done anything about it.  This is the year.  :)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »
I am in. Having some accountability buddies will help me stay on track. I want to lose about 12 pounds (possibly more because I am at my Mom's house for Christmas with tons of cookies and no scale).  My baby is six weeks old and I would like to lose about five pounds before the end of maternity leave, which would put me at my pre-pregnancy weight. The other seven pounds will get me to the weight where I look and feel my best. We are travelling home tomorrow so I will post a weigh-in on Thursday morning.

I am using My Fitness Pal to track calories (I told it I want to lose one pound per week, then added 300 to the calorie goal it gave me to account for breastfeeding),  and trying to work in as much exercise as I can while baby is napping.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
I would like to join for 2018. I actually started about a month ago and have lost 8 pounds so far but have a long way to go. My starting weight was about 253 pounds and my goal is 210 by the end of 2018 with a stretch goal of 200. For the record, my progress so far:

11/26/2017     253.4
12/03/2017     252.4
12/10/2017     250.2
12/17/2017     247.2
12/24/2017     245.4

Looking forward to hearing about everyone else's progress throughout the year!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:40:51 AM by rab »

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
I tried joining in 2017 and failed miserably.  So, here I am again.  I am starting today and not waiting until the new year.

I am starting at 163, I think. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning to make sure this is my starting point. I fear it may be higher.

Nonetheless:

12/26/17 - 163

I would like to lose 23 -26 lbs. 

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »
I am in. Goal is to lose 12-15lbs. Stretch goal is to do so by April, which is doable if I stay on track. Physical gains should also increase my financial gains too, so I’m looking forward to making progress.

What hasn’t worked in the past:

• Sleeping in until 7 on workdays
• Sitting in front of a screen for 10+ hours with no breaks
• Being too exhausted by the end of the day to exercise
• Buying lunch at work ($$) and not planning out dinners
• Not actively managing my intake/food
• Not actively managing my depression
• Currently: 138.6lbs, ??BF%, lethargic and weak.

What has worked in the past:

• Working our daily around 11am
• Getting lots of rest
• Having a flexible schedule
• IIFYM intake management
• Meticulously planning meals
• Result: 17% BF and visible abs, strength and general badassery

A happy medium I am going to try to find in 2018:

• Planning meals and prepping lunches on Sundays
• Prepping and planning dinners for the week ahead of time
• Utilizing leftover-friendly recipes for dinner
• No buying lunch at work!
• Waking up at 6am
• Lifting in the mornings (30-45min)
• Regular fasting/IF
• Taking walks on my lunch hour (x3/wk)

12/25/2017 - 138.6lbs

Goal: 125lbs by 04/01/2018.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:00:53 AM by lexde »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
So awesome to see so many familiar names along with so many new names! I love this group and find I do so much better when posting regularly here.

I successfully lost 25 lbs using My Fitness Pal ( and this group!) to count calories 2 years ago. I was mindful but did not deprive myself. I successfully stayed in maintenance without tracking for several months. Then at Christmas, I binged a lot and piled on 10 lbs in less than 2 months. I tried to get back on track in January but didn't start actually losing weight until the late spring when I lost the 10 lbs in a few months. I have to admit that this time, I used the starvation technique a bit more than is wise.

I piled on 7 lbs during my August vacation and have been adding weight ever since with a lot of comfort eating, ending up an alarming 14 lbs over my low weight and creeping way too close to my former borderline obese status.

A week ago, I was finally in the right emotional place to control my eating again. Amazingly enough, through Christmas, I have dropped a pound so far.

I have been enjoying wonderful meals but being careful not to gorge too much. I have been limiting my treats to just 1-2 small portions and amazingly enough not feeling deprived.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
PTF. I was doing so well, and then over the 3-day holiday weekend I ate more sugar and drank more wine than I've had in the past 2 months. I'm terrified to step on the scale. Honestly, I'm probably not going to do that until the new year; going to get back on track after the holiday sweets/booze orgy and then see where I am at.

I'd lost 10 lbs over the past 2 1/2 months and would like to lose another 5-10? Not sure. I guess it depends on at what weight I am able to fit back into my clothes and look good in them again.

I used to be one of those people whom everyone hates, who could eat what I wanted and not gain. Sadly, upon hitting my mid-40s, this is no longer the case. So part of my goal too is to figure out how my body works now. How many calories can I eat, do particular foods cause me to gain weight or is it straight calories-in calories-out, can I eat until I am satisfied (but not full) or should I always be a little bit hungry, etc. (I started using a personal trainer on occasion and he said that I should always feel a little bit hungry, which I am struggling with.)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »
I am in.

Even cutting back drastically on fast food a couple of months ago, I have not been able to shift this weight. I clearly need to start tracking. Eating less should also help with our grocery budget that we have agreed to cut for 2018.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
I am in, also.  My goal is to lose 40 pounds in 2018.  About 10 of that is holiday weight gain, so I'm hoping at least the first 10 come off easier than the rest.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »
In 2017 I lost about 30 lbs and have another 30 to go. I do the Weight Watchers program and always find it easier to start in November than jump in with the hoards that show up to WW meetings about
Mid January.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »
I'm in! I successfully lost 25 lbs last summer, using an Instagram account for accountability. I posted what I ate each day and a picture of the scale reading everyday, and a bunch of strangers cheered me on and it worked really, really well. School started and I quit trying (but I've maintained the weight loss, so still a win?)

My goal is to lose another 25 lbs this year.

Ideally, I think I'd like to lose 40 but having never weighed that little as an adult I'm not sure if that is realistic. I am much more fit than I was the last time I was at my lowest adult weight and I have a lot more muscle, so for now I will focus on the 25 lb loss and then reassess once I get there!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »
I am confused. Is this a weight loss program or a thread for support?

Looked at the new Weight Watchers program that just rolled out. It looks pretty good. Anyone on it?

I need to lose at least 50 lbs. have not stepped on the scale in a long time...too scared but know it has to be very bad.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »
Sun Hat, My problem is definitely food intake.  I already work out regularly and have for almost two years, but the scale doesn't move because of my eating habits.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »
I am confused. Is this a weight loss program or a thread for support?

Looked at the new Weight Watchers program that just rolled out. It looks pretty good. Anyone on it?

I need to lose at least 50 lbs. have not stepped on the scale in a long time...too scared but know it has to be very bad.

Sure, I am doing the “new” Weight watchers program. i guess it is ok. Fish, beans, chicken breast and other dood items are noe 0 points. They rejigger the program about every two years and I am skeptical that their research really suggests these improvements,  ut now I think it is useful to bring freshness to a tired program to reset attitudes.

I like Weight Watchers. But
I never forget it is a commercial program. I used to think The American Dairy Council must be paying off WW ffor WW to insist on all of the milk products they required. But that is no longer part of the WW program, maybe the payoff stopped? Haha.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »
Do you join WW and pay for a month then drop out once you have the information?

I was on it once a bunch of years ago and I guess they do have good recipes. I kinda forgot what else they offer other than the program.

I like my wine and that is a problem for weight loss! I see WW is selling their own wine but it has to be expensive for a tiny bottle!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »
I am in.
My goal is to go from hovering around 133.5 to hovering around 127.
I am going to:
use a food journal
eat more veg
snack less
eat more clear broth soup with veg as part of my meal
get up at the same time every day and get to bed early so that I have time for yoga or pilates in the morning
go for a walk after dinner or lunch
bring my lunch when I am working in the city

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »

Get on the scale! That's the first, unavoidable step. If you weigh yourself every day, it'll become a habit and the fear will disappear.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »
I'd like to join too. After starting an office job in 2016, I've ballooned from 146 pounds with shoes to 151 without. Would like to get to 140 pounds by July 1. What I plan to try:

• Abstinence-only approach to dessert on most days (it's easy to keep it out of the house, but coworkers are constantly giving out food)
  • Calorie-counting every day. This is difficult because my husband makes a new fancy meal every weekday (I know, can't really complain, but it does make calories hard to estimate because he doesn't use recipes or measure things.)

So far, I'm at 1056 calories out of my goal of 1800, and it's already after dinner.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
I’m in - I’m not going to set a total pounds lost goal for the year. That’s just too long. And I have a LOT to lose.  Right now, I don’t want to focus on the weight loss per se, but on healthier eating.

I already started 11/27/17, but I didn’t weigh myself until a few days later, so there is a little disconnect in my data.

I am tracking what I am eating, and calories, and weight. I don’t weigh myself everyday (the daily fluctuations are disheartening). I do try to weigh myself at about the same time of the day.  Tracking calories has worked for me in the past. It helps me monitor my eating during the day, and be more mindful about deciding what and how much to eat.  Snacking is my usual nemesis - so no more of that right now.

I need to check my tracking spreadsheet for my numbers so far.  Once a month sounds like a reasonable update frequency.

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »
I’m in. I’d like to lose 40 lbs in 2018. I do WW (free benefit at work) and lost a bunch of weight in the last 11 months, though really nothing since August. I recently joined my work gym. It’s $4/month and that’s the price it’s been at since it opened in the 80s. I’m still not going there consistently but I am walking 30 mins at lunch four days a week. I need better strength so I’m looking at the gym to help with that.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
I am at the tail end of a really long and slow weight loss/health improvement process that began when I got a few pounds into the 'obese' category when I was a teen (I'm now almost 30). Since then, I've lost 40 pounds, and am so close to my goal weight/body fat percentage. I've also gained a lot of strength, flexibility, etc, but that's not the focus of this thread, so I'll leave most of that out.

I'm currently around 133, and my goal is to get to hold steady in a range between 120 and 127. I've been in that range before, but it's really easy to slip out of my healthiest routine and gain just that little bit of chub. My aim is not so much about the number on the scale, my focus is more on body fat percentage (estimated visually) and performance.

When I am in that range, I usually am not eating any sugar or refined grains. That's the big difference for me between "just slightly chubbier than I'd like" and "damn! I look good!" I also feel way better when I don't eat those things, probably due to the hypoglycemia and diabetes that runs in my family. It's probably relevant that my exercise habits are relatively worked into my lifestyle (eg, I bike 4.5 miles round trip to my work every day- except once or twice a year when there is a lot of snow, or flooding) so I don't have that much wiggle room there, although there is some.

So Things I'm going to do to accomplish my goals:

1. Stop eating sugar/refined grains (that will be much easier once the last of the holiday parties is over!).

2. Drink a cup of water when ever I feel hungry and it's not a meal time (I tend to be under-hydrated).

3. Do bodyweight workout 3x/week.

4. Train acro/aerial/handstands 3x/week.

5. Run every day that I'm not sick. (I'm a teacher in my first 3 years of teaching, so I'm still getting sick pretty often)

6. Practice chin ups/push ups/pistol squats/glute exercises/hamstring exercises every day until I get to 12 in a row with good form. Then reassess/aim for 20.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
My weight journey is frustrating. When I was 12 years old I was chubby, weighing 130 pounds. But then I hit a growth spurt so when I was 16 I was a normal weight for my height. I then put on a few pounds and was about 150 at my high school graduation, and have never weighed any less since then. Even at that weight I thought I was the fattest person alive, but of course now I look at pictures and think I looked very slim. During college and then post grad, I bounced from 150 to 180, back to 150, then up to 200, and now I’m at 241. It’s taken 8 years to gain 91 pounds, that’s about 11.5 pounds a year on average. In between all that time I have started and ended several sports, diets, and work out programs.

I have a history of binge eating sweets and bread/crackers, problems with late night snacking, and too large of portion sizes.  I have been plant based for 3 years now and I love eating this way due to ethical reasons, but I have not lost any weight at all. Still gaining the 11.5 pounds per year. Ugh. (When does my adult growth spurt start? I would look awesome if I was 8 feet tall!) So far this month my win is that I have not done any baking. I have no desire to eat eggs or dairy so the holidays went pretty well in terms of not over eating since I didn’t want to  eat anything that my family cooked haha. I brought a variety of roasted veggies so that’s what I was chowing down on. I’m aiming for 2000 calories per day.

Starting weight: 241
Starting pushups: 0
Starting mile pace: 16 min
Starting bench press: 55 pounds

Short term goals:
Goal 1: work out 4 days a week, an hour per day.
Goal 2: drink 8 glasses of water per day
Goal 3: eat 50 grams of fiber per day (fruits and veggies)
Goal 4: 14 min mile by July 2018
Goal 5: 220 pounds by July 2018

Long Term Goals:
Goal 6: 199 pounds by Dec 2018
Goal 7: 12 min mile by Dec 2018
Goal 8: 10 push-ups by Dec 2018
Goal 9: 70 pound bench press by Dec 2018

Lifestyle Goals:
Goal 10: Get back into a dance class
Goal 11: 150 pounds by my 30th birthday
Goal 12: do one pull up (I have NEVER done one before)
Goal 13: wear a bikini to the beach
Goal 14: sign up for some kind of fun run/obstacle course thing TBD
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:27:46 AM by Apple_Tango »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »
I agree with everyone that exercise alone doesn't work for losing weight. Too easy to outeat exercise calories.

I think WW is pretty good and have seen many friends lose weight successfully on it. But keeping it off still is challenging. Which I have found to be the same with pretty much any weight loss method.

@iris lily You are right though. We do have to remember that at the end of the day, WW is a business.

For myself, I used My Fitness Pal successfully in the past. It was free and helped me learn portion sizes and how to count calories. Now I can estimate pretty well and do usually manage to  lose weight whenever I am mindful, pay attention and am sufficiently motivated.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 12:55:58 AM »
Joining! I also posted goals around this in the Badassity Resolutions thread, but this will help with specific motivation.

Goal: -12 lbs (this will get me back to where I've been most of my life)
Strategies:
* Sugar on weekends only (and not excessive)
* Fasting 1X per week
* Smaller portions (use smaller plates to help)
* Light on empty carbs
* No eating after 7:00pm (drink tea to curb cravings)
* Exercise minimum 3X per week (running & weights/kettlebells)

Some extra ideas (many taken from other's posts):
- Lemon water in the morning
- Lots of veggie soups w/ a lean protein
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:41:44 AM by westtoeast »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 01:01:02 AM »
Yup.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 03:44:09 AM »
I was hoping someone would start a weightloss for 2018.

I lost 60lbs about 3 years ago and the last 3 months about 4 lbs have creeped on slowly. So my goal now that I have kept for the most part of it off is to lose 15 more. I am 6'3 200 on the head so I would like to be a lean mean 185.  I don't do diets. "Name called diets" like ww or low carb etc.. I just overall make better decisions, smaller portions and exercise. So technically since were all on a diet be it a good one or not that is mine. The last 3 months I believe the things that contributed the most to this slow gain is I have been traveling alot more and in fact am leaving tonight but then will be home on January 1st for two months so perfect timing. I have had a sweet tooth of late and sugar is obviously not a good thing. Also due to injury to my foot and my bad knees combined with just keep getting older I need to find ways to work around these things which I have. So thats my goal. 185 sometime this year! No pressure

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 04:29:07 AM »
I’m in.

Although I have no real idea of how much I weigh - probably c 100kg (sorry for the metric), and I probably need to be closer to 90kg. Scales broke (not because of me, I hasten to add).

My target is not directly weight-related: the first step is to be able to comfortably wear 36 inch waist trousers. I currently squeeze into them.

To do so, I will eat less sugary products (and salted peanuts mmmm...) and do a little more exercise. Simples. But I’ve not done it yet, so might need some help and accountability to change habits bit by bit.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 05:17:47 AM »
I agree with everyone that exercise alone doesn't work for losing weight. Too easy to outeat exercise calories.

I think WW is pretty good and have seen many friends lose weight successfully on it. But keeping it off still is challenging. Which I have found to be the same with pretty much any weight loss method.

@iris lily You are right though. We do have to remember that at the end of the day, WW is a business.

For myself, I used My Fitness Pal successfully in the past. It was free and helped me learn portion sizes and how to count calories. Now I can estimate pretty well and do usually manage to  lose weight whenever I am mindful, pay attention and am sufficiently motivated.

A few years ago when I was beginning a mostly failed attempt to lose weight, one of my best friends, who is the fittest person I know, told me that it's a lot easier to lose weight by cutting calories than by exercising. Now, he was not saying that exercise is not important, just that a calorie deficit is more effective for weight loss.

So this time, I have decided on the weight that I want to be, and then used an online calculator to find the calories needed to maintain that weight (2000 per day in my case), and that is my daily calorie target. My only focus is now trying to change my eating habits so that I routinely hit that calorie target (with a modest increase in exercise) and then I should not need to change anything else. If I can do that, then eventually I will get to my desired weight. It may take two or three years, but it took longer than that for me to put on this weight, and this seems like a more sustainable way of doing it than "dieting".

Maybe all of this is obvious to everyone else, but it was a new idea for me and something that I think I can stay with in the long term.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:26:01 AM by rab »

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 07:10:07 AM »
Last year on Dec 27th I was 261. Today I am 217. I got down to as low as 203 in early November but then hit a rough patch of weight gain due to a bunch of life - a death in the family, new job, moving, holidays, etc. I let the amount of life change I am going through get in the way of paying any semblance of attention to what I am eating. I am back with it today.

My ultimate goal weight is 175. Ideally I would like to hit a little below this weight this year, and then bounce back up a bit in maintenance. I want to hit it this year before my husband and I start trying for kids mid-year. What works for me is wearing a Fitbit to track activity, using MyFitnessPal to track my calorie intake. I will aim for 1900 calories and try to get my steps up in the 6K-10K range every day. Next year I am incorporating the gym and fitness more into my life. I know you cannot out eat exercise, but I want to / need to get more physically fit and build muscle so that I raise my resting metabolism.

To be honest, if I can maintain below 200, I would be happy. I was so close (at 203 in early November) but I let stress and anxiety get in the way. I learned a lot about myself though - It doesn't matter how well I have it together when things go smoothly, when life gets stressful I still have TERRIBLE coping habits. Previously I was wondering if I could lose the weight without dealing with the coping habits. Now I realize I really can't as they are the main source of weight gain for me. Can't maintain an ideal weight if you have a huge hole in your plan for success. This is another major focus for me.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:16:31 AM by wintertell »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »
Can anyone post the new 0 point list (200 items) that Weight Watchers came out with recently?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
I'm in!  I know counting calories works for me, but for some reason over the past few years I haven't been able to stick with it.  This time I need to make a commitment to track ALL food that I eat - including the random parties with snacks and dinners out, since those add up.

I also just paid for a year's worth of Jazzercise classes, which is the most fun form of exercise I've yet to encounter.  Hopefully it'll help me stay on track and also increase my overall health.

Good luck, everyone!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 12:49:15 PM »
Exercise that's fun is the best kind!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »
The numbers:

11/30/17:  Starting weight
12/27/17: - 8.80 lb

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
I'll join the thread this year, though I'm not sure how it will go. I'm due to defend my PhD in a few months so life is a bit crazy. Also my holiday season isn't over until early January. My breaking point was crossing over 195 last March and realizing that "the 200 club" was a legitimate possibility if I kept up what I was doing. :/ I started tracking calories with MyNetDiary (augh stupid name, great app), and lost 10-12 pounds by September, then fluctuatingly kept it off the rest of the year, though I stopped regularly tracking calories. Past ~4 months bf and I have cut down our meat intake for non-weight-loss health reasons (not fully vegetarian but vegetarian-curious/meat-as-a-treat mindset), and I think I've lost a pound or two from that, though no other purported benefits of plant based eating have been noted.

So...I hope to start the year roughly where I am now (or better!) in spite of intervening festivities...186lbs this morning at 5'3". My first goal is to break through 170 (which gets me out of the obese range by BMI, yikes, and back to where I started grad school, also). Achievable best weight is probably around 130 but I'm not really looking that far. Aiming for losing 1lb/week and celebrating every one that stays off!

Good things/habits when they happen:
-Meal planning (trying new recipes!)
-Salads for lunch (Bagged salads are great in a pinch! Frugality be darned; take my Taylor Farms from my cold dead fingers.)
-Attractive/enticing homemade food for lunch (vs 3 day old soggy stir fry...)
-Listening to hunger cues, particularly not eating when not actually hungry (not "nibbling" esp caloric foods)
-Measuring/portion control
-Getting a run in even 1-2x/week
-Salsa class 1-2x/week

Bad things/habits:
-Sweets/stress snacking
-"Too busy" to exercise (the emotional effects of this actually make me less focused and productive anyway)
-Liquid calories (juice or ginger beer, mostly, and like 0-1x night, not a case of Coke per day...)

My approach is moderation rather than abstinence, FWIW. I am very susceptible to "thirst in the desert" syndrome. If I tell myself I will never have a pastry or french fry again I will crave one until I break down; but I can tell myself I might have one tomorrow for weeks. Procrastination is great sometimes.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
12/27/2017 - 22.5 lbs

Goal: Consistent sub 20 lbs by mid 2018

Diet: 1 cup 2x/day -> 3/4 cup 2x/day feeding (Costco Kirkland adult indoor formula; meal planning not an issue).

This hasn't worked in the past due to:
  • reliance on children feeding (over-feeding) -> task falls to me
  • hard to measure 3/4 cup consistently -> new smaller cup will be used

Exercise: sourcing ideas from youtube

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2017, 05:46:04 PM »
12/27/2017 - 22.5 lbs

Goal: Consistent sub 20 lbs by mid 2018

Diet: 1 cup 2x/day -> 3/4 cup 2x/day feeding (Costco Kirkland adult indoor formula; meal planning not an issue).

This hasn't worked in the past due to:
  • reliance on children feeding (over-feeding) -> task falls to me
  • hard to measure 3/4 cup consistently -> new smaller cup will be used

Exercise: sourcing ideas from youtube

Poor kitty...

Remarkably, even though I am very overweight, our dogs are not! They self-regulate very well. I could learn some things from them.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2017, 07:53:11 PM »
The numbers:

11/30/17:  Starting weight
12/27/17: - 8.80 lb

So, I just realized that this represents losing about 2 lbs/week - and yet it kind of feels like failure. I need to deal with developing more realistic views about the pace of weight loss.

Phillderness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2017, 06:37:41 AM »
I'm in!  I signed up for Weight Watchers last month (mostly to shut my mum up, but also since she's been at it for a year and is 10 lbs away from her goal so something must be working.) I did the 3-month plan since it is the best bang for the buck, no meetings. If you do not want to shell out the cash (and I think that would be wise) you could just track using MFP or better yet journal your food and eat off their zero point items. I have also tried Whole 30 in the past, and love it but find it very, very hard to maintain after day 30. I tend to slingshot right back to where I was after a few months. If you suspect any kind of food intolerances, I suggest you try doing a Whole 30.

I personally have the goal to lose and keep off at least 10lbs in 2018.  Our food budget for two is $400/month, and I would like some accountability for that as well, so I'll be reporting those numbers as well.  For me, there is a strong correlation with my expanding waistline and being over budget with food.

Starting weight: 175

Here's the link to all the zero point foods if you would like to save yourself some money and not sign up for Weight Watchers.  Whole 30 has all their food lists and rules for free on their website.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iPvVV6zrB7PXpYPQ93DcpXJlGzD-Ua_y/view?usp=sharing

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 06:46:27 AM »
So after sitting around at my mom's house for a week and eating all kinds of rich food, I have actually lost 1.2 pounds. Baby was cluster feeding constantly for the first three days so I'm sure that helped. My scale says my percent body fat went up a bit, so I am going to get back into doing a little strength training every day. I feel like I am still a bit flabby around the middle from the pregnancy. Also my back was killing me after sitting in the car all day yesterday, so I will try to work in some yoga.

12/28 10.8 lbs from goal

Phillderness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 07:22:22 AM »
Can anyone post the new 0 point list (200 items) that Weight Watchers came out with recently?

Here you go!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iPvVV6zrB7PXpYPQ93DcpXJlGzD-Ua_y/view?usp=sharing

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
Goals for 2018:
-Lose 20 lbs
-Eat more fruit & veggies
-Run a half marathon

What didn't work in 2017:
-I have lupus, so if I save working out for the afternoon/evening, it's just an epic fail. - > need to work out in the morning.
-I stopped eating treats at work. This worked well. I actually avoided treats with a 85-90% success rate all year.
-Business traveling. This sucks & I never do well. Jet lag, beer, no access to food that I'm familiar with. -> I started to get better about working out, but there's a lot more work to do on business trips.
-Assuming walking casually was going to yield the same results as running. Shockingly, it did not. ;-)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »
Thanks for the list!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »
I did some bodyweight exercises AND yoga last night after work. Baby steps.

How do you all distract yourselves when you're hungry? I'm having a terrible time focusing at work when my stomach's growling. My job is really slow and boring at this time of year so the work itself is not a distraction; I am having to sit here and try and look busy as anyone who might be able to give us the go-ahead to work on something is on vacation. And all I can think about is FOOD.

I've been drinking coffee or herbal tea when I'm still hungry after eating breakfast and/or lunch, but I'm getting tired of the constant bathroom runs - bladder the size of a thimble! It is currently 5°F outside (and I feel like it's not much warmer in the office :() so I'm having a hard time getting myself to drink plain water. Trying to convince myself that plain hot water isn't disgusting, but so far have not succeeded, haha.

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 08:45:44 AM »
... Trying to convince myself that plain hot water isn't disgusting, but so far have not succeeded, haha.

try a little squeeze of lemon in it?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 08:48:01 AM »
So after sitting around at my mom's house for a week and eating all kinds of rich food, I have actually lost 1.2 pounds. Baby was cluster feeding constantly for the first three days so I'm sure that helped. My scale says my percent body fat went up a bit, so I am going to get back into doing a little strength training every day. I feel like I am still a bit flabby around the middle from the pregnancy. Also my back was killing me after sitting in the car all day yesterday, so I will try to work in some yoga.

12/28 10.8 lbs from goal

Way to go!

I noticed on Christmas day that jeans I was worded about fitting into didn't even pinch. Sure enough, stepped on MIL's scale to weigh the suitcase this morning and it showed 8 lbs. less than the last time I was at the gym. I doubt I lost that much on vacation, but it was certainly something.

I second the lemon water, or herbal teas.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »

How do you all distract yourselves when you're hungry? I'm having a terrible time focusing at work when my stomach's growling. My job is really slow and boring at this time of year so the work itself is not a distraction; I am having to sit here and try and look busy as anyone who might be able to give us the go-ahead to work on something is on vacation. And all I can think about is FOOD.

What about eating something that has a lot of fibre so it takes a while to digest.  Celery is like negative calories by the time it is digested.  Or even something that is hard to eat - such as pomegranite or orange with thick skin or pistachios or walnuts that you have to shell first.  The length of time it takes to eat it might help you feel satiated.  The other thing that I was wondering about is are you getting enough protein to hold off the hunger pains longer?

I agree - there is only so much herbal tea I want to drink. But at least walking to the loo is burning some calories.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
I would like to join in! I am 5'3" and in the low 160's, although I haven't been on the scale in a couple weeks. Will step on it 1/1 and make it a Monday habit for the year.

I turn 40 in August, and really want to get this weight thing sorted out for good. I was down in the 135-140 range in 2008 and have a closet full of clothes that fit then. Since then I got re-married, had a miscarriage, had two babies just under two years apart, and just haven't been able to prioritize my health. The youngest is now 6 and it's time to get it together! I don't care so much about what the final number is on the scale. I want my "skinny" clothes to fit again and I want to be healthy. That seems to be somewhere in the 135-140 range for me because I have a larger bone structure. I was down under 130 for awhile and looked unhealthy even though it is well within the "normal" BMI range.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »

What about eating something that has a lot of fibre so it takes a while to digest.  Celery is like negative calories by the time it is digested.  Or even something that is hard to eat - such as pomegranite or orange with thick skin or pistachios or walnuts that you have to shell first.  The length of time it takes to eat it might help you feel satiated.  The other thing that I was wondering about is are you getting enough protein to hold off the hunger pains longer?

According to MFP, no, not enough protein. I'm veg (eggs and dairy but no meat/fish) and get most of my protein from beans - and holy shit, I had NO idea how high-calorie and carby beans were. If I get enough protein for them then I'm always over my calorie limit. I'm going to try eggs for breakfast - I have a new Instant Pot and I'm told it makes great hard-boiled eggs that are easy to peel - important as I eat breakfast at work and don't want to make a mess. Can't control myself around nuts. Not a big fan of dairy when it's this cold out, except for warm melty cheese..... which I cannot control myself around either!

I have a hard time eating raw fruit/veg when it's {checks temp} - oh hey, we are now up to TEN degrees F! Heat Wave!

I actually did drink plain hot water today because it's so cold in the office. Dear facilities manager, I realize that 75 percent of the company's on vacation this week but the 25% who are here need hands that are not too numb to type.

This might sound batsh*t crazy and feel free to ignore if it doesn't apply, but (assuming you're eating enough/getting enough protein), have you tried reframing the growling? I found that when I first got on an eating plan my stomach would growl like that before meals. I started thinking to myself, "OH, that's the sound of calories burning. My stomach would like to eat, but it is not time yet. Plenty of people skip eating for an entire day, surely I can wait another few hours." For me, it kind of helped, and generally I was able to deal with it - not ignore it exactly, but smile to myself when I thought of the calories burning off.* After a little while of eating less as a routine, my stomach did not growl like that very often anymore, or maybe I just didn't notice it as much.

You know, that is actually helpful! It is the feeling of fat coming off, not the feeling of starvation and I'm-gonna-die! The fat just walks away! (Anyone else a Whovian here? Haha.)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
I need to do this. I'm not good with accountability when it comes to weight loss, since I usually fail. However I really need to to this. I will post my weight on 1/1/18 , and henceforward on  the first day of the month. I'd like to lose 2kg (4.4lbs)/month but from experience that will be a stretch goal. My first goal is to have a BMI that is no longer in the obese range - that could take all year.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!