Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459457 times)

Larabeth

• Bristles
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2016, 02:45:01 AM »
I'm gonna start working out.  I've been eating healthier but little of that matters when your job is mostly sitting for 12 hours in a high-stress environment (yay 911 dispatch).

My new goal  consists of working out 5X/week for 30 minutes each time!!!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2016, 07:01:56 AM »
I am weighing myself every morning but only recording on Monday mornings on MFP and only once a month here. I had to order a bridesmaids dress this week for a wedding in April. I was between two sizes, and I went with the smaller size, so I HAVE to step it up!

January 4: 153.0
February 1: 147.2

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2016, 07:04:15 AM »
@Elaine, good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

I ate a piece of chocolate Costco cake yesterday at a kids' birthday party (along with two pieces of pizza). It was totally worth it, but boy did I see it on the scale today. That and it sat like a brick in my stomach. It's a good thing that the ten day average is still decreasing!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2016, 07:54:06 AM »
I did very good this week, except for Saturday at a party with delicious snacks. I was really hoping to be in the 154s this morning, but at 155.2 I'll have to settle for 'close'.

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Goal weight: 130

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
@Cookie78 Don't shortchange yourself 4.8 lbs in 4 weeks is fantastic! I personally feel 1lb/week is ideal. Less worry about loose skin, and more sustainable in the long term. Slow and steady wins the race!

I am weighing myself every morning but only recording on Monday mornings on MFP and only once a month here. I had to order a bridesmaids dress this week for a wedding in April. I was between two sizes, and I went with the smaller size, so I HAVE to step it up!

January 4: 153.0
February 1: 147.2

We've had pretty similar results :) Mine is:

Jan 4: 154
February 1: 146.6
LOSS: 7.4 lbs

Mine is a lot of water weight though. I'm waiting until the end of this week to get a good grasp on what my overall trend is. I want to give trendweight a solid 20 days of data after the first couple of weeks of water weight came off.

I'm a bit concerned I am losing too fast. I only want to lose 1lb/week. Also, last week I went through some frustrations with not having enough calories to work with. Feeling much better about it this week, but I think I would do a little better losing slower and having an extra 100 calories or so each day.  Last week I averaged 1300 calories/day. This includes eating back some of my exercise calories, which definitely motivated me to get moving. I'm not hungry and overall feel satisfied on my current intake. Still, I want this to be sustainable and I have a feeling if I have to keep saying no to everything, I'm going to get fed up and give up or binge or whatever. Also, I don't want this to be a major "diet" and regain everything once I return to "normal" eating. And yes, some days I JUST WANT A TREAT!

The working out is going VERY well. I've been working out practically every day, mostly sticking to my plan for "easy wins" - doing Youtube videos aimed at beginners (or going for brisk walks). Yesterday, DH wanted to workout so I Googled a higher impact 30 min video. The workouts weren't that bad - but the fast pace and the higher impact was really hard on me. I'm sure I burned a whole lot more calories - but I hated feeling like I couldn't keep up and I hated the whole "insanity" feel. I'm sure some people get motivated by pushing themselves this hard, but I can burn the same calories doing a milder workout that's twice as long - and feel awesome and empowered at the end! I've also noticed that as my fitness improves, I naturally start choosing slightly harder videos. Week 1 & 2 - 10 min beginner videos, Week 3 - 30 min beginner videos, Week 4 - 40 min videos with some interval training.

Weather has been awesome, so I added 30 min lunchtime walks last week. My dog has put on a little bit of weight lately, so this morning, I've decided that I will also wake up a half hour earlier every morning (ugh) to take him for a 30-min walk.

Myfitnesspal and Calorie In, Calorie Out has really been working for me and I'm even eating healthier than I ever have. The biggest credit though, goes to you guys. I've tried all kinds of things over the years and have never really lasted more than a couple of weeks. 4 weeks in, I'm starting to believe that I WILL stick to this. Posting on here has really, really kept me accountable. THANK YOU, all of you!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:46:23 PM by elaine amj »

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2016, 01:29:29 PM »
I used to weigh 260lbs 2 years ago, and my original goal was 180lbs. I now weigh 190lbs and have stopped actively losing weight because I feel comfortable in my body now. Right now my goal is to maintain a healthy body.

Some things I learned along the way:
Calorie budgets are the *only* way to lose weight. Just like making more money than you spend is the only way to save money, burning more calories than you consume is the only way to lose fat.
Don't fall for those "low-carb", "low-fat", paleo, or any other restriction diets.
Eating less is a *lot* easier than burning more. If exercise is your thing, then power to you, but it's way easier for me to not eat a hamburger than it is to run 2 miles. Saves time too.
Eat food you like - in realistic portions. Don't try to eat nothing but soybeans and rice or starve yourself. You'll go nuts and binge.
Packaged food is designed to be addictive. Try to cook your own meals. It's also cheaper. I'm terrible at this lol.
Use "filler" foods. Lettuce and most veggies will fill you up, but have virtually no calories. Same goes for unsugared liquids, so make sure to drink enough.
Only eat when you're hungry. And don't force yourself to eat breakfast if you aren't hungry in the morning.
Celebrate every 5-10lbs - but not with food (maybe a little is ok...)
Don't snack when you're bored.
Count. Every. Calorie. After a while you can accurately guess, but I know when I started I had an unrealistic perception of how much I was actually eating!

Good luck!

+ Infinity.

I fully and completely agree with this. Everything you say is very true. Extremely common sensical advice. I just wanted to add one more thing that is related. No need to spend 1.5 hours at the gym. You'd be better off spending part of that time cooking good nutritious food and part of the time going for a brisk walk/run at a moderate intensity pace.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2016, 07:01:01 PM »
Today's win: swapped out high sugar break fast for oatmeal. I like oatmeal but end up picking up higher calorie breakfast food because it was easier (I have to make oatmeal myself). Yesterday I took sometime at home to figure out exactly how long I need to make it and found a whole container of healthy flavorings that I can put on it. Today, skipped high calorie one and made oatmeal at work and it took just five minutes.

I also bought the flavor topping in a glass jar to work. I have a deadline now to finish that jar in a month or to throw it out. Now I'm even more motivated to make my oatmeal. Yay!!

Today's loss: had a piece of chocolate chip banana bread at work for dessert. Need to stop looking at dessert, period!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2016, 09:31:03 PM »
Today's win: swapped out high sugar break fast for oatmeal. I like oatmeal but end up picking up higher calorie breakfast food because it was easier (I have to make oatmeal myself). Yesterday I took sometime at home to figure out exactly how long I need to make it and found a whole container of healthy flavorings that I can put on it. Today, skipped high calorie one and made oatmeal at work and it took just five minutes.

I also bought the flavor topping in a glass jar to work. I have a deadline now to finish that jar in a month or to throw it out. Now I'm even more motivated to make my oatmeal. Yay!!

Today's loss: had a piece of chocolate chip banana bread at work for dessert. Need to stop looking at dessert, period!
All of my life when I made oatmeal I always used something sweet (Sugar, honey, or flavored quick oats). Then changed to mostly fruits or protein powder but would only eat it once or twice a week. Then someone introduced me to "Savory Oatmeal"...now I eat that stuff everyday!!! Look up some recipes and give it a whirl.

I don't get a sweet tooth very often but if I do I will make protein fluff, fat free pudding, jello with fruit, natural peanut butter w/ apple/banana or just eat watermelon/grapes/raisins/craisins.

The brand Quest protein has a really good peanut butter or salted caramel flavor and I like to dip apple slices into it. Also, casein protein mixes better in oats. I normally get vanilla because I can use it with or on lots of stuff.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2016, 07:17:26 AM »
@Elaine: Way to work within your system. As you said, it has to be sustainable. There's no sense in making changes that aren't going to stick with you for life! And I agree about having a treat every now and then. I went to a birthday party and had a piece of my favorite dessert- Costco chocolate cake! It was the first sweet thing I've had since before January 1st. It was totally worth it - it was soo good! Although it did sit like a brick in my stomach, so it made me think twice about doing that on a regular basis. 

@Cookie: Way to go! A co-worker of mine always reminds me that "gone is gone." I hear her voice saying that in my head whenever I find myself getting discouraged.

My ten day moving average is still decreasing. I'm now noticing a weekly pattern in my weight fluctuations. It's good to have data!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2016, 07:53:31 AM »
@Cookie78 Don't shortchange yourself 4.8 lbs in 4 weeks is fantastic! I personally feel 1lb/week is ideal. Less worry about loose skin, and more sustainable in the long term. Slow and steady wins the race!

Oh I agree. Thanks. :) I'm pretty happy with my successes so far, and 1 pound per week is my rough goal. :)

Funny story: I wasn't hungry much yesterday at all, and I had no fruit or snacks (healthy OR unhealthy) left that I could bring to work yesterday, so I ended up eating very little, but not suffering at all. By the time I heard my belly grumbling I was already climbing into bed. Yesterday was my weigh in morning where I was hoping to be in the 154s, and hit 155.2, and this morning after a low food day I hit 153.8.... go figure, skipped the 154s altogether. (Though I recognize that I may bounce back up a bit after eating normally today.)

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2016, 09:05:46 AM »
I'm in; I guess my 2016 started in February! My biggest struggle is snacking at work, where people often bring in treats and indulgences, and my own cooking, which I do mostly at home but I'm always trying new recipes and not always evaluating them for nutritional value.

Is anybody interested in swapping MyFitnessPal names? It's at least some accountability. I'm at www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/taygete if anybody is interested.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »
I am down 1 1b.  I was hesitant to even state it because I know weight fluctuates, but, mentally for me that is a small win.  The scale hasn't moved for me in a while except for up, so it was nice to see it go in the other direction.  I abandoned all "ways" of losing weight and am now just shooting for, only eating when hungry and stopping when full.  I like this so far because nothing is off limits. My body knows when it is hungry and when it is not, I just have to start listening. 

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2016, 09:00:12 PM »
@cityfolks sent you a friend request!

My name in MFP is the same - elaineamj. Try to keep it simple :)

Today I just about threw a fit. I had put together a decent plan but completely forgot it was my coworkers birthday. Oh well, roll with the punches, right. I adjusted my plans a little and figured I would just go over by a bit and make it up tomorrow. Thought cake would be 300-500 calories. Turns out he brought in a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake. I was ready to indulge so accepted a fairly big slab. Afterwards, I logged it and just about freaked out - 770 calories!!!! Ack!!! I had to halve my dinner to make up a bit and still ended up the night being over by 250 calories. I did a ton of math before I finally accepted that this is not going to derail me by much. I think the most frustrating thing was - it was very yummy, but not 770 calories yummy. Not worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
I'm joining you all ...I have been on a carb-fest since xmas. Ugh!  Like some of you, I'm a shortie, too.  5'1" and it seems to show up so quickly!!
Anyway, I'm currently at 144 and want to get to 125. I usually get to 138 relatively easily and then it gets really tough.  I want 2016 to be the year I make it.

I'm lizh9 on MFP.

Congrats to all of you who are off to a great start!  You are motivating me greatly!
Liz

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »

Today I just about threw a fit. I had put together a decent plan but completely forgot it was my coworkers birthday. Oh well, roll with the punches, right. I adjusted my plans a little and figured I would just go over by a bit and make it up tomorrow. Thought cake would be 300-500 calories. Turns out he brought in a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake. 

I don't work in an office, but sometimes I stumble into a client site having their monthly birthday party. Well, the last one I was at had a veggie tray and cupcakes because there have been enough requests for healthier food. That vegetable tray was gone before a cupcake was even taken. It was pretty cool.

Most of my clients have too many birthdays that they have a monthly birthday/anniversary/special awards party instead of celebrating everyone individually. Is your office/department big enough for that?

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2016, 07:31:32 AM »
There was a huge event this past weekend in my town with lots of friends and friends of friends in town. We went out and painted the town red every night.

I'm so proud of myself for not indulging in everything or drinking alcohol constantly like everyone else. My fun didn't suffer, and neither did my budget. I wasn't labeled as weird for only drinking water or being absent for a little bit to work out.

A few months ago? I would have indulged in everything or would have been so grumpy for missing out.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »

Today I just about threw a fit. I had put together a decent plan but completely forgot it was my coworkers birthday. Oh well, roll with the punches, right. I adjusted my plans a little and figured I would just go over by a bit and make it up tomorrow. Thought cake would be 300-500 calories. Turns out he brought in a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake. 

I don't work in an office, but sometimes I stumble into a client site having their monthly birthday party. Well, the last one I was at had a veggie tray and cupcakes because there have been enough requests for healthier food. That vegetable tray was gone before a cupcake was even taken. It was pretty cool.

Most of my clients have too many birthdays that they have a monthly birthday/anniversary/special awards party instead of celebrating everyone individually. Is your office/department big enough for that?

Our office has only 8 people - so we celebrate each birthday with a cake. It's a fun thing and I wouldn't want it to go away. I just need to estimate the calories more accurately so I know what I'm eating. I was fine with eating 500 calories, but wasn't happy to find out I likely ate about 770 calories. I could have eaten a much smaller portion and everything would have been fine.

All that said, I have been finding that sometimes I am too rigid about my plan. I get deeply upset when something messes up my plan. I need to chill out - it's ok if I lose weight a little slower. I have no deadline in mind anyway. Every step, every pound loss - it's just part of my journey towards a healthier me. Losing the pounds is awesome - but my end goal is health, not a skinny body.

@bloomability That's fantastic! I'm making better choices too. I don't want to deprive myself, but it's certainly time to be more sensible. And just like we have been doing with our money, consider if the calories are worth it. I can have just as good a time while eating less :)

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
@lizh, welcome! There has been a lot of support and encouragement in this thread.

@elaine: good plan on not freaking out. A few calories, in the long haul, aren't going to make or break you. It's the additional calories over time (as we all know too well) that add up. Think about where you would have been if you hadn't planned and then indulged in that cake!

@bloomability: Way to go! It sounds like you have a good group of friends that support you in your decisions on how you choose to celebrate with them.

I've been exercising my will power lately. In a three-day meeting with a constant barrage of sweets (and an all you can eat buffet for lunch!). It is getting easier to say no to things I used to eat constantly, and the power of saying 'no' is much better than the guilt I used to have after overindulging!

That being said, it's been a rough week for me. I've ordered takeout two nights in a row (DH is on travel and I'm solo parenting) to make my life easier. Bad on the budget and not great on the waistline either. I did order a chicken salad the first night, but the drunken noodles I ordered last night probably didn't do me any favors. Oh well. It was delicious, and I still controlled my portions. Time to move on from that and keep on keepin' on!

*edited to fix italics tags.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:44:50 AM by Geostache »

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2016, 09:07:55 AM »
Alright, I'm going to start sending a bunch of friend requests to you guys on MFP to help me stay accountable.

I only lost 1/2 pound last week, probably due to hormonal cycles. I was craving chocolate something awful, but I prevailed. :-)

I haven't started walking at work yet, but it's been so damn cold! It's nothing compared to some of you folks who were just blasted with a blizzard, but damn it, I live in the desert! It should not be this freaking cold!

But I'm going out today. Once this morning (around 10:30 or so) and once this afternoon (probably around 2:30). Great work, everybody!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »
Hi guys, I'm in! 

I ended up losing most of the weight I wanted to lose in 2015, but... my weight tends to fluctuate radically from year to year.  So this year, I'm trying hard to maintain.  I'm a shortie as well, not quite 5'0." So gaining even a few pounds really shows. :\

My biggest weakness is sugar.  If I could give that up, I'd be great. 

My MyFitnessPal account name is Garthbear.  Please feel free to add me, I'd love having the accountability!

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
Oh my goodness, I weighed myself this morning and wow!  Really?  So, here I am with all of you lovely people.  I started weight watchers this morning.  It is free through our health insurance and I have had good luck with the program before. 

Sticking to my points.  This weekend will be a little wonky since we have guests coming, but I will do my best. 

Starting February 3 --- 200 pounds even. At least it is a nice, round number. 
Goal --- 150 pounds. 

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2016, 07:13:04 AM »
Week 5 weigh-in results: I'm down 0.8 pounds. I'm happy with it. It's been a rough week! My 5 week total is 15.6 pounds. I'm so close to my first goal (10% of my starting weight), I can taste it!

How is everyone doing?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: February 05, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »
@sunnyca Hi fellow shortie! I'm 5ft too :)

Jan 4, 2016 - ~154 lbs (didn't start weighing myself until a week later)
Feb 4, 2016 - 144.8 lbs

Almost 10 lbs down. That said, I have been watching trendweight closely as I have been worried I have been losing weight a little too quickly. This week, trendweight had 20 days of data AFTER my initial water weight loss. This is what it says:

So I am burning 241 calories a day MORE than my plan, averaging 1.5lbs a week. I really want this to move slow and easy (goal is 1 lb/week) and even though I have been feeling satiated, I am upping my calories. This is why:

- a little concerned about physical effects. My DH has commented that I have been acting scattered. Also, I am very sleepy every morning - this lasts until about noon when I finally perk up for the day. I get an average of 7-8 hours every night. I am not a morning person - but it's not normal for me to feel sleepy every single day.

- Prefer to go slow and steady. Concerned that if I cut too drastically, when I shift into maintenance, I will react by overeating.

- 1200 cals + 1/2 my exercise calories (avg 1300-1400/day) has VERY little wiggle room. This has left me feeling a little frustrated sometimes. I have to be so incredibly vigilant that everything entering my mouth is satiating. If I want a treat, I have to plan super carefully (and workout a lot). Increasing this to 1200 cals + all my exercise calories means I average about 1400-1500 cals a day. I can even have a 800-1000 calorie meal and STILL eat a normal sized breakfast and lunch (just have to workout a little more). I'll be able to fit in more fruit and other snacks.

I've been feeling a little nervous about what seems like a BIG increase in calories - but pretty excited too. I will re-evaluate after 2-3 weeks to see if I am on track with my weight loss or if I need to readjust calorie intake up or down. It's also going to be a bit of a mental adjustment since I am now used to seeing a 0.2lb drop daily - have to keep an eye on the bigger picture instead of the daily number.

But what I am REALLY excited about? My watch now hangs loose on my wrist!!! I like it snug, but now I can insert an entire finger in between the band and my wrist. I've lost an inch here and there - but nothing I have really been able to see. Looks like I am losing all my weight in my wrist first! In celebration, I put my wedding band back on (packed it away years ago) last night. It's still slightly snug (leaves a small indentation) so I might have to pack it away again. (I get a rash when it is too snug).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:08:02 AM by elaine amj »

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2016, 08:37:32 PM »
I am down to 140.8 (started the year at 143, and my goal is 135). I went running today.
I hope to get some exercise in tomorrow as well, maybe cycling to avoid the impact, because I'm going to a superbowl party in the afternoon and I want to be able to enjoy some of the food.

I have to be pretty strict with myself in order to see any changes at this point, but I am hopeful that if I continue a combination of running and strength training and eating from-scratch foods that the change will be positive. Already I feel reasonably pleased about my present progress, because I lost about 6 lbs over Nov-Dec without too muh difficulty, and have been able to maintain that plus a little bit more loss in January. I know from the slowing I'm probably pretty close to my optimal weight.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »
@peppermint That's fabulous! And it does sound like you are getting so close to optimal that progress is likely to be slow. At this point, it's likely better to pay more attention to your body, your measurements, and how your clothes feel than to your scale.

With just 5lbs to go, you'll be figuring out how to ease into maintenance and what that means for you. You're rocking this!!

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2016, 07:47:46 AM »
Checking in. My rough week extended through the weekend. I made some poor food choices, and now my 10 day average is trending up. Ugh. Of course, it's trending up by 0.1 lb, but this is the first time it's trended up since I started the journey. My co-worker said that I'm inspiring her, so that's helping me get my motivation back. Most of the stalling is from lack of planning, so I'm getting back to that, too. I'm taking this as a challenge to re-commit. It will be good to see how my mental fortitude holds up!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2016, 08:13:43 AM »
I had a hard weekend too. We ate two meals over other people's houses and so I didn't have a lot of control over what was put out and my willpower In the face of trays of snacks just sitting there leaves something to be desired. But luckily it was just those two meals and I made up for it with light breakfasts. Back on track now. Good luck everyone! This thread has been really helpful to me.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2016, 08:47:25 AM »
Pretty good week for me. I had a Chinese New Year banquet on Friday, which was delicious and plentiful, but I planned ahead for it. The rest of the week was pretty normal. Got hit over the head with the depression bat Saturday morning and didn't have much energy to eat too much over the weekend. I also didn't go for my usual run on Sunday. Today is better already and I'm invited to go rollerskating tonight, which would be good for both friendly socializing and making up for missing my last run.

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Goal weight: 130

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »

1/4  - 152
1/11 - 149
1/23 - 148

2/9 - 150

I have been completely consumed with carb cravings.  Fell into the popcorn bowl during the big snow 2 (!!!) weeks ago and just can't seem to climb back out. And then the whole super bowl weekend thing!  I know this is where intermittent fasting shines, but but intellect and action are not meeting up right now.

OK: today's plan is to fast until tomorrow evening. Will check back in tomorrow to report...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2016, 11:56:30 PM »
I'm starting my 4th Whole30 tomorrow. I am 4 months into my weight loss/restoring health journey after gaining 70+ pounds after 2 injuries and surgeries in 2014 and 2015, and also my previous weight gains from my childbearing years. I'm down 41 pounds now, and have gone from a size 18 to a size 10. I'm psyched that I've found something that finally works!

I love reading everyone's successes and struggles here -- its nice to know I'm not alone:-)

Have a great day of clean & healthy eating!!!

Tyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2016, 06:20:19 AM »
Start - 194
6th Feb - 192

I went on holiday at the end of January so was rather lacking in focus on the food front, I've also been bad with sugar and eating when I'm not hungry. Plan for February is to stop buying junk food at the weekends and to have a fruit tea or glass of milk rather than eating when I get a sugar craving.

I tore a hole in a pair of trousers when I was hiking, so that's providing a bit of extra motivation as I really don't want to buy another pair when I have some nearly fitting ones at home already.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:37:17 AM by Tyn »

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2016, 07:04:44 AM »

1/4  - 152
1/11 - 149
1/23 - 148

2/9 - 150

I have been completely consumed with carb cravings.  Fell into the popcorn bowl during the big snow 2 (!!!) weeks ago and just can't seem to climb back out. And then the whole super bowl weekend thing!  I know this is where intermittent fasting shines, but but intellect and action are not meeting up right now.

OK: today's plan is to fast until tomorrow evening. Will check back in tomorrow to report.

2/9 - 148

So yesterday is almost like a free do-over since I had the date wrong all day!  Didn't make my goal fast, but not bad at 24 hours. Fasting is a great reset for me.  Feeling energized and capable again. So plan for the week is keep the focus on high quality veg. And since the popcorn jar is empty I just might get through the snow forecast for this week. 

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:30 AM »
Current: 5'4" female, 172 pounds. Would love to get down to 130 but would be happy with 150 or less.

Down to 168 as of this morning. Haven't added much exercise (except decluttering) yet. No profound diet changes (except cutting way back on the demon sugar). Currently we just don't have the budget for Whole30/paleo so we're eating down our food stocks in the healthiest way possible. I have been avoiding gluten and only eating a bit of the gluten free bread/muffins etc (all whole grain, homemade and very low sugar).

It doesn't seem like much on paper but I'm happy with my progress, have more energy/feeling better, and it has been easy. :-)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Hi - I'm late to the game seeing it's already the 21st of January - but I figured better late than never. I've always been a big girl, but I currently weigh about the same as when I was 9 months pregnant with my 13 year old son, and more than with my 10 year old daughter. I am wearing larger pants than ever before, and I'm slightly horrified when I realize the chunky face in the mirror or pictures is my own. About 5-6 years ago I had great success with WW and when I turned 40 (I'm not 46) it was literally like a switch was turned off and I started gaining like clock work regardless of how little I ate. What I really need to do is exercise - but I'm really not a fan of it - at all... Anyway - I find the posts here very inspiring and helpful - and I'm doing what I can to get back on track. I know that tracking what I eat and weighing food has worked in the past and I'm starting to do that again these days. I also got a fit-bit for Christmas and seeing how little I walk (about 8,000 steps per day only) and how little good sleep I get has been interesting. I'm using the app to track food as opposed to MyFitnessPal only because they're linked. From January 2015 to January 2016 I had an overall loss of ~6 pounds. I would really like to lose ~30 in 2016 - that will still keep me in an unhealthy weight range - but if by chance I lose more - all the better. I have a big problem finishing off the kids plates, polishing off the leftovers nobody else wants (hate to waste food), and making healthy choices [oh, there's a handful of cheetos left in the bag - I'll just finish them; and don't toss your pizza crust - I'll have that too - with ranch dressing on it]. It's also affecting my 10 yr old who is larger than she should be - I need to help her learn better habits than mine - so I'm invested in this!
Ok - now the hard parts - ha ha! I'm a 5'9" female (slowly shrinking in height). Weight on 1/3/16 = 208.3, weight today on 1/21/16 = 206.8 - it's not much - but it's something, and in the downward direction! Thanks for the add - I'm going to aim for the recommended 10,000 steps per day, and make better choices - hoping this will keep me accountable!

Late to the game too.  I'm turning 46 this year, and I hear you on the over-40 - it really was like you flipped a switch - though for me, it was at 39.

I had my second baby at 42, gained 50 lbs (my mother died while I was pregnant), and yeah, it was ugly.

I have found that *what* I eat is a huge component.  Yeah, I still have to weigh and/or measure, but even with that, I have to be careful about what I am eating.

I hear you on "not wasting food".  Some things that I do:
- serve the kids small portions so there is less likely to be leftovers.  And save their leftovers for them for later. 
- do not eat off their plates - my kids have had THREE rounds of stomach flu this winter, so this is an easy one
- scoop out the leftovers that nobody wants for lunches.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2016, 02:17:54 PM »
I used to weigh 260lbs 2 years ago, and my original goal was 180lbs. I now weigh 190lbs and have stopped actively losing weight because I feel comfortable in my body now. Right now my goal is to maintain a healthy body.

Some things I learned along the way:
Calorie budgets are the *only* way to lose weight. Just like making more money than you spend is the only way to save money, burning more calories than you consume is the only way to lose fat.
Don't fall for those "low-carb", "low-fat", paleo, or any other restriction diets.
Eating less is a *lot* easier than burning more. If exercise is your thing, then power to you, but it's way easier for me to not eat a hamburger than it is to run 2 miles. Saves time too.
Eat food you like - in realistic portions. Don't try to eat nothing but soybeans and rice or starve yourself. You'll go nuts and binge.
Packaged food is designed to be addictive. Try to cook your own meals. It's also cheaper. I'm terrible at this lol.
Use "filler" foods. Lettuce and most veggies will fill you up, but have virtually no calories. Same goes for unsugared liquids, so make sure to drink enough.
Only eat when you're hungry. And don't force yourself to eat breakfast if you aren't hungry in the morning.
Celebrate every 5-10lbs - but not with food (maybe a little is ok...)
Don't snack when you're bored.
Count. Every. Calorie. After a while you can accurately guess, but I know when I started I had an unrealistic perception of how much I was actually eating!

Good luck!

Okay, I had to highlight the first two, because - well let me just say that what works for you doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

On your last one, I agree.  For anyone embarking on a weight loss journey, that first day/week/month of calorie counting is an eye-opener!  When I first lost weight in 2002, I "cut back" my food intake, then wrote down every bite for a month.  After a month, I went back and counted the calories.  It was freaking 2400 to 3000 !!  After cutting back! (5'2" and female, and active, but not that active!)

Well, 14 years and two kids later, and now over 40 - calorie budgets *may* work but they might not.  "Necessary but not sufficient" is a term my boss used.
In my own personal experience, I've found that over 40 weight is more stubborn, and *what* I eat matters much more.  When it comes to any food that affects my blood sugar especially.

As an example, in 2014 I was focused mostly on losing the baby weight. I started the year at 168 pounds.  By September I was in the low 150's. 
I wasn't counting calories, per se, but I was using a portion program, where each type of food was a different color/ size of container.  So, it's basically calorie counting.

In September and October, I lost 2 pounds each month.

In November, I decided to try something different - I stuck to the same plan.  I changed my carbs.  I was eating two 1/2 cup servings of "high carb" foods per day - whole wheat bread, corn, peas, beans, oatmeal, pasta, rice.  Treats also fell into this category, so a glass of wine could be subbed occasionally, or a little bit of dark chocolate, or some raisins/ dried fruit.

For November I eliminated sugar, wheat and alcohol.  I had the same # of carbohydrate calories and servings per day.  But they were *only* beans, corn, peas, oats, rice, corn tortillas, potatoes.  No treats whatsoever.  I lost SEVEN pounds that month.

A calorie is not necessarily a calorie.  And when it comes to finding what works, you may find that what works when you are 20 doesn't work when you are 30, or 40.  I've certainly had to make tweaks over the years.

Luckily I lost all the baby weight by end of last year, and at 46, no more babies here.  Now it's about maintenance.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »
Lots of great progress reported!! So great to see :)

@Geostache & @rockstache: to navigate the tricky social stuff, I often pre-log or specifically plan my days to fit in a bunch of extra calories. I'll budget about double the size of my normal meal so I can feel OK knowing that I can have a few treats. The eat less/workout more to make up for it. I really like counting my calories on a weekly basis.

Keep it going folks! We can do this!!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2016, 11:13:37 AM »
Sounds like everyone is doing great here!  I'm going through a bunch of stress and work and home, so I've been eating horribly.  I definitely need some accountability so that I don't gain back the weight that I lost last year. 

Reading how well people are doing here is providing some great inspiration.  :)

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2016, 12:45:17 PM »
@elaine: That's a great idea! My issue has been that I just don't plan well, and then wind up going out to eat and not making very good choices (which is not great on my wallet, either!).

After a couple of days of my 10 day average going up, it's finally trending down again. Of course, I came down with the world's worst sinus infection on Monday. It's been giving me flu-like symptoms (rapid flu test was negative at the dr's), and I haven't been eating much. Not quite the way I want to lose the weight. :-/

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »
Mid-week accountability check!

I'm not doing terrible this week, but pretty close. I'm giving myself a pass because it's a shitty week emotionally and just getting through it is a win, but I haven't gone for a run all week and the last three days in a row I've eaten delicious treats at work. I plan to start running again next week and hope I can stick with it since I was doing so well before now. And I have been limiting treats at work to a reasonable amount. My overall calories are still ok, but I know the sugar isn't helping me in the long run.

Bad weeks happen. Still in it for long term progress. :)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2016, 06:55:57 PM »
@Geostache being sick is a crappy way to lose weight - but I guess there's always a silver lining in every cloud.

I went out to eat last night to celebrate my anniversary. AYCE sushi - I budgeted about 1500 calories and when I logged what I actually ate, it worked out to 2000 calories. UGH! It literally made me sick to the stomach and I ended up throwing up most of it :( I was quite worried I was exhibiting bulimic tendencies, but have been nauseous all day today. I was actually glad I felt sick today LOL! So the nausea plus the lack of food for most of today has meant I am likely well within my calorie goals. I actually dropped 2lbs in a day. So weight loss is still happening faster than I like. Oh well - I'll see how things go over the next week before I start trying to rebalance my calorie intake.

I haven't worked out much this week though. Weather's been crappy so have skipped all my walks and have also been skipping many of my evening videos.

@Cookie78 An accountability check is a great thing! If your overall calories are OK, I wouldn't worry about it...at the end of the day, it's the math, right? I hear ya about restricting the treats at work. It's hard - and yes, I had a half a paczki on Tuesday LOL! I did manage to skip today's birthday cake since I left early (sick).

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »

@Cookie78 An accountability check is a great thing! If your overall calories are OK, I wouldn't worry about it...at the end of the day, it's the math, right? I hear ya about restricting the treats at work. It's hard - and yes, I had a half a paczki on Tuesday LOL! I did manage to skip today's birthday cake since I left early (sick).

Yay for skipping snacks. :) I'm not too worried about it, I know I'll have good weeks and not as good weeks. My last bad week was really motivating for being better the following couple weeks. :)

I've been carrying half a cucumber back and forth to work all week for snacks. I haven't eaten it because apple fritters, cupcakes, and ice cream. Because my calories were already higher than normal for the first half of the day I skipped the carbs for dinner and had a small moose steak, beets, and that cucumber. DAMN, that was a delicious cucumber. I think my stomach was so thankful after all the sugar today.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »
In September and October, I lost 2 pounds each month.

In November, I decided to try something different - I stuck to the same plan.  I changed my carbs.  I was eating two 1/2 cup servings of "high carb" foods per day - whole wheat bread, corn, peas, beans, oatmeal, pasta, rice.  Treats also fell into this category, so a glass of wine could be subbed occasionally, or a little bit of dark chocolate, or some raisins/ dried fruit.

For November I eliminated sugar, wheat and alcohol.  I had the same # of carbohydrate calories and servings per day.  But they were *only* beans, corn, peas, oats, rice, corn tortillas, potatoes.  No treats whatsoever.  I lost SEVEN pounds that month.

A calorie is not necessarily a calorie.  And when it comes to finding what works, you may find that what works when you are 20 doesn't work when you are 30, or 40.  I've certainly had to make tweaks over the years.

Luckily I lost all the baby weight by end of last year, and at 46, no more babies here.  Now it's about maintenance.

So very glad you found what works for you - I hope I will be as successful as you were! You are right - different diets suit different people. That said - I'm curious - you said you adjusted your two 1/2 cup servings to carbs that specifically restricted sugar, wheat and alcohol (3 things you would include in those portions previously). Aren't things like alcohol and sugary treats much higher in calories to portion sizes than "leaner" carbs? I would think that previously you were eating more calories than you did in November.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »
@elaine: Boo to the stomach bug! Ugh, that's awful. I hope your stomach feels better soon (and that it wasn't because of the sushi)!

@cookie78: it's amazing how different foods can affect the body! I didn't realize how sluggish I felt when I was eating all that junk until I stopped eating it. Now that I'm eating better in general, when I do indulge, it feels like I've swallowed a brick.

This week's weigh in was good. I'm down 2.2 lbs. Here are my stats so far:
Jan 1: 182.8
Feb 12: 165
Total loss: 17.8

I'm so close to that first 10% goal I can smell it!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
@geostache You have been dropping that weight FAST! The 10% will be here before u know it.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »
I'm in!

I am ~170 currently, maybe 168.  I am apparently almost obese at 5'8".  Ouch!  I am in a 12 pants.  Goal is probably 160.  Pre-kids I was 148-150 in size 8.  That is probably not realistic with perfection in eating, and I don't want to live like that!  160 is much more realistic to maintain and should be a solid size 10. 

What am I doing:

-Tracking food on MFP
-Fitbit purchased with xmas gift money, working on tracking steps and use it to determine my overall caloric burn
-Walk every day, do stretches and core work in front of telly every night
-3 times a week do some weights

I've lost ~5 lbs since October.  Hard to tell at the moment as I seem to have gained a bit over xmas, oops.

Well, here I am again.  First posted on page one, forgot to ever come back.  Since Xmas I've been eating fairly well, but not tracking closely, and not doing my weights at.all.  Ugh.  I have still been wa
King almost every day, but the temps have been all over the place, currently the winds hill is -5.   So.  Yah. 

Weight this morning was 168.0. Considering my lackluster efforts, it is not surprising that I haven't lost.  I am not mentally ready to recommit to weights, but I am recommitting to logging all my food, and I continue to walk daily and do my core work at night. 

I'm glad this thread has been so active! 

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »
@geostache You have been dropping that weight FAST! The 10% will be here before u know it.

Thanks! I'm almost ashamed to admit how poorly I was treating my body before Jan 1st. It's kind of gross when I think about it. A lot of the weight that has come off was a result of *ahem* not having a beer or two every night. o_O

My challenge has now become how to find foods that I like enough, that are budget-friendly, healthy, and quick to make to put on a monthly rotation. I've made many tasty recipes, but the ones I like the most (pearl barley & shrimp risotto, for example) are not conducive to my busy lifestyle.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2016, 10:10:30 AM »
Inching down ever so slowly...

Nov 1  - 201lbs.
Jan 13 - 188 lbs.
Jan 18 - 187 lbs.
Feb 12 - 186 lbs.

Goal 185 lbs.
Stretch 180 lbs

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »
@geostache I am in love with skinnytaste.com. I havent spent much time on budgetbytes but heard it is good.

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2016, 05:19:31 AM »
My goal is to lose 10kg (22 lbs) of body fat. I started in mid-january, the fat has to be lost at the end of may.

10kg fat equal 70,000 calories, so I need to have a constant deficit of slightly over 500 kcal a day to accomplish my goal. I eat healthy, keep a food diary and cycle my 26km roundtrip to work each day.

Four weeks into my "challenge" I'm doing fine. Slightly behind target, but a few hard workouts should adjust my balance.

My starting weight was 88kg (220 lbs), goal weight is 79kg (174lbs) with 1kg of muscles gained.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2016, 08:31:45 AM »
@geostache I am in love with skinnytaste.com. I havent spent much time on budgetbytes but heard it is good.

I think you may be my new bff! That site is awesome. Thanks for the tip!