Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459561 times)

scrubbyfish

Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1250 on: October 04, 2016, 11:22:48 PM »
I'm only 5'4, but I feel like such a giant, "wide load", old growth tree next to women who are way more petite than me. Hate that feeling.

On the other hand, yesterday I noticed a woman who was maybe 4'11 and I felt sad that she doesn't get to eat as much food as me. It just seemed like such a rip off! (Again, I love eating good volumes of food. Also, I realize this is one of those silly thoughts I have, because if she moves more than I do, she probably DOES get to eat more than me! I think my point in this embarrassing story is that yesterday I appreciated being 5'4 because it means I can maybe eat more than I could if I were shorter.)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1251 on: October 05, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »
I don't want anyone to feel worse about themselves from this thread.
I am 5'5" and don't look fat but I am way heavier than I had ever been in my life.  I used to wear size 2 and now I wear size 8-10. Middle age hit and my weight just kept creeping up. 
I was terribly underweight at 25 - 98 pounds and in the process of getting diagnosed with Celiac.  I could barely function day to day.  I got every bug that was going around and was constantly tired.  Post diagnosis and learning how to eat without getting glutton-ed, I gained weight to about 105 pounds and that was where I stayed until I had my first at 34 years.  Then my post baby weight was around 110 which is pretty trim.  Then along came number 2 at 37 and I never rebounded under 118 and had the puddle belly or muffin top.  I was playing rec soccer and hiking and doing all the yard work and a good share of the reno work so I was pretty happy but I always felt I could get back to 112 if I wanted to.  But at the moment life was too dang busy.  But then five years ago the weight started to creep up a little faster.  Every six months I got a little bigger and last year's summer clothes were just uncomfortable and then last winter's clothes were uncomfortable.  Photos of me were really strange looking.  Tiny eyes, no chin, no jawline.  I didn't look young and pretty anymore.  So on my second's 12 birthday I joined here and started to get things in hand.  Stopping the creep and getting back to a non-anorexic looking me.  The me that the scales say is on the lower side of a BMI. Most of my adult life I didn't get on the BMI chart in my cookbook.  My mom always said I was a "poor-doer"  But I was always moving and able to do things that most people couldn't - run 5k- ski all day- paint a room, sand a floor, dig a trench. But I will never be strong enough to haul hay or pavers or hang sheet rock.  I just don't put on that type of muscle.  My sister-in-law can bench press my brother.  (He told us in admiration - he is 6feet tall and she is 5'6". ) She can also do full iron man's.  I will never be able to do that. Now I am having trouble with my feet and I think it is because my bones aren't meant to carry as much weight as other people my height.  So I hope that I am not discouraging anyone but I am a very fine boned average height woman with a puddle belly and chubby cheeks if I carry any extra weight.  And most importantly, if I were to put on 1.5pounds a year for the next thirty years, I would likely be unable to walk.  That was where I was headed in April.  Thanks to the inspiration and example and support from this thread I am in a much better place.  Your latest posts have me thinking that I should modify my goal to hit 125 pounds instead of 120 but try to firm up my belly and be able to do a chin up or 10 pushups or something.  I want to look like me but I want to be able to do the things I enjoy and feel able and competent.  I think I just needed some sort of metric to measure my progress and chose to jump onto the scale first thing on Thursday mornings as that.  It is a very easy thing to measure. It is not perfect.  The better metric is way harder to share and to clearly hold myself accountable to. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1252 on: October 05, 2016, 08:20:01 AM »
@Frugal Lizard It's like you said. The weight just kept creeping upwards. After my kids, I started adding about a pound or so every year. Then last year alone, I ate out a LOT (very un-Mustachian) and developed a ridiculous craving for fried chicken wings. I think I added 5+ pounds in just a single year because of that.

I had accepted being overweight. Then, I started wandering into obese territory. I had thought I would *never* get that bad. Until I did. Since my passions revolve around outdoor activities, I knew this was going to affect all the things I like to do. Plus, my husband was getting super worried about my overall health. Finally in January this year, I managed to get a hold of myself. It still shocks me that I've managed to accomplish so much this year.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1253 on: October 05, 2016, 08:49:08 AM »
Oh I hope no one feels shamed by this thread at all. It has been SUCH an encouraging place for me. My weight has been doing well and I am feeling great. BUT!! I have never had a baby. For those of you who have been working on bouncing back from a body event so incredible and difficult that they call it LABOR....my hat is off to you. You made a person in your wonderful body! Feel no shame.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1254 on: October 05, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
Frugal Lizard, what an amazing and inspiring account!

It also drives home the excellent point that "ideal weight" is specific to each body. Some folks here, like you, need to maintain or pursue a much lower weight than others, due to height, natural muscleness, etc. At the same time, "low weight" as an arbitrary measure is nothing to aspire to, as for many of us it's only an indication of illness.

What a journey you've had!

I'm really glad you're getting healthy, and setting the goal that is relevant for YOU. It's beautiful.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1255 on: October 05, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »
I agree that no one should feel bad on this thread - that would totally defeat the purpose!  :) 

I have found it to be very inspirational.  I've liked hearing everyone's weight because it just shows how different everyone is.  I think it helps to see people as individuals rather than just a number.  And course, for some people weighing in on a regular basis works great, but us women have our hormonal battles every month and that throws everything out of whack.  So we have to take that into account.  And having kids adds another amazing layer.  Sometimes if feels frustrating to see how quickly my husband can lose weight.  It's not an even fight!  So I like coming here and chatting with women. 

This morning I woke up and reminded myself that I was going to work out first thing.  So I stayed in bed an extra half hour! But then I got up and did it and it was a great workout and I felt awesome afterwards.  Walked the dogs, showered, hearty breakfast with my light box, and I've planned a light day of gardening to get some sun and just one errand to pick up some broccoli and such.

Hope everyone has a great day!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1256 on: October 05, 2016, 12:11:38 PM »
@Frugal Lizard - since you like being active so much, I think you would really enjoy working out and strengthening your body!  It's really cool to feel your body growing stronger and you can actually see the difference.  My arms have started to tone up and I can feel my ab muscles, even though they're still hiding under some fat.  :)  I enjoy how easily I can pick up a 40 lb bag of dog food and my heavy Le Creuset dutch oven!  I don't think I pick up my husband yet, though.  Props to your sister in law.  :)

I've always had very poor upper body strength so I've been increasing my pushups (I still do modified knee pushups because I have a bad knee but hope to work up to regular ones) and I think it's so cool that I'm so much stronger than I was 4 months ago.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1257 on: October 05, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
I'm only 5'4, but I feel like such a giant, "wide load", old growth tree next to women who are way more petite than me. Hate that

scrubbyfish - my husband's family is Asian and all the women are TINY!  So I can totally relate to this feeling.  When I'm with them I feel huge and quite frankly, uncomfortable.  I feel like a big walrus amongst tiny sleek dolphins.  And then later I will see photos of the event and I look just fine.  I don't stand out or anything.  It's really all in the head.  I'm not sure how to change that though.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1258 on: October 05, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »
I feel like a big walrus amongst tiny sleek dolphins.

lol, yes, that's it! And yes, I am truly a healthy weight and size! But that relativity sure does a number on me.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1259 on: October 05, 2016, 02:13:38 PM »
Today's success: didn't have a maple bar donut that was served in a meeting that everyone else was eating.  Those maple bars are from a famous shop in town and are to.die.for but I decided giving up my 6 month abstinence from sugar wasn't worth it.  Smelling those donuts for 1.5 hours was torture!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1260 on: October 05, 2016, 06:36:20 PM »
Thank you, Jojo, for opening this topic.  And thanks to everyone who has chimed in.  I agree also that this thread is ideally a safe place for people to share their journeys.  And it seems like everyone feels the same.  I'm really glad to have this place as a resource.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1261 on: October 06, 2016, 01:04:15 AM »
t also drives home the excellent point that "ideal weight" is specific to each body. Some folks here, like you, need to maintain or pursue a much lower weight than others, due to height, natural muscleness, etc. At the same time, "low weight" as an arbitrary measure is nothing to aspire to, as for many of us it's only an indication of illness.

Yeah I was about 85-90kg a few years ago (I think that's about 185-200 pounds). That was about ideal, even though it was still just in the overweight BMI range (~181cm/5'11.5" FWIW). I did reach 80kg at one point, but I looked better at 85-90.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1262 on: October 06, 2016, 03:08:10 AM »
I am finally back. Fatter than ever. I decided to keep trying on my own till the end of the year, and if I don't lose any weight I'll get professional help.

I was experimenting with some new low fat recipes, and I found some fantastic ones. Steamed tofu with steamed eggplant in ginger and soy sauce anyone? Stir fried spinach with steamed tofu? They are actually really really nice. I managed to serve lots of vege meals lately without anyone complaining, so there is progress in this area. And the kids like the soups i make, so we all eat healthier. I am just upset that I still look like a Michelin figure.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1263 on: October 06, 2016, 07:45:44 AM »
Thank you all for the encouragement.  It has been a journey to health.

Welcome back Bee21.  Expanding the menu is a big victory.  What other strategies are you going to try? 

M. Darcy - I know I would enjoy being fitter.  I have had a number of sports injuries and mishaps so I got out of shape and haven't gotten back.  I have tried taking classes and joining a gym and hated them.  My new mustachian habits seem to be working slowly - I take my bike a lot more and I am trying to add some fitness into the regular course of my day - walking to the train and farmers market.  I was hoping to swim more this past summer and I did, but not enough to increase fitness.  Our house is at the very top of a big hill and I notice it is not so hard to bike home.

Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
616 – 129.5
6/23 – 129.5
6/30 – 127.0
7/7 – 125.5
7/14 –  127
7/21 -126 – ok
7/28 – 127.5 – hmmmm  I think I need a new scale!
8/4 – 128.  – knew this was coming.
8/18 – 129  -same as last week
8/25 – 127 – this is better.
9/1 – 126.5 – whoot whoot!
9/8 – 126.5 – holding steady
10/6 – 127 – still holding steady

Goal : 120 lbs.  Modified to 125 lbs with better fitness/muscle tone

Habits check in:
Record everything in the food journal – 5% of the time - but it is going to get better this week - notebook and pen are on the counter beside the fridge now.
Eat sitting down at a table – 85% of the time
Snacking – 0% of days last week I did not snack.  Forgot about this goal.  At least some of the snacks were healthy high fibre low sugar snacks.
Still serving meals in the kitchen but having been putting the veggies on the table.
Soft drinks – Did not indulge in any this past week. Yippee!
Ice cream – two times this week but very controlled with the portion size. (half a yippee)

Fitness Activities:  DH and I have been going for walks most evenings.  He likes a good brisk pace and I have to confess it gets my heart rate up. I have 6 cubic yards of mulch on the driveway because it was on sale.  About 50 wheelbarrow loads hauled around the back will be a fantastic work out.  This kind of thing suits my temperament better than a gym work out.  Maybe I should build a rock garden in the back.  Hauling rocks would be another great way to build some strength. 

Our kitchen now has all the cupboard doors back up so only healthy fruit and veg are visible when you walk into the kitchen.  Now to train DH to stop buying potato chips!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1264 on: October 06, 2016, 07:48:27 PM »
Frugal Lizard - I like how you've broken out all the different areas you're working on.  I might have to steal that idea!

As for me, I put the brakes on the 2-bagels-a-day habit that was starting to form.  And today I also avoided the multiple-cups-of-hot-chocolate habit that had taken root.  I roasted some yams and sweet potatoes to help with the transition.  But boy, those things make me sleepy!  So yummy though.  I'm going to keep it as a treat though, they're pretty carb-heavy.  And I'm back on my workout schedule!  Yay!!!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1265 on: October 06, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
About 50 wheelbarrow loads hauled around the back will be a fantastic work out.  This kind of thing suits my temperament better than a gym work out.

+1! I love moving rocks, barrows of stuff, etc—creating something vs just "exercising."

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1266 on: October 07, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
Frugal Lizard - I like how you've broken out all the different areas you're working on.  I might have to steal that idea!

Please do - it is helping me with the willpower aspects.  It is dang impossible to have willpower 100% of the time. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1267 on: October 07, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »

Please do - it is helping me with the willpower aspects.  It is dang impossible to have willpower 100% of the time. 

Willpower is killing me today - the weight has plateaued for almost a week (in fact I'm up 1/2 pound despite lifting wts and salsa dancing last night - but the sleep was lacking too).  There's a bowl of Mike & Ikes in the breakroom and we get free pizza and cookies for lunch.  But, I put on a cute outfit today that I haven't worn before so hopefully that's the willpower I need.  Most of my fat clothes was donated to charity (with the rest sitting ready to be donated) so I can't go up again.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1268 on: October 07, 2016, 10:06:47 AM »
Good luck JoJo! Willpower is not my forte and I do best when I can control what comes into our house. Free food at work would be hard.

As for me, I usually do weight checks on Mondays but we are leaving to visit the in-laws for several days, so I am posting for accountability and motivation. I'm currently at 138.5, just 3.5 lbs from my goal weight and feeling pretty darn good about it! But, I always gain weight when I'm at my in-laws. My goal is to try to maintain this weight while we are away. I plan to: eat my regular breakfast of unsweetened oats and fruit (no muffins!), eat a light lunch, and go for lots of walks. I will eat dessert and drink alcohol in moderation, and will not eat/drink anything with calories after dinner. Hopefully that's enough! Especially since it is Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1269 on: October 07, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
Good luck JoJo! Willpower is not my forte and I do best when I can control what comes into our house. Free food at work would be hard.

As for me, I usually do weight checks on Mondays but we are leaving to visit the in-laws for several days, so I am posting for accountability and motivation. I'm currently at 138.5, just 3.5 lbs from my goal weight and feeling pretty darn good about it! But, I always gain weight when I'm at my in-laws. My goal is to try to maintain this weight while we are away. I plan to: eat my regular breakfast of unsweetened oats and fruit (no muffins!), eat a light lunch, and go for lots of walks. I will eat dessert and drink alcohol in moderation, and will not eat/drink anything with calories after dinner. Hopefully that's enough! Especially since it is Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend.

Living alone luckily allows me to control what comes in the house but avoiding the desire to swing by the store an buy a few bags of halloween candy and scarfing them down in one sitting is the pain today. 

Good luck on the Thanksgiving - do you eat Turkey & stuffing there like the states or is there some other traditional foods?  Thanksgiving meal is probably my favorite of the whole year, but this year I'll be eating lobster on the beach in Cuba!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1270 on: October 07, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »
@ Frudal Lizard I like the idea of slinging around some rocks too! I am not hugely inspired by gym workouts either. On the good side, my favorite hobbies are mostly active - hiking, cycling, canoeing, etc. On the bad side, I have a hard time incorporating enough of these activities into my day to day life.

Friday weigh-in

Jan 1 2016: 154 lbs....Jan 8 2016: 153.2 lbs....Jan 15 2016:149.2 lbs....Jan 22 2016: 148 lbs.....Jan 29 2016....147.4 lbs
Feb 5 2016: 145.2 lbs..Feb 12 2016: 142.8 lbs..Feb 19 2016: 140.6 lbs...Feb 26 2016: 140.8 lbs
Mar 4 2016: 139 lbs....Mar 11 2016: 138 lbs.....Mar 18 2016: VACAY......Mar 25 2016: 136.8 lbs
Apr 1 2016: 137.8 lbs..Apr 8 2016: 136.8 lbs....Apr 15 2016: 135.8 lbs...Apr 22 2016: 134.8 lbs..April 30 2016: 133.6 lbs
May 6, 2016:133.6 lbs.May 13 2016:134.6 lbs...May 21 2016: 137.6 lbs..May 26 2016: 132.2 lbs
Jun 3, 2016: 133.6 lbs.June 10 2016:133.8 lbs..June 17 2016: 132.2 lbs.June 24 2016:131.2 lbs
July 1 2016: 133.2 lbs.July 8 2016: 133.8 lbs...July 17 2016: 133.4 lbs..July 22 2016: 132 lbs....July 29 2016:132.4 lbs
Aug 5 2016: 132.2 lbs.Aug 12 2016: 131 lbs.....Aug 19 2016: 131.2 lbs..Aug 26 2016: 132 lbs
Sep 2 2016: 131.8 lbs.Sep 9 2016:    130.6 lbs..Sep 16 2016: 128.8 lbs..Sep 23 2016: 130.6 Lbs..Sep 30 2016: 131.6 lbs
Oct 7 2016: 131.2 lbs

22.8 lbs lost
GOAL WEIGHT: 130 lbs (Stretch Goal 120 lbs)

Still hovering at about the same weight I have been for a while. I'm thankful that this past week of binging and hiding under the covers didn't do more damage. I can feel my mood sloooowly improving today, which helps. At this point, I just can't look at losing weight - going to be happy if I can manage to maintain. We'll see how I feel once I get past this slump.

Last night, DH, DS and I started up a season of badminton (we chip in with a group of other folks in the community to rent a school gym). It's relatively inexpensive for winter exercise. And I LOVE badminton! Plus its the best exercise for me since I push myself to run all over the court. I wasn't able to participate last year because I was nursing a tennis elbow. It's better this year although not completely healed. The challenge is to see I can manage not to drive my DH and DS crazy now that I am joining them. I'm not particularly competitive. Of course, the adrenaline rush of keeping score is fun so I don't mind playing games - but get dizzy/bored with all the switching from side to side. I honestly just like volleying and messing around the best. Plus I'm rather terrible at badminton, which drives my athletic DH batty (even though he loves that I have learned to play). 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1271 on: October 07, 2016, 01:01:47 PM »
Well, I made a mistake this morning.  I went to Costco on an empty stomach.  I wasn't feeling hungry at all and I just needed a few things... But I came out with 2 slices of pizza for today and a Panettone for the weekend.  Had pizza for lunch and it was tasty but I felt crummy afterwards.  I had justified the pizza by the fact that I have lots to do today and it would be nice to not worry about meal prep. 

Oh well.  I'll make it up by keeping busy all day.  And I had a good workout this morning so that will help too.  However, if I want to get back to steady losing, I will need to get a handle on the carb consumption.

Last night I was thinking how I feel like I've been doing very poorly, but then I remembered that my dear friend died less than a month ago (on 9/11 actually).  And yes, my carbs went up, but I've kept to my workout schedule and kept my eating pretty healthy.  So a month of steady weight is actually really good considering the circumstances. 

I've been thinking that maybe I'll give myself a full 30 days of maintaining before I get back into losing mode.  I'm not going to let myself go crazy, but I'll remind myself that there are more important things in life than losing a pound or two. 

So, I hereby give myself this weekend to enjoy the panettone and a cup of hot chocolate or two.  On Monday I will reinstate my reduced-carb diet plan. 

Oh - and yes, rocks and mulch are great workouts!  I love getting a good soaking sweat from working with that stuff.  Right now my garden is pretty quiet, which is nice since my energy has not been as high this past month.  In a month or two I'll have lots of leaves to rake. 

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1272 on: October 09, 2016, 06:19:53 AM »
Part 1: Planned Binge - Not really "binge" but that's what I like calling it. Friday afternoon I decided I would eat "a bunch" (three items) of junk food on Saturday. I was glad I did that, as Saturday morning I was reminded I was due at a potluck banquet at noon! I felt fine about just enjoying and not tracking there, as it had been planned.

Part 2: Mum's House - I find it very hard to eat optimally at my mum's. We will be there for almost two weeks. I've been pondering how I can make this work. I like the approach (of elaine amj??) to increase my activity to compensate. I also don't think my max amount of activity will cut it. So, my newest idea is to aim to drop 3-5 pounds in advance, bring my (tiny, travel) scale there to weigh daily, and aim to come out at same weight I went in. That would be headway. It was there last June that I gained significantly.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1273 on: October 09, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »
@scrubbyfish - what is it in particular that makes you gain so much weight at your mum's?  If you identify the problem area you might be able to find a way to at least keep the damage to a minimum. 

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1274 on: October 09, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »
@scrubbyfish - what is it in particular that makes you gain so much weight at your mum's?  If you identify the problem area you might be able to find a way to at least keep the damage to a minimum.

It's multifold, largely sensory:

1. The house has no internet, so I go to a coffee shop to be cozy and get online. I like to get something there. I do now know what I can order at coffee shops that has less effect, so there's that!

2. I feel bored, frustrated, sad there, so I turn to food for a lift.

3. The house is chock full of candy-foods. I find I can ignore them for about three days, but not longer.

4. Every meal is a candy-meal.

5. The kitchen is very crowded and messy. I like working in a simple, clean space. I clean it over and over, but within a half hour it's very messy again. This puts me off preparing stuff. I do it anyway, but find I seek re-engergizing, comfort, etc, in the candy-foods after each few rounds of that.

As I type, I'm realizing I could keep it simple and get my own place while there! That'd run at least $720, but maybe that's worth it??

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1275 on: October 10, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »

It's multifold, largely sensory:

1. The house has no internet, so I go to a coffee shop to be cozy and get online. I like to get something there. I do now know what I can order at coffee shops that has less effect, so there's that!

2. I feel bored, frustrated, sad there, so I turn to food for a lift.

3. The house is chock full of candy-foods. I find I can ignore them for about three days, but not longer.

4. Every meal is a candy-meal.

5. The kitchen is very crowded and messy. I like working in a simple, clean space. I clean it over and over, but within a half hour it's very messy again. This puts me off preparing stuff. I do it anyway, but find I seek re-engergizing, comfort, etc, in the candy-foods after each few rounds of that.

As I type, I'm realizing I could keep it simple and get my own place while there! That'd run at least $720, but maybe that's worth it??

It would definitely be worth it to me.  The bolded section tells me that being there has a very negative effect on your emotional well-being.  If you can afford it, I say go for it!  Why be miserable for 2 weeks if you can avoid it?

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1276 on: October 10, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
My planned weekend treats disappointed.  Apparently my gradual changes to my diet have taken hold because the "treats" didn't feel like treats at all.  They made me feel sluggish and blah.  So I gave myself some non-food treats and that was much better.  They included giving myself a facial, taking naps, having relaxing showers and going to bed early, and listening to relaxation cds.  Much better forms of pampering!

Today I start my reset for weight loss.  I did my workout this morning - a shorter version to leave time and energy for housecleaning, laundry and cooking.  I'm also going back to reduced-carb eating.  That means no bagels!  And putting a better focus on protein intake.  And back to my salads - I miss them.

I'm also going to focus on giving myself non-food rewards.  This week I've planned on giving myself a foot soak, massage and deep scrub.  And I'm going to think of a good reward for staying on track for the week.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!  :)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1277 on: October 10, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
It would definitely be worth it to me.  The bolded section tells me that being there has a very negative effect on your emotional well-being.  If you can afford it, I say go for it!  Why be miserable for 2 weeks if you can avoid it?

Well, I wouldn't be miserable—my feelings there are much more mellow than that, and there are lots of good times (with candy!) too—but yes, after I typed that I thought, "Actually, I really would prefer to have my own place for the time, to avoid these and other matters, and also to enjoy some solo, parenting-free time." I looked up prices. They are much higher than I wrote here. So, am pondering options because I realize it really would be ideal to have another arrangement, but I want to balance the spending too. Five days solo in the middle might be optimal, and come in at or below $700. I'm brainstorming some other ideas, too, like seeing if I can rent a friend of a friend's basement suite for that time for less.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1278 on: October 12, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »
Hi Scrubby, I don't know if this is applicable to your situation or not, but I have used Air BnB to rent a room in someone's house quite a number of times now. It is much cheaper than renting a whole place, and if you tell them in advance that you are looking for a quiet escape, they are usually pretty good about giving you space. I look for people with good reviews, but I have also rented from people with no reviews and had a lovely experience. It may be that you have already looked, but I just thought I would suggest it in case you had not considered it.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1279 on: October 12, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »
Thanks very much, rockstache! A good, practical suggestion, which is what I feel like I need. Alas, the AirBnBs there are even more expensive than the cheapest motel rooms. (Like me, my mum has a rock-bottom cheap suite in one of the most expensive places in the world. Great for us as tenants, tricky for visiting each other!)

How else do you all manage your health while visiting family for so long?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1280 on: October 12, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
I've been fed three feasts in the last four days. My first weight increase since I started :)      I love the daily weighing for this info! Now I know I can get away with eating what I now understand to be optimal portions for me, but not get away with "whatever!" 3x in four days ;)

My coffee place is newly offering my very favourite cookie. Recalling the wiggle room I gave myself over the weekend, I opted not to get one. That feels fine. Like winnie-the-pooh, I am stuffed with enough fluff to satisfy me for some time. I don't need to keep doing it.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1281 on: October 12, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »
I've been on vacation for awhile and haven't checked in lately. The first week of my vacation was a lot of sitting in a car or plane, and eating reasonable for the most part, with a few extra treats I wouldn't normally have. And eating out more. But I was home for two days and noticed that I hadn't gained any weight. Yay!!

This week (hunting trip) consists of waking up at 5 am, going out in the cold wearing 3 times my normal amount of clothes, and carrying a lot more than normal, sometimes just driving, other times walking a bit, and other times hiking through the bush. Spending the daylight hours visiting or working my ass off, even though I keep planning naps (and the one day when I force myself to rest, here I am checking the forum). Then going out again every evening until dark, getting back late and asleep around 11.

I noticed yesterday that I've generally been too busy to eat much at all, and also too distracted or exhausted to notice any hunger. Between the extra exercise, the lack of food, and my body burning energy to deal with the cold, I'm really curious what my weight will be when I get back home.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1282 on: October 12, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »
Wow scrubby, I'm curious about where that could be now!

When I visit my family I definitely do need my personal space. Luckily my mother is very understanding of it if I state it clearly. We have been states apart for years, so generally when I do go home it is for short stints and we try to see each other as much as possible. I do like to get with them on a more one on one basis whenever possible. For physical health I do similar things to what I do when home. Some walking, healthy choices when eating. The bigger challenge to me (calorie wise) is drinking. My sister is a bartender and my mother likes her wine, and likes when others imbibe with her. I drink much less when I'm home. I do only get there for a weekend or two once a year though so it's not usually too big a problem.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1283 on: October 15, 2016, 01:14:07 PM »
I'm consistently 12 lbs below my starting point (Aug 3).
I feel good and "look right" according to me.
I now feel ready to drop the next 5.

I'm moving far more consistently than before, even with the pool closure.
Last weekend's three feasts aside, I have a great eating rhythm.

I think for my upcoming trip, I will pop a second set of "away days" in the middle, so three days in family's house, four days in separate suite, three days in family's house, three days away. That's a nice balance in every single aspect. It allows me to maintain my health, enjoy two brief vacations from parenting, connect with family, spend a reasonable amount.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1284 on: October 17, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »
Well, not too bad after weeks of vacations. I thought I'd be lower after all the exercise of the past week, but I'll take not gaining weight as a win. :) The good news is that my calendar for the next few months is gloriously empty, which means I can catch up on reading, relaxing, exercising, Spanish, hobbies, and other neglected life stuff. :)

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
May 23 weight 149.4 (extrapolated)
May 30 weight 149.6
June 6 weight 148.4
June 13 weight 150.4
June 20 weight 151.0
June 27 weight 152.4
July 4 weight 149.6
July 11 weight 150.6
July 18 weight 151.0
July 25 weight 150.2
Aug 1 weight 148.8
Aug 8 weight 149.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 15 weight 150.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 22 weight 151.4
Aug 29 weight 150.4
Sept 5 weight 150.6
Sept 12 weight 151.8
Sept 19 weight 153.2
Sept 26 weight 152.4
Oct 3 weight 152.0 (extrapolated)
Oct 10 weight 152.0 (extrapolated)
Oct 17 weight 151.8
Goal weight: 130

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1285 on: October 20, 2016, 08:49:09 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.  Skipped last week because it wasn't so pretty in my head.  But I was being silly!  It's not so bad.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
616 – 129.5
6/23 – 129.5
6/30 – 127.0
7/7 – 125.5
7/14 –  127
7/21 -126 – ok
7/28 – 127.5 – hmmmm  I think I need a new scale!
8/4 – 128.  – knew this was coming.
8/18 – 129  -same as last week
8/25 – 127 – this is better.
9/1 – 126.5 – whoot whoot!
9/8 – 126.5 – holding steady
10/6 – 127 – still holding steady
10/13 – 129 – wtf
10/20 – 126.5 – now that is more like it,

Goal : 120 lbs.  Modified to 125 lbs with better fitness/muscle tone

Habits check in:
Record everything in the food journal – 50% of the time
Eat sitting down at a table – 95% of the time
Snacking – 0% of days last week I did not snack.  I seem to be starving all the time.
Still serving meals in the kitchen but have been putting the veggies on the table.
Soft drinks – Did not indulge in any this past week.
Ice cream – only once this week and very portion controlled.  We put the ice cream in the basement freezer and it is amazing how lazy we are!

Fitness Activities:  raking leaves and planting things are about the extent of the physical activity.  We have been coping with a flu-like bug in the house for the last week and it is taking just about everything I have to meet my paid work obligations…. Really have to get to work on my fitness though.  My 15 year old son ran a 5K race on Thanksgiving weekend in under 22 minutes and I was really thinking about how I probably couldn’t do that now but I used to be able to do that kind of thing.  While we were waiting for his results we cheered on the rest of the runners. There were a number of older women also running.  Some were walking and others were running really slowly and I thought – I should probably start training because I could do that.  Everyone was cheering them on and no one was being mean.  DS was saying he would love to have me running again.  I have got to get me feet to the running shoe store and see what they can suggest for these crazy toes. 

Other notes:  some jeans that were a little too tight when I bought them last March need a belt or they fall down!  The fall and winter clothes are all looking way better than last year.  I am feeling pretty good about this place I am now. 

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1286 on: October 21, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
I've had a wild ride the last month with weight and eating and not really in a good way. First, I got sick and lost weight because I was on speed (cold meds) basically, for a week and ate less than 1K calories daily. Then I started using MyFitnessPal, which was going fine, until I hit some extreme work stress and then returned to eating less than 1K calories a day i.e. restricting my eating and started to feel a little out of control which is how I felt in college the first year when I ended up in counseling. So I lost 6.5 pounds in a month which is like 70% of my goal, but I'm not very happy about it.  Now I'm trying to focus on getting enough calories and eating healthy. I just splurged and bough the Tone It Up meal plan, and I'm gonna make all kinds of healthy snacks and meals this weekend. I still want to lose like 5 more pounds, but I want to do it over the next 2-3 months, not in a matter of weeks. Anyway, thank you for listening. I felt sort of scared this week remembering the way I used to feel and feeling like that again. I don't really feel like I can talk to anyone about it in real life. If I feel like that again, I think I'll go back to my therapist. I'm not going to take a chance.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1287 on: October 21, 2016, 11:13:13 PM »
Anyway, thank you for listening.

You're welcome :)

We're really here for you... and a bunch of us are big supporters of therapy as needed, too!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1288 on: October 22, 2016, 05:42:47 AM »
I've had a wild ride the last month with weight and eating and not really in a good way. First, I got sick and lost weight because I was on speed (cold meds) basically, for a week and ate less than 1K calories daily. Then I started using MyFitnessPal, which was going fine, until I hit some extreme work stress and then returned to eating less than 1K calories a day i.e. restricting my eating and started to feel a little out of control which is how I felt in college the first year when I ended up in counseling. So I lost 6.5 pounds in a month which is like 70% of my goal, but I'm not very happy about it.  Now I'm trying to focus on getting enough calories and eating healthy. I just splurged and bough the Tone It Up meal plan, and I'm gonna make all kinds of healthy snacks and meals this weekend. I still want to lose like 5 more pounds, but I want to do it over the next 2-3 months, not in a matter of weeks. Anyway, thank you for listening. I felt sort of scared this week remembering the way I used to feel and feeling like that again. I don't really feel like I can talk to anyone about it in real life. If I feel like that again, I think I'll go back to my therapist. I'm not going to take a chance.

Sounds scarey, but like you are making good choices. Strength to you.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1289 on: October 22, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
Anyway, thank you for listening.

You're welcome :)

We're really here for you... and a bunch of us are big supporters of therapy as needed, too!
+1  this is a safe place to record how it is.  Please do ask for what you need.  We want you to find it.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1290 on: October 22, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for the support. Re-reading my post, it sounds heavy and scary and I did feel not great for the last month, but I feel much better now. I made healthy pumpkin muffins and zoodles tonight and got a massage today, so am feeling much better and taking care of myself. Anyway, I love this thread (i of course love the whole forum). I find it inspiring but also very real.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1291 on: October 23, 2016, 05:27:02 AM »
Ok. Time for me to own up to a bit of a fail.

Since April(?) 6 months ago I was 75kg. I'm now up to 80kg. And it's not the good muscle type weight :(

Too many sugary snacks at work, too many sweet desserts and too many packets of chips.

Time to reverse this trend. Posting here to have sort sort of accountability.

Putting on weight sucks :(

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1292 on: October 23, 2016, 07:59:49 AM »
Great job saying it out loud, marty998!

What would be the second step that would help you get started?
A high-protein breakfast?
A walk in the leaves this morning?

:)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1293 on: October 24, 2016, 01:34:35 AM »
No change to the diet, apart from cutting out the crap. Said no to Celebrations and Toblerone today. That was...difficult!

I'm off to the gym for some time on the treadmill. Will report back in a couple of hours.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1294 on: October 24, 2016, 04:37:41 AM »
Ok cross trainer has given me very sore calves but I think it was worth it.

45 minutes, 8.8 kilometres, med-high resistance level not sure how accurate it is but it says I burned 514 calories.

I also walked the 1.25km there and stumbled and huffed the 1.25km back :)

Felt good, can feel the blood circulating after that.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1295 on: October 24, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »
No change to the diet, apart from cutting out the crap. Said no to Celebrations and Toblerone today. That was...difficult!

I'm off to the gym for some time on the treadmill. Will report back in a couple of hours.

I read Slim by Design to help me understand the mine field that snacks can be. The premise is that you can't have willpower 100% of the time so here are some strategies that remove the requirement for willpower.  It has really helped me establish some much better healthy habits although I am still struggling with the last couple of pounds.  I need to work on the fitness.

This weekend I worked outside on the garden to exhaustion and got a whole bunch of stuff ready for winter. I think that leaf raking is good cardio if I try and push myself.  Still have 6 cubic meters of cedar mulch on the driveway but am waiting until  all the leaves have fallen then I am going to cover them up with the mulch to achieve gardening beauty, healthy soil and fitness at the same time.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1296 on: October 27, 2016, 01:26:03 AM »
That's true. I'm certainly not motivated 100% of the time, and frequently find myself eating and drinking things I shouldn't be.

Yesterday I did some laps and swam 1km without stopping for the very first time! All progress is good progress.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1297 on: October 30, 2016, 04:44:01 AM »
Ok. Time for me to own up to a bit of a fail.

Since April(?) 6 months ago I was 75kg. I'm now up to 80kg. And it's not the good muscle type weight :(

Too many sugary snacks at work, too many sweet desserts and too many packets of chips.

Time to reverse this trend. Posting here to have sort sort of accountability.

Putting on weight sucks :(

1 week since the above and I've lost 2kg. Down to 78.

Now to lose the next 3kg

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1298 on: October 30, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »
Way to go, marty998!

Does it feel like a sustainable weight loss to you? i.e., Not a big jump down only to have it rebound later?

I'm definitely finding it more challenging to stick with optimal eating in the winter here! So far so good though. Not super on-target, but this summer's approaches definitely changed some habits and those are sticking really well :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1299 on: October 30, 2016, 02:36:04 PM »
Thank SF. I think it was mainly excess fluid loss.

1st week of "trying" is always the easiest getting rid of that. It's much harder to then start burning actual fat cells.

It's easier for me to stick to healthy eating away from work. At work there is always birthday cakes, chocolate 'rewards', sweets and chips.... and then of course Friday drinks. At home I'm pretty much snack free.

Winter is definitely harder but for a different reason. It's usually our busy season at work (July to September), so lots of sitting on arse at cubicle for very long days.

From October through to May I have time to be a bit more active by getting out of work at a reasonable hour.