Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459477 times)

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #850 on: June 14, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
@dogboyslim - It's totally normal to lose motivation, especially when the losses aren't as drastic as they were at the beginning. Keep going! Give yourself a bit of a break, but don't give up. We're all here, cheering you on.

Daily Check-in: I feel kinda weird about this, but I decided to set my calories to maintenance on MFP, and I think that it may be helping me in a psychological way. I know if I'm under that number - every day - I will lose weight. Maybe not at the rate I was before, but I will lose weight in the long-term. I was just having such a hard time looking at that "1200" everyday, knowing that if I had a square of chocolate that it would seriously affect what I could eat at dinner. I was feeling deprived on some level, I think.

As a result, I came in under my maintenance calories yesterday, and am on track to do the same today. I'm also feeling good about being more active - I went for a 25 minute walk yesterday and a 20 minute walk today. Yoga is tomorrow, more walking on Thursday, and yoga again on Friday. I still haven't made it to a circuit training class, but that is in the plan for next week.

On an unrelated note, there's a raccoon in our neighborhood, which is very odd for our urban high desert climate. It has been giving my cats a lot of heartburn, and in turn, I have been operating on much less sleep, on account of all the yowling going on at the back door. There is not enough coffee in the world ...

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #851 on: June 14, 2016, 09:34:16 PM »
@dogboyslim it's just a minor blip - just think...a week ago you were FOUR pounds heavier!

@microspice I totally hear u. Since switching to maintenance, I have been losing at a teeny tiny rate and overall feeling good about what I eat. 1200 calories is just SO strict! Nowadays, I have a piece of fruit/chickpeas for an afternoon snack and then some after-dinner munchies. Its a daily thing and its good. On 1200 cals, I could only fit that in occasionally. It is also nice to have a mental break - I was feeling constantly frustrated and that I was failing.

On the fashion front, I was in despair this evening as I rampaged through my closet. I had to 1) find something pretty to wear for tomorrow night (date with DH to a food event yay!) and 2) find formal business attire for my company's AGM on Thursday.

UGH...I wasn't happy with just about ANYthing. I finally found a sedate dark blue suit at the back of my closet. The skirt is one size too big but it will do.

After trying on multiple things for my date night, I tried out my skinny DD15's closet. I could actually fit in a couple of her sz Small tops!!!! Unfortunately my DD barely has anything other than tees and I didn't find what I wanted there. I was just about to give up when I finally found the right top to go with a skirt I have never worn. FINALLY :)

Long story short...I am shocked at how many of my clothes no longer look good. Even the ones I had been saving "for when I lose weight" look awful now. I really should prune my closet, do a count, and see what basics I need to add.

DH says I shouldn't shop until I lose the last 10 pounds...but I'm so frustrated. Maybe if I gave myself a tiny $20 budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #852 on: June 15, 2016, 06:27:20 AM »
Original weight: 116.3kg
Last week's weight: 116.3kg
Current weight: 116.1kg
Goal weight: 90kg

Late reply, but at least there's some movement in the right direction now :)

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #853 on: June 15, 2016, 09:48:36 AM »
Long story short...I am shocked at how many of my clothes no longer look good. Even the ones I had been saving "for when I lose weight" look awful now. I really should prune my closet, do a count, and see what basics I need to add.

DH says I shouldn't shop until I lose the last 10 pounds...but I'm so frustrated. Maybe if I gave myself a tiny $20 budget?

I struggled with this as well. I wouldn't wait until you lose the rest of the weight to get clothes that look good on you now. Just don't go replacing your entire wardrobe! You should have clothes that fit and make you feel good now, regardless of where you will eventually wind up.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #854 on: June 15, 2016, 09:48:54 AM »

I don't know what the right answer is here, but just chiming in to say I feel you. I still want to get down another 8-10 lbs but I need work clothes. My pants are hanging off me and look like pajamas. My husband laughs about it, and tells me it is a nice problem to have (and it is), but I still need to wear something that isn't jeans and t-shirts. I broke down and bought a shirt and 2 pairs of pants. I'm not really ready to get rid of all of my larger items, because life is unpredictable and I might need them at some point. And I don't really want to use shopping as a 'reward' for losing weight either. So I am trying to just buy what I desperately need as I go along.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #855 on: June 15, 2016, 04:39:10 PM »
This week probably is going to be rough.

Hardly biking at all to work this week because of during-day commitments. Plus it's 90+ out in the afternoon and biking a half hour in that and the humidity in order to shower/leave...

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #856 on: June 15, 2016, 11:10:39 PM »

I don't know what the right answer is here, but just chiming in to say I feel you. I still want to get down another 8-10 lbs but I need work clothes. My pants are hanging off me and look like pajamas. My husband laughs about it, and tells me it is a nice problem to have (and it is), but I still need to wear something that isn't jeans and t-shirts. I broke down and bought a shirt and 2 pairs of pants. I'm not really ready to get rid of all of my larger items, because life is unpredictable and I might need them at some point. And I don't really want to use shopping as a 'reward' for losing weight either. So I am trying to just buy what I desperately need as I go along.

At least I'm not the only one!! I think I will give myself a small $20 budget and buy a few essentials from thrift stores. Maybe I won't get rid of everything yet (like u said, not ready to give up my larger stuff) but I can at least bag up what doesn't fit me now and get it out of my closet!

Like @rockstache said - I want to feel good right now at my current size! Losing 20 lbs is pretty amazing and I want to take some time to celebrate :)

Stuff I need:
- dark blue dress skirt (summer weight)
- dark blue cotton/twill casual work pants
- 2-3 basic tops (at least 1 plain black)
- summer dress? (Not strictly necessary)
- dressy flip flops (crocs for work!)
- nude color work shoes
I can manage if I don't find the shoes within budget though. I recently bought a pair or comfy (Clarks) blue ballet flats to check off the "comfy shoes" box.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #857 on: June 15, 2016, 11:23:23 PM »
OMG - I just analyzed the measurements I took this morning. Since I started this in January, I have lost FIVE inches off my waist!! (Only 3 inches each off everywhere else). The last inch was over the past 2 months when I have been mostly in maintenance and only dropped about 3-4 lbs (so haven't bothered to measure). Wow - really didn't realize it was that much. Woot!!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:24:59 PM by elaine amj »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #858 on: June 16, 2016, 01:37:19 AM »
I lurk here. 

The body dysmorphia conversation is right on time for me.  I've lost 15-20 pounds since Christmas.  Strange feelings. 

I've hovered around 165-170 for years.  I finally got down to 147 consistently.  150 was my magic goal number, but now I am seeing that I still have a way to go to really be in a healthy range. Next I am aiming for 135.  I'm traveling in Europe this summer, so I am thinking 140 by fall and 135 when it's reasonable.  I've been moving slowly and I think that's been key to my success.

I've dropped several sizes.  I'm now wearing the very last of the too small clothes I accidentally bought years ago but couldn't get rid of.  I look ok, but I'm beginning to look and feel frumpy and out of style.  (maybe because I'm in Paris?)  I avoided buying new before this trip because I knew I was still losing and it would be much more fun to buy in Europe (even if it's more expensive).  A woman in my program was telling me about all the new clothing she bought, I commented that I wanted to do some shopping.  She said "Yes.  You always look... comfy..."  geez.  I think I look better than that!

So... I have no idea what I'm doing.  I decided prior to this trip that I would try to make healthy choices but that I would be happy with maintaining weight, not losing.  I want to enjoy wine and food while I'm here!  It's been easier to eat healthy than I anticipated, so I think I am still slowly losing, but I don't have a scales.  Perhaps I'll buy a measuring tape?    It might be good for my mental state to wait until I get back to the States. 

I've been intentional about walking a lot.  My average 9000 steps a day in the States has turned into an average of 19000 here.  I have 2 meals supplied here through my program.  I often take yogurt and apples as my starter or desert and eat the main plate for lunch then have the rest for dinner.  Or I head to the grocery and get humus and veggies or bread.

I've no key point for this post.  I'm just rambling along and figuring my head and my body out. 

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #859 on: June 16, 2016, 02:05:03 AM »
@PMG so glad you de-lurked!! Congrats on losing 20 pounds :) I completely empathize with the feeling of reaching goal weight and realizing you still have further to go.

What I think is fantastic is that you are in Europe, being supplied with food, wanting to enjoy the food and wine while there, AND YET YOU ARE STILL MAKING GOOD CHOICES AND MAINTAINING (with even a possible slight loss!) Can we say lifestyle change that sounds like it will stick?

I love it!

As for the clothes thing, I am realizing it just takes a while and its probably a mental thing. A close friend lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago. I remember for a looonngg time after, she was still gravitating towards frumpy clothes that were more what she used to wear. It was quite some time before she started shopping for clothes that fit her new slim body as a matter of course (which quickly meant her stylish teen DDs started raiding her closet!)

Conclusion to this rambling post? I need to go shopping for clothes :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #860 on: June 16, 2016, 08:46:12 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
9/16 – 129.5
Goal : 120 lbs.

Write down everything I eat in my food journal: not happening but I have to say I do not put anything in my mouth without thinking about how much volume/weight it would be if I were to write it down.
NO eating at the counter or out of the container or from the buffet:  got this one down
Sit down with food served on dishes in the dining room - no tv on:  yep
Serve food in the kitchen buffet style: yes
No cleaning off the kids plates: yes
No juice: yep
No pop:  really good this week – a big fat zero on highly sweet/nutritionally empty drinks
Only really good food:  yep and with yesterday’s CSA pickup the fridge is loaded.
2/3 of meal to be veg or fruit:  doing well
No snacking at the computer:  still doing the packed lunch when working off-site

I think I am doing really well and it has been fairly easy this week.  I can see changes in my figure and all my clothes are feeling better.  I have used my bike for a couple of errands and love the breeze through my hair.  I think I am consolidating the healthstyle and while the weight is still coming off, it is not taxing me too much.

I love clothes and have a closet full of lovely items that are starting to fit a bit better.  I did some buying a couple of years ago when my business started to improve and I was going to more meetings and more frequently so I couldn't keep wearing the same blazer.  Now I shop the sales at a store at our mall that has a reputation for older ladies wear.  They carry a lot of Canadian made clothing and in among things my mother would wear there are some really well made funky things that suit my style.  Best yet is that many of the older ladies don't like them so they are greatly reduced when I buy them. 

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #861 on: June 16, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
9/16 – 129.5
Goal : 120 lbs.

Great job breaking into the 120s! I can't wait to get there myself.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #862 on: June 16, 2016, 01:11:38 PM »
@Frugal Lizard That's so awesome!! I love that it doesn't feel like too much effort. Your new healthstyle is just becoming a part of who you are!

The last couple of days have been weird for me. Last night, I posted some pics of my date night with DH on FB. One was a full length photo of me. For the first time in the past 6 months of photos (incl other full length ones), my FB friends commented that I must have lost a lot of weight. This was followed up by today. My company hosted an industry event and I wore a pencil skirt. I'm a short hourglass so this highlighted my curves rather than hiding behind the golf shirts that have practically become my uniform. I saw a lot of people in my industry who I only see a few times a year. Just like FB, this is the first event in the past 6 months where I received multiple comments about my weight loss. Out of my 20 lb loss, I've only lost 5 lbs since March. It's so weird that it is only NOW - 3 months later that people are starting to comment. Did I cross some weird threshold or something?

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #863 on: June 16, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
@Frugal Lizard That's so awesome!! I love that it doesn't feel like too much effort. Your new healthstyle is just becoming a part of who you are!

The last couple of days have been weird for me. Last night, I posted some pics of my date night with DH on FB. One was a full length photo of me. For the first time in the past 6 months of photos (incl other full length ones), my FB friends commented that I must have lost a lot of weight. This was followed up by today. My company hosted an industry event and I wore a pencil skirt. I'm a short hourglass so this highlighted my curves rather than hiding behind the golf shirts that have practically become my uniform. I saw a lot of people in my industry who I only see a few times a year. Just like FB, this is the first event in the past 6 months where I received multiple comments about my weight loss. Out of my 20 lb loss, I've only lost 5 lbs since March. It's so weird that it is only NOW - 3 months later that people are starting to comment. Did I cross some weird threshold or something?

Don't over analyse it, just bask in the glory! 

Obviously, I'm way late to this party.  I have a bad habit of being active for a while, then disappearing for a while on the forums.  FWIW, I'm down about 10 lbs in the last 2 months just from biking two or three times a week.  It's starting to get hot and humid here, so I'm not sure how long my willpower will hold out.  Anyways, keep up the awesome!

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #864 on: June 16, 2016, 08:13:53 PM »
Congrats @elaine amj and @Frugal Lizard!

Sometimes it takes a while for things to gel, but I'm glad that your efforts are getting noticed and that things feel easier now.

I had a major epiphany a couple of days ago. I was looking through my food journal, which I keep pretty faithfully although I do not calorie track in it, and I went through the past two months and just highlighted all of the sweets/desserts/treats that I have eaten in the past two months. And I couldn't believe that almost every single day I had something sweet! I really have been indulging on an almost daily basis without really thinking that it was a special occasion or indulgence. No wonder where the extra calories were coming from. So now, for the last two days, I have been careful about not eating anything sweet and it doesn't feel like I'm depriving myself. I will allow myself a sweet treat about once a week or less, but I will make sure the treat is really really worth it- something decadent and delicious. Hopefully this will move me in the right direction.

Also, I have been rereading Foodist and am so glad of it. I am able to now slow down and absorb a lot more of the information. I am convinced that the minding the indulgences as well as eating more slowly and mindfully is the key to my being able to lose weight in the long term.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #865 on: June 17, 2016, 07:02:58 AM »
RuntoFIRE - I totally agree with you about the minding.  Those indulgences can just sneak up on you.  I really like the idea in Foodist about indulging if it is really good food.  I have no desire to eat crappy ice cream.  If it is going into my body (and potentially hanging around as a muffin top) it is going to be the tastiest, pure favoured full fat cream and high end sugar frozen treat going.

I refuse to eat sour cream with thickener or yogurt with fake flavour.  I don`t have to eat a large quantity of it because my frugal sensibility kicks in and says yikes that bite of cheese just cost a loonie!  But I have been coming to a good place of self awareness through this process that I can see myself not ever getting overweight again.  I don`t think I could have achieved this so efficiently without this forum.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #866 on: June 17, 2016, 07:23:28 AM »
Weigh-in day here. I appreciate everyone's posts, even if I don't get to respond to them as often as I would like!

It was not good. I tried to be mindful while traveling, and I still gained quite a bit. I'm up 2.6 pounds. I'm hoping some of that is water weight. We'll see what happens next week. There are plenty of healthy meals planned for this week, since we have a ton of leafy green vegetables, thanks to our CSA! I'm not going to beat myself up over the gain, but focus on cutting back on the things I've let creep back into my diet (hello sugar, hello alcohol!).

01/01/2016: 182.8
05/20/2016: 156.6
05/27/2016: 156.4
06/03/2016: 157.6
06/10/2016: 157.4
06/17/2016: 160.0 (+2.6!!)

Total loss: 22.8 lbs
Goal weight: 140

I started reading Foodist, but didn't get through it before my library loan ended. I am going to try to borrow it again.

Glad to hear of everyone's successes, and that you're all starting to recognize the results of all your hard work!

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #867 on: June 17, 2016, 07:49:26 AM »
4/2: 236
4/11: 233 (interpolated) (-3,-3)
4/18: 230 (-3,-6)
4/25: 227.5 (-2.5,-8.5)
5/2: 224.5 (-3, -11.5)
5/6: 221 (-3.5, -15)
5/9: 221 (0,-15)
5/16: 221 (0,-15)
5/20: 221 (0,-15)
5/23: 218.5 (-2.5,-17.5)
5/27: 215 (-3.5, -21)
5/31: 213 (-2, -23)
6/3: 213 (0,-23)
6/6: 214 (1,-22)
6/10: 210 (-4,-26)
6/13: 210 (0,-26)
6/17: 208.5 (-1.5, -27.5)

This was a frustrating week.  Exercise wise I did great.  Bootcamp on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and today.  Swimming Thursday and today, Cycling 50 miles and I'll be running today for 45 minutes.  Diet was a disaster.  Mrs. purchased more foods on my "I can't stop myself list."  Multiple fudge pops, a BAG of Doritos...A BAG!!!!  The good news is that the granola bars are now gone and she's pledged not to buy anymore.  The only thing that saved me this week was the intensity and duration of my exercise.  This weekend I'm not going to track food since its a double birthday and fathers day with guests coming over.  I still have an 8 mile run and a 40 mile bike ride, but I need to start at 5:00 so I don't interfere too much with family visiting time.  Monday sparks a new commitment to diet discipline.  I won't weigh in again until 6/24.  Thanks for all the support by the way.  Helps to know I'm not alone in this.  For those looking at my training volume and saying OMG! yes, I'm doing a half ironman mid July, hence all the 2/3 a day workouts.  It will taper off a bit pre event.  I'm in the worst of it for the next 3 weeks.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #868 on: June 17, 2016, 09:34:49 AM »
@RuntoFIRE @Frugal Lizard We know indulgences add calories - but somehow there's a difference between knowing and knowing, isn't there? I know exactly why I'm mostly in maintenance - my core food choices are fine - it's the regular treats that's preventing the loss. @RuntoFIRE Congrats on the epiphany! Your food journal has proved its worth!

@Geostache I'm sure most of that is just water weight. When I went on vacation (and ate everything in sight and more), I was up a few lbs, but most of that quickly dropped off the next week. You're home - and have lots of yummy CSA veggies to eat (after all, you can't waste it, right?).

Friday weigh-in

Jan 1 2016: 154 lbs....Jan 8 2016: 153.2 lbs....Jan 15 2016:149.2 lbs....Jan 22 2016: 148 lbs....Jan 29 2016....147.4 lbs
Feb 5 2016: 145.2 lbs..Feb 12 2016: 142.8 lbs..Feb 19 2016: 140.6 lbs...Feb 26 2016: 140.8 lbs
Mar 4 2016: 139 lbs....Mar 11 2016: 138 lbs.....Mar 18 2016: VACAY......Mar 25 2016: 136.8 lbs
Apr 1 2016: 137.8 lbs..Apr 8 2016: 136.8 lbs....Apr 15 2016: 135.8 lbs...Apr 22 2016: 134.8 lbs...April 30 2016: 133.6 lbs
May 6, 2016:133.6 lbs.May 13 2016:134.6 lbs...May 21 2016: 137.6 lbs..May 26 2016: 132.2 lbs
Jun 3, 2016: 133.6 lbs.June 10 2016:133.8 lbs..June 17 2016: 132.2 lbs

21.8 lbs lost
GOAL WEIGHT: 130 lbs (Stretch Goal 120 lbs)

WOOT! This was a GOOD week!

I admit I'm shocked. I've been eating out nearly every day and fully expected to not like the scale today. Saturday - lunch at Tim Hortons, Sunday - asian food at a local festival, Wednesday - ate and ate and ate at a food festival (ok - the scale did bump up a bit after this lol), Thursday - lunch buffet at a work event. How is it possible that I LOST weight?

Everyone, its Eat Your Vegetables Day - what veggies are you going to eat today?
I made a salad for lunch using the lettuce we got gifted yesterday and am thinking of a tofu basil stirfry tonight.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:48:21 AM by elaine amj »

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #869 on: June 17, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
@Elaine AMJ: Woot! Grats on the weight loss. Your healthy habits are really paying off!

Today's "eat your vegetables" day will consist of a kohlrabi and rice noodle salad:

http://www.loveandlemons.com/kohlrabi-noodle-salad/

Our CSA score this week consisted of kohlrabi, swiss chard, napa cabbage, lettuce, and kale. I still have mustard greens from last week to use up, too! Plenty of leafies to eat between now and next Wednesday.

MomCents

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #870 on: June 17, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
You all are inspiring!  Just reading your posts has helped remind me to stick with my goal of late of trying to lose a few pounds and get into better shape.  For me, I know what I need to do, and what usually works:  eat more vegetables, exercise more, don't eat late at night, and eat dinner relatively early.  My biggest challenge is preparing healthy meals for our family with the goal of "growing" the kids and not growing me.  Maybe a good solution is to throw a big salad, a serving of broccoli, or an apple alongside whatever we make for me to eat that alongside the rest of the food.  That way I'd eat less of the not-so-good for your waistline stuff like grilled cheese and french toast, but the kids with their little growing bodies could fill up on them.  Does anyone have any good techniques for dealing with the conundrum of trying to lose weight while trying to keep up with feeding growing and active kids?  Anyway, I'm inspired by everyone's posts here.  Thanks for sharing your progress.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #871 on: June 17, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
@MomCents I have 2 active teens who are picky plus a DH with health issues who is struggling to gain weight (but wants to eat "clean" as much as possible). It's interesting - I know others have found good ways - but I have become a short order cook. I make almost completely separate meals for my kids, then I make veggie-based meals for my DH and I (I give him a double portion).

So if I make grilled cheese for my kids for lunch on Sunday, I'll make a filled-to-the-brim omelette with lots of oil for DH and then a plainer, veggie omelette for myself. Occasionally we cross a little - tonight is a thai basil stirfry for DH and I and the kids will get a chicken basil stirfry. I'll cook theirs first, then pick out all the chicken & carrots to serve them - leaving the basil. Then I'll cook for DH and I with the basil in the pan. If I have something like a rotiserrie chicken, that's easier. They get their portion, I'll take a tiny bit of meat (I try to keep it between 60-100 grams) and add it to a salad or something for me (in prep time - this is still practically a separate meal though).

Hopefully soon I'll get in the headspace of figuring out how to get my kids to eat more stuff that I can eat. I finally decided I needed the mental energy to concentrate on DH and I and it was "Easier" to just be a short-order cook. I rarely eat more than a few nibbles or a small portion of almost anything I serve my kids. 

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: June 18, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »
Weigh-in day, yet again:

3/12: 162.6
3/19: 161.8
3/26: 159.6
4/2: 160.2
4/9: 158.4
4/16: 158.4
4/23: 158.4
4/30: 157.6
5/7: 157.4
5/14: 158.4
5/21: 157.2
5/28: 159.4
6/4: 157.8
6/11: 158.0
6/18: 156.2

Some success at last! I haven't been this weight in probably a year now. I've been trying new supplements to help with some health issues, and they seem to be working, so I'm able to exercise and focus more. Fingers crossed that those supplements keep working.

@elaine amj, you are so close to your goal! Well done. :)

I'm going to try to get my hands on a copy of Foodist and see what all the fuss is about. My local library has copies, but for some reason, I'm having trouble placing a hold on them. I'll stop by the library later.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #873 on: June 18, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »
I have always been a little heavy (130lbs and 5'2"), but active and healthy and comfortable with my body.  But I am starting to put on weight, particularly around my abdomen and I have lost that feeling of being comfortable in my body.  I no longer feel like heading out for a run.  Which of course will spiral into a health disaster.  My shape is changing too.  I see my mothers body in the mirror and I am not ready for that!

I am encouraged to see all the wonderful successes on this thread.  Well done. 

Our scale is broken but I  estimate I am 140lbs.  Goal is a strong, healthy 125lbs. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #874 on: June 18, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
Welcome Blissful Biker
way to go Redmond Stash.
Enjoy the weekend all!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #875 on: June 18, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »
I wore a dress today and walked more than ten miles with no chub rub and chafing. 

Pardon me if that's TMI.  Side benefit of losing weight and getting in shape.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #876 on: June 18, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »
No weigh in today because my wife and are babysitting some friends kids -they have four of them! Makes me realize how important it is to be in shape.... kids take a lot out of you haha!

Will check in tomorrow a day late. Might be interesting :-)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #877 on: June 18, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »
@RedmondStash So excited for you!!! It's been a lengthy plateau.

@Blissful Biker Welcome! Good for you for catching yourself before you got too far.

@PMG that is an awesome accomplishment!! I haven't dared to experiment yet - I am pretty sure I will still get chub rub. In the meantime, still wearing bike shorts under my dresses/skirts!

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #878 on: June 19, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
I got the scale working again, and as feared 140.5 lbs (on a 5'2" frame).  I haven't been this heavy since my last pregnancy 11 years ago.  Egad.  Time to make some changes.  I saw the book Foodist reference in these threads and looked it up.  I like the premise and am going to borrow it from the library.  Also considering giving up alcohol permanently .  It is a habit that is not serving me well. 

MomCents

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #879 on: June 19, 2016, 10:28:02 AM »
@elaine amj  Thanks for your input!  Sounds like you have a lot to juggle with feeding your family.  Glad to hear others struggle with differing dietary needs in the family, too.  Good job persisting with the weight loss.

@Blissful Biker  Good for you!  When I gave up alcohol during my pregnancies, a habit I loved was taking up drinking tea instead - always in a teacup or mug I loved - whenever I felt like it.  And on those special evening occasions out I'd have a cranberry juice and soda water or sprite on ice - served in a beautiful glass with a thin straw.  Totally made me feel like I was livin' the good live w/o alcohol.   

While I'm here and thinking of food, I'll share a lentil soup recipe that I love.  It's fully MMM-worthy in my mind:  cheap, healthy, easy and good:  It's a year-round staple in our house and probably costs about $2 total to feed the four of us a healthy and filling dinner.  I use about 4 cups home-made veggie stock (I have a great recipe for that too if anyone's interested) and 6 cups water, or just 10 cups water and a tsp of salt if I don't have any stock.  NO NEED FOR the 11 cups chicken stock!  And it's extra great with a half-bag of fresh spinach or other fresh greens thrown in at the end - cooked just enough to turn bright green.  My kids prefer it without the spinach, but I like it with, and the soup is much prettier with the greens in it as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/lentil-soup-recipe.html

Any other good favorite MMM-worthy recipes for dinner staples?  Or maybe recipes are better discussed in another thread....

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:41:59 AM by MomCents »

crispy

« Reply #880 on: June 19, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
6/4 - 150
6/11 - 149.8
6/18 - 150.4

Sigh...I hate seeing the scale going in the wrong directyion, but I am keeping focused. I have upped my exercise quite a bit and feel like I am making progress even if it isn't reflected on the scale yet.  I am still chugging along!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #881 on: June 19, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »
@Blissful Biker I like some alcoholic drinks well enough. I enjoy a glass of wine or something sweet once in a while. But recently I realized that I like juices/pop just as much, if not more. And alcohol adds extra calories and if I drink too much (I'm a cheap drunk), I detest the side effects. All in all, I rarely drink my calories these days. And hardly any alcohol. Mostly just water. And if I get the chance, Sparkling water or very watered down juice is a big treat.

@MomCents love the recipe! I bought some lentils recently but been too intimidated to try it. Will give it a shot!

Our fave here is Zoodles Lo Mein. http://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-zoodle-lo-mein-for-two/

MomCents

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #882 on: June 19, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
@elaine amj Thanks for the zoodles recipe!  It looks great.  What a perfect thing to do with zucchinis in the summer!

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #883 on: June 19, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
Hi all,

Glad to see the successes of the weigh ins, and to those that didn't see a loss this week, don't despair. Keep analyzing what you can do better and don't give up. I think I am the poster child here as my weight loss has been so slow.

I had a pretty eventful weekend with a really surprising scale read. I went on a boat on Saturday and had a bit too much to drink. I also couldn't resist a mini chocolate cupcake and some pringles, but I did stop myself at one a bite of a birthday cake. I am totally with you @FrugalLizard- if I can't have the most delicious treat then it's not worth having one at all. I put down the cake as it wasn't that good, but unfortunately, I had already indulged (it's hard to catch yourself in the moment and analyze whether the indulgence you're making is worth it!) As predicted, I was up on a scale after that day due to alcohol/water weight/etc. However, the following day, I went rock climbing in pretty brutal summer heat- it was not the smartest idea looking back on it, but it was a lot of cardio and I ate well and was down 4 pounds on the scale today! Basically, I think I got rid of all of the water weight I had been carrying since my trip back to the states. I was also good about not indulging as there was really no reason to do so.

Looking forward to some home cooking this week with no craziness. I am also excited to check out my community pool as it's getting too hot to run outside here.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #884 on: June 20, 2016, 04:58:25 AM »
Well today was my weigh in and basically am down 45#'s 6 for the month and 15 to go. Next weight in will be in a month. Should be interesting as I leave for 11 days for family vacation but I am pretty dialed in.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #885 on: June 20, 2016, 05:55:46 AM »
@RuntoFIRE That must have been SO awesome to see the 4 lb drop! Woohoo to getting rid of that extra water weight!!

@soccerluvof4 Congrats!!! You've been on quite a journey and its been paying off!

As for me, gained a lb over the weekend :( Eating out too much *sigh*

DH and I have been binging on date nights - which has meant a lot more eating out than usual. I made us yummy salads for dinner last night...then we went out for a concert (work contact gave me free tix). At 10pm, DH was munchy. Still trying to get him to eat enough so we went to a Vietnamese joint. Ate more than I should - a soursop milkshake (the Vietnamese make theirs with condensed milk and they are DELISH!) and a quarter of his noodle dish definitely tipped me over the edge.

This week's focus - cut back on the eating out!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #886 on: June 20, 2016, 06:46:28 AM »
5/1 - 188
5/7 - ??
5/14 - ??
5/21 - 186.2
5/28 - 185.8 (interpolated)
6/4 - 185.6
6/11 - 181.8
6/20 - 183.4

Well I guess it's still lower than two weeks ago.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #887 on: June 20, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »
@Elaine AMJ: I hear you on the eating out. Our back-and-forth travel schedules have meant that meal planning has gone out the window. The greens are really piling up in the refrigerator! DH wanted to go to BBQ for Dad's day, and I really couldn't deny him. I ate some really delicious food, but tried not to eat until I was stuffed. Then it was froyo for dessert. Also, we had family visiting this weekend, and there was a lunch out on Saturday and a cookout Saturday night. I only ate half my lunch, but still overindulged in general.

MIL comes for a 3 week stay this Wednesday, and DH leaves for 15 day work travel on Saturday. MIL is here to help out with the kids and around the house while DH is away. Hopefully I can get our dining out habit under control while DH is gone!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #888 on: June 20, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »
@geostache Did you say fro-yo? My latest, most favorite obsession?! Mmmmmm...I just discovered them last week. Never bothered to try it before because I like hand-scooped and am not a big fan of softserve. I'm lucky there are no froyo places near where I work (only the most delicious handcrafted small batch creamy ice cream ever).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #889 on: June 20, 2016, 08:07:19 AM »
I survived without too much damage to the scale numbers by working like a dog in this crazy heat.  I pushed a garbage can of water to my allotment garden and then weeded the whole thing.  I watered all my plants in my home garden (using mostly a watering can from rain barrel water.  I washed the walls and ceiling in the kitchen to prepare for painting and then painted with DH.  The whole family went to help spread mulch in our park to help the plantings we have planted over the last five years for 90 minutes in unbelievable heat.  We also went to see an old friend and went to a Malaysian restaurant and a fair and I had a root beer (we did walk for 2 hours)  We cleared some stuff from her house and did the weekend clean of our house.  Last night at Father`s day bbq I ate mostly vegetables because the roasted cauliflower, grilled asparagus, fennel and dill salad and the pickled beet salad were so damn tasty but there was ice cream for dessert and I wanted some.  I am holding at 130 this morning so hopefully with no more sweet drinks this week I can continue on my slow but steady descent to my number - 120 pounds.  I am so close to halfway and I was hoping to get there before this Thanksgiving.  So I still feel like it is realistic without a huge sacrifice to me.

So happy to hear from many of you keeping accountable to yourselves.  I find that each of your posts makes me cheer for you and strengthens my resolve to keep up, or catch up or cheer you on to keep trying.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #890 on: June 20, 2016, 08:42:10 AM »
@geostache Did you say fro-yo? My latest, most favorite obsession?! Mmmmmm...I just discovered them last week. Never bothered to try it before because I like hand-scooped and am not a big fan of softserve. I'm lucky there are no froyo places near where I work (only the most delicious handcrafted small batch creamy ice cream ever).

Oh, I said it! It's an all-too-short walk from most of the restaurants we frequent. It's summer, and it's hot, and it's way too tempting of a walk.

@Frugal Lizard: You're making slow and steady progress! Doing all that work is helping, I'm sure. Making small changes that you can stick with is important and what it's all about.

@RuntoFIRE: Any suggestions for summer cooking? I usually love cooking, but am finding with the hot weather and the late sunsets, I'm more interested in playing outside with the kiddos. The idea of spending 45 minutes to an hour in the kitchen at night isn't as appealing as it is in the winter. And unfortunately, by the time the kids fall asleep, it's 9:30 pm, and I don't want to start cooking then, either!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #891 on: June 20, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
My week started out pretty good and determined... then I made more rhubarb oatmeal cookies. I have been so hungry for a little over a week. Not hungry like normal hunger, it's certainly psychological. And it's so strong there is a real sense of panic that comes with it. (While heating up soup on Saturday I devoured a banana because I just couldn't wait one more minute for the soup to heat up in the microwave.) But eating something often just seems to make it worse. I haven't eaten to the point where I'm stuffed and bloated, but I'm starting to wonder if I just don't have the ability to feel stuffed and bloated at the moment. I started to wonder if something new is wrong and it occurred to me that it may be a side effect of the medication I'm on. Not sure what to do about that.

The good news is that I finally started an exercise program last night. Just a simple beginner one since I have lost sooooo much strength over the last 2 years, but it's a start. Worked up a sweat, I can feel it in my legs this morning, and looking forward to getting back in shape. :)

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
May 23 weight 149.4 (extrapolated)
May 30 weight 149.6
June 6 weight 148.4
June 13 weight 150.4
June 20 weight 151.0
Goal weight: 130
[/quote]

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #892 on: June 20, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
Welcome to all the newcomers - you've made a great decision to join in on this thread.

Well, a hiccup in the road: I came down with whatever upper respiratory thing my kiddo had, and was out of commission Friday thru today. So no workouts. But, my eating was under maintenance, even though I was ravenous from hormones. I also learned that just because four glasses of Chardonnay will fit in your daily calories (100 cals for 5 ounces!), it doesn't mean you should HAVE four glasses of said Chardonnay. Oy.

I will report with a weigh-in tomorrow. I don't know that I was keeping a regular schedule on here before, but maybe Tuesday is a good day. The weekend slip-ups have worn off and it gives something to shoot for the rest of the week.

@Cookie78 - Lots of meds can cause an increase in appetite. Not sure what to suggest, other than drink LOTS of water and eat LOTS of fresh veggies to help curb the hunger. And if all else fails, sleep. :-)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #893 on: June 20, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »

@Cookie78 - Lots of meds can cause an increase in appetite. Not sure what to suggest, other than drink LOTS of water and eat LOTS of fresh veggies to help curb the hunger. And if all else fails, sleep. :-)

I have been drinking an amazing amount of water, but I haven't been eating as many veggies as usual. Looking forward to my garden starting to produce so I can snack on fresh veggies out of habit. Until then that's something I can certainly try to do better.

Strangely since early this morning I haven't been feeling hungry much at all. Hopefully the last week or so was an anomaly. If not I may have to start tracking hunger to see if I can figure out what's going on and come up with a plan of attack.

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #894 on: June 20, 2016, 05:50:32 PM »
@RuntoFIRE: Any suggestions for summer cooking? I usually love cooking, but am finding with the hot weather and the late sunsets, I'm more interested in playing outside with the kiddos. The idea of spending 45 minutes to an hour in the kitchen at night isn't as appealing as it is in the winter. And unfortunately, by the time the kids fall asleep, it's 9:30 pm, and I don't want to start cooking then, either!

@Geostache - I was super proud of what I made for dinner yesterday- basically a salad with tomatoes and olives, with black beans added in and a fried egg on top. On the side, I cut up a sweet potato, drizzled it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary from the garden, and grilled it in the microwave to make "french fries." It was delicious and I just may make the same thing tonight.

Happy to report that in the past week, I have had one one slip up with sweets- that day on the boat - otherwise, have been staying sweets free!

Oh, and my scale went back up after Sunday's crazy effort, but I was expecting it to :( Slow and steady does it, I guess.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #895 on: June 21, 2016, 07:41:16 AM »
Original weight: 116.3kg
Last week's weight: 116.1kg
Current weight: 115.8kg
Goal weight: 90kg

Slow and steady I guess. Doesn't help that the weather has been shit so I've been riding less.

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #896 on: June 21, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »

Weight Progress:
- 1/10: 133 pounds
- 2/22: 128 pounds
- 3/25: 123.6 pounds
- 4/28: 124.4 pounds
- 5/17: 123 pounds
- 5/26: 125.6 pounds
- 6/6: 128.8 pounds
- 6/21: 125.6 pounds

Goal Weight: 110 pounds

So I'm back to the weight I was before I left for my girls' trip - mostly water weight, I think. That said, we have a family trip coming up in two weeks, and I really don't want to ride that roller coaster again. It should be somewhat easier - I have far more self-control around my husband and mother-in-law than I do with my girlfriends. Peer pressure, I guess. Plus, I try to share meals out with my toddler to save money and prevent food waste, so I should be eating a bit less in that case.

I'm trying to be patient, but it's difficult sometimes. Oddly, since changing my MFP calorie goal to maintenance levels (1490), I've been logging within 50 calories of 1200 almost every day. So maybe - in addition to the the exercise I'm now doing - that will cause a shift, or create one of those loss whooshes I hear so much about - I've never had one!

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #897 on: June 21, 2016, 07:27:58 PM »
@MicroSpice - I feel you, I really feel you. But don't give up. As long as you don't give up you have won in the long term, even if it doesn't look like it in the short term. That's the only way I stay sane these days.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: June 22, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »
You know log rollers? They stand on top of a log in the water, and they run, their feet spinning the log, and as long as they keep running and don't slip, they stay on top of the log?

That's what this week feels like. I'm doing well, it's getting easier to say no to dessert after dinner, I'm eschewing the chips and candy at work. It feels good.

But I've been here before, and I know a slip is coming eventually. I'm enjoying this while it lasts, but I'm realistic about how this journey has lots of ups and downs, and not all of them are fully under my control.

Please keep posting, all, victories and difficulties alike. It helps to other people's journeys, especially when the slipping starts. You folks are quite inspiring.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #899 on: June 22, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »
I love clothes and have a closet full of lovely items that are starting to fit a bit better.  I did some buying a couple of years ago when my business started to improve and I was going to more meetings and more frequently so I couldn't keep wearing the same blazer.  Now I shop the sales at a store at our mall that has a reputation for older ladies wear.  They carry a lot of Canadian made clothing and in among things my mother would wear there are some really well made funky things that suit my style.  Best yet is that many of the older ladies don't like them so they are greatly reduced when I buy them.

Forgot to ask - which store is this? I usually shop in thrift stores but once in a while will buy something new. My favourite has been Smart Set for officewear that actually is cut for curves. Going thrift store shopping this weekend and will be hunting for Ann Taylor's Loft line!

@Cookie78 Could last week have been that time of the month? I find I get hit with hunger pangs and feel bloated about 1-2 weeks before. Apparently, it's pretty common.

@Microspice: Congrats on your 4 lb whoosh!! (I'd say that counts!) Given that you had so little to lose, I doubt you'll get a whoosh. In the meantime, slow and steady. I'm so glad that the mental thought of switching to maintenance has been helping you so much. Remember, we've been at this for months now so it is highly likely you were in need of a mental break. 1200 cals is tight! And just think - if you hadn't done anything for the past 6 months, you'd still be at 133 lbs...if not more! So it's been a very productive time, even if it feels like you haven't gotten far in the last little while.

@RedmondStash keep on spinning that log!! And don't stress about the slips....they're just blips on the road. In the meantime, enjoy the current good feelings. It's so nice when it feels easy!

As for me, I was super excited this morning. I finally hit a new low of 131.8 lbs (previous low that I hit a month ago was 122.2 lbs). It made me consider going back to logging or active weight loss, but to be honest, I'm LIKING maintenance and I've been surprisingly successful at it. I thought I would slowly creep upwards but in the larger picture, my weight has crept downwards since switching to maintenance 3 weeks ago. It's rather nice not weighing all my food and logging it. This also makes me more confident that I can sustain this for the rest of my life.