Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459545 times)

alleykat

• Bristles
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #750 on: June 01, 2016, 11:29:06 AM »
I haven't posted in awhile.  I haven't been doing too good, unfortunately. Temptation has been kicking my butt.   But, it is a brand new month and my focus will be on my health.  I have been debating on whether to join a gym or not.  I have so much equipment at home I am not using but I am considering taking up swimming. I will have to give it some thought. My intentions are always stellar, but my actions less so and money wasted.

I usually weigh myself on Sunday but haven't done that in awhile so since it is the start of a new month, I thought I would do it this morning. I don't think I wanted to know, lol, but I stayed at 153 and I am completely surprised. I thought for sure I gained. So, that was good. 

Last night, I did pretty good with eating, it wasn't ideal but it was better than what I have been doing.  Slowly, I will start to turn this around.

This morning I did have a bagel with butter, however, lunch was a bowl of grapes and a piece of cheese.  So far, so good.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #751 on: June 01, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »
Inexplicably, the scale showed a drop of 1.6 pounds this morning.  I don't usually see fluctuations that big.  I'm taking this as a sign that my body wants to release some weight; all I have to do now is eat like *I* want to do the same.  So far so good!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #752 on: June 01, 2016, 03:21:29 PM »
Good to see how people did over the long holiday. I don't know where my number is as I weigh in once a month at the most but feel pretty much the same. Got right back to it yesterday and today but its been a little difficult with this neck thing I have had but never the less I don,t leave till I burn as many calories. Doctors appointment June 20th will probably my next weigh in unless I get sooooo tempted I cant wait, but I want to.

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #753 on: June 01, 2016, 07:53:59 PM »
Hi all,

I am back from my travels and leaving today for the US. Will be in New York and surrounding areas for 10 days. I'm super excited to go back to the States even if not truly back home (Bay Area).

My DH has already been there for a week already to attend a wedding and I have been doing well on my own. In Vietnam, I stuck to my workout schedule and ate well but had pho twice (always makes me bloated) and then overate on Tuesday. I weighed myself on the hotel scale and showed really nice numbers (before the pho), but came home and I was at 171.6! I was feeling super bloated, but that is 4 pounds up from the 166.9 I was when I left 3 days before. Down to 170.3 today but still, damn.

Overall though, I am feeling stronger and fitter so I see the weight as a temporary blip. It has been harder to control cravings after that one day of overeating- it's amazing how one little day (or even meal) throws everything off. Fighting to get back to my healthy eating mind space and really paying attention to when I am full when I eat.

Good luck everyone!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #754 on: June 01, 2016, 08:18:44 PM »
Amazing how just a little momentum makes you so much more pumped for this.

The other morning I weighed 182.4 prior to showering (jumped to 183.4 afterwards, humidity got to the scale I think) but that's close to 6 lower than when I started.

Tonight my wife and I went for a long walk and I finally hit 10,000 steps for the first time in far too long. And had two delightful salads today.

Momentum in the right direction! I can totally drop below 180. And then 170. And then 160.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #755 on: June 01, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »
I'm at an impasse right now. Today was full of ups and downs.

Last night I was reading about the travails of this lady who is a perpetual yo-yo dieter. She does great for 3-4 months, then just loses steam and gains it all back.

I am wondering if I am dealing with some diet fatigue. When I started, it felt like something had clicked inside me. That click is now missing. I do OK, then have some bad choices - the pendulum keeps swinging back and forth and I am just fed up.

Those of u who have been here since January - what do u think of this 3-4 month diet fatigue theory?

I don't know if I will change my mind tomorrow - but I think I will try maintenance and see if I can stay at this weight.

It just sucks that I am within a few pounds of goal! Plus it would be so amazing to get past goal and shoot for my stretch goal of another 12+ pounds!! And do it in the summer :)

Still thinking out loud - not sure where I will end up with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #756 on: June 01, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »
Those of u who have been here since January - what do u think of this 3-4 month diet fatigue theory?

@elaine amj -- I don't know about the 3-4 month thing, but I can totally buy the idea of diet fatigue on a number of different levels. Many years back I set a goal to lose 30 pounds. I lost 15 pounds over about 6 months and then hit a plateau, which I was actually okay with, because I was feeling patient. I kept it off for about 4-5 years. But then most of that 15 pounds crept back on in the past year and a half, and I felt totally helpless to stop it.

Recently, as you said, something clicked, and I started doing well. But I don't feel that "click" anymore. I feel driven by cravings. What used to feel easy -- being hungry and making smart food choices -- now seems almost intolerable. I can barely bring myself to log my food, though at least I am sticking to that. I know that for me, that's the first important step, so I figure if I cling to that, eventually I'll get my feet back under me again.

That's why I keep talking about what a hard road this is, what a steep climb. I don't mean to discourage anyone; quite the opposite, I mean to encourage us all by reminding us that we are doing difficult work, so when we sometimes don't meet our short-term goals, it's not a failure or lack of character, but just exhaustion or occasionally losing a hard-fought battle. It's so easy to get down on yourself when you can see yourself stuff your face with something while another part of your mind thinks in despair, "Why am I doing this?"

But our bodies want to hold onto that fat. It's stored energy, and they see it as treasure. When we take it away from them, they want it back, and they mount more and more desperate campaigns to regain what they lost. So we have to be devious and clever and careful as we try to take away more of that treasure, and as we try not to give in to the cravings that will lead to it coming back.

My 2 cents.

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #757 on: June 02, 2016, 12:22:28 AM »
@elaine amj- I recommend that you read the Foodist by Darya Rose. It's been really helpful for me to get out of that diet mentality and I think it may help you in dealing with the fatigue

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #758 on: June 02, 2016, 01:01:01 AM »
I'm moved by what all of you are doing. Here is my story so far.

I started seriously  on my weight loss efforts in August last year after a not so good blood work (higher cholesterol and primarily triglyceride levels). First I restricted calories severely, about 1200-1300 calories a day. It wasn't especially a low carb diet in terms of ratios but it was in total a low caloric diet which effectively meant low carbs. Plus some level of physical activity -- jogging about 30 minutes on weekdays and about 1 hour on weekends. As you can see it led to weight loss. But this was at a price -- lots of cravings and not feeling so well as I was always hungry.  I was always exhausted.

Date      Weight (lbs)
7/26/2015           145
11/6/2015           134
1/14/2016           128
4/11/2016           128
5/29/2016           124

The initial weight loss was quite rapid -- 15+ pounds in about 5-6 months. But then it plateaued for the next three. Nothing I did was budging the scale. I finally decided to read more about nutrition. This level of caloric restriction is not sustainable. I decided to switch to increase my caloric intake to a slightly higher total calorie as well as a higher carb diet. Something clicked. I started to have more energy to exercise and mentally I felt better. No longer was I starving. My diet is almost 99% plant based at this point. Lots of fruits (3-4 servings a day), veggies (at least 3-4 servings), beans/lentils/legumes (a few servings), other proteins such as tofu and quinoa, and starches such as oats, rice (both white and brown), bread (whole grain), potatoes (regular as well as sweet potatoes). Fat is minimized thoroughly, some olive oil (less than 1 tbsp), some nuts (plain as well as nut milk). I have almost completely cut out all dairy such as milk and eggs.

Here is what I ate today:
Breakfast -- 1 cup green tea, rolled oat based cereal with 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup frozen berries (blue/rasp/black)
Morning snack -- Apple + 10 blue corn chips.
Lunch -- Salad bar from Natural food restaurant with greens, shredded beets and carrots, quinoa salad, kidney beans, green beans
Afternoon smoothie (make at home and take to work) -- banana, papaya, berries, flax seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, water, ice
Dinner -- whole wheat  pasta with a little bit of olive oil, lots of garlic, oven roasted broccoli and asparagus.

My exercise amount and intensity has increased. The weight seems to be trending down once again. I've lost another 4 lbs in the last couple months. I certainly feel a lot better with how I look. Clothes fit better. I still have a small amount of weight around the mid section but that will probably be the last to come off.

Last week I was away on a work related trip -- business conference. So many people who were seeing me after a long gap commented on how much better I looked. It was so good to hear that. Normally such trips have been the bane of my mid section. I usually eat badly and can easily put on more than a few pounds. But this time was different. The very first night I arrived, I shopped and got some oat cereal, bananas, almond milk and tea to stock up for breakfasts and avoid the fatty breakfasts at the hotel restaurants. Also, I'd try to eat healthy at lunches, dinners and coffee breaks. Always go for the fruits and avoid the cookies and pastries. Plus, every single day I exercised for at least 30 minutes -- either at the hotel gym or went outside for a jog.

The key part seems to me is that I feel that this is a sustainable approach in the long term. My approach to food has changed. I no longer look on food as an enemy to be kept at a distance. I'm eating more (maybe 1800-2000 calories) but have a small level of caloric deficit -- around 2-300 calories.  The best part is that I have stopped counting calories. I eat till I'm full. I'm no longer fatigued.

I want to wish everyone success on this journey. Keep at it. You are worth it.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #759 on: June 02, 2016, 06:18:47 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 - 132
Goal : 120 lbs.

Write down everything I eat in my food journal: abandoned at the moment
NO eating at the counter or out of the container or from the buffet:  mostly
Sit down with food served on dishes in the dining room - no tv on:  mostly
Serve food in the kitchen buffet style: yes
No cleaning off the kids plates: yes
No juice: getting back under control
No pop:  getting back under control
Only really good food:  almost
2/3 of meal to be veg or fruit:  not doing so well at this
No snacking at the computer:  yes and no snacking in front of the tv

Feeling really good about this this week.  Looking around at what people look like when I am riding public transit and I am way less heavy than most of them. This is sad because I am not a healthy weight. I am not looking at food being served and thinking- I want some of that – but rather – that won’t taste as good as the calories it would be. In fact I am looking at everything and asking if it will be tasty.  The tastiest things I have eaten this week have been asparagus, mango and guacamole.  One night this past week I just wanted to go out but DH didn’t so I went into the kitchen and made a tomato and avocado salad, then DH asked if we had pickled beets, so I made a beet, sweet onion and feta salad and I have greens from my garden so went from not cooking to making three salads and then we had left over sausage.  We ate outside and it was super tasty and very quick.  I think that I have turned a corner about the way that I am fundamentally approaching food. 

Elaine amj - second the motion about reading the Foodist.  One section talks about habits.  If you could change your place that you start from when having a craving so that you don't end up in front of the fridge, that would be good.  In fact - everyone should read Foodist and the other books that she references.  I am going to re-read Slim by Design once our kitchen is put back together to get it set up for helping me make better food choices.

Rpr - I think you are onto something. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:39:56 AM by Frugal Lizard »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #760 on: June 02, 2016, 07:40:58 AM »
I am LOVING the stories. Still not sure what I am going to do. It felt rather like relief when I made a plan last night to switch to maintenance. It might be a good trial run to see if I can actually keep these 20 pounds off. A bit frustrating to be so close to goal and not reach it - but I have lost 20 POUNDS and I WILL celebrate that!

I'm going to look into Foodist :) I think what's annoying me is that I haven't hit a plateau (although that sounds like a nice excuse). Frankly, looking at my CICO numbers, its obvious why I am not still losing. I am just eating too much. I liked what I was doing before. Like @RedmondStash, it felt easy. I wasn't hungry, I felt awesome about my food choices, and I know my body was getting better nutrition than ever before. It doesn't feel easy anymore :(

My bike training has upped the calories burned considerably....but at the same time, I have to snack while biking (for the energy) so a lot of that calorie burn is used up in a bike ride. e.g. I went on an 80 min bike ride at a decent pace (abt 15mph). I count 75% of those calories - so about 606 calories burned. To do this, I have to eat about 200 calories before the ride and 200 calories during the ride. Net loss...about 200 calories. So in a sense, the bike riding isn't helping me all that much. From a health perspective though - it is awesome and I love the feeling of accomplishment. I stuck to my May commitment - biked at least 3 times a week - even with life doing its best to get in the way! My 100km ride is THIS SATURDAY and if my bum knee and elbow don't let me down, I'm going to get past that finish line!

Anyway, back to my eating plans. I'm going to try maintenance for a bit and see where it takes me. I am going to continue logging and weighing myself daily. And I'm going to do all I can to give my body healthy nutrition. Today, my meals are:
Breakfast - half an avocado and an orange
Lunch - Salad with lots of lettuce, oranges, half an avocado, a sprinkling of chicken, and poppyseed dressing.
Dinner - not sure yet. Frying up lemon chicken for the family. Thinking I should make myself a tofu version instead. I don't like broccoli or asparagus so maybe I will add lots of thin carrot slices. I'll also make myself some quinoa as a more nutritious substitute to white rice. Sounds YUMMY :)
I will also go for a nice lunchtime walk. That kinda fell to the wayside when the biking increased.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:50:04 AM by elaine amj »

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #761 on: June 02, 2016, 08:37:10 AM »

@elaine amj -- I don't know about the 3-4 month thing, but I can totally buy the idea of diet fatigue on a number of different levels. Many years back I set a goal to lose 30 pounds. I lost 15 pounds over about 6 months and then hit a plateau, which I was actually okay with, because I was feeling patient. I kept it off for about 4-5 years. But then most of that 15 pounds crept back on in the past year and a half, and I felt totally helpless to stop it.

Recently, as you said, something clicked, and I started doing well. But I don't feel that "click" anymore. I feel driven by cravings. What used to feel easy -- being hungry and making smart food choices -- now seems almost intolerable. I can barely bring myself to log my food, though at least I am sticking to that. I know that for me, that's the first important step, so I figure if I cling to that, eventually I'll get my feet back under me again.

That's why I keep talking about what a hard road this is, what a steep climb. I don't mean to discourage anyone; quite the opposite, I mean to encourage us all by reminding us that we are doing difficult work, so when we sometimes don't meet our short-term goals, it's not a failure or lack of character, but just exhaustion or occasionally losing a hard-fought battle. It's so easy to get down on yourself when you can see yourself stuff your face with something while another part of your mind thinks in despair, "Why am I doing this?"

But our bodies want to hold onto that fat. It's stored energy, and they see it as treasure. When we take it away from them, they want it back, and they mount more and more desperate campaigns to regain what they lost. So we have to be devious and clever and careful as we try to take away more of that treasure, and as we try not to give in to the cravings that will lead to it coming back.

My 2 cents.

Your two cents are very appreciated! I'm stuck in this place right now too and it's sooo frustrating :( I know what to do and I know how to do it and I know I've done it in the past, but for some reason I just do not have the strength to make it happen lately. The last 2 days have been good, so I'm starting to get hopeful that I can indeed climb back out of this hole, but dang it's hard work!

On the other hand, I've hit the point where I've lost enough weight that strangers in the building where I work have started commenting on it, and I hate it. It's one thing for a friend to say "wow I can really see a difference!" and another thing entirely for some random person who's name I don't even know to say"you've really lost a lot of weight, all that walking must be helping." I'm sorry, who are you? And why are you looking at me? And especially, why are you talking?! I can't imagine ever making a comment like that to someone unless I knew them and they had *told* me they were trying to lose weight. Otherwise, mind your own business. Does anyone else struggle with that?

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #762 on: June 02, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »
On the other hand, I've hit the point where I've lost enough weight that strangers in the building where I work have started commenting on it, and I hate it. It's one thing for a friend to say "wow I can really see a difference!" and another thing entirely for some random person who's name I don't even know to say"you've really lost a lot of weight, all that walking must be helping." I'm sorry, who are you? And why are you looking at me? And especially, why are you talking?! I can't imagine ever making a comment like that to someone unless I knew them and they had *told* me they were trying to lose weight. Otherwise, mind your own business. Does anyone else struggle with that?

People haven't really commented on how I look, but yeah, that would really piss me off. My body is not here for anyone else's commentary or amusement, and the whole relationship to body, health, looks, fat, etc. is so out of whack in this culture that any comment, good or bad, could send me into a tailspin. I am doing this for me, and everyone else can keep their opinions to themselves. They are not helping me by commenting on whether my body looks fat or thin.

And also, some people are introverts and don't really want strangers engaging them on anything. Because privacy.

It's weird; within about a 30-pound range, the way I look doesn't really change. It's kind of nice, because it means nobody notices. Add to that that I tend to wear looser clothes because I have a weirdly sensitive stomach and can't tolerate anything tight around my abdomen, and I guess I'm pretty well camouflaged. I prefer it that way.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #763 on: June 02, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »
So Foodist lovers - I've been checking out her Summer Tomato blog. I'm impressed - much more than I thought I would be. I also listened to an hour long podcast and enjoyed it (I rarely listen to podcasts). I ended up subscribing to her newsletter so we'll see where that takes me. it jives very much with what I have been doing that has been successful - eating lots of real food that I enjoy.

I will mention that I don't like the look of most of her recipes though. I have never been a fan of veggies all my life and so I've been learning to expand my palate. Contrast that to skinnytaste,com where 50-75% of her recipes look incredibly delicious (and pretty much everything I have tried has been delicious too!). I did quickly learn my food has to taste good to be able to eat mindfully. So I am careful with that. There's still lots of veggies I need to learn to like, but now I enjoy tofu, zucchini, eggplant and squashes and have them quite regularly.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #764 on: June 02, 2016, 10:21:24 AM »
For me, I love veggies. But not raw. I like most of them somewhat cooked and appropriately seasoned and spiced. The big advantage with non starchy veggies is that you can eat a lot with little calories. I believe that for such veggies one 1 lb has about 100 calories. Plus you get so many wonderful phytonutrients.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #765 on: June 02, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
One thing I want to continue on is to change relationship to food. Rather than restricting food, eat more. But this should be foods that are good and wholesome.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #766 on: June 02, 2016, 11:24:45 AM »
Lots of good things to like on her blog - making my way through her series of starter kit posts. This sentence jumped out to me: Eating blueberries doesn’t make you a good person, and eating brownies doesn’t make you a bad person.   This line was found in Why I'll Never Tell You to Eat "Heart Healthy" Foods

Her answer to this is "To stop granting yourself a license to ill try to notice whenever you think of a food as good or bad, and instead remember why you enjoy them and how they will make you feel after eating them. Because only when you make choices based on your core values instead of your natural impulses will you be able to truly upgrade your healthstyle."

A GREAT point. Some time ago I posted on here wondering why eating a chocolate bar was so much more satisfying when a super sweet orange is just as delicious. I'm getting excited about tonight's lemon chicken & tofu with quinoa (I'll be using mostly tofu with a few pieces of chicken). Oh and i'll throw in some carrot slices too. It's going to be SO good!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #767 on: June 02, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »

Ugh! I don't have any strangers in my building, but I have dealt with it from acquaintances. Not this time (of losing weight), but last time a guy came up to me from our warehouse and congratulated me on losing the weight. I don't like a scene, so I just mumbled a thanks. He followed it up with, "Maybe nobody says anything to you but don't worry, we notice," (speaking about the other guys in the warehouse I assume!!). I was so squicked out after that. STOP LOOKING AT ME! STOP TALKING ABOUT ME! Yuck. I was in the military, so I know how -some- guys talk when they think no one is listening. Do you really have to tell me to my face that I am under scrutiny??

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #768 on: June 02, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
So the bad news is that I didn't lose anything in May. Very dissappointed, as I feel I was eating sensibly and mostly making the right food choices. I must be doing something wrong.i decided to fork out some money for a dietician in August as a bday present, to come up with an eating plan.

I'll be travelling in June July, so those months are a complete write-off from a healthy eating perspective.

The good news is I managed to considerably reduce my snacking and my meat consumption. It is also official that eggs and pulses cause me horrible bloating and I look twice as fat after eating those than usual. So I will have to avoid eating these in the near future. I will have to come up with a variety of recipes using peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, sweat potatoes, beetroot, carrots, parsnips, spinach and mushrooms. There, now that I can see the list, it is quite long, there is plenty of variety there. Broccoli and cauliflower are borderline.so this is something I will concentrate on in the next few weeks when we are not travelling. Yesterday I made an amazing roasted carrots and sweet potato salad and today I am making a Sicilian rice dish with peppers and eggplant.

I couldn't do as much exercise as I wanted, but I was walking every day 20-80 minutes, so it is better than nothing.

It is disheartening, but I can't give up and accept this fatness. I keep reminding myself that I am 15 kilos away from my healthy weight.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #769 on: June 03, 2016, 12:20:45 AM »
Bee21 -- the only thing I can suggest is to keep at it. You are doing lots of exercise and are watching what you eat. That is absolutely the right thing to do. Weight loss will take time. Nothing magical about creating a calorie deficit. Just keep it small, manageable and sustainable.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #770 on: June 03, 2016, 06:08:38 AM »
Bee21 - sounds like you are making a healthstyle change.  That is a good thing.  Why don't you just keep a journal for the busy travel months so that you can continue to develop your intentional eating habit and forget about weight loss for the moment.  Adding new recipes, food, eating times to your routine is a lot of change to become habit and read Foodist by Darya Rose.  And keeping coming here and let us support you

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #771 on: June 03, 2016, 07:32:45 AM »
@Bee21 Walking is awesome! Yesterday, the folks on here suggested I check out Foodist. I spent the day on SummerTomato, the author's blog. I enjoyed this article: http://summertomato.com/how-to-burn-more-calories-without-breaking-a-sweat. I've been exercising more (training for my big bike ride), but the only way I can do it is by fueling my body with more food (weirdly enough, I can actually FEEL when my body needs more food - and it occurs every hour or so). So I end up eating about half of the calories I burn in food. It's not the same with walking - I don't need any extra calories for hour long walks. (2+ hours - then yes, food is helpful).

Also, for your traveling, I found this for you: http://summertomato.com/away-court-habits-living-well-on-the-road. I tend to find that while I eat a lot more when I travel, I also often get much more active. I'm usually excited to be in a new place and walk everywhere whenever I get a chance.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #772 on: June 03, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
Has I REALLY avoided TWO weigh-ins?! I thought I only skipped one week. Ugh - creeping back to my "if I don't acknowledge it, it didn't happen" mentality. So, let's get honest again.

Friday weigh-in

Jan 1 2016: 154 lbs....Jan 8 2016: 153.2 lbs....Jan 15 2016:149.2 lbs....Jan 22 2016: 148 lbs....Jan 29 2016....147.4 lbs
Feb 5 2016: 145.2 lbs..Feb 12 2016: 142.8 lbs..Feb 19 2016: 140.6 lbs...Feb 26 2016: 140.8 lbs
Mar 4 2016: 139 lbs....Mar 11 2016: 138 lbs.....Mar 18 2016: VACAY......Mar 25 2016: 136.8 lbs
Apr 1 2016: 137.8 lbs..Apr 8 2016: 136.8 lbs....Apr 15 2016: 135.8 lbs...Apr 22 2016: 134.8 lbs...April 30 2016: 133.6 lbs
May 6, 2016:133.6 lbs.May 13 2016:134.6 lbs...May 21 2016: 137.6 lbs..May 26 2016: 132.2 lbs
Jun 3, 2016: 133.6 lbs

20.4 lbs lost
GOAL WEIGHT: 130 lbs (Stretch Goal 120 lbs)

Looking at May numbers, I've been fluctuating between the same few pounds all month long. And I've definitely felt the ups and downs. I'm going to take a diet break (I switched MFP to maintenance), spend a lot of time reading Summer Tomato, and focus on enjoying real foods and cooking more again. Oddly enough, I've rather missed all my extensive cooking-from-scratch sessions. I'm debating on whether to continue logging. For now, I will stick with it.

After so much struggling for so long, after I decided to take a break yesterday, the whole day flowed along pretty well. I logged everything - and came in at about 1200 calories! So crazy considering I've been averaging 2000 calories/day lately. My lemon tofu turned out to be delish (although I did use a fair bit of white sugar for the sauce). My family LOVED their version (with deep fried chicken breast). I ate one piece of lemon chicken and then stuck to my own version where I also added a big pile of julienned carrots. I actually got so full from this! Despite being full, I still felt a deep craving for dessert so I grabbed some frozen mangos. I also then chowed down on 1/2 a bag of butter popcorn that was sitting in front of me after dinner, but I eventually stopped. Going to have to figure out some habit hacks for this - I don't even really like butter popcorn :(

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #773 on: June 03, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
4/2: 236
4/11: 233 (interpolated) (-3,-3)
4/18: 230 (-3,-6)
4/25: 227.5 (-2.5,-8.5)
5/2: 224.5 (-3, -11.5)
5/6: 221 (-3.5, -15)
5/9: 221 (0,-15)
5/16: 221 (0,-15)
5/20: 221 (0,-15)
5/23: 218.5 (-2.5,-17.5)
5/27: 215 (-3.5, -21)
5/31: 213 (-2, -23)
6/3: 213 (0,-23)

This week I backed off a bit on the workouts pre half marathon for tomorrow.  Feeling good that there is no gain even with the switch to more carbs and less working out.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #774 on: June 03, 2016, 10:06:08 AM »

This week I backed off a bit on the workouts pre half marathon for tomorrow.  Feeling good that there is no gain even with the switch to more carbs and less working out.
Good luck on the half marathon.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #775 on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »
I need to make myself go eat a nice, decently sized, healthy lunch and not worry about the unattainable 130 pounds that I have never been able to achieve in my adult life.

This whole thread is pretty fascinating.  I've found weight loss to be a challenge, and go back and forth on it.

On one hand, I have a "number" (doesn't everyone?  For me it's 135.)
I have only hit it once since having baby #2 4 years ago.  I managed to lose *most* of the baby weight by the time my son was 2.5.  Then I stalled a year.

Then when he was 3.5, I decided to hit it hard for a month.  I lost the last 6 lbs, but then the whole family got the stomach flu, and I lost 7 more (down to 129).  And ... I didn't look very good.  When it all settled out I was back to 136.  But then in the spring I found myself up at 141 again.

So...I struggle with whether or not I really care.  I've been eating healthfully and exercising regularly.  My clothing fits.  My weight can fluctuate by several pounds EASILY by time of the month, water retention.  How important is that damn number?  (Which was 139 this week, but I have pms).

The truth of the matter is to hit "that number" requires literal perfection in my diet.  That is *no* wine, *no* wheat, *no* sugar...ever.  And carefully controlled calories.

Is five pounds really worth it?  Because  honest truth, those five pounds aren't going to make me suddenly a supermodel.  I'm a 5'2", almost-46 year old stocky mother of 2.  I'm *trying* to break up with my scale, and only use it as *one* tool.  But it's hard because I'm such a numbers geek.

Parents can be tough.  Mine are gone, but my mother used to have issues too.  When I was about 11, and she was 37, she lost a bunch of weight with my dad on a 1000-cal a day diet.  She walked several miles a day.  She was 5'5" and weighed 125, which was very hard to maintain.  When I managed to lose weight in my 30's, and again after baby #1, she would say things like "well when *I* was your age I was in great shape too, but THEN look at what happened!!"  It wasn't very supportive, to say the least (she was 100 pounds overweight and an alcoholic).

I have a good friend who played water polo in HS and was tall and skinny - 130 lbs - you know, like HS kids often are.  Then she got up over 200 lbs, but then lost weight after dumping a boyfriend.  So now she's late 30's, very healthy, but she's never going to hit 130 lbs again.  More like 160-170, but she's tall and muscular and very fit.  But her dad - her DAD still says things like "when you were 18..."

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #776 on: June 03, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »
Ah, the number.

I did not really have one. All I wanted to lose was that spare tire which I have been carrying since forever. I estimated that must have been like 5 pounds. When I started my weight loss about one year ago my number was to be -5 from current.

I did reach that number in a couple months but Dang It! Spare tire was still there, except it was maybe a teeny bit deflated. So a new number was made -5 from current, I.e. -10 from original.

I got to this number as well in a few weeks, but guess what, spare tire still present. Bit smaller but still there. So new revised target, -5 from current and -15 from original.

Got to this as well. Tummy a lot smaller but still there. I was starving and had hunger pangs always.

I continued this restrictive diet for a few more months. No change in scale.

This was when I decided that this restrictive stuff was not worth it. Upped my calorie intake. Now eat more but healthier. Minimize fat a lot. Eat lots of carbs with fruits, veggies, beans/lentils and rice. Feel fuller, more satiated. Exercise is normal amount -- 30 min on weekdays and 60+ min on weekends. Feels right and feels sustainable.

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #777 on: June 03, 2016, 11:21:31 AM »
Ugh! I don't have any strangers in my building, but I have dealt with it from acquaintances. Not this time (of losing weight), but last time a guy came up to me from our warehouse and congratulated me on losing the weight. I don't like a scene, so I just mumbled a thanks. He followed it up with, "Maybe nobody says anything to you but don't worry, we notice," (speaking about the other guys in the warehouse I assume!!). I was so squicked out after that. STOP LOOKING AT ME! STOP TALKING ABOUT ME! Yuck. I was in the military, so I know how -some- guys talk when they think no one is listening. Do you really have to tell me to my face that I am under scrutiny??

Oh my goodness, I think that's even worse! People can be so nosy!

Weighed in this morning and I'm exactly the same as last week. I've been back on track since Monday but it's also that time of the month so I think those two cancel each other out. Hopefully after another week of sticking to plan I will see a change in the numbers.

starting weight as of mid-March: 175
5/6: 156.8
5/13: 155.8
5/20: 153.6
5/27: 154.6
6/3: 154.6
goal weight: 145

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #778 on: June 03, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »
@mm1970 - the number is my curse. I have never achieved it so I'm not even sure why it is my number.

I was 120 pounds in 7th grade and then I finished puberty and blew right through to 135-140. I have spent the last 20 years trying to weigh 130. Weird.

I'm like you and it takes perfection to achieve 137 pounds (and isn't it sort of sad that I know the exact number): perfectly clean eating and working out twice a day. I did it regularly until my mid twenties and I'm so lucky that I didn't wreck my metabolism.

Once I stopped that silliness my weight settled pretty happily in the mid 140s without any effort at all until I had my second kid.  Now it wants to sit 5 pounds higher. The 5 pounds are why  i'm stalking this thread these days.

But for some reason - 130 is still my number :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:51:26 PM by StarBright »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #779 on: June 03, 2016, 01:38:59 PM »
I thought 130 was my number, but I am almost there (through diet alone  - I haven't changed anything else), and I still have that tire that rpr is referring to, so I guess I am going to keep going. I'm not doing anything insane, just tracking calories and aiming for 1200. Most days I fall in around 1300 and the weight is still coming off, just maybe not as quickly as it would.

If I had to work out every single day and eat perfectly, it would not be sustainable and I would probably not be attempting it (hitting a number I mean).

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #780 on: June 03, 2016, 02:51:03 PM »
@mm1970 I think there is "a number" and there is a number.  I picked 180 as my goal weight, but from a starting point of nearly 240 lbs.  180 is slightly higher than midpoint of the normal BMI range for my height.  As I've been losing weight, I'm feeling better, able to do more, able to run faster etc.  180 is still my number.  However, if I get to 190 (hypothetically) and I'm happy and can maintain it, it will be my new number.  If I get to 180 and still feel I'm not where I should be, I'll probably drop it to 175.  I guess my point is that a number when you are 60 lbs away from it is a very different thing than one when you are 5-10 lbs away.  My wife is in a similar position to you.  I can't even tell the difference between her 141 days and her 134 days.  She's stopped stressing about her number too, but when she hits the 140s she knows she needs a bit more discipline for a bit.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #781 on: June 03, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
On another thread in this forum, I came across a recommendation for the book "Thinner This Year" by Chris Crowley. Just got an electronic copy from my library. About a third of the way. It is an excellent read so far.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #782 on: June 03, 2016, 08:22:13 PM »

Tomorrow is gonna be a great day! I'm doing a 100km bike ride. Hoping for some great weather!!!

Don't know how much it will help me weight-wise. I carbed up tonight and have a lot of snacks planned to fuel me tomorrow. Oh well - I am mostly interested in completing the entire 100km :)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Yeah I've got a 'number' of about 85-90kg (about 185-200 pounds) that I was at a few years ago.

I was actually down to 80kg at one stage (I saw 79.9 once) a few years back, but that wasn't really sustainable.

I'm 181cm/~5'11" tall (although last time I was measured it was 183cm).

I've eaten bread and potatoes in the last few days, so I'm expecting this weigh in to be a disaster.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #784 on: June 04, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »
Weigh-in day:

3/12: 162.6
3/19: 161.8
3/26: 159.6
4/2: 160.2
4/9: 158.4
4/16: 158.4
4/23: 158.4
4/30: 157.6
5/7: 157.4
5/14: 158.4
5/21: 157.2
5/28: 159.4
6/4: 157.8

Yeah, my scale is confused. On average, I ate a little more than I had hoped last week, but I did also exercise a little more. Not enough to justify a 1.6-pound drop, though.

I'll take it, but I think it's a mirage. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

The next couple of months have various medical stressors for me: tests, procedures. (Nothing dire, just investigating some old health issues and seeing if they can't be fixed.) I'm juggling a lot right now, and getting overwhelmed, and I think that's showing in my eating patterns.

I think until all that settles down, I'll aim for logging food and gently guiding myself toward good choices as possible. I expect a lot more roller coaster before the summer is out, but come fall, I'm hoping to be able to focus more on weight loss again.

@mm1970 -- my "number" is about 132, but that's just the lie I tell myself. I'm really shooting for 142, but since I hear that the last 10 pounds are the hardest, I figure if I pretend to aim lower, I might actually get where I want to go more easily.

Most of my adult life, I was between 130 and 140. Then, to cope with an unusual stress of family illness, I deliberately allowed myself to go up to about 165, figuring I could easily take the weight off when the stressful time was over, because weight maintenance and loss had never been hard for me before. Wow, was I wrong; aging really does change your metabolism. So now I'm trying to get back to what seems reasonable and familiar, but may now be out of reach. It's a blow to my pride, but you have to make peace with the reality of your life.

crispy

« Reply #785 on: June 04, 2016, 09:44:11 AM »
I want to jump in because I need some accountability. I lost 110 pounds several years again and have been maintaining. The last year has been rough (new FT sedentary job, moved to a fixer upper, was in a car accident that limited my exercise, etc.), and I have gained about 13 pounds. I want to reverse the trend because I don't ever want to be overweight again.  I would like to get back down to 140.  Today, I weighed in at 150.0.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #786 on: June 04, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »
Should start tracking this here. Started in the 187-188 range a few weeks ago but didn't really keep track.

5/21 - 186.2

Slowly making my way lower...

6/4 - 185.6

Not really that much improvement. But I also had a huge lunch yesterday for work that I'm pretty sure had a pound of salt in it (my ring is SUPER tight on my finger) so I'm hopeful that the long term trend is still down. Going on a work trip next week and will have to be really careful!

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #787 on: June 04, 2016, 10:45:30 AM »

Tomorrow is gonna be a great day! I'm doing a 100km bike ride. Hoping for some great weather!!!

Don't know how much it will help me weight-wise. I carbed up tonight and have a lot of snacks planned to fuel me tomorrow. Oh well - I am mostly interested in completing the entire 100km :)
elaineamj and dogboyslim -- That is so awesome. I envy your dedication, perseverance and motivation. I frequently dream that I will complete a marathon or bike 50 miles but never take that first step. I salute both of you.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #788 on: June 04, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
I want to jump in because I need some accountability. I lost 110 pounds several years again and have been maintaining. The last year has been rough (new FT sedentary job, moved to a fixer upper, was in a car accident that limited my exercise, etc.), and I have gained about 13 pounds. I want to reverse the trend because I don't ever want to be overweight again.  I would like to get back down to 140.  Today, I weighed in at 150.0.

@crispy -- Welcome, and good luck.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #789 on: June 04, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »
@rpr Thanks :) 7 years ago I was a 30yr old couch potato who had never done anything particularly strenuous EVER. Not even as a kid (I was a sedentary bookworm). A 30 min ride was doable, but considered a long way. To top it off, I was a nervous cyclist, only feeling safe on sidewalks and trails.

Then I got hired to organize this bike ride. The committee was awesome and so passionate and fun. I joined them for "meet and greet" short, slow rides. I was so inspired I pushed myself to ride 25km on my Walmart special. It took me 2 hours and I almost didn't make it. I felt amazing when I did it.

The next year, a friend lost a ton of weight through WW. I convinced him to ride 200km over 2 days. He finally agreed if I promised to give it a shot. So we started training and when I found I was serious, I bought a used beginner road bike for $600. After that, my husband realized I was actually taking it super seriously. He bought himself a road bike and joined us in training. When the big day came, there were organizational complications so I chose to work one day while my husband rode and he was "voluntold" the next day while I rode. And I finished an ENTIRE 100km!!!!! I never dreamed I could do such a thing. The next year, I upgraded to a $1500 road bike and rode the full 200km.

Since then, I have shocked myself and learned that I am not who I thought I was. I am now the type of person who can handle a 5hr hike. I can canoe for 3 hrs straight. I can do an 8hr adventure race. I can play tennis! Its been mindblowing and rather life changing.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #790 on: June 04, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
thanks guys for the kind words and support, it really means a lot.

Anyway, I still consider this May challenge a positive thing, as I learnt a lot. I just have to pick myself up from the floor and keep going.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #791 on: June 04, 2016, 06:28:31 PM »
@rpr Thanks :) 7 years ago I was a 30yr old couch potato who had never done anything particularly strenuous EVER. Not even as a kid (I was a sedentary bookworm). A 30 min ride was doable, but considered a long way. To top it off, I was a nervous cyclist, only feeling safe on sidewalks and trails.

Then I got hired to organize this bike ride. The committee was awesome and so passionate and fun. I joined them for "meet and greet" short, slow rides. I was so inspired I pushed myself to ride 25km on my Walmart special. It took me 2 hours and I almost didn't make it. I felt amazing when I did it.

The next year, a friend lost a ton of weight through WW. I convinced him to ride 200km over 2 days. He finally agreed if I promised to give it a shot. So we started training and when I found I was serious, I bought a used beginner road bike for $600. After that, my husband realized I was actually taking it super seriously. He bought himself a road bike and joined us in training. When the big day came, there were organizational complications so I chose to work one day while my husband rode and he was "voluntold" the next day while I rode. And I finished an ENTIRE 100km!!!!! I never dreamed I could do such a thing. The next year, I upgraded to a $1500 road bike and rode the full 200km.

Since then, I have shocked myself and learned that I am not who I thought I was. I am now the type of person who can handle a 5hr hike. I can canoe for 3 hrs straight. I can do an 8hr adventure race. I can play tennis! Its been mindblowing and rather life changing.

elaine amj -- That is inspirational! Thank you for sharing it. 

I'm much older and only now getting started in any semblance of sustained physical activity. My younger teenage self would only run 10 minutes and get tired and panting. Now my upper-40s self can run/jog for an hour straight. Granted it is slow but nonetheless I can keep at it. 

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #792 on: June 04, 2016, 09:52:54 PM »
@Elaine AMJ: I meant to post yesterday, but I hope that your bike ride went really well today!

Yesterday was weigh-in day for me. I was up 1.2 pounds, at 157.6 pounds. Down from the five pound increase that I saw earlier in the week, so I'm okay with it. It confirms that I'm definitely in maintenance mode.

Speaking of numbers, my ideal number is 140. Given my lifestyle currently, I am happy that I have been able to maintain my weigh within +2 pounds for the past 6 (or 7) weeks. It shows me that I can be happier and healthier and maintain my weight within my lifestyle for now. Over the course of the year, I have lost between 25 and 27 pounds. Not insignificant! Sometimes I really wonder if the number on the scale really is something that is an abstraction of how we really feel. I would love to lose more, and hopefully I will over the next couple of years. But I'm happy with my life now, and am working on improving our eating habits overall. I'm hoping the kids will eat the new and exciting dishes that I'm planning on preparing for them over the summer. So far, I'm one for two. My son will eat anything put in front of him. My daughter, not so much. She will eat anything carb-y, but anything that is green is a real struggle (they're twins).

Stats:
1/01/2016: 182.8
5/06/2016: 158.2
5/13/2016: 155.8
5/20/2016: 156.6
5/27/2016: 156.4
6/03/2016: 157.6

Weight lost: 25.2
Goal: 140

So I'm okay for now. More weight coming off would be great. But given everything that has been going on I will take it for now!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #793 on: June 05, 2016, 07:30:43 AM »
Original weight: 116.3kg
Last week's weight: 114.9kg
Current weight: 116.3kg
Goal weight: 90kg

D'oh.

Being busy at work and the arrival of winter here hasn't helped things, but I've been eating too much of the wrong food.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:32:35 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #794 on: June 05, 2016, 08:07:30 AM »
Going to ignore today's jump on the scales and just spend the day eating well and puttering in my garden and doing chores.  Nice to read how every one is doing.  Going to have to think about my number.  This will be hard because I was a "poor doer"  all my life until I had babies.  After babies, I had gotten my life together mentally and physically (with stress management and good at a celiac diet) and then suddenly metabolism and lifestyle changes and bam I am running to the other site of the BMI curve.

Geostache -you have done amazing since the beginning of the year to have lost as much weight as you have.  And you have developed a healthstyle too!
Elaine amj  -hope you were able to stand the cool rain for your ride.  Maybe it was easier without the heat?
Bee21 -hope you are feeling better today
alsoknownasdean - what strategies are you going to adopt to increase mindfulness before putting something in your mouth.  I think this is the key.
crispy - welcome to the thread

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #795 on: June 05, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »
@geostache it's good to consider and always appreciate just how far u have come! And u have come a long way this year.

@crispy WELCOME!! So glad to have u here. Can you tell us a bit about how u lost the 110lbs and how u handled maintenance? I think its great that u recognized u have been putting on a bit too much and are now focused on getting back to your preferred weight.

@dogboyslim how was your run?

As for my bike ride, it went pretty well. I was a wee bit annoyed because I did better in training than on the actual day. At 80km into the 100km ride, I had to pull out :( I messed up my knee in last year's 100km ride abd it's been bugging me since. By 80km, it had flared up badly (my physio says it is just overuse). I HATE stopping and argued with myself for a bit, but even using biofreeze wasn't working. Finally I reminded myself that I have done this before (7 yrs now) so have nothing to prove. I need my knee for tge rest of my life. So - I stopped. I'll be back next year! All in all, it was a beautiful day, the other riders were fun, and 80km is a LONG way!!

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #796 on: June 05, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
elaine amj -- props for the maturity you showed. 

I ran 4 miles in about 48 minutes this morning. That is among the best times for me for this distance. Slowly trying to improve both distance and pace. Continuing to eat better. Scale was a teensy bit  lower -- probably random noise.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #797 on: June 06, 2016, 06:55:33 AM »
alsoknownasdean - what strategies are you going to adopt to increase mindfulness before putting something in your mouth.  I think this is the key.

Being prepared and having something ready to take to work for lunch is a good start. Remembering to bring it to work helps too :)

If I've got something nice and healthy ready to go, theoretically I'm less likely to go for the convenience foods/takeaway when I get home after work.

I'll have to go to the supermarket tomorrow night. I want to make beef and lentil soup and I think I need a few more ingredients :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #798 on: June 06, 2016, 06:57:36 AM »
The scale went up for the first time since I decided to make a body change.  I am back up two pounds.  It was a very stressful week and I felt queasy sick with emotions.  I was not able to say no every time I was offered a poor food choice. I had insomnia on Friday night.  This always leaves me craving sugar and although I was completely aware that this would be the case - I had pop and juice and chips and nachos and cheese and pekoras and poppadoms.  This week is starting hard because stage three of kitchen updating is happening. The stove is in the front hall and the fridge is in the dining room while the new floor is installed.  Not sure when we can walk on it.  At least I got a good nights sleep last night.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #799 on: June 06, 2016, 08:09:46 AM »
6/6: 214 (1,-22)

Lesson, throwing 3 cheat days in a row is not going to work even if you run a half marathon and a 20 mile bike ride into the mix.  Also known as: You can't out-run your fork.  Still feeling pretty good.  I ran the first 5 miles of the half with Mrs. DBS and then picked it up a bit to finish right at 2 hours.  I have heard this is about the median finishing time for men my age, so I'm pretty pleased with that.  This next few weeks is going to be a real challenge for me because my wife got the kids those 100 calorie granola bars.  I have ZERO willpower.  Those things are like little magnets sucking me towards the cupboard.  My wife said they are only 100 calories, to which I reminded her that 10 of them make 1,000 calories.  I just need to keep busy and not think of them.  The good news here is that she got them from costco, so there are only like 100 granola bars calling my name right now...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!