Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459573 times)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #600 on: May 07, 2016, 08:27:05 PM »
@redmondstash you are moving forward - thats what counts! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: May 07, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
@redmondstash you are moving forward - thats what counts! :)

Thanks, @elaine amj. I'm definitely pleased, especially after the week I had. Trending down is better than staying flat, and staying flat is better than going up. I am quite content. :)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #602 on: May 08, 2016, 10:49:22 AM »
Starting 156
4/30 - 153
5/1 - 153
5/8 - 153

Goal-140.

Lost-to-date - 3 lbs

I didn't lose anything but at least I didn't gain. The beginning of May was tough with holidays and birthdays but tomorrow I feel I can get back to the challenge.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #603 on: May 08, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »
Two dinners out this weekend.
I had trouble finding stuff to eat at MIL's Saturday night.  Hubby's family don't eat vegetables. I make more veggies for the four of us on a weeknight than she had for 16 people.  In a way it was a good thing that I am celiac because I can resist getting glutened.  There was two whole chickens, 10 strip loin steaks, a bowl of shrimp, a lasagne, two types of french fries, a roasted potatoes with a few peppers that had so much oil they were really sliced fries, Caesar salad, carrots -but she only had three and two small heads of old broccoli.  No one was eating the broccoli so I was good to have a heaping helping but I ate too much Caesar salad in my quest to get half a plate of veggies.   The chicken and one type of fries were takeaway and I didn't want to chance the seasoning mix, the shrimp is cooked with beer, and the lasagne full of gluten and with the cakes for dessert I can give it all a pass easily.  They wash it all down with gingerale.  MIL puts two - 2 liter bottles on the table.  Is it any wonder why these people are overweight?  But I ended up having three glasses of wine. Fortunately I had been working in the garden for 5 hours that day.  Hope I was saved a little by the workout.
Tonight was dinner at my parents.  I brought a huge salad with my home grown greens and a very light homemade dressing which I applied very sparingly to the tiny leaves.  Then there was a roasted broccoli with parmesan and garlic. Mini potatoes, mushrooms and gravy, peas, roast beef.  I only had a small amount of the gravy- but fished out a ton of mushrooms, gorged on the broccoli and the salad and had one slice of beef.  I was doing great until dessert - gluten free apple crisp.  My stepbrother gave me a huge bowl.  I did decline the ice cream, the dinner roll, most of the appetizers and only had one small glass of each type of two red wines but none of the prosecco. My dad had gone down to the cellar for some special bottles.  He is totally non-Mustachian about wine. Totally decadent meal and super tasty.  I am hoping the six hours of chores and moving furniture will counterbalance the over consumption. 
I know I ate a little too much but there was so much opportunity to eat way more. I could have done better but I am happy with what I was able to do. 
Now to resist the two giant bags of potato chips hubby brought home from the grocery store today!!!  We did a list together and he goes all off list on me.  I hate going shopping but I guess I have to take it back over.

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #604 on: May 08, 2016, 08:30:15 PM »
Congrats everyone on the weigh ins, on either losing or staying steady when you thought you would lose because of what you ate.

Frugal Lizard- I am glad to see you are still loving Foodist. I am listening to her podcasts now and will re-read the book soon to make sure things are really cemented. Congrats on staying the course on the happy hour and not going overboard during the dinners.

RedmondStash- I'll take the .2 oz anyday!

For me, things are looking up, thanks to your tips. I focus on snacking on veggies and fruits, with only very occasional nuts snacks- I find that I need it more when I go running in the morning vs. working out. I am still doing well with the workout habit.

The big win this weekend, besides being active and resisting the temptation of going out for dinner vs. having leftovers, was seeing a picture my DH took of us rock climbing yesterday. True that he is a professional photographer and I have slowly learned to pose for the camera, but still, looking at the pictures, I can see the progress I am making. My shoulders and arms are more defined from the workouts, and I look a bit more svelte overall. Definitely not drastic changes, but enough to keep going. The scale has been cooperating as well. After climbing to 170.1 on Saturday after a dinner party with friends, I am down to 168.1 today (down from 168.8 yesterday). And that's with having a reasonable serving of ice cream both nights (leftovers from Friday party)! For the next 5 days, I will be home alone as DH is traveling and I think I'll be able to go into super routine mode with dinner, breakfast and lunch. I asked him to cook me a big pot of mung bean soup to take to lunch as it's super filling. Thanks all for the encouragement. Just keep going!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #605 on: May 08, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
@alleykat Special occasions are hard!!

@Frugal Lizard Congrats on being mindful as u went through the minefield this weekend! I tend to save/set aside a lot of calories when eating in the homes of others. Even when friends cook healthy, we all definitely overeat just because. Food is such a social thing. I like it that way though.

How did everyone else do on Mother's Day weekend?

We mostly ate at home. I admit I did get greasy Chinese takeout from a local Chinese grocery store for tonight though. I kept the portion reasonable (1 cup of kung pao chicken and 1/2 cup of rice) and it was only about ~600 calories according to MFP. Topped it off with a 1/2 cup Rolo ice cream and 3 mini Caramilk bars that has survived since Halloween. Sleeping in through breakfast and eating a reasonable lunch meant I only ate about 1450 cals all day. Not bad at all.

Plus, I went for a 1hr bike ride yesterday. Today, I asked to go canoeing for Mother's Day so DD and I went out to a local river. We spent 2.5hrs....it was amazing. I can canoe forever, I love it so much. Earned a lot of calories with my active weekend. Checked my weekly stats and I finally made up for the overly large work meal on Tuesday.

Getting serious about cycling for my May challenge! My girlfriend and I have made plans to go at least 3 times this week. It feels sooo good to be back on my bike. Here's to an outdoorsy summer!!!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:37:11 PM by elaine amj »

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #606 on: May 09, 2016, 02:57:49 AM »
First week was average, 3 normal days, 2 good ones and 2 bad days incl mothers day.Didn't lose any weight:(

The good: cooked 2 memorable low fat low carb dinners for self: moroccan chicken w eggplant and chickpeas and an asian flavoured mushroom soup. Yum. First time i forked out the money for the fancy mushrooms, but they were so delicious it was totally worth the 4 $ per punnet.

Husband is away for 3 days this week, so it means 3 low fat, vegetarian dinners, i finally don't have to cook meat. What a relief. There are days when i resent cooking man food. Or kid's food. Lost my cooking mojo.

Don't give up people. I am dusting self off and keep up. I decided to take it day by day. Today was a good day. Tomorrow will be a good day.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #607 on: May 09, 2016, 05:39:52 AM »
I am not eating any desserts until I lose about 10 pounds, under 180, then I'll eat a single thing of ice cream (maybe).

Since deciding to do this it's AMAZING how often the option for desserts exists.

I've had to politely turn down an opportunity nearly every other day since deciding this, between coworkers bringing desserts at work, special events, people bringing things to small group, etc.

Makes me realize how many desserts I was eating before...

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: May 09, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »
Did pretty good this week. Even Wednesday when I was up to 2/3 of my daily calories due to paramedics orders, I still was only 200 calories over by the end of the day. Still feeling motivated. :)

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
Goal weight: 130

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #609 on: May 09, 2016, 08:27:10 AM »
Mother's Day was fairly successful for me. We did go out to lunch, but the restaurant was having a special, with an appetizer, and a big meal for a total of $20. DH and I split the meal, and the kids got and ate most of their meal (win!). For dinner, I made an on-plan meal which was really yummy and will go into my regular rotation when cabbage is on sale. I didn't over-eat, and between vacuuming and mowing the lawn, I walked over 8,000 steps.

After my gain last week, I've been re-motivated to do better.

Congrats to all for your changing habits!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: May 09, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »
I didn't do too well this weekend. Saturday we had pizza (mother in law's choice), and I ate FOUR slices (what??)! The only positive there was that it was a combined lunch/dinner, so I didn't really eat anything else that day except breakfast. Sunday was a birthday party/mother's day party and I snacked too much on the cheese plate besides having a slightly too large lunch and small dinner (sounds good, except it was pasta). Sigh. Anything out of my routine seems to really just throw me off. Oh well...new week, new choices.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #611 on: May 09, 2016, 02:43:08 PM »
@Bee21 YAY to more good days!!!! This is such a mental game.

@Cookie78  After so many slow weeks, I bet these past two weeks have felt SO good!

@Geostache Congratulations on keeping your weekend reasonable :)

@rockstache Would it help to develop a routine for handling the parties/eating out? I don't personally like denial so I find skipping breakfast or lunch gives me the extra calories to handle weekend events.

My own number was still high this morning :( Mondays weigh-ins are never nice at my house. But, I am sticking to my plan and I like my MFP numbers. I think my problem last week was underestimating my food intake - easy to do because I ate a lot of stuff I didn't personally cook so I couldn't weigh and measure and eyeballed a lot. So - I am going to pick up the pace by overestimating more. I am kicking up the exercise with my cycling and I decided I am going to try not eating back every single calorie. I'd like to get back to losing at least 1, maybe even 1.5 lbs a week consistently. My trendweight graph is showing a more pathetic 0.6 lb a week loss right now.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #612 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:45 PM »
I didn't do too well this weekend. Saturday we had pizza (mother in law's choice), and I ate FOUR slices (what??)! The only positive there was that it was a combined lunch/dinner, so I didn't really eat anything else that day except breakfast. Sunday was a birthday party/mother's day party and I snacked too much on the cheese plate besides having a slightly too large lunch and small dinner (sounds good, except it was pasta). Sigh. Anything out of my routine seems to really just throw me off. Oh well...new week, new choices.

rockstache, I hear you!  Pizza is a dangerous food for me.  Just something about it that makes me want to nom nom nom even after I'm full.  Even when I am conscious of being full. Blech. 

My only strategy has been to avoid it as much as possible; hard to do when someone else is choosing the menu.

When I can't avoid it, I try to eat lighter the rest of that day or the following day.  It's definitely not optimal, but at this point, I just accept that it will slow my weight loss & try to move on.  It's good to see you are putting it behind you!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #613 on: May 09, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
Ugh, agreed on the pizza, thanks for the commiseration. I think it might have only been my second or third time eating pizza since January, and that is why I avoid it. Can't stop, WONT STOP!

Ok, yes I will stop, but it is probably my favorite food. It doesn't even have to be particularly good - I'll still stuff my face. I'll have to learn moderation somehow or keep combining meals!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #614 on: May 10, 2016, 07:08:41 AM »
Weighed in this morning lower than I've seen in a long time (started ~188-189 range and weighed 185.6 this morning).

Probably a bit of water weight loss there but FULL STEAM AHEAD.

I should really track my weight on a somewhat regular basis, so I can see trends. Right now I am deliberately eating mostly non-carb-rich foods and no desserts. While biking to work and using a fitbit one to walk 1000 steps a day make me realize I'm pathetically sedentary.

I think this combination if sustained is pretty much the "eat less and exercise" magic formula that works for nearly everyone to lose weight. The discipline part is hard though. And I've a long ways to go, I was just looking at emails from only 4 years ago where I was in the 155-160 range. That's a gain per year of nearly 10 pounds (!!). Ugh.

Believing it is possible to get there is incredibly important and hard for me.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #615 on: May 10, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »
@rockstache: Pizza is my nemesis! We actually go out to eat for pizza once a week after the kids' swim lessons. But, I order the whole grain crust and load it with veggies. It works out to be about 115 calories per slice. I can eat 3 slices of the small pie without much guilt and also without a lot of pre-planning. Perhaps you can work something like that into your regular plan? I find that if I deny myself something I really want, I wind up eventually giving in and overeating/binging on it.

@ender: You can do it, and you are doing it! Have faith in what is working for you. It will take time, but it will happen!

My daily weight is trending down again, which is good to see after a month of yo-yo-ing by a few pounds. Go figure - making healthy foods at home makes a difference!

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #616 on: May 10, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »

Yeah, for me too. I was discouraged for a long time, but in recent months, I've seen my own ability to cut back on caloric intake without feeling deprived, and I'm optimistic once more.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #617 on: May 10, 2016, 10:11:17 AM »

Yeah, for me too. I was discouraged for a long time, but in recent months, I've seen my own ability to cut back on caloric intake without feeling deprived, and I'm optimistic once more.

Yes, this is one of my problems too. Sometimes, I just don't see it and always saying tomorrow will be better doesn't work.  I do think it is just about cutting back the calories so this weekend I put everything I could in the cabinet.  When I don't see it, sometimes, I forget I have it.  I really am amazed just how hard this is.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #618 on: May 10, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
Ugh, agreed on the pizza, thanks for the commiseration. I think it might have only been my second or third time eating pizza since January, and that is why I avoid it. Can't stop, WONT STOP!

Ok, yes I will stop, but it is probably my favorite food. It doesn't even have to be particularly good - I'll still stuff my face. I'll have to learn moderation somehow or keep combining meals!

Pizza is super hard to stop for me even if I am full, I want to keep eating it.  Just crazy.  Lately though, if we are having pizza, I will have salad first and keep the slices to two.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #619 on: May 10, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
Pizza is super hard to stop for me even if I am full, I want to keep eating it.  Just crazy.  Lately though, if we are having pizza, I will have salad first and keep the slices to two.

Pretty much anything made with flour is really hard for me to not keep eating.

So I'm sort of trying to avoid them. Except at lunch today, I guess... hah.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #620 on: May 10, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »
Go figure - making healthy foods at home makes a difference!

So, so, SO TRUE!!!

And to agree with what everyone else said, this is such a mental game.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #621 on: May 10, 2016, 06:03:01 PM »
This week is a little bumpy for me. I've got some new weird digestive issue where I feel ill if my stomach is empty, so I've been snacking more, and mostly on starchy things, which are pretty much the only things that soothe my stomach. I figure I'll ride out whatever's making me sick and then recommence the May Challenge afterward. It's frustrating, though; I was doing so well.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: May 10, 2016, 06:27:40 PM »
I am not having the best week either.  I seem perpetually starving or completely grossed out.  I woke up for the day at 3:28am this morning.  The cat barfed in the laundry room.  Then the cat was eating something he shouldn't so I had my fingers in his mouth.  Then I went to do a little garden therapy at the end of the day because I can't concentrate on anything and just want to eat sugar.  Finding a dead chipmunk in my garden tool trolley cured that.  Stinky gross day.  Tummy is feeling upset and I hope I can sleep tonight so that I can just get over the rich weekend.

One upside this week though- I have garden fresh green from my own garden a full two weeks before last frost.

Hang in everyone....

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #623 on: May 10, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »
Well, I now know what maintenance is supposed to look like - the last couple of days!

Sigh. I felt like I was eating reasonably. Just a wee bit more relaxed about snacking and meals since I was upping my activity levels. Yesterday was 1783 cals and today was 1587 cals. I wasn't even doing any indulging :(

Thankfully, I kept activity levels high and so I stayed within my 1230 net calorie limit (it sucks to be short when losing weight).

It's a bit of a wake up call that this isn't just a short-term thing. I've been saying lifestyle change but it's taking me a while to internalize it.

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #624 on: May 11, 2016, 02:39:36 AM »
Woke up this morning with full intention of doing my run/sprint workout but lost motivation and hardly managed to drag myself out of bed. I managed to convince myself to get out the door  by promising myself to just go for a walk. At least I did that. We can't win all days, but I have to remember that this is for the long term, so one day is not going to screw me up. The most important thing is consistency and not giving up. If one bad day turns into a bad week and a bad month, then we have a problem.

For the upside, my abs are feeling tighter. Scale is still not cooperating.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #625 on: May 11, 2016, 05:33:22 AM »
Hopefully I'm not too late! :)

Current weight: 116.3kg
Goal weight: 90kg

I lost a fair bit of weight a few years ago (I actually got down to under 80kg at one stage) and gradually put it back on. I was able to lose it once, surely I can do so again.

I've been riding to work a few days a week for the last year or so and was playing sport over the summer, so the major focus will be on improving what's on the plate (and crucially, how much).

The weather has started to get colder, so avoiding comfort foods will be an important challenge.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #626 on: May 11, 2016, 06:49:24 AM »
@RedmondStash, @Frugal Lizard, @Elaine AMJ, and @RuntoFIRE, you are all correct that this is a long term journey. A day, a week, or even a month of not-being-perfectly-on-plan isn't the end of the world, as long as you keep going! If going all-in isn't working for you, try to pick one thing a week on which to focus your attention. One week, focus on your exercise/activity goals. The next week, keep that activity goal and add in a focus on changing one eating habit.

@RuntoFIRE, focus on other areas of progress. You mentioned that your abs are feeling tighter. How are your clothes fitting?

@Elaine AMJ, you stayed within your calorie limit with your exercise, so that's a win!

@Frugal Lizard, that sounds like a terrible day! Fresh greens from the garden are exciting though!

@RedmondStash, sorry to hear about your digestive issues. Sometimes the body wants what it wants, and it tells us.

@alsoknownasDean, welcome to the thread! It's never too late. The gauntlet is to lose weight in 2016, and last time I checked, it's still 2016! See if you can lighten up your comfort food recipes. If not, have them, but try to stick to a single serving, and only have it once a week.

A friend of mine gave me parenting advice that I think fits all of our situations, and MMM in general:  You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #627 on: May 11, 2016, 07:38:43 AM »
@RuntoFIRE You got MOVING - I count it as a win :)

@Geostache Overall, I was pleased. I was supposed to go for a bike ride yesterday but cancelled it due to rain. I ended up going for a walk when the weather cleared up. It was still drizzling so didn't want to go far from home. Nearby, there is an overpass across our local expressway. Took my doggy there and we ran UP the ramp, walked across and down, then turned around and ran UP again. So - a walk/jog. We did this for about a half hour and my poor doggy was getting TIRED by the end although I still had some energy. (the good part about my increased activity? My doggy is also returning to his svelte self. My 11 lb mini poodle had ballooned into a 15 lb fat dog!) The skies cleared up at this point so we went on a 1 hr walk through the neighborhood. I had been tempted to return home, but the red numbers on MFP were glaring at me, pushing me to keep moving. I was thrilled to go home and find I had burned just enough calories to cancel out all the extra calories. A perfectly balanced day, ending at "0". Yay!

@alsoknownasDean It's NEVER too late! Glad to have you here! You were obviously super successful last time. What worked for you then? Anything you'd change up this time around?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #628 on: May 11, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »
@RedmondStash & @Frugal Lizard: sorry to hear you are not feeling your best.

@elaine amj:

checking in.  2 1/2 days into the challenge & I have tracked every bite.

Weight had jumped up about 4 pounds due to just eating poorly, slipping back into old bad habits.  I've turned the boat around once again.  It's embarrassing to write down some of the things I eat. So tracking is having the intended effect of keeping me on track with eating.  So far so good!

Edit to say that I've seen about 2 pounds drop off again; it was probably water weight from high-sodium restaurant meals.  It would be nice if the other 2 do the same over the next couple days.

Edit #2: soda count - 1

Checking in again...Continuing to do well with tracking & weighing every day.  A few more ounces have dropped off the scale; I hope I've seen the last of the water weight for a while.  I think this plan is keeping me accountable. I've also started walking 1 1/2 miles with the group from the office at lunch time.  Made it out twice this week.

soda count - 2

Still tracking all food & weighing daily.  I have been more active, walking 1.5 miles at lunch twice last week & once so far this week.  Also walk/jog 2 miles after work with my sister twice since the beginning of May.  I think this is causing increased hunger, as I have been eating more over the last few days in response to feeling more hungry.  As long as I don't go overboard, this is OK.

Currently STARVING.  The office manager decided to order pizza for all of us.  She came back around later & said it would be here at 12:30.  It's 12:45 and there is no food here.  I can usually reign in my pizza binge at work due to the shame of "what would coworkers think if I ate 1/4 of a pizza", but if I'm this hungry...well, I'm worried.

soda count - 3
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:59:04 PM by oneday »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #629 on: May 11, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »
Checking in from a work trip so I'm a bit late this week.

Managed to fit in my smoothies last week! Victory!

Am travelling this week so no green smoothies but have managed to keep my meals to sushi rolls and salads, and only one bagel for breakfast. Feeling pretty good and will be back home tomorrow where I have a tomato, spinach and feta crustless quiche planned for dinner. Still have not weighed myself but I swear my horrible belly bloat is receding and my skinnies are fitting better.

I'm looking to catching up on everyone's posts on the plane tomorrow!

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #630 on: May 11, 2016, 05:27:19 PM »
Mid week check in
2 great days, one bad.

I decided to take it day by day, if I think in weeks, it's easy to rationalise, that I can eat this because I'll cut back tomorrow. Not happening.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: May 11, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
Feeling much better today.  Got out in the garden and was digging and hauling after a good night of sleep. 
No snacking today and no urges to snack.  Am getting busier at work and between the garden and the kitchen reno, my time is fully occupied.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:04 PM »
@oneday Ugh - pizza and feeling starved dont go well together.

@Frugal Lizard What an awesome report!!!

I did ok today - planned my day carefully and stuck to plan. But, in the evening...ate a handful of veggie straws plus some naan bread crusts that I did not track or log. This is what's been killing my numbers over the past week. Must get more strict again.

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #633 on: May 11, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

@Geostache- so true with the saying. It's hard to say no to yourself but you just have to remember your priorities

@elaine amj- good that you have this awareness and can nip it in the bud!

@Frugal Lizard- nice! isn't it funny how when you are busy, your cravings suddenly get fewer? Hope it stays like that!

@Bee21- It's good to think in days but be compassionate when something slips- you're only human and you're in it for the long haul.

For me, today is a major carb craving day. I worked out this morning, had a smoothie, coffee (my usual breakfast) but then decided to indulge with a slice of pumpernickel bread with jam. Felt way too full after that...but starving by 11am. Was excited for a Starbucks salad, but at 11am, they hadn't put them out yet. Went and rationalized a ham and cheese bread thingy instead, and then also got the salad. I ate both too fast and am not satisfied. Would eat all of the pineapple buns in Hong Kong right now if I could! Will go home today and freeze the pumpernickel bread. I've been working my way through a loaf by myself and having bread everyday is making me crave more bread. I'll save it for hubby when he comes home on Sunday.

I can't tell how many more slip ups I'll have today, but it feels dangerous. I'll try to balance out with plenty of water. Wish me luck!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #634 on: May 12, 2016, 05:44:42 AM »
I think I've turned down dessert at least once every two days since I decided I was going to lose weight before eating it.

Now that I'm aware of it, apparently I have lots of opportunity to eat (and overeat...) dessert!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: May 12, 2016, 05:59:36 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 - 135

Write down everything I eat in my food journal: almost there
No eating at the counter or out of the container or from the buffet:  yes
Sit down with food served on dishes in the dining room - no tv on:  yes
Serve food in the kitchen buffet style: yes
No cleaning off the kids plates: yes
No juice: 1 very diluted juice
No pop:  yes
Only really good food:  yes
2/3 of meal to be veg or fruit:  approaching target, am doing half most meals except breakfast
No snacking at the computer:  yes and no snacking in front of the tv

Other initiatives:  I am getting way more exercise gardening / landscaping / urban farming  (gardening sounds too much like a delicate pink glove activity for what I am doing)  I wreck at least one pair of leather gloves each season. 
I finished reading Foodist : totally recommend it to all.  It has really helped me say no to sweets and that snack before dinner.  I also like the idea that you can increase your energy use slightly without your body noticing and needing to load on for the increase energy about - NEAT.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: May 12, 2016, 07:48:20 AM »
Some great work here, everyone! It's helpful to see both the struggles and the progress.

Yesterday, I ate everything that wasn't nailed down, but in reasonable amounts. Much snacking, many sweets. I don't think I even saw a vegetable. But the weird digestive thing is easing up, so I'm hoping to get back in the mindfulness saddle soon, and I don't think I've done too much damage to my progress. I have some fatigue issues, and when I'm tired, I eat more, and when I'm sick, I'm more tired. Lovely vicious circle. At least I now know that reducing fatigue increases my ability to say "no" to tempting foods.

What is this Foodist thing people have mentioned?

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #637 on: May 12, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
You guys. I am not as flaky as I appear to be, I swear.

My nearly week-long absence can be attributed to illness that is now fortunately clearing up. Ear infection for the kiddo, a cold for DH, and a cold and pink eye for me. Today is my first day back at work since last Friday, so needless to say, it's been a bit nuts.

That said, I am recommitted to the May Challenge with this behind me, even though I have technically failed it by missing out on all the things I said I wanted to do. But hey, I was sick, and there isn't a lot I can do about that. I have accepted that I will not be wearing a bikini when I go to Mexico in a couple weeks, but I am optimistic that maybe I can pull one off when I go to Hawaii in July. :-)

There are two upshots from last week though: I got a Fitbit Flex for Mother's Day AND I am back under 125:

Weight Progress:
- 1/10: 133 pounds
- 2/22: 128 pounds
- 3/25: 123.6 pounds
- 4/28: 124.4 pounds
- 5/2: 125.0 pounds
- 5/12: 123.8 pounds

Goal Weight: 110 pounds

Also @oneday, I absolutely loved your expedition analogy. It rings so true.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #638 on: May 12, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »
The Foodist sounds interesting.  Is this the same author that runs the youtube channel for The Summer Tomato?  I don't remember off hand.  I watched the episode under Summer Tomato this morning on Habit Forming, Habit Breaking, Epi #3, I found it interesting.  It was just that, breaking and creating new habits.  She also mentioned a book called Switch, which is about breaking habits, which can be hard.  It is definitely a mindset change.  I am going to look into that book as well.

I was glad I found it this morning because last night, I packed up a lot of food for Stamp out Hunger that is run by the Post Office and it helped get some things under control. I just cant have all of this stuff around. It overwhelms me.  It wasn't just junkie food, actually, the only junkie food I put in there was popcorn. I would of put more, but everything else is open.  Too bad, otherwise, it would of went in the bag. Then, I put most of the things I keep in sight in cabinets.  If they are not in sight, I forget about them for the most part.  So, finding that episode really helps because I don't want to go to the store and find myself in the same place again.  Which is usually what happens.  I am going to listen to it and others everyday until I feel I am no longer at the will of the grocery store.  She mentioned other sites as well that I am going to look into.  One I think is Nutritional Diva, but I haven't ventured there yet. I ran out of time this morning.

I have failed the May challenge for the most part.  There were too many events the beginning of the month.....but I am starting over again today and will follow it through until the middle of June.   But, actually, really carry it forward as a lifestyle change.

Just say no!!!!!!! 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #639 on: May 12, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »
I think I've turned down dessert at least once every two days since I decided I was going to lose weight before eating it.

Now that I'm aware of it, apparently I have lots of opportunity to eat (and overeat...) dessert!

Isn't that funny how it happens.  So many times I say, I will have it today and start tomorrow, and it has been years in the making. 

Everyone seems like the they are doing good.  Whether it is losing a few lbs or just being aware to the temptation around.  It is everywhere.

Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:26:07 AM by alleykat »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #640 on: May 12, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
@Frugal Lizard I took a peek at what Foodist is all about and it looked interesting. I liked the mindset of focusing on nutritious foods. I like that my current plans allow me junk without too much guilt, but as part of my overall mindfulness towards health, I was to pack in things that are nutritious for my body.

Recently, DH suggested I stop the weight loss thing temporarily since our lives are crazy right now. I considered it, but found I absolutely cannot do it. Everything in me just screamed that I can NOT stop now. Interesting - considering that in the past, I would have latched on to any excuse to take a break. It's like I flicked a light switch and it's different somehow this time around. So, crazy lives and completely inconvenient timing and all, I'm going to just keep swimming :)

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #641 on: May 12, 2016, 03:10:21 PM »
Folks, let's share inspirational books, websites, blogs about successful weightloss. Like something which totally changed the way you eat or think about food.

My problem is not really junk but overeating the good stuff. I cook too well for my own good. The best thing i read was the book which shows life size pictures of portions. Half a sausage anyone?

Sometimes i think i read every weightloss book in the library. One of my favourites is an australian author Andrew cate's Lighten up, which has a weightloss tip for every day of the year, all v sensibleand science based. I also found useful from the portion control perspective The 21 day wonder diet ( an other aussie classic). I just don't understand why every recipe makes 2-4 portions. Seriously. I can make them and eat them allllllll. Who can cook only one lamb cutlet?

Tawcan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tawcan
« Reply #642 on: May 12, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
Not sure how I didn't find this thread before. I've tried Whole30 before and that did wonder to my weight. Went from about 175 lbs to 160 lbs but I've gained a bit since then. Lately I've been just been following this - eat until I'm 70% full. I've been able to lose about 5 lbs in 3 months without changing any of my exercise routines.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #643 on: May 12, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
Welcome Tawcan

Redmond Stache:  Foodist is a book by the person behind Summer Tomato.  I think I posted the subtitle back a bit.  It is about losing weight without dieting per say.  totally worth the read. 
I also found Thin by Design good.  Foodist author mentions Brian Wansink's research several times.

I am now curious to read some of the books about habits and willpower that were quoted in Foodist.

Elaine: you may not want to eat junk after reading the Foodist.  Good for you with sticking to the plan.
Microspice:  you just get back on this horse as you can. 
Bee21:  I cook to well for my own good to but today I made an entire kale plant into dinner - 3/4 of a plate was just veg.  All that chewing made me pretty full.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #644 on: May 12, 2016, 05:50:41 PM »
Redmond Stache:  Foodist is a book by the person behind Summer Tomato.  I think I posted the subtitle back a bit.  It is about losing weight without dieting per say.  totally worth the read. 
I also found Thin by Design good.  Foodist author mentions Brian Wansink's research several times.

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: May 12, 2016, 06:30:48 PM »
 I really liked the Hacker's Diet. http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/  Trendweight was created based on it. It felt very sensible, no wild theories. The guy is a computer programmer and is encouraging, real, positive, and doesn't let u dwell in a complainypants mode. I also liked his sense of humor. The book is free and I read it online bouncing around between chapters (I started reading it to understand trendweight and eventually read just about the whole thing). I also liked that he spent a chunk of time discussing a successful maintenance phase.

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #646 on: May 12, 2016, 09:10:07 PM »
There is also a Summer Tomato podcast that I've been listening to. (I didn't know she had a youtube channel. I'll check it out). I like it because there are real people on there with struggles, not only success stories.

The most important thing I took away from the book is to start by adding more good stuff, not trying to take away bad stuff at list. It really helped me see healthy eating in a better way. We think that we eat healthy, but really, we may not be eating as many good things as we think. That and we really should not be eating junk food.

I am down .5 today to 168 from a plateau of 168.5 this week, hopefully it continues!

A

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #647 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:19 AM »
I might go as far as saying that both Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan changed my life. I grew up in a house with YoYo dieters who cooked everything out of boxes and cans.

When I started eating "healthy" post college it was all frozen weight watchers meals and cans of low sodium broth soups. I read OD in 2007 or so and began to learn to cook from scratch. Honestly my weight stabilized (my which I mean that I maintained 142-147 with almost no effort) right around the same time.

I've been meaning to revisit his books (including Cooked) to get my head on straight again and stop the weight creep.

Blue Zones and Fast Food Nation have also really shaped how I look at health and the food industrial complex.

@frugal lizard - I'm on the wait list for Thin by Design and I'm looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:03:51 PM by StarBright »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: May 13, 2016, 08:20:36 AM »
Friday weigh-in

Jan 1 2016: 154 lbs....Jan 8 2016: 153.2 lbs....Jan 15 2016:149.2 lbs....Jan 22 2016: 148 lbs....Jan 29 2016....147.4 lbs
Feb 5 2016: 145.2 lbs..Feb 12 2016: 142.8 lbs..Feb 19 2016: 140.6 lbs...Feb 26 2016: 140.8 lbs
Mar 4 2016: 139 lbs....Mar 11 2016: 138 lbs.....Mar 18 2016: VACAY......Mar 25 2016: 136.8 lbs
Apr 1 2016: 137.8 lbs..Apr 8 2016: 136.8 lbs....Apr 15 2016: 135.8 lbs...Apr 22 2016: 134.8 lbs...April 30 2016: 133.6 lbs
May 6, 2016:133.6 lbs.May 13 2016:134.6 lbs

19.4 lbs lost
GOAL WEIGHT: 130 lbs

I'm a little annoyed. I've kept my calories in balance all week. It took until yesterday to drop back to last Friday's weight. And today, I bounced up an entire pound. I know its just normal fluctuations, but I did expect to end the week with a loss from last week instead of a 1 lb gain. To top it off, trendweight is showing just a 0.5 lb loss a week - much slower than I like.

For the last few months, I have been eating back all my exercise calories and the math has been working pretty precisely for me. I wonder if my overall conditioning is improving and that as I've dropped the weight and exercised more, I'm burning less calories during my workouts? I've stepped up my workouts and kept my calories in balance but still have slowed my weight loss. I am going to cut this back to just 75% of my exercise calories and see if I can get back to a 1 lb a week loss. I've been stuck for almost a month now. And its annoying since I want to take advantage of my increased activity.

On the good side, I have been getting out every single day this week. Yesterday, my bff and I went on a great 80 min bike ride. If it doesn't rain this Sunday, we are going to push it to 2 hours. We only have a few more weeks to get ready for our 100km ride. Tonight, my DD and I will go for a short kayaking session. After that, she goes to play mini golf and I'll take a 2 hour walk while waiting for her.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: May 13, 2016, 08:24:37 AM »
I'm a little annoyed. I've kept my calories in balance all week. It took until yesterday to drop back to last Friday's weight. And today, I bounced up an entire pound. I know its just normal fluctuations, but I did expect to end the week with a loss from last week instead of a 1 lb gain. To top it off, trendweight is showing just a 0.5 lb loss a week - much slower than I like.

I know it's frustrating, but when you look at all you've accomplished in less than 5 months, it's pretty impressive. You're getting to where you want to go.

It's possible that your body is in better condition and thus uses fewer calories when you exercise. It's also possible that your daily caloric needs have dropped since your weight has dropped. Cutting back some on the exercise-based calories sounds like a solid idea. Good luck!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!