Author Topic: Lose 10% or More of Your Body Weight in 2017  (Read 119085 times)

BabyShark

• Bristles
Re: Lose 10% or More of Your Body Weight in 2017
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
what are you using for BF baby shark?  electric handheld?

The Fitbit Aria scale. It's allegedly not terribly inaccurate.

i have a scale one and the handheld bio electric impedence meters they are almost 4% BF different with the scale being much lower ... but i'm tall and have thin legs so i dont know if that effects it. but my opinion is it doesnt really matter as long as its progressing down from a start point and you're doing it at the same time every day (morning is best for consistency i've found.  b/c one glass of water will drop my BF % by 2%

Yea, that's my thought too boarder, the data is cool to have, and I like to see trends but if it's totally wrong, it's not going to shake my world view.  Apparently Fitbit sends electric pulses through you or something to figure out BF.  I really only got the Aria because DH and I already had fitbits and it's nice to have everything in one place.  I'm debating upgrading my Fitbit One to one of those with a HR monitor, just so I have the additional data, but they're so big and bulky.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »

i have a scale one and the handheld bio electric impedence meters they are almost 4% BF different with the scale being much lower ... but i'm tall and have thin legs so i dont know if that effects it. but my opinion is it doesnt really matter as long as its progressing down from a start point and you're doing it at the same time every day (morning is best for consistency i've found.  b/c one glass of water will drop my BF % by 2%

Yea, that's my thought too boarder, the data is cool to have, and I like to see trends but if it's totally wrong, it's not going to shake my world view.  Apparently Fitbit sends electric pulses through you or something to figure out BF.  I really only got the Aria because DH and I already had fitbits and it's nice to have everything in one place.  I'm debating upgrading my Fitbit One to one of those with a HR monitor, just so I have the additional data, but they're so big and bulky.

they both operate that way... its bioelectric impedence.  same tech. though not sure how fitbit works with a single point of contact.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:37 AM »

they both operate that way... its bioelectric impedence.  same tech. though not sure how fitbit works with a single point of contact.

I read somewhere that it's got four plates in it or something, so I'm wondering if there's one point of contact in the front of each foot and one in the back?  Or maybe each foot counts as a point of contact?  The science is far beyond me.

I also use https://trendweight.com which syncs with my Aria as it helps demonstrate my general trend even with my daily fluctuations.  DH found it on Reddit or something and thinks it's cool, I just like when the line goes down.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »
I'm in. Haven't weighed in since last week, but on 1/9 I came in at 340 lbs. Goal weight is 265. So, 22% loss.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
Time for a weigh in.

191  December 24
188  January 1
185  January 8
185  January 15

No loss, so big fail for this week. I will do better in the coming week.

I don't like failure.

For that reason, I decided to try a fast. I just completed a 34 hour water only fast. From 10PM Sunday night (when I had a snack of two apples) to 8:30AM Tuesday morning, nothing but water crossed my lips. The only exceptions were ½ of a 200mg caffeine tablet in the morning, ¼ of same tablet in the afternoon, and 1 melatonin tablet at bedtime Monday night (I don't habitually use melatonin, but I decided it might be hard to sleep through the night on an empty stomach).

I have never fasted before in my life, beyond rarely skipping lunch and once the night before a knee surgery that was decades ago.

The 34 hours weren't as nearly bad as I thought it would be, although I came close to caving in around dinner time.

I've heard good things about the health benefits of 24 hour fasts, so I may try to make a weekly thing of it.

Is anyone else here fasting as part of their diet?

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
Time for a weigh in.

191  December 24
188  January 1
185  January 8
185  January 15

No loss, so big fail for this week. I will do better in the coming week.

I don't like failure.

For that reason, I decided to try a fast. I just completed a 34 hour water only fast. From 10PM Sunday night (when I had a snack of two apples) to 8:30AM Tuesday morning, nothing but water crossed my lips. The only exceptions were ½ of a 200mg caffeine tablet in the morning, ¼ of same tablet in the afternoon, and 1 melatonin tablet at bedtime Monday night (I don't habitually use melatonin, but I decided it might be hard to sleep through the night on an empty stomach).

I have never fasted before in my life, beyond rarely skipping lunch and once the night before a knee surgery that was decades ago.

The 34 hours weren't as nearly bad as I thought it would be, although I came close to caving in around dinner time.

I've heard good things about the health benefits of 24 hour fasts, so I may try to make a weekly thing of it.

I've only fasted for religious holidays and did the same thing with the caffeine pill, but I'm definitely interested in hearing how it goes for you on a more regular basis, especially in regards to weight loss. I'd also argue that not losing anything after two straight weeks of 3 lb weight losses isn't failing, you're still averaging 2 lbs/week, which I'd love to do consistently.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »

[/quote]
Update: reduced  sugar this week. Going for no sugar for upcoming week.
[/quote]

Update: Failed on no sugar, but kept it low. For this week will still keep the focus on no/low sugar. Maybe mix in some intermittent fasting.
12/28 - 153
01/06 - 150
01/17 -  150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
I've been waiting for one of these for 2017. I'm at 185 lbs. I'd like to get down to my freshman year college weight of 150~155  lbs.

I just restarted my weight lifting. I just did a week of consistently eating my macros at 175 Carbs, 40 Fat, 175 Protein. I'm going to begin to slowly reduce the carbohydrates whenever my weekly weigh-ins becomes stagnant.

A few things that I hope to become more consistent is to plan meals a day ahead. Keep it simply and healthy. I'll schedule cheat meals/days in advance. If I feel socially obligated to join someone to eat out, I'll make sure I'm relatively full.

Update:

I was wrong on my initial weight. So I had to take two steps back, but I made up for it.

1/2 - 189.8
1/9 - 189.7 (weighed in at the end of the day)
1/16 - 186.3

1/17 And this morning: 185.9

I'm trying not to weigh too often which has been working okay now.

I've been lifting weights and watching calories/macros. So far turkey chili has been my greatest weapon.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »

I've only fasted for religious holidays and did the same thing with the caffeine pill, but I'm definitely interested in hearing how it goes for you on a more regular basis, especially in regards to weight loss. I'd also argue that not losing anything after two straight weeks of 3 lb weight losses isn't failing, you're still averaging 2 lbs/week, which I'd love to do consistently.

The worst thing I've heard about fasting is the risk of losing weight by muscle loss instead of (or along with) fat loss.

The list of good is pretty impressive, although unfortunately most of it is from animal models such as mice and monkeys.

The (alleged) good from regular (at least once a week) fasting:

Extended life span.
Reduced risk of cancer.
Reduced cholesterol.
Reduced risk of stroke and heart attack.
Reduced risk of Alzheimer’s.

And of course, reduced weight.

If I fast again I will post that along with my weekly weigh in.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »
Weigh-in time

January 3  -- 287 lbs
January 6  -- 284 lbs
January 16 -- 283 lbs

So, down four pounds so far (1.4%).

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2017, 09:08:42 PM »
Update
12/27: 198.4
1/3: 193.0
1/10: 190.6

1/17: 188.2

Down 5.1%

chrisviola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2017, 05:56:36 AM »
I'm in. 231.8 as of 1/18. Looking to get down to 200.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2017, 06:09:16 AM »
So the diet i follow i've done before and on and off for over 4 years now ...

i started at 235 in aug 2012 and got down to around 190 at the end of that dec 2012 before spending 4 months on the road for work and heading back up to 215.  i've sea sawed back and forth never really hitting my top value again over the last 4 years. 

But the one thing i've noticed b/c i track my weight daily, and my diet involves one eat whatever you want day. 

When i started the diet 4 years ago by wednesday i would be back at the weight i was the previous week prior to cheat day.  That has slowly moved.  and now its thursday when i hit that weight.  So today i'm 204.4 which is what my weight was on friday morning of last week. 

This all has slowed the weight loss i get on this diet from 5 lbs a week to 3 lbs a week.

I think there are two factors attributing to it.
1. my age and my metabolism slowing
2. my body is adapting to the diet i follow so its not losing weight as fast.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2017, 06:27:34 AM »
I was 163,  am 160 now. So, haven't lost anymore. My weight fluctuates a bit but I have at least maintained 160. Getting more mindful what I eat everyday and I love it.

ZagNation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2017, 04:54:08 PM »
Count me in as well. Weighed in at 249.4lb on 1/8 and 245.6lb on 1/15 (today I am 244.6lbs). I have an upcoming trip to Austin, TX for the MotoGP race in April and I'd like to get down to ~215lb by then. The regiment I am following has me dropping my weight based upon a percentage, 1%, on a weekly basis. I'll provide weekly weigh-ins in the future and if I average a loss of 2.5lb per week I should reach my initial target.

Weigh In (lbs)
1/8: 249.4
1/15: 245.6

SoCal Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
Little late to the party, but I'm in!

Current weight 183
Desired weight 165 (almost a 10% drop, 164.7 would be the precise number)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2017, 07:46:16 PM »
I'm in. I tip the scales at 175-180 lbs, depending on the day. Let us round up to 18 lbs lost.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2017, 02:13:10 AM »

[/quote]

Starting weight 204lbs :(. So, that's just over 30lbs to go..........

Planning on a mixture of healthy eating and exercise - mainly walking, aiming on an average of 10,000 steps a day.
[/quote]

Now 203lbs. Well, it's a start, right?

-0.5%

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2017, 07:35:52 AM »
I'm in.  Weighted myself 2 days ago, I was 228 (I've been fluctuating around 230).  I'm 6'4, so while I'm overweight, it's not super obvious.  I was 180 almost 2 years ago, and had a lot of health issues since.  If I was at 100% that would be my goal, but 200 with some of my muscle back would be fantastic.  My biggest hurdle will be saying no to the snacks at the office.
So 12/27: 228
1/12: 220

I stopped snacking as much, and there wasn't food brought in between Christmas and New Years (hardly anyone was at work), so it was easy to say no.  Now that it's being brought in again I've made a rule that I can have two bites, but no more.  So I'm cutting things in pieces, but it's easier than saying no outright.
1/19: 218 - slowing down, but still progress

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2017, 07:50:41 AM »
1/19: 327 (3.8% loss)

Down 13 pounds in 10 days. Haven't really been trying very hard, just haven't been stuffing myself like I did over Christmas. Wife's birthday party is this weekend, then I'll be treating my diet like a contest prep cut. 280g protein, 50g carbs, 100g fat. 265 lbs is happening this year. No excuses.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
I'm in.

Start weight: 151lb (1/3)
Goal weight: 135lb

That would put me at my college graduation weight. Last year I got down to 143 at some point, then packed it back on while traveling and over the holidays.

I agree with whoever said exercise is a keystone habit for them. Even though I know it's not nearly as important as diet for weight loss, when I don't work out I feel meh and eat less healthy. When I work out consistently, that endorphin injection keeps my mood up and makes it easier to make good choices.

Currently doing a Whole 30 so won't weigh in until Feb 2nd.

Kudos to those of you who have made progress already :)

Does anybody else have a Fitbit and is interested in weekly or weekend challenges?

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »
Just learned my blood sugar is now 6.8 mmo/l with 7.0 being diabetic level so I'm in for 10% less weight, along with other changes like increased activity.

I'm currently 155lbs so aiming for 140.

I eat a healthy diet but clearly the calories in / out ratio needs to change.  I'm going to focus on portion sizes; protein, carb, vegetable ratios on the plate; and keeping a food journal. Hate keeping a journal but I think tracking will be key for me.  Will help keep me honest!

I'll also walk at least 30 min per day, mostly as part of my commute, and add a couple of HIIT routines per week.

That all sounds so easy, doesn't it?  And yet...  Good thing I'm scared of my GP and want her approval when I test again in 3 months.

Good luck to us all!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »
Just learned my blood sugar is now 6.8 mmo/l with 7.0 being diabetic level so I'm in for 10% less weight, along with other changes like increased activity.

I eat a healthy diet but clearly the calories in / out ratio needs to change.  I'm going to focus on portion sizes; protein, carb, vegetable ratios on the plate; and keeping a food journal. Hate keeping a journal but I think tracking will be key for me.  Will help keep me honest!

I'll also walk at least 30 min per day, mostly as part of my commute, and add a couple of HIIT routines per week.

That all sounds so easy, doesn't it?  And yet...  Good thing I'm scared of my GP and want her approval when I test again in 3 months.

Good luck to us all!

Hey Moustachienne, have you read much about using low carb diets to control blood glucose levels, and halt pre-diabetes? Both my parents are diabetic, and I show a few signs of developing the same disease. Needless to say, researching how to avoid it has been one of my great interests. I can definitively say low carb has improved all my metabolic markers: waistline, cholesterol ratios, blood glucose, and blood pressure.

I know my story is anecdata, and that personal ways of eating are becoming almost like religions. I'm not trying to preach. I though you might want to do your own research, if you haven't already.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2017, 11:14:42 PM »
Advice taken as intended, Sailor Sam, thanks.  :).
Yes, low carb can be a good approach.  I like a low glycemic carb focus.  I think the research is pretty clear that highly refined and quickly digested carbs are best avoided or at least limited. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2017, 06:07:00 AM »

Good luck to us all!

Hey Moustachienne, have you read much about using low carb diets to control blood glucose levels, and halt pre-diabetes? Both my parents are diabetic, and I show a few signs of developing the same disease. Needless to say, researching how to avoid it has been one of my great interests. I can definitively say low carb has improved all my metabolic markers: waistline, cholesterol ratios, blood glucose, and blood pressure.

I know my story is anecdata, and that personal ways of eating are becoming almost like religions. I'm not trying to preach. I though you might want to do your own research, if you haven't already.

Agreed. Fruits and carbs are not necessary ESP if you're pre diabetic. Such a common misconception the food pyramid is made by the Dept of agriculture. Not the surgeon general. What do you think their main goal is. It's not nutrition for humans. It's to sell the food the farms are producing. 

After switching to low carb my sugar and try's are thru the roof awesome.

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2017, 03:51:00 AM »
Weigh in day for me.  Down 2 more pounds to 279 from a start of 294 on 12/28. Very pleased so far. Need to up my activity level this week.  Good luck to all. 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
I'm in too.  I'm 7.5 months post partum, and although I got down to my pre-pregnancy weight at ~ month 4, I regained 10 lbs.  Partially this is due to the holidays and everyone having delicious treats at work (and my lack of willpower), but also baby Chaskavitch doesn't sleep through the night AT ALL, and I eat more junk food when I'm groggy.  Since I'm up every 45 minutes - 2.5 hours, I'm groggy all the time, basically, which means if there are carbs, they're being eaten.

I'm currently at 149, so I'd like to get down to about 135.  I'm going to do my best to cut out snacking between meals, and I'm going to plan out dinners every week so we don't default to pasta with bread or buying pizza next door.  Also, I'm trying to get to at least one HIIT class a week, do ~50 pushups a day, and go for a walk with baby every weekend day that it is warm enough for him - we'll say above 30 degrees F with very little wind. 

My weight/squishy-ness is mostly from eating too much, but when I work out and make an effort, it is easier to say no to bad things, because I feel like I'm ruining my hard work :)  Someday I'll put aside the extra money to buy myself a barbell and some bumper plates, and then I'll just do deadlifts every day, and it will be amazing.

I'll try weekly weigh-ins on Sundays.

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »

Good luck to us all!

To add more anecdotal evidence, I have found the same thing is true for me. Every single person on my dad's side has diabetes, and I show a few signs of developing it, including insulin resistance and needing to keep blood sugar relatively level throughout the day or I'll crash.

Low-carb has been the way I'm losing weight, plus I feel MUCH better. Then once I stuck to a low-carb diet for a while, I have become even more aware of when I was eating sugar throughout the day and the fact that I felt my blood sugar race when I did. So, I still eat things with sugar with them, but I'm much more careful than I was about making it count for really delicious things and combining it with protein when I do.

I hope you find something that works for you!

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »
Time for the weekly weigh in.

191  December 24
188  January 1
185  January 8
185  January 15
184  January 22

Only one pound lost, but it beats no loss at all.

It was a tough week, cravings were bad. I was dying for sweet trash (donuts, cake, ice cream, etc.). I have to abstain entirely because no way I have the self control to have one doughnut, one slice of cake, one small dish of ice cream. If I have one bite, I will overeat.

I almost bought a Vitamix at Costco this week. They were on sale with and had a demo person. I'm a little weird, I normally don't touch any free food samples. But I stuck around as she demoed soup, fruit and vegetable smoothies, and some fruity alcoholic mixed drink (minus the alcohol) that I don't recall the name of.

I've got to say, the strawberry banana fruit smoothie was almost as good as full fat ice cream, and whole lot healthier.

supermustacheman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »

just starting today: 

weight: 188.4 lbs.  10% down gets me to around 170.

approach for this week is to incorporate bulletproof coffee and kim snyder's glowing green smoothies and bone broth.

nice job getting vitamix FIRE.  whenever i have been in shape, it's been a great asset.  hope to get back to using mine.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
I weighed my self first thing this morning. Well, I peed first, but you get the idea. 171 lbs.

That's within the variance; not sure if I'm losing weight. I haven't done anything specifically aimed at diet and exercise, BUT the Uber Frugal January challenge has changed my food purchasing habits. Less junk, more stuff from scratch, no restaurant meals.

If UFJ is making me drop weight, then hoorah. One of my 2017 goals is to dial in my grocery buying. It would be awesome to drop 10% as a side-effect, without ever having to spend energy specifically thinking about weight control.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2017, 03:33:54 PM »

just starting today: 

weight: 188.4 lbs.  10% down gets me to around 170.

approach for this week is to incorporate bulletproof coffee and kim snyder's glowing green smoothies and bone broth.

nice job getting vitamix FIRE.  whenever i have been in shape, it's been a great asset.  hope to get back to using mine.

Welcome aboard supermustacheman, here's hoping you reach your goal easily.

I didn't buy the Vitamix. I just did some serious tire kicking.

I plan to get one eventually but I'm putting it off at least until July for two reasons.

First, in December I spent $300 on a rolling stainless steel tool chest from Costco. I like to put at least six months or so between voluntary major purchases (I arbitrarily count anything over $100 to be a major purchase).

Second, if I wait until July, the Chase Freedom Visa 5% cash back should be back. Beats the 2% that the Citi Costco card pays.

ZagNation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
Count me in as well. Weighed in at 249.4lb on 1/8 and 245.6lb on 1/15 (today I am 244.6lbs). I have an upcoming trip to Austin, TX for the MotoGP race in April and I'd like to get down to ~215lb by then. The regiment I am following has me dropping my weight based upon a percentage, 1%, on a weekly basis. I'll provide weekly weigh-ins in the future and if I average a loss of 2.5lb per week I should reach my initial target.

Weigh In (lbs)
1/8: 249.4
1/15: 245.6
1/22: 244.2

My nutrition the past week wasn't as dialed in as I would have liked and there was zero cardio, just heavy lifting. This is a new week and a fresh start to be even more disciplined. The four days that I spend lifting will include a brief cardio session directly afterwards. Hopefully the scale will be more generous on 1/29.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2017, 06:52:27 AM »
Weighing in because y'all are going to help be my accountabilibuddies:

Monday, January 2, 2017
Weight: 156.9 lbs
% Body Fat: 37.7
BMI: 28.7

Monday, January 9, 2017
Weight: 152.3 lbs
% Body Fat: 38.3
BMI: 27.9

Monday, January 16, 2017
Weight: 149.4
% Body Fat: 36.8
BMI: 27.3

Weigh-In Time once again

Monday, January 23, 2017
Weight: 149.4
% Body Fat: 36.5
BMI: 27.3

I'm disappointed I didn't lose anything this week, but based on the rest of the week, I'm just glad I wasn't up any.  I'm not really supposed to be weighing in while on Whole30 but oh well.  I'm back to walking/running after being sick so I'm hoping that'll help jump start the weight loss again.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
01-22 - 130  - actually the line for 130 was completely visible beside the red needle of the scale so it is actually less!
01-15 - 132.
01-08 - 132.

Goal:  120

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:26:49 AM by Frugal Lizard »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:40 AM »
wasnt home this weekend to weigh in.

also heading out on the road this week for work.  hoping i can maintain the diet but it will be rough.

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
Time to weigh in.....

148.8 - January 16
147.0 - January 23

1.8 lbs gone this week.

supermustacheman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:53 PM »
hi FIRE-

thanks for info on Chase Freedom 5% Visa.  I have to look into that one.  I signed up for another interesting one, the Amazon Prime 5% Visa with 5% cash back on all Prime purchases, since I have three kids, we use Amazon all the time.  Might be worth a look, but I think you Mustachians might be on top of this this one already.  Right now, I use the Citibank 2% cash back on everything card for most items and the Amazon card on Amazon.com.

so far, so good, lost .2 pounds after joining the mustache community!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »
Weighed in this morning:

1/03/17 - 272
1/24/17 - 268,

so far down about 4 lbs in the new year.  Down about 11 since November when I seriously focused on improving my diet.

Keep up the good work everybody!

MinimalistMark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2017, 07:58:41 AM »
A bit late on this, but I'm in! Starting at 255lbs. Six month goal 225lbs. I'll reevaluate at that point.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
I'm in. Currently 135# and would like to get to 120# (short stature), so just over 10%.

Plan to increase protein and veggies, decrease sweets/carbs, prioritize exercise.

Glad to see a fellow shortie here. 10% would take me down to 106-107, which is a good weight for me (was last there maybe 5-6 years ago). Same plans as you.

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2017, 08:29:43 AM »
I intend to lose 10% or more of my body weight in 2017.

Currently I am 191 pounds. My goal is to reach 170 pounds. I will be FIRE'd as of January 4, 2017 so I am hopeful that this will be a good time to make a genuine lifestyle change as opposed to the usual cycle of gain and then lose, gain, lose, lather, rinse and repeat.

My motivation is to better my odds of staying healthy by reducing my blood pressure, the risk of stroke, heart attack, and Diabetes, all of which unfortunately run in my extended family.

I will post updated stats weekly, or at least every two weeks. But may post more frequently to discuss diet and general strategy if anyone else is interested.

Anyone else in?

I'm in brother. Ironically I am exactly the same starting weight as you as of two days ago, didn't weigh since then.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »
I'm in.  Currently at 217, aiming for 195 by the end of the year.

Last year I concentrated hard on getting my exercise level up, and was very happy with my results on that front.  Resting heart rate is now at about 50 bpm, I ride my bike almost everyday, hit the the climbing gym once or twice, did a lot of running over the summer, etc.  I'm mixing in some weights as well now.  Zero weight gain/loss during the year, but I feel much better and am much stronger.  I almost never get sore from a work out any more, which I attribute to the much improved cardio function from all the biking.

Past experience was that ramping up exercise and dieting at the same time always derailed me.  So I am aiming to hold the exercise flat and ramp down the shoveling of chow into the food hole.  I cut out soda a couple months ago, and I am ramping down beer from 1/day to 2/week.  I now need to cut back on taking thirds, and maybe even seconds at dinner.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »

1/1 165
1/11 162.4  down 1.6%

However, my weight naturally swings between 160 to 165 so I think I'm just doing the easy part now.
It's getting below 160 that will be more challenging.

Cut out sweets almost entirely and tried limiting snacks with some success.

Been enjoying almonds and dried fruit as a healthy snack and today just dipped below 160!

1/1 165
1/11 162.4  -2.6 lbs, -1.6%
1/25 159.8  -5.2lbs, -3.1%
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:16:27 PM by CCCA »

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
hi FIRE-

thanks for info on Chase Freedom 5% Visa.  I have to look into that one.  I signed up for another interesting one, the Amazon Prime 5% Visa with 5% cash back on all Prime purchases, since I have three kids, we use Amazon all the time.  Might be worth a look, but I think you Mustachians might be on top of this this one already.  Right now, I use the Citibank 2% cash back on everything card for most items and the Amazon card on Amazon.com.

so far, so good, lost .2 pounds after joining the mustache community!

As a matter of fact, I was considering the new 5% Amazon prime visa. It was a bit annoying since I already had an Amazon visa card through Chase that was only 2%.

Then about two weeks ago I got an email from Chase that they are making their Amazon 5% also. So for once, procrastinating on the new card worked out for the best.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »
I intend to lose 10% or more of my body weight in 2017.

Currently I am 191 pounds. My goal is to reach 170 pounds. I will be FIRE'd as of January 4, 2017 so I am hopeful that this will be a good time to make a genuine lifestyle change as opposed to the usual cycle of gain and then lose, gain, lose, lather, rinse and repeat.

My motivation is to better my odds of staying healthy by reducing my blood pressure, the risk of stroke, heart attack, and Diabetes, all of which unfortunately run in my extended family.

I will post updated stats weekly, or at least every two weeks. But may post more frequently to discuss diet and general strategy if anyone else is interested.

Anyone else in?

I'm in brother. Ironically I am exactly the same starting weight as you as of two days ago, didn't weigh since then.

Welcome aboard!

I don't know what it is about 200 pounds, but when I get anywhere near that number my internal alarm really goes off loud.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
Time for an update.  Complete fail on no sugar.  Probably had a chocolate bar every day -- my weakness!! Still keeping the focus on no/low sugar with 2-3 days of intermittent fasting per week. 

12/28 - 153
01/06 - 150
01/17 - 150
01/27 - 149

Goal:  137

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:56:43 PM by Ready2Go »

SoCal Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2017, 07:06:48 PM »
Little late to the party, but I'm in!

Current weight 183
Desired weight 165 (almost a 10% drop, 164.7 would be the precise number)

1/22/17: 181.5

Moving in the right direction!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2017, 07:34:22 AM »
Update:

Start: ~173 (varied around that)
Goal: 155 (prefer 135-145)
Current: 167 (stable for a week)
-3.5%

I'm cautiously hopeful that this will work. Exercise (separate fitness goal) has been mostly off due to an injury. I've been working on portion sizes and food choices.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »
Update
12/27: 198.4
1/3: 193.0
1/10: 190.6
1/17: 188.2

1/24: 188.4

Last year, had a plateau for 2-3 weeks at 187, and actually rose to 190 before I dropped back down. So not surprised by the lack of scale progress this week. I'll keep trucking.