Author Topic: Lose 10% or More of Your Body Weight in 2017  (Read 119075 times)

seemsright

• Bristles
Re: Lose 10% or More of Your Body Weight in 2017
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
I am in too. My number one thing I must control to drop the weight I need to is stress. I stress and I will instantly put on weight. The weight gain is due to 3 years of stress. 2017 is the year of project me. I have everything else in order.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2016, 01:28:26 PM »
I am in too. My number one thing I must control to drop the weight I need to is stress. I stress and I will instantly put on weight. The weight gain is due to 3 years of stress. 2017 is the year of project me. I have everything else in order.

so do you stress eat.  or how exactly does stress add calories to your system.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2016, 01:53:20 PM »

*Note I'm not biochemist or whatever, but here is my understanding.

Prolonged periods of stress can cause insulin resistance, or essentially mimic the symptoms of type 2 diabetes, so the sugar in the blood is not used as energy, but instead stored as fat.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:07:37 PM by Cromacster »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »

Prolonged periods of stress can cause insulin resistance, or essentially mimic the symptoms of type 2 diabetes, so the sugar in the blood is not used as energy, but instead stored as fat.

that makes sense but you still have to be intaking food or you would waste away. so this could be countered by eating a more favorable diet as well as reducing stress. or i would assume by not reducing stress at all.  or every diabeitc would be grossly over weight and i know many in good physical condition.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »

that makes sense but you still have to be intaking food or you would waste away. so this could be countered by eating a more favorable diet as well as reducing stress. or i would assume by not reducing stress at all.  or every diabeitc would be grossly over weight and i know many in good physical condition.

I agree.  Diet and stress both contribute, but high levels of stress make it easier to gain fat mass.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »
I'm in, looking to lose 15% of body weight, will report back with starting weight. Once I've fixed the error on the scales - at present it just says 'one at a time please' ;)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
I'm in, looking to lose 15% of body weight, will report back with starting weight. Once I've fixed the error on the scales - at present it just says 'one at a time please' ;)

That's guaranteed to upset a buyer of the product if they are they only one one the scales... why would a company put that error message there!

I have always wanted to get down to 70kg (healthy weight for me on BMI scale). Currently at 76-77.... so I guess 10% is achievable for me too.

I'm not overweight by any stretch of the imagination, but any and all excess fat deserves to be zapped... especially if losing it will help in achieving fitness goals.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
I am so in.  I tried in 2016 but just couldn't do it.  I think I am finally ready to change my eating.  No diets for me though.  Just better choices.  I still have junk in the house but am trying not bring more home with me.  Holiday treats are gone so that is a good thing.

I am also going to try and commit to exercise.  It is time to get physically fit.  I am uin the worse shape of my life.  It is starting to affect my health.

I am 160 and would like to lose 20 lbs, so 140 here I come.

Good luck everyone.

your diet is anything you eat its only recently been attached to specific things to lose weight.  but having no plan and just "making better choices" often does not work very well.  The human body is a machine and you can curtail the inputs to meet how its meant to function.  exercise is probably only 10% of weightloss and is much more useful at just getting yourself physically in shape not really conducive to weightloss. you can sit on your ass every day and eat an appropriate diet and lose weight... on the flip side you can exercise everyday and still not put the right inputs into your system and gain weight.

All you say is true, but if alleykat's choices are good enough to result in the desired weight loss, he will be ahead of the game because there is no strict diet plan to quit adherence.

Everyone has their own way, and whatever works, works. And the more sustainable that way is when the weight loss goal is reached, the better.

was just putting it out there due to the original comment of having a similar goal in 2016 but didnt complete it.  IMO a plan is necessary esp. if you've not successfully done it previously.  It would be similar to saving.  saying i'm going to make better decisions in what i buy next year but i have no cognitive plan or budget i'm following.  i meant to do this in 2016 and failed but i'm just gonna try it again.

I hear you but just being mindful throughout the day works for me.  I don't believe in diets - but that doesn't mean they don't work for others. I started being mindful early December and am already down 3 lbs.  You can argue it is water weight but I will take it.  It is going in the right direction.  So, I am really starting at 163.  In 2016, I wanted to lose weight but just didn't make a real effort for one reason or another.   Different things work for different people.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »
A diet it what you eat. So not believing in what you eat doesn't really make sense.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2016, 07:09:07 PM »
I'm in! I think 10% is a realistic goal. 

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2016, 02:28:02 AM »
A diet it what you eat. So not believing in what you eat doesn't really make sense.

I think Alleycat is saying that she/he doesn't want adhere to a certain specified diet.... like keto, atkins, etc etc.... but that by being mindful about what is being eaten healthier choices will be made and calories somewhat reduced. 

jedsbud

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »
I am in.  Starting at 220.4 this morning.  I would like to be 195, dropping another pants size in the process. 

cincystache

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2017, 08:17:27 AM »
I'm in, Current weight is 225, Target weight is ~200

Fig

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
I'm in. My basic diet is fairly good (6-7 fruit/veg per day and little processed food) but I've gained 15lb (mostly on my tummy) by eating sugary crap to cope with fatigue and stress. I'm going to allow myself one small item per day with added sugar. Once that habit kicks in, I may try whole30.

(I also posted in the not-buying-clothes thread because I want to fit my old clothes, instead of shopping to conceal my midriff).

Edit for accountability: currently 138lb, aiming to lose 10% to reach pre-comfort-eating weight to suit my short height.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:32:31 AM by Fig »

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »
I was at 249 the other day and I have joined a separate Walk 2017 Miles in 2017 challenge as well.  I have recently started to see the same shape of belly that my mother has and that my grandmother had appearing in my own blue jeans.  YIKES.  My fitness is at its worst ever.  I'M going for a long walk in my neighborhood as soon as my pedometer thingy charges.  Good luck to us all!

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2017, 04:57:24 PM »
Ok, time for a weigh in.

191  December 24
188  January 1

3 pounds lost in the first week, not too bad I guess.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
Oops...somehow completely missed this thread and started another one. I will delete my other one and join in this one.

I lost 20 lbs in 2016 - I credit a newfound determination, counting calories on MyFitnessPal (the math was always pretty exact for me and I liked being able to fit in cake regularly), and the support I found here on MMM.

Being able to share my struggles and celebrate my successes - and share in everyone else's journey was amazing. It was wonderful to have a place I could be honest about devouring 3 slices of cake...and then start over again at the next meal. My vice is binging in secret - so having this place to be honest really, really helped.

I'm hoping to get the same support here in 2017 :)

After dropping from 154 to 130 through most of 2016 (and successfully maintaining without logging through the summer!), I have been eating a lot through the Christmas season. My mother has been here visiting since mid November and I used that as an excuse to eat a LOT! This morning I weighed in at 139.6 lbs!!! Ouch :( I am not liking how I look or feel. So my goal is to drop  down to 120-125lbs in 2017.

For me, intense workouts require me to eat more for fuel (and as a reward), which for me typically cancels out the calories lost. What has been working best for weightloss has been mild workouts (like walks and casual bike rides) since I don't eat more to fuel those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »
I'm in! I just weighed myself this morning and I'm 259. That's down from 265 in mid-December.

My goal is to get to 200 by the end of the year. That's a 1.13/week weight loss goal. It might be a bit ambitious, but I like ambitious goals.

Like others, I have previously concentrated on my finances to the detriment of other parts of my life. This year is 100% about weight loss (and I even started in December!).

Definitely looking for lots of support here throughout the year...

My "Why" is that I really want to have kids, but my husband and I agree it would be better if we both lost weight first. I want to be healthier, in order to reduce the risk of complications during pregnancy and to ward off the diabetes that runs in my family.

My approach is to count calories via My Fitness Pal or Lose It! (another app). Then I'm tracking my activity with a FitBit. Previously, I've concentrated on exercise, not counting calories. Then I do too much, too soon, and either get hurt or exhausted and don't continue.  This time I'll focus on getting a 1lb/week deficit through eating correctly, and then incorporate exercise into my routine slowly.

For support, I've also joined several Facebook groups and the "Half Size Me" community. I've cleaned out my blog reader to include more fitness/weight loss blogs. I've searched out on Instagram for people to follow who are also trying to lose weight.

Anyone have blog/Facebook group/Instagram recommendations for inspiration??

I wish us all luck and perseverance!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »
I'm in! I started working with a nutritionist in mid-September. Weight 189. I'd like to lose 32 lbs, which would get me to the "top" of my ideal weight per Weight Watchers: 157. If I manage that, we'll see about continuing. I always felt best around 145, but that number is pretty daunting for me.

I've lost 12 pounds so far, though I quite happily spent the past two weeks indulging when the opportunity arose, just trying to have some, not all, and never everything. :)

I have a supportive group of walking buddies, and we'll be back on the track tomorrow morning, when school starts back up.

To keep me on track, I have a lot of mantras. One of the biggest is, "Don't eat crap before lunch." Another is "No time like the present" <--- that one is with regard to chores/moving around/shifting mindset.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
I'm in! I started working with a nutritionist in mid-September. Weight 189. I'd like to lose 32 lbs, which would get me to the "top" of my ideal weight per Weight Watchers: 157. If I manage that, we'll see about continuing. I always felt best around 145, but that number is pretty daunting for me.

I've lost 12 pounds so far, though I quite happily spent the past two weeks indulging when the opportunity arose, just trying to have some, not all, and never everything. :)

I have a supportive group of walking buddies, and we'll be back on the track tomorrow morning, when school starts back up.

To keep me on track, I have a lot of mantras. One of the biggest is, "Don't eat crap before lunch." Another is "No time like the present" <--- that one is with regard to chores/moving around/shifting mindset.

My new one is “Toughen up, Cupcake”. Being called “cupcake” makes me fighting mad (I'm male) which is what I need to keep my resolve strong.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »

My new one is “Toughen up, Cupcake”. Being called “cupcake” makes me fighting mad (I'm male) which is what I need to keep my resolve strong.

Oh, funny, FIRE me! My version of that is, "Chin up, buttercup" because I learned I respond soooo much better to encouragement and celebrating small successes. We all have to find what works for us!

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2017, 11:32:27 AM »
I'm in:

weigh in: 133.2
10%: 13.3
basically, aiming for 120

intentions to accomplish this: more salads (which I love), lean protein, less carbs, and hitting my walking and rowing goals more consistently.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 176
Goal: 145

I got down to 158 a couple of years ago.  It's been creeping up, and then massive work drama happened this fall.  Between needing fast meals, being too exhausted to cook, and turning to comfort foods, I got myself here. 

On the bright side, I think that work drama will soon be neutralized.  A big part of it is already gone and now we're cleaning up the last bits. 

I'll be starting the whole30 next Monday.  (I'm taking my mom out for a Christmas meal at a highly rated restaurant, and I intend to enjoy it.)  This week I'm working on batch cooking and freezing meals so I can grab them and run on long work days.  I'm not necessarily doing the whole30 for weightloss.  I sleep poorly most nights, deal with full body aches, and other things.  (I just made myself sound old...)  Hoping that the whole30 can help me with those issues, and I'll learn what foods to avoid.

I've started trying to do yoga for at least 15 minutes each day.  Someday, I'd like to be able to touch my toes without straining, a thing I couldn't even do as a child.  I have the 'Down Dog' app on my phone and it's proven to be decent.  I can choose whatever length of practice I like, tell it what I'm looking for, and it generates a practice for me.

I'll also start running again soon.  I ran 4 half marathons last year, but slacked on training for the last couple do to above work drama, which resulted in a hip injury.  I feel close to ready to start training again, and will try for at least 4 again this year, in addition to whatever 5k and 10k races I can get discounted entries to through work.

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
I'm in. Last year I lost 10 lbs and then gained 20. Yikes! Last month I was at my heaviest ever weight of 179. I'd like to eventually get down to about 140 or 138, but I need to take this 10 lbs at a time and evaluate at each step. So for now, I'd like to lose 10 lbs. I've lost a little over a pound in the past week.

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
I'm definitely in. I'm at 220lbs, High PB + Cholesterol. Need to be below 200 for starters, real target is around 180lbs (Military weight).

Anyone have any recommendations for reminders? Do you post sticky notes on your fridge? Around your cubical/home office/bathroom mirror?

I'd like to combine this with the 30 day drinking a gallon of water a day. Fill up on water, get better looking skin.

It's going to be extra tough for me, a road warrior 3/4 of the month. Difficult to drink that much water when you're always in a car or on a plane.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2017, 08:01:33 PM »
Rhoon, I recommend building up to that gallon a day if you're not used to drinking that much water. You will pee all day long the first few days!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
I'm in. I would like to lose 5 to 10 more but slowly and not deprive myself. Also Wintertell if you search for #TIU on Instagram you will see a lot of posts from the Tone it Up community. There's also a hashtag for TIU over 40 that I like to look at posts for as well.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2017, 10:09:42 PM »
I'm in.  I'm 166 and getting to 150 would be a great goal, though I'd probably be happy with 155 too.
I already don't eat a ton of sweets but I do need to cut down on chips and other snacks. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2017, 11:30:42 PM »
Though I'd like to lose more, I think 15% is a very manageable initial goal that sets me up for success.  Some major life changes, as well as menopause have caused me to gain a lot of weight in the last few years.  It's to the point that working out is tough because I am so very out of shape.  I've instituted nightly walks with Husband.  Not that 25-30 minutes of walking is going to change much, but this is also about health, and I know I need to move more so having that daily bit of activity can only help.

I did a HIIT workout today.  I am pretty sure I died.  It was supposed to take about 30 minutes, including warm up, cool down and stretching.  It took me about an hour.  But I didn't quit. I took my time and rested as much as I felt I needed to, and I muddled through while keeping decent technique.  I am also considering purchasing a treadmill.  On one hand, this seems silly as I have free access to a gym a mile and a half from my house.  But I am supremely self-conscious about how out of shape I am, and the idea of being the fat girl struggling to jog holds me back.  Yes, I know that most people aren't paying attention to others at the gym, but if this is my hang up, money on a treadmill might be a wise investment.  For someone who used to (a long time ago) be in wonderful shape, it's pretty demoralizing.  But I can change that.  I will change that. 

I'm also trying to find some easy, quick, healthy meals to add in to the rotation.  I hate cooking, I hate cleaning, and I live in a place with limited access to foods I'm used to.  I love one pot and crockpot meals, and I need to find more than don't include cream, cheese, and other high calorie items.   And I need to cut myself off from eating after dinner, or find healthy low calorie snacks and "schedule" one of those and only one after dinner. 

And I'm hoping to get Husband on board with not buying soda.  It is isn't here, I won't miss it, and he could stand to get healthier as well.  I have two pitchers of water I keep in the fridge.  I may start adding fruit to one to make flavored water.  That's on my grocery list for today.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2017, 04:30:54 AM »
Jogging ESP when overweight is not a good idea. Welding as fast as you can is better cardio and better for your joints. But altering your diet is what will induce more weight loss working out is just to get in shape physically not really to lose weight.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2017, 05:10:45 AM »
Though I'd like to lose more, I think 15% is a very manageable initial goal that sets me up for success.  Some major life changes, as well as menopause have caused me to gain a lot of weight in the last few years.  It's to the point that working out is tough because I am so very out of shape.  I've instituted nightly walks with Husband.  Not that 25-30 minutes of walking is going to change much, but this is also about health, and I know I need to move more so having that daily bit of activity can only help.

I did a HIIT workout today.  I am pretty sure I died.  It was supposed to take about 30 minutes, including warm up, cool down and stretching.  It took me about an hour.  But I didn't quit. I took my time and rested as much as I felt I needed to, and I muddled through while keeping decent technique.  I am also considering purchasing a treadmill.  On one hand, this seems silly as I have free access to a gym a mile and a half from my house.  But I am supremely self-conscious about how out of shape I am, and the idea of being the fat girl struggling to jog holds me back.  Yes, I know that most people aren't paying attention to others at the gym, but if this is my hang up, money on a treadmill might be a wise investment.  For someone who used to (a long time ago) be in wonderful shape, it's pretty demoralizing.  But I can change that.  I will change that. 

I'm also trying to find some easy, quick, healthy meals to add in to the rotation.  I hate cooking, I hate cleaning, and I live in a place with limited access to foods I'm used to.  I love one pot and crockpot meals, and I need to find more than don't include cream, cheese, and other high calorie items.   And I need to cut myself off from eating after dinner, or find healthy low calorie snacks and "schedule" one of those and only one after dinner. 

And I'm hoping to get Husband on board with not buying soda.  It is isn't here, I won't miss it, and he could stand to get healthier as well.  I have two pitchers of water I keep in the fridge.  I may start adding fruit to one to make flavored water.  That's on my grocery list for today.

Villanelle, those people in the gym are thinking, "Hey, good for her. She's here working her tail off." And that's the message I recommend you send yourself. I did not make any headway at all when I felt invisible, full of deep shame that I had gained so much weight, guilty over the Smarties wrappers I was "hiding" in a drawer... It wasn't until I made a decision to love myself the way I was and part of that love included improving my health that I started to make incremental changes.

I've been Smartie free since October 6! ;)

Skinny Pop is a good after-dinner option, because you can adjust the amount to the number of calories you have left for the day. Pistachios are another big treat for me.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2017, 06:22:20 AM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/want-to-lose-weight-in-2017-exercise-is-not-the-answer/

this is a really good write up about the how weightloss works and that working out doesnt really help you too much if weightloss is the goal.

also its 1.5 miles to the gym.  you could walk there and back, do some strength/toning while there.  no need to buy a treadmill.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2017, 06:37:34 AM »
Weighing in because y'all are going to help be my accountabilibuddies:

Monday, January 2, 2017
Weight: 156.9 lbs
% Body Fat: 37.7
BMI: 28.7

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2017, 07:10:19 AM »
I'm in as well. On December 31st I was at 161# and my goal weight by the end of the year is under 135#. I will be rowing at the indoor rowing world championship in Boston Feb 2018 and I want to row lightweight status. I was down as low as 128 a few years ago. I just got lazy.....let my portion sizes get put of control. I LOVE potatoes, rice, and bread. I don't need to eliminate them, only eat the suggested portion size and I'll be fine

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
I'm in....but egads...after reading everyone's entries, I feel super fat! This is embarrassing but I'm 5'4" and currently 173, down from 182 at the start of last year. I want to get down to 155, stretch goal of 135 (was 125 but super skinny in high school...I seem to be dense).

My issues:
1) Poor food choices (lots of "easy" junk carbs), mainly due to time crunches and insufficient planning.
2) Stress eating...hard day=extra portions (yes plural) and a big dessert. For the record, "hard" day encompasses being too busy, conflict of any kind, being tired, etc.

I'm extremely overcommitted time wise for the foreseeable future so I need to make my meal choices more automated and easy.

Edited to add: from a quick calculation, I can drop somewhere near 350 calories from my daily intake by eliminating coffee (lots of cream and sugar). I've tapered off caffeine so it's easy to just stop.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:35:34 AM by Mongoose »

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2017, 10:13:07 AM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/want-to-lose-weight-in-2017-exercise-is-not-the-answer/

this is a really good write up about the how weightloss works and that working out doesnt really help you too much if weightloss is the goal.

also its 1.5 miles to the gym.  you could walk there and back, do some strength/toning while there.  no need to buy a treadmill.

You're oversimplifying. You can lose weight through exercise alone, assuming your calorie intake and current weight is stable.

Exercising away 500 calories per day will result in 10 pounds lost over 2 months. Source:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/427524-how-long-will-it-take-to-lose-10-pounds-if-i-burn-500-calories-a-day/

Diet and exercise will always be more effective than the same diet with no exercise. Additionally, you will feel better on the days you exercise.

While it is true that no one will exercise away a gallon of ice cream (or any other calorie dense treat) per day, it is unhelpful to keep spreading the false information that exercise "doesn't really help" dieters.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »

You're oversimplifying. You can lose weight through exercise alone, assuming your calorie intake and current weight is stable.

Exercising away 500 calories per day will result in 10 pounds lost over 2 months. Source:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/427524-how-long-will-it-take-to-lose-10-pounds-if-i-burn-500-calories-a-day/

Diet and exercise will always be more effective than the same diet with no exercise. Additionally, you will feel better on the days you exercise.

While it is true that no one will exercise away a gallon of ice cream (or any other calorie dense treat) per day, it is unhelpful to keep spreading the false information that exercise "doesn't really help" dieters.

It doesn't really help might be the wrong way to phrase it, it should be more

Exercising without addressing your diet doesn't really help you lose weight.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:40:15 AM by Cromacster »

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »
The problem with using exercise alone as a weight loss tool, is typically you are more hungry and therefore eat more after exercising.  If you don't eat more, you are limiting you food intake, which is a diet. 

I have in the past have lost weight only using exercise, as in I still ate as much as I could.  But I was exercising intensely for about 12 hours a week while I was doing this.  In fact, I wasn't trying to lose weight, I was just having a lot of fun doing what I was doing, and I couldn't get my food intake up to stop it.  The last couple of weeks I was doing it, I measured my calorie intake, and it was around 4000 calories a day. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »

It doesn't really help might be the wrong way to phrase it, it should be more

Exercising without addressing your diet doesn't really help you lose weight.

correct they OP who made that post was likely going for a more click bait title to get you to read the data.  the above statement is very correct. 

less calories in than out doesnt relate exactly to weight loss. its what the calories come from ... 2k calories of white bread in - 2500 calories out may not help you lose weight every day.  OTH 4k calories of lean meat in and 2k calories out typically equates to weight loss for most humans. obviously you'll need some veggies to get all your nutrients.  but there are far too many people that think its that simple an equation and its far from the way your body processes calories from different sources.  and no eating a sugary fruit in place of cookie isnt that much better for you its still sugar.  fruit is not a necessary part of a human diet ...

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2017, 10:19:30 PM »
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 176
Goal: 145

I got down to 158 a couple of years ago.  It's been creeping up, and then massive work drama happened this fall.  Between needing fast meals, being too exhausted to cook, and turning to comfort foods, I got myself here. 

That's my trouble, too. Every few years I lose 15 or 20 pounds. Unfortunately, it is always the same 15 or 20 pounds. I am really hoping to break the cycle this time.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »

That's guaranteed to upset a buyer of the product if they are they only one one the scales... why would a company put that error message there!

I really think that auntie_betty was making a bit of a joke there.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »

As I mentioned, I'm definitely working on the diet piece as well. The working out is more for health than weight loss, though I consider them pieces of the same puzzle.  And the good thing about being a) heavy and b) out of shape, it that walking a mile burns a lot more calories because my body is inefficient at it, and because I'm hauling around a lot of ballast.

I feel like a 3 mile walk is nice, but it doesn't seem like enough.  I'm too out of shape to jog, but I can walk, even briskly, almost indefinitely.  (I did a roughly 8 mile walk a few weeks back, and other than a few blisters I was fine.  But I can't do that regularly as it eats up too much time.)  I feel like I need something in between, at least for now, like a treadmill on an incline.  (The area I live is very flat.)  I walked for an hour and 20 minutes today.  I'd guess I went around 3.5 miles.  At no time did I sweat, nor was I especially winded.  It's way better than nothing, of course, and I'm sore from yesterday's workout so today needed to be a fairly mellow day anyway, but a walk doesn't seem like quite enough effort.

Also, this is something on which I am willing to essentially abandon frugality.  I'm unhealthy.  Having an extra $500 will be useless if I have a heart attack, and it will be worth a lot less to me if I have constant knee pain and need a new hip.  So if I decide a treadmill will truly get me more healthy that not having one, it seems like an extremely good time to be a bit spendypants. 

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2017, 02:09:24 AM »
I am in, currently weigh 62kg,which is 137 pounds. I want to get back down to 55kg, which is about  what i was at the beginning of 2016. I am mainly focusing on diet (I have way to much soft drink and chocolate) but will also be making use of the free gym when at work

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:32 AM »

As I mentioned, I'm definitely working on the diet piece as well. The working out is more for health than weight loss, though I consider them pieces of the same puzzle.  And the good thing about being a) heavy and b) out of shape, it that walking a mile burns a lot more calories because my body is inefficient at it, and because I'm hauling around a lot of ballast.

I feel like a 3 mile walk is nice, but it doesn't seem like enough.  I'm too out of shape to jog, but I can walk, even briskly, almost indefinitely.  (I did a roughly 8 mile walk a few weeks back, and other than a few blisters I was fine.  But I can't do that regularly as it eats up too much time.)  I feel like I need something in between, at least for now, like a treadmill on an incline.  (The area I live is very flat.)  I walked for an hour and 20 minutes today.  I'd guess I went around 3.5 miles.  At no time did I sweat, nor was I especially winded.  It's way better than nothing, of course, and I'm sore from yesterday's workout so today needed to be a fairly mellow day anyway, but a walk doesn't seem like quite enough effort.

Also, this is something on which I am willing to essentially abandon frugality.  I'm unhealthy.  Having an extra $500 will be useless if I have a heart attack, and it will be worth a lot less to me if I have constant knee pain and need a new hip.  So if I decide a treadmill will truly get me more healthy that not having one, it seems like an extremely good time to be a bit spendypants.

Walking is good for you, but as you say, it takes forever to get anywhere.  Try kettlebell swings.  Totally low impact, but you get some cardio from the weight and movement.  I used Gin Miller's calorie burner kettlebell workout, and it was great.  A plus, way cheaper and takes up way less space than a $500 treadmill.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »
a treadmill for walking when we have this place called outside with fresh air thats free to walk in... hmmm. ...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
Walking is good for you, but as you say, it takes forever to get anywhere.  Try kettlebell swings.  Totally low impact, but you get some cardio from the weight and movement.  I used Gin Miller's calorie burner kettlebell workout, and it was great.  A plus, way cheaper and takes up way less space than a $500 treadmill.

I think brisk walking is a great way to get in shape, though it does take time.  I make it more enjoyable by creating playlists of songs with the perfect beat for my gait.  That way, it often feels more like dancing than walking.  And it's very fun.

If I had the space in my house, I would totally want to get a treadmill.  Having it right at home would remove one barrier to exercise.  So I support Villanelle's desire to buy one.  Yes, ideally, we all have the motivation to get outside and walk 5 miles per day, but some of us aren't quite there yet for one reason or another.

Milizard, for a 55 year old, slightly out of shape female, what size kettlebell would you recommend to start with?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:55:58 AM by NinetyFour »

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »
We have a treadmill. We use it and also walk/snowshoe outside.   Admittedly the treadmill is one of those fancy NordicTrack incline ones and was purchased pre-MMM but I do not regret it.   I use the treadmill for when it is too rainy, too dark, or I just don't feel like layering up in 10 degree weather.  I can talk myself out of going outside, but I can't talk myself out of using the treadmill.   

I also use it for speed work when I'm marathon training as the nearest flat track is 20 minutes away, but the treadmill is in the basement.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »

I think brisk walking is a great way to get in shape, though it does take time.  I make it more enjoyable by creating playlists of songs with the perfect beat for my gait.  That way, it often feels more like dancing than walking.  And it's very fun.

If I had the space in my house, I would totally want to get a treadmill.  Having it right at home would remove one barrier to exercise.  So I support Villanelle's desire to buy one.  Yes, ideally, we all have the motivation to get outside and walk 5 miles per day, but some of us aren't quite there yet for one reason or another.

Milizard, for a 55 year old, slightly out of shape female, what size kettlebell would you recommend to start with?  Thanks.

I just started with 5 lbs, and still use it for one-arm swings as I have a bad shoulder.  Believe it or not, that weight does the trick, as you are doing lunges as squats at the same time.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »

I just started with 5 lbs, and still use it for one-arm swings as I have a bad shoulder.  Believe it or not, that weight does the trick, as you are doing lunges as squats at the same time.

Great--thanks!

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2017, 11:22:25 AM »
Alright, I'm in. Last few years I've lost weight from Jan-Apr or so, but then I slack off too much and put a lot back on.

Dec 27th: 198 lbs.

I weigh myself at night, before bed, but before any pre-bedtime water drinking. Point is, I keep that consistent. And I do it daily (when trying to lose weight) and track it in a spreadsheet. Of course.

Update
12/27: 198.4
1/3: 193.0

Down 2.7%.