Author Topic: Lose 10% or More of Your Body Weight in 2017  (Read 119088 times)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Lose 10% or More of Your Body Weight in 2017
« on: December 28, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »
I intend to lose 10% or more of my body weight in 2017.

Currently I am 191 pounds. My goal is to reach 170 pounds. I will be FIRE'd as of January 4, 2017 so I am hopeful that this will be a good time to make a genuine lifestyle change as opposed to the usual cycle of gain and then lose, gain, lose, lather, rinse and repeat.

My motivation is to better my odds of staying healthy by reducing my blood pressure, the risk of stroke, heart attack, and Diabetes, all of which unfortunately run in my extended family.

I will post updated stats weekly, or at least every two weeks. But may post more frequently to discuss diet and general strategy if anyone else is interested.

Anyone else in?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Lose 10% or More of Your Body Weight in 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »
i'm in... i'm at 210 this morning i plan to be 185 by april/may.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »
I'm in!

Currently 161 pounds. Aiming for 130 by FIRE day Aug 3, 2017. 31 pounds in 31 weeks. It's an ambitious goal for me, but I'm determined. Most of my other priorities are on autopilot now, so I can focus on this one.

Starting with Whole 30 on Friday.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »
I'm in!

Currently 161 pounds. Aiming for 130 by FIRE day Aug 3, 2017. 31 pounds in 31 weeks. It's an ambitious goal for me, but I'm determined. Most of my other priorities are on autopilot now, so I can focus on this one.

Starting with Whole 30 on Friday.

I've heard good things about Whole 30 and paleo.

I plan to go my own way and cut my bad habits like sweets, pizza, barbecue, boredom eating, and overeating. I'll also exercise, but that is more for the cardio benefit that losing weight.

I'm considering occasional 24 hour water only fasts, but that may exceed my self control abilities.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:37:44 AM »
i'm in... i'm at 210 this morning i plan to be 185 by april/may.

Misery loves company, but so does success. We're going to do this!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »
oh its no biggy.  i've done it before. 

i use 4 hour body its like paleo but no fruit or potatoes and allows beans.

BBQ isnt bad the sauce is bad.  and the bread you may eat with it is. 

Exercise is mostly for physical fitness not for losing weight.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 03:55:55 PM »
I'm in.  I'll weigh on 1/1.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 07:38:53 PM »
Alright, I'm in. The goal is to go from 166ish to 150ish. Not too sure about the methods, looks like I should exercise and minimize gratuitous carbs.

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:17:12 PM »
I'm in.

Currently at 159 lbs. 10% would take me down to 143.

Two things that will help
1. Budgeting less for groceries means I will omit/limit the junk.
2. Will start walking to/from work in the new year - saves money and gives me about 50 mins of exercise each day.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »
I'm in.  Tried this last year and no movement either way.    Currently at 153.  Goal is 137.   Intermittent fasting is my preferred approach, along with cutting down on sugar.

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm in on this one.

Current weight 285. 

I have spent the last few years focusing on making sure our financial future was taken care of, now I need to focus on my getting more healthy so I can enjoy all of our hard work in the future. 

2017 goal:  Lose weight, not worry about money (we have plenty) and learn to live in the moment.

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:11 PM »
I'm in on this one.

Current weight 285. 

I have spent the last few years focusing on making sure our financial future was taken care of, now I need to focus on my getting more healthy so I can enjoy all of our hard work in the future. 

2017 goal:  Lose weight, not worry about money (we have plenty) and learn to live in the moment.

I am with you MM. Sounds like we are in the same place.  I am currently 294 lbs and disgusted that my weight has ballooned again.   Joined WW tonight.  Money is no longer an issue, now it's time to get healthy.  Count me in for the 10% challange (and then some).

LateToTheParty

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 06:13:58 AM »
I'm in. Currently 135# and would like to get to 120# (short stature), so just over 10%.

Plan to increase protein and veggies, decrease sweets/carbs, prioritize exercise.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 06:16:10 AM »
I'm in. Currently 135# and would like to get to 120# (short stature), so just over 10%.

Plan to increase protein and veggies, decrease sweets/carbs, prioritize exercise.

exercise wont help near as much as the first 2 and eliminating the second 2.

Basically dont eat more sweet and carbs on days when "i worked out" it doesnt work that way.

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
I'm in.  I've been hovering just under 150 for months.  Goal is to get back to 130-135, which was my pre pregnancy weight. 

My main issue is stress/emotional eating in the evenings after rough days.  Have to start having the willpower to say no to the cake, cookies, chocolate, etc. 

dividendsplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 06:41:35 AM »
I'm in. Currently 190 and want to be at 165.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 06:46:09 AM »
I'm in.  I've been hovering just under 150 for months.  Goal is to get back to 130-135, which was my pre pregnancy weight. 

My main issue is stress/emotional eating in the evenings after rough days.  Have to start having the willpower to say no to the cake, cookies, chocolate, etc.

dont buy it its not available.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 06:49:31 AM »
I'm in too, although my focus is not going to be on my weight, it's going to be on developing better habits - in my experience, a healthier weight follows behind those better habits.

I know from experience that for me, eating a primarily paleo diet makes me feel the best and my weight naturally moves to a set level that is currently about 10-15 pounds below where I'm at now. I also know that while exercise doesn't do much for my weight, it is a keystone habit for me: when I am making fitness a regular part of my life, I naturally make better diet choices. Exercise also helps me deal with stress better (I'm a stress/emotional eater) and definitely helps me sleep better.

The other side of this is that I have to cut down on the booze. I've given it up completely in the past but 2017 will be about trying to find a healthier relationship with alcohol (if I can't find that balance, then I'll reconsider just giving it up completely again).

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 07:03:20 AM »

Not buying it is the easy part.  BF brings home all kinds of junk, and I have to get better about being able to see it around and not have any.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 07:13:25 AM »

Not buying it is the easy part.  BF brings home all kinds of junk, and I have to get better about being able to see it around and not have any.

I read an article recently that successful people don't have more self-control.  They set up things so they don't need to use self-control.  Talk to your BF about keeping the stuff out of the house.  At the very least, It'd be a good measure on whether he is a keeper.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
I'm in.  I lost about 25 lbs. this year.  I'd like to lose another 25, but I don't think it's really a reasonable goal.  I was only there in my teens, part of which I felt borderline anorexic.  15 is 10%, and that is much more reasonable for my body and age.

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »

I read an article recently that successful people don't have more self-control.  They set up things so they don't need to use self-control.  Talk to your BF about keeping the stuff out of the house.  At the very least, It'd be a good measure on whether he is a keeper.

Hmmm, I think I will do this.  He does need to be healthier, also, even though he's very thin.  Recently he's been talking about wanting to work out more, I think I will suggest less junk and see how it goes.  I count calories and it would be easier to stay on track if there weren't always cupcakes around.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 07:26:09 AM »
I've been waiting for one of these for 2017. I'm at 185 lbs. I'd like to get down to my freshman year college weight of 150~155  lbs.

I just restarted my weight lifting. I just did a week of consistently eating my macros at 175 Carbs, 40 Fat, 175 Protein. I'm going to begin to slowly reduce the carbohydrates whenever my weekly weigh-ins becomes stagnant.

A few things that I hope to become more consistent is to plan meals a day ahead. Keep it simply and healthy. I'll schedule cheat meals/days in advance. If I feel socially obligated to join someone to eat out, I'll make sure I'm relatively full.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »
I'm also cutting the drinking to 0 for the next 9 or so months b/c my wife is pregnant.  so that should help a lot. ... as soon as the egg nog runs out.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 07:59:03 AM »
Alright, I'm in. Last few years I've lost weight from Jan-Apr or so, but then I slack off too much and put a lot back on.

Dec 27th: 198 lbs.

Goal: Maybe get under 170 this year? (Was as low as 172 in 2016) The real goal for me is MAINTENANCE. Thinking of something like once i get under 180, KEEPING it under 180 for the rest of the year is a tougher problem for me.  I tend to go low carb to lose the weight, but then too much junk food/sugar when I'm not low carb and put a bunch back on. So, extreme THEN moderation, not extreme to extreme. :-)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 08:14:51 AM »
I'm in too, although my focus is not going to be on my weight, it's going to be on developing better habits - in my experience, a healthier weight follows behind those better habits.

I know from experience that for me, eating a primarily paleo diet makes me feel the best and my weight naturally moves to a set level that is currently about 10-15 pounds below where I'm at now. I also know that while exercise doesn't do much for my weight, it is a keystone habit for me: when I am making fitness a regular part of my life, I naturally make better diet choices. Exercise also helps me deal with stress better (I'm a stress/emotional eater) and definitely helps me sleep better.

The other side of this is that I have to cut down on the booze. I've given it up completely in the past but 2017 will be about trying to find a healthier relationship with alcohol (if I can't find that balance, then I'll reconsider just giving it up completely again).

This was huge for me too. I was WAY more successful with weight loss when I was also exercising, and even when I stopped exercising the weight stayed off for FAR longer than when I had lost weight just focusing on food. When my focus is overall fitness and health, and not just weight, everything seems to work out MUCH better for me, both short term and long term.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 08:16:16 AM »
I am in...  Currently I am around 210...  I tend to hit a plateau around 200, 195, and 190...  I do not recall the last time I was 185.
One good thing is when I tend to hit a plateau I stay there...  don't go up or down...  So my goal will be 185lb (11.9%)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 08:18:58 AM »
I'm in, pretty much have to.

Current weight 230lbs

Want to do a USAPL powerlifting meet @ 205lb weight class in April
Doing Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 in September for which I need to be even lighter so my joints don't fall apart.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 08:33:51 AM »
I'm in!  I started a month ago on my post-baby body.   I'm focusing more on getting rid of the fat and gaining muscle. 

I'm currently at 155lbs. I'm working with a personal trainer once a week focusing on my goals.  The rest of the week I do cardio/weight circuits and yoga as homework.

My biggest challenges will be adding more vegetables to my diet and limiting the sweets/wine.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 08:37:23 AM »
I'm in! I got down to 130 in my second law school just by literally having no time to eat, gained all the weight back third year, lost half of it again in the month before my wedding, then gained it all back and then some during bar prep and my first year of practice.  Now I'm hovering at right around 155, trying to get to 140 by the year's end.  Whole30 starts January 2nd and I'm not supposed to weigh myself during that whole month but we'll see if I actually stick to that, my fibit likes to have the data!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »
I am so in.  I tried in 2016 but just couldn't do it.  I think I am finally ready to change my eating.  No diets for me though.  Just better choices.  I still have junk in the house but am trying not bring more home with me.  Holiday treats are gone so that is a good thing.

I am also going to try and commit to exercise.  It is time to get physically fit.  I am in the worse shape of my life.  It is starting to affect my health.

I am 160 and would like to lose 20 lbs, so 140 here I come.

Good luck everyone.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »
I am so in.  I tried in 2016 but just couldn't do it.  I think I am finally ready to change my eating.  No diets for me though.  Just better choices.  I still have junk in the house but am trying not bring more home with me.  Holiday treats are gone so that is a good thing.

I am also going to try and commit to exercise.  It is time to get physically fit.  I am in the worse shape of my life.  It is starting to affect my health.

Good luck everyone.

your diet is anything you eat its only recently been attached to specific things to lose weight.  but having no plan and just "making better choices" often does not work very well.  The human body is a machine and you can curtail the inputs to meet how its meant to function.  exercise is probably only 10% of weightloss and is much more useful at just getting yourself physically in shape not really conducive to weightloss. you can sit on your ass every day and eat an appropriate diet and lose weight... on the flip side you can exercise everyday and still not put the right inputs into your system and gain weight.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 08:50:13 AM »
I'm in.  I'm at about 150 and want to get to 130.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
I'm in. I'm roughly defensive end sized (6'6", 285) and I'd like to get down around 250. I did some mountain bike racing this year, and I plan to do it again the summer of 2017 -- every pound I lose is one less pound to drag up the side of a hill.

First step, like many other people have said, will be cutting out the booze and the snacks that come with it.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »

Good luck everyone.

your diet is anything you eat its only recently been attached to specific things to lose weight.  but having no plan and just "making better choices" often does not work very well.  The human body is a machine and you can curtail the inputs to meet how its meant to function.  exercise is probably only 10% of weightloss and is much more useful at just getting yourself physically in shape not really conducive to weightloss. you can sit on your ass every day and eat an appropriate diet and lose weight... on the flip side you can exercise everyday and still not put the right inputs into your system and gain weight.

All you say is true, but if alleykat's choices are good enough to result in the desired weight loss, he will be ahead of the game because there is no strict diet plan to quit adherence.

Everyone has their own way, and whatever works, works. And the more sustainable that way is when the weight loss goal is reached, the better. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 09:52:01 AM »

Good luck everyone.

All you say is true, but if alleykat's choices are good enough to result in the desired weight loss, he will be ahead of the game because there is no strict diet plan to quit adherence.

Everyone has their own way, and whatever works, works. And the more sustainable that way is when the weight loss goal is reached, the better.

was just putting it out there due to the original comment of having a similar goal in 2016 but didnt complete it.  IMO a plan is necessary esp. if you've not successfully done it previously.  It would be similar to saving.  saying i'm going to make better decisions in what i buy next year but i have no cognitive plan or budget i'm following.  i meant to do this in 2016 and failed but i'm just gonna try it again.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 09:57:38 AM »
I found tracking my calories with myfitnesspal led me to make better choices than just keeping a vague idea of better choices in mind.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »
I found tracking my calories with myfitnesspal led me to make better choices than just keeping a vague idea of better choices in mind.

yep.  how do you decide oh i can have this cookie if you arent on some plan or system etc.  "i've been doing better i deserve this cookie" doesnt work if you say that daily b/c you ate a salad.  which you may say i wont do it daily.  but then what is acceptable every other day, weekly, etc. but wait now you're making a planned diet.  (which you should do anyways)

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »

yep.  how do you decide oh i can have this cookie if you arent on some plan or system etc.  "i've been doing better i deserve this cookie" doesnt work if you say that daily b/c you ate a salad.  which you may say i wont do it daily.  but then what is acceptable every other day, weekly, etc. but wait now you're making a planned diet.  (which you should do anyways)

I had a long discussion with my PT this morning about this very subject.  She is very realistic in that cutting something out 100% especially something we enjoy is doomed to fail.   Instead she suggests just making better choices.  For example, it is ok to have a glass of wine, but it is not ok to have a glass of wine, a piece of cake,  and pizza.  Pick one and only one.  It is about finding a balance that works for you.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 10:50:47 AM »

I had a long discussion with my PT this morning about this very subject.  She is very realistic in that cutting something out 100% especially something we enjoy is doomed to fail.   Instead she suggests just making better choices.  For example, it is ok to have a glass of wine, but it is not ok to have a glass of wine, a piece of cake,  and pizza.  Pick one and only one.  It is about finding a balance that works for you.

a glass of dry red wine is not the equivalent of a piece of cake or a slice of pizza ... the latter 2 are chuck full of sugars and carbohydrates and dairy.  and of course your PT isnt gonna give you a system to follow then you wouldnt need them.  a personal trainer is great for getting in shape but as outlined in another thread started recently working out isnt the secret to losing weight diet modification is.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »

a glass of dry red wine is not the equivalent of a piece of cake or a slice of pizza ... the latter 2 are chuck full of sugars and carbohydrates and dairy.

She was talking about making conscious decisions about what is being consumed.  I personally can live without alcohol but I refuse to live in a world without cake. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:24 AM »

a glass of dry red wine is not the equivalent of a piece of cake or a slice of pizza ... the latter 2 are chuck full of sugars and carbohydrates and dairy.

She was talking about making conscious decisions about what is being consumed.  I personally can live without alcohol but I refuse to live in a world without cake.

so long as you know they arent equivalent.  and cake is likely one of the worst foods on the planet to put inside a human body.

you've never seen a study done that a slice of pizza or cake a day is good for your health but there are many out there that link a glass of wine to reduced risk of heart disease etc.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:56:54 AM by boarder42 »

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »

you've never seen a study done that a slice of pizza or cake a day is good for your health but there are many out there that link a glass of wine to reduced risk of heart disease etc.

You are not getting a slice of our yummy, homemade birthday cake. :)

No one eats cake every day, not even I can do that, and I've make poems about cake!   Be realistic.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
I'm in.  Weighted myself 2 days ago, I was 228 (I've been fluctuating around 230).  I'm 6'4, so while I'm overweight, it's not super obvious.  I was 180 almost 2 years ago, and had a lot of health issues since.  If I was at 100% that would be my goal, but 200 with some of my muscle back would be fantastic.  My biggest hurdle will be saying no to the snacks at the office.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2016, 11:10:44 AM »
Quote from: boarder42 link=topic=66119.msg1356829#msg1356829

so long as you know they arent equivalent.  and cake is likely one of the worst foods on the planet to put inside a human body.

True, but most people will need to cheat.  People just shouldn't cheat everyday or every week even.  Tim Ferris recommends once a week, which every 1 - 2 weeks seems standard.

For me personally, cheating takes the pressure off and allows me to relax.  I don't measure and I don't care, I just eat till I'm full.  I usually go with pizza, lots of pizza.

So have your cake and eat it, but just once a week...or less.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
I'll post to get in on this.  I started seriously a few months ago and I am down 8lbs.

Currently at 272.  Goal weight would ideally be 215-225, but for 2017 my goal is <250.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »

True, but most people will need to cheat.  People just shouldn't cheat everyday or every week even.  Tim Ferris recommends once a week, which every 1 - 2 weeks seems standard.

For me personally, cheating takes the pressure off and allows me to relax.  I don't measure and I don't care, I just eat till I'm full.  I usually go with pizza, lots of pizza.

oh yeah i agree i follow ferris's diet... my point was equating wine (which can be consumed daily and not inhibit weightloss) to cake or pizza. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »

oh yeah i agree i follow ferris's diet... my point was equating wine (which can be consumed daily and not inhibit weightloss) to cake or pizza.

Ah true that.  Just don't drink the whole bottle >.<

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 11:32:26 AM »

All in moderation.  If you plan for it, you can eat a piece of cake every day and still lose weight.  There was that one guy who only drank beer, and lost weight.  Probably not the most healthy thing, but lots of veggies + a piece of cake can still allow weight loss, and that is fairly healthy.  You just need a lot of self control, since I'd be hungry most of the day on a diet like that.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2016, 11:48:40 AM »

All in moderation.  If you plan for it, you can eat a piece of cake every day and still lose weight.  There was that one guy who only drank beer, and lost weight.  Probably not the most healthy thing, but lots of veggies + a piece of cake can still allow weight loss, and that is fairly healthy.  You just need a lot of self control, since I'd be hungry most of the day on a diet like that.

yes but again thats an obsure diet... you can have 2 glasses of dry red wine per day and not inhibit weightloss on most any diet.  you cannot do the same with cake or pizza.  wine doesnt belong in the same sentence as cake and pizza. unless its a sugary wine then it can go there.