Author Topic: Lift things up and put them down  (Read 25073 times)

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
Lift things up and put them down
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:46:19 AM »
As noted in my new journal http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/working-on-dat-mustache/ I'm a powerlifter. This is the method in which I've currently used to become healthy. In the past year I've gone from being a fat 5'9.5" person weighing 235 lbs to this weeks weight of 177 lbs. I've only been lifting consistently since August of 2013, before that 4 years of no gym, then before that about 3 years of lifting in high school .

I truly believe strength training to be the best way to become fit and healthy.

My challenge to those of us that like to lift heavy things and put them down I challenge the men here to hit a 300/400/500 lb bench/squat/deadlift and I challenge the women here to hit 135/200/300 lb bench/squat/deadlift.

This is currently my short term goal, I should be there soon, if I'm not already there.

Long term goal is a 400/500/600 bench/squat/deadlift at 165 lb weight class. This would give me elite level status at both 165 and 181 weight divisions. I don't expect anyone to go for this one but it's out there.

Any questions let me know.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:39:59 PM by apfroggy0408 »

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Lift things up and put them down
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
That some great results loosing 60lbs, with muscle gain in a year, congratulations.  I like strength training and think it is a great way to stay healthy but I just can't eat enough to keep the muscle.  I will train for a few months and get good results but the meal planning and constant eating eventually wears me down.

How do you tackle the nutrition side?

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
Have to agree that weight training is the best and most efficient way to get or stay in shape. But like mxt0133 says, what you eat is even more important, and that is where a lot of  people fall short.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »
That some great results loosing 60lbs, with muscle gain in a year, congratulations.  I like strength training and think it is a great way to stay healthy but I just can't eat enough to keep the muscle.  I will train for a few months and get good results but the meal planning and constant eating eventually wears me down.

How do you tackle the nutrition side?

Thanks!

Food is definitely the most difficult task but if you have the discipline to track your finances unlike so many others you surely have the discipline to track your food intake unlike so many others. I currently pay a personal trainer to do my training and nutrition. Don't worry I pay up front for bulk time so it makes it really cheap $40/month and when I resign with him that monthly rate will go down.

Have to agree that weight training is the best and most efficient way to get or stay in shape. But like mxt0133 says, what you eat is even more important, and that is where a lot of  people fall short.

You cannot out train a bad diet, that is for sure.

When it comes to nutrition and training "Make Results, Not Excuses" is my mantra and it's going to become my mantra for finances.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:47:32 AM by apfroggy0408 »

welliamwallace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Trying to squeeze out those whiskers
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »
Alright, I will pick up this gauntlet, but give me two years. Beginner weight lifter here, 6'3", 180. My 1 rep maxes are probably something like

165/210/250.

I pulled those out of thin air though, because I only recently started lifting seriously and am always just doing sets of 6-12. I'm still adding about 5 lbs to each lift every week though!

wickemt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »
I'm in. Just started weight training again last month after a few years' hiatus, but I was never disciplined enough back in college.

Current 1RM is 135 deadlift, and 100 squat. Haven't been benching because I did too much of that without corresponding back work and frakked my shoulders up last time round.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:08:09 PM »
Awesome guys!

I'm not sure about the rules on this forum about linking to other forums but if anyone wants to know where I do my training dealio send e a PM.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »
Awesome guys!

I'm not sure about the rules on this forum about linking to other forums but if anyone wants to know where I do my training dealio send e a PM.

I believe it's Kosher. Post away.

Mrs.FamilyFinances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
As noted in my new journal http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/working-on-dat-mustache/ I'm a powerlifter. This is the method in which I've currently used to become healthy. In the past year I've gone from being a fat 5'9.5" person weighing 235 lbs to this weeks weight of 177 lbs. I've only been lifting consistently since August of 2013, before that 4 years of no gym, then before that about 3 years of lifting in high school .

My challenge to those of us that like to lift heavy things and put them down I challenge the men here (I'll get the equivalent numbers for the ladies) to hit a 300/400/500 lb bench/squat/deadlift.

This is currently my short term goal, I should be there soon, if I'm not already there.

Long term goal is a 400/500/600 bench/squat/deadlift at 165 lb weight class. This would give me elite level status at both 165 and 181 weight divisions. I don't expect anyone to go for this one but it's out there.

Yes! Please post numbers for us gals here! Currently 105/120/200 for bench/squat/deadlift.  Bench is by far my weakest area. I'm 5'4 and 135 lbs, and would like to bench my body weight if possible, but unsure of goals past that.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »

My challenge to those of us that like to lift heavy things and put them down I challenge the men here (I'll get the equivalent numbers for the ladies) to hit a 300/400/500 lb bench/squat/deadlift.

Yes! Please post numbers for us gals here! Currently 105/120/200 for bench/squat/deadlift.  Bench is by far my weakest area. I'm 5'4 and 135 lbs, and would like to bench my body weight if possible, but unsure of goals past that.

Crap, completely forgot about that. Let me do some quick searching and I'll get some numbers for you. But your numbers seem pretty good that's for sure!

To be clear 300/400/500 is the commonly accepted number of a truly strong man in the gym.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »
Original post updated for women.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »
I'm not into bench pressing much, but just got back to the squats and deadlifts today.  When I left off a couple months ago, my deadlift was at 185# for reps, ready to break the 200# barrier.  I don't think I have the conformation for heavy squatting, but was around 120# when I left off, so will hopefully be back to those numbers within a couple weeks.  In lieu of the benchpress goal, I will challenge myself to move up to my 35# kettlebell for Turkish getups.  I'm currently at 25# there.

Even though I was only doing a major deadlift/squat day 1x per week, I really saw results, and in the past couple months, have seen the results of NOT doing it more vividly, in terms of weakness and tighter pants, even though I was half-assedly training for a half marathon, whilst doing lots of landscaping and a fair bit of horseback riding.

massivemordy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 10:36:06 PM »
For those who want to figure out where they stand on their lifts (ladies included) try this site: http://www.strstd.com/.

I'll pick up this gauntlet, but I'm shooting for the 5-rep equivalents of 255/345/425 by the end of the year. Currently at 210/270/305. Not trying to be an elite powerlifter, and I like food too much to stick to a strict diet anyway. I just like lifting things up and putting them down!

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
Here's the most helpful forum out there for weightlifting and nutrition.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/

Truckman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »
Not sure how long it'll take me to get there, or what my 1RM's are.  I've never really been a lifter, and am probably what some would consider a fat skinny guy/fat-hardgainer. Currently fluctuating in the 216-220 range at 5'9". Today I just started Week 9 of the StrongLifts 5x5 program, and my lifts were 165# Squat/105# Bench/125# Bent-over Row, each 5-sets of 5-reps.  Wednesday should be 170# Squat/95# Overhead Lift/160# Deadlift, again all 5x5.

I was hoping to see some more weight loss, but if anything I've seen a slight gain (started in the 214-217 range).  I have noticed actual muscle growth which I think is pretty damned cool and impressive.  All the little bits here and there over the years that I've attempted to lift/exercise, I've never seen any growth. I definitely need to get better control over my diet, though.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 09:34:55 PM »
Not sure how long it'll take me to get there, or what my 1RM's are.  I've never really been a lifter, and am probably what some would consider a fat skinny guy/fat-hardgainer. Currently fluctuating in the 216-220 range at 5'9". Today I just started Week 9 of the StrongLifts 5x5 program, and my lifts were 165# Squat/105# Bench/125# Bent-over Row, each 5-sets of 5-reps.  Wednesday should be 170# Squat/95# Overhead Lift/160# Deadlift, again all 5x5.

I was hoping to see some more weight loss, but if anything I've seen a slight gain (started in the 214-217 range). I have noticed actual muscle growth which I think is pretty damned cool and impressive.  All the little bits here and there over the years that I've attempted to lift/exercise, I've never seen any growth. I definitely need to get better control over my diet, though.

If it makes you feel any better, this is normal.  Your muscles will retain extra water as they recover from the micro-tears caused by training.  The water retention should decrease over time with consistent training.  Eating carbs will also result in more water retention with stored glucose.

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »
In on this. I doubt I'll ever get to 300/400/500 but I'll lift heavy until I can't.

I've been lifting pretty consistently for the past 3 years, with a few haituses in that time from unrelated injuries. I've seen results but not as much as I would like.

I started lifting at 5'9" 150 lbs. In two years I was at my lifting peak of 178 lbs. At the time I was benching 180 lbs with a 5 rep squat of 225 lbs and around a 260 lb 1RM deadlift. I got close to those numbers again this January while at 160 lbs, but then had to have surgery for something unrelated to lifting.

I'm currently around 155 lbs, and last night I could only muster a 5 rep squat max of 185 lbs in my first time squatting in a few months.

I am setting a more realistic goal of 225/300/400 right now. Even that is a ways off and I'm not sure how attainable it is without doing some serious bulking. Bench is going to be the hardest one... I always seem to get stuck around 175-180 lbs.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:54:56 PM by TonyPlush »

Truckman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »

I was hoping to see some more weight loss, but if anything I've seen a slight gain (started in the 214-217 range). I have noticed actual muscle growth which I think is pretty damned cool and impressive.  All the little bits here and there over the years that I've attempted to lift/exercise, I've never seen any growth. I definitely need to get better control over my diet, though.

If it makes you feel any better, this is normal.  Your muscles will retain extra water as they recover from the micro-tears caused by training.  The water retention should decrease over time with consistent training.  Eating carbs will also result in more water retention with stored glucose.
It does, thanks.  Of course, it doesn't help that I'm trying to do two things at once - gain muscle but lose fat.

Any opinions on the information in this link?  http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 06:24:33 AM »

It does, thanks.  Of course, it doesn't help that I'm trying to do two things at once - gain muscle but lose fat.

Any opinions on the information in this link?  http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/

Read some of it, information is right, but there's too much science going into it I think.

If you check out the forum I've posted choose a beginner's routine, start a simple diet at perhaps 40%/30%/30% P/C/F at a reasonable number of calories (how much do you weigh), eat whole unprocessed foods including greens and other veggies.

My goals have been fat loss and strength and muscle gains. I've lost 60 lbs by doing simple things.

Here's my log if you're interested.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36497

Truckman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 07:07:06 AM »

Read some of it, information is right, but there's too much science going into it I think.

If you check out the forum I've posted choose a beginner's routine, start a simple diet at perhaps 40%/30%/30% P/C/F at a reasonable number of calories (how much do you weigh), eat whole unprocessed foods including greens and other veggies.

My goals have been fat loss and strength and muscle gains. I've lost 60 lbs by doing simple things.

Thanks for your input! 

From your OP in the link you posted, this sounds exactly like me and my goals - just add about 20 years to your age:

I'm currently sitting at about 215-220 waist size of 38 and would ideally like to get to the low 180s high 170s waist size around 32.

I'll definitely be reading more of your log there and checking out the rest of the site.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 07:08:19 AM »
I'll jump in on this, 6' 195. My best ever has been 350/280/515 (s/b/d) so I'm focusing in the bench/squat moreso. 2 weeks ago squatted 280 for 3x5 and then got super sick. First day back to lifting is always fun/depressing.

Really want to hit that 400 squat by end of the year, and hit a BW OHP as well.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »

Thanks for your input! 

From your OP in the link you posted, this sounds exactly like me and my goals - just add about 20 years to your age:

I'm currently sitting at about 215-220 waist size of 38 and would ideally like to get to the low 180s high 170s waist size around 32.

I'll definitely be reading more of your log there and checking out the rest of the site.

Check out my most recent pictures at the end of that thread to see where I'm at now.

That forum is as helpful and supportive as this one, sign up and make a log!

Truckman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 07:14:31 AM »
Check out my most recent pictures at the end of that thread to see where I'm at now.

Holy hell!  That's awesome!  Very motivating...  I signed up, same name..

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »

Never hard to spot an LA Fitness.

Aphalite

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »

Try intermittent fasting on the days you don't lift, and eat extra on the days you do: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/11/how-to-gain-20-pounds-in-28-days-the-extreme-muscle-building-secrets-of-ufc-fighters/

He was being insane of course, but the same principles apply

roboto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »
Love the thread!

I'm F, and post injuries my maxes are 95 BP 215 DL, still working my way back up on SQs!

Hitting the gauntlet #s would be badass.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »
Here are my one rep maxes from about two years ago, when I was really into one rep maxes.

Squat: 320
Deadlift: 425
Bench: 190

I have no idea why my bench is so weak. At the moment, I do three sets of five, plus some cooldowns, plus a mile run, kettlebell work, ab work, running, rows, boxjumps, and burpees. It's a pretty tough workout, but my one rep maxes are slowly but surely increasing. My current deadlift max is probably well into the three hundreds, squats are probably in the mid to high two hundreds, and my bench is still terribly low.

As far as nutrition goes, I just make sure that I get enough protein and nutrients. On a typical day I eat oats soaked in milk, boiled eggs, a protein shake, pasta, baked sweet potatoes with cheese, a sandwich with pesto, mozz and roasted red bell peppers, broccoli, and then some kind of desert for those extra calories. It's cheap, decent tasting, quick to prepare, and pretty nutritious.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 07:54:52 AM »
I've been trying to get into lifting over the past few months.  I taught myself out of Starting Strength and acquired all the necessary equipment, but when I hurt my upper back deadlifting I backed off a bit.  It's mostly the overhead press and the deadlift that make me nervous -- I don't want to risk losing biking time due to a lifting injury, but I do want to get stronger.

These were my 3x5 maxs (never tried for 1-rep).  I am a weak, novice lady.
Bench: 65#
Press: 45# and I worked for it.
Squat: 120#
Dead: 140# is when I hurt myself

I haven't really figured out what I'm going to do about this moving forward.  I've just been deading super light (~80#s).  Is it terrible to just bench and squat and play with (band assisted) pull ups?

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 08:32:25 AM »
I don't call deadlift as "critical" as squatting despite personally being signficantly better at it than squatting, but assessing the root cause has some value. Are you taking the slack out of your arms / the bar before you pull or do you do that rip and go thing, where you see people do a fast little dip and pull with their shoulders when they start the ? Or you may be letting your thoracic spine bow while pulling - starting this way is fine, going into it during the pull is not. Where is the injury located?

Also is this a chronic issue or just one time? If it's just the first time, welcome to the club of injured powerlifting, population - everyone. If it's chronic then further assessment would be needed.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »
I had some spasming in my upper back a few times after deadlifting, which I ignored, until I could no longer stand up straight and couldn't ignore it anymore.  I am sure it's a form issue.  I had two separate PTs try to teach me proper form, but it seems so easy to slip into the wrong position so now I am nervous to try and also just generally confused at this point.

The PT compared my injury to whiplash caused by a car accident, in the traps, and also said there were some postural issues at play (I do sit all day at a computer).  He said I probably lost tension in my pinched shoulder blades.  The other said I probably "got in front of" the bar. 

This happened three months ago and I still have some functional pain if I do a lot of cooking or cleaning (or sometimes even just randomly), which is why I'm scared.  I can deal with an injury that keeps me away from the bar for up to a month, but I am too young for functional pain in my daily life, for an activity I am mainly just doing for my health!

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »
I've been trying to get into lifting over the past few months.  I taught myself out of Starting Strength and acquired all the necessary equipment, but when I hurt my upper back deadlifting I backed off a bit.  It's mostly the overhead press and the deadlift that make me nervous -- I don't want to risk losing biking time due to a lifting injury, but I do want to get stronger.

These were my 3x5 maxs (never tried for 1-rep).  I am a weak, novice lady.
Bench: 65#
Press: 45# and I worked for it.
Squat: 120#
Dead: 140# is when I hurt myself

I haven't really figured out what I'm going to do about this moving forward.  I've just been deading super light (~80#s).  Is it terrible to just bench and squat and play with (band assisted) pull ups?
Starting Strength can give the false impression that its impossible to get strong without The Almighty Deadlift.

While the deadlift is an incredible exercise, it's just one of many tools to get stronger. No one exercise is "necessary". I love deadlifting, but I am cautious of it. I've heard of a few people that have sustained life changing injuries from their deadlift form slipping. Herniated disc is my #1 fear... Mess your back up like that and it's probably never going to heal.

Challenges like this thread are fun and healthy motivation, but let's all keep things in perspective. We are recreational lifters trying to stay in shape, not elite competitive powerlifters. Do what you're comfortable with. If that means deadlifting super light to dial in your form, keep at it. If that means taking a break completely, fine. Mark Rippetoe isn't going to be there if you get hurt.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »
I like this challenge.  I just started strength training again. A little about myself, I am 5'5" 125lbs female.  The most I've ever done was maybe 1.5 years ago my max was:
bench: 120
squat: 200
dead lift: didn't try to max out, but at the time I could do 175, 5 times. 

I stopped working out as I started to need a weight belt to go higher on squat which didn't feel right at the time.  And damn that bench!  Could not quite get it to my weight (although I did not try starving myself for a couple days to try and drop 5 pounds...probably for the best).

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »
Mark Rippetoe isn't going to be there if you get hurt.

Actually I posted on his forums when I hurt myself totally freaking out and he invited me to call him at his gym!  Super, super nice guy, but I am still nervous about deadlifting teaching myself from books and videos.  It seems (maybe this is inaccurate) that most people who lift learned it during sports in high school/college, which is an experience I never got.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »

Actually I posted on his forums when I hurt myself totally freaking out and he invited me to call him at his gym!  Super, super nice guy, but I am still nervous about deadlifting teaching myself from books and videos.  It seems (maybe this is inaccurate) that most people who lift learned it during sports in high school/college, which is an experience I never got.

I learned my form from Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, which is a weighty tome with great pictures. Arnold's autobiographical portions are wonderfully insane, and the meat of the book is how to do various exercises with boatloads of pictures on how to execute with proper form.

I also had a workout buddy, equally not-formerly-trained, who would police me on form.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 01:55:43 PM »
Glad this is taking off!

Eat big, lift big, get big!

instagram.com/alex_zenlifting

If any of you want to follow along on IG.

roboto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »

It would be good to video yourself deadlifting to critique on your form (maybe compare to proper form videos - jus sayin, lots of snapcity deadlift videos out there). I find that my deadlift form problems usually come from me not sitting low enough into the start of the lift, due to hamstring tightness which causes the back to arch.  It would be best to have a workout partner correct you though, but not everyone have a lifting partner.

Also you don't have to do any exercise that you don't want to! It's really your choice, but deadlift is a badass exercise to slay IMO :-) Just don't hurt yourself trying to force out the lift.

droopybritches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
Hello all - Brand new to Mustachianism and looking forward to learning from all the long 'staches here.  There are significant parallels between the life of enjoyable frugality and the way of the barbell, in my opinion.  Both require a lot of discipline in the face of ubiquitous pressure to otherwise.  Both require being able to recognize that which is not readily apparent on a day-to-day basis.  That is, every dollar that isn't spent and every rep that is completed are like little grains of sand.  Having that grain of sand doesn't seem like a significant step toward success on its surface.  However, after many, many days of diligence, those individuals grains of sand grow, eventually amassing into a giant fucking castle of financial independence and a mountain of physical strength -- both of which are truly bad ass accomplishments of discipline and dedication.

So, I love this challenge and would be happy to help out with the lifting heavy things part in exchange for help with my 'stash.

I started lifting in October 2012 using Rippetoe/Kilgore Starting Strength, eventually moving to a modified Wendler 5/3/1 program.   At the beginning, my bench/squat/deadlift was 155/195/215.  I have some lifting background from my younger days, so moved up pretty quickly over the first 4 months, then started the slog of incremental gains.  Today, roughly 18 months in, I'm at 315/360/470 (I've got a bad knee, which hampers my squat progress a bit, but I'm either getting to 400 or buying a wheelchair).  Bodyweight has gone from a soft 187 to a much less soft 202 at 5'9". 

I can't recommend this life enough.  Few things are totally under your control, but as long as one has health and motivation, financial independence and strength are two such things.  Grab both by the horns/balls/throat and drive on!

Peter

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »
Yup, doing this. We started a fitness challenge a couple weeks ago at work and it's helpful to motivate to lift 3-4 times/week. It's really only a 3-5hour/week commitment that I know will make me healthy and change my life... why is it so damn hard to JUST DO IT? haha

Current 1RM - 190/230/290

i WILL hit the posted targets by March 31st 2015! Damnit!

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »

I was hoping to see some more weight loss, but if anything I've seen a slight gain (started in the 214-217 range).  I have noticed actual muscle growth which I think is pretty damned cool and impressive.  All the little bits here and there over the years that I've attempted to lift/exercise, I've never seen any growth. I definitely need to get better control over my diet, though.

Have you seen this: http://anthonymychal.com/

I just look at the free stuff. He writes about strength training for skinny-fat people. I wouldn't consider myself skinny-fat, but I think I have some of the characteristics.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
I think I can hit the goals for women, haha! I haven't done any max lifts for a while, but last time it was about 170/170/250. My squat is week compared to the others. I've only been doing serious barbell training for a few months.

The men's goals seem really high for me. My goals for weightlifting are to do it consistently, give it my best each time, and make improvements each time. I'd also like to hit the Intermediate goals here: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

I weigh around 165, so that'd be 187/250/293. Although I'll hopefully gain some weight as I get stronger.

Anyone who can do 300/400/500 is a fuckin' beast!

Truckman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »

No I haven't. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Have you seen this: http://anthonymychal.com/

I just look at the free stuff. He writes about strength training for skinny-fat people. I wouldn't consider myself skinny-fat, but I think I have some of the characteristics.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
I think I can hit the goals for women, haha! I haven't done any max lifts for a while, but last time it was about 170/170/250. My squat is week compared to the others. I've only been doing serious barbell training for a few months.

The men's goals seem really high for me. My goals for weightlifting are to do it consistently, give it my best each time, and make improvements each time. I'd also like to hit the Intermediate goals here: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

I weigh around 165, so that'd be 187/250/293. Although I'll hopefully gain some weight as I get stronger.

Anyone who can do 300/400/500 is a fuckin' beast!

You can definitely do it man! I plan on hitting 300/400/500 this year at 165 and at the same weight 400/500/600 in the next few years.

Improving week by week is all we can do.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement! I was planning on getting my lifts up to the Intermediate Crossfit Standards and then just maintaining, but why not keep going, yeah? What do you think is a reasonable rate to increase the weight. Some of the programs say 5 lbs each session. I am making gains but not that fast. Maybe I don't eat enough, or spend too much time biking and other things.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
Squat today:  125# for 4 reps x 2
Deadlift: 155# for 6 reps x 2

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 06:43:47 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement! I was planning on getting my lifts up to the Intermediate Crossfit Standards and then just maintaining, but why not keep going, yeah? What do you think is a reasonable rate to increase the weight. Some of the programs say 5 lbs each session. I am making gains but not that fast. Maybe I don't eat enough, or spend too much time biking and other things.

The most important thing is figuring out what is right for you and going after that.

5 lbs is typically beginners gain weekly. It really depends on what you're doing. I'd be jumping in the going crazy happy if I was hitting 5 lbs a month right now haha but my main focus is cutting weight.

I believe in increasing the weight whenever you hit all your numbers of sets and reps.

i.e. plan is to hit 225 on squat for 2x5 and hit get that you could do 230-235 the next week. That week you get 1x5 and 1x4 you keep the weight the same, when you get 2x5 you add the following week.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2014, 01:44:49 PM »

The most important thing is figuring out what is right for you and going after that.

5 lbs is typically beginners gain weekly. It really depends on what you're doing. I'd be jumping in the going crazy happy if I was hitting 5 lbs a month right now haha but my main focus is cutting weight.

I believe in increasing the weight whenever you hit all your numbers of sets and reps.

i.e. plan is to hit 225 on squat for 2x5 and hit get that you could do 230-235 the next week. That week you get 1x5 and 1x4 you keep the weight the same, when you get 2x5 you add the following week.

Thanks. That's similar to what I do, although I am doing 5x5, except 3x5 on the deadlift. If it's a struggle to get my 5x5, I'll make a note of it in my journal and next time do the same weight with the goal of not having to struggle with it.

I got my lady to start lifting with me too! Yesterday I showed her how to squat and bench with the bar, and how to row with a 2x4 since the bar was too heavy. Next time it's the deadlift, OH press, and chins.

What do you do for the fat loss? I like to take short, fast bike rides and do circuits of body-weight exercises without rest.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »

Thanks. That's similar to what I do, although I am doing 5x5, except 3x5 on the deadlift. If it's a struggle to get my 5x5, I'll make a note of it in my journal and next time do the same weight with the goal of not having to struggle with it.

I got my lady to start lifting with me too! Yesterday I showed her how to squat and bench with the bar, and how to row with a 2x4 since the bar was too heavy. Next time it's the deadlift, OH press, and chins.

What do you do for the fat loss? I like to take short, fast bike rides and do circuits of body-weight exercises without rest.

My diet takes care of the details. In a very un-mustachian manner I hired a trainer to do my training and it's been the best investment I've ever made in myself.

serious_pete

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
I lift weights twice a week to supplement my judo. I've pretty much been a life long combat sports guy but took a 4 year hiatus where I just lifted weights. I ended up getting into Olympic lifting and strongman and competed in both at a low level.

My lifts are about 75% of what they were when I was competing with bests of a very deep squat at 175kg (385 lb) x3 and a deadlift of 230kg (506). I've never really benched but could push press 100kg (220)x 3. A push press is sort of like a cheating press that you start with your legs.

My training schedule is a follows:

Day one:
Squat
Press
Farmers walks

Day two:
Power clean
Pull ups
Complex or circuit

I'll supplement this with a bit of bodybuilding type stuff. Dips, press ups, good mornings, rows, curls, that sort of thing. I'm guessing that right now my numbers would look a bit like sq 330/ b 200/ dl 440.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
Starting to come out of being sick. 225 for 3x8 on squat, 135 for 3x10 on bench, 3x10 chinups. Trying to get rid of my knee cave and get my lungs back. Been coughing up green all week too, which I'm hoping means recovery is almost complete.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
Awesome guys!

http://www.liveliftsit.com/

Trying out the blog thing check it out, I'll have a post weekly covering my lifts for that week.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!