Author Topic: Life expectancy of consumer electronics  (Read 8436 times)

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
Life expectancy of consumer electronics
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:49:57 PM »
Not really much of a gauntlet compared to some of the others in this forum, but I ran across this lifecycle study and thought I would start this as kind of a survey. I don't see a 2015 study on their website so I'm going with the 2014 figures.

Flat panel television 7.4 years --> I have a Mitsubishi DLP projection set which is about eight years old. I don't use it that much but it's had several lamp replacements and a DVM chip replacement ($$$) during that time. I expect to replace it with a real flat panel in the next few years.

Digital camera 6.5 years --> I have a 10 year old Casio which still takes excellent photos (better than my phone) but probably needs a new battery.

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> I have a Panasonic Blu ray player just over 2 years old. It replaced a 3 year old Sony which died and was replaced once under warranty. That replaced a ~7 year old Apex which died.

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> I have a 4+ year old iMac. Recently upgraded to a SSD, will easily exceed the 6 year mark before I replace. Will probably replace both the desktop and laptop with a laptop (possibly not a Mac) and dock it to a monitor/keyboard.

Video game console 5.7 years --> None. I do have a first-gen Chromecast.

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> I have a 4+ year old MacBook Air. Still very fast, battery still holds a good charge with 750+ discharge cycles. As above, will easily exceed the average. Will probably get replaced at the same time as the desktop with a single machine.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> 3 year old iPad mini. It is very slow. Not sure I will be able to resist upgrading once the iPad Air 3 comes out. I used to dislike the full size iPad, but have warmed up now that they are thinner and lighter.

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> Don't have one.

Smartphone 4.6 years --> 2 year old Nexus 4, which replaced a 3 year old iPhone 4, which replaced a 3 year old iPhone. Would like to go back to the iPhone because I think privacy is better on that platform, but I do like the form factor of the Nexus 5x. Battery life is poor, but the Nexus 4 is still very responsive and feels faster than the iPad mini, maybe it will last me longer than 3 years?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Life expectancy of consumer electronics
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
Replace the battery on your Nexus 4 if the battery life is getting crappy.

I repair/replace/refurbish a lot of electronics as a side gig.  It's nothing fancy, but it does pay for some toys.  I've replaced ~30 Nexus 5 batteries at work at a $15/battery profit, plus repaired maybe half a dozen screens at... more profit.  Plus reselling devices, collecting used hardware, etc.  It's a nice little niche to play in.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:29:11 AM »
Battery life on the Nexus was not that great when it was new, so I'm not sure the battery is the problem. I've replaced some iPhone 5c screens for people. Tried to do an iPad once and it was terrible. Couldn't get the adhesive off, even with a heating pad and a hair dryer. Farmed it out to one of the repair services and ate the increased cost. Lesson learned!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 07:36:56 PM »
I'll bite. :)

Flat panel television 7.4 years - I bought a JVC LCD TV off Gumtree earlier this year. I'd estimate it to be about six years old. Still works fine, although it doesn't support MPEG-4 broadcasts.

Digital camera 6.5 years - I've got a Canon camera I bought in mid-2008. Still works fine, but sees very little use as I've now got a smartphone.

No desktop computer, DVD player or game console (I've got a Chromecast though).

Laptop computer 5.5 years - I bought my MacBook Pro in April 2009. I'd like something lighter and with better battery life, but I'm baulking at the cost. Honestly I think I'm going to stick with this until I move somewhere with more space (read: room for a desk) then buy an iMac.

Tablet computer 5.1 years -  I've got a third-gen iPad, purchased in early 2012. It's not the fastest gun in the West, but still works OK. It's a bit of a heavy brute compared to newer models though. Part of me is keen on replacing it, but currency drops mean the iPads are now more expensive than I'm comfortable with.

Smartphone 4.6 years - I've got a two month old LG G3, which replaced an iPhone 5 that was nearly three years old.

I reckon 4.6 years is pushing it for the typical smartphone (especially something that isn't an iPhone). Three or four, sure.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
I'll jump in as well! This is something I am trying to improve on... It looks like our belongings are pretty new overall. Pre mustachian me LOVED buying electronics. I still do... but at least I am lusting over a $80 single board computer to use as a server instead of a new laptop. And I am resisting for now, and have reduced the urge frequency.

Flat panel television 7.4 years --> 5+ years - Don't have one, but we have a 24" computer monitor we use for the same purpose. Bought  used about 4 years ago, it was made sometime in 2010. 5+ years. - Doing only OK on this one.. the monitor has some quirks (you cannot turn it on if you have a displayport cable connected, but it works fine if you power it on first....) so hopefully it doesn't die on us soon.

Digital camera 6.5 years --> 6+ years - I use a Nikon D60, from 2009. 6+ years, no intention of replacing it anytime soon. The lenses we use on it most often are from the 70's.. We also have a point and shoot, Canon G9. 8 years old, but it doesn't get used much. No cameras are needing replacement, both work great with their original batteries, and take great photos. - We are doing ok here!

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> None, we hook up the laptop for this.

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> Less than 1 year- Well.. we built a nice gaming computer this past summer. It is overkill, but was only around $700. Good components, SSD, and a cheap but functional case. I sold my old desktop before moving across country, and we missed having a powerful computer for a couple games plus general heavy use for tasks where the laptops are agonizingly slow. - I need to not upgrade this computer, and use it for a good long time!

Video game console 5.7 years --> None. See desktop.

Laptop computer 5.5 years -->5 years - Two 5 year old thinkpads. Both are "slow", neither will be replaced anytime soon. I may replace the hard drives with cheap SSDs.. a luxury item but the hard drives are slow and dying. - Doing ok, but the SSD upgrade is certainly mainly hedonistic adaptation

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> 2 years Nexus 7 2013. The kitchen recipe computer and etc.. We really don't need it.. but it's two years old - I think even having this plus smartphones isn't perfectly mustachian. It is older than our smartphones though

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> I should sell the nokias we have

Smartphone 4.6 years --> Under 1 year. Moto E and G- bought to reduce texting spending. It has worked, and they are nice, but we have not yet broken even.

Lady Fordragon

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »
I'll join in!

Roku Smart flat panel television 2 mos. old - We had a Polaroid TV that was 7 years old whose color starting going bad.  We did manage to fix it, but that was after we had already bought a new TV.  We ended up giving our TV to a friend.

Canon point and shoot digital camera 10+ years - I still use this camera when I go on vacation.  It works pretty well.  I had to replace one of the batteries several years ago.

Dynex blu ray player 2+ years - Gave our old blu ray player to in-laws.  Bought this fairly inexpensive one to replace ours.

Acer desktop computer 6+ years - This still works great.  We just need to update the operating system since it's still running Windows vista.

9+ year old PlayStation 2 and 6 year old Nintendo Wii - Both work great.

Laptop computer - None for me, but my husband did just buy a small used Acer laptop on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago.

Google Nexus 7 tablet computer 3 years - This was a wedding gift from my husband that I'm using to write this post.  It can be slow at times, but it still works!

Samsung Seek non-smartphone 5+ years - This was my primary phone up until May of this year, which is when I got an iPhone.  I now keep the Samsung phone as a backup.

iPhone 5 smartphone 2+ years - I got this phone from my SIL for free when she decided to upgrade. :-)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:09:32 AM by Lady Fordragon »

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »
Smart TV 3.5 yrs ($600)- First TV and I expect it to last many more years. I don't use it as a TV though.

Digital camera - none,  unless you count the ones on my phone and tablet.

DVD player 5yrs ($35) - First DVD player, region free and capable of playing a variety of file types.  Still working, and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.

Smartphone 5yrs ($150) - First smartphone and I had to pay full price since I didn't want to be in contract.  It still works fine and I don't plan to replace it until it dies. I'm searching the market for something similar to this T-MOBILE Comet, with much better memory and processing power,  but couldn't find anything to my liking so far.

Desktop 10yrs+($3,000) --> 3.5yrs ($200 for 2) - Fried the motherboard of my first PC while cleaning.  Replaced it with 2 faster,  sleeker,  better machines for peanuts. No more upgrade for this.

Laptop 5yrs ($200) - currently using,  but eyeing the new Surfacebook.

Video game console 14yrs ($150) - this PS2 is really worth the money.  No more upgrade until massive breakthrough in virtual reality.

Tablet 3 months ($300) - It's new!

Non-smartphone 16yrs - this Nokia phone is built like a brick.  I unlocked it and still use it whenever I travel abroad.  At the beginning of the year,  the phone failed to update the time and it turned out the software didn't have data for 2015 onward. LOL.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:32:45 PM by votu »

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 08:15:25 PM »
I had a couple of weak moments. Facepunch time!

Flat panel television 7.4 years --> 0.0 year Insignia Roku TV. The Mitsubishi had some issues which I won't make excuses for. Found an Insignia Roku TV on sale and bought it. Did not need or buy a 4K TV.

Smartphone 4.6 years --> 0.0 year Apple iPhone 6s. Battery seems to last forever compared to the Nexus. Like the ability to customize privacy (especially location data) settings for each individual app, which was not a feature of the Nexus.

Mountainbug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »
Laptop computer- still using a MacBook from 2007. Pretty sure it's on it's last leg though. I'm hoping they still make them to last!

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 07:44:38 AM »
Laptop computer- still using a MacBook from 2007. Pretty sure it's on it's last leg though. I'm hoping they still make them to last!

That is about the age of my dad's MacBook. It is showing its age. No longer supported on the newer versions of OS X and doesn't have enough power to cast a browser window to Chromecast. They are still well made. I would avoid the current MacBook, it is basically a netbook in terms of computing power. The MacBook Air or Pro are still good.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »
Household of two adults:

Flat panel television - don't have one.  One of our computer monitors is six years old, the other is nearly brand new.  No reason both shouldn't last for years.
Digital camera - cheapie point and shoot Canon that sees very light usage is 6.5 years old, Canon 5D Mark II is 7 years old (~193,000 shutter actuations, sees very heavy use).  The Mark II will probably need a new shutter sometime in the next year or two.
DVD player - n/a
Desktop Computer - Four years since last substantially upgraded (CPU/motherboard/RAM).  May upgrade mid-2016 at the earliest.  Old parts will be recycled into Frankenstein's PC.
Blu-ray player - n/a
Video game console - I've never had one break that wasn't an Xbox 360.  I think the only one I still have lying around is a SNES, which is about 23 years old.
Laptop - Five year old Thinkpad that looks brand new.  This will probably be "replaced" sometime next year, turning it from my GF's laptop to mine, where it will last until it falls apart (she needs a powerful laptop; I don't).
Tablet - No.  Not no tablet, not no how.
non-smartphone - n/a, last one I had lasted about three years.
Smartphone - One is two years old, the other nearly brand new.  Last one replaced was four years old and falling apart.

My girlfriend is a professional photographer, so that influences some of our upgrade paths (we wouldn't have the fancy new monitor, or be planning to upgrade the computers next year otherwise).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:27:49 AM by ketchup »

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:04:11 AM »
Flat panel television 7.4 years --> We have a 9 year old 40" Sony Bravia LCD.  The thing works great still but unfortunately for the past year or so has had some dead pixels.  My son hit it with a matchbox car and killed them :( .  I don't even see them any more but I know it drives my husband crazy, especially when watching sports, and he asked for a new TV for Christmas so I've been pricing black friday sales...  I can't believe how much cheaper they are now.

Digital camera 6.5 years --> I have a Nikon DSLR that's about 2 years old.  I only break it out for special occasions so I see it lasting a long time.

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> We have a 5-6 year old $20 Walmart who knows what the brand name is blu-ray player is but we hardly ever use it.  I don't know if we'd bother replacing it if/when it breaks.

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> We do not have one.

Video game console 5.7 years --> My parents got us a Wii for Christmas not long after they first came out about maybe 6 years ago and it's just sat there.  My 4 year old daughter has just discovered it and so I think it may start getting some use, lol.  It's practically brand new.

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> We have a 5 or 6 year old ultra book.  It only gets used for doing taxes, uploading pictures to the web, and rental property management and still going strong.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> We have 2 iPad Minis, one for each kid (totally worth every black Friday deal penny ~$80 each, wifi only).  One is about 2 years old and the other is about 3 years old.  One of them is having an issue playing videos (any videos in any app!) since I upgraded the iOS 2 months ago and is slooow.  Not sure what/if I'm going to do anything about it (probably not, sorry kids, you get to share the one that works).

Smartphone 4.6 years --> I have a 2 year old iPhone 5c, still like brand new (thanks otterbox).  My husband has a 6 year old or more! iPhone 4.  He's REALLY been holding out on getting a new phone as he hates how big they've gotten.  He's been holding the broken back on with a literal bandaid for months.  He finally broke the front screen too and is having trouble swiping across the cracks.  He ordered a refurbed iPhone 5s that should arrive tomorrow.  He's excited to be on the same iOS as the rest of the family so he can use "the cloud" lol.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »
Like the ability to customize privacy (especially location data) settings for each individual app, which was not a feature of the Nexus.

Which Nexus device?  M adds this capability.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 02:35:52 PM »
Like the ability to customize privacy (especially location data) settings for each individual app, which was not a feature of the Nexus.

Which Nexus device?  M adds this capability.

Nexus 4. In Android 5.1 on the Nexus 4, you consent to whatever permissions the app wants at the time of installation with no way to change them.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »
Ah, the Nexus 4 doesn't get M without going to a third party ROM.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 06:33:11 PM »

Flat panel television 7.4 years --> None

Digital camera 6.5 years --> It lasted 6 years and was working great until it hit a rock on a glacier glissade. Current Canon is 3 years old.

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> None

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> Current rig is 3 years old. I'll upgrade the graphics card and CPU in a year or so.
   SSD --> Lasted just under 3 years and was replaced under warranty.

Video game console 5.7 years --> None.

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> Current Macbook is 3 years old. Previous Macbook lasted 4 years. Partner has an 8 year old Macbook limping along (battery and charger replaced at least once).

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> None.

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> 5 years. Someone stepped on the front flip screen, cracking it, but it otherwise works.

Smartphone 4.6 years --> None.

Piwakawaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »
Flat panel television 7.4 years --> None

Digital camera 6.5 years --> A Canon 60D which was released in 2011. This I picked up second hand recently to replace my Canon 40D from 2007, which was also a second hand find. So 5 years I guess?

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> None

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> Nope

Video game console 5.7 years --> Nada

Laptop computer 2.0 years --> A 2013 Macbook Pro. Should be good for another five years at the very least.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> No dice.

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> Gone.

Smartphone 4.6 years --> A refurbished Iphone 5c I bought cheap in October this year. 0.2 years?

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
Flat panel television 7.4 years --> never owned one

Digital camera 6.5 years --> don't own one anymore. The one i had was 6 years old when I gave it away last summer. Since smartphone cameras are so good, I don't need a digital camera anymore. I'm not a photography geek anyway, I just point and shoot. + I like the automatic image upload to Dropbox a smartphone offers.

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> never owned one

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> My previous PC lasted me 8.5 years, and I mainly replaced it because I got my current one for free: 2nd hand HP desktop that I've now had for 2 years. It's the kind they use in offices and replace probably every 2 years, si it's probably 4 years old now, and still going strong.  When this one dies, I might get some kind of stick-PC with Ubuntu or Chrome OS. No need for massive local storage or processor power, since everything is in the cloud anyway.

Video game console 5.7 years --> never owned one

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> Got one from my employer half a year ago, no idea when they'll replace it. Not my concern.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> 4 yo iPad 2 that I got as a present from my then-boss. Still going strong though it's getting slower and Safari crashes sometimes. Will surely not replace when it dies. Might get an e-reader though.

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> don't own one anymore. My previous Nokia 6230i lasted 7 years. The SonyEricsson and Ericsson I owned before the Nokia only lasted 2 years each :(

Smartphone 4.6 years --> Low-end Huawei a little over 3 years and still going strong.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:48:43 AM by DagobertDuck »

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 02:17:12 PM »
 the tv in the bedroom is still a tube tv, only flat screen is in the living room; not even sure how old; but i was one of the last people i knew to buy one.

and the iphone is a 4.

and the stereo has casette decks.

and the computers were bought used/refurbished.

i think everyone of my newphews and neices have better computers and phones than i do and none of them are 15 yet.

***BTW, i picked up something at walmart's pickup counter last week and there were boxexs and boxes of tv's; which imo are no better today than the first day a flatscreen came out. everyone just had to get the latest; no wonder most people dont have $5,000 in savings.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:23:17 PM by Cougar »

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 02:43:44 AM »
I have a problem in this area.  I've been a tech geek and love all things in this realm.  This is something that i'm working on though.

Flat panel television 5 years --> I currently have a 55" Vizio smart tv that it doing an excellent job.  We purchased in 2012 when we bought our house.  It replaced a 4 year old 42" Vizio that had warranty work done and a board replacement after a couple of years.  Ended up selling that TV to help purchase the new one.

Digital camera 5+ years --> I have a 5 year old Nikon L110 that takes excellent pictures, but is never used anymore due to advancements in smartphone cameras.  We also have a Nikon AW110(?) that we take on vacation since it's water proof and submergible.  We've talked about selling the L110 numerous times. I just need to do it.

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 0 years --> I currently have an Xbox One and PS4 that fit these needs if needed.  We went all digital in 2015, so these needs really aren't relevant anymore.  Probably going to sell gaming consoles since we use Chromecasts in the house.

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> We have a 2015 iMac that's not even being used (need to sell) and my Windows based gaming desktop that I built in 2013.  This computer will last me a long time as I upgrade as needed.  I just upgraded the GPU which will net me 4+ extra years of usage.

Video game console 5.7 years --> Currently have Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Nintendo 64.  Really need to sell all these systems (except N64...it's my wifes from her childhood and doesn't want to part with it).  I have a beast of a gaming computer that fits all my gaming needs.  Buying all the new consoles is a problem that I know needs worked on.

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> We have an HP laptop from 2009 (needs sold or donated), Macbook from 2007 (needs sold or donated), wifes Macbook Air from 2012 that's still going strong, and my 2015 Macbook Pro.  For what I do on a laptop, my Macbook Pro should last me a long time. 

Tablet computer 5+ years --> We have a third gen iPad that my wife was given by her residency program (needs sold as we dont use it) and I have an iPad Mini 2 which gets used frequently for web browsing and YouTube.

Non-smartphone  --> LG Envy2.  Purchased this in 2014 as I tried to go away from smartphones to save money and my sanity (see below)...

Smartphone --> Currently on a 2015 Moto X Pure Edition, but also have an iPhone 6+ and a Galaxy S6.  Wife has an iPhone 6 (she doesn't care about having the latest and greatest as long as she has an iPhone).  I have a major problem with mobile tech.  I've always had to have the "latest and greatest" but constantly spending money on this is ending now. 

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 09:14:25 AM »
Flat panel television:  None

Digital camera:  None, use phone camera.

DVD player or recorder:  None, though my laptop has a DVD.

Desktop computer:  None

Video game console:  None

Laptop computer:  I really splurge here.  Two ThinkPad T420's purchased on ebay for $250 each.  One at home and one in the office.  Upgraded RAM for $50 each.  They're about 5 years old, though I've only owned them for a couple years.  Built like tanks, though.

Tablet computer:  None

Non-smartphone:  None

Smartphone:  Moto-G, 1 year old, $12/month plan.

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 09:25:12 AM »
Flat panel television:  None

Digital camera:  None, use phone camera.

DVD player or recorder:  None, though my laptop has a DVD.

Desktop computer:  None

Video game console:  None

Laptop computer:  I really splurge here.  Two ThinkPad T420's purchased on ebay for $250 each.  One at home and one in the office.  Upgraded RAM for $50 each.  They're about 5 years old, though I've only owned them for a couple years.  Built like tanks, though.

Smartphone:  Moto-G, 1 year old, $12/month plan.

One day I plan to be as tech frugal as you sir! Kudos. 

skeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
Flat panel television:  Had a Samsung F8500 51" Plasma...sold it due to two boards being replaced under warranty...made me too nervous...I'm a small videophile, while we have a 40" we got for free (which is 5 years old), I may replace it with something about 60" that may or may not be OLED.  Next time I'll buy a warranty with it.

DVD player or recorder: My marantz DVD810 refused to die, it was built forever ago, but like most engineering series for electronics, it is a tank.  Unfortunately due to blu-rays and the above comment of video's it was replaced with the Sony 5200 Bluray Player so far...its 1 year old.

Receiver and Speakers:
My Yamaha RX-V659 7.1 700watt amp is still rocking.  I bought that when I got my B&W 601S3's and the combo has rocked my house for the past 10 years.  Hands down, some of the best $600 I spent...(store was going out of business...the speakers alone retailed for $580).  For audio/video junkies, I fully support Yamaha as THE receiver to get.  I'm too much of a sound/video guy to consider downgrading to TV speakers.

Digital camera: I still rock a 6.1MP, Nikon D50 w 18mm-70mm DX lens.  DSLR's seem to built to take bullets.  The thing is 12 years old.  It used to be a hobby and wishful employment option...now it mostly takes kids birthday photos.  I'd sell it, but with the lens it is worth maybe $100...I get more use of it than that.

Desktop computer:  Hand-built, i5 2300, 8GB, 550Ti with many hard drives.  I utilize Onedrive for cloud services and through some give aways, have 100GB of available space.  This desktop's CPU, memory and mainboard is 4 years old.  The case, power supply, and several hard drives (bluray drive) are much older...the case I've had for 14 years (Antec P180).

Video game console: None--HTPC covers my needs, its 3 years old, and a hard drive seems to waving goodbye...it still works, allows for streaming from everything so I don't have to bother with 'smart features/apps'

Laptop computer: None

Smartphone:  Iphone 4s--part of the sprint's family wife has the same model.  It was pre-owned and needs replaced our plan is $55 for 10gb between the two phones.  That expires in January and will go to $85 for the two phones.  We will probably buy a used iphone 5 or 6...lifetime about 2 years.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »
Flat panel television 7.4 years --> I have a ~30in Sanyo tv that I inherited from my roommate when he moved out, probably about 4 years old. Don't use it that often, no plans to upgrade at the moment. Though I may try to find a remote for it since we lost the old one. It gets old having to get up and walk over to change the input or volume. 

Digital camera 6.5 years --> I have a super old Canon that I probably bought in 2006, but I don't even know where it is anymore. I use my phone camera.

DVD player or recorder 6 years --> don't have one, use Netflix etc for just about everything I watch

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> built in 2008/2009ish with a couple memory and video card upgrades along the way. Still works for some games but I don't play much that's too graphics/processor taxing (Starcraft, D3, Civ5) and frankly I don't use it much at all anymore.

Video game console 5.7 years --> None. I do have a first-gen Chromecast, and an old N64 that gets played once a year or so for Goldeneye and Super Smash.

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> I have a 2013 Macbook Pro that is provided by my employer, no complaints and it runs just fine.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> none, but I do have a 2012 Kindle that's still going strong

Smartphone 4.6 years --> Nexus 5, it's a refurbished one from Google that's about a year old that I got as a replacement under warranty. Runs fine, no plans to upgrade at this point

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »
Flat panel television: A Sony Bravia that's over five years old and seems destined to last a long time.

Digital camera: Five or six year old Canon, still looks new and works as well as when I bought it.

DVD player or recorder: A 16-year-old Toshiba that I've had half my life. It has played thousands of movies and should be good for thousands more.

Desktop computer:  None.

Video game console: None.

Laptop computer: Currently a $450 Lenovo that's about three years old and should last at least five or six years, like all my previous laptops.

Tablet computer: I received a Kindle Fire HD as a gift three years ago and expect it to last several more years.

Non-smartphone: None currently, but until recently I had a four-year-old prepaid feature phone that cost about $9.50/month.

Smartphone: LG Ultimate 2, one month old (and will hopefully last several years), should cost about $10/month through Tracfone since I keep the data turned off in favor of wi-fi and primarily use it for texting.

I never purchase high-end stuff, it's always whatever has the best reviews at the most reasonable price, and I seem to have good luck with electronics compared to friends and family who go through TVs and phones like candy. They always claim to have good reason for replacing those things, but one normally gets the idea they just wanted a shiny new distraction.

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »

I never purchase high-end stuff, it's always whatever has the best reviews at the most reasonable price, and I seem to have good luck with electronics compared to friends and family who go through TVs and phones like candy. They always claim to have good reason for replacing those things, but one normally gets the idea they just wanted a shiny new distraction.

Couldn't have said it better my self.  I know, I'm the king of coming up with this "good reasons".... hehe
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:20:47 AM by CodyAsh »

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 07:26:19 PM »
Flat panel television 7.4 years --> Two year old Panasonic 47" SMART LCD. The SMART isn't so smart since they never updated the firmware and Netflix rarely works right. Hard to complain for $300 on a smokin' sale at the time.

Digital camera 6.5 years --> Just bought the wife a $500 DSLR for Christmas even thought she never used the $250 PnS camera we bought on our honeymoon to replace the one that got wet. I never use a camera unless it's attached to my phone.

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> None.

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> None.

Video game console 5.7 years --> Using an Xbox360 for my gaming and as a DVD player for her. Got it a couple years ago used for $150.

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> A Dell bought used in 2009 for $150 missing a shift key and it's still going. Original HD died and got replaced with a SSD. Fan is loud but it mainly functions as a print server for my Chromebook these days unless I need a Windows function.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> 2 year old, refurb'd $150 HP Chromebook. Still plenty fast for browsing, way lighter than a full function laptop, and it has a keyboard because I HATE trying to type on touch screens/tablets.

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> Work phone is going on 4 years.

Smartphone 4.6 years --> 1.5 year old Samsung S5 Mini Duos. Like the phone, only use data on WiFi. Probably going to get sold when I get sick of AT&T constantly trying to slap me with a $30/month data plan on top of a $30/month phone charge. $10-17/month Republic is looking awful good lately.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 11:30:16 AM »
***BTW, i picked up something at walmart's pickup counter last week and there were boxexs and boxes of tv's; which imo are no better today than the first day a flatscreen came out. everyone just had to get the latest; no wonder most people dont have $5,000 in savings.

I'm not sure about the early flatscreen TVs, as I was a late adopter, but a lot of the early flatscreen computer monitors had washed-out looking colors. All the recent flatscreen TVs look good to me now.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 01:05:51 PM »
This is for a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids. 1 of the kids is in high school. Another starts next year. Another starts primary school next year.

Flat panel television:  Just bought one this year. I really like it. Its a smart TV and we can use Plex on it to stream from the main PC to the TV.
Digital camera:  We've had this for like 10 years. I'm not sure exactly how long but a long time. Its the only camera we've owned.
DVD player or recorder:  No need.
Desktop computer:  Yes. Linux self made desktop. Its awesome. Stores all my media and streams to the TV. Plus another family Linux desktop. They last and are always up to date. The main computer must be about 5 years old and the other computer 2 years old.
Video game console:  PS3. No idea how old this is.
Laptop computer:  1 for my daughter for school. Soon to be 2. My daughters is 1 year old. The kids need these for school.
Smartphone:  4 crappy ones. All on minimal plans. I find these things a waste of money and time. I also find that they break quicker than any other item that we have.

arpies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »
Flat panel television 7.4 years --> My 28" LCD monitor is still going strong after 5 years, and I have an old Samsung 19" LCD that's going on 12 without complaint. I also just got a 55" used, which is within a year old.

Digital camera 6.5 years --> N/A

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> See PC.

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> 5years old. SSD is amazing.When I bought it I got an Agility2 one of the least reliable SSDs ever made, that part died after 2.5ish years, but I replaced it with a Crucial. Might splurge on a new rig this year after debt freedom - I know it's not necessary or moustachian though.

Video game console 5.7 years --> See PC.

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> I had an IBM Thinkpad from 2003, it finally died last summer. I had replaced the battery twice, it was heavy but damned indestructible.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> ASUS Transformer T101 still going strong at about 3.5 years since I bought it used.

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> N/A.

Smartphone 4.6 years --> Nexus 5, the old one bought used. I've had it for just under a year, which replaced my Galaxy S2 also used, which I had for 2 years. My previous phone, an LG Phoenix is still serving my mom like a champ, at about 5 years of use now.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 05:59:42 PM »
My laptop was bought in Sept 2009. I have a 32 inch Magnavox HDTV that was bought in Aug 2008 (originally apt. living room TV but now house bedroom TV) that is still working great and a 47 inch Vizio HDTV that was bought in March 2010 which is working great (for living room when we bought house). I have a digital camera we bought in March 2009 that still works fine but we did get a better one (for free) in November 2013. Our Sony Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Player was received (also for free) in September 2012. What sucks about it now though is the youtube app no longer works on it as google no longer supports the youtube app for older sony wifi blu ray players like mine. I have a Roku that I bought in November 2012 (when I cut the cord) that works great.

hollis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 06:23:03 AM »
Not too Mustachian with my electronics it seems

Flat panel television 7.4 years --> Got a used one as a gift.  Not sure of the age.  ~5 years

Digital camera 6.5 years --> My sony worked for 4 years till it broke.  Just got a nikon a few months ago.

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> none

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> none (gathering dust in the corner)

Video game console 5.7 years --> I always save my old consoles.  Still have my original SNES

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> Chromebook 6 months.  Windows 10 laptop ~5 years.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> none

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> none

Smartphone 4.6 years --> just got a Moto E 2 weeks ago to switch to the Ringplus $0/month plan.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2015, 06:46:06 AM »
Flat panel television 7.4 years --> Never owned

Digital camera 6.5 years --> over 10 years, though hardly used now with tablets

DVD player or recorder 6 years / Blu ray player 5.8 years --> never owned

Desktop computer 5.9 years --> still running one that's over seven at least. May be a little more than that. But it's downgraded to playing old games these days.

Video game console 5.7 years --> None now. Did have an Atari when they were new and a Commodore 64 (for more than games) before that, but I don't remember how long they lasted, and I don't think they were the sort of tech we're talking about anyway.

Laptop computer 5.5 years --> I am now at 5.5 with my work laptop, and it's still solid, but it was (is) a professional level machine. Personal laptop is not that old (4 years?) and is in bad shape, though it still runs.

Tablet computer 5.1 years --> haven't had any that long, and I imagine very few people have. I question whether we can know this number, really. I'm at 3 years on one tablet and six months on another, both work-provided. I requested the second because the first is approaching the end of its OS update lifetime.

Non-smartphone 4.7 years --> my last ran without complaint for 10 years until AT&T gave me a free replacement with no contract requirement because they were phasing out support for the old one. However my husband killed several of the same model (all used except the first) so we bought him a used rugged phone that has held up better. Dropping from ladders, getting wet in pockets when the wearer works in the rain, getting sawdust in them, etc., is bad for nonrugged phones, who'd've thought?

Smartphone 4.6 years --> never owned

Edited out nasty code issues
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:58:17 AM by Rural »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2015, 07:37:55 AM »
I think the high failure rate in most of these things is due to heat and miniaturization.

I have a pinball machine The Addams Family from 1991 which still works perfectly yet has 7 or 8 boards in it.

I have a CO2 laser from 1981 that also works near perfect...the sealed laser tube should have failed about 30 years ago but hasn't.

These items were built on 2 layer circuit boards (*maybe* 4 layer for the pinball but I bet it is 2) which meant you had to put a lot more space between components just to be able to route the connecting traces.    A modern smartphone might have a 12 layer board!

Not to mention they pack about 10000 times as many transistors per chip now.