Author Topic: Lent 2017!  (Read 34587 times)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Lent 2017!
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2017, 01:22:26 PM »
You guys!!! It's a fasting day for me and I am super hungry!! Whine!

Can someone please tell me that I'm growing as a spiritual being?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »
You are a Big Spiritual Being! You are also hungry. I don't think hunger helps us grow, but I do think that commitment does, and that practices do, and that remembering there is more to life than sensory habits does :)   So, I think you're doing great!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »
You are a Big Spiritual Being! You are also hungry. I don't think hunger helps us grow, but I do think that commitment does, and that practices do, and that remembering there is more to life than sensory habits does :)   So, I think you're doing great!

Aww, thank you! I did manage to fast until dinner, but yesterday was the toughest day yet. I do have to remind myself that being a little bit hungry, with a refrigerator and pantry full of food is not a real problem.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2017, 07:16:36 AM »
I do have to remind myself that being a little bit hungry, with a refrigerator and pantry full of food is not a real problem.

:)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2017, 09:21:16 AM »
How's everyone's lenting?

I remain very happy in mine (not overfunctioning, esp in relation to kid disability). So many gains. I stopped doing my daily accountability email-to-friend early this week, because it was no longer needed.

The topic has gone in layers, starting from very superficial (but important) forms of overfunctioning to relational to internal. So good!!!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
How's everyone's lenting?

I remain very happy in mine (not overfunctioning, esp in relation to kid disability). So many gains. I stopped doing my daily accountability email-to-friend early this week, because it was no longer needed.

The topic has gone in layers, starting from very superficial (but important) forms of overfunctioning to relational to internal. So good!!!

I'm doing "fair to middling".  Thanks for the reminder to get back on track.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »
I was definitely in the doldrums for a little while, but today it's sunny and Mass was great. I'm all perked up. Hope it will stick around for a little while.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
I have thought about alcohol approximately twice since this whole thing started. I will have a glass of wine for Easter but I imagine my intake will be much reduced for the period going forward.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
It took a few weeks, but I've slowly stopped automatically opening Instagram dozens of times per day. Some of the mindless browsing time has moved over to Facebook and Pinterest, but overall I'm spending less time on social media.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
Used the credit card on Sunday. My MIL has been telling me about all of the rewards benefits of credit cards, and how I'm hurting the family by using only a debit card (I allow for Sunday deviations from my lenten discipline). This is the same mother-in-law who thought we were strange three years ago for financing a mattress. It's like she had a mustache and now she shaved it.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »
Used the credit card on Sunday. My MIL has been telling me about all of the rewards benefits of credit cards, and how I'm hurting the family by using only a debit card (I allow for Sunday deviations from my lenten discipline). This is the same mother-in-law who thought we were strange three years ago for financing a mattress. It's like she had a mustache and now she shaved it.

CC rewards are great if you pay off your whole balance each and every month. But if you can't, it's better to do without them. She may not be aware that you are carrying a balance. Anyway, it's none of her business.

I screwed up over the weekend and offered to help out somebody doing a volunteer website. Basically because he looked stressed and I felt bad for him. Now I will look stressed and others will feel bad for me. d'Oh!!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
It's like she had a mustache and now she shaved it.

...doing a volunteer website. Basically because he looked stressed and I felt bad for him. Now I will look stressed and others will feel bad for me. d'Oh!!

LOL!!!!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
Update: I just broke my other goal and logged into an investment account (in this case, my Roth IRA), transferring enough money to bonds to fill out my 2016 maximum contribution before the tax deadline. Yes, that deadline is after Easter, but it was gnawing on me that I'd get it done.

I'd resolved to pay off the low-interest debt before filling out that Roth (my marginal tax rate is currently 25%), but $675 got that account back up to 10% bonds. Debateably good investing, but I'm mad at myself anyway.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
Well folks, it's Holy Thursday. Allllllll, the cool church stuff starts today, and I intend to be butt-in-pew for every second.

For the people doing a religious Lent, any plan to finish off with a bang? Personally, I'm going to just keep on keepin' on. I'll fast tomorrow (I think, already fasted once this week, so maybe not). Then I'll eat some animal on Sunday.

For people doing non-religious Lent, do the last few days feel different in any way? Are they a celebration of what you've almost completed? Just the same? A slog?

What has everyone learned about themselves over the last 46 days of reflection? I learned that unlike my 2016 sacrifice of coffee, which I missed every day, I don't particularly miss meat, but being a vegan takes planning I'm unwilling to continue.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
I learned that I didn't really miss alcohol that much. I will have a glass of wine for Easter dinner, but no real other going out with a bang. I will probably drink much less often going forward. It was good for me.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
As we know, I adore Lent.
But I have no delight in anything Maundy Thursday onward, so I largely ignore all that.
Thankfully, arebelspy reminded me to get Easter stuff for my kid, so that's on!

This lent has been amazing.
I got down so many layers of that overfunctioning thing!!!
(So many, that I forgot to get Easter stuff for my kid!)
So grateful for that journey, as I am for every year's.

As rockstache misses alcohol not, my plan involves not returning to my previous overfunctioning :)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
I did violate the credit card thing once or twice, but--for the most part--I've been enjoying the debit card spending thing.

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
Christ is Risen!  I had a wonderful Holy Week and definitely finished Lent with a bang. 

As far as keeping the fast, the usual vegan practice went smoothly, and I definitely had more issues with not eating sweets during the week. A few times I consciously decided to eat them as a form of temptation bundling, when I essentially bribed myself to do homework by allowing myself to eat a handful of (dairy free) chocolate chips. Once or twice, I just succumbed when exhausted. But overall, it was a good practice. I certainly greatly reduced my consumption of desserts. Am I continuing it now? Nope. Having an afternoon snack of Easter bread and Lindt eggs.  I think after Bright Week, I may go back to the practice, though, as it's a good one for me.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2017, 06:26:33 AM »
I'm actually considering just always using my debit card from now on.

But I will have to start logging in and checking my investment accounts again. Time to see if I made some money!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
Well, it was a very good experience.  The few times I slipped up I certainly paid... for instance, because I promised to bake bread for my church's Easter breakfast, it was a real hassle because I ended up not even being in town for the event. So I had to get up at 5am on Saturday morning, bake the bread, then drop it off at the church on our way out of town.  Meanwhile, because I was overloaded, I forgot a whole bunch of other things, such as Easter egg dye,  the 18 eggs that I had boiled, and birthday presents for my niece and nephew. So I had to go shopping for those things all over again. And, now I have to return the egg dye + presents and eat 18 more eggs. 

Overall, I finished several projects that I had started a long time ago. I was forced to confront the reasons why I gave up each time, and either solve them or decide it wasn't a big deal.  This new emphasis on finishing projects is reducing clutter, saving me money, and is making me much happier.

Will I continue? It would probably be wise to go for a month extension. However I am wrestling the impulse to volunteer for the kids' school spring fair, church tag sale, and many other events.  Not sure if I will be able to stop myself!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
I was forced to confront the reasons why I gave up each time, and either solve them or decide it wasn't a big deal.

This -and the resulting effects- is so beautiful!!!

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »
Poundwise  I have loved reading about your efforts not finish things and not to take on new projects!  I totally identify with the impulse to overextend myself.  If I had 18 eggs to use up, I would make some potato salad and deviled eggs, and crumble eggs into green salad every night. Otherwise I'd get sick of egg salad before they were all gone.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
^ I admit, I would have just chucked all the extra eggs out, lol. After caring for my kid and life's other essentials, I don't overextend myself in any additional area!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2017, 08:11:10 AM »
Oooo!  Now I want deviled eggs.

This thread leads me to the conclusion that I should probably give up tea and this forum for Lent and start getting my to-do list completed.  I have been spending way too much time just aimlessly browsing the forum that I should be using getting things done.

So, after today, I will see everybody around Easter!

Wowza!  Now that's a Lenten goal!

Blessings (or best wishes, if you prefer - I really don't remember who is religious and who isn't!) and we'll see you in a little while...

Blessings and wishes are both fine.  :)  It's not as ambitious as it would be if I needed caffeine; I just like the taste of tea.  And here I am, using Fat Tuesday to the utmost, haha.

I learned that I really like tea.  A lot.  I missed it much more than I expected, especially on chilly evenings when it was drizzling out.  I have had so much tea since Lent ended.  Also, I encourage everyone to make Thai iced tea at home for fun, profit, and easy calories.  :)

Giving up the aimless internet and forum was much easier than expected, mostly because the first Monday of Lent had an ex-coworker who has started a tax prep business calling and asking my help for Tax Season, which just ended yesterday.  So, I had a full-time (or full-time-plus, depending on the week) job again that will likely continue in bits with extended returns for the next couple months.  This left no time for excessive internet stuff, as any free time was spent cooking, cuddling DBF + watching movies, reading, and playing with my parrot.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »
After a month and a half of no alcohol, having two drinks last night while watching television made me feel like absolute shit this morning. I'm predicting a lot more temperance in my future.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
I was forced to confront the reasons why I gave up each time, and either solve them or decide it wasn't a big deal.

This -and the resulting effects- is so beautiful!!!

Poundwise  I have loved reading about your efforts not finish things and not to take on new projects!  I totally identify with the impulse to overextend myself.  If I had 18 eggs to use up, I would make some potato salad and deviled eggs, and crumble eggs into green salad every night. Otherwise I'd get sick of egg salad before they were all gone.

Thanks! :)  I feel great whenever I see my son wearing the sweater I finished knitting, and look at other projects around the house that I've made progress on.

It was actually more than 18 eggs. On Easter we ended up boiling and dyeing 30 more eggs. Then exactly zero of the extended family, adults and kids, ate eggs at breakfast.  That day I choked down 5 eggs by myself. I managed to leave 9 with my sister, but was sent home with the remaining 16. So to end my little math problem, this left our family of 5 with 34 boiled eggs to consume!

Son #1 never eats boiled eggs, so he has been no help. Son #2 usually eats them, but decided he doesn't like them any more this week, just to make my life difficult. Mr. Poundwise graciously consumed 2 deviled eggs on Sunday night, but has been useless since.  So it has been up to me and Baby Poundwise (who fortunately will eat 3 at a time) to pick up the slack.

I made a chef salad with cold cuts and boiled eggs two nights ago and nobody would touch it. :~(  I'm giving us a rest today.

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
It was actually more than 18 eggs. On Easter we ended up boiling and dyeing 30 more eggs. Then exactly zero of the extended family, adults and kids, ate eggs at breakfast.  That day I choked down 5 eggs by myself. I managed to leave 9 with my sister, but was sent home with the remaining 16. So to end my little math problem, this left our family of 5 with 34 boiled eggs to consume!

Sounds a bit like a word problem.  Poundwise has 34 boiled eggs. If Poundwise and her baby each eat 3 a day, how many days will it take to eat all the eggs?  Answer: Too many!

MrV will also happily eat 3 hardboiled eggs in a sitting, so I don't have any trouble using them up at my house. We had about a dozen, and I think there is only one left.

But this is a tasty casserole: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/asparagus-casserole  Perhaps not super kid friendly, though.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2018, 07:43:15 AM »
Hee hee, I had completely forgotten about my Easter egg math dilemma!

As I recall, we sadly did end up throwing away some eggs after all that. But it was less than 6, so it wasn't too bad considering that it was only me and the baby eating eggs that had been cooked for 15 people. And we did not die of cholesterol poisoning; the only result is that I got sick of boiled eggs and Baby Poundwise grew slightly bigger.

She just ate 3 eggs this morning.

Anyway, who's in for another Lenten challenge?  I will start a new thread for this year.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »
But we're way in Lent already! Some of us are doing Whole 30 [or an equivalent pre-determined, intentional meal plan facing our biggest food pieces) for the 46 days.