Author Topic: Lent 2017!  (Read 34583 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Lent 2017!
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
But in general, I have been putting the kabosh on new initiatives.  As a reward, I have been finishing projects, some of them many years old, at a tremendous rate! 

Tell us more!  (if you want)  Personally, I've been fairly un-productive lately, and would love to live vicariously through you.  Maybe get a little inspired, even!

Thanks for the pats on the back, PJ, jooniperberries, and Cookie78!!

I was going to post on the Odd Jobs thread, but yesterday I actually finished the cashmere blend cardigan that I started knitting for my oldest son several years ago when he was 6, and now almost 7 years later,  my middle son fits into it! And it is still cold enough to wear! and there is even room for him to grow into it next year!!  Phew!

I'm also still doggedly doing my 5 minutes of writing a day.  And decluttering my closets.  And moving forward on some house projects that I already bought the parts for, that I've been talking about for ages, but not seeing motion on.

I have to admit that I am still chasing after a new thing (Mr. Toad-like) since I recently started up an Indivisible group in my area, and it keeps trying to spawn a lot of new tasks, but since I started that before my Lenten resolution it's okay.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
But in general, I have been putting the kabosh on new initiatives.  As a reward, I have been finishing projects, some of them many years old, at a tremendous rate! 

Tell us more!  (if you want)  Personally, I've been fairly un-productive lately, and would love to live vicariously through you.  Maybe get a little inspired, even!

Thanks for the pats on the back, PJ, jooniperberries, and Cookie78!!

I was going to post on the Odd Jobs thread, but yesterday I actually finished the cashmere blend cardigan that I started knitting for my oldest son several years ago when he was 6, and now almost 7 years later,  my middle son fits into it! And it is still cold enough to wear! and there is even room for him to grow into it next year!!  Phew!

I'm also still doggedly doing my 5 minutes of writing a day.  And decluttering my closets.  And moving forward on some house projects that I already bought the parts for, that I've been talking about for ages, but not seeing motion on.

I have to admit that I am still chasing after a new thing (Mr. Toad-like) since I recently started up an Indivisible group in my area, and it keeps trying to spawn a lot of new tasks, but since I started that before my Lenten resolution it's okay. 

LOL about the sweater!  Glad you have someone who can wear it, now that you've finished it!  Is there a younger son as well, that it can get passed down to?  Or a younger daughter that it would also be suitable for eventually?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
Yes, Baby Poundwise can wear it next if my son doesn't lose it! But I sewed a name tape into it, so hopefully it will survive.

I have to get moving though...I have yet to do my odd job of the day.  Somehow the combination of adding plus subtracting challenges is really working for me! I think that is really the trick... if you try to add without subtracting, or subtract without adding, it's harder to stick with a change.  When a task gets difficult, I automatically want to run away and start something else. But now I'm not allowed to start something else, I'm being forced to work on my challenges and actually finish.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
So for Lent, the only activities I may combine with eating & drinking are socializing, thinking (but not daydreaming), meditation, and/or prayer. That should slow time down :)

I am going to add keeping a more intentional Sabbath to my Lent - no screens, no work/housekeeping, no financial matters, and no "catching up" or planning, but I can cook and pick up the day's mess.

Well I did my first Sabbath, no screens and all. It was a really long day but promising. The mindful meals are not going well at all - I don't even remember until I'm half way done. Apparently, unless I'm with friends, I never just eat - I eat while working in my office, or at the kitchen counter while cooking or cleaning up, or while online or watching tv.

I'm glad everyone else seems to be having success, even when it's hard come by!

Somehow the combination of adding plus subtracting challenges is really working for me! I think that is really the trick... if you try to add without subtracting, or subtract without adding, it's harder to stick with a change.  When a task gets difficult, I automatically want to run away and start something else. But now I'm not allowed to start something else, I'm being forced to work on my challenges and actually finish.

Hmmm something more to think about. Thanks Poundwise.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2017, 02:37:54 PM »
I am very happy to report that my giving up starting new projects has rescued me from a tremendous number of obligations, including an offer to set up somebody's website for free (which would have sucked up 40 hours at least).  I actually had to erase the offer twice from my email, before I could steel myself to not make it. It was totally unnecessary. I have to remind myself that just because I can do something well, doesn't mean I have to do it.

I have had a couple of goofs. Somebody asked me to bake bread for Easter, which is not hard for me. But, on my own I offered to bake hot cross buns for 50, which is stupid!  I should probably take that back.

Wow this is a great idea! It seems every other week I'm starting something new. I'd like to give it a whirl and wrap up some outstanding projects this year. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Well that didn't last long! All day I've been planning and designing an exciting new project! But I'm not likely to start it until the weather warms up. Does that count?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
Well that didn't last long! All day I've been planning and designing an exciting new project! But I'm not likely to start it until the weather warms up. Does that count?

Your consciousness about it counts for a lot :)

Sometimes I think consciousness is most of the point of Lent.

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2017, 05:44:24 AM »
I had said I would give up data usage on my phone for Lent (to try and break my habit of walking/scrolling and constantly checking for updates on various sites) and haven't exactly been doing fantastic with that *but* most of the actual data usage has been inbetween my flights when I was researching hotels for an upcoming trip or searching online for phone numbers.  In general, I'm spending a lot less time staring at my phone.

I had also, in a fit of bravado, sworn to my friends I was going to give up Facebook for Lent.  THIS was something I was actually more concerned with and it has actually been going much better than I anticipated.  Although I still let myself use the FB messenger app (many of my colleagues and I discuss shift trades via Messenger but most people have been trying to reach me via phone/text), I haven't visited the actual site since March 1st.  I DO miss it when I'm bored or procrastinating but now, when I start getting twitchy to check FB, I try to think of more productive things to do and actually *DO* them instead of mindlessly scrolling through my newsfeed.

So, I'm not at 100% and I'm going through some mild withdrawal but I'm pleased with my progress so far! :)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »
Not checking my investment account has been hard. One of my colleagues e-mailed me about a couple of beat-up stocks that seem tempting, but I try to remind myself that sometimes becoming a person of disipline costs you money in the short term.

Hopefully I can monetize that discipline better after Easter!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
:))  Good job, talltexan!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »
So far, things are going well. I love the focus Lent brings.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
Debt ceiling deadline is next week. If Congress messes that up, there could be a nice, ahem, buying opportunity.

And me with my silly lenten resolve.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2017, 12:38:34 AM »
Today my Lenten goal (all the work in that vein) resulted in a wild new freedom, duly celebrated with much flinging and laughing!

Very grateful for the container of intention and big growth.

Not specific to Lent, but where do I post this? I'm required to do three (!) tax returns each year. I completed the third tonight. When I saw on paper what I bring in, I was amazed again, and said a little prayer, "Thank you!!!! And, please help me know how best to share it." Because, I believe gifts come, and I believe they do not come because one person is better than another, or kinder, or harder working, or more deserving. Some people get more money than others. That's quite dumb. So, gratitude for that which I receive -so deeply, profoundly grateful, I kid you not- and a request to know how most effectively to share it.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2017, 05:39:07 AM »
I sent my husband an email at work yesterday: "Dieting on a Friday during Lent sucks. I want a salami sandwich and a cookie."

He replied, "Seriously, but that's the point." Touché, Mr. Poodle.

Now it is Saturday and my desire for a salami sandwich is almost non-existent.

Today my Lenten goal (all the work in that vein) resulted in a wild new freedom, duly celebrated with much flinging and laughing!

Very grateful for the container of intention and big growth.

Not specific to Lent, but where do I post this? I'm required to do three (!) tax returns each year. I completed the third tonight. When I saw on paper what I bring in, I was amazed again, and said a little prayer, "Thank you!!!! And, please help me know how best to share it." Because, I believe gifts come, and I believe they do not come because one person is better than another, or kinder, or harder working, or more deserving. Some people get more money than others. That's quite dumb. So, gratitude for that which I receive -so deeply, profoundly grateful, I kid you not- and a request to know how most effectively to share it.

This is so inspiring, jooniperberries. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
I gave up booze for Lent along with my brother (we compete to see who cheats the least). So far no cheating on my part. I am allowing myef to drink at work events and I have 2 next week. Think I may only drink at one. Had one this week I didn't drink at.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
Used the credit card Sunday to buy groceries. The bill was $82.69, and I only had $72 in my checking account, don't get paid again until Wednesday.

Also I get 6% cash back on groceries on that card. I went into it expecting to make the grocery exception, but I literally *ran* to the gas station to buy $12 of gas with the debit card and try to get right with God again.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2017, 11:59:24 AM »
...but I literally *ran* to the gas station to buy $12 of gas with the debit card and try to get right with God again.

:))))   lol!

(You didn't want to just put one thing back?)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »

Your consciousness about it counts for a lot :)

Sometimes I think consciousness is most of the point of Lent.

Oh good thing! Because I did it again! Now I want to build a sailboat! (as a result of reading about the adventures of too many awesome people on this forum)! The excessive exclamations are because I'm sitting here at work silently squeeeeeeeing to myself about new projects.

However, I'm clearly not going to get started on this one just yet. :p I'll just add it to the list for later.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »
You and me, Cookie78!  Last week, I had to physically restrain myself from volunteering for the elementary school Science Fair. Because I started and ran a science fair for three years at our old school, so of course this would be easy, hardly take any time at all! NOT.

Also, every time I see your user name, I want to eat a cookie! ;)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »
You and me, Cookie78!  Last week, I had to physically restrain myself from volunteering for the elementary school Science Fair. Because I started and ran a science fair for three years at our old school, so of course this would be easy, hardly take any time at all! NOT.

Same same. This intention is similar to mine (not overfunctioning). When people see me do stuff, they seem to think, "She is capable, energetic, eager, already here doing stuff! So let's give her THIS job too!" My lenten intention has inspired me to get all the way to, "No. I'm already doing as much as I can." It's cool!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2017, 11:01:26 PM »
Seeing everyone else's reports, I realize I should check in too...

I am doing great with not getting angry/frustrated when driving.  Though I must admit to having had a couple of one-sided, yet very civil conversations with other drivers on the road:

"Why, how interesting.  I'm certainly happy to let you go in front of me in this lane, though I do wish you would use your turn signal next time.  But I understand, sometimes we do get distracted or realize at the last minute that we're in the wrong lane.  Have a nice day!"

And so on ;-)

And an interesting phenomenon - I think it is making me react more calmly to other situations as well.

I am not doing that great about going to bed earlier, and the time change over the weekend isn't really helping.  But have been trying to adjust my schedule where I can, to try to make sure I'm getting a bit more rest anyway.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2017, 05:23:42 AM »
PJ, I've put a block on my Firefox browser that kicks in at 9pm. It's been doing a great job helping me to go to bed early!

Sometimes when I'm driving, I tell myself that a percentage of the drivers didn't sleep enough last night, another percentage had a terrible day at work or at home, and some of them need to go the bathroom REALLY badly!!  That helps me be more patient.

Good luck and good work on your Lenten resolution!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2017, 06:19:29 AM »
So far, pretty good. Bits of cheese in a salad or two I couldn't avoid but no quesadillas or cheeseburgers and forgot and ate a little chicken on Friday before I remembered.

Taking life a lot more slowly and just finishing up some projects or sitting around with the kids. I'll wait to plant a garden until after lent and even then I'll just have a few crops for the summer garden. Could have made beer yesterday, since I had to rack my latest carboy (I typically brew on the day I rack over in order to yeast ranch) but it was an older yeast that was in the freezer a while and I may have ruined since the last beer was so strong. Perhaps it is time to consider a lager.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2017, 07:57:39 AM »
Had my second fasting day yesterday. It really wasn't bad. I started to get hungry at 3pm and had dinner at 7:30, so only 4 hours of "suffering." In some ways it is helpful to feel real hunger. We don't experience that much in our abundant society.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
Delicious to hear people's updates! Thank you all :)

Mine is going very well. I think the accountability report to friend is a real help. Keeps me focused. In any given moment, when I have the choice of overfunctioning or not overfunctioning, I can "see" my evening report and easily choose the latter. It also helps me preempt the emotional afterburn of setting a boundary, functioning differently, being less "nice", as the reporting anchors the intention and purpose. If I weren't reporting, I think I would have gone off track and/or become consumed by the guilt, etc, of new boundaries and behaviours.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »
Delicious to hear people's updates! Thank you all :)

Mine is going very well. I think the accountability report to friend is a real help. Keeps me focused. In any given moment, when I have the choice of overfunctioning or not overfunctioning, I can "see" my evening report and easily choose the latter. It also helps me preempt the emotional afterburn of setting a boundary, functioning differently, being less "nice", as the reporting anchors the intention and purpose. If I weren't reporting, I think I would have gone off track and/or become consumed by the guilt, etc, of new boundaries and behaviours.

For me, that's the whole beauty of these forums.

I may spend proportionally more time in the Journals section, but the Gauntlets are my favourite.  They are what are helping me to reach my goals.  In psychology/research field (and in management, too!) what you measure affects what you do.  Or, to think of it another way, you can't manage what you don't measure. 

Simply by setting the intention, and paying attention enough to be able to report, we are affecting our behaviour.  This can be bad, in a research study (placebo effect, etc) but for habit formation, charting, reporting, and accountability are pure gold.

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
I am doing great with not getting angry/frustrated when driving.  Though I must admit to having had a couple of one-sided, yet very civil conversations with other drivers on the road:

"Why, how interesting.  I'm certainly happy to let you go in front of me in this lane, though I do wish you would use your turn signal next time.  But I understand, sometimes we do get distracted or realize at the last minute that we're in the wrong lane.  Have a nice day!"

I love this strategy!  I'm going to have to try that. 

I have a ton going on right now, so I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed, but generally my Lent is going well so far.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »

I love this strategy!  I'm going to have to try that. 

I have a ton going on right now, so I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed, but generally my Lent is going well so far.

It may sound sarcastic, in writing, or if anyone else was in the car with me.  But I think that expressing genuine goodwill toward them at the end is the key.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
I gave up being Catholic for Lent about 20 years ago.  Non-denominational Christian now so the whole Lent thing is a fond memory. 

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
I gave up being Catholic for Lent about 20 years ago.  Non-denominational Christian now so the whole Lent thing is a fond memory.

Welcome? No specific religion needed in this challenge (atheist here), just a willingness to forgo a pleasure or take up a new task.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
No specific religion needed in this challenge (atheist here)...

+1 :)

I participated in a lent circle recently, all of us from different backgrounds and Nows, all of us with different ideas and approaches. Some giving something up, some adding an element (compassion, patience, etc), some pondering/meditating. It's whatever you make it.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2017, 06:25:50 AM »
getting paid today, so there's a new slug of cash behind that debit card. Spend, spend, spend!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2017, 10:36:58 AM »
getting paid today, so there's a new slug of cash behind that debit card. Spend, spend, spend!

Such an unusual thing to read, on the MMM forums!  ;-)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »

And so on ;-)

LOL, one of my new phrases for bad drivers of late has been, "well, that is an interesting life choice...but ok."

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »
PJ, my earnest hope is that forcing myself to use the debit card instead of the credit card will make me more mindful of my spending (thus reducing it). I spent a good chunk of time with my balanc in the two digits.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
I slipped! But it's ok now.

Last night I saw a post about a momma dog that needs a whelping home  for 4-5 weeks with her 6 3-week old pups. I emailed to say I could do it, because I have an empty bedroom at the moment, and I haven't fostered in nearly 3 months, and HOW HARD COULD IT BE?! After sending the email I immediately came to the forum, saw this thread, and thought 'Oh crap! I forgot to not commit to more things!!'. But this morning I got an email and they'd already found someone to foster them, so I'm off the hook. Whew, close call. Need to be more mindful!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
Phew!  I was asking myself if keeping ourselves from volunteering/starting new projects is a good thing. But, actually it is, not only because it forces us to finish projects (reducing wastes of time and money locked up in UFOs) but also it forces us to do a better job on the commitments we already have, keeps us sweeter tempered, and gives other people the opportunity to give, learn, feel needed, and grow.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2017, 10:32:02 PM »
...forces us to do a better job on the commitments we already have, keeps us sweeter tempered, and gives other people the opportunity to give, learn, feel needed, and grow.

Hell YEAH!!!!

Today I was very mindful to not "be given" another volunteer gig. Group consensus was that "we can..." I said, "So, just to be clear, this means that everyone would need to actively do this, not show up and expect that Tammy or I have done so." I was very proud of myself for ensuring this piece, as so far the "we" doing everything in that project is mostly me, and specific aspects fall on Tammy. No one else has taken anything on. As new tasks appear, it is easier to delegate those immediately vs let them be absorbed by the people already doing it all. I also handed several older pieces off. Was awesome.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2017, 11:58:54 PM »
PJ, my earnest hope is that forcing myself to use the debit card instead of the credit card will make me more mindful of my spending (thus reducing it). I spent a good chunk of time with my balanc in the two digits. 

Absolutely understood!  My first real experience of success in managing my money, several years ago, came when I allocated bi-weekly spending amounts by category into envelopes that I carried around with me.  I needed to *see* the money, and touch it, to really understand how much I had to spend.  And the act of taking money out of one envelope to transfer it into another envelope really helped solidify the choices I was making.  The "Spend, spend, spend!" just struck me as funny, on the MMM forums, if taken out of the context of debit vs credit card.

...forces us to do a better job on the commitments we already have, keeps us sweeter tempered, and gives other people the opportunity to give, learn, feel needed, and grow. 

Hell YEAH!!!!

Today I was very mindful to not "be given" another volunteer gig. Group consensus was that "we can..." I said, "So, just to be clear, this means that everyone would need to actively do this, not show up and expect that Tammy or I have done so." I was very proud of myself for ensuring this piece, as so far the "we" doing everything in that project is mostly me, and specific aspects fall on Tammy. No one else has taken anything on. As new tasks appear, it is easier to delegate those immediately vs let them be absorbed by the people already doing it all. I also handed several older pieces off. Was awesome. 

Oh, I know this dynamic so well!  Around the church, one of the most common things I hear is "You know what we should do?"  And I have taken to finishing the thought by saying, "We should finish what we've already started?"  Funny, that's never what they were going to say! 

Another tactic I use with the "What we should do" approach is to ask how they are planning to approach that project/task/idea.  They look surprised.  And I point out that God has put on my heart certain things to focus on, and that He has obviously put this other thing on their heart, so I presume that He wants them to grow into doing it.  Then, if they are at all willing, I help them brainstorm how they can gather other people to form a team, help them figure out what resources they can access from the church or elsewhere, and promise to be there alongside them to offer support along the way.  But always emphasizing that the "we" in "what we should do" is actually them, not me, because I have my own list of things that I am responsible for, already. 

Pertinent to this discussion - do all of you know this old saying?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:50 AM »
...always emphasizing that the "we" in "what we should do" is actually them, not me...

Yep! That's it. I've gotten very good at this piece, handing everything back to the ones who try to give me new volunteer jobs. It's great. I, too, let them know to whom their proposal would need to be submitted, offer to help them with that (draft the proposal, not doing the end jobs). It's really interesting to watch the awareness spread over their faces, that if they have the idea, they "get to" do it. In other words, your idea of what I could do is not actually a gift to me, lol. It's probably an awesome idea, and I'll totally cheer on your doing it! But, my plate is full from my own ideas, thanks.

:)     I've been quoted as quoting this one.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2017, 12:17:11 AM »
...always emphasizing that the "we" in "what we should do" is actually them, not me...

Yep! That's it. I've gotten very good at this piece, handing everything back to the ones who try to give me new volunteer jobs. It's great. I, too, let them know to whom their proposal would need to be submitted, offer to help them with that (draft the proposal, not doing the end jobs). It's really interesting to watch the awareness spread over their faces, that if they have the idea, they "get to" do it. In other words, your idea of what I could do is not actually a gift to me, lol. It's probably an awesome idea, and I'll totally cheer on your doing it! But, my plate is full from my own ideas, thanks.

:)     I've been quoted as quoting this one.

Not that I can really say that in my context (as I assume you can't either!) but hello!  So true!  So true, that I had to bold it and enlarge it to show how true it is!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2017, 12:22:41 AM »
Not that I can really say that in my context (as I assume you can't either!) but hello!  So true!  So true, that I had to bold it and enlarge it to show how true it is!

:))))   I'm allowed to say anything, but I hope I'm saying it in a kinder way than this, lol.

I only identified this a couple of months ago, when someone urged "we" (meaning me) to do this, that, the other, in order to generate more this and bring in more that. Uh, okay, Person... We're all working our butts off, without pay, as gifts of love and enthusiasm and skill and so on, with incredible results... You can do that too if you want, but yeah, it would need to be YOU doing your ideas, not you talking and us doing all the work, lol.

I dunno, his impression that we were great little worker bees but short on ideas... Something yucky in that.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2017, 01:07:24 AM »
Now they're in my head, so... My other favourite responses to, "Do you know what you should do?" are:

Yes.

This one is very funny for how it stops them in their tracks.
One said, "You do??"
Yes.
Yes, I totally know what I should do, because I am me, and am aware of my life, my responsibilities, my commitments, my needs, my dreams...

Yes...I should go home and have a nap.

haha. Then they seem to realize I've just completed what is, in fact, a shit ton of work, lol. This quiets their thought.

Yes, I should go home and have a nap. What should you do?

Then they have an opportunity to think about their life, responsibilities, commitments, needs, dreams instead of those they imagine mine to be.

All of these are cheeky, yes, but (and) make me happy! And also keep the relationship healthy instead of resentful, imbalanced, etc.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:19:40 AM by jooniperberries »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2017, 04:37:26 AM »
No specific religion needed in this challenge (atheist here)...

+1 :)

+2.  Grew up Catholic, kept the bits that work for me.  I love Lent. 

Things are going well.  Gave up alcohol and doing the Whole30 for Lent.  It feels so good to break out of those destructive habits we slip into, and to strip things down to a more basic level.   

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2017, 09:59:16 AM »
Making some delicious curried chickpeas for lunch on this meat-free Friday. I was getting sick of fish fry, and now my house smells amazing.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »
Yes...I should go home and have a nap

Thanks - now that you have armed me with the perfect response, I really hope someone asks me if I know what I should do.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2017, 02:56:37 AM »

Thanks - now that you have armed me with the perfect response, I really hope someone asks me if I know what I should do.

;)

You know what you should do, stoaX??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
I gave up booze for Lent along with my brother...
Whoa, you gave up your brother for Lent.. Hmm, why didn't I think of that? I have a spare, I could totally do this. Lol!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2017, 06:08:05 PM »

;)

You know what you should do, stoaX??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, I should go home and take a nap!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »
Yes, I should go home and take a nap!

YOU WIN ALL THE LENTS!!!!!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2017, 11:22:29 PM »