Author Topic: Lent 2017!  (Read 34589 times)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Lent 2017!
« on: February 04, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
Anyone else starting to plan out their Lenten sacrifice?

Last year I gave up coffee, and it was a wicked bitch to make it through 40 days. I caved on Sundays. This year, I'm planning on kicking it old skool, pre VatII, and giving up meat. I usually eat paleo, and I'm explosively allergic to the casein molecule. Giving up meat and eggs will effectively make me vegan. It's going to be a tough transition. I'll shortly be going to the grocery store to purchase lentils. Lentils!

SO what's your game plan? Does it take pre-planning, or are you just going to throw down on 1-March? Anyone else endured an Ash Wed mass still hungover, and jittering from a small speedball of caffeine?

And, what's with St Patrick's day being right in the middle of Lent, every goddamn year? It seems like a strange contradiction. Leave it to the Irish to build contradiction into the very base of the system.

I've given you much material. Discuss.

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Lent 2017!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
I gave up complaining for Lent, once.  It went OK.

This time I'm thinking of giving up procrastination.  I'll let you know if I succeeded in a couple of months.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
Sailor Sam, what a marvellously funny post! 

Interesting point for Canadians - last year, I was told by someone who has reason to know, that the whole reason behind Tim Horton's "Roll up the Rim to Win" contest was originally to counteract their drop in sales during Lent.  Nefarious, isn't it?  I've considered giving up coffee for Lent, but have never tried.  Not because of "Roll up the Rim," I'm just scared about how I would cope, given what a busy time of year it is for me.  But allow me to reframe things for you - you didn't cave on Sundays.  You celebrated the Feast of the Resurrection - which is what every Sunday is - a celebration of what happened on the first Easter, and so Sundays are officially exempt from the fast.  Now, some may still find it easier to abstain completely, rather than having to moderate, but that's up to them.

I once gave up worrying for Lent.  Easier said than done.  Like former player said, "It went OK."  My strategy was to catch myself starting to worry, and immediately turn the worry into prayer.  I had a rough year last year, and am finding it very easy to get into a negative mindset.  Have been thinking about giving up complaining for Lent this year.  I assume the same kind of strategy would work - turn the complaint into gratitude as soon as you hear yourself starting.

Giving up procrastinating is a good idea too.  Eh, but maybe next year...

And in answer to your question ... while in seminary, we went to do some post-Katrina re-build work in New Orleans, just as Lent was starting.  I don't think you really understand the contrast between Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday, until you've experienced it in that city!  Yes, even us (Anglican) seminarians were drinking - in moderation, of course! - at the Mardi Gras parades.  And I believe that actually enhanced the solemnity of the Ash Wednesday services.  It was a wonderful experience, and I hope to go back there some day, to do it again.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »
I don't understand. Beer is vegan. Where's the problem?

Ah Snacky. Somehow you have missed the....center of the whole issue. Essentially, you are a donut.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »
those are vegan,right?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
Hi PJ! I've seen you on a couple journals. I think we should be internet friends.

Someone, I think okits, suggested I give up sarcasm for Lent 2016. I just laughed. Might as well lobotomize me. The snark is just so deeply ingrained.

So you went to seminary, eh? I don't know much about being Anglican. Did you end up being ordained, or was it just for a degree program?

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
Hi PJ! I've seen you on a couple journals. I think we should be internet friends.

Someone, I think okits, suggested I give up sarcasm for Lent 2016. I just laughed. Might as well lobotomize me. The snark is just so deeply ingrained.

So you went to seminary, eh? I don't know much about being Anglican. Did you end up being ordained, or was it just for a degree program?

Hi Sailor Sam!  Sure, we can be internet friends!  Though, some people around here might warn you that I have the tendency to drop in and out of sight with no warning.  It's nothing personal, just oftentimes challenging task of balancing my internet life with my "real" life.

(Not that I'm saying you are all figments of my imagination ... or are you?  That would explain a lot!)

And yup, I did get ordained.  Just celebrated 5 years since I was priested, though a little longer since I was ordained as a transitional deacon.  (Just the way we do things - we all start as deacons first, so we all remember that first and foremost we are servants!)  Are you RC?  The VatII comment, and calling the Ash Wednesday service "mass" kind of gives it away, though "mass" could be high Anglican too.  Our churches are very similar, except for a few key differences where we're pretty far apart!  But Catholics who attend a service at my church often tell me that they can hardly tell the difference in our worship.  It's more in our thinking about things (Eucharistic theology, ordination of women, etc) where we veer apart.

Anyway, I'm typing this response while sitting in my office at the church, in between doing other little bits of work, and waiting for the crowd to clear out following a funeral reception.  Things are wrapping up, and I'm going to head home in a few minutes, with a brief hospital pit stop to check on someone who fell ill during the reception.  But hey, nice to formally "meet" you!  (And snacky seems like a fun internet friend to have too...)

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
Last year I gave up sugar and other sweeteners for Lent. This year I'm thinking of giving up multi-tasking while eating - I have a bad habit of eating lunch at my desk and snacking while I'm reading or on the computer.

Blueskies123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »
I gave up giving up.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »
Saw this on another site in passing, and thought of this thread...

For anyone maybe considering give up an intangible, like worry, complaining, etc

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 07:42:16 AM »
Last year I was too sick to give up anything. It was the first time in nearly 15 years I didn't participate. This year I should try to give up telling my husband he is doing things wrong. If he wants to fold the laundry I should let him ball up the underwear and put it in the wrong drawer because I need all the help I can get with full time work and rest of the time school.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »
Interesting throwdown. I have recently started to rediscover my spiritual side, so I'm going to go in on this one. I plan to fast every Monday during Lent, beginning after dinner on Sunday (no dessert) to dinner on Monday evening. Water, tea and coffee are allowed.

And for those lentils, this is my go-to lentil recipe. Cheap, easy and delicious. https://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/01/curried-lentils/

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
I gave up complaining for Lent, once.  It went OK.

This time I'm thinking of giving up procrastination.  I'll let you know if I succeeded in a couple of months.

If I didn't procrastinate, I wouldn't get anything done. Not giving up anything for Lent, because I'm a heathen and don't believe.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
As I have said on this forum before, despite being 0% religious I love lent with all my heart. No plans yet. Mine will likely be more a focus on "living simply" (even more than I already do). Maybe I will give up volunteering for lent, heh heh, as that's what seems to steal most of my time and focus!

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
I'm giving up Lent for Lent.  I'll let you know how it goes in a couple months.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »
Hi Sailor Sam!  Sure, we can be internet friends!

Excellent. I have a journal, you could check it out if you want. It moves fast, and there are some nice people there.

Yes, I was raised Roman Catholic. Polish, but also some Irish. My family is large, and we eat very good food.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 05:21:45 AM »
I successfully gave up coffee for Lent three years ago. One slip-up and it was on a Sunday. I allowed myself as much black tea as I needed to get through the first week, but after I made it through the first two or three days it wasn't too bad.

Can't remember what I gave up last year, but I feel like it went well enough. I'm considering giving up both coffee and alcohol this year.

And yup, I did get ordained.  Just celebrated 5 years since I was priested, though a little longer since I was ordained as a transitional deacon.  (Just the way we do things - we all start as deacons first, so we all remember that first and foremost we are servants!)  Are you RC?  The VatII comment, and calling the Ash Wednesday service "mass" kind of gives it away, though "mass" could be high Anglican too.  Our churches are very similar, except for a few key differences where we're pretty far apart!  But Catholics who attend a service at my church often tell me that they can hardly tell the difference in our worship.  It's more in our thinking about things (Eucharistic theology, ordination of women, etc) where we veer apart.

Hi PJ! This is interesting and good to hear - I love the Catholic Mass but there are certain doctrinal issues that I have a hard time with. Our son was baptized Catholic since we like our church here (it's truly one of the most welcoming, inclusive churches I've ever been to) but we are moving this summer and we've discussed that we'll consider both Anglican/Episcopal churches in addition to Catholic, especially if it ends up that the only Catholic church in town is super conservative. 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 05:40:51 AM »
I am no longer religious, but like people who hang on to Christmas and Easter, I hang on to Lent. It was easily my favorite season of the church calendar.

This year I've scheduled my Whole 30/AIP to start on Ash Wednesday. I'll need the extra Lent boost to get through it, and hopefully by the end I'll have found a trigger or two for my mystery joint pain.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »
...I hang on to Lent. It was easily my favorite season of the church calendar.

You are my first ever other person to say this!!!!!!!

I couldn't care less about any other event, holiday, observance, celebration, etc. This one is the cat's pajamas for me.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
I successfully gave up coffee for Lent three years ago. One slip-up and it was on a Sunday. I allowed myself as much black tea as I needed to get through the first week, but after I made it through the first two or three days it wasn't too bad.

Can't remember what I gave up last year, but I feel like it went well enough. I'm considering giving up both coffee and alcohol this year.

Hi PJ! This is interesting and good to hear - I love the Catholic Mass but there are certain doctrinal issues that I have a hard time with. Our son was baptized Catholic since we like our church here (it's truly one of the most welcoming, inclusive churches I've ever been to) but we are moving this summer and we've discussed that we'll consider both Anglican/Episcopal churches in addition to Catholic, especially if it ends up that the only Catholic church in town is super conservative.

Don't forget, Sundays are considered (by most people) to be exempt from your fast.  They're always a "feast day!"  And you've made me think about the fact that I could possibly give up coffee, which I'm definitely addicted to, if I allowed myself tea - which has a looser bond.  Something to think about ...

And absolutely, if the Catholic church where you move isn't what you'd want it to be, do check out the Episcopal churches in the area.  There's pretty wide variation of low/high church in Anglican/Episcopal circles, but you may find it to be just what you're looking for.  I agree with what I think you're saying, which is that the sense of community (which can include the hospitality, support to grow in your faith, quality of teaching, opportunities to serve, etc) can be even more important than the denomination.  Word of warning, some Anglican/Episcopal churches can also be less than inclusive, so if you find yourself in a super conservative one, don't judge them all by the same cover!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »
I shall join you. I will give up alcohol with a day pass allotted for my birthday dinner which falls somewhere in the middle.

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
...I hang on to Lent. It was easily my favorite season of the church calendar.

You are my first ever other person to say this!!!!!!!

I couldn't care less about any other event, holiday, observance, celebration, etc. This one is the cat's pajamas for me.

I am also a lapsed Catholic who holds onto Lent. It was the cool thing to do when I was in high school as 75% of the town was Catholic, and ever since it's just something that I haven't even thought twice about

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
I'm an Orthodox Christian, and we are very old-school, so the general practice is to eat vegan. I'm normally an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and eating vegan isn't really very challenging for me. In fact, my community is suddenly being super supportive of my eating habits actually makes it really easy. For me the challenge is not over-eating on the amazing Lenten pitch-in dinners.  So I kind of double up, and also observe the western practice.  I will be avoiding desserts and added sugars, except on Sundays.  We count things a little differently. We don't consider Holy Week as part of Lent, but rather it's own time, and we do fast on Sundays.  We don't have Ash Wednesday. We begin Lent with Forgiveness Sunday, and so for us Lent starts the evening of February 26.  Easter is on the same day for West and East this year.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
Not sure what faith label I use.  We do celebrate the Christian holidays and are members of a very progressive congregation but only attend church services sporatically.  A couple of years ago one of the ministered preached a sermon about adding something instead of removing something for Lent.  Our family decided to follow Lent that year.  I added having a moment of gratitude at dinner each night.  My husband tried to see the glass half full more often.  My son tried to practice his music before I asked and my daughter decided to try more new foods. 

It just seemed like a way into a more spiritual life so we haven't given anything up for Lent in the years since.  And since I am celiac and trying to spend less money and lose some weight - I just don't want to subtract another thing from my life. 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
I liked this WaPo article about Lady Gaga. I've noticed the christian elements in her songs before. Born This Way, of course. Also a mention in Yoü And I. Judas is a straight up comparison to a bad manfriend.

I think she's pretty classy, and smarter than pop culture gives her credit for. Plus, you know, the things she does with her legs when she's dancing. I like that part, too.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »
That ^ article IS awesome! Maybe I should check out her dancing...

I also loved this one for me, deeply tickled to find someone whose experience aligns with mine: http://www.ucobserver.org/columns/2017/02/conundrums/

[Participants in post-theistic communities] act for good in the world because our sense of humanity requires it, not because any deity or doctrine prescribes it. But one of the things that distinguishes these congregations from service clubs is how that sense of responsibility is nurtured.

Progressive spiritual communities gather regularly to seek wisdom from a variety of sources. These sources include the witness of nature; the inspiration of art, film, science and literature; the writings and teaching of varied enduring spiritual traditions, including the ancient texts of the Judeo-Christian tradition; and the text of one’s own lived experience. Congregations like ours gather to seek and share wisdom that will inspire and inform our living. We sing and pray together not to praise or petition some external, supernatural being to intervene and bring the peace, justice and freedom we seek for our world. Rather, we sing and pray to strengthen our intentions to live in ways that are congruent with our highest values (love, respect, fairness, peace, justice, compassion) and to call ourselves to do what is required to answer the prayers we share.

FrugalLakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »
I will be challenging myself this year to not purchase any food item that is contained in plastic at the point of sale.  I did this once about 8 years ago and it was very challenging and very rewarding.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »
I liked this WaPo article about Lady Gaga. I've noticed the christian elements in her songs before. Born This Way, of course. Also a mention in Yoü And I. Judas is a straight up comparison to a bad manfriend.

I think she's pretty classy, and smarter than pop culture gives her credit for. Plus, you know, the things she does with her legs when she's dancing. I like that part, too.

I haven't read the article yet (going to do that when I catch up on all the forum threads I'm behind on), but I have always thought that Lady Gaga is brilliant. I'm kind of neutral about her in general, I like her music but I wouldn't call myself a fan necessarily. But geez...she's an extremely intelligent businesswoman. I admire what she has done in her career a lot.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
I will be challenging myself this year to not purchase any food item that is contained in plastic at the point of sale.  I did this once about 8 years ago and it was very challenging and very rewarding.

FrugalLakes, sorry, I didn't look back to see if you are one of the non-religious people who just enjoys taking on a Lenten discipline.  But I just wanted to say that I think yours is an awesome goal!  It would be an awesome goal even if you weren't doing it for Lent, but I especially like it as a deepening of awareness of God's goodness in creation.

A couple of years ago, the Anglican Church actually changed the promises that we make in baptism, to add a new promise:

Will you strive to safeguard the integrity of God’s creation, and respect, sustain and renew the life of the Earth?

Here's an article that reflects on that, with a prayer for how we care for creation, that I find quite lovely:  http://thecommunity.anglican.ca/everyday/11493/praying-our-baptismal-vows-part-6/

If the goal of a Lenten devotion - whether giving something up, or taking on something new - is to draw closer to God, to get rid of the things in our life that might get in the way of our relationship with God (like, if we are too dependent on alcohol or caffeine, or worry too much because we are putting trust in ourselves to solve problems rather than giving them to God) then I could totally see how being careful about what you consume would help with that.

And on a practical level, please let us know how that goes.  I'd love to reduce my waste!  For inspiration, have you ever seen this website:

http://www.zerowastehome.com/

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
Raised catholic, lost belief in high school, didn't think about it in college, became a bit of a militant atheist after college, and have settled in as a chill atheist who only chimes in when belief is assumed or somebody is being rude due to a religious belief. Throughout all that, I've always kept up with Lent though; probably has to do with the fact that my wife (who I've been dating since high school) still considers herself catholic so if she's abstaining I am as well. In years past we have given up various food items: meat, alcohol, coffee, etc. I'm not sure what we will do this year. Fridays are always a challenge since it's difficult to eat a pound of tuna (I eat 8 oz of cooked meat for each lunch and dinner). Maybe I can pick up a habit instead of giving something up this year. I'll post again once I decide.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »
Throughout all that, I've always kept up with Lent though...

I find it fascinating (and somehow strange and beautiful!) how this has been so for so many of us :)

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »
I am not catholic but had a group of friends several years ago who gave up meat for lent and asked me to join them.  I obliged and at the end of it was so grossed out by the idea of eating muscles that I couldn't bring myself to eat meat again.  That was 13 years ago, still haven't had meat to this day haha. They all went back to eating meat without a problem.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
I'm a "cultural Catholic", in that I don't believe in a higher power but I still celebrate Lent and move about in a perpetual cloud of guilt. I'll be giving up alcohol, as I do every year -- though I'll admit, as the kids get older and older it becomes more and more difficult.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »
I'm a "cultural Catholic", in that I don't believe in a higher power but I still celebrate Lent and move about in a perpetual cloud of guilt.

Are we twins?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
I'm a "cultural Catholic", in that I don't believe in a higher power but I still celebrate Lent and move about in a perpetual cloud of guilt.

Are we twins?

I blame my education. As my mother once said, Jesuit schools only produce two things: atheists and more Jesuits.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »

::laughing hard::     (Same background, though thoroughly lapsed, including from the guilt part.)

I'll be giving up alcohol, as I do every year -- though I'll admit, as the kids get older and older it becomes more and more difficult.

LOL again!

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »
Anyone else starting to plan out their Lenten sacrifice?

Thanks for this Sailor Sam! I'm definitely a pre-planner (not so good on the follow through though).

Observing Lent is not a big part of my church's tradition but I've been doing it for most of my adult life. There is something about adding some deliberate ritual and solemnity to the year - it slows time down a bit. Advent is harder as secular Christmas festivities have such pull.

This year I'm thinking of giving up multi-tasking while eating - I have a bad habit of eating lunch at my desk and snacking while I'm reading or on the computer.

Great idea, SmartyCat! I need to cut back on screen-time (internet & tv) but moderation is hard and cold-turkey, for the internet at least, is not going to happen. If, instead, I give up my main trigger for getting on the internet or watching tv, there'll be that many fewer opportunities for me to get sucked in, and voila, moderation! Yay!

So for Lent, the only activities I may combine with eating & drinking are socializing, thinking (but not daydreaming), meditation, and/or prayer. That should slow time down :)

dreamer8887

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 01:23:08 PM »
DH and I were just discussing what to give up. I like the idea of trying to consciously and actively replace worry with prayer (meditation if you're a non-theistic type). We talked about giving up meat. We love meat. That sounds hard. I realise that's probably the point. I will report back on what we decide.

edited to add: I just logged off MMM to go waste time on lifestyle porn blogs (I'm a bit addicted to a few + some DIY blogs thrown in for good measure). They tend to make me focus on stuff/lifestyle envy I want rather than gratitude for what I have. So (possibly in addition to meat) I plan to give up websites that make me feel unnecessarily dissatisfied/bad about my life.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:25:22 PM by dreamer8887 »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
Hopefully this isn't TMI but we are all anonymous internet avatars, right? The wife and I are going to practice karezza during Lent.  For those of you with a broken Google, that is intimacy without the climactic happy ending boom boom fireworks champagne corks popping.  For the uninitiated this may sound frustrating but it really is not, it is very affectionate in a quiet and gentle way.  And no it is not limited to straight couples like us, gay folks can do it too.  Guys, after you get past about the first week, you feel like a super-hero. 

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 02:33:44 PM »
move about in a perpetual cloud of guilt.
My coworkers describe me as the guiltless honest person they know. It's true, I am always feeling guilt about something.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 03:03:05 PM »
The wife and I are going to practice karezza during Lent.

Best lenten thingy ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »
Interesting throwdown. I have recently started to rediscover my spiritual side, so I'm going to go in on this one. I plan to fast every Monday during Lent, beginning after dinner on Sunday (no dessert) to dinner on Monday evening. Water, tea and coffee are allowed.

Um, yeah, about that. I foolishly overlooked the Lenten Monday my sisters and their families will be visiting my tropical abode. I'm not going to shuttle them around and not eat all day, so I am fasting today to "pay back" for that day.

I'm hungry.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »

Um, yeah, about that. I foolishly overlooked the Lenten Monday my sisters and their families will be visiting my tropical abode. I'm not going to shuttle them around and not eat all day, so I am fasting today to "pay back" for that day.

I'm hungry.

Hang tough!  I don't know what time it is there, but you must surely be most of the way there?  Maybe have a couple more glasses of water to fill your stomach up a bit?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »

I'm hungry.

Hang tough!  I don't know what time it is there, but you must surely be most of the way there?  Maybe have a couple more glasses of water to fill your stomach up a bit?

Thanks, PJ! I'll be fine, just whining a bit. Dinner is about 5 hours away b/c DH works late tonight.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 01:38:35 PM »
I'm hungry.

I'm confused. It's not Lent yet. Are you practicing?

Yesterday, my dad and I happened to catch a baptismal Mass. The kid was cute, but the water made her scream like the devils of hell were after her. She was fucking PISSED. The mom was embarrassed, the dad was obviously thrilled. It was hilarious.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »

S/he's preemptively making up for a day that's not an option during :)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »
Thanks for the starting the topic. 

After a little thought I think will give up muttering negative things under my breath.  It doesn't do me or anyone any good and a more positive attitude would be a good thing.   I don't want to become a complainypants that needs a face punchin'.   

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »
Hopefully this isn't TMI but we are all anonymous internet avatars, right? The wife and I are going to practice karezza during Lent.  For those of you with a broken Google, that is intimacy without the climactic happy ending boom boom fireworks champagne corks popping.

I may have inadvertently been practicing karezza with some of my past boyfriends... ;)

I don't follow any particular religion (raised a Southern Baptist, have *many* preachers in the family but struggled with a lot of what I was told growing up) but I like observing Lent because of the sacrifice it entails.  Willingly making myself less comfortable (by giving up alcohol, sugar, caffeine, social media etc) encourages me to be grateful for my AMAZING life because I have the *luxury* to choose to give up these things while others don't have them to begin with.    I'm not sure if I expressed that well and I'm struggling with jetlag right now but did I kinda make sense there?

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »

I don't follow any particular religion (raised a Southern Baptist, have *many* preachers in the family but struggled with a lot of what I was told growing up) but I like observing Lent because of the sacrifice it entails.  Willingly making myself less comfortable (by giving up alcohol, sugar, caffeine, social media etc) encourages me to be grateful for my AMAZING life because I have the *luxury* to choose to give up these things while others don't have them to begin with.    I'm not sure if I expressed that well and I'm struggling with jetlag right now but did I kinda make sense there?

Excellent perspective and well-expressed.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »

S/he's preemptively making up for a day that's not an option during :)

Yep. I'm pre-sacrificing!