Author Topic: Learning or Improving at Another Language in 2016  (Read 61521 times)

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Learning or Improving at Another Language in 2016
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2016, 10:24:23 AM »
I am on Duolingo too (Spanish).  Please add me:  Frugalicious16.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:41:10 AM by Frugalicious »

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »
I wish I could find a good source for Taiwanese, would make conversations with my in-laws much easier.  Spanish may be interesting, but not sure how much I would use it, don't really get out much.  I am planning a trip to Europe where we'll be going to Germany and France, might decide to brush up on my German, my wife majored in French, though can't speak too much of it currently.

Already fluent in Mandarin :-P  If anyone wants some tips for that I'd be glad to give a few pointers, especially with reading/writing.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »
I added a few people on Duolingo. I have the same username, Megma if anyone wants to add me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:44:51 AM by Megma »

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
I'm on a 9 day Duolingo streak with Spanish though I'm sure that's about to come to end with my return to work this week.   

I'm not normally very virtually participatory but I'll look into their privacy policy on friending and maybe join you all. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
I'm not normally very virtually participatory but I'll look into their privacy policy on friending and maybe join you all.

I just found you could change your username, so pick something anonymous and you should be good.

It doesn't look like there's any info shared on a person besides:
Their username
The language(s) they're studying
What level they're on/how many points they've earned overall and that week
How many days of a streak they're on

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 05:46:43 AM »
Wife and I are going on a trip to Italy with a group of friends in October.
I want to learn Italian, at a basic level at least.
Is Duolingo recommended?

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 08:55:46 AM »
Another Spanish w\ DuoLingo here, aiming for 3 lessons per day.

I might also take a "Spanish for Healthcare Workers" continuing ed class if the community college offers it again and it works with my schedule.

I went and checked on Mango-they have a "Medical Spanish" section, but it's only 2 chapters.  The first is Diabetes and the second is medicine and dosage.  So the course is probably better.  About 3/4 down the "tree" on Duolingo there's a Medical lesson, but I haven't gotten there yet so I can't say how good or bad it is.

serious_pete

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2016, 01:21:24 AM »
I started duolingo for French this time last year and completed it all inlast night. This was averaging about five lessons per day for about five days a week, so about two hrs a week. I'm currently rated 50% fluent, which I very much doubt. I'd like to get this up to maybe 70% by "strengthening" what I've completed. On top of this I'll get some children's French books, browse the French national judo website and practice speaking with my wife who is pretty fluent after living in Nice for a year. And hopefully go camping in France a couple times for real practice.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 05:12:25 AM »
I am actually doing pretty well with Spanish.although I think I am moving too fast and feel I won't remember long term.  However, I remember more Spanish than I thought my high schools days and I think that is making things quicker.  Not a whole lot but it has helped.  I hope I stick with it that would be so cool.  I wish they had a program for Greek.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »
I started duolingo for French this time last year and completed it all inlast night. This was averaging about five lessons per day for about five days a week, so about two hrs a week. I'm currently rated 50% fluent, which I very much doubt. I'd like to get this up to maybe 70% by "strengthening" what I've completed. On top of this I'll get some children's French books, browse the French national judo website and practice speaking with my wife who is pretty fluent after living in Nice for a year. And hopefully go camping in France a couple times for real practice.

I think French seems to have fewer chapters than they have for some other languages I looked at; which also made me wonder how fluent you could get with it. At some point, you will need to go beyond this little app to get real grasp of any language.

I speak German fairly well (have a Bachelor's in German Language) and did the test last night; I think it's helpful for review of vocabulary/constructions I know but don't use much so tend to forget but it's not as good as a week in Munich for sure.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2016, 07:29:09 AM »
On the lawyer thread, someone gave me the idea of getting ACTFL certified.

So, my resolution for the first half of 2016 is to take the Reading Proficiency Test for German.  If it's awesome, I could apply for certification as a translator, which would be a neat side hustle and diversify my skills.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2016, 07:38:01 AM »
Slight reinterpretation of OP, but computer languages are languages too, right?

...I just started a new job in November, and I'll be learning VB.NET as part of the job. Another goal in 2016 is to master jQuery, javascript, and CSS. I think web development will make a good source of side income in post-RE, even though it's many years down the road!

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2016, 08:13:25 AM »
I am actually doing pretty well with Spanish.although I think I am moving too fast and feel I won't remember long term.  However, I remember more Spanish than I thought my high schools days and I think that is making things quicker.  Not a whole lot but it has helped.  I hope I stick with it that would be so cool.  I wish they had a program for Greek.

I'm waiting for Greek too.  I did find a page to sign-up for an alert when it is ready.  I saw two different dates of availability, one was late 2016 and the other in 2017.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
I'm a Latin and Ancient Greek guy so there is really limited learning material on the internet. Le sigh guess it's books for me :)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »

I'm waiting for Greek too.  I did find a page to sign-up for an alert when it is ready.  I saw two different dates of availability, one was late 2016 and the other in 2017.

I didn't realize it was in the works.  I will dig into duolingo a bit more and sign-up for the alert too.  Thank you.   

I have used youtube a bit before, maybe I will use it in the interim in wait for duolingo. 

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »
I find computer languages and Spanish to be very similar.  In each computer language it is a matter of learning how that language does a specific thing.  The basics of what a program actually does is pretty universal.  Same with a spoken language, the concept I want to get across is the same, I just need to use different words and sentence constructs to say it.

In both cases I find that the effort needed to reframe the concept into a different package makes me think more deeply about it.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:58 PM »
Great news everyone! GLOSS, or Global Language Online Support System, is open to public use. It is made by the Defense Language Institute, and is quite decent. I myself use it to maintain proficiency in my target language (Russian)

https://gloss.dliflc.edu/ (Support for almost every language needed by the DOD)

I am also quite biased, as DLI is where I learned Russian.

Want some legends, folktales, ect? https://fieldsupport.lingnet.org/folkTales/index.html

Want to listen in on real phone conversations to help with casual fluency? https://phone.lingnet.org/default_spanish.asp (Spanish and Arabic only)

This is all for open use on any computer. Hope this helps some of you.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »
Thanks for the tip Migrator Soul!

For those working on German, DW also does slowly spoken news, which I've always liked. Here is the link: http://www.dw.com/de/deutsch-lernen/nachrichten/s-8030

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »
This year I'm trying to get better at Teochew. (Chinese dialect) That's the language my family speaks, and when I was like 2 years old, I was really good at it. I'm pretty awful at speaking it now though. I've actually found a couple of iphone apps for learning the language so hopefully that will help!

Slight reinterpretation of OP, but computer languages are languages too, right?

...I just started a new job in November, and I'll be learning VB.NET as part of the job. Another goal in 2016 is to master jQuery, javascript, and CSS. I think web development will make a good source of side income in post-RE, even though it's many years down the road!

Heh, maybe I'll learn a new computer language too. I've always wanted to learn ARM assembly.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2016, 07:50:43 PM »
I'm joining the Spanish cohort of:
- Lian
- arebelspy
- alleykat
- Jeremy E.
- tofuchampion
- nnls
- Frugalicious
- link_417
- hoping2retire35
- RamonaQ
- Jon_Snow
- Cookie78
- votu
- shadowmoss
- winning
- apples

Go team Spanish! (Now I'm off to check out Duolingo and my library to see what they have).

hows everyone going with the Spanish? I am using duolingo and memrise.

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2016, 07:56:01 PM »
- Lian
- arebelspy
- alleykat
- Jeremy E.
- tofuchampion
- nnls
- Frugalicious
- link_417
- hoping2retire35
- RamonaQ
- Jon_Snow
- Cookie78
- votu
- shadowmoss
- winning
- apples

Go team Spanish! (Now I'm off to check out Duolingo and my library to see what they have).

I'm currently at lv.  8 and playing catch up since I skipped a day.

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2016, 08:20:26 PM »
I'm joining you all as part of the Italian contingent.  I take 'in-person' classes but want to supplement with duolingo and rosetta stone.  I just got some Berlitz CDs at the library book sale last week. 

Liz

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2016, 08:34:18 AM »
- Lian
- arebelspy
- alleykat
- Jeremy E.
- tofuchampion
- nnls
- Frugalicious
- link_417
- hoping2retire35
- RamonaQ
- Jon_Snow
- Cookie78
- votu
- shadowmoss
- winning
- apples

I'm doing good so far. I got started with the meetup group again. I knew I'd have lost a bit of momentum after not going for a month, but I sat down beside an ongoing conversation and understood at least 90% of it. :D Other conversations were so fast I didn't catch much at all. When someone talks to me my recollection is still slow so I often need to get them to repeat themselves before I'm sure what they are saying.

I have also been reading Fluent Forever which is about how to learn languages. So far it's quite interesting and hopefully I can apply the principles soon.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2016, 06:23:12 PM »
- Lian
- arebelspy
- alleykat
- Jeremy E.
- tofuchampion
- nnls
- Frugalicious
- link_417
- hoping2retire35
- RamonaQ
- Jon_Snow
- Cookie78
- votu
- shadowmoss
- winning
- apples

I'm doing good so far. I got started with the meetup group again. I knew I'd have lost a bit of momentum after not going for a month, but I sat down beside an ongoing conversation and understood at least 90% of it. :D Other conversations were so fast I didn't catch much at all. When someone talks to me my recollection is still slow so I often need to get them to repeat themselves before I'm sure what they are saying.

I have also been reading Fluent Forever which is about how to learn languages. So far it's quite interesting and hopefully I can apply the principles soon.

I hadnt even thought of meetup groups. I will have to see if there are any in my area

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2016, 06:03:25 PM »
So I started with DuoLingo German, but am finding more joy with the French. Hmmm... I really wanted to learn German. I took both in HS, so I have the accents down. Still at a level I can comprehend. But I can't learn 2 at once! Hmmm... okay, off to practice more. And come to think about it, there are two people at work who speak French that I could practice with.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2016, 06:35:14 PM »
The ability to practice is a Big Deal. I took German classes and got to an intermediate level. Then I met DH, who worked for a German company, and spent time with his German coworkers. My conversational German got better, fast.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2016, 07:57:22 PM »
Another Spanish w\ DuoLingo here, aiming for 3 lessons per day.

I might also take a "Spanish for Healthcare Workers" continuing ed class if the community college offers it again and it works with my schedule.

Look up Mango Languages through your local library's website.  Mango is free through my local library.  I think there is a Spanish for health care lesson on there.  I'm like 70% sure.  I know there's one for law enforcement.  Just in case the class schedule doesn't work out or you'd rather work though free resources before paying for a course.

My library doesn't have Mango. :(

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »
- Lian
- arebelspy
- alleykat
- Jeremy E.
- tofuchampion
- nnls
- Frugalicious
- link_417
- hoping2retire35
- RamonaQ
- Jon_Snow
- Cookie78
- votu
- shadowmoss
- winning
- apples

I hadnt even thought of meetup groups. I will have to see if there are any in my area

I highly recommend it for practicing, but I may also just be lucky with the quality and reliability of my groups. Good luck!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2016, 12:35:38 AM »
The ability to practice is a Big Deal. I took German classes and got to an intermediate level. Then I met DH, who worked for a German company, and spent time with his German coworkers. My conversational German got better, fast.

Yeah, I lived in Taiwan for 6 years, before I first got there I had taken a crash course in Mandarin for about 2 months, but it didn't quite prepare me for it.  I remember falling asleep a couple times while teaching lessons with a native partner as the student and my partner would just be speaking normally.  After about a year of hard study and practice I got fairly conversational, memorized about 3,000 characters, and focused on my pronunciation after that.

When I moved back to the states and started working at my current job I called my wife (native Taiwanese) during lunch.  Once I got off the phone my new coworker who is Chinese was looking around saying, "I could have sworn I heard someone with a Taiwanese accent."  Best compliment I've ever had :-D

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2016, 07:59:27 AM »
Anyone try Mango languages? Not sure how it compares to Rosetta Stone, but it seems like Mango uses a similar method. Maybe? Anyway I recently found out it is free through our local library so I'm going to give Korean a try in January. I want to learn Korean so I can converse with my in-laws and help our daughter learn. Learning Pirate first though! Priorities.

I'm currently learning Japanese with Mango, and so far, I like it. I generally take a couple of days to go through a chapter repeatedly, and I try to review past chapters daily, or as much as possible.

The Mango app has a "dictation" mode that just reads through the lessons without waiting for you to swipe anything, so it's good for practicing while driving or in the shower or whatever. I've logged 16 hours or so, made it through chapter 4.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »
I'm in. I've been half-assed learning Portuguese via Rosetta Stone for like 6 or 8 months now, and I can get reimbursed by my employer for the $200 I paid for it when I finish so I should really double down and get it done.

I used to be pretty much fluent in Spanish back when I graduated college (in 2008 or so...) but it's been on the decline ever since, so I'm hoping to get that going again, via duolingo and also a weekly Spanish chat group we're starting up at work. I also just picked up some Spanish versions of books I've already read on my Kindle (the Fellowship of the Rings and The Golden Compass, to start) to work on my reading comprehension.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
Anyone try Mango languages? Not sure how it compares to Rosetta Stone, but it seems like Mango uses a similar method. Maybe? Anyway I recently found out it is free through our local library so I'm going to give Korean a try in January. I want to learn Korean so I can converse with my in-laws and help our daughter learn. Learning Pirate first though! Priorities.

I'm currently learning Japanese with Mango, and so far, I like it. I generally take a couple of days to go through a chapter repeatedly, and I try to review past chapters daily, or as much as possible.

The Mango app has a "dictation" mode that just reads through the lessons without waiting for you to swipe anything, so it's good for practicing while driving or in the shower or whatever. I've logged 16 hours or so, made it through chapter 4.

Do you have to buy Mango in order to get the app?  If I'm using it through my library, can I get the app?  I would love to use Mango in diction mode while out in the orchard this winter.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »

Do you have to buy Mango in order to get the app?  If I'm using it through my library, can I get the app?  I would love to use Mango in diction mode while out in the orchard this winter.

Nope, the app (for Android) is free. Once you log in through your library and create an account, you can use it whenever.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mango.android

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2016, 05:46:54 PM »
I'm in for improvement in 2016. Need more study time with Japanese. I am partway through the Mango course (love it!) and have finished the app on MindSnacks, but I still play it occasionally to refresh my skills. Currently trying to be consistent with learning vocab on Anki.  So many language resources, so little time!

What other resources have you found for Japanese? I'm only on chapter 4 in Mango, looking for more stuff!

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2016, 05:47:05 PM »

Yes. I was able to sign in to the app with my same browser login (created through the library link) without paying anything. I find it hard to do while driving, but good for household work.

I like the method so far! I feel like it is a bit slow because you learn phrases in their order (hard to jump around) but it seems to be working. My husband is impressed anyway. Funny thing is, he is learning from it too! He left Korea at 10 so he never got a lot of the grammar and language analysis that they teach later. So he has been interested in the cultural notes and literal translations.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2016, 06:05:43 PM »
One of my new year's goals was to brush up on my German using Duolingo.  I'm hoping to get through the whole "tree", currently aiming for at least 30 points/day, sometimes more if I am feeling extra germanic.  I am CatherineAName on duolingo if anyone wants to be friends!

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »
I'm in for improvement in 2016. Need more study time with Japanese. I am partway through the Mango course (love it!) and have finished the app on MindSnacks, but I still play it occasionally to refresh my skills. Currently trying to be consistent with learning vocab on Anki.  So many language resources, so little time!

What other resources have you found for Japanese? I'm only on chapter 4 in Mango, looking for more stuff!
https://www.mindsnacks.com/subjects/japanese  iPhone app with 800+ words and phrases, good for polishing your kana skills and for basic vocab

https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/japanese  I am using the Core 2K/6K Optimized deck right now, and the KanjiDamage desk (a little rude sometimes, but Anki is always editable).  These are good for expanded vocab

http://www.openculture.com/2014/09/lets-learn-japanese.html   video series

Some more resources  http://www.fluentu.com/japanese/blog/japanese-refresher/?utm_source=FluentU+Language+Learning+Tips+and+Updates&utm_campaign=0f1b3f1b8b-Japanese_Learner_Weekly_4_26_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ee7f81dbad-0f1b3f1b8b-90131813

littleqt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »
I'm in as well! It's not quite a foreign language I want to learn, but Python for programming.

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
Challenge accepted. As I am now on my third consecutive 'one semester off' working on my Spanish degree (thanks, life!), I really need to make sure I'm practicing before I (hopefully) start classes back up in the Fall.

Also want to practice my German and Arabic more.

Thanks for all the resources tips everyone!

(oh, and I might as well learn Python while I'm at it)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »
Alright, I am in for spanish.  Add me on Duolingo: kpd9051

I tested in at level 5, no idea what that means.  I had 6 years of spanish but feel like I have forgotten 90% of it.

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2016, 09:25:37 PM »
I am working on Japanese with Memrise, Genki, and a Practice Makes Perfect kana workbook.

One goal is to write a total of 10,000 characters (any) by the end of April.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
Grrr, I missed a couple of days and I have fading strength bars all over the place!  Time to get back on the horse...or das Pferd, I guess.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
I had been working on Italian last year, but now the travel plans have changed and I've switched to French instead. I'm actually finding it SO much easier, which I'm a bit surprised by as although I spent some time there I've barely spoken in in 15 years or so. Apparently I'm at 44% fluency, but I've just made it to the top of the tree that I tested into, and had to turn golden (duolingo). I have to do about 70 points per day to keep everything at full strength and advance a little bit, then some days (like tonight) I have time and do 130 or so. I want to get to the top of the tree with all at full strength by the end of the year, so I have some confidence when / if I manage to get there this time next year.
I'm quite pleased that having started on the 1st, I'm up to 25 days streak.

Kimbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2016, 12:53:47 PM »
I'm in for Spanish as well. Again.  I made this a goal for 2015 and did learn a lot but didn't keep up with it for the whole year.  I really like www.memrise.com for learning vocabulary.  Memrise has Level A1 and A2 courses and there are many, many other ones posted.  I'm also using Duolingo. 

Other resources:  Spanish National TV/Radio,  www.rtve.es  for comprehension
                          Fluent in 3 Months,  www.fluentin3months.com/spanish-reading-practice/    for beginner/intermediate readers

!Buena suerte a todos!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
I'm in for Spanish as well. Again.  I made this a goal for 2015 and did learn a lot but didn't keep up with it for the whole year.  I really like www.memrise.com for learning vocabulary.  Memrise has Level A1 and A2 courses and there are many, many other ones posted.  I'm also using Duolingo. 

Other resources:  Spanish National TV/Radio,  www.rtve.es  for comprehension
                          Fluent in 3 Months,  www.fluentin3months.com/spanish-reading-practice/    for beginner/intermediate readers

!Buena suerte a todos!

I like memrise more than duolingo, but I am also using both.

thanks for the other links

sweetkerryline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Barlow Street
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
I'm in. I am using Michel Thomas to learn french, then moving on to Pimsleur/Assimil. I am supplementing with duolingo and lingvist. My time budget is 1.5 hours/day.

I am also learning Esperanto right now, but will put that one hold for French.

mcampbell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2016, 11:36:37 AM »
So I have been learning Thai for 2 years, this month I decided to go hard core. Taking 2-3hours a day of classes in the morning before work. Making a big difference. Using Anki like 30 min a day also to practice vocab. Who else wants to speak fluently their language by end of the year?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »
One of my new year's goals was to brush up on my German using Duolingo.  I'm hoping to get through the whole "tree", currently aiming for at least 30 points/day, sometimes more if I am feeling extra germanic.  I am CatherineAName on duolingo if anyone wants to be friends!

I added you Cats!

Viel Glueck mit Deutsch!

NeverLost

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
I'm late to the party but I'm in!  Spanish here :)

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2016, 05:15:22 PM »
I'm in!  I want to re-gild my 2/3 done tree in Duolingo for Spanish, and learn at least 5 new lessons on there while keeping the tree golden.  I have a lot of work to do re-gild it, and can only commit to 2-3 lessons/day, and I'm terrible at keeping my streak going.  Also, once August hits I actually have Spanish coworkers I communicate with and my use of Duolingo drops off for those few months (which is how I end up needing to re-gild an entire tree).  Because I use my Spanish for mostly talking and listening, I find it helpful to focus on keeping lessons gilded and in my concrete quick-recall memory.  Learning lots of new lessons helps me get better at recognizing a lot of words if I'm reading, but it takes a while to be able to use most of those new words in conversation.  So golden tree with 5 more lessons done!  (I'm up through Sports, which was really handy to talk about the U.S. - Mexico soccer game where we got killed.)

End of January update:  I managed to re-gild my tree!  There were some big days over over 100 xp that led to this haha.  I've also learned 1/5 new lessons-the Christmas one!  I knew almost all the words and was able to test out of it by the skin of my teeth.  On to learning new lessons!