Author Topic: Learning or Improving at Another Language in 2016  (Read 61655 times)

luciep

Re: Learning or Improving at Another Language in 2016
« Reply #250 on: December 26, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »
I am bilingual in French (was born in France and lived there 25 years) and English (have lived in the US for the last 12 years). In my spare time, I study Spanish (advanced, learned it since middle school), Russian (intermediate, learned it on my own in college) and Swedish (beginner, learned it on my own this year). I guess it is a passion. It feels good when I use my brain to memorize and understand a different language. I also love discovering how people live in different cultures. I should mention I am on a 158 day streak on Duolingo (it could have been more but sometimes the changes they do to their app are so annoying that I stop using it for a while).

Every week, I set aside at least 1h30 per language. During that time, I warm up with a few lessons on Duolingo (15mn). Then I move on to Memrise (15mn). After that, I read a book in the language I am studying (30mn) and I finish with watching part of a movie or a tv show on Netflix (30mn). When I am done, I plan a half hour review a few days later to refresh my memory in between sessions. I am aware that I am missing the conversation part and it is in my plan to pay someone to converse with me. However, I agree with the previous posts in this thread, the best is to travel to a foreign country and talk to people (which is why I'll go to Sweden in a few months).

Everybody learns differently and to improve in a language, I believe it is necessary to figure out what works for you. I have some students (I am a French tutor) that have an exceptional memory and will remember everything we went over during the previous session. Others will only memorize what they hear, so we focus on songs, videos, talking, not so much reading and writing. The most important is to keep doing it on regular basis.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: December 26, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »
I am getting back on track with Spanish

I am currently using duolingo, memrise and michel thomas (mps3 on my phone) I am considering signing up for a course so I have some people to practice with if I can find something reasonably priced.

I just came back from travelling around South America for 10 weeks which kinda helped with my Spanish but not as much as I had hoped.

Dónde fuiste?  Qué lugares te gustaron más?

Peru,  Bolivia,  Chile and  Uruguay.

Favourite was probably Patagonia :)

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: February 05, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
I'm fluent in French but have been plateauing a bit, I think, spending about 7 hrs a week on French activities (grammar, conversation, reading, listening, writing) so I'm challenging my self to double that to 15 hours/week.

Inspired by "Learn French Fast" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt3ZjUfnzks . Techniques would work for any language and the 15 hour/week goal is great.
Kiwi Rosie also has an excellent "starter pack" for French https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt3ZjUfnzks. Too easy for me at this point but the concepts and multi pronged approach are great.

Ultra inspired and amused by 'Victor Hugo becomes a sex god in my mind' – how to get better at French
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/jan/01/how-to-get-better-at-french-victor-hugo-becomes-a-sex-god-in-my-mind

Background:
I've been working on regaining my French fluency for the past two years through immersion courses, weekly conversation group, daily book/magazine reading, podcast listening, etc.  This year I've added 2 hours of weekly in-school volunteering working with French immersion students on reading and conversation.  This activity has really challenged me to super charge my efforts.  Yeah I'm very fluent and can keep ahead of grade 4's working in their second language (they have excellent accents and good comprehension but are still building their vocabulary) but the responsibility to be a good role model of (mostly) correct speaking is very motivating!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: February 11, 2019, 12:29:26 PM »
Feb 4-10 results.   I actually reached over 13h of French activities. Closer to 15h so yay!  But it was really hard and I counted quite a bit of pretty passive TV watching (news, lightweight tele series).  Some days I had over 3 hours and my lowest day was...15 minutes.

Breakdown:

Grammar study: 2h
Reading: 1h 30m
Tutoring kids: 2h 30m
Conversation group: 1h 30m
Podcast: 1h
TV: 5h
Music: 30m

Note to self - up the grammar and reading and lower the TV watching! Or at least be more intentional about the TV choices...

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: February 11, 2019, 01:26:56 PM »
Feb 4-10 results.   I actually reached over 13h of French activities. Closer to 15h so yay!  But it was really hard and I counted quite a bit of pretty passive TV watching (news, lightweight tele series).  Some days I had over 3 hours and my lowest day was...15 minutes.

Breakdown:

Note to self - up the grammar and reading and lower the TV watching! Or at least be more intentional about the TV choices...

Geez, that’s a part time job in French!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »
Haha! Yep, it is enough to be a part-time job but considering that I'm just diverting the time from low value activities, mostly screen scrolling, that I've been whining about on other threads, it's a good gig.   And when you think many (most?) people, myself included if I'm not careful, easily watch 2+ hours of TV per day, there's a lot of time waiting to be redirected.

In fact, it just might help me reduce my screen scrolling if I described it as a part-time job.  Who would be proud to say they had a part-time job mindlessly scrolling through the inter webs for what, 15-20 hours a week?  Even if it were paid!

Breakdown:

Geez, that’s a part time job in French!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: February 17, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
11 hours and 30 minutes of French activities this week. Not 15 but I feel OK about that as both the tutoring session and the conversation group were cancelled taking about 4 hours out of the regular mix.

As well as grammar study and other activities, I listened to a high quality podcast on Vieille Branche, watched/listened to 2 lectures from the College-de-France series (one on Greek mythology and one on Proust/Ruskin) which balanced the very lightweight Le Gendarme de Saint-Tropez film I watched and the many articles I read about the asshats of the Ligue de LOL and their beauferie and worse.

What's happening with other language learners?

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »
11 hours and 30 minutes of French activities this week. Not 15 but I feel OK about that as both the tutoring session and the conversation group were cancelled taking about 4 hours out of the regular mix.

As well as grammar study and other activities, I listened to a high quality podcast on Vieille Branche, watched/listened to 2 lectures from the College-de-France series (one on Greek mythology and one on Proust/Ruskin) which balanced the very lightweight Le Gendarme de Saint-Tropez film I watched and the many articles I read about the asshats of the Ligue de LOL and their beauferie and worse.

What's happening with other language learners?

I've been going to French meetup. Watching some French shows (Terrible, but what can you do?). I had my friend recommend some stand up so I am weaving into that now. I won't lie. Some of the humor slips past me, but some is easier to understand.

I wish I was consistent as my level is pretty high for how mediocre I've been.

Also, my friend who is French is moving south so I don't have anyone fluent to converse with anymore.