Author Topic: Kill your internet addiction - 30min limit per day.  (Read 9935 times)

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Kill your internet addiction - 30min limit per day.
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:32:54 PM »
I have a problem. Im addicted to the Internet. After installing a time logger on my browser I was appalled but not surprised to see the ridiculous amount of hours I spend online each day.

I think in general this is a huge unrecognised problem in our society.

Of course there are millions of amazing benefits of the Internet, but I've been using it mindlessly and in excess for far too long.

My plan

Use internet blockers for my laptop to limit myself to one 30 min window per day. Use this time in a focused way.

Disable Internet on my phone.

Check email once per day around time of 30 minute window.

Who would like to join me?

Edit: Here is a list of helpful resources that have been suggested in this thread
  • Time tracker - google chrome extension
  • Offtime - monitors phone usage. Can block apps on android, feature coming soon to ios.
  • Stay focused - internet control for computer
  • Self control - another way to block computer internet use
  • Kill News Feed - chrome app that blocks only fb new feed. I think it's amazing
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:46:50 AM by intotherealworld »

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
Re: Kill your internet addiction - 30min limit per day.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:45:19 AM »
I'm in!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:11:41 AM »
Hahaha.ahha. ah. I am so not in on this one. I do front end web development to get my money.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:32:25 AM »
working deliberately =/= mindless browsing

faramund

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 02:50:16 AM »
I'm very interested, but how? I'm a very techhy person with a Mac, so I just need a small pointer in the right direction.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:46:00 AM »
I'd say: make a clear distinction between internet/computer use for work, and browsing for entertainment/leasure.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:18:47 AM »
I need to do this myself.  I haven't been able to cut the cord.  But, I will try here. 30 mins is plenty for just surfing around. I really need to break this habit. I have been realizing lately, I have a lot of bad habits.

Working and doing important/productive stuff on the internet is different than mindlessly surfing to me. So, I am in for stopping the mindless surfing. 30 mins a day sounds fair.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 06:19:12 AM »
I should do this.

I... spend a lot of time online.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 07:46:06 AM »
I installed Offtime on my phone.  It blocks distracting apps for a certain block of time.  You can pick which apps you want to allow.  I allowed all of them except for Chrome, and I set it for 11 hours at a time.  That helped a lot.

And then on my laptop, I installed StayFocusd and only blocked facebook.  I allow myself 15 minutes/day of facebook.  I'd like to install a separate one for this forum.  StayFocusd doesn't allow you to set different amounts of time for each website, and 15 minutes is not enough for this forum!  Any suggestions?

It's helping!  I am really addicted too.  My husband was getting pissed (he uses no technology).  I was getting irritable and even depressed, because my kids kept interrupting whichever FASCINATING and ESSENTIAL article I was reading at the time.  :)  Onward!  We can break this!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 08:01:11 AM »
I'm in. This is exactly the reason why DH and I downgraded to flip phones. Smart phones resulted in all-internet-no-real-life for us. I will make an exception for work (online research directly related to my current project or business) and my weekly financial checkups. 30 minutes should be plenty of time to check the news and weather, browse this forum and check email. I hope. I learn a lot of helpful information on this site. But, reaching for the tablet whenever I'm bored or stressed has to stop (at least it isn't chocolate...).

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:03 AM »
I'd say: make a clear distinction between internet/computer use for work, and browsing for entertainment/leasure.

Exactly.

At work I often need to use a computer/look things up. I make sure that I use a work computer for this and not my phone. Doing this makes sure I only stay on work related sites.

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
I installed Offtime on my phone.  It blocks distracting apps for a certain block of time.  You can pick which apps you want to allow.  I allowed all of them except for Chrome, and I set it for 11 hours at a time.  That helped a lot.

And then on my laptop, I installed StayFocusd and only blocked facebook.  I allow myself 15 minutes/day of facebook.  I'd like to install a separate one for this forum.  StayFocusd doesn't allow you to set different amounts of time for each website, and 15 minutes is not enough for this forum!  Any suggestions?

It's helping!  I am really addicted too.  My husband was getting pissed (he uses no technology).  I was getting irritable and even depressed, because my kids kept interrupting whichever FASCINATING and ESSENTIAL article I was reading at the time.  :)  Onward!  We can break this!

Oh wow! I've been looking for an App like offtime for so long. It said that appl clocking for iOS is "coming soon". It cost $4.50 AUD, so in the spirit of moustachianism I downloaded a free equivalent time tracker for iphone -  Moment.  I'll see how it goes.

Hmm, I use "Self Control" on my computer. You can block blacklisted sites for x hours, or allow only whitelisted sites for x hours. Or block everything. You could block facebook/forum or whatever for all hours of the day except a 30 minute period?

faramund

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:53:04 AM »

Oh wow! I've been looking for an App like offtime for so long. It said that appl clocking for iOS is "coming soon". It cost $4.50 AUD, so in the spirit of moustachianism I downloaded a free equivalent time tracker for iphone -  Moment.  I'll see how it goes.

Hmm, I use "Self Control" on my computer. You can block blacklisted sites for x hours, or allow only whitelisted sites for x hours. Or block everything. You could block facebook/forum or whatever for all hours of the day except a 30 minute period?

I just downloaded "Self Control" and its close, but not quite what I want.

To start with I'd like to block Firefox from 11-2, and 6-8, each day. If sounds like offtime would do it, but I think its just a phone app. Has anyone found something that will do this for OSX?

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »
I'm not entirely sure I see the point.  Is internet a bad thing?  For me it would be just as easy to, say, limit my oxygen intake to 30 minutes per day.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
I was just thinking I need to do something like this a few minutes before I saw the post so yes, I'm in.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 05:01:48 PM »
I'm in as well. My challenge is to limit during the daytime.

prax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »

I just downloaded "Self Control" and its close, but not quite what I want.

To start with I'd like to block Firefox from 11-2, and 6-8, each day. If sounds like offtime would do it, but I think its just a phone app. Has anyone found something that will do this for OSX?

I've had good experiences with Freedom https://freedom.to/

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 02:58:13 AM »
I've been failing miserably at this....

Will keep trying.

I learnt today you can block websites on your iPhone  by
Settings - general - restrictions - website - block adult site - the. Copy + paste address in

Let's see if this helps.

This truly is an addiction

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »
Me too.  I waffle between two thoughts:

--the internet is a wedge between me and life-experience.  it is a distraction that keeps me from meditatively absorbing life.

--there is important information, even in random reading, that can shed light on my life and help me live a life with greater intention. 

I am sure the second is true and also not important.  That is, yes I do learn things on the internet, but if I am never just living (just being), what's the point?

So although I know the second isn't important, I let that justification keep me coming back for just one more article or search.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »
Ugh, I have completely failed at this.  Just yesterday, I was so disgusted with myself.  Yes, me too, just one more search, one more look, one more, one more....   I really need to break this habit, it is completely eating away my evenings and I am not doing anything productive but looking at a screen.  Time to really put a time limit on meaningless usage.  This habit will be challenging to break.  But, I am starting this evening to really limit the time I am frittering away. 

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
I got a new phone. I didn't install the facebook app on it. That helped. I also used the facebook see less posts from feature on people who post things that make me unhappy or pissed that they are such morons, conspiracy theory type stuff I haven't been able to talk them out of. That has also made the general experience when I do use facebook better. I don't waste time trying to convince/disprove these morons anymore. Have I created a bubble? Maybe, but I've definitely been more happy.

Dsteadma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »
I have a horrible addiction to Netflix. I need to try this!

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 01:35:25 AM »
Just what I need - had big plans for the weekend, lots to accomplish - yet didn't get much done beyond surfing the web.

I'm going to see what I can install to monitor, then I'm aiming for < 30 mins each weekday at home (unlimited at work obviously) and < 1 hour each weekend day.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 06:30:50 AM »
My goal in March is to not use my computer outside of mornings before work, outside of work.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 09:48:10 PM »
I got a new phone. I didn't install the facebook app on it. That helped. I also used the facebook see less posts from feature on people who post things that make me unhappy or pissed that they are such morons, conspiracy theory type stuff I haven't been able to talk them out of. That has also made the general experience when I do use facebook better. I don't waste time trying to convince/disprove these morons anymore. Have I created a bubble? Maybe, but I've definitely been more happy.

Read 2 books this weekend. BOOM. Free time rediscovered.

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 04:33:57 AM »
- had big plans for the weekend, lots to accomplish - yet didn't get much done beyond surfing the web.

Story of my life...

So things are moderately better on the good days.

Using the free version of the app "Moment" has been really helpful. My phone usage (any use at all, not just internet) has been between 1 and 3 hours per day.

Thinking about spending 3 out of my 16 awake hours (so... almost 20% of my awake life?!!?) on my phone disgusts me. It's linking huge amounts of pain to my current practice and giving me a large incentive to change.

I've also found that actually shutting down my computer completely when I'm done with it really helps. It makes the instant gratification of the internet much less instant, more painful, and so less appealing.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »
I was thinking about this as well today.  I'm in.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
Hah I just read this topic after deciding to quit Facebook for this month. I'm thinking of writing up a blog post soon on my experience with reducing my personal internet usage. I did notice that the first day, I picked up a book ive been procrastinating for months now. I wonder what else I could read when I'm not wasting my time on social networking sites? :)

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 05:43:20 AM »
I had my girlfriend use my phone restrictions to disable safari a few days ago. Big step. I figured I can use work computers to look up anything I need at work.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 05:53:02 AM »
Have not read all the posts on this thread, but just stopping by for a minute to say that getting a new puppy has finally got me off the Internet. Good Lord, you have to be in and out all day, and when you come in from a walk you have to play tug of war and fetch...ad infinitum...and don't even think about trying to read the paper online when it is mealtime for pup and you have to fix his dish--and he eats three times a day. Then we must go out again for the poop walk...etc., etc., etc. I am more active than I've been in years. Also sleeping better because of all the fresh air and exercise. (Pup and I go to bed at 11, because that's when he conks out in his crate--we get up at 6:30 or 7, because that's when we both have to go "out." lol

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 10:19:25 PM »
I've determined that I need to avoid all consumption of short-form content that's not directly related to one of my goals. I think that's a more precise explanation of what most people here are saying. When I keep myself from accessing any of that, it does wonders for me. My problem is that all my various versions of attempted discipline knock each other over when one falls. My four things that work together or against each other: my eating, working only at school and not bringing it home to worry about all night, going to bed at a reasonable time, and staying away from internet distractions.

dmn

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 02:59:18 AM »
Sounds good, I will join in keeping non-work-related internet use to 30 minutes per day.

I will include one exception: watching a series or film with my fiancee on the weekend. :)

How long does this challenge last? I propose trying this for the rest of March at first. I do not feel ready to commit to such a restriction for the rest of my life without even having tried it.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 05:38:15 AM »
I'm in. This one will be hard but I need to do it. I just installed StayFocused. I find it works better than Blocksite for me because it allows a certain amount of internet usage whereas Blocksite is just cold turkey when it is enabled. StayFocused forces me to be intentional about the way I use the Internet but still allows me flexibility in choosing when to do it. I've been using it with a 45 minute limit each day. Time to kick it down to 30 minutes.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 10:07:25 PM »
This is a tough one - what I really need is more focus. I get sidetracked, which leads to excessive computer time and then there is MMM.
I've already started setting the timer on the microwave in the kitchen, which beeps incessantly and is quite annoying - so I have to get up and shut it off.
Unrelated to this challenge - I am spending too much time online, but I do this sort of thing in cycles, so I am not too worried.

It helps having to walk away from the computer, I take a break, get a drink and re-focus on the tasks at hand. Perhaps I'll try four settings of 30 minutes each, that should help me to stick with my new two hour limit.
Right now most of my surfing is for sidehustles or I'm taking a class or researching a topic, I just need it to be dedicated, focused time.

Then there is MMM - 30 minutes seems too short while I'm still in the obsessive stage and working on my journal entries. I'll try an hour a day first, but I still need my MMM fix.

The weather here is so nice right now, I'd rather be outdoors or in the garden, so hopefully that will be my saving grace.

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 05:16:02 AM »
How's everyone going?

The combination of installing the free version of Moment on my phone, having someone else remove safari from my phone, realising I can google things at work on the work computers, and turning my computer off EVERY time I'm done using it has really helped.

I'm averaging a bit over an hour per day on my phone, and it's become much more of a boring object than it was before. I'm also more hesitant to browse online because often I cbf'd turning my computer on.

Today I was emailed an interesting article from a site I intentionally subscribe to. I waited until I got home and then read it on my laptop. And it was great. I think this is how I want to keep using the internet. Intentionally to enrich my life rather than as a distraction and time drain.

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 08:17:34 PM »
I needed this challenge.  I've been spending most of my free time on the internet after work.  I try to convince myself that it's time well spent (for example - I just spent 2 hours on the MMM forums!), but really it's a problem.  I typically spend about 2-3 hours online per night on week days and I shudder to think how much of my weekend is spent in front of the computer. 

I'm going to hold myself to 30 minutes of entertainment internet use / day.  Using the computer for my job / paying bills / etc. won't count.  I think I'll try to keep internet use for fun as separate from my utilitarian use of the internet (i.e., no Facebooking in-between paying bills).  It'll be interesting to see what happens with my time!  Will update (during my 30 minutes) after a week!

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »
Funny Note,   This thread started in february.   I remember reading it in February because im always lurking MMM.

Unfortunately I would fail this challenge because I spend like 2 hours a day on MMM ( averaged, I probably hit 6 hours some days)

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2016, 09:50:23 PM »
I used to have StayFocused on my old laptop and I've noticed I've been internetting more and more. So no more of that. Back to 1 hr max. That's plenty of time a day to go on stupid websites and dick around.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
How's everyone going?

Failing miserably. Still spending way too much useless time online, which costs me (of course) too much time, but worse: sleep.
And sleep deficit impairs focus and impulse control which makes it harder to resist the temptation to spend useless time online.
Vicious cycle. FML.

Time for drastic measures: This friday I will bring my wifi adapter to work and store it in my locker, where it will stay for the next 2 weeks, together with my iPad and (work) laptop.

Let's see what this experiment brings.

Things to do instead of browsing/clicking/wwilfing/YT'ing/F5'ing/FB'ing:
-Sleep more and better (at least 8 hours of sleep every night and no screen time 2 hours before bedtime)
-Outdoor activities
-Household chores
-Decluttering/minimizing
-Reading books instead of snacking on online content
-Socializing

For starters I'll keep mobile phone though.
-Still able to keep up with my (private) email. Don't expect problems with that: I don't get crazy amounts of email and I have my Gmail set up very well with labels and filters, so my Gmail inbox has been at zero by default for almost a year now :-)
-Still able to use Google calendar.
-Still able to use Google Docs, for example to check the schedule of my side gig job that I really, really like, and keep my to-do-list
-Still able to use whatsapp for social purposes. Not too many problems expected here as well.
-Still able to use facebook (mobile website, I don't use the app). This might be a pitfall, but I think the 'events' justify it.
-I have a bluetooth keyboard, so I'll even be able to type decent stretches of text on my phone.

I hope the tiny screen will discourage endless browsing on 5+ tabs enough to substantially reduce my time online at home.
Whenever I want to look up something, I can do it at work.

I'll keep you posted.

Please facepunch me when necessary.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:57:37 AM by DagobertDuck »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
I'm doing a lot better, but 30" is not enough time for me to check the weather, headlines, blogs I like, and my two email accounts. I've got it down to slightly over an hour in the early mornings, and limit myself to one TV show episode or movie in the evening. I don't limit "business" kinds of things like checking the Stash or working on my budget. I find that doing real world things like going outside, playing with the dog, reading, drawing, or playing my musical instruments, or even in a modest and orderly manner trying to keep the house clean and Zen...is far more rewarding. But boy, is the Internet ever addictive. My phone, not so much. I've never been very hung up on my phone.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
Big FAIL for me - but in a good way, I found a way to make money on line and now I'll also be sprucing up my photography website, so well, it isn't working for me.
Cut way down on TV time though:) and even spending less time on MMM but I like it here, so I am just mildly reducing my time.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
Failing terribly at this :(

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 09:06:31 AM »
This is it! Leaving the office in 5 minutes, while wifi adapter, iPad and laptop stay in my locker.
Digital detox starting right now!

Bye bye :-)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2016, 02:49:00 AM »
Update (from office):
It works pretty well! Not perfect yet, but I did spend waaaay less time clicking and browsing. Went to bed more than 2 hours earlier than usual. Got more (offline) things done than usual. Felt a bit restless sometimes since #1 pacifier is gone, but all in all: experiment succesful so far. Laptop and wifi adapter will definitely stay at work!

MaryByrne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2016, 06:37:18 PM »
I need to do this to savor the last days of my summer vacation before my first year of college. Now my Mom is back to work so I've been home alone and wasted it with unsatisfying internet browsing and mind wasting. I love using the internet to find new tips to improve my life, but if I don't follow the hundreds of tips I've already found it's a waste. Like collecting things I won't ever use. I think I am going to start with a 2-hour time limit tomorrow and try not to use the computer for anything but video streaming later today as a family bonding activity of watching Netflix. I plan to eventually print out my Pinterest boards, favorite MMM forum threads, and bookmarks to use as a checklist reference and actually improve my life/use of time rather than think about it. My plan 2 hours, 1 and half hour, 1 hour as my ultimate goal. Not including 1-2 hours of family media time. Currently at about 6 hours of internet usage today.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!