Author Topic: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge  (Read 95221 times)

max9505672

• Bristles
Re: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge
« Reply #500 on: March 04, 2019, 03:57:43 PM »
Yes.  i'm 5'11" and went from 165 to 155 on keto and have kept on the low-carb lifestyle for the resulting gut health.  it turns out that eating a lot of processed grain makes my gut feel bloated and shitty.  when i started keto i felt an immediate benefit to cognitive and gut health, but you soon adapt to that and it's not as mind blowing after 6 months or so.  that's why a lot of people don't continue long term.  but once i got fat adapted, my life changed.  i'm not hungry all the time.  i don't have the 3pm crash.  mind fog is greatly reduced.  gut health is pretty good.  and i was never a fat or majorly unhealthy person.  maybe just a weakling, lol.  a skinny guy.

if you're interested in the science behind it, search upthread for my lists of Rogan podcasts and youtube links.

That's pretty much me. I am 5'10'' 165-170 pounds , would ideally like to loose 10 pounds to be really ''fit'' but I don't have weigth issues whatsoever.

I really believe in the gut as being the ''second brain'' of the body and the relation between the gut and the brain, the mood, energy levels, etc. so that's mostly why I'm interested in keto personnally. For sure, the weigth part in nice, but only a side benefit for me.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #501 on: March 14, 2019, 08:49:01 AM »
Started Keto the day after the superbowl (Feb 4).  I usually crash and burn on diets within 2 weeks... I'm 5.5 weeks in and show no sign of stopping keto!

5'10. Male. 28.

Starting weight: 193.5
Goal weight: 175
Holy shit I'm stunned goal weight: 165

2/4/2019: 193.5
2/11/2019: 189.4
2/18/2019: 186.7
2/25/2019: 186.1
3/4/2019: 182.5
3/11/2019: 180.2

Total: 13.3 pounds (2.66 pounds per week on average).

Keto is working for me.  It doesn't feel like a diet.  I have been going to the gym every other day while doing this...

PaLeti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #502 on: April 19, 2019, 03:04:26 AM »
Has anyone tried low carb beer while on diet? I have seen https://www.ketowiz.com/low-carb-taco-bell/ that taco bell is doing low carb beers and I was wondering does that will not make me sick if I occasionally have low carb beer with meal?

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #503 on: April 19, 2019, 09:41:24 AM »
Yeah I'd stay away from Fast food joints even if they are "low-carb". I can't imagine the low-carb taco bell offerings to have a high nutrient density, and I'd guess that the fats and oils that they use will be highly inflammatory. My suggestion would be to steer clear of Taco Bell.

A low cal/carb beer probably isn't great. But if you only have one every once in a while it's probably not the worst thing you could do. But if it's a binge trigger then stay away from it.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2019, 03:31:42 PM »
I like whiskey as a decent low carb drink option on occasion.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #505 on: April 27, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »
This is a great thread, and I love that people are sticking with this and checking back in with their progress!

I'm going into Day 4 of <30ish net carbs and feeling good so far.  I don't plan to do long-term keto, but want to get my sweet tooth under control.  It was fine when I was following a stricter paleo diet, but has crept back on me with being lax and doing more baking.  Last week I probably ate 2 bags of easter candy, and that shit needed to stop.

Back when I was doing more paleo, I was also running a lot, so I did well eating about 120 grams of carbs (total, I wasn't calculating net).  But now my running is limited, so I suspect I should really reduce that and find the sweet spot

Leaving for a 5-day work trip on May 6, for which we'll be driving and have a hotel room with a fridge.  Not drinking beer with my co-workers will probably be the biggest challenge.  I'm thinking I'll shoot for <30 net carbs, and then allow one beer or red wine each night as well.

Breakfast this morning:  carnitas fried up in their fat and scrambled with eggs, jalapeno and spinach, and topped with half a salted avocado.  A few blueberries and raspberries on the side.  Early I had a big cup of coffee with heavy cream (my normal already).  On the weekends, eating a late breakfast around 11, maybe a tiny snack, and then dinner around 6-7 is what we already do.  I'd love it if I could start skipping breakfast on workdays too.  I think it's just the boredom of staring at a computer screen in the mornings that makes me want to eat.

Is anyone maintaining in lower carb, but not keto?  From what I've read about insulin, it makes sense to me that eating keto 23 hours a day, and then eating a conservative amount of a low glycemic carb with one meal could work well, and allow more variety, because there's only one insulin release event per day instead of several.  Of course, you need to not be insulin resistant to begin with.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #506 on: June 14, 2019, 10:15:00 PM »
Sad that this thread seems to have died?

I'm actually enjoying the very low carb diet a lot more than I thought I would, and it has definitely extinguished my sweet tooth.  So far I've lost about six pounds, despite some less-than low carb time during work travel.  I don't think I'm in ketosis and haven't tested.  I'm probably ranging from 20-40 net carbs per day since I eat berries and drink some red wine.  Occasionally have some squash or beets with dinner.

Right now I'm cruising this website: https://greekgoesketo.com/ and finding lots of things I want to make!

Buntastic

« Reply #507 on: June 15, 2019, 05:40:52 AM »
Sad that this thread seems to have died?

I'm actually enjoying the very low carb diet a lot more than I thought I would, and it has definitely extinguished my sweet tooth.  So far I've lost about six pounds, despite some less-than low carb time during work travel.  I don't think I'm in ketosis and haven't tested.  I'm probably ranging from 20-40 net carbs per day since I eat berries and drink some red wine.  Occasionally have some squash or beets with dinner.

Right now I'm cruising this website: https://greekgoesketo.com/ and finding lots of things I want to make!

Don’t bother with the pee strips. From everything I’ve read they’re not indicative of nutritional ketosis (versus diabetic ketoacidosis, which is what they’re meant to test for).

I’m still plugging away on keto, 2.5 years now. Bottomed out at 171, been slowly gaining weight back but pretty sure it is all or almost all muscle as I’ve been very active on the farm and with other activity. At 184ish currently but basically the same waist size as 171.

I’ve become ridiculously sensitive to sugar. I can’t even eat processed or cured meats listed at “0g” carbs (which means they just have <1) if they have any form of sugar in their ingredients. But small amounts of fresh berries or a low-fruit smoothie (1/2 cup of frozen berries, avocado, spinach, unsweetened almond milk) doesn’t affect me.

Tried switching from potassium chloride to potassium citrate for my potassium supplementation (many people I know like the taste better) but my body felt really weird so I’m back to what I know works.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #508 on: July 05, 2019, 07:11:30 PM »
I was on Keto for about 9 months and lost about 16 kgs [35lb] (from 100+ to 84). Got to my BMI target. And from tight fitting 38" to comfortable fitting 34" jeans. Great diet to loose weight (as long as you actually stick to the macros and get into nutritional ketosis.) No hunger!

But it was driving my SO crazy (she loves pasta) and I'd made my target, so have been off keto for 6 months. BUT strangely my weight hasn't rebounded, but is holding nicely at about 87. So it seems keto changed my microbes/metabolism so I'm not piling it back on, maybe with lower caloric intake as well? Yes, I don't eat SAD, avoid sugar mostly, but I do eat carbs and drink beer.

Just my experience to date. Super happy with what keto did for me.

Buntastic

« Reply #509 on: July 06, 2019, 06:49:04 AM »
Keto is just a fad diet, totally doesn’t work...

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #510 on: July 06, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »
Keto is just a fad diet, totally doesn’t work...

lookin' good dude. Well done.

^^I find the lowest carb beer is the Michelob Ultra here in USA. In Aussie there were some super low carb beers [Big Head no carb lager  https://burleighbrewing.com.au/our-beer/].  But spirits are zero carb. The alcohol delays your ketosis and fat burning, hurts your liver a bit, but doesn't throw you out of ketosis.

The key for me was really being fanatic about staying below 20g/day net carbs and then (with a bit of exercise to build muscle) the weight melts away.. I think once you've gotten your metabolism realigned on fat and have lost a good % of your target you can ease the carbs up a bit to maybe 40-50g if you exercise a bit.

Buntastic

« Reply #511 on: July 06, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »
My body reacts to grain with an inflammatory response. Spirits are okay-ish but I don’t particularly like the way it interacts with my anti-depressant. I had my first drink in about a year while on vacation last week. Enjoyed it, but not sure the after effects were worth it. I was drinking way too much anyways (close to a liter of whiskey a week!).

Glad you’ve found a happy medium :) It looks like I am more the type that needs to stay quite strict for the long term (or accept consequences of deviation) but I’m fine with that to be honest.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #512 on: July 11, 2019, 03:22:53 PM »
You look like a new person!

I took a break while my dad was visiting, and I subsequently went on a small vacation (10 days total).  Got right back on the wagon when I got home, and about 12 days in, feel like I'm about back where I was before the break, which is fine, but I hope to start losing again.

Still finding little places to cut a gram or two of sugar or carbs here and there.  However, I'm occasionally eating some of my homegrown root veggies.  There is plenty of variety.  Really, I have lots of recipes I want to try and I'm finding it easy to stick to.

Buntastic

« Reply #513 on: July 11, 2019, 04:40:44 PM »
You look like a new person!

I took a break while my dad was visiting, and I subsequently went on a small vacation (10 days total).  Got right back on the wagon when I got home, and about 12 days in, feel like I'm about back where I was before the break, which is fine, but I hope to start losing again.

Still finding little places to cut a gram or two of sugar or carbs here and there.  However, I'm occasionally eating some of my homegrown root veggies.  There is plenty of variety.  Really, I have lots of recipes I want to try and I'm finding it easy to stick to.

Fresh in-season berries have been a small downfall for me. A bit more sugar than my body wants re:inflammation. But the season is so short it’s not the end of the world.

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #514 on: July 28, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
Lower carb , about 40-60 g a day , mostly from vegetables and I am more lenient than Keto in that I eat peas carrots and strawberries ...down from likely 150-200 g a day
Week 8
Down 11 lbs with zero effort and lots of travel and easy on family

I have done low carb at 30 g a day but found it hard after 2 months psychologically
This moderation has been easy without too much thinking
I hope the loss continues to my goal of 30 lbs

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #515 on: July 28, 2019, 10:28:29 PM »
Sounds good, Chickadee!  That's where I'm hoping to land longer-term.  Made potato chips in the air fryer from homegrown potatoes as a side dish tonight.  They were good.

The berries are almost done here, so that will offset all the carrots, beets and potatoes I'm about to start eating.

I'm stuck at about a 6 pound weight loss and want to lose 9 more.  In the last week or so I've had more energy to hit the gym, so that should help (I already ride and do other horse stuff daily).

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #516 on: July 29, 2019, 06:36:57 AM »
Sounds good, Chickadee!  That's where I'm hoping to land longer-term.  Made potato chips in the air fryer from homegrown potatoes as a side dish tonight.  They were good.

The berries are almost done here, so that will offset all the carrots, beets and potatoes I'm about to start eating.

I'm stuck at about a 6 pound weight loss and want to lose 9 more.  In the last week or so I've had more energy to hit the gym, so that should help (I already ride and do other horse stuff daily).
Keep it up!
Moderation is great ... I want to be fit but I am not going to kid myself and say a fry will never pass these lips! I am willing to truthfully say that fries will not pass the lips every weekend day.

Buntastic

« Reply #517 on: July 29, 2019, 06:43:21 AM »
Even relatively strict keto people generally consider berries (in small amounts) fine on keto because they are low-glycemic compared to other fruits.

So much is about finding what works for your specific body. Some folks really notice a difference between 20-30g of carbs, some notice a difference between this or that carby (but keto friendly) food, etc. Some depends on genetics and microbiome, some depends on whatever maze of food intolerances many folks have, some depends on activity level (high level athletes often benefit from 50-100g or more of carbs, yet some of the baddest-ass athletes I know do best on 100% carnivore.)

What seems to work best for me is seasonal eating. Truly ripe, fresh berries are worth it for me in small to moderate amounts. Fruit in general seems to be better than root veggies. In winter when most produce is kinda meh I’ll do a spinach, avocado and frozen berry smoothie some days but otherwise be carnivore mostly.

I’ve recently also started trying to introduce alcohol again. Making some fruit infusions with vodka and whiskey, and also drinking whiskey straight.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #518 on: September 15, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
I've been trolling through the older Rogan podcasts and I need to update this list.
Add Mark Sisson as the first one you should watch.  They cover the low-carb thing in great detail but without much of the science behind it.  There's a lot of practical advice on food choices.

While not really keto related, David Sinclair has been on twice and I really enjoyed those episodes.  Sinclair is a Harvard Med researcher at the bleeding edge of research on why we age and what can be done to slow it down and reverse aging, so if you're looking for optimization, check those out.

I searched the thread and couldn't find any mention of Joe Rogan.  You prob know him from Fear Factor or stand-up, but he also hosts a podcast most days.  As an MMA commentator and Jiu-Jitsu guy he has a lot of athletes and cutting edge researchers that study athletic performance and diet as guests.  I've been watching them on youtube, but you can find them on his own website or other podcast aggregator sites.  The format is well suited to getting deep into the details.  Most are 2 to 3 hours long and it's just Joe and the guest talking about whatever the guest is an expert in plus whatever side topics come up.  I find them fascinating because in traditional media you get a handful of soundbites, sound effects and some really dramatic sounding commentary (i'm looking at you npr).

So how is this relevant to the Keto Thread on MMM?  There are several keto/diet expert guests on his show that range from athlete to R1 type researchers.  Rather than put up links, I'm going to name them and you can search them on the site you like.  As I mentioned, I watch on youtube on the channel PowerfulJRE, which is Rogan's official channel.  These have been life-changing to me and I hope you guys will find some info and motivation in the same way I have.

These will get you off to a good start, listed in order of relevance to keto diet.  It's ok to skip around as you see fit, but you have to watch Dom D'Agostino first.  He's a clinical researcher specializing in keto diet.

Dom D'Agostino
Nina Teicholz
Robb Wolf
Peter Attia
Gary Taubes
Rhonda Patrick
Shawn Baker
Ben Greenfield
Kelly Brogan

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #519 on: September 23, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »
Well I gained 10 pounds last week trying just calorie counting and my usual 4-5 day a week exercising.  REALLY need to step it up.  Going on a beach vacation in 2 weeks and then another at the end of December!!

Currently 9/23:  5'10 197  Goal: <185 by October 5th!

I know that sounds extreme but I lost 10 lbs in a week and doing Keto.

Exercise Schedule for this week: Monday Yoga/Abs plus walk 5-6 miles at work
                             Tuesday: Run 1 Mile, then Chest/Back the Walk 2 miles
                            Wednesday: Walk 5-6 miles at work then Yoga or Core stuff or Ab workout
                             Thursday: Shoulders and Arms Run 1 mile
                             Friday: 1 hour Cardio at home (p90x) or ! hour Orange Theory

I figure if I put it on here, I'll actually do it!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #520 on: September 23, 2019, 09:46:07 PM »

I've lost 2-3 more pounds.  It seems like eating root vegetables and some fruit a few times a week has actually helped.  I don't count anything, just limit my carbs to things I, or someone I know, has grown.  Maybe a cup of cantaloupe at lunch, and half a cup of carrots with dinner.

Recently I read "The Secret Life of Fat."  The author is a scientist, and spends a couple chapters detailing her own weight loss.  She said she would eat something like a chicken salad, and then just a few bites of something with carbs after that, which helped with satiety.  I found the same thing by accident where I'd eaten pretty low carb, and rummaging around in the fridge, ate a few bites of cooked carrots and was instantly no longer hungry, and didn't get hungry again for several hours.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #521 on: September 25, 2019, 08:34:26 AM »
Update....started Monday (granted I had PF Changs and Subway the day before).....

Currently at 189.6 25.8% bodyfat.....Monday was 197 and over 26% bodyfat!  GO KETO!!!!

....and yes I know that is mostly water weight but still.....

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #522 on: September 25, 2019, 10:03:38 PM »
Love seeing all the progress on this thread.  Huge fan of Dr. Jason Fung's work and on how revolutionary the keto diet is. 

Ever since I started doing keto, I've felt a lot better.  My results (in terms of energy, overall health, blood work, etc) really took off, though, once I started pairing keto with intermittent fasting.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: November 05, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »
On an extended fast now.  Hoping to make it to 5 days.  I successfully did a 5 day fast in February, it's not as hard as it sounds.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: November 11, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
I'm baaaack! Introduced myself here a year or two ago then fell back onto the high carb bandwagon.

I've joined a couple keto groups online and have found some additional recipes that make life more bearable. That being said I had a cheat night last night and woke up horribly stiff and bloated this morning. I'm learning. Today is all about trying to shake the starting over ideas out of my head and just fall back into the new normal.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #525 on: November 12, 2019, 07:51:42 AM »
Still mostly sticking with it over here.  Last night we had a skillet dinner with homegrown potatoes.  I try to only do something that carb-heavy about once a week.  I'm glad to be in soup season now.  Creamy chowders make really good one-pot meals.  I was sick for pretty much the entire month of October, and totally abandoned my exercise routine, but didn't gain any weight.  I read somewhere recently that keto helps preserve muscle mass when not training, which is a nice feature, because it means metabolism isn't declining with loss of muscle, plus, less ground to make up when you get back at it.

Also, CostCo is selling more keto-friendly products now, which is helping control the budget.  Yesterday I popped into the Grocery Outlet that's next door to the feed store to see if they had cookies for hiding my horse's meds.  Last time I did a recon of that store, it seemed the few things I would consider buying weren't really any cheaper than at other stores, but this time, they had good deals on quite a few products including monkfruit sweetener, coconut oil, chia seeds, coconut flour, olive oil, grassfed ground beef, and a few other things.  CostCo is still a better deal on unit price for most things, but thought I'd mention this for anyone who might be near a Grocery Outlet and doesn't shop at CostCo or prefers to buy smaller amounts of somethings.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #526 on: November 13, 2019, 08:41:06 AM »
current keto snack:
roasted, salted almonds dipped in kerrygold butter or refrigerated bacon grease.
yum!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!