Author Topic: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge  (Read 95226 times)

Thegoblinchief

Re: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2018, 11:26:01 AM »
I add sodium and potassium via food and mixing in with coffee, water, and other drinks.

I also supplement magnesium and vitamin D. Magnesium I was at the often recommended 400mg for keto folks but have been slowly pushing it higher on the advice of my chiro. Vitamin D I’m supplementing based on the levels on my last blood work.

What do you use for potassium?  Is it a specific product? 

I get NuSalt from the grocery store, which is the cheapest form I’ve found in my area. Some folks prefer a brand called NoSalt. I’ve also sometimes had my wife bring it home from work. (They manufcature potassium chloride among many other things for a variety of food companies.)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:35 PM »
I add sodium and potassium via food and mixing in with coffee, water, and other drinks.

I also supplement magnesium and vitamin D. Magnesium I was at the often recommended 400mg for keto folks but have been slowly pushing it higher on the advice of my chiro. Vitamin D I’m supplementing based on the levels on my last blood work.

What do you use for potassium?  Is it a specific product? 

I get NuSalt from the grocery store, which is the cheapest form I’ve found in my area. Some folks prefer a brand called NoSalt. I’ve also sometimes had my wife bring it home from work. (They manufcature potassium chloride among many other things for a variety of food companies.)

Thanks.  I'll look for it. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
Hello thread!

My girlfriend and I have been 95% low-carb paleo for the last ~4.5 years.

I grew up eating starch, peanut butter, and fat-free dairy (seriously, 95% of what I ate was cereal, skim milk, peanut butter, bread, pasta, and ketchup; 95% might be a *low* estimate) until age 20~21.  I was incredibly stubborn about food and nutritionally very apathetic, and didn't broaden my horizons *at all* until moving in with my girlfriend. 

GF grew up in an *interesting* household.  Her mom had/has extreme narcissism, and actively tried to basically get her daughters to gain weight as teenagers so that she would always be more attractive than them (it sounds fucked because it is; I didn't quite believe it until I met the woman).  This meant tons of soda/candy/cookies/muffins/cupcakes lying around the house ALL THE TIME, and CONSTANTLY PUSHED ON HER and her sisters EVERY DAY.  She ate some real food, but supplemented with mountains of normalized garbage.  This led to her gaining weight in her teens.

After moving in together, she (slowly) introduced me to cooking and actual food, I read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, found Mark Sisson's blog, other similar resources, and basically fell into that mindset of health and learned a lot while still not quite eating that way.  At some point, I tried to do a grain-free month just to see how it would go (since Mark Sisson in particular is so flamboyantly anti-grains), but since I was the only member of the household doing it, that basically just lead to me eating way less, and turned my then-skinnyfat self into just plain skinny (152 at my lowest, and I'm a 5'11 dude).  GF flipped out and basically said to stop that before I wither away into nothing.  Peanut butter sandwiches and ketchup-pasta returned, supplementing our real food plus some junk.

Then GF started learning about the same sort of nutritional things, kickstarted from wanting to improve her skin with weight loss as secondary, and we pretty much hard switched over to 100% low-carb paleo in September 2013.  We also bought a squat rack and a barbell and started lifting.

She yo-yo'd a bit on weight (it not being her focus) with the trend being downwards , but then decided to focus on it, and since September of last year has so far lost 53lbs (2.3lb/week average).  To that end she started guestimating calories with a defined cap, striving to eat less while maintaining nutrient density, 18:6 intermittent fasting (broken somewhat when traveling for work, but still pretty close), 10k steps/day no matter what, HIIT 1-2x/week, and a return to lifting 3x/week (she fell off the wagon with that after about a year of paleo).

Personally, I feel way better on low-carb paleo (now that I'm actually eating nutrients and not just taking a multivitamin and pretending that's enough), and was eventually able to put on some of the good kind of weight (and a bit of the bad; hope to shed that this year).  I'm definitely in the don't-care-when-I-eat-during-the-day stage now.  It's incredibly convenient.  I don't intermittent fast specifically, but I wind up in that pattern sometimes.  Today I had coffee (homemade fake Starbucks vanilla sweet cream cold brew) at 7am and then nothing until 3pm (and then a second meal at 4pm because that's how I roll).  Presently I am lifting 3x/week, but I've gotten on and off that horse a few times (once after a big move, once during a litter of puppies, once post-vasectomy).

There seems to be a lot of supplement talk right now - the only supplements we take are cod liver oil (from Rosita) and collagen peptides.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
@jane x — this is the recipe I will be making: http://runrunlolo.com/recipe/lemon-bar-fat-bombs/

And peppermint: https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/peppermint-fat-bombs/

I will report back on how they turn out!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2018, 08:38:26 AM »
@ketchup Awesome! Always good to hear from people who have been eating this way longer term.

On supplements, I personally have to add a lot of sodium, potassium, and magnesium or I have terrible muscle cramps, spasms, and weird heart racing, etc.

I take a multivitamin as cheap insurance since I’m not great about diverse veggies in the winter.

The vitamin D, I had low levels diagnosed by blood test. Will get retested once the sun strength gets better. I probably only need to take it in the winter months.

Everyone’s body is different :)

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »
Starting in on a 3 day fast. Not really my idea, but I'm sick enough to require IV antibiotics, so there's that.

Backstory: Both my wife and I have had some really bad stomach issues since moving to kansas city. We started filtering our drinking water recently, and the issues cleared up, but not before I got sick enough to require hospitalization. Intestinal inflammation is both dumb and painful. So it goes.

So yeah, no food for a few days, then slowly adding it back in. At least I'll be a little thinner by the end of it I guess!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2018, 08:52:11 AM »
I am also doing a 3 day fast, I'm about 36 hrs in with 36 hrs to go.  Feeling fantastic.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2018, 07:23:05 AM »
@jane x — this is the recipe I will be making: http://runrunlolo.com/recipe/lemon-bar-fat-bombs/

And peppermint: https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/peppermint-fat-bombs/

I will report back on how they turn out!
I made lemon cheesecake fat bombs instead since I didn’t have any coconut butter (I will see if my nutribullet I strong enough to make it... because coconut butter is kind of expensive) based on this recipe: https://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/lemon-cheesecake-fat-bombs/Default.aspx

I put them into silicone candy molds so it made around 36 instead of 12. They are -okay- but I should have added in a little more sweetener because they’re a bit too sour. Oh well! I’m sure the peppermint ones will be better and I’ll have to try the lemon bar ones once I eat these up.

I will say that one serving (3 pieces for me, 1/12 of the recipe) makes me feel completely full. Keto godsend.

For dinner last night I had steak and a little caprese salad. Went easy on the tomatoes and balsamic but it was great.

Today BF and I are double-dating at a hockey game. I got burned last time eating at the stadium ($10 shriveled meat patty looked SO SAD on a bed of lettuce with some mustard. Just... sad salad.) so I packed another 3 lemon bombs for lunch and packed leftover steak, some cheddar and Gouda, and pickles for dinner. I’ll eat at the office around 6 and then meet up with BF for the game after that.

Keto is so much easier with planning.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
Day 5 of focus!  How's everyone doing?

@brute - I'm so sorry to hear that you and your wife have been so sick.  I wish you both a speedy recovery.

I hope the fasters are doing well.  And @lexde - those bombs look wonderful.  And reading about your steak makes me think maybe I should go and pick up some for myself!  A good juicy steak is the best. 

I've lost some more weight and I'm so happy to finally be getting rid of some of this water gain.  I'm down 4 lbs from Monday's weight.  Dh lost over 6 lbs in three days.  The bastard!  :) 

I have discovered pork shoulder as a very tasty and inexpensive ($1.89 lb) source of protein for grilling.  We tried thick pork chops but we don't have the grilling expertise for them - it was very hard to get them to come out juicy.  And they're more expensive too.  I bought it at Costco in a big bag.  It's got great flavor and is very forgiving on the grill.  Their pork cushion meat is even cheaper at $1.49 lb but I think that's a leaner cut.  The cushion meat makes an excellent roast though - I've made that many times.  I just cut the shoulder into steaks and seasoned them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.  If you can season overnight, or even a few days in advance, the flavor of chicken and pork improves significantly (I learned about early salting from the Zuni Cafe cookbook and it's fantastic).  I froze most of it in freezer bags after I seasoned it, that way it will be ready to go on the grill.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
When I do pork shoulder on the grill, I do it with the smoker insert for true BBQ, so very low and slow and requires patience. But it’s still awfully delicious cooked in the crockpot, shredded, and then tossed with spices or even just salt and pepper.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2018, 05:39:43 PM »
My husband and I are doing keto for Lent.  We are three days in.  I am staying around 30 carbs a day.  Just saying hi and I'll stop in here to visit once in a while.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2018, 07:28:21 PM »
When I do pork shoulder on the grill, I do it with the smoker insert for true BBQ, so very low and slow and requires patience. But it’s still awfully delicious cooked in the crockpot, shredded, and then tossed with spices or even just salt and pepper.

Oh my goodness...pork shoulder is pretty much the best thing ever.  Because we’re lazy and don’t currently have a grill, we usually put it in the crockpot overnight on low.   Vinegar, garlic, lots of S&P, chili powder.  It’s just amazing shredded, and the leftovers get better each day by sitting in the juices.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2018, 04:48:29 AM »

Oh my goodness...pork shoulder is pretty much the best thing ever.  Because we’re lazy and don’t currently have a grill, we usually put it in the crockpot overnight on low.   Vinegar, garlic, lots of S&P, chili powder.  It’s just amazing shredded, and the leftovers get better each day by sitting in the juices.

Yeah, it’s quite possibly my favorite cut of meat. Pork loin roasts also give similar results in the slow cooker ( trickier to smoke, though, because of being leaner). Beef chuck roasts are also good but I think pork lets you have more seasoning flexibility.

Worth noting that in many areas of the US, pork shoulder is confusingly called Boston butt.

I don’t think you’ll ever find a ham at the store that isn’t already smoked and cured, but that muscle group is also very similar.

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2018, 05:01:44 AM »
Does anyone else batch cook bone broth? It's basically replaced my morning coffee and it's great.

I do most of my cooking these days via a pressure cooker, which seems like the perfect instrument for making this stuff. When cooking up a chicken and various cuts of meat, just don't throw away the water, strip the meat, and cook the bones in it (with additional water depending on how many bones you have available). If you want to add salt, I've heard it's better to do this towards the end of the cook as it allows for more minerals to leech from the bones.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:03:39 AM by Forever Wednesday »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2018, 05:06:08 AM »
Does anyone else batch cook bone broth? It's basically replaced my morning coffee and it's great.

I do most of my cooking these days via a pressure cooker, which seems like the perfect instrument for making this stuff. When cooking up a chicken and various cuts of meat, just don't throw away the water, strip the meat, and cook the bones (with additional water depending on how many bones you have available). If you want to add salt, I've heard it's better to do this towards the end of the cook as this allows for more minerals to leech from the bones.

I love the idea of broth but, weirdly, I’ve tried making it multiple ways with multiple types of meat/bones and it always makes me nauseous. So instead I feed all meat scraps to my chickens, letting them pick the remaining meat off the bones. They love it.

If the bones are raw (like when I debone rabbit to grind it) I roast the bones for 30 minutes first to cook the meat. The chickens eat it more enthusiastically cooked, and in the warmer times of year the cooked meat attracts far fewer flies while they’re cleaning it up.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »
Ok, next batch of pork shoulder will be made into a roast.  Looking forward to that.

I make big batches of bone broth.  I found that beef bones give off a weird smell and taste that I find gross.  My favorite is pork  followed by chicken.  I have an ethnic market nearby where I buy pork feet - gross sounding I know - but it really makes a wonderful addition to the broth.  You get a very rich silky broth.  I cook mine on my stove top, just let the big pot simmer all day.  At night I turn it off and the next day I cook for another 4 hours or so.  I've done the bone roasting in the past and it does make the broth better, but lately I don't bother with it because I don't want to clean the baking sheet.  If I had parchment paper that would help with the cleanup. 

Last night I made a quick version of shrimp scampi.  Basically just sauteed shrimp in 50/50 butter and evoo with some garlic and parsley, salt & pepper, and it was divine! So Yummmy.  I ate it like an appetizer, by itself, but I bet it would be great with some steamed broccoli or kale to soak up the juices. 

I picked up some Lawry's garlic powder with parsley and I really like it for those times when you want just a quick fuss-free meal and less things to wash.  I used it with the shrimp and it was very tasty. 

I also discovered unsweetened almond milk for coffee.  I have a dairy allergy and don't like my coffee black so this is nice - I have to use more of it because it's not rich like heavy cream, but it's good.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

I do most of my cooking these days via a pressure cooker, which seems like the perfect instrument for making this stuff. When cooking up a chicken and various cuts of meat, just don't throw away the water, strip the meat, and cook the bones in it (with additional water depending on how many bones you have available). If you want to add salt, I've heard it's better to do this towards the end of the cook as it allows for more minerals to leech from the bones.
I routinely make broth in my Instant Pot. I actually happen to be making some right now.  Good stuff. 

I also made this turkey breast recipe today in there: https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/moist-and-tender-turkey-breast/

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »
I made keto bread for the first time today — game changer!

1 egg, 2tsp coconut flour, pinch salt, pinch baking soda. Whisk with a fork, pour into greased mug, microwave for 1 minute.

It’s perfect. You can toast it in a pan or eat as is. I used it as a hamburger bun and it worked great!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »
Tonight I am cooking a ribeye in cast iron with butter.  I'm feeling pretty happy with this diet so far.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2018, 07:47:42 AM »
@kbecks — that sounds excellent!

So I made BPC for the first time ever. It was decent, but I think I want to try some flavored sugar free syrups. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or should I just get used to it as-is?

I also wanted to share a quick recipe. One of my biggest “problems” with this diet is that everything always feels so salty and heavy and that’s not what I always want. So I set out to find a veggie dish that kind of cuts through the heavy meals while still being very keto friendly.

Dressed green beans: 1 package of green beans, washed and trimmed (and cut if you’d like); 1tbsp olive oil; 1tbsp white wine vinegar; 2tbsp freshly grated Parmesan; 1-2 cloves minced garlic; optional 1 tbsp minced shallot; salt and pepper.

Blanch/steam the green beans until bright green but still crunchy. Toss everything together (I use a plastic Tupperware and shakeshakeshake). Let rest a few minutes to let the flavors meld. Serve still warm. Makes great leftovers too since the flavors just marry more.

It’s bright and acidic and still has some fat but doesn’t feel greasy. I love this just to cut through the meat/cheese-heavy meals I eat regularly.

Does anyone else have dishes like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »
It’s bright and acidic and still has some fat but doesn’t feel greasy. I love this just to cut through the meat/cheese-heavy meals I eat regularly.

Does anyone else have dishes like that?

I like this one: https://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #221 on: February 18, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
I like this one: https://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage
Oh wow that looks great. Do you make the carrots too? I didn’t think they were keto-friendly (but I could be wrong, I haven’t looked into it too much!)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »
Oh wow that looks great. Do you make the carrots too? I didn’t think they were keto-friendly (but I could be wrong, I haven’t looked into it too much!)
I'd say it depends on what the rest of your day looks like.  You could omit them without losing much, or just do less.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2018, 08:53:54 AM »
@ketchup — thanks for the heads up!

This side dish is on tap for next weekend when we break out the grill again:

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54879/loaded-grilled-cauliflower-recipe/

I’ll try the braised cabbage later this week!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #224 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
If you’re okay with Splenda the Torani syrups are fine.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2018, 01:05:29 PM »
Saturday night Keto feast. Bollito Misto with Italian Salsa Verda and Salsa Rossa. There's chicken breast & leg, home made garlic sausage, short ribs, chuck, oxtail, and shanks.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »
My husband made fathead pizza today and it was amazing.  I am low on protein and high on calories though so I will try to figure out how to fix that.   I am feeling tired today.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »
My husband made fathead pizza today and it was amazing.  I am low on protein and high on calories though so I will try to figure out how to fix that.   I am feeling tired today.

I make my version of fathead pizza every week! Really good with pepperoni, rabbit sausage, or other meats on top :)

You can also make a good cheese cracker if you bake it without toppings, using a stronger cheese like sharp cheddar. But almond flour is still relatively high in carbs, so it’s not something to have daily :)

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2018, 09:37:51 PM »

1 egg, 2tsp coconut flour, pinch salt, pinch baking soda. Whisk with a fork, pour into greased mug, microwave for 1 minute.

It’s perfect. You can toast it in a pan or eat as is. I used it as a hamburger bun and it worked great!

I'm going to have to try this.  I tried portobello mushrooms to serve as buns and it was pretty good but @ $2 a head it's a bit pricey for me.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »

I'm going to have to try this.  I tried portobello mushrooms to serve as buns and it was pretty good but @ $2 a head it's a bit pricey for me.
It’s a little dense/spongey but is definitely a suitable replacement IMO. And it holds up well to handheld foods. I ate a whole burger without any breaking or crumbling so I was pretty impressed. I would recommend buttering and pan-toasting it for slightly improved texture, but overall it was a very quick and easy substitute. Plus, it’s helping me use up the coconut flour I bought a loooooong time ago so it might be even better with fresh.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
There’s a lot of variants of keto breads. I’ve seen recipes for bagels, 90 second bread, cloud bread, many seem to like something called soul bread best, but it’s the most expensive as it requires whey protein isolate.

The only “bready” thing I usually let myself have is a recipe I’ve developed for blueberry pancakes with cream cheese, eggs, and almond flour.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
That coconut flour bread sounds very interesting!  I've been staying away from alternative flours and paleo/keto versions of things like dessert/breads/pizza for fear of triggering cravings.  But I might try a bit and see how it goes. 

The last few days I've had a hard time getting in enough fat and my protein levels look high to me.  I've been aiming for fat/protein levels at 75/20, but lately they're more like 60's/30's.  I'm curious to see what others aim for.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
That coconut flour bread sounds very interesting!  I've been staying away from alternative flours and paleo/keto versions of things like dessert/breads/pizza for fear of triggering cravings.
Yeah... I just tore through a pint of Halo Top. Carbs totally blown. I definitely messed up today and learned that I can’t do sweets even if it’s “low carb”. So I totally understand that! I will say the bread substitute didn’t do anything like that for me though.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
I had to google Halo Top.  And ok, I see why you would eat the whole thing!  :)  On the bright side, a pint is only 20 carbs, so that's not too bad. 

Last night I had braised pork over steamed kale and it was so good.  And filling!  I was so satisfied that I didn't eat my jello with coconut milk dessert. 

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »

This is great!  I had forgotten a similar recipe we used to make: paleo blueberry muffin.  Same gist, but (optionally) with almond flour and fresh or frozen blueberries.  The texture is wonderful, but honestly it's 100x better with a sweetener (we used maple syrup).  Obviously that's not in the cards if you're trying to stay in keto, but for regular lower-carb/paleo diets it can be a great occasional treat.

But back to the keto bread idea.  You inspired me to try something I've been meaning to make for a while.  1 egg, 1tbsp coconut flour, 1 tbsp almond flour, pinch of baking powder, a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary leaves, and a bit of olive oil.  Toasted both sides in the bottom of a non-stick pan.  WOW, savory rosemary keto bread.  The texture was scone-like; you could dial up the egg (or dial down the flour) to make it a little more moist and less crumbly.  Delicious by itself or with sardines.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:17:51 PM by Bird In Hand »

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
Eating leftover laarb. This stuff gets better as leftovers and really hits major craving points. It's fantastic.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2018, 03:37:45 PM »
Update on my low carb diet - I started this journey January 21st.  I weighed 129 (down from 133 on Dec 28th - traditional CICO diet).  Today, I weigh 121.  My goal is 118 - but I'm not worried about hitting that number quickly.  I can't tell you how much easier this has been than anything else I've tried.  I am always full and I feel great!  I work in a medical facility so free lunches are everywhere.  I skip them and only eat what I bring from home.  I just remind myself that I don't eat that way anymore (Yes I actually say that to myself!).  I have had a few potato chips here and there but not most days.  I will increase my carbs soon to maintain but I will never go back to eating the way I used to.  BTW, I am 48 yrs old and really didn't think I'd ever see 121 again.  I love seeing all the success that everyone else has been having here - it's inspired me!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
Good morning everyone!

So glad to see that everyone is doing well and enjoying the keto/low-carb lifestyle.  I've been working out some food allergies and didn't want to bore y'all with the details.  Suffice it to say that my food list keeps shrinking!  :)  I keep reminding myself that this is just a minor annoyance.

I started a monthly weight loss challenge thread to help me work on my weight loss goals.  But I will still be posting here too.  As my food list shrinks, I'll need more inspiration to keep things interesting and delicious!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
Tomorrow will be my first big test... I’m going to be on the road all. day. long.

I’m leaving the house at around 930 am and won’t be home until around 930 pm. On the road all day except from 230 until 5 or so in a deposition, the rest will just be driving ~450 miles round trip.

I’ll have bulletproof coffee for breakfast, and some high fat snack (cheese? bacon? both?) before the deposition. I know I’m going to be very worn out afterward, so I need to formulate a plan for that time period to make sure I stick to my plan. It’s not so much that keto is difficult to stick to as it is I don’t want to spend $10 on a bunless burger on the road.

What satisfying, travel-friendly ideas do you guys have? I need to hit 1200 calories in my packed food. I’m thinking bacon, cheese, a small 90% chocolate square, pickles, some macadamia nuts, and something else although I don’t know what.

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »
TGIF! or well, not actually. Yeah it's friday, but I'm not even close to exhausted, just longing for the weekend. Instead I'm full of energy with a clear head. I can't believe the change really :)

I have been hovering around almost the exact same weight for the last three weeks now and kept on lifting in the gym. Result: changed body comp, same weight, very happy with that so far. This way of eating feels more and more like it is for life for me. To me that doesn't mean that I'll be in ketosis forever, just that I'll stay low carb, free from sugar, flour and similar most of the time.

I had three occasions of "cheating" on keto in the last month, twice with home cooked asian food with rice (and some chocolate after), and twice with kebabs, also with rice. I had some small reaction with water retention and increased hunger, I didn't enjoy the food or sweets as much as I used to and felt great again as soon as I had my regular low carb food again.

About travel-friendly: this is one of the bigger challenges. About a week ago I found myself stranded in the capital for six hours after a very long day of meetings, waiting for my train after having had all three previous trains cancelled... I took a walk around the station, fast food, cafes, 7-11 style places. Not much feeling like springing for a more serious meal in a steak house or so. I ended up finding a salad bar where you pick your own salad, so salmon, mozzarella, shrimp, spinach... but generally stations/airports are so bad for ketoers.

I like your ides for when you can plan somewhat in advance. My only other suggestion would be to remember that we are on keto! We can go for days without food and still feel great! :)

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2018, 08:41:03 AM »
I'm going to a potluck on Sunday afternoon, and am supposed to bring a light appetizer. Any good keto-friendly ideas that are also non-keto-crowd friendly?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
Tomorrow will be my first big test... I’m going to be on the road all. day. long.

I’m leaving the house at around 930 am and won’t be home until around 930 pm. On the road all day except from 230 until 5 or so in a deposition, the rest will just be driving ~450 miles round trip.

I’ll have bulletproof coffee for breakfast, and some high fat snack (cheese? bacon? both?) before the deposition. I know I’m going to be very worn out afterward, so I need to formulate a plan for that time period to make sure I stick to my plan. It’s not so much that keto is difficult to stick to as it is I don’t want to spend $10 on a bunless burger on the road.

What satisfying, travel-friendly ideas do you guys have? I need to hit 1200 calories in my packed food. I’m thinking bacon, cheese, a small 90% chocolate square, pickles, some macadamia nuts, and something else although I don’t know what.
Canned tuna!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2018, 10:09:53 AM »
I'm going to a potluck on Sunday afternoon, and am supposed to bring a light appetizer. Any good keto-friendly ideas that are also non-keto-crowd friendly?
Caprese skewers, buffalo chicken dip with celery, cheese tray, veggie tray? L can be homemade for savings.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
Welcome Candace!

I like lexde's ideas for the potluck.  Another good one might be grilled chicken skewers with your favorite marinade.  You can usually find chicken on sale.  Chicken thighs are especially tasty and usually cheaper than breast.  Or some drumsticks - those are cheap, tasty, and easy to eat.  I once did an antipasto platter and it was very good and very popular, but also very expensive. 

lexde - I don't have any good suggestions for travel food.  I would probably just spring for a good meal in a restaurant - some steak - and call it a good investment.  If you're traveling for business, can you expense the meals?

Last night I had a variation of this bistro chicken salad that was shared by one of our members here on a previous low-carb challenge.  It was so good.  I subbed artichokes marinated in olive instead for the carrots: https://autoimmunewellness.com/bistro-chicken-salad-garlic-thyme-vinaigrette/

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »
Last night I had a variation of this bistro chicken salad that was shared by one of our members here on a previous low-carb challenge.  It was so good.  I subbed artichokes marinated in olive instead for the carrots: https://autoimmunewellness.com/bistro-chicken-salad-garlic-thyme-vinaigrette/
!!

I make that literally about once a week, so good.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »
!!

Were you the one who shared this with me?  I think I remember now - you and your girlfriend are quite young, yet you have your act together and you always make wonderful home-cooked meals.  Is that right?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »
!!

Were you the one who shared this with me?  I think I remember now - you and your girlfriend are quite young, yet you have your act together and you always make wonderful home-cooked meals.  Is that right?
Probably, I shove that recipe at anyone that'll listen due to its excellence.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »
Caprese skewers, buffalo chicken dip with celery, cheese tray, veggie tray? L can be homemade for savings.

Ooo, caprese skewers. The chicken bistro salad sounds good too. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:56:07 PM by Candace »

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
Just got an analysis done at the gym.

31 years old, 6'2" tall, 360lbs and 48 percent body fat -- I definitely have plenty of fat!

Was at 400lbs a few months ago and lost the first 40 mostly by eating more veggies and switching to caffeine free diet soda.

The wife and I are going to Mexico 3/3-3/10 where I intend to pig out and not worry about diet, then we are both going to start Keto when we get back.

I did Keto for a bit about 10 years ago but I felt like shit all the time (didn't know about keto flu). Anyone have good homemade treatments / preventions for keto flu? I know if my wife starts feeling like crap she won't keep it up, and I don't like feeling shitty either.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »
Last night I made the bistro salad again and added sauteed kale to it.  So freakin good!  Today we'll be grilling some ribs and I'm prepping a pork shoulder to roast on Monday.  I stocked up on lots of broccoli too.  DH eats a ton of it -he's pretty active during the day and has a high metabolism, so he needs the energy.  It has been really nice having him do this with me, and not have all the bagels, cookies and fruit tempting me every day.