Author Topic: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge  (Read 95224 times)

Thegoblinchief

Re: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2018, 04:38:16 AM »
Burgers without a bun, or with a lettuce “bun” are probably the easiest thing for me. We only eat out when on vacation with my in-laws, and we tend to eat at mostly casual American restaurants that I can count on having burgers.

Another place I like is a BBQ restaurant that serves all their meat seasoned but without sauce (the sauces are on the table) so you can have fantastic smoked BBQ that’s sugar free. I usually just put some hot sauce or NC vinegar (pepper infused malt vinegar).

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2018, 04:41:00 AM »
Weighed in at 210.6. Lowest weight on keto, 5 pounds off my lowest adult weight ever which was when I ate tons of carbs but was biking thousands of miles a year. Have not weighed below 205 since the middle of high school. If I get into “onederland” that might even be grade school (I reached my full height by like 13 and have always been chubby).

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2018, 04:47:47 AM »
I have thought about jumping in the general weight loss thread but I don’t know if I could resist being a “ketovangelist”, lol, and diet flamewars aren’t productive.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2018, 07:52:14 AM »
Diet flamewars are like political flamewars, lol.

I have been holding steady at about 170 for the past six months on keto.  It's about 10 lbs below what was my "goal" weight, so I've got nothing to complain about.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2018, 08:03:57 AM »
Diet flamewars are like political flamewars, lol.

I have been holding steady at about 170 for the past six months on keto.  It's about 10 lbs below what was my "goal" weight, so I've got nothing to complain about.

Nice! Yeah I’m honestly taking a wild guess at my goal weight. Might end up lighter or heavier than that. The number isn’t really important to me, but would like to get down to, say, 15% body fat eventually.

I’ve been chubby my whole life and I know I have more lean mass than I did back the year I was 205 because I do more lifting via homestead chores than I was doing then (that was before I had animals to feed and water).

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
Just wanted to ask everyone about other health benefits of a low carb/Keto diet.  Ever since I started about two months ago I have not had a full blown case of the flu or cold.  This season was really bad in my town and my kids and wife had it recently.  I would normally also get it but not this season, knocking on wood.  I recently came back from a trip and only felt feverish right before bed but when I work up I was OK again.  Then I had flem and congestion in the morning for a day or two but no coughing, sneezing, aches or fever.  It seem like I definitely caught something but it didn't turn into a bad cold or flu.

I used to only get sick like once a year and would only be a day or so where I would feel tiered or achy, but then when the kids came it became more like 2-3 times a year and it would affect me for much longer like 3-4 days where I would need to take it easy.

How has everyone's immune system changed since going keto or low carb?

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
I have thought about jumping in the general weight loss thread but I don’t know if I could resist being a “ketovangelist”, lol, and diet flamewars aren’t productive.

Haha, I reeeally get that feeling. Doing my best to avoid ketovangelising, but I'm getting worried about too many holes in my tongue... after biting it too often :P.

It's really good to have some outlets for discussing. I am getting towards the end of the 30 day period that I decided to start with to feel things out and I really just want to keep going, the mental stability and energy is out of this world compared to before!

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2018, 11:04:21 AM »
Just wanted to ask everyone about other health benefits of a low carb/Keto diet.  Ever since I started about two months ago I have not had a full blown case of the flu or cold.  This season was really bad in my town and my kids and wife had it recently.  I would normally also get it but not this season, knocking on wood.  I recently came back from a trip and only felt feverish right before bed but when I work up I was OK again.  Then I had flem and congestion in the morning for a day or two but no coughing, sneezing, aches or fever.  It seem like I definitely caught something but it didn't turn into a bad cold or flu.

I used to only get sick like once a year and would only be a day or so where I would feel tiered or achy, but then when the kids came it became more like 2-3 times a year and it would affect me for much longer like 3-4 days where I would need to take it easy.

How has everyone's immune system changed since going keto or low carb?

Highly anecdotal, but a good friend and keto veteran had the exact same experience. I don't know of any scientific studies though.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »
Not having insulin spikes does reduce stress on the body.

I escaped the flu but my wife and kids all got it. I was also the only one taking elderberry tincture and drinking tea with echinacea in it, though, and both of those are proven antiviral/immune boosters.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
Weigh-in for the month of January.

1/5/18- Start weight: 205
2/3/18 - Current weight: 193.5

4 week loss = 11.5 lbs

Monthly Goal:  -6.5 lbs
Actual: -11.5 lbs

Diff: extra 5 lbs lost (this is probably all water loss, but I'll take it!)

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
Weigh-in for the month of January.

1/5/18- Start weight: 205
2/3/18 - Current weight: 193.5

4 week loss = 11.5 lbs

Monthly Goal:  -6.5 lbs
Actual: -11.5 lbs

Diff: extra 5 lbs lost (this is probably all water loss, but I'll take it!)

That's awesome! 

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2018, 06:11:34 AM »

What are some of your favorite low-carb restaurant dishes or meals?
Since I don't grill, I tend to order steak, salad and a vegetable when I go out.  If I go to the Hibachi place, I pick lots of vegetables and have them grill it with garlic sauce and then add yum yum sauce.  Then there's Outback, I order the Alice Springs chicken a lot and just don't use the honey mustard sauce.  I order their wings and take them home for snacking.  I used to order their lamb chops with the Cabernet sauce but they took it off their menu.

Congrats on the weight loss.  As I understand it the first week or two of the diet eliminates the glycogen form the blood and muscles.  The body stores ~3 grams of water for every gram of glycogen.  But after you've eliminated that, you start burning fat.  The body only stores 1 gram of water for every gram of fat stored.  That's why folks think the first 10 lbs is water weight, because it mostly is.  For me, the sugar detox is the most important thing and will usually do Atkins induction two noncontinuous months each year for the detox.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2018, 06:41:57 AM »

Since I don't grill, I tend to order steak, salad and a vegetable when I go out.  If I go to the Hibachi place, I pick lots of vegetables and have them grill it with garlic sauce and then add yum yum sauce.  Then there's Outback, I order the Alice Springs chicken a lot and just don't use the honey mustard sauce.  I order their wings and take them home for snacking.  I used to order their lamb chops with the Cabernet sauce but they took it off their menu.

Congrats on the weight loss.  As I understand it the first week or two of the diet eliminates the glycogen form the blood and muscles.  The body stores ~3 grams of water for every gram of glycogen.  But after you've eliminated that, you start burning fat.  The body only stores 1 gram of water for every gram of fat stored.  That's why folks think the first 10 lbs is water weight, because it mostly is.  For me, the sugar detox is the most important thing and will usually do Atkins induction two noncontinuous months each year for the detox.

Why don’t you grill? Grilling is my favorite way to cook.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2018, 12:22:58 PM »

I escaped the flu but my wife and kids all got it. I was also the only one taking elderberry tincture and drinking tea with echinacea in it, though, and both of those are proven antiviral/immune boosters.

I'm going to have to look those two things up.  I'm getting bored with my lemon juice and water, thanks for the tip.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »

I'm going to have to look those two things up.  I'm getting bored with my lemon juice and water, thanks for the tip.

I grow my own elderberries but they’re not too expensive online. Will also be growing more echinacea next year but mainly for my rabbits as I don’t have the time right now to figure out tea blends

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »
It's been a few days since I've posted and they've been tough ones.  I suspect the fasting I tried last month messed up my hormonal balance because I've had a terrible time with cravings and tiredness.  Really bad.  Worse than I've had in a long time. I finally just said, f*ck it, and gave in to my cravings.  And even though I've been gaining pounds by the day, at least I feel like a normal human again.  I'm eating lots of good protein and fat along with my refined carbs so that my body is still getting some good nutrition. 

I just received my 1972 copy of the Atkins diet and I'm learning so much about the science behind carbohydrates and how they affect our whole body.  Knowing what the carbs are doing to my system is keeping me determined to get right back on the horse after my cycle.  I've also started supplementing with a multi-vitamin and B-12, since I read that processing refined carbs and sugar deplete our stores of vitamin B. 

Something sobering that I read is that for those of us who are carb-sensitive, this really does need to be a way of life.  Permanently.  We can't lose the weight and then just abandon the diet and "eat like normal people" who are not carb-sensitive.  Knowing that this needs to be a permanent way of life is helping me be more calm and realistic about the process.  I'm accepting the fact that it will probably take a few months to really create this new system and way of life.  Especially given the hormonal roller coaster that comes around every month.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2018, 05:53:46 AM »

I admit it - I'm a very grown woman afraid of fire (not FIRE)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2018, 06:58:12 AM »

I admit it - I'm a very grown woman afraid of fire (not FIRE)

Ah, well phobias are hard to work around. Gas grills are a lot like a typical stovetop, though you get less of a flavor boost IMO. Charcoal or wood fires are best and very safe to work with if you know what you’re doing. But do what works for you :)

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2018, 11:42:42 AM »
My wife went to a work sponsored health checkup today. The standard stuff, basic blood works, body measurements, cardio test and so on. Nothing out of the ordinary... until they came to the recommendations for healthy living. The folder they sent is basically telling this:
-make real food from basic ingredienses, don't eat ready made foods
-avoid all industrially made pastries/cookies/cakes
-don't eat bread, if you cannot resist eat rye breads
-avoid wheat and added sugar as much as possible
-fry your food in fats such as coconut oil and butter
-use cold pressed oils for sallads
-eat vegetables and fruit, best is vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, peas, lenses, beans and berries
-eat fatty fish
-avoid fatty meats and charkuteries

I was very pleasantly surprised! I don't necessarily agree with all of what they are saying, but most of it is miles ahead of any food pyramid suggestions :)

Could it be that things are changing?

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2018, 03:59:22 PM »
My wife went to a work sponsored health checkup today. The standard stuff, basic blood works, body measurements, cardio test and so on. Nothing out of the ordinary... until they came to the recommendations for healthy living. The folder they sent is basically telling this:
-make real food from basic ingredienses, don't eat ready made foods
-avoid all industrially made pastries/cookies/cakes
-don't eat bread, if you cannot resist eat rye breads
-avoid wheat and added sugar as much as possible
-fry your food in fats such as coconut oil and butter
-use cold pressed oils for sallads
-eat vegetables and fruit, best is vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, peas, lenses, beans and berries
-eat fatty fish
-avoid fatty meats and charkuteries

I was very pleasantly surprised! I don't necessarily agree with all of what they are saying, but most of it is miles ahead of any food pyramid suggestions :)

Could it be that things are changing?

I agree that is miles ahead of what the USDA dietary guidelines*, maybe things are changing.

@northener80 May I ask what don't you agree with the recommendations your wife was given?

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/resources/2015-2020_Dietary_Guidelines.pdf

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
I'd like to join this. I haven't read the entire thread yet.

I've been doing this for 2 weeks now:

Morning: BulletProof Coffee
Lunch: 1 lb Chicken Breast + lots of veggies

I drink protein shakes in the after noon. I plan on switching up the meat to something else.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2018, 11:45:33 AM »
Hi @caffeine - welcome!

Dh has agreed to try this with me and today I'm going to spend some time getting rid of the carby stuff we have in the house. 

One of dh's favorites is those thick cut boneless pork chops and I want to make them for him next week but every time I try it they come out dry and leathery.  Can you guys help me out?  What's the trick to cooking them?  I got a meat thermometer to help too.  What temp do y'all use for pork?  I think I'm afraid of having them raw and that's why they're always dry.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »
Hi @caffeine - welcome!

Dh has agreed to try this with me and today I'm going to spend some time getting rid of the carby stuff we have in the house. 

One of dh's favorites is those thick cut boneless pork chops and I want to make them for him next week but every time I try it they come out dry and leathery.  Can you guys help me out?  What's the trick to cooking them?  I got a meat thermometer to help too.  What temp do y'all use for pork?  I think I'm afraid of having them raw and that's why they're always dry.

How are you trying to cook them? I like to grill, but you can do them inside as well. Two basic methods: either you sear first (direct heat on a grill, in skillet on medium to medium high inside) and then bring up to temperature in lower heat (indirect heat or in an oven set at 375ish) or you bring up to near final temperature (15 degrees or so) and then sear to finish. The second method is called the “reverse sear”, a lot of people seem to like it, I’ve only experimented a little bit with it myself.

Pork these days is considered safe at 145, some pink is totally fine. It’s more like beef than chicken in that regard.

Resting the meat 5-10 minutes after reaching temperature before slicing also helps the meat be juicier.

Finally, a bone-in chop will ALWAYS be juicier than boneless. I vastly prefer working with bone-in cuts.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »
Broiler.  Season, flip, done.  Don't leave them in too long. 

I actually prefer the "pork steaks," slightly cheaper and a higher fat content.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2018, 10:34:02 AM »
Hi @caffeine - welcome!

How are you trying to cook them? I like to grill, but you can do them inside as well. Two basic methods: either you sear first (direct heat on a grill, in skillet on medium to medium high inside) and then bring up to temperature in lower heat (indirect heat or in an oven set at 375ish) or you bring up to near final temperature (15 degrees or so) and then sear to finish. The second method is called the “reverse sear”, a lot of people seem to like it, I’ve only experimented a little bit with it myself.

Pork these days is considered safe at 145, some pink is totally fine. It’s more like beef than chicken in that regard.

Resting the meat 5-10 minutes after reaching temperature before slicing also helps the meat be juicier.

Finally, a bone-in chop will ALWAYS be juicier than boneless. I vastly prefer working with bone-in cuts.

Reverse sear for us. Season well with salt and pepper. Heat oven to 250, cook until ~130° internally. Finish in a VERY hot cast iron skillet. The slow cook to start gives you an even level of doneness, the sear at the end will bring up the internal temp and develop a nice crust.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies!  Now I have several ways to try out.  Right now our weather is insane - 75 and sunny - so I'll be grilling for sure.  When it gets colder I'll try out the stove top and oven methods.

I picked up some pork boneless ribs to practice on because they are easier to cook - thinner and more fatty.  I too prefer bone-in meat, but I buy all my meat at Costco and most everything they sell is boneless. 

My favorite grilled pork is the Vietnamese style with the sweet marinade sauce served over a green salad. I wonder if adding a couple of tbs of sugar into the marinade messes up the ketosis.  I love how the sugar caramelizes and give it that delicious crunchy sticky glaze.  This is what the dish looks like: http://www.simplecomfortfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/vietnamese-pork-noodle-recipe.jpg

I was looking around and found what looks like a very good, and very simple, recipe for Vietnamese pork chops - looks like it would make very good leftovers too:
https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/04/vietnamese-restaurantstyle-grilled-lemongrass-pork-thit-heo-nuong-xa.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:03:35 PM by jane x »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2018, 02:48:01 PM »
I would describe ribs (I’m thinking what’s normally called spareribs) as easier to cook at all. There’s so much connective tissue that you have to cook them very low and slow. And I forgot you want them to be falling apart tender you have to bring the internal temp all the way to 190 or so for all of the collagen to dissolve, etc. That’s why recipes for ribs take many, many hours.

There is, however, a cut called country style ribs (actually from the end of the loin) that cooks differently. 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »
You're right - I bought the country style ribs that cook quickly.  I tried the Vietnamese marinade and grilled them just like steak and they were awesome. 

Well, today was my weekly weigh in and I've gained almost 5 lbs in one week during my cycle.  I've been on-plan for probably 80% of the time.  Now I'll see how long it takes for this water retention to take its leave.  No wonder men have an advantage in weight loss!  I've been doing some reading and for many of us ladies, we gain weight for 2 weeks of the month due to hormones.  That's 50% of the time!  I'm trying to stay chill and just accept the reality without getting all upset about it. 

This weekend I'll still eat nuts and a few other things because my appetite has been pretty big this last week.  On Monday, Dh and I will start a one week Induction phase.  My dairy allergy has been flaring up with the use of heavy cream in my coffee and whipped cream on my jello so that has to go.  I'm trying out coconut cream this weekend as a replacement.

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2018, 10:32:55 PM »
Yay so happy to see a MMM thread on LCHF/Keto - count me in!!

I've been LCHF for about a year. I was borderline diabetic, NAFLD, etc all the things (100% due to my main food group being sugar for ~15 years, I wish I were joking). Long story short I am now off all my medications, blood sugar and liver and everything else is normal/healthy, and I feel amazing.

Also as a bonus Keto has helped my Mustachianism in many ways - I no longer spend money on junk food, ice cream runs, etc food that just made me unhealthier and still hungry. I don't pay as much for medications and healthcare. My newfound mental clarity has contributed to my stellar performance at work which has resulted in a promotion and a higher salary. Life is good!

As the 2 Keto Dudes say - keep calm and Keto on!!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2018, 04:57:08 AM »
I did keto for several months in 2017 with good results but found that my grocery bill nearly doubled with all of the meat I was eating.

How do you stay mustachian/frugal and Keto? I get everything at Costco except for a few odds and ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2018, 05:26:59 AM »

I've been LCHF for about a year. I was borderline diabetic, NAFLD, etc all the things (100% due to my main food group being sugar for ~15 years, I wish I were joking). Long story short I am now off all my medications, blood sugar and liver and everything else is normal/healthy, and I feel amazing.

Also as a bonus Keto has helped my Mustachianism in many ways - I no longer spend money on junk food, ice cream runs, etc food that just made me unhealthier and still hungry. I don't pay as much for medications and healthcare. My newfound mental clarity has contributed to my stellar performance at work which has resulted in a promotion and a higher salary. Life is good!

That’s awesome! My strong family history of diabetes on both sides is a motivating factor for me sticking with it.

I did keto for several months in 2017 with good results but found that my grocery bill nearly doubled with all of the meat I was eating.

How do you stay mustachian/frugal and Keto? I get everything at Costco except for a few odds and ends.

I accept that the increased food bill is worth it. Historically, the percentage of income people spend on food these days is very, very low. I think it’s worth spending more if it boosts health and in my case I value supporting good agricultural practices, though budget limitation means I can’t be ideologically pure on this point. We spend 30% of our monthly budget on food, $1,050/month for family of 5 in a mid COL area that is probably 4 to 4.5 adult equivalents in terms of how much the kids eat. To eat the same foods but 100% ideologically pure for myself would mean 40% or possibly slightly more of our budget on food and we can’t justify that.

With growing kids, mine was already going up considerably as my oldest two are hitting the tweens and frequently eat more than I do in a single day. Event my 8 year old son who’s in the 20th growth percentile can really pack it away some days. Also, even before going keto the rest of my family (who isn’t keto) felt healthier when we had more meat in our diet versus the more typical Mustachian protein base of beans, lentils, etc so our food bill hasn’t gone up much further with me being keto. 

We save a small amount raising our own eggs (versus ethically sourced eggs of comparable quality). The rabbit meat does not save money but may save a bit in a couple years as my costs amortize and I get better at it. The garden saves some money, but I do it more for the fun of it and the quality boost.

I buy whole pigs butchered out which does save a decent amount for the quality of the meat. Around here you get pork for $1.79-$2.50/lb hanging weight, which means you’re getting every single cut for about $3/lb net. We’re saving up to buy half a beef from a friend of mine that does 100% grass finished beef at a net cost of around $6ish a pound. Another farmer friend does fantastic chicken and turkey for $2.25/lb.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2018, 10:40:04 AM »

Hi kissthesky - welcome!  Congratulations on being able to get off of the medications.  That's awesome.  Looking forward to having another buddy here to chat with. 

Hi lexde - welcome!  Last week I convinced dh to try this with me and I did see our bill jump up a LOT.  This past month I was eating lots of eggs and chicken but last week I bought beef and pork and wow.  But I figure the investment is well worth it.  I've asked myself, "How much is my body worth to me?"  And I realized, it's worth a lot.

Cutting out all the junk and processed food does help too.  But in the end, it's an investment.  You are so young!  28 is a baby, so your body is wonderful right now, no matter what.  I'm older and the mistakes I've made over the years have really taken a toll on my body, so it's perhaps easier for me to look at the cost in a positive light.  Can you afford it?  If so, then it's just a mental block because we're used to cheap food. 

-----------
Ok guys and gals......... tomorrow dh and I are starting a week of the '72 version of Atkins induction.  That means daily carbs are limited to 2 cups of salad, olives, and almond milk for my coffee.  Hard cheese is allowed, 4 oz per day, but I have a dairy allergy so no can do on that.  Dh and I tried it a few days last week and it was actually very luxurious.  We ate delicious steak with a small salad and it was perfect.  We also had grilled pork.  Dessert was sugar-free jello and it was just enough to provide that sweet taste at the end of a good meal.   

I do hope to lose weight, but I'm more interested in making this a long-term commitment.  I figure it will take a few months to really nail down the plan that is best for me and that I can maintain for the rest of my life.  I tried the fasting last month, and though it was easy, I don't think it's compatible with my body chemistry as a permanent solution. 

Is anyone interested in joining in for a week of focus, whatever your particular eating plan is? 

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:42:16 AM by jane x »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »
I’m in for a focused week.

I’ll be doing 16:8 intermittent fasting this week and going low carb / keto. Skipping breakfast is easier with work and if I eat at 12:30 and 6:30 I’m well within that window.

I’ve needed to reset my intake so I think this week will be a good opportunity to do so!

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2018, 09:49:38 PM »
I'm in for a focus week as well.

I'm trying to meet my daily macros to gain lean mass.  I have a hard time eating my target calories since going keto/low carb.  I literally just started having spoonfuls of coconut oil just to hit my targets.  I was weird at first but not as bad as thought it would be.  I still need to look up some keto bomb recipes.  The goal is to hit my macro targets and hopefully gain more lean mass vs fat.

My grocery bills have definitely gone up since going keto/low carb, but it was mostly due to buying higher quality meats and dairy.  I now get organic, free range, no antibiotics, on mostly everything.  The good new is my spending on sweets and junk food has gone down to zero and my restaurant spending is down because I can't really have much of what is served because I know they load it up with sugar.  As Jane X said I consider it an investment in my health, and if I have to work a little longer for a better quality of life so be it.

On a side note, I got a DXA scan this weekend.  It's supposed to be very accurate at measuring your body composition of fat, bone, and lean tissue.  I have a scale that measures body fat % and the reading on it vs the DXA scan was 40% off.  I thought I had a few more lbs of fat to loose but after the DXA, my goal is to keep fat level and increase lean mass.  For $45 I felt it was worth it to help having a baseline and start working on my goals.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2018, 04:18:27 AM »
Where do you go to get one of those scans?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2018, 04:35:16 AM »
I’ve always been interested in getting a DEXA scan but never did. I’m going to look into it again as a “before” metric, especially if they’re only $45 now!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »
So I am looking for some keto inspiration. What are you guys cooking?

Last night, my boyfriend made German Rouladen with red cabbage and dumplings. I passed on the dumplings and had a very small portion of the red cabbage, but rouladen is an interesting food if you’re trying to mix things up!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25194/german-rouladen/

Today I had pepperoni slices and Colby cheese for lunch and then leftover rouladen for dinner. Then a cup of chicken broth since I was feeling a bit lightheaded. I wasn’t quite within my 16:8 window today because I am on day 1 of full keto and haven’t adapted at all so fasting was tough and I had a lot of driving to do. And I ended up leaving the office around 7pm, so I ate both a little too soon and a little too late. Oops!

If I wake up in time tomorrow I’ll make loaded chicken salad (chicken, bacon, cheddar, green onion, mayo, sour cream, salt and pepper - like a baked potato) for lunch, otherwise I may try to just fast through it.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2018, 11:57:03 PM »
Where do you go to get one of those scans?

I did a Google search for "DEXA scan [location]" in my city and got a few hits.  The one that looked most convenient and affordable was from https://www.bodyspec.com/.  They have mobile scanning vans.

There were a few others that were more comprehensive meaning expensive.

EDIT: spelling

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »
Good morning everyone!  How's the focus week going?

lexde - that rouladen looks very tasty!  I bet it would make a great snack too.  And that loaded chicken salad sounds fantastic.  I like all the different flavor combinations that you put together.  An adventure for the palate.  :)

My meals are quite basic and boring so I doubt they'll provide any inspiration. 

Brunch - ham and eggs
Snack - 2 deviled eggs, a few slices of salame
Dinner - grilled pork, green salad
Dessert - jello smothered in coconut milk

I'm trying out Cronometer for logging this week and quite like it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:55:53 AM by jane x »

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
Update: First I will admit we were not weighing food and keeping track like we should have. That said, DH is still pursuing keto/very low carb but I think I ended up with an electrolyte imbalance as my heart rate was about 80 resting and almost 120 doing anything, and I had muscle weakness. And the other keto flu symtoms. I was too sick to try and figure out what I needed to change so I stopped. Now avoiding sugar and processed foords but not keto - I'll update if DH keeps going. :)

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
Posting to follow. I've been experimenting with Low Carb / Keto over the last several weeks. I've yet to figure out the most cost effective approach for doing this, but good results so far.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »
Update: First I will admit we were not weighing food and keeping track like we should have. That said, DH is still pursuing keto/very low carb but I think I ended up with an electrolyte imbalance as my heart rate was about 80 resting and almost 120 doing anything, and I had muscle weakness. And the other keto flu symtoms. I was too sick to try and figure out what I needed to change so I stopped. Now avoiding sugar and processed foords but not keto - I'll update if DH keeps going. :)
If that happens, a cup of broth will usually bring everything back together quickly. I also add salt substitute to my broth for added potassium and go from verge-of-death with headache, muscle ache, and runny nose to totally fine in about 10 minutes. Human bodies are weird.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas for goat butter?

I bought some a few weeks ago and it was absolutely heavenly on freshly baked bread. It’s smooth and creamy, but has that delicious tang of goat cheese/milk. I don’t think it would be as good on eggs or steak, certainly not in coffee, so I’m looking for ideas on what to use it with that isn’t just carbs.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2018, 01:42:55 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas for goat butter?

I bought some a few weeks ago and it was absolutely heavenly on freshly baked bread. It’s smooth and creamy, but has that delicious tang of goat cheese/milk. I don’t think it would be as good on eggs or steak, certainly not in coffee, so I’m looking for ideas on what to use it with that isn’t just carbs.

I make keto pancakes when I’m craving butter. Almond based, so still a decent number of carbs. There’s also keto bagel recipes out there, some keto folks I know love things like soul bread (based on whey protein), cloud bread, or 90 second bread. I haven’t tried any of those myself.

Some folks just eat straight butter, or butter on some sausage.

This is the best starting point for learning about electrolytes: https://ketogains.com/2017/06/keto-flu-electrolyte-imbalances/

I personally mix 4 parts salt substitute with 3 parts fine grain sea salt and add 1/4 tsp of that mix to almost every glass of water, coffee, and some teas I drink. I don’t measure what I go through in a day as by now it’s usually clear from my heart rate and how I’m feeling whether I’m short on electrolytes. It’s probably close to 2 full tsp of that mix, maybe even more. I was doing 400mg of magnesium but I’m much better now at 800 and may need to go up to 1000.

If potassium chloride tastes too weird to you some folks like potassium citrate.

A few folks I know also have to supplement calcium but that seems relatively rare.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »
Good luck everybody.  I am embarking on a 3 day fast starting tonight.  We will see how it goes.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2018, 01:21:52 AM »
Focus week fail.  Came home and prepared my meal, my wife made fried tilapia which I grabbed and started eating.  In the middle of it I noticed that it was a bit crunchy on the sides and realized she likes to coat it in flour as batter.  I scrapped the remaining batter off and finished it off.  It wasn't such a big deal of having the flour per se, I eat whole wheat slice with banana and peanut butter as a pre-workout meal, but me just forgetting to check what I was eating.

Just a PSA to everyone, those carbs are everywhere!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Keto & Low-Carb Challenge
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »
Yesterday I had some macadamia nuts, “loaded” chicken salad, and chicken Bryan (goat cheese, basil, tiny bit of sundries tomatoes) with broccoli.

Today I’m feeling really hungry and I think it’s because I didn’t get enough fat yesterday. Had more chicken salad, some mozzarella, and some almonds. Dinner tonight will be steak and creamed spinach.

I really need to make some lemon fat bombs (and maybe peppermint chocolate, too). I found that I did much better on keto when I had a serving in the morning and again right before bed as a dessert. I haven’t been to the store to pick everything up but once I do I’ll whip up a batch!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:26:34 AM by lexde »

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
The focus is going well.  The water weight is starting to come off and I'm down 2 lbs from Monday.  Per the good Dr. Atkins, I've been eating as much fat and protein as I need to feel satisfied.  And it's a lot!  I've been over 2200 calories the past two days.  He says don't worry about anything except carbs right now, so, okay.  I've been very low-carb.  :)

I've also started taking a multi-vitamin and some B-12.  Do you guys take supplements?  Cronometer gives a nice vitamin and mineral chart and I notice that every day I've been deficient in calcium and potassium, even with the multi-vitamin. 

Yesterday's meals:
breakfast - coffee with coconut milk & splenda; eggs with seasoned ground beef
lunch - salad, deviled eggs, olives, salame
dinner - grilled pork chops, salad
dessert - jello with coconut milk

@mxt0133 - I think a fail would be if you saw the breading and kept on eating it.  Or if you never even noticed it had breading on it!

@lexde - please share your fat bomb recipes when you make them!  I notice that when I eat mostly chicken for my protein, it doesn't keep me full or energetic.  I hope you feel better after your juicy steak.  :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »
I add sodium and potassium via food and mixing in with coffee, water, and other drinks.

I also supplement magnesium and vitamin D. Magnesium I was at the often recommended 400mg for keto folks but have been slowly pushing it higher on the advice of my chiro. Vitamin D I’m supplementing based on the levels on my last blood work.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »
I add sodium and potassium via food and mixing in with coffee, water, and other drinks.

I also supplement magnesium and vitamin D. Magnesium I was at the often recommended 400mg for keto folks but have been slowly pushing it higher on the advice of my chiro. Vitamin D I’m supplementing based on the levels on my last blood work.

What do you use for potassium?  Is it a specific product? 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!