Author Topic: June no-spend days  (Read 6650 times)

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
June no-spend days
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
Hi there folks,

So one of the ways I try to rein in my spending is by observing 'no-spend' days a few times each week... These are days when I try to avoid letting go of a single cent... Obviously, it's not much good going spend-free for half the week, if you're going to splurge on other days, but I've found it's a good way to save money and also to develop an ethos of frugality the rest of the time... In may I was aiming for 12 no-spend days, but in the end I only made it to 9. I'm setting my sights on 12 once again in June, so let's see if I can hit that target this time! If anyone else wants to see how many no-spend days they can rack up, join me here!

Hugs,
Lucas

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
Re: June no-spend days
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:45:16 AM »
I probably average 15-20 no spend days during the months. Not because I'm bad ass or anything but because I plan all my grocery shopping on Saturday's. Make sure I get enough for the whole week and avoid any wasteful trips. Sometimes I miss something so that's why I don't always hit it. Of course it's probably easier that I only have to provide for myself though!

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 07:49:48 AM »

I like the idea.  I haven't ever counted my days of no spending by month.  I generally do this on a day to day basis and it helps me avoid buying things I don't need.  I might try to count this month.

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »
Hi there mustachian friends,

Well I dont think I've ever managed 20 no-spend days in a single month, though hopefully I'll get there...today will be my first no-spend day for june (presuming I don't freak out on the way home from work - though I think that's unlikely!)...

I hope you guys are having a happy , frugal monday...

Hugs,
Lucas

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
I find periodic "no spend" times really help reboot minor lifestyle creep. I'm a big fan of 'em.

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »
Hi there mustachian friends,

Three days into June, and I've clocked up two no-spend days... now if I can just keep this up for the next 27 days... hmmmmmmm....

Hugs,
Lucas

Mrs.FamilyFinances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »
It's the 3rd, and we've had 2 no spend days. Monday however was a SPEND!! day, with $20 for eye brow wax, $20 for mexican lunch with hubby, and $56 in car tabs, plus $40 in gas in my car for the month. Cheers to at least 20 more no spend days!

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:34 AM »
I was thinking about getting a haircut today then remembered this thread! I'll not get a haircut and keep growing the hair out some more! haha I like this no spend day challenge as it is actually keeping me accountable.

This month will be harder to hit my 15-20 days as I'm going on 2 weekend trips and will need to account for gas spending on the occasional Friday.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »
I've been trying to do a "no spend" month for June.  Other than gas and groceries this month I plan to make no other purchases.  No shopping.  At. All.  I should be able to put in 15-20 no spend days easily with this logic.  So far I have not spent any money in June, but will shop for groceries tonight so 3 days so far for me.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »
Thank you for starting this thread. I have been inspired. I created a spreadsheet for 2014. I will enter a date on a new row for each no spend day I have. I have one, and after today it shall be two!

Since the gf and I have a joint account we put money into and I go to the grocery store almost daily to buy what we need for the day (instead of buying to much and it going to waste; a lot of our food is fresh produce) I will be counting those as long as it was a planned item for dinner that night or lunch tomorrow. If I get something impulse, won't be counting it as a no spend day. The tracking will primarily be my own personal finances first.

This will be interesting to track and motivating to spend less.

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 07:39:42 AM »
Howdy fellow mustachians,

Yesterday was my third no-spend day for June... Today I have a dinner date, but I may cancel as the weather is atrocious and, well, I'm not all that enthusiastic about the date anyway...

For those of you in New York.... why do we live here?? The weather is awful most of the time!

June no spend-days (so far): 3

Hugs,
Lucas

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
Howdy folks,

Weekends are always the challenge for me, spending-wise... maybe I'm just too social, but I like to get out and see people and do things at the weekend, and that invariably involves parting with some hard-earned cash... I should have returned to frugality today, but the rain tested my 'no-spending' resolve and I caved in a bought an umbrella... that means, between one thing and another, I have spent money the past five days consecutively.... tomorrow will be a no-spend day, come hell or high water!

Hugs,
Lucas

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »
Only four no-spend days so far, but I'm interested to see if counting my no-spend days helps to motivate me to spend less or not :-)

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
Hi there happierathome,

Today was only my fourth no-spend day too. I think the real benefit of the no-spend day 'thing' is that it helps with cultivating an ethos of frugality... living and working in a big city, where I have to move around and take meetings here and there, it can be difficult at times to avoid any expenditure... so long as I keep at it, it helps me rein in the permissiveness I used to have around spending... I'm certainly much less inclined to buy lunch in or keep picking up take-out coffee... some days I find something comes up, and I have to part with a few bucks, but the key is to keep the ethos going and aim for as many no-spend days as possible each month... If I lived and worked on a farm somewhere, it would of course be a different story and committing to X number of no-spend days each month might not make any difference to my monthly balance sheet...

anyhoo... I hope all is well with you!

No-spend days for June (so far): Four

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »
I really want today to be a no-spend day.

But we're out of milk.

Can I go a day without milk? Yes, absolutely. Is my partner willing to go a day without milk? Absolutely not!!

So today I will spend approximately $1.

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »
Hi there happierathome,

In my book, only spending $1 still qualifies as a no-spend day... I've known people who are into voluntary simplicity who do the 'no-spend day' thing, but allow a caveat for unforeseen 'grocery emergencies' like that... so it's really a 'no discretionary spending day... anyway, good for you! Keep up the good work!

Today was another no-spend day for me, I'm happy to say... so that's five so far... I should be able to make it six tomorrow, but I'm travelling on friday is sure to involve some expense

No spend days for June so far: 5

Hope you're all having a fine frugal day!
Lucas

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »
Howdy folks,

I'm glad to say today was another no-spend day for me... woohoo! That's six so far this month... the next couple of days I'm the road, so a few dollars here and there is inevitable... the key thing is to keep it tight and frugal...

No spend days in June so far: 6

All the best,
Lucas

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
Herro!!

So yesterday was another no-spend day for me... that makes 7 so far in June... I'm on course to make today number 8.... woohoo!

Hugs,
Lucas

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 09:02:47 AM »
So I blew it yesterday... Had to pick up a few groceries, and I was feeling a little grouchy after a stressful day in work, so I jsut went 'f**k it' and bought several items I didnt even need... not a big blowout by any means, but not a no-spend day either...

Today I have a dinner date, so money will be spent...

No-spend days so far in June: 8

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 07:17:58 PM »
So I clocked up another no-spend day today... that's nine so far in June... going for number 10 maņana!

No-spend days so far in June: 9

Hugs,
Lucas

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
I've made it to ten! Probably not very impressive, but I'm happy.

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »
Hi there happierathome!

Ten days is no small thing! Clocking up no-spend days may be easy enough for people who work from home, or live in rural areas maybe, but if you work and life mean navigating a big city every day, it gets tricky and requires some planning...

Yesterday was no-spend day number 10 for me - aiming to make it 11 today!

All the best,
Lucas

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Howdy frugal friends!

Well, it's easy to rack up a few no-spend days when you're in a rural retreat with no access to stores or shops... no spending done for me on friday or saturday... grocery needs crept in sunday and today though... meaning my total for June will be 12 no-spend days... gonna try to improve on that in July!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »
I made it to 12 too... it's an interesting thing to track through the month :-)