Author Topic: June Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 23949 times)

jordanread

June Cycling Challenge 2015
« on: June 02, 2015, 12:16:59 PM »
The cycling challenge for June 2015 is up and ready for you!!

If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.

You can access the sheet at this link.

I've made some behind the scenes changes (which is why I'm so late with this Gauntlet) due to some reported issues on miscellaneous devices. I can also manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.

Happy Cycling!!

timkrik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: June Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
Thanks for setting up the monthly spreadsheet jordanread!

jordanread

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »
Thanks for setting up the monthly spreadsheet jordanread!

Not a problem. Sorry I was late this month. It won't happen again.

Nancy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
Thanks, Jordanread! You rock.

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
I am signing up!

I rode 14 miles in the rain this morning to avoid a $.50 library late fee.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »
Thanks! Jordanread, much appreciated :)

It was bike to school day in my hometown today - I passed a parade of youngsters going the other way, must've been 40+ kids and parents on every type of bike imaginable! Hopefully some keep at it!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 06:44:24 PM »
Off to a fine start with some great riding weather today!

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:30:13 PM »
 Started the month off with a very soggy ride in, both on the way in to work and the way home.  It rained pretty hard on the way home and I was a bit muddy when I got home, but still happy I did the ride.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 07:04:44 AM »
Happy cycling everybody! Hopefully I can get a decent training schedule in this month, and hoping I can get my middle daughter back to being more comfortable on the bike after her crash last month, but that's a work in progress.

crapula

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 07:06:33 AM »
Thanks once again, Jordan!

Stay safe out there, everyone!

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 07:20:57 AM »
I almost caved and rode my motorcycle in but I grabbed the bike instead. Some days it's tough to not ride the Harley in but it's only two miles I tell myself.

jordanread

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »
We already have 515 miles. Way to go everyone. I'm working on some script consistencies, since SateFeSteve has been my test subject (no big deal...just doing the coding I love...although he is rocking it!!!). Those script inconsistencies might cause an issue while I'm working on it. I'll post here when I'm done. In the meantime, if you are looking to join, remember your miles, and just wait until I post here saying I'm done.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »
Proud of my oldest. Together she and I (youngest two were in the trailer) biked into downtown to do a free museum day, then took the scenic route back out. 18 miles total!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 08:04:31 AM »
I biked to work every day this week! Even on Wednesday with it's pouring rain. I had a rain poncho that didn't keep much dry except my backpack, chest and shoulders. Any tips on how to keep dry biking in the rain?

Also, my name isn't up on the June spreadsheet yet. I just added it on the previous one during the last few days of May.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
I've just joined the challenge. I'm a pretty beginner cyclist but getting more comfortable with it. I'm loving my new strategy to get around my chronic lateness in the morning that stops me riding into work. On the day i take DD to school, I have to be late to work no matter what I do (drop off is after work start time) but that means I can take the bike on the train. So take bike in on Tuesday, ride home on Thursday. As I get faster with the riding I should be able to ride in and home on Fridays too, but that's a stretch goal at the moment.

For now I'm just enjoying the sunset over the river, trying to race the cars on the freeway (they are beating me but not by much, traffic is pretty slow in peak hour), and meeting by killer hill goals. First it was getting up without stopping and having to walk the bike, then it was getting up without having to go down to my very lowest gear, next I'm aiming for keeping my speed in double digits. Slowest I got today was 8.5kph, so I'm nearly there. My other short term goal is to average over 25 kph on the long flat section of my ride, and long term goal is to actually overtake someone for once! (Most of the riders on my route are in lycra on proper road bikes, so in my casual gear, with baby seat and bulky hybrid, I'm not in the same league.)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
I biked to work every day this week! Even on Wednesday with it's pouring rain. I had a rain poncho that didn't keep much dry except my backpack, chest and shoulders. Any tips on how to keep dry biking in the rain?

If it's a heavy downpour, you're going to get wet no matter what. Breathable waterproof (GoreTex and the various cheaper materials) gear can help, but you also have the fine line of "keeping my dry from rain but if I cycle hard, I'll be just as wet from sweat". I'll generally still wear the jacket, pants, and boots when temps are below 70F, otherwise you'll get chilled, but if the temp is warmer I'll just get wet and plan a clothing change at destination. (I have waterproof panniers.)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »

If it's a heavy downpour, you're going to get wet no matter what. Breathable waterproof (GoreTex and the various cheaper materials) gear can help, but you also have the fine line of "keeping my dry from rain but if I cycle hard, I'll be just as wet from sweat". I'll generally still wear the jacket, pants, and boots when temps are below 70F, otherwise you'll get chilled, but if the temp is warmer I'll just get wet and plan a clothing change at destination. (I have waterproof panniers.)

Yeah, that's what I did. It was raining much worse on the way home so I just stripped as soon as I got in the door, jumped in the shower and changed. On the way to work the rain wasn't as bad and my shoes didn't get wet. On the way to work I always bring a change of clothes anyway (except I didn't expect the back of my underwear would also get soaking wet with the puddle splashes) and I keep an old pair of shoes at work for emergencies.

I have rain pants and a jacket that might have worked better, but I didn't want to wear the pants and wreck them getting caught in the bike gears. My backpack has a rain cover too that should keep it mostly dry except the shoulder straps.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »
Damn, it's hot as shit today. (about 31°C = 88°F). I still rode, but on the way back I had emptied my watter bottle after 8km (17 to go...). No fun! But I was very happy when I was finally home :-)
And now I'm wondering whether this makes me sound like a complainypants to all you Americans who are probably used to riding in temperatures where the air turns to plasma...

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
Haven't really gotten on the bike yet this month as I had to drive to work due to changing locations. Going to try to bike to get the kids from daycare this afternoon.

TrMama

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »
You know you bike a lot when . . .

on the one day you drive to work, you have to stop yourself from using arm signals, rather than your car's fancy built-in blinky signals.

Sigh, stopped myself just in time.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »
You know you bike a lot when . . .

on the one day you drive to work, you have to stop yourself from using arm signals, rather than your car's fancy built-in blinky signals.

Sigh, stopped myself just in time.

I do that sometimes while walking down the hallway.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »

Also, my name isn't up on the June spreadsheet yet. I just added it on the previous one during the last few days of May.

I have a pair of shoulder-season cycling pants that are sort of like splash pants. They unzip on the sides so you can vent them without water getting in. I also have a k-way-ish jacket that works well as a rain jacket. Both of these were bought years ago on good intentions so I have no clue how much I paid for them way back when. It was probably a lot. They are also good outer layers for X-country skiing and snowshoeing.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
Haven't really gotten on the bike yet this month as I had to drive to work due to changing locations. Going to try to bike to get the kids from daycare this afternoon.

You're not alone. I only biked in twice this week. Too many remote meetings.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
Had a soggy M-W, missed going to the races on Monday, and no group ride on Wednesday.  Still been doing fairly well at getting to work early, but haven't been getting up nearly as early as I would like.  Helping my dad move this weekend, will probably ride out there, which will be a good 25 miles, then debate on how I want to go back, a great thing about our location is many modes of transportation to choose from, I could bike the entire way back, or take the light rail, or bus.  Might even decide to take the light rail through the mountain and ride the 9 miles from there to my place.  Will have to see how I feel after moving.

I see this month there is already some stiff competition going on, I'm going to have to up my game to stay near the top.  Next 10 days look to be 80F+, so should be able to get some good rides in.

jordanread

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »
[...]

Cookie78, when I first implemented the 'remember me' functionality, the sheet grew a lot with people who weren't participating or didn't log miles. To that end, I only move forward people who have mileage. You will need to fill out the form again. Once you get mileage on there, it will bring you forward every month.

For the rest of you, I did get the manual import of history working. If for some reason your history is not showing up, I can get it imported manually if you let me know. I re-imported SanteFeSteve's history, but that was the only one I noticed.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »
Summer's here and I got my first soaking of the rainy season.  Also happened to be on a day when I was wearing padded bike shorts, so it felt like I had a wet diaper on by the time I got home.  =/

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »
Today the 4 year old, 7 year old, and I rode the Victoria Rail trail from Lindsay to Fenelon Falls. Sat at the lock station and watched boats come and go while eating ice cream then got on our bikes and rode back. 47 km is pretty impressive for a 7 year old on a Schwinn that's a size too small. I think he's due for a better bike.

The 4 year old napped in the trailer the whole time.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »
Today the 4 year old, 7 year old, and I rode the Victoria Rail trail from Lindsay to Fenelon Falls. Sat at the lock station and watched boats come and go while eating ice cream then got on our bikes and rode back. 47 km is pretty impressive for a 7 year old on a Schwinn that's a size too small. I think he's due for a better bike.

The 4 year old napped in the trailer the whole time.

47km for a 7 year old is impressive on ANY size bike. And I thought my kids were badass! ;)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »
47km for a 7 year old is impressive on ANY size bike. And I thought my kids were badass! ;)

Thanks - He's pretty good on the bike as long as you don't expect him to set any speed records. Then again, he loves doing "Jet - Pack - TAKE OFF!!!" and scooting so far ahead he has to stop and wait for you to catch up (I hit the brakes when he takes off) while complaining that I can't go that fast. Its fun for everyone.

I think the round trip was just under 4 hours for 47 km - which puts him at about his average 12 km/h. When we were done he went to play at the park while I loaded the car for the drive home. The kid is made of pure energy.

What was great about this trip was that it acted as a feeler for my end of summer ride from Toronto to Algonquin Park. having done this section of the route as a day trip, I am now more confident that I can do the whole thing as a bike trip. That trip will be around 300 km - not sure I'll take the kids.

jordanread

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 04:33:57 PM »
Finally convinced my GF to do errands with me today. Considering we have a Walgreen's within 2 miles, a 7-11 within 1 mile, and a full on grocery store within 4 miles, and a liquor store within .7 mile, I don't know why I haven't been able to convince her before.  We did just put slicks on her bike, so she is going faster now, plus I kind of talked up a trip I made to Walgreen's for drugs this week. Hopefully it sticks. I did get a chain that is big enough to lock up both our bikes (there is a hardware store next to the grocery store...I just got chain and had a padlock laying around).

I still can't dismount worth a crap (broken jaw - balance and equilibrium is all off), so I have all kinds of new scabs and injuries, but it hasn't stopped me. Keep on rocking it!!

MrScottStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »
Last week i finally biked to work 2 days.  Maybe this challenge will keep me at that level.  Only 1 day so far of temps over 100 ( this is the dry heat of Phoenix) so we'll see what the rest of the summer will be like.  Between biking and telecommuting, i only drove to work 1 day.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 06:12:23 PM »
Prospector - my kids are a bit faster on their current bikes.  On a rail trail they'd probably be ~16-18 km/h. The closest thing to that we've done they averaged 16 including street crossings. Before my middle one had her crash, we averaged 12 on mixed terrain with traffic lights and whatnot. These days we're a bit slower than that while she regains comfort level.

What seems to work best is to have my oldest not go over a certain speed (otherwise she'd be WAY ahead) and act as a rabbit to encourage her younger sister to chase her. Still working on the fear level, but I'm hopeful.

Doing multi-day trips would be fun. I've gotten addicted to reading touring journals on CGOAB.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
Goblinchief, 'Thing 1' is funny. Sometimes I take off ahead and then force him to catch up. Sometimes he wants to lead. On the same trip we can be any combination of ahead, behind, and alongside each other.

I find that if I can get him absentmindedly yammering about something he'll match just about any speed I go, up to whatever his bike can handle. Yesterday the two of them spent over an hour calling me a variety of -----head names. Cheesehead, iguanahead, bananahead, etc.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
I rode about 20 miles total with my wife Saturday riding around to farmers markets and an art festival.

Today, I put in 40 miles, but that 40 miles had a stretch of about 3,000 ft in elevation gain (see attached elevation profile). On the bright side, the locals leave coolers full of cookies and Gatorade at the top for weary cyclists such as myself.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 10:27:46 AM »
My bike in this morning was in the pouring rain--I was soaked to the skin after a couple of minutes. Luckily it's a warm day, and it honestly put a grin on my face. Felt very badass.

I should probably get a cheap rain poncho or something (at least to protect my phone), but there's something so lovely about getting soaked when it isn't cold--walking, biking, or just going out to splash in the puddles.

(Of course, I may be singing a very different tune when I put my damp jeans back on to bike home ...)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 10:43:58 AM »
I'm in! We moved on Saturday so today is Bike Commuting Day 1. It's 3.2 miles each way, so hardly anything compared to some of you, but it's a big deal for me.

My goals are:
1. bike to work every day
2. don't die

Today the ride in was very pleasant (65-ish degrees at 8 am) but we'll see how I feel after riding home when it's 85-90 and humid. :D

jordanread

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »
2. don't die

The only serious injury I've ever had has been in a car. I still love my bike. That being said, thanks for all the awesomeness you contribute!! You are a badass, and Bike Commuting is great!!! You've got this.

wileyish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »
My goals are:
1. bike to work every day
2. don't die

Today the ride in was very pleasant (65-ish degrees at 8 am) but we'll see how I feel after riding home when it's 85-90 and humid. :D

Like everything else, it will get easier with more practice. Keep at it, we’re rooting for ya! And there is a camaraderie amongst bike commuters that is hard to find elsewhere in life. Just tonight a fellow cyclist and I stopped 30 ft before a stoplight to take advantage of the shade (it was 104F here). Turns out she lives a couple blocks south of me so we spent the rest of the commute chatting with each other and didn’t pay attention to the heat. That kind of stuff happens all the time on bikes.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 07:14:46 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys! wileyish, that's awesome. I have yet to see another cyclist on my route.

So far so good - I've been following the rules of the road and drivers have been respecting my space. Today I'm a bit sore in the sitting-down area but it's not terrible.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »
Rode my bike home 15 miles in 91 deg. F. Everyone thought I was crazy for doing it, but the heat wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In fact I improved my time by 10 minutes!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
This  weekend I rode out to my dad's place again, 27 miles, to help him move.  It's gotten easier every time, and what was once a huge hill to crawl over now feels like it takes almost no time at all.  I was climbing up it and saw the "Stop sign ahead" sign and was like, "Really?  I'm that close to the top, I thought it would take longer."

In other news, I finally placed well in the races on Monday, took 3rd place.  I called my wife afterwards to tell her and her first response was, "Oh, were there not many people out there today?"

mathy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
I am new to the forums and this is just challenge is just my jam!  I love biking and have an amazing bike that up until now, I've ridden at the most 5 miles on the weekend.  Traffic scares me a little but what scares me more is sitting on my butt wasting gasoline.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 06:39:49 AM »
I am new to the forums and this is just challenge is just my jam!  I love biking and have an amazing bike that up until now, I've ridden at the most 5 miles on the weekend.  Traffic scares me a little but what scares me more is sitting on my butt wasting gasoline.

It's hard for me also. Now that it's warm and the snow is gone I could be riding my Harley. It's only two miles I am not saving that much in gas and maintenance. Now I use it as a fitness goal to ride my bicycle. A side benefit is I don't have to fight for a parking spot.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 08:08:08 AM »
Yesterday there was rain in the forecast so I wimped out and drove to work. It ended up being sunny all day long. I felt so bad for the missed miles.

I made sure I rode in today. I'll put in extra miles at teh end of the day to make up for yesterday - or something.

jordanread

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
Yesterday there was rain in the forecast so I wimped out and drove to work. It ended up being sunny all day long. I felt so bad for the missed miles.

I made sure I rode in today. I'll put in extra miles at teh end of the day to make up for yesterday - or something.

My big month (January) I made it a point not to look at the forecast so I wouldn't be tempted to drive. Had a few uncomfortable 4° days, and it made for a slow pace, but made me feel like a badass.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2015, 08:59:35 AM »
The local weather prediction for this afternoon is "gusts of 40-60KPH." This could be an interesting commute home ....

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
Woke up with vertigo this morning (WTF!) so I decided to walk/take the subway rather than ride. And unless it resolves itself today I'm thinking I may be going to the Dr. rather than work tomorrow (which is also walkable fortunately). Ugh, stupid falling-apart body.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »
The local weather prediction for this afternoon is "gusts of 40-60KPH." This could be an interesting commute home ....
If it's a tail wind it could be really fun!

jordanread

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »

I keep hearing about these alleged tail winds. For some reason, on my old route, the wind would shift while I was work and it was always a head wind.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »

I keep hearing about these alleged tail winds. For some reason, on my old route, the wind would shift while I was work and it was always a head wind.

We have 2 storms daisy-chained to each other. I'm really hoping its all blown over by 5:00... OK maybe I'll work an hour of OT and try for 6 or 7 or 10:30.