Author Topic: June Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 19926 times)

jordanread

June Cycling Challenge 2014
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
Here is the link to the spreadsheet for June:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao9WawExpjLNdEJCaVptQ3VlVFZzRGNrUHpDVFlMV3c&usp=sharing

If you need assistance adding yourself, just drop a line in here and one of us will help us out. I haven't gotten the super easy one click version working, so this is just like last months. That being said, some people liked some status updates from the previous month, so here they are.

Mustachians cycled a distance of > 5680.2 (9141.4 K) miles during the month of May 2014. That means that we rode further than the distance from Anchorage, AK and Guatemala City, Guatemala. We pretty much traversed North America!! (Driving instructions on Google Maps says that the distance between the two is 5,671 miles). We prevented the need to burn over 5600 lbs of C02, which weighs more than a female 18 ft long Killer Whale at Sea World (who clocks in at 5,384lbs). Way to go Mustachians!!

Since the challenges have started, we now have broken 100,000 Miles!! That is going circling the earth more than 4 times!! Or, put another way, we have travelled a distance equivalent to making it 40% of the way to the moon (averagely).

Way to rock it people. Happy Cycling this month!!

Thegoblinchief

Re: June Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:54:47 AM »
Had a family party last night and everyone was complimenting me on how trim I was getting. I don't think anyone will become a cyclist, but one of my college-aged nieces seemed curious, so maybe?

Happy cycling everybody!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 06:14:31 AM »
I'd like to join. But.... I are not very smart with computers could some body add me a tab. I would hate to screw the thing up.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
Hedge_87, added you to the sheet.  Go into the Tab with your name and add your miles each day.

Nancy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:54:16 AM »
Thanks, Jordanread! Awesome status updates!!

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:39:55 AM »
Thanks, Jordanread! Awesome status updates!!
Glad you like them. It was fun finding stats like that.

Hedge_87, added you to the sheet.  Go into the Tab with your name and add your miles each day.

Thanks for helping out with that.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
Thanks for the new sheet!

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »
Cool stats Jordan.

Thanks for starting another month.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »
Count me in this month. I've actually been bike commuting for years, but just never joined this challenge before...My original bike commute when I started forever ago was less than 2 miles. My longest commute was 18 miles roundtrip when I lived in Salt Lake City. My current commute is about 8 miles round trip.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
Finally tallied up my miles for May and it was 92.7.  Going to see if I can break 100 miles for June, which should be fairly easy since my husband and I basically ditch the car in the summer except for road trips.  Pretty much all non-commute trips will also involve the child in the bike trailer, adding a bit more badassity.  :)

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
I added myself in with a new tab. Had to build some laptops over the weekend for new employees, so I got to ride in with a decent amount of weight on the rear rack.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
Thanks

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
Thanks Jordan,
Back in the saddle this month.
Last month was possibly my worst month for mileage ever. No more flimsy excuses left.

prefrontalfinance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »
Just making a note to myself to keep logging miles. If I had understood we were keeping track of MMM-clan riding distances, I would have put my miles for last month in!

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 08:27:05 AM »
I just want everyone to know I f'n hate wind

jordanread

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 08:33:04 AM »
Thanks Jordan,
Back in the saddle this month.
Last month was possibly my worst month for mileage ever. No more flimsy excuses left.

Yeah, jeez. A piddly 180 miles you slacker. :P

I feel you. I think I went on a rant a couple of months ago about that. I think the verdict was that wind is stupid.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:58 AM »
You know it's summer when your breakfast consists of gnats and cottonwood seeds...

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »

I feel you. I think I went on a rant a couple of months ago about that. I think the verdict was that wind is stupid.
[/quote]

Could be worse ...

http://www.reddit.com/r/bikecommuting/comments/26s0bn/cross_post_from_rvideos_this_is_yet_another/

The actual video http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3b5_1400689840

jordanread

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »
Could be worse ...

http://www.reddit.com/r/bikecommuting/comments/26s0bn/cross_post_from_rvideos_this_is_yet_another/

The actual video http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3b5_1400689840

Holy crap!!
Note to self...if I ever find myself riding about in Perth, Australia...be very aware of what is going on around me. I love the fact that the cycling infrastructure is so awesome here in CO. Couple that with the fact that for the most part (at least here in Colorado Springs) cyclists are expected, and it makes for a great ride. All that being said though, could you imagine how amped up you would be by the time you got into work?

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
Would someone be so kind as to correctly add me to the master summary. I duplicated myself, but my miles aren't showing up. Thank you!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »
Would someone be so kind as to correctly add me to the master summary. I duplicated myself, but my miles aren't showing up. Thank you!

Done!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
Thank you gamergirl!!!!

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:20 AM »
Thanks, Jordan!

Last month sucked, but I'm going to keep going--every day is a new opportunity. Aiming for commuting by bike 2x a week now. :)

So glad I started back when it was cooler. It's much harder to get the will to get on the bike when it's 80+ degrees outside with no shade...

jordanread

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 09:03:27 AM »
Thanks, Jordan!

Last month sucked, but I'm going to keep going--every day is a new opportunity. Aiming for commuting by bike 2x a week now. :)

So glad I started back when it was cooler. It's much harder to get the will to get on the bike when it's 80+ degrees outside with no shade...

You are welcome. As far as the weather goes, I find myself waking up earlier and earlier as it gets warmer. On the plus side, that means I get off of work earlier as the days get longer, which means more time to pretend I've already caught FIRE!!!

HAULIN3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Plant Strong!
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »
yay! Sounds fun! I just saw this and added my name, but I"m out of town until the 9th.  I'll get with it then!! Thanks!!

San

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »
I think I added that right? I'm keen to track just what we're doing with the bike as we move forward. My goal is to bike anywhere 3 miles away and under, provided it's not pouring rain, and farther if I can. My daughter loves the bike, and wants to wear her helmet around the house *all* the time these days.

We're using an adult tricycle (which has gotten me some weird looks and more attention than expected), which lets me carry a full load of groceries with my toddler daughter in a child's seat on the front. :)

jordanread

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
I think I added that right? I'm keen to track just what we're doing with the bike as we move forward. My goal is to bike anywhere 3 miles away and under, provided it's not pouring rain, and farther if I can. My daughter loves the bike, and wants to wear her helmet around the house *all* the time these days.

We're using an adult tricycle (which has gotten me some weird looks and more attention than expected), which lets me carry a full load of groceries with my toddler daughter in a child's seat on the front. :)

You got it mostly right. All you need to do here on out is update your sheet, and the other stuff will automatically update. I have a guy around here who rides one of the riding ellipticals...it's amazing how something just a touch different draws all kind of attention. Keep On!!!

Can someone add me back into the sheet?  I'm back in the saddle again, after a bike theft threw me off pace a few months ago.  I got a replacement bike, but was working such insane hours it was hard to get back in the groove.  We recently moved offices and yesterday I biked to/from the new location for the first time.  About 30-35 minutes, which is less time than it takes me to take the bus.  about 8km each way, 10 miles round trip. 

Looking forward to tracking progress and contributing to the totals!

I got you added. Just update your sheet and you are good to go!!

jordanread

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »
yay! Sounds fun! I just saw this and added my name, but I"m out of town until the 9th.  I'll get with it then!! Thanks!!

A deer? Damn dude. At least it didn't happen like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M!!

San

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »

You got it mostly right. All you need to do here on out is update your sheet, and the other stuff will automatically update. I have a guy around here who rides one of the riding ellipticals...it's amazing how something just a touch different draws all kind of attention. Keep On!!!

Thank you!

jordanread

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »

Thank you!

Not a problem. Happy Cycling!!!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 05:54:42 PM »
So I'm the only person to ride a bike where I work commute or recreation.  I get all sorts of comments about this. Today was the first time I've had to ride in the rain. You would have thought I showed up with dead babies in my lunch box. I didn't think it was that crazy it was just drizzling. Apparently everybody else couldn't believe it. The kicker is my job is an outdoors job rain or shine you would think they wouldn't think anything about it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
Wait for the reactions when it snows!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »
Wait for the reactions when it snows!
I know it will be epic.  I just figured at my work (electric lineman) we brave the elements all the time! Hell I've been out in the middle of a ice storm in -20 F!  You wouldn't think it wouldn't be that big of a deal for a guy to ride a bike 1.2 miles in a light drizzle.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »
I hope "goblins" are an acceptable badass condition :P

jordanread

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
I hope "goblins" are an acceptable badass condition :P

Depends on how they were armed :D

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
Just added myself to the spreadsheet.  Got over 50 miles in so far :)

jordanread

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »
I've been slacking off majorly this month, but did have an awesome ride last night. It was the Starlight Spectacular, a nighttime charity ride that was a blast. About 1500 people showed up in various states of costume, cops closed down huge thoroughfares throughout the city, and it was overall a really good time. Unfortunately, we don't have regular Night Rides like they do in Longmont, but oh my it was a blast.

That being said, I have a few more items to complete on the new and improved spreadsheet, and was curious who would be interested in helping me test it. If you are interested, just comment here or PM me.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
Lab rat, reporting for duty!

jordanread

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »
Lab rat, reporting for duty!

Sweet!! I'll PM you the link and details tomorrow. I have one thing left to complete, which I'll do tomorrow, and then see how it goes. For the most part, it's just automating the initial setup, but I'm adding some additional tracking options.

Btw, I totally thought of you on that ride yesterday. I was kicking ass going up this hill, passing everyone around. All of a sudden, I hear a sound to my left, and it's some guy hauling around 2 kids in a trailer, who then proceeded to kick my ass. My first thought was: "Is goblinchief in Colorado Springs?" :-D

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 06:27:11 AM »
Btw, I totally thought of you on that ride yesterday. I was kicking ass going up this hill, passing everyone around. All of a sudden, I hear a sound to my left, and it's some guy hauling around 2 kids in a trailer, who then proceeded to kick my ass. My first thought was: "Is goblinchief in Colorado Springs?" :-D

Hah! Nice :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »
Pains me to admit it, but I think I have to give up on the self-powered minivan. 3 kids are just too damn heavy, since anywhere interesting to bike to requires at least one granny gear climb and no matter how correctly I position the seats and maintain cadence, it's wearing my knees out.

This means getting up at 5AM or earlier to get decent exercise, then biking at 8ish mph with the older two with the youngest in the trailer. Fuck.

jordanread

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »
Pains me to admit it, but I think I have to give up on the self-powered minivan. 3 kids are just too damn heavy, since anywhere interesting to bike to requires at least one granny gear climb and no matter how correctly I position the seats and maintain cadence, it's wearing my knees out.

This means getting up at 5AM or earlier to get decent exercise, then biking at 8ish mph with the older two with the youngest in the trailer. Fuck.

It might be cheating, but you could potentially get the kids some of the electrical assist things...or (and I have no experience here) one of the extendor seats so that one or two of them could help...

TrMama

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2014, 03:52:27 PM »

It might be cheating, but you could potentially get the kids some of the electrical assist things...or (and I have no experience here) one of the extendor seats so that one or two of them could help...

My DH did a ton of research on e-bikes last fall. If I had to haul 3 kids, I'd get one of these for the tow bike, http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/all-products.aspx.

The only other option I could come up with was a tandem bike, mod'd to bring the pedals up high enough for the largest child to ride stoker and then haul the smaller two in the trailer. However, cheap tandems are really hard to find.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
No money to spend on e-bikes, and they'd still outgrow it besides.

Pretty sure my kids would freak out on a tandem. They're super sensitive/afraid about balance as it is. And I've almost never seen one used.

Last summer I got them up to 7-10 miles roundtrip, albeit with threats/coaxing. By next year I can get them into 20" multispeeds (I could probably get them to fit one, but again no $$). This year is just awkward growing pains, I guess.

jordanread

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »
No money to spend on e-bikes, and they'd still outgrow it besides.

Pretty sure my kids would freak out on a tandem. They're super sensitive/afraid about balance as it is. And I've almost never seen one used.

Last summer I got them up to 7-10 miles roundtrip, albeit with threats/coaxing. By next year I can get them into 20" multispeeds (I could probably get them to fit one, but again no $$). This year is just awkward growing pains, I guess.

Gotcha. I did see a 3 person tandem, with a trailer at the ride the other night. My only thought was "bike limousine!!".
Won't help with your other cycling challenge, but if you were feeling really hard core, you could carry the small one, and run along side the two older ones. :-) How badass would that be? And by badass, I mean totally freaking miserable!! :P

Do you have SPDs on the bike that you haul them with, or just platforms/clips?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »

Do you have SPDs on the bike that you haul them with, or just platforms/clips?

Platforms with traction pins. They are the boss.

jordanread

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »

So no power on the upstroke, right?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2014, 05:00:32 PM »

That is correct.

jordanread

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »

That is correct.

You may want to try the PowerGrips I mentioned last month. They changed my life. Totally killed it going up hill. No special shoes or anything.

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:15 AM »
The only other option I could come up with was a tandem bike, mod'd to bring the pedals up high enough for the largest child to ride stoker and then haul the smaller two in the trailer. However, cheap tandems are really hard to find.

How about a bike - trail-a-bike - trailer combo like this (http://daily.sightline.org/2012/07/25/babes-on-bikes-ii/davey-oil-mama/)?  I've heard one LBS owner say he built one for his sister and it's great, and I heard another LBS owner say he did it and regretted it (but he didn't give details and I didn't think to ask at the time).  In Montreal it's fairly easy to find a used trail-a-bike on craigslist.  Two years ago we got lucky and found one at a garage sale for $5; it's a bit rusty but it works fine after a minimal tune-up.

I've hooked the trail-a-bike up to our cargo bike a few times and it does introduce some wobble when my son shifts his weight from side to side.  On the cargo bike, this impacts steering because the front wheel is so far ahead; it's better when the other two kids are in the box and their mass helps keep things steady.

We started using the trail-a-bike with slow rides in an empty parking lot and gradually built up the speed and distance.  With my eldest starting summer vacation in a few days, I'm hoping to take him out with the trail-a-bike attached to my hybrid so that we can explore more parks and bike paths while still giving him a bit of exercise that he wouldn't get by just sitting in the box bike.  I'm impressed that you got your kids to bike up to 7-10 miles!