• Stubble
Re: July ~ Weight Loss Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »
I'm in. Starting at 189.8 goal of 5 lbs again for 184.8

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 12:03:07 PM »
I don't have a scale but recently weighed myself while visiting my parents..so now I have a baseline :)

Currently at 70.3 kg or 155lbs--will aim for 3 lbs this month

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »
Cool. This is just the catalyst I needed. Goal for the month: -6 lbs.

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 01:09:04 PM »
Recently starting to pick up the pace again.
Currently about 96kg, I'm up for 2.5kg.
That's about 212lbs with a goal of 5.5lbs in freedom units.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 01:29:09 PM »
4 more pounds lost for me plz, as usual!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
In again!

Starting weight - 126.2
Goal weight - 123.2

0/3 lbs lost

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 02:59:09 PM »
Going for 3 lbs/1.5 kg again. Starting point 64.5 kg.

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »
Starting 141.8
Ending 137.5

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
Aiming for 2lbs (173 to 171)

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
Weighed myself this morning, 95.3kg, so that will be my reference, and therefore the goal will be 92.8kg

sallyanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »
Starting 148.2, goal is -8 lb, 140.2

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 05:00:09 AM »
Skipped the June thread, but would love to jump back in.

Aiming for -4 lbs. Thanks!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 05:36:13 AM »
I am in, hoping to lose 3 pounds!

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 06:40:56 AM »
Now that my torn meniscus has healed I need to get back on the weight loss. unfortunately I actually gained weight during the healing :(

Anyway starting at 305 and want to drop 6 pounds

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 07:20:00 AM »
Going ambitious this time.

10lbs

Did this last month and 8lbs for the two months each before, so I am ready to be done. The cutting plan I am following terminates (unless I keep going with it) so this is my hope.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 11:18:03 AM »
Me too, going ambitious as well.  It will be 10 for me this month.  This is really a stretch goal but I have to make it challenging for myself.

I have started exercising as well so I am off to a good start.  I have bought a kayak and am excited to get it. I hope to get out on the water more. It is a good workout for the upper body and I need that as I have sadly become flabby. 

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »
I'm going to try for 5 again. I made 4/5 for June, hoping to hit it this month.

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
Cool. This is just the catalyst I needed. Goal for the month: -6 lbs.

Upping my goal to -10. Good luck everyone!

FrugalYCP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
I'm in for 4 again this month.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »
I'm signing up!

I was 174.2 on 1-July, and my aim is to lose 4lbs.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »
July 1 - 126.8
GOAL - 124 (breaking the 125 barrier would be huge)
loss: 2.8

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 12:12:03 PM »
My 2 lb goal last month wasn't helpful. Gimme 8 this month! 

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 02:57:35 PM »
Can those of you who are aiming for 8+lbs of weight loss in a month explain how? I know that the answer is math, but really, how are you consistently achieving that sort of caloric deficit without gnawing your limbs off? I'm a horror to be around with my 500 calorie/day deficit, so I'm in awe of those of you who can double that.

Delay breakfast, then only something light like yogurt (measured portion, greek, non fat of course), stick to your planned meals throughout the day. In the evening stay distracted. Play with the kids, think about your workout the next morning, watch a motivational video, plan what you will do in retirement etc. If you are bored you will eat. Sometimes you screw up and snack, just take a bite, and don't do it the next day or the day after that...

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
Can those of you who are aiming for 8+lbs of weight loss in a month explain how? I know that the answer is math, but really, how are you consistently achieving that sort of caloric deficit without gnawing your limbs off? I'm a horror to be around with my 500 calorie/day deficit, so I'm in awe of those of you who can double that.

Delay breakfast, then only something light like yogurt (measured portion, greek, non fat of course), stick to your planned meals throughout the day. In the evening stay distracted. Play with the kids, think about your workout the next morning, watch a motivational video, plan what you will do in retirement etc. If you are bored you will eat. Sometimes you screw up and snack, just take a bite, and don't do it the next day or the day after that...

Oh, I'm mostly just delusional and gonna wind up chewing my limbs off. I did do pretty well today though. So far.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 08:27:34 AM »
Egg whites and hot sauce is usually the start of a good day of high protein low cal for me. They are just too expensive; can't wait for my chicks to start laying in a month or so.

Even so, I only eat cartoon/half carton(no more than 50g of protein) worth per day. I usually have an entire can of tomatoes and some other veggies in with it to. So yes, egg whites and hot sauce is a strong start to the day, but I usually only do that a few times a week.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »
I didn't really lose anything in June (0.3 maybe?) so I'll try again for July. I'm starting at 166.8 as of July 2. I'm hiking Mt. Whitney next week and ramping up my trail running to train for pacing my brother next month, so I'm going to go with an optimistic (but maybe achievable?) 160 target for the end of July. If I end up down 4-5 though I'll be happy that momentum is finally going in the right direction again.

I was reading someone else's post here about the No S Diet so I may try to take that approach in general.

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »

For me, I upped my goal from 6 lbs to 10 lbs once I did an initial weigh-in and realized I was carrying some extra water weight from a weekend-long Doritos binge. So I'm not really expecting to lose 10 lbs of actual fat.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »
So far this month, and especially this week, is a complete fail. So hungry. Not sure why. Frustrating, but I'm determined to get past it and keep trying. :)

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »
I'm late to the party, but I'm aiming to lose ~4 lbs by the end of the month. Currently 227.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »
I am not sure I am having any success yet, will either need to buy a scale (not-happening) or or a gym-pass so I can use theirs..
I suppose that will also be great motivation to use said gym pass!

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
I had been using the scale at work to monitor my weight, but eventually decided to buy one.  That purchase has really helped me stay motivated.  Between the lack of precision on the scale at work combined with weight fluctuations depending on the time of day and clothes, ect, the scale just wasn't picking up my weight loss (I'm only aiming for 3 or 4 pounds for the month).  By purchasing a scale I have been able to see the slow but consistent progress.  It is a whole lot easier for me to say no to delicious treats when I am certain that it's making a difference.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 07:18:30 AM »
High work stress and lack of sleep got me to have a very mixed super healthy/super unhealthy diet the last weeks. Like going from veggie breakfast one day to chocolate cookie lunch the next day. It also doesn't help that my uni gym has a summer stop where only one of my general classes continues. I hadn't realized the swimming pool would be closed ALL summer. None of my other unis had this so I didn't expect it :(.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »
I've been very strict with myself about eating and exercise so far this month and I'm now hovering at about 165, so about 3 down for the month. On the otherhand the is about where I started June and I'm starting to get to the point where I feel like I'm going to go crazy and fall off the wagon soon.

Gilly

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »
Up 2 lbs. Boo. Today starts my re-commitment to daily weigh ins so I can track if the 2 lbs is just typical fluctuation or a trend. I can have fluctuations of ~4 lbs for reasons unrelated to my diet and exercise. 

Gilly

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2018, 08:40:24 AM »
Up 2 lbs. Boo. Today starts my re-commitment to daily weigh ins so I can track if the 2 lbs is just typical fluctuation or a trend. I can have fluctuations of ~4 lbs for reasons unrelated to my diet and exercise. 
Well weighed this morning. Yesterday was 191.8. Today was 188.4. Yay 3.4 lb swing? I know my body does this, but doggone it this reinforces daily weigh-ins are the way to go for me.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
Hirondelle, trying to lose weight when struggling with high work stress and little sleep is super-hard, so I'm impressed by your effort. If only we could join Serendip in lake swimming for the summer!

Neophyte, are you able to fall off of the wagon for one meal to regain your sanity and then resume disciplined eating afterward? My curry night earlier in the week put me over my daily goal, but allowed me to reset and feel a lot less deprived.

In a Mustachian failure, I tried on pants that I had bought a size too small last year, and they're too big now. I'm reminded that good prices on things that I don't use are a terrible deal.

Ahw, thanks for the heads up! I'd love to join for some lake-swimming as long as it's not too cold ;)

Good job on the pants too. Are they that much too small that it's not doable anymore to wear them with a belt? If they were really too small and now that much too big it means that at least you must've lost a ton of weight!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »
Neophyte, are you able to fall off of the wagon for one meal to regain your sanity and then resume disciplined eating afterward? My curry night earlier in the week put me over my daily goal, but allowed me to reset and feel a lot less deprived.

Unfortunately I'm not good at this. I don't have particularly healthy relationships with food. I'm kind of all or nothing. I've learned the hard way too. Particularly with sweets. Just trying to have a single small serving can set me off on a week long eating binge. I just cannot have it in the house, I have to take the option off the table.

Some friends are visiting town today and want to go out for Ramen. Everything at the restaurant is at least an entire days worth of calories for me. (Yeah, just eat half, but I know me and the odds off that happening once I start eating are virtually nil.)  So far I've only had a quarter cup of milk today so I'm debating between eating lunch and then just having miso soup and tea for dinner or trying to hold out until f dinner before eating anything else.

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2018, 09:55:25 PM »
Aiming for 2lbs (173 to 171)

Done!

Have been jogging (couch to 5km program) for 7 weeks now, and finally I can feel my shape changing. Movement on the scales is even slower, but am now aiming for <170lbs by end of July which will see me below 77kg.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
Re: July ~ Weight Loss Challenge.
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 11:34:21 PM »
I checked out the menu ahead of time and saw they offered two of their dishes in a small size. I had a small salad at 3 pm (200 calories total prior to dinner) and then ordered the small bowl at dinner. No idea how many calories but I still feel full 7 hours later, so I'm betting lots. We went out for ice cream afterwards and I stuck to decaf coffee. Based on how I feel, I did go over my calorie limit by 200-300 calories, but I'm giving myself mental pats on the back for sticking to the plan and not doing much worse.

Now I just have to survive the world cup tomorrow!

Good luck with the visit @Sun Hat . That's a tricky scenario, I think sticking to trying not to gain sounds very reasonable.

Edit: survived the weekend and held steady! Hopefully no one brings treats to work today!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:21:40 AM by neophyte »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
My pants are getting tight, I haven't changed clothes sizes since high school, and it's a helluva lot cheaper to lose a baker's dozen than to buy a new wardrobe.

So...I'm in. On Sunday (July 15) I weighed myself at 198. I need to be at 185. I'm aiming to lose 1.5 lbs/week, so I should reach my goal by the middle of September. By the end of July, I want to be at 195. Put me down for 3 lbs. of weight loss this month. I'll try to check back weekly to report my progress.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2018, 10:23:50 AM »
Over half way done with the month and only half a pound down. Time to get serious.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 08:18:12 AM »
I was hungry all day yesterday and ended up overeating (on healthy stuff at least!) and skipping my workout. I did walk 10 miles, so hopefully that helped mitigate some of it. I'm also very sleep deprived. My willpower reserves are low.

And someone brought donuts today. From a place that I swear puts crack in the donuts. If I have even a bite, I know I'll eat at least 3. I'm hoping that posting here will help me hold out.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 08:32:05 AM »
I'm really struggling this month, just scale is just not going down. I've given up booze and been doing IF which normally works. I might have to fast longer to get things going in the right direction. I've also been exercising more and body fat seems to be dropping so that's good.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
Seeing the struggles makes me wonder what methods people use to hold themselves accountable. I've never been in the position where I've needed to lose weight before, so this is new territory for me. For those of you who have been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, what worked for you? For those of you who are struggling with keeping commitments to yourself, what are you planning to do differently?

[edited to remove quotes]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:41:46 AM by Mississippi Mudstache »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »
Thanks, Sun Hat. I'm going full-on Mustachian on this thing, tracking calorie expenditures with a FitBit and calorie intake with the Lose It! app. I'm targeting 2,000 calories per day of intake and 3,000 calories burned, which should (theoretically at least) burn 7,000 calories/week, or 2 lbs. of fat. I'll weigh myself once a week to see if theory matches reality.

So far, it's been helpful to turn this into a game, and track things as maniacally as I did with my finances when I discovered MMM 5 years ago. Of course, I'm only 5 days in, so we'll see how long I hold out. No real problems with hunger so far. I've long known that I eat more out of boredom than for sustenance. Perhaps calorie-tracking can help alleviate the boredom that leads me to overeat.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
Seeing the struggles makes me wonder what methods people use to hold themselves accountable. I've never been in the position where I've needed to lose weight before, so this is new territory for me. For those of you who have been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, what worked for you? For those of you who are struggling with keeping commitments to yourself, what are you planning to do differently?

Hmm, I feel slightly silly responding because you're quoting me about my struggles, but maybe acknowledging struggles is part of the process. Despite the fact that I'm not happy with my weight, I probably qualify as a success story. I've lost over 50 lbs and kept it off for over 5 years. This is round 2 I guess. Assuming it takes.

The statistics on weight loss are sobering. I'm too lazy to look them up now, but basically the number of people who can lose a substantial amount of weight and maintain that loss is statistically insignificant. I've heard (though not from a source I'd trust, although I believe the assertion) that the statistics on overcoming heroin addiction are much better than those for weight loss. Ultimately, it's exactly like money. It's about budgeting in vs out, and it's fraught with emotion and individual preference.

I'm an emotional eater, a boredom eater, a control eater, and a sugar addict. I've struggled with my weight nearly my entire life. I was sent to an endocrinologist and a nutritionist due to rapid weight gain when I was in first grade. By the time I graduated college I was nearly morbidly obese. Now I'm hovering just within sight of that 25 BMI (come on 160!)

It's really about lifestyle change. Sadly, you can never just diet and then go back to the way you were eating before. It's about finding diet and exercise changes you can committ to keeping long term.  I'll never forget how excited my doctor was about my weightloss and then watching her face fall when I said I spent 18 months being hungry in response to her question about how I did it. At some point though, those changes do become habit to an extent.

What works for me on a long term scale is weighing myself regularly and tracking weight and calories (I've been using my fitness pal). Whenever my weight starts creeping up I know it's time to reign things back in.

In the short term it's 1200 calories a day, self control, and putting out fires. Trying to keep myself busy and distracted. Trying to stick to nutritionally valuable foods. Cutting myself some slack in other areas so I have the mental energy to not eat crap. Planning out my whole days calories in the morning instead of trying to figure it out as I go. Weighing myself daily. Not hanging out in the kitchen. Lots of vegetables. Brushing my teeth to help curb the desire to snack. Stress, overtime, and lack of sleep just drain my self control and make it nearly impossible for me. I'm running very low on sleep and me time this week, and it's not helping.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:55:53 PM by neophyte »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2018, 05:59:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story, neophyte. You definitely sound like a success story to me! I edited my previous post to remove the specific quotes from you and Sun Hat, because I didn't intend to sound like I was singling you guys out; y'all were just the most recent commenters to mention the difficulty of weight loss.

Sadly, you can never just diet and then go back to the way you were eating before. It's about finding diet and exercise changes you can committ to keeping long term.

This is a meaty point for me. And probably the one that I'll have the hardest time with. I understand that the weight loss regime is for a limited time, which makes it easier. I can tolerate anything for a couple of months. Coming to grips with the fact that I'll have to make permanent changes to my diet to maintain my target weight is harder to accept.

I was always one who could eat whatever I wanted and never gain a pound. My dad always told me that when I turned 30 things were going to change. He is just an inch shorter than me, and he ballooned from 180 to 235 between ages 30 and 35. His prediction was a few years premature, but at 34 it's suddenly become apparent that my metabolism ain't what it used to be. I gained 13 lbs. over the last year and a half without doing anything different than I've done in the past. So things have to change, there's just no two ways about it. I'm a bit of a sugar addict myself, so I think priority No. 1 for me long term will be dealing with the sweet tooth.

Gilly

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
High of 191.6 lbs this week. Low of 188.2 lbs. Today exactly where I started the month 198.8.

One thing for me is I have long term and short term goals, so I have lots of chances to succeed. I am also willing to change them so I succeed. After a 6 week experiment on just weighing weekly I found that I do better with weighing daily or near daily. This allows me to pick the number that gives me the most pleasure.
For me success is the motivator. The more I succeed the better I do, so I also have goals of drink this amount or less, track accurately 6 out of 7 days, bike to work 4/5 days, run x amount, do yoga x amount, meet x out of y goals each week (so not achieving 1 goal isn't a failure, I only needed to achieve x to succeed!)
So find what motivates you and give yourself all the opportunities to meet that motivation.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
I'm finally making some progress, I'm down 1.8 lbs, only 3.2 more to go. Probably going to come up short again, but at least I'm setting goals and making some progress towards them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!