Author Topic: July Cycling Challenge 2016  (Read 5974 times)

jordanread

July Cycling Challenge 2016
« on: July 01, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »
The Cycling Challenge for July 2016 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

jordanread

Re: July Cycling Challenge 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
The question for this month is your favorite moment of the month.

Proto 'Stache, I don't have the time to modify the scripts to allow apostrophes for now. I went ahead and modified it to just read Proto Stache. If I start down the road of truly sanitizing the input and accounting for that, I will go all out and really don't have the time to do that right now. Once I do get those protections in place, I'll modify the history and everything so that it returns to the name with the ' in it. I also didn't get the time to switch up the order of the historical data (so that current month is up top), but it's on the list, and will hopefully be in place by next month.

Have a good one and be safe all!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
Off to a good start other than the flat and falling over at a crosswalk.  Rode a metric century on the first and an Imperial century today.  Beautiful ride along a rails to trails path. Nothing like kickstarting your month with 165mi :-).

Kronen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
Hi all!

New Mustachio and new biker here!  I'm looking to commute with my friend's old Trek Mountain bike 2 or more times a week as I budget up for my own bike and ebike conversion sometime early next year.

Looking forward to seeing all of your progress and plans!

All That Glitters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »
I'm in. I live in NYC and usually I spend $117 on an unlimited metrocard. I'm instead going to pay per ride and try to ride my bike enough to spend less than the unlimited card costs. Since I teach yoga I bounce around the city a lot. But that also means I can show up kinda sweaty. Last week I got started and biked over 100 miles. It's actually been really lovely to not be on the subway so much. I feel calmer and I'm seeing parts of the city I usually miss out on. I'm sort of wondering if I should wear some kind of face mask though, since I feel like I'm inhaling a lot of exhaust...

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 06:53:19 AM »
I actually had a nice interaction with a driver yesterday so I feel like I should write it down. I was waiting at a stop sign to turn left onto the main road but had to wait for a break in traffic. A guy in a low-riding Mustang pulled up behind me with his right blinker on, but didn't come up beside me to make the right turn (there was plenty of space). After a few seconds I waved him up. His window was down and he said "I didn't want to block your vision there." I said "thanks, but I can see right over you!" So he made his right turn, and then there was finally enough of a break in traffic for me to make my left. The end. :D

jordanread

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »
Gotta love good interactions with drivers!!

Kronen and All That Glitters, welcome to the gauntlet! The thread itself is relatively active each month, with some stories, a place to ask questions, etc. However, the big thing here is the spreadsheet. We do that every month, and those of us who've been doing it for a while usually just use that. Feel free to ask any questions, make any comments, etc. Glad yo have you.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 04:23:12 PM »

Kronen and All That Glitters, welcome to the gauntlet! The thread itself is relatively active each month, with some stories, a place to ask questions, etc. However, the big thing here is the spreadsheet. We do that every month, and those of us who've been doing it for a while usually just use that. Feel free to ask any questions, make any comments, etc. Glad yo have you.
And don't be intimidated by some of those that seem to put out large numbers all the time, we all have different goals, and different amount of time to commit to cycling.

All That Glitters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »

Thanks Jordan. I think I filled out the form correctly. Will I be automatically added to the spreadsheet? And when do I record my miles? End of month or along the way? Just carried a gnarly load of groceries home on my bike in the blazing sun ~ it was pretty real.

jordanread

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 06:51:35 PM »

Thanks Jordan. I think I filled out the form correctly. Will I be automatically added to the spreadsheet? And when do I record my miles? End of month or along the way? Just carried a gnarly load of groceries home on my bike in the blazing sun ~ it was pretty real.
You did fill out the form correctly, but the trigger didn't hit and create your sheet. I was waiting to see if any errors popped up, but none did. Can you just fill it out again? Your sheet should be created within a minute. If not, I'll look at it tomorrow.

jordanread

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 07:09:54 AM »
Team,

The triggers were corrupted somehow. I've added some additional safeguards so it won't happen again (hopefully). Nobody did anything wrong, and I ensured that the forms already submitted now have a sheet.

And when do I record my miles? End of month or along the way? Just carried a gnarly load of groceries home on my bike in the blazing sun ~ it was pretty real.

In response to this, it's completely up to you. Last month I entered my miles at the end of the month, but I usually enter them as I go. A few other people do. When I was using this to get my ass on the bike, I always tried to at least keep up with the average, and it was fun. Since that changes everyday, I found it fun to try to keep up. It's whatever you prefer though. I would suggest making sure they are in before the 1st of the next month, so the history imports correctly.

jordanread

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 08:18:20 AM »
Okay. I just got off the bus, started riding to the rail station. I saw some guy driving, and it was obvious he didn't see me, or his stop sign. I slowed down, and he slammed on his brakes (ahead of me coming perpendicularly to me). He was super embarrassed, rolled down his window to apologize, and said that he was running late for an eye appointment. I just started laughing. When he realized what it sounded like, he smiled and said "obvious, huh?"

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »
I have major biking fatigue this month (and last month). I've been bike commuting for years, and I'm just getting tired of it. Can anyone else relate?

There's less traffic in the summer and it makes is sooo much more tempting to just jump in the car and drive to work. Plus, half the time I have to drive the kids to whatever camp they're going to that week and it really breaks up the rhythm of our days.

I know, I know. First world problems . . .

Any advice on getting my mojo back?

jasonthelee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 10:44:18 PM »
Does the Summary Page of the spreadsheet seem screwy to anyone else?

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 04:28:53 AM »
Does the Summary Page of the spreadsheet seem screwy to anyone else?

Yeah, you stole my miles, dude! :-) :-p

Just kidding, but it did somehow get messed up. I traced it back to one anonymous edit on Sunday (at 6:33 PM Central Time; I can't work out how to link to a specific revision). But I didn't attempt to fix it, since I didn't want to overwrite anyone's subsequent changes and I'm not super familiar with revisions in Google Docs.

Jordan, could you take a look please? I think it's just the cell references for the "Biked Miles" column on the summary page that got out of order somehow.

jordanread

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 06:56:15 AM »
Yeah, that was odd. Someone tried to do a sort and disabled the integrated sort/filetering (the green box). That filter is what keeps the line items properly linked horizontally, so when it got removed and re-added, it went all wonky (this looks like the filter was removed, it was sorted, and the filter was re-added). Anyway, it should be good now. Sorry about that folks. No good way to lock it down and keep it useful.

I have major biking fatigue this month (and last month). I've been bike commuting for years, and I'm just getting tired of it. Can anyone else relate?

There's less traffic in the summer and it makes is sooo much more tempting to just jump in the car and drive to work. Plus, half the time I have to drive the kids to whatever camp they're going to that week and it really breaks up the rhythm of our days.

I know, I know. First world problems . . .

Any advice on getting my mojo back?

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. I drafted a reply in my head, but never actually posted it. Anyway, here it is:

I'm not one who really relies on mojo. When I'm not feeling it, I don't ever want to ride until I'm about a mile in. I just arrange it so that I don't have a choice to get started. So maybe taking out the fuse to your Air Conditioning in the car? Since it's cooler to ride at that point...might as well right?

Good_Juju

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 08:14:22 AM »
I'll join this challenge. I've been reading MMM for several months now, but this is my first time coming to the forums. I've really been enjoying the community here the last couple of days.

I've been trying to ride my bike to work a couple of times a week, and I recently got a grocery-getter bike so I don't have to chain up my fancy race bike. However, I ride recreationally and drive out to group rides or to trails, so I don't know if I should count those miles?

I'm just getting back on the bike after a couple weeks of being on hiatus. Had some medical issues that kept me off and then went and got really bad sunburn that kept me off my bike for about a week. Ready to get back in the saddle and I plan to commute to work tomorrow on my bike.

jordanread

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »
I've been trying to ride my bike to work a couple of times a week, and I recently got a grocery-getter bike so I don't have to chain up my fancy race bike. However, I ride recreationally and drive out to group rides or to trails, so I don't know if I should count those miles?

I'm just getting back on the bike after a couple weeks of being on hiatus. Had some medical issues that kept me off and then went and got really bad sunburn that kept me off my bike for about a week. Ready to get back in the saddle and I plan to commute to work tomorrow on my bike.

Glad to have you here! And yes, feel free to count those miles. I see you already chose the separate recreational miles out. They all count towards your total. Happy riding!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
I'll join this challenge. I've been reading MMM for several months now, but this is my first time coming to the forums. I've really been enjoying the community here the last couple of days.

Welcome to the challenge!  I also ride recreationally and race occasionally.  Looks like this month there is some fierce competition going on, spent four days off the bike being sick, and the whether has sucked this week so far, but should be putting the miles in again.

jasonthelee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 10:54:21 PM »
Yeah, that was odd. Someone tried to do a sort and disabled the integrated sort/filetering (the green box). That filter is what keeps the line items properly linked horizontally, so when it got removed and re-added, it went all wonky (this looks like the filter was removed, it was sorted, and the filter was re-added). Anyway, it should be good now. Sorry about that folks. No good way to lock it down and keep it useful.

Thanks and I appreciate you taking the time to run this.  It's a good motivator!

Good_Juju

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 07:06:36 AM »
Welcome to the challenge!  I also ride recreationally and race occasionally.  Looks like this month there is some fierce competition going on, spent four days off the bike being sick, and the whether has sucked this week so far, but should be putting the miles in again.

Thanks, Ohyonghao! I'm glad to hear that there are other people that race here. That is pretty cool. I've been pretty into mountain bike stuff lately and less into road, so I don't think those miles will compare well. Hope you're feeling better. I always get down when I'm sick from not being able to ride.

Glad to have you here! And yes, feel free to count those miles. I see you already chose the separate recreational miles out. They all count towards your total. Happy riding!
JordanRead, Thanks for the welcome! Are you pulling info from the gas buddy website for gas prices? That is so cool. Is there a way I can update my sheet to be for my area?

jordanread

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »
JordanRead, Thanks for the welcome! Are you pulling info from the gas buddy website for gas prices? That is so cool. Is there a way I can update my sheet to be for my area?

There is a way, but you'd have to do it every month, since the template just does the US average. The calculations on the main page will still use the US average, but if you want the $ saved by not driving on your sheet, here is what you have to do:

On your sheet, there is a little box off to the right. In order to maintain consistency, I would suggest changing the formula in column U4. Right now, it is going off of the gasbuddy data grabbed on the summary sheet. However, you can modify this to grab data for your specific region. I'm assuming you are in the US (although I'm not sure). I checked the zip code specific html, and if you change the formula in U4 to
=IMPORTXML("http://www.gasbuddy.com/?search=80910", "//div[@id='trend-by-site']/div[@class='col-xs-12']/div[@class='col-xs-12 box-shadow white-box']/div[@class='row']/div[@class='col-xs-12 bottom-buffer-sm']/div[@class='col-xs-12 col-sm-4'][1]/div[@class='text-center']/span[@class='gb-price-lg']")

It will work. 80910 is my zip code, so change that to yours. That will update the value on your sheet to the daily average for your zip code. However, this will change daily, including days that already passed. It should still give you a more accurate accounting. The only thing left to do is to modify the MPG (U2). That should change the value of U5 and U6. U6 is the number used to calculate the Amount Saved column. Hope that helps.

Good_Juju

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 06:37:47 PM »
Thanks Jordanread. I used that and it seems to work. Awesome spreadsheet.

jordanread

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 06:38:41 PM »
Thanks Jordanread. I used that and it seems to work. Awesome spreadsheet.
Glad you are enjoying it. Happy riding!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 12:24:37 AM »
Hello everyone, I spoke with Jordanread and got his blessing first, I know not everyone uses Strava, but there are a few of us that do, so I've started a MMM Cycling Challenge club on Strava to supplement this challenge.  For those of us on Strava we'll be able to see each others rides, weekly placing for miles, longest distance, and elevation gain.

I'm not a graphics designer, so if anyone wants to submit either a large logo, or a 248x248 icon, feel free to send it to me and I'll put it up.

I've made the club by invitation only, go to https://www.strava.com/clubs/MMMCyclingChallenge to request an invite and I'll add you to the club.  Of course, remember to log your miles here too to show off your badassity!

Ride on!

Good_Juju

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 04:51:02 AM »
Hello everyone, I spoke with Jordanread and got his blessing first, I know not everyone uses Strava, but there are a few of us that do, so I've started a MMM Cycling Challenge club on Strava to supplement this challenge.  For those of us on Strava we'll be able to see each others rides, weekly placing for miles, longest distance, and elevation gain.

I'm not a graphics designer, so if anyone wants to submit either a large logo, or a 248x248 icon, feel free to send it to me and I'll put it up.

I've made the club by invitation only, go to https://www.strava.com/clubs/MMMCyclingChallenge to request an invite and I'll add you to the club.  Of course, remember to log your miles here too to show off your badassity!

Ride on!

Cool. I'll join. Not a graphic artist?! Look at those mad paint skills!

jordanread

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
Kronen,

I noticed that for some reason the sheet didn't adjust for you. I saw that you filled out the form, but I'm not sure what happened with that. I went ahead and fixed it, and copied all of your data to the new, properly formatted sheet.

Since we continue to have some strange issues where first time users aren't being added correctly, I'm curious if there is a consistency to it. Are you filling the form out on mobile, or on a desktop?

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »
Wonderful ride on Sunday except almost crashing into an inattentive cyclist on the multiuse path.  Made 5th overall on a there and back segment, though only 131 people had attempted it as most people who get to the there part go to a local bar for refreshments before heading back, and also generally turn back before getting to the very end.  Very pleasant ride with few people out that early on a Sunday.  Might make this a standard Sunday ride for now on.

Apparently the adjustment of my cleats last week has caused an issue with my seat now being too high as after I had come back from the ride, and throughout yesterday and a little bit of today, my Achilles tendon has been a bit sore, and hurts to go up and down stairs.  Took yesterday off to rest it, and did a little riding today where at first it felt a little painful, but by the end was feeling fine.  Seems to hurt more when sprinting out of the saddle.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 05:10:06 PM »
Dang, I used to ride close to 10000 miles a year when I was a road racer. I've rode about 1 mile this year lol. Need to get back into it.

Faramir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 03:58:19 AM »
Some very impressive mileages here, well done. 

I included myself this month for the first time as I did my first bike tour which was 2 weeks long and knew this would be the first month I wouldn't embarrass myself.  I reckon if I hadn't cycled these tour miles I'm sure they'd have been replaced with thousands of flying miles as I normally would when taking 2 weeks' leave from work.

May the wind always be at your back.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »
Some very impressive mileages here, well done. 

I included myself this month for the first time as I did my first bike tour which was 2 weeks long and knew this would be the first month I wouldn't embarrass myself.  I reckon if I hadn't cycled these tour miles I'm sure they'd have been replaced with thousands of flying miles as I normally would when taking 2 weeks' leave from work.

May the wind always be at your back.
Welcome to the challenge!  Nothing to be embarrassed about here as long as you get on a bike once in awhile, some even participate on spin machines. High mileage isn't a requirement, having fun is.

jordanread

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 07:09:21 PM »
Folks, I didn't forget, just haven't had a spare moment. New month will up in the morning

jordanread

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
Okay, I'm neck deep in doing a bit of a redesign, but it will be up. I will work on it tonight, and in the morning. Sorry about this. Life is kind of crazy right now as far as finding time to do anything.

Kronen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 10:11:17 AM »
Hi!  I was filling out the form using a mix of the two.  Usually on desktop but occasionally mobile as well.  Sorry for any confusion!

jordanread

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Hi!  I was filling out the form using a mix of the two.  Usually on desktop but occasionally mobile as well.  Sorry for any confusion!

Not a problem. You can definitely use a mix of the two, and I do too, but maybe just fill out the form on the desktop if at all possible. I think that's part of what is going on. You won't have the opportunity to test that anytime soon (since you are being added automatically now), but just something I need to remember at some point.

Anyway all, going way over schedule, the new challenge is up and located here!!

Sorry for the delay.