Author Topic: July Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 13133 times)

jordanread

July Cycling Challenge 2015
« on: July 02, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
The cycling challenge for July 2015 is up and ready for you!!

If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.

You can access the sheet at this link.

I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.

Happy Cycling!!

jordanread

Re: July Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »
I'm not going to do the fun metrics just yet, but last month we logged 10,290.3 miles with 52 participants. Way to kick ass everyone!! Glad to see some new forum members, as well as people who have been around for a bit join in!!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »
I'm in. Might as well go for 2 months biking every day to work. Taking the bus at this point seems depressing in comparison.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 04:31:37 PM »
I'm in. Might as well go for 2 months biking every day to work. Taking the bus at this point seems depressing in comparison.

I get the same feeling if I ever drive my car to work.  One day before leaving for work I realized my bike had a flat tire.  My wife suggested I should just take the car.  Instead I sent out an email saying I would be late to work.  After I got to work and told my coworker I had a flat she asked why I didn't just take my bike?  I was like, "well, the flat was on the bike, I had to repair it quickly before coming to work."  I'm assuming she thought the flat tire was on my car.

This week I started cycling to my races and have joined a team.  I found out while registering that I don't have to pay for my race anymore because the team covers it!  This is when I get to have my cake and eat it too.  Not only am I logging about 50mi on Tuesday's due to riding to and from the event, plus the race itself, but I no longer have to pay for it, other than the advertising on my body.  Hoping to break 600mi this month.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 05:45:50 PM »

I get the same feeling if I ever drive my car to work.  One day before leaving for work I realized my bike had a flat tire.  My wife suggested I should just take the car.  Instead I sent out an email saying I would be late to work.  After I got to work and told my coworker I had a flat she asked why I didn't just take my bike?  I was like, "well, the flat was on the bike, I had to repair it quickly before coming to work."  I'm assuming she thought the flat tire was on my car.

This week I started cycling to my races and have joined a team.  I found out while registering that I don't have to pay for my race anymore because the team covers it!  This is when I get to have my cake and eat it too.  Not only am I logging about 50mi on Tuesday's due to riding to and from the event, plus the race itself, but I no longer have to pay for it, other than the advertising on my body.  Hoping to break 600mi this month.

You also need to keep an eye out for PB&J's on your commute (this photo is not my original)

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
Biked to Atlantic City today. 76 miles. Not to hot or humid, but a breeze would have been nice. Took the train back to Philadelphia and added another 10.8 miles on the way home from the station.

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:27:55 AM »
Womp, womp, womp!

Flat tire in the way to work this morning. First one of the year. Fortunately, I was just a mile from the office.

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 07:35:27 AM »
I'm in! I have a gash in my tire that I should probably look into...

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
Did not get much cycling in this weekend, but! My BF and I went hiking yesterday in a place close to our house, and when we got there he said, "Could we have gotten here on bikes?" and I said, "Yes, but I figured that I would take it easy on you and work up to that..." Next time I go alone I will *definitely* be biking, and I may try to lure him out as well.

Meanwhile, my big heavy cruiser bike just keeps giving me trouble... it's so pretty and fun to ride (and I am getting incredibly strong!), but the internally-geared hub seems to need constant attention and adjustments, which is exactly the opposite of what I hoped for and expected from internal gears. I'm going to swing by my favorite bike shop today and see if they can offer any suggestions.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:35:30 AM »

I get the same feeling if I ever drive my car to work. 

I actually left the car at my office all weekend, for the first time, because the thought of not getting to bike home on Friday evening seemed like such a bummer. Meant I got groceries on the bike instead of in the car, which was lovely (though a reminder that I really need a rear rack!). Biking in this morning was a treat I don't usually get on Monday mornings.

TrMama

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 11:07:02 AM »
WooHoo! First family bike ride this weekend with my youngest on her own bike. She did great! Normally she rides the trail-a-bike but she's getting too big. This biggest problem was figuring out which kid got to lead. They are so competitive.

I'm soooo looking forward to when she gets confident enough to ride the 20" geared bike. Then we'll really be able to go places!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
I'm working at a different office building now (same company) - it's nearby but I can take a slightly different route to get there. More paths, fewer roads, and no more bike-ignoring stoplights! Plus, at the new building, they let me park my bike inside in the lobby with the security guard.

crapula

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 07:07:15 AM »
You also need to keep an eye out for PB&J's on your commute (this photo is not my original)

Well, PB&J is usually my post-bike snack at work, so this might actually save me some time.

crapula

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 07:08:33 AM »
Thanks again for putting this together, Jordan!

Hoping to get more miles this month than last.  I was supposed to go on a bike camping trip with some buddies, but weather forced some to chicken out.  Hopefully it happens this month.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 09:09:20 AM »
I'm slacking this month in bicycle riding but getting my fitness done. My workouts and food prep is making me run late so I have to drive my motorcycle to work. It's a bit faster and I really don't want to be late. 5 am is already early enough to get up so I need to figure out my breakfast meal prep so I can ride my bicycle.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »
First wreck today. My back brakes weren't working well, so when I had to hit my brakes hard, I went over my handlebars. Just a few scrapes and bruises luckily. I'm so glad it wasn't bad!

jordanread

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 10:03:19 AM »
First wreck today. My back brakes weren't working well, so when I had to hit my brakes hard, I went over my handlebars. Just a few scrapes and bruises luckily. I'm so glad it wasn't bad!
Glad you are okay. Can you put your front brake pads on the rear? Might be a good stop gap solution.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »
Glad you are okay. Can you put your front brake pads on the rear? Might be a good stop gap solution.

Thanks! Good idea.

TrMama

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 02:51:39 PM »

Ack! Glad you're OK. Take it easy tomorrow until you know whether you gave yourself whiplash or not.

And get those brakes fixed.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »

Thanks! Good idea.

This guy says you should be using your front brakes most of the time anyways: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

In my experience (disclaimer: I am just one guy that doesn't try to stop ASAP all that often) I find his advice to be true. I can slam the brakes really hard, but I always brace for it. Never gone over the handlebars. Keep your center of gravity low and as far back as possible. Some people even get out of the saddle and stick their butt back behind the end of the saddle while braking to shift their center of gravity backwards as much as possible.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 04:09:03 PM »
Yeah, the only times I ever use the rear brake are:

1. Going downhill in shit weather (particularly snow/ice)
2. Going downhill with a heavy trailer in any weather.

In both cases, the rear brake is more for bleeding speed than actually stopping to a full stop.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »
I even changed my handle bar brakes around so my front brake is my right hand, allows me to use the front brake while still signaling with my left hand.  Disclaimer, I have never flipped over my handlebars, but have also never had to stop quickly, nor been in a wreck.

Doing well this week with my new frame.  Got some PR's and KOM's on Thursday's group ride.  Felt pretty good.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 12:37:20 AM »
The problem was also that I wasn't leaning back. Turns out I also sprained my wrist and bruised my ribs. I'll just have to keep off my bike for a week.

Thanks for the support and insight! I mostly use my front brakes, but I've never stopped so fast before. I stopped faster than I needed to as well.

Nancy

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 07:20:13 AM »
Sorry about the fall and injuries! I went over my handlebars when I hit my brakes right as my front tire lodged in a pot hole, bringing the front of my bike to a sudden and complete stop. I was on the ground without ever having the sensation of falling.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
Sorry about the fall and injuries! I went over my handlebars when I hit my brakes right as my front tire lodged in a pot hole, bringing the front of my bike to a sudden and complete stop. I was on the ground without ever having the sensation of falling.

I was riding in a small group, and a fairly slow pace after a meeting while in Taiwan, when I looked back and one of the women in the group suddenly went flying over the handlebars.  It was sort of funny to see, and luckily she wasn't injured.  What had happened is they had "fixed" a noise on her bicycle a few days ago maybe, but their fix was removing something that kept the fender in place.  This fender was spring loaded basically, as the stays on the fender were coiled by the bolt.  I believe the thing they removed was the bolt that holds the fender at the top.  Without that when she hit a pothole, or something, the fender had bounced loose and, due to the coils on the stays, sprung backwards into her tire causing it to suddenly stop, and her to start flying.

Nancy

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »
Oooh! That's a bad DIY fix. Must have looked crazy.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »
Went to the races last night again.  This time I decided to take the Max at a stop closer to my house so I didn't have to ride so far before racing.  But I get to the Max station and I sit there for something like 10 minutes waiting for the light rail train to get there, I'm thinking, I could just ride up to where I normally go and be there faster.  I get on the Max and sit there, thinking, I could have ridden there by the time I get there.  Seems ironic for a guy dressed in racing clothes with a nice bike to be sitting on a train for 30 minutes, but I sit through it, and eventually make it to the race.

On the way home I ride back to the stop just before the hill and get ready to wait a little bit, pull out my phone and check when the next train will be in.  Currently tracking is unavailable, and the next train may be in 30 minutes, but they aren't sure where it is.  I see that normally the train runs every 10 minutes.  So not trusting that if I wait 30 minutes that the train will come I decide to just ride home.  I tell my Garmin to make a route from where I am to my house, which looked to be about 13mi, but it gave me a route that was 16.8mi, okay, no biggie, I'll start riding.

I get past the freeways and it directs me up this little road and I see it's a bit of a climb, not long, and averaging about 6-8% grade.  I get to the "top" and it says turn right, and I'm thinking "no fucking way", start going up the hill and see 14%, 16% even up to 18% grade, switch back, keep going, and just as I think I reached the "top" it says turn right, and there is yet another hill.  This repeats a couple times before I hit a short downhill part, after about 1.5 mi with an average of 7.3% grade, but really the last 0.8mi averaged 10.8%.  I get a little respite, a short climb up, a little more downhill then a last 0.5 mi to the real top at 6.6% grade, then I finally get the downhill.  Having never ridden this descent I took it a little slow, but managed to get down.  Finally make it back to familiar territory and start fighting against a 13-15mph head wind the last 9 mi home.  At this point I'm not sure it was faster, really depends on if they found the train or not, but the miles made up for the missed miles on the way there.

The best feeling was being able to climb that hill without too much trouble, even after having raced just before that.  It felt pretty badass.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 08:15:19 PM »
Appreciate the tale sir, sounds badass indeed!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 07:54:12 AM »
Still keeping up with my goal to cycle to work every day this month. Today it started raining about 50 feet from my house, but just a tiny bit, so I kept going. Rain gear was in my backpack if it got worse, and I was wearing my water resistant sailing jacket. It was very refreshing, but chilly. It started raining a little harder about 2 blocks from work and I'm a bit wet, but totally worth it.

TrMama

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 08:58:15 PM »
Today's mileage included a 6.5 lb gain in blackberries. First of the season :-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:44:15 PM by TrMama »

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 06:50:03 PM »
Finally got around to entering my mileage.  I'll be low this month due to the holiday and a week of staycationing.  =)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 10:43:50 PM »
Finally got around to entering my mileage.  I'll be low this month due to the holiday and a week of staycationing.  =)

My staycation last year involved 10 days of 30 miles a day in December/January :-D  Some people call me crazy though.

Had a week off of cycling due to some health issues, but seem to be recovered now.  Got to go out to the races again tonight, it was a tough bunch.  Felt like the Tour de France out there.  A strong group took off and lead a successful breakaway on the second lap, me and 3 others lead a successful chase and caught them, with the other group lagging behind.  A couple more unsuccessful attempts by some at a second breakaway, then we were at the finish line.  Won't know how I did until tomorrow, but I think I took 12th or so out of around 40 starters.

My sweetheart's been doing well with running some small errands around town on her bike.  She'll go to Walgreens, or Target, all about a mile away, or her furthest distance is near the Winco at about 2-2.5mi.  Still great to see her out and about on the bike.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 06:40:43 AM »
I had a chain break on one of our other bikes. I tried to use the walmart kit to fix it. I managed to break the chain breaker. Bought another kit and at the same time saw walmart had new chain for like $9, so I bought it also. The instructions tell you how to run the chain and connect the master link. They say to "bend" the piece and it will "snap" in. Yeah that never happened nor do I see with the one I bought that it would ever snap in. So I used the new chain tool to take it out. Figured I would take the master out and just use a regular link. Yeah that didn't work right either. The chain link bent as I was connecting them. I'm ready to throw that bike away and two others that are old, heavy, and no one rarely rides them anyway. I am sure they are worth about $0. Very frustrated at this point.

I bought my wife another mt bike for $100 off craigslist. It's a Giant Rincon. I don't really care for it much but it was cheap and she seems to like it. Of course it won't fit my bike carrier very well because the main bar is at an angle instead of straight across. I got it to fit on the car carrier but it's a pain. I can throw it in the back of the truck easy enough though . It seems to be a nice heavy duty bike and will work well for any rough trails we ride and we can take it camping with us.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »
Did the NCR (about 15 min north of Baltimore) and almost all of the York County (PA) Heritage Trail. 80 miles RT - new personal best! The last 25 were pretty miserable, more because of arm soreness/fatigue, though my legs were pretty soggy. Really neat trails though. The surface in PA is better, but the MD trail is arguably more scenic with lots of river views - and people use the trail at points for accessing the river to do tubing and canoeing.

Would highly recommend the trails to those in the area or traveling through.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »

My staycation last year involved 10 days of 30 miles a day in December/January :-D  Some people call me crazy though.

I did ride my bike to the hardware store at least once during the staycation - after all it was a staycation where was turning gorgeous plywood into kitchen cabinetry.  Some people call me crazy though.  =)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
I had a chain break on one of our other bikes. I tried to use the walmart kit to fix it. I managed to break the chain breaker. Bought another kit and at the same time saw walmart had new chain for like $9, so I bought it also. The instructions tell you how to run the chain and connect the master link. They say to "bend" the piece and it will "snap" in. Yeah that never happened nor do I see with the one I bought that it would ever snap in. So I used the new chain tool to take it out. Figured I would take the master out and just use a regular link. Yeah that didn't work right either. The chain link bent as I was connecting them. I'm ready to throw that bike away and two others that are old, heavy, and no one rarely rides them anyway. I am sure they are worth about $0. Very frustrated at this point.

I bought my wife another mt bike for $100 off craigslist. It's a Giant Rincon. I don't really care for it much but it was cheap and she seems to like it. Of course it won't fit my bike carrier very well because the main bar is at an angle instead of straight across. I got it to fit on the car carrier but it's a pain. I can throw it in the back of the truck easy enough though . It seems to be a nice heavy duty bike and will work well for any rough trails we ride and we can take it camping with us.

I've never had any issues with KMC chains and master links. Just make sure to get the correct speed chain. There's no tool to install the link, it's locked in by chain tension. Park Tools sells a good master link pliers. The only thing I use the chain link tool is to remove extra links to shorten chains (new ones are often longer than the existing chain on the bike).

For the bike that doesn't fit the rack, Yakima sells something called a "tube top" to get bikes with oddly shaped or mixte style top tubes to fit on racks. Other brands might have something or you could fab something as well but I knew about that one.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 05:02:56 PM »

I've never had any issues with KMC chains and master links. Just make sure to get the correct speed chain. There's no tool to install the link, it's locked in by chain tension. Park Tools sells a good master link pliers. The only thing I use the chain link tool is to remove extra links to shorten chains (new ones are often longer than the existing chain on the bike).

For the bike that doesn't fit the rack, Yakima sells something called a "tube top" to get bikes with oddly shaped or mixte style top tubes to fit on racks. Other brands might have something or you could fab something as well but I knew about that one.

I've had to adjust and remove my chain too much recently.  Learned a lot about them though, and now it doesn't take nearly as long as the first time.  I have a master link on my commuter, like our chief goblin mentioned it's just held on by tension after running it around a couple times.  Tension happens between the rear cassette and the big ring on front, which would be the top line, and you could hold the rear brake slightly, or shift to a higher gear to add a bit more when you first put it on.  Master links should be changed with the chain and not reused on a new chain.

What they probably meant by bending it was to unstiffen the link which can happen when you just put it on.  When the link is a little stiff it might not turn as it goes through the rear derailleur and cassette and can cause a false shift or chain skipping.  Folding it into a Z shape and twisting lightly can loosen it and then you should notice that the links will turn like all the others in line.

A good way to test if the chain is long enough is to wrap it around the large cog in the back, and the big chain ring in the front without going through the rear derailleur.  It should over lap by a link or two; a link being defined as both the inner and outer parts together.  This will guarantee that you can shift into the lowest rear gear while in the largest front.  You could also check against the length of the old chain for starters if you know the old chain was the right size.

Pro tip, when stringing it through the rear derailleur, make sure you route it correctly through the tabs or else you might have you chain skip while under load and only be able to scale a large hill while in the big ring because you didn't put your tools back in the saddle bag but instead left them on the work bench in your garage.

jordanread

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 06:26:01 PM »
Pro tip, when stringing it through the rear derailleur, make sure you route it correctly through the tabs or else you might have you chain skip while under load and only be able to scale a large hill while in the big ring because you didn't put your tools back in the saddle bag but instead left them on the work bench in your garage.

Bwahahahaha. I've totally done that.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »
I got to check out my new local bike shop yesterday because my front brake had started rubbing on the rim. The guy diagnosed the problem, adjusted the brake, took my $20, and I was out of there in 15 min. It was great!

It was kind of funny, though - this shop is geared toward racers, and when the front desk guy was leading me back to the service area he yelled out "Hey Jim, can you come help this customer? She's obviously a commuter." Gee, was it my reflective vest or the little bell on my handlebar that tipped you off? Other than that everyone was really nice, though.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Only spent 1 week off the bike after my wreck! I bought a $2 wrist support that I've been wearing on my commute (with 57.6 miles logged this week, it has already paid for itself).

I'll be traveling for business next week, so this month will be a really low month for me.

I would just like to say how much I have enjoyed this challenge. It has been beneficial to me on many levels: I've enjoyed getting more exercise than I have had in years; I've needed the chance for meditation (my dad is battling cancer and loosing); I've been able to carpool to work with a good friend (he drives me to work everyday and I ride my bike home-he won't let me pay him back); and I avoid the harmful effects of driving myself to work. I'm never going back.

TrMama

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 10:48:07 AM »
I miss my bike commute. I've been driving this week so I can take my kids to/from their summer daycamp. It's on the same block as my office, so biking doesn't make sense. There'll be more driving next week too, since I'm carpooling 3 kids total in the morning.

On the bright side, I've been  using the bike to get to the best blackberry patches in the evenings. I'm up to 20lbs total so far.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »
I miss my bike commute. I've been driving this week so I can take my kids to/from their summer daycamp. It's on the same block as my office, so biking doesn't make sense. There'll be more driving next week too, since I'm carpooling 3 kids total in the morning.

On the bright side, I've been  using the bike to get to the best blackberry patches in the evenings. I'm up to 20lbs total so far.

That's awesome.  After having some cultivated blackberries this year from a CSA, I'd say I like the wild blackberries better.

I pulled something in my chest a couple weeks ago and have been dealing with it since.  Haven't gotten as much riding in as I'd like.  Today I have a lot of errands to run after work which should add about 10 miles or so to my numbers this week.

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »
To get to pretty much anything within 10 miles of home, I will use the bike. The exceptions are the laundromat (1.1 miles) and Wal-mart (4.4 miles). I have been thinking about getting a trailer, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I do have racks and panniers on my commuting/touring bike. So on Saturday I decided to bike to Wal-mart for my fortnightly grocery shopping. (There is a produce market 1 mile from where I live that I pick up fruit and vegetables at and a more expensive grocery just a half mile away that I will go for milk and eggs if I run out)

It seems 2 weeks of groceries (even skipping the milk) was too much. I was able to fit in, but had to use a backpack. The bike was pretty unwieldy and I think I was averaging about 7mph on the way home.  I think if I go every week and just get just 7 days worth of food I will be okay.

Or I can always get that bike trailer.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »
To get to pretty much anything within 10 miles of home, I will use the bike. The exceptions are the laundromat (1.1 miles) and Wal-mart (4.4 miles). I have been thinking about getting a trailer, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I do have racks and panniers on my commuting/touring bike. So on Saturday I decided to bike to Wal-mart for my fortnightly grocery shopping. (There is a produce market 1 mile from where I live that I pick up fruit and vegetables at and a more expensive grocery just a half mile away that I will go for milk and eggs if I run out)

It seems 2 weeks of groceries (even skipping the milk) was too much. I was able to fit in, but had to use a backpack. The bike was pretty unwieldy and I think I was averaging about 7mph on the way home.  I think if I go every week and just get just 7 days worth of food I will be okay.

Something I used to do when I didn't have a car was make an every-other-month or so "heavy groceries" run. So I use the car and stock up on the heavy stuff (and bulky stuff). Then I would really only buy produce, dairy, and meat/tofu on my regular grocery runs. It takes more planning, but it was worth it to not have to haul a few heavy things every week.

TrMama

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »

I really like my trailer. Since I'm buying groceries for a family of 4, panniers really don't cut it. If you can find a cheap one, grab it.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2015, 06:28:28 AM »
I think I figured out the new chain. I found the new one was too long so I shortened it. Then I put the master link back in and using a pair of needle nose pliers I got it to snap shut.

We are leaving for Sturgis on Friday and we will take two of the mt bikes. We work out even while on vacation and we have noticed a nice trail near our campground. We will take at least one morning or evening and go ride the trail for a bit.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2015, 08:53:06 AM »
Haven't been riding much because I've been traveling and we were busy buying a new house and moving and all that jazz.

Today was the first day commuting with the new, longer commute. About 7.75 miles one way and it took 25 minutes this morning with a couple stoplights. The way home will be somewhat slower since afternoon winds are usually working against me in that direction and it is ever so slightly uphill.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »
I think I figured out the new chain. I found the new one was too long so I shortened it. Then I put the master link back in and using a pair of needle nose pliers I got it to snap shut.

I changed my chain last night (last one snapped after way too many miles on it). I was dumb and didn't check the slack and realized when I started off this morning that it was way too slack. I have a 2X10 drivetrain and the small chainring posed problems, but the big chain ring was good today. I'll need to take a link or two out, but until then...Sur la Plaque.

TrMama

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2015, 11:10:56 AM »

I changed my chain last night (last one snapped after way too many miles on it). I was dumb and didn't check the slack and realized when I started off this morning that it was way too slack. I have a 2X10 drivetrain and the small chainring posed problems, but the big chain ring was good today. I'll need to take a link or two out, but until then...Sur la Plaque.

My low-tech strategy for figuring out the length of a new chain is to lay the old chain and the new chain on the workbench next to each other. Line them up and split the new chain so it has the exact same number of links as the old one, remembering to add one link if you're replacing a broken chain. Never fails.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »

My low-tech strategy for figuring out the length of a new chain is to lay the old chain and the new chain on the workbench next to each other. Line them up and split the new chain so it has the exact same number of links as the old one, remembering to add one link if you're replacing a broken chain. Never fails.

Yeah, this was mostly just me being dumb and not checking it. The broken chain was thrown in a garbage somewhere though when it snapped off. I could have kept it and just replaced a link, but it was in serious need of being replaced anyway. It's been through some cyclocross races so it's been ridden off-road and pretty hard. I suppose parts need replaced even if you try to take good care of them.