Author Topic: July Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 13131 times)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
Re: July Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 09:23:40 AM »
I think I figured out the new chain. I found the new one was too long so I shortened it. Then I put the master link back in and using a pair of needle nose pliers I got it to snap shut.

I changed my chain last night (last one snapped after way too many miles on it). I was dumb and didn't check the slack and realized when I started off this morning that it was way too slack. I have a 2X10 drivetrain and the small chainring posed problems, but the big chain ring was good today. I'll need to take a link or two out, but until then...Sur la Plaque.

My low-tech strategy for figuring out the length of a new chain is to lay the old chain and the new chain on the workbench next to each other. Line them up and split the new chain so it has the exact same number of links as the old one, remembering to add one link if you're replacing a broken chain. Never fails.

Yeah, this was mostly just me being dumb and not checking it. The broken chain was thrown in a garbage somewhere though when it snapped off. I could have kept it and just replaced a link, but it was in serious need of being replaced anyway. It's been through some cyclocross races so it's been ridden off-road and pretty hard. I suppose parts need replaced even if you try to take good care of them.

The garbage is exactly why I've had to find other ways to figure out the length for the chain.  I threw mine away the first time I changed it, and the garbage went out that same day.  You'd have thought I'd learn my lesson the first time, but when my road bike needed a new chain I did the same thing.  So now the question is if my current chain would be a good template.  I suppose since it's working it should be.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 09:41:56 PM »
I have to admit my old chains are all sitting in a bag in my basement. Is throwing them away the only option? Seems like a waste/potentially hazardous. Though certainly nothing compared to what cars use.

Nancy

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:25 AM »
You can bring your chain to a metals recycling facility (scrap yard). Or you can make sculptures out of it like Seo Young Deok.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »
Weather was fantastic yesterday at about 100F.  Finally got back out to doing group rides on Thursday.  Pulling a chest muscle was no fun and drove me insane not being able to exercise.  This month was sort of disappointing with over half of it not being able to do my normal load of riding.  Tomorrow I plan on getting at least a half century in, if not more.  Great weather for the weekend too.

jordanread

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »
I'll get August's spreadsheet up either later tonight or in the morning. I'll post here when it's done.

jordanread

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
New challenge is up!! Check it out here!

Happy cycling!!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!