Author Topic: July Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 27083 times)

wiggam007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: July Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
Well, the few rides I have been on have definitely been getting better (although it is still pretty clear how out of shape I am.)  I just bought one of those odometer/trip meters so that I can better track my mileage.  So my goal is to push the odometer to over 100 by the end of the month.  Since it only reflects part of the rides I have done so far, it only has 3.5 miles on it, 96.5 to go for the next two weeks.

jordanread

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »
We have an organization that fixes bikes in my city and takes them as donations for those who can't afford.  I found out the evening they are open and think I will volunteer to help when I can.  Win win I get to help the organization do whatever they need and can possibly get my bike tuned up for reasonable cost.  I donated 2 bikes I got from rentals there already this year.

That's awesome!! There was some crazy guy in Colorado Springs who used to do that. Not a formal thing in the least. I think he was squatting in a warehouse that he took over. You could bring a bike down, dig through his bins of spare parts, and he'd tell you how to fix your own bike. I went there when I was about 14. Guy was off his rocker nuts, but he knew bikes. I love little places like that.

winstonsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »
Hi All,

Just added myself and filled in my sheet for the month, but I am not showing up on the master summary.  Do I need to save or do anything specific on my own sheet to make sure it tracks with the totals?

Thanks,

-winston

jordanread

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
Hi All,

Just added myself and filled in my sheet for the month, but I am not showing up on the master summary.  Do I need to save or do anything specific on my own sheet to make sure it tracks with the totals?

Thanks,

-winston

Did you add yourself through the form? Or manually?

winstonsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:02 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks,

-winston

I used the form where i gave my username and unit of measurement.  I hope I did this correctly.  Thanks for replying.

jordanread

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks,

-winston

I used the form where i gave my username and unit of measurement.  I hope I did this correctly.  Thanks for replying.

Shit. You did everything just right, but we managed to hit the built in limit on the number of users. This is going away next month, but let me see if I can't get you added. When I inherited the sheet, there was a set range on the Master List, and I figured we'd hit the limit eventually, so next months can take any number of users. I guess we're better than I thought. Just keep updating your sheet and I'll add you to the Master List once I arbitrarily extend that bit.

TrMama

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
I miss my bike! Driving sucks.

I'm on day 3 of clown car commuting due to signing the kids up for a specific summer camp across town. Not only do I have to drive, but I have to negotiate the most congested  section of the city to get there, and back, every day.

The camp has been great for them, but I can't wait till it's over.

jordanread

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks,

-winston

Shit. You did everything just right, but we managed to hit the built in limit on the number of users. This is going away next month, but let me see if I can't get you added. When I inherited the sheet, there was a set range on the Master List, and I figured we'd hit the limit eventually, so next months can take any number of users. I guess we're better than I thought. Just keep updating your sheet and I'll add you to the Master List once I arbitrarily extend that bit.

All right, you should be set. Sorry for the inconvenience.

jordanread

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »

I'm on day 3 of clown car commuting due to signing the kids up for a specific summer camp across town. Not only do I have to drive, but I have to negotiate the most congested  section of the city to get there, and back, every day.

I have been sucking this month, too. These last 3 weeks have been sunup to sundown tasks, without having enough time to bike between them. Ideally, I should be done this week, and can get back on the bike soon. I did manage some fun weekend trips and getting the GF used to running errands via bike, so that's good, but my commute has been shot.

winstonsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »
Thanks jordanread.  The spreadsheet is pretty darn sweet by the way. 

I will keep logging the miles (on my bike and on the sheet).

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »
Quick question so I don't screw up the new sheet- Is the form supposed to automatically add me to the summary sheet as well? Or is that DIY? I created my sheet but I can't find my name in the summary tab list.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »
First ride in 11 days for me (sickness, then a wound infection, then a broken bike). I still don't have my proper bike yet, but managed to ride 3 miles with the kids on this:

winstonsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Quick question so I don't screw up the new sheet- Is the form supposed to automatically add me to the summary sheet as well? Or is that DIY? I created my sheet but I can't find my name in the summary tab list.

Hi,

I had the same problem, and jordanread set me up.  July's spreadsheet can only handle so many new users, so he had to add me to the summary sheet (it wasn't automatic).

If you use the form to sign up and update your page of the spreadsheet, I'm sure you will be added to the summary page soon!

Hope this helps.

-winston

jordanread

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
I got you added. Just for the record, I think we broke our previous record for number of participants.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:25 PM »
Ouch, I just got into my first bike entanglement.
Was cruising along 20mph (ish, it was right at the bottom of a quick down slope) through a tunnel underpass. I was behind and a bit to the right of the biker in front of me.
They start braking hard and veer right. I brake hard, shout, shout, veer right and slam in to the wall and go tumbling off my bike.
The other biker was thankfully okay.

Got a big burn on my bottom, and some cuts and swelling in a few fingers. The seat of my bike came off the rails, and no amount of pulling or bending can get it fitted back on. I tied it down to the rails and shakily made my way back home.

TrMama

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »
Ouch, I just got into my first bike entanglement.
Was cruising along 20mph (ish, it was right at the bottom of a quick down slope) through a tunnel underpass. I was behind and a bit to the right of the biker in front of me.
They start braking hard and veer right. I brake hard, shout, shout, veer right and slam in to the wall and go tumbling off my bike.
The other biker was thankfully okay.

Got a big burn on my bottom, and some cuts and swelling in a few fingers. The seat of my bike came off the rails, and no amount of pulling or bending can get it fitted back on. I tied it down to the rails and shakily made my way back home.

Ouch! I hope you're not too sore today. Take it easy for the next couple days. I learned last summer that crashing a bike can cause whiplash. Or rather, hitting the pavement hard can cause whiplash . . .

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
First ride in 11 days for me (sickness, then a wound infection, then a broken bike). I still don't have my proper bike yet, but managed to ride 3 miles with the kids on this:

Sorry to hear you were out of the saddle so long. I hear you on the sub-par backup bike, but at least it's something!

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »

My oldest is in a summer camp for 2 separate weeks, and I have the opposite problem because the bike is my only practical option.  When I signed him up, I knew that this day camp was less than 5 km away from our house, and that it was the opposite direction from daycare, but I forgot to consider that it's at the top of an exceptionally steep and tall hill - in the last 500 m we go vertically upwards 50 m, which makes it a 10% grade.  We usually have the cargo bike and we just walk up the steepest part, although I was able to ride the whole way once when I brought my fast bike with the (empty) trail-a-bike to pick him up at the end of the day.  It has given me a huge bump in my weekly mileage, which makes for a fun adventure.

Hope you're back on your bike again soon!

SoCalLadyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
I'm brand new to the forum and am late to the game, but I just added my name manually to the spreadsheet. Hope that is not messing things up.

Just started biking home from work 4 days a week and I love it!

usmarine1975

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2014, 06:00:55 AM »
I readjusted my mileage.  I did a map of my route on Google and it differs from what my odometer on the truck states.  A couple reason's for this.  I may not have started looking at my odometer right away and the route may be a little different then what I take with the truck.

What do you use to track your mileage if you do not have a measuring device on your bike?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2014, 08:03:58 AM »
I readjusted my mileage.  I did a map of my route on Google and it differs from what my odometer on the truck states.  A couple reason's for this.  I may not have started looking at my odometer right away and the route may be a little different then what I take with the truck.

What do you use to track your mileage if you do not have a measuring device on your bike?

Google Maps afterwards. A bit annoying to try and approximate off-road bike trails, even when they're "mapped" on their system, but good enough. If you ride the same routes a lot, just write them down so you remember route x is 2.3 miles, etc.

If you have a smartphone with GPS, RunKeeper or Strava are popular choices.

jordanread

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2014, 08:33:07 AM »
I'm brand new to the forum and am late to the game, but I just added my name manually to the spreadsheet. Hope that is not messing things up.

Just started biking home from work 4 days a week and I love it!

I went ahead and got everything fixed. All you need to do is update your sheet, and the master will be updated automatically.

usmarine1975

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »

Google Maps afterwards. A bit annoying to try and approximate off-road bike trails, even when they're "mapped" on their system, but good enough. If you ride the same routes a lot, just write them down so you remember route x is 2.3 miles, etc.

If you have a smartphone with GPS, RunKeeper or Strava are popular choices.

I have a smartphone with Republic but I opted for the $10/month plan.  My thought is Google Maps will work enough for now.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »
RunKeeper works without a data connection. I used it for months on a phone without a data plan.

Nancy

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »
So... I didn't clean my bike after all the winter riding and now it's a bit creaky. Oops!

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
Ugh.  I majorly slacked last week due to lack of sleep.  Slacked in ALL areas, not just biking.  Back at it this week, just in time for it to heat up again - yay.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »
So... I didn't clean my bike after all the winter riding and now it's a bit creaky. Oops!

Chain creaky (easy) or bottom bracket creaky (not so easy)?

Nancy

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
Could be the bottom bracket, but I'm hoping a cleaning and tightening of pedals will do the trick...Could be wishful thinking. :)

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
I had to have my bottom bracket replaced after this last winter, it was pretty brutal.

At least if it comes to that the BB is not that expensive of a part. I had the LBS do mine... the owner is quite Mustachian and half the time just charges for the parts and not labor (!! I hope he stays in business, but he's been there for several years now), so I am often tempted to out-source repairs that require specialized tools that I don't have.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »
The bike that's now my backup bike is what I ride through a good portion of the winter and the bottom bracket definitely has slop in it when I finally cleaned it up. I may try working on it myself, but as it's my backup, it's low priority.

Nancy

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2014, 07:26:01 AM »
Pindystache, your LBS owner is badass! I would also support him if I were you.

goblinchief, using a backup winter bike is a smart play. Next year, I'll use the old cruiser.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:55 AM »
Will there be an August Challange? I just bought a new bike and took 2 others in for repair. I have road my new one the last 2 days and will be going out again today but I need to get some endurance back :-).  I think a challenge would be right up my alley so just curious. The repairs were out of my wheel house and I worked a deal I felt comfortable with my new purchase. Going forward with everything being upgraded I plan to find or build my own bike stand and do my own repairs.

jordanread

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2014, 08:19:04 AM »
Will there be an August Challange? I just bought a new bike and took 2 others in for repair. I have road my new one the last 2 days and will be going out again today but I need to get some endurance back :-).  I think a challenge would be right up my alley so just curious. The repairs were out of my wheel house and I worked a deal I felt comfortable with my new purchase. Going forward with everything being upgraded I plan to find or build my own bike stand and do my own repairs.
There is a new challenge every month. August is probably going to be posted a couple of days in advance, since I'm going to be camping in the mountains a few days prior.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2014, 08:36:56 AM »
Thanks for the challenge.  This is my first post, but have read the fourm for quite some time.  I ride every day to work, so I have just signed up for this challenge.  I look forward to seeing the resaults as they come in.

jordanread

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
Thanks for the challenge.  This is my first post, but have read the fourm for quite some time.  I ride every day to work, so I have just signed up for this challenge.  I look forward to seeing the resaults as they come in.

Look forward to having you around.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »
FYI - fixed the sum formula for the "ever" mileage - noticed that June was showing more miles "ever" than July which didn't seem right.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
Going forward with everything being upgraded I plan to find or build my own bike stand and do my own repairs.

If you're okay with possibly scuffing a saddle up, flipping the bike over works for nearly all fixes, but having a stand would be nice.

The simplest DIY stand design I've seen is a threaded pipe+pipe elbow attached to a solid wall or fence. Remove the seat post, lift bike, tighten seatpost clamp to secure bike. I think it was someone around here that posted it, actually.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
Blech.  Going on vacation for a week and a half, and now being sick, has really destroyed my mileage for this month.  BUT, my MIL is in town visiting and usually having visitors means more car trips, since we've only got mine and my husband's bike.  But since she drove up, she brought their bikes (FIL will be flying up later) so that we can all still bike around town.  So excited about that.
My in-laws are the ones who gifted the bike trailer to us for the tiny human (for Christmas), and since we've been telling them for months how much she loves it I think they were super excited to see her in it.

winstonsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
Wow this is fun!  I haven't enjoyed myself getting to and from work/everywhere in a long time.

BTW, my new bike is perfect.  Just ordered some collapsible baskets to stow my stuff. Has anyone tried the Wald 582 folding rear baskets?

I am also really impressed with everyone's mileage.  I need to pick it up :)

-winston

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
Just ordered some collapsible baskets to stow my stuff. Has anyone tried the Wald 582 folding rear baskets?

Pretty sure a few people around here are using those and liking them.

usmarine1975

« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »
Will find out if I actually do it.  I am thinking I may try to bicycle the whole way to and from work tomorrow.  About 7 miles each way.  The most I have done yet is a cumulative of 6.5 round trip.  Here's hoping the weather is good and I don't die.  Will let you know tomorrow.  Gotta step it up or I am gonna get kicked out of this group. Or get face punched a few times.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2014, 05:46:47 PM »
OK this is crap! I've been such a wimp!  My goal this month was to get to a point where I was riding ~10 miles every morning.  It has not happened yet. I've had my alarm set (I hit the snooze button and stay in my nice soft bed while my waistline gets bigger and my body gets weaker)  and water bottles loaded up. If I don't come back and report about an awesome morning ride tomorrow please don't hold the face punches!

usmarine1975

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »
I DID NOT DIE

I made the 7.3 mile trek to work this morning on my Huffy freebie bike that still needs to be adjusted and looked over.  I didn't make it to the bike shop had to watch my son.  Planning to go next week.  Rear tire def need's a patch or a new tube stopped to put air in the tire and it doesn't hold the pressure as it should.  So essentially riding with an improperly inflated rear tire. 

Good news is I made it and actually quite enjoyed the trip.  Beautiful morning beautiful views and as I stated I made it.  Feeling pretty bad ass about right now.  Yea I know it was only 7.3 miles and I still have 7.3 to go on the way home.  But let me enjoy my victory for a minute. 

I gave myself extra time in case and am just now finishing up my cool down period before I go to change for the day.

One other thing I need to do is research how to actually use the gears.  I can shift between gears but I am certain that there is a method and a manner in which to use the gears to your best advantage.  At this point I just shift down when I need the load to be easier especially on the uphills. Which I now know I have 5 really good ones.  The downside is a blast.

My new goal is to now bike 1 day a week to work if not 2.  I am thinking I could pretty regularly bike 2 days a week.  Ok celebratory post is over gotta get dressed for work.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2014, 07:57:26 AM »
Congrats on biking to work. Keep in mind that only doing 1-2 days a week will make it harder to build strength and conditioning, though I certainly don't want to come off as being all or nothing about it.

usmarine1975

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2014, 08:08:58 AM »
No your not coming off as all or nothing.  Once I get to two days I can re evaluate that goal but at this point I drive and pick up my son at daycare at different times and with baby number 2 on the way this may change but it limit's my ability to ride every day.  Once Baby #2 is born hopefully we can make a weekend ride a family event getting a third ride in as well. 

I am also doing other exercises cycling to work is not my only form.

But yea if I can do more I will try too.

jordanread

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »
OK this is crap! I've been such a wimp!  My goal this month was to get to a point where I was riding ~10 miles every morning.  It has not happened yet. I've had my alarm set (I hit the snooze button and stay in my nice soft bed while my waistline gets bigger and my body gets weaker)  and water bottles loaded up. If I don't come back and report about an awesome morning ride tomorrow please don't hold the face punches!

This has been a crappy month for me too. It feels like such a catch-22. I sleep better when I ride, which makes it easier to get up and ride again. Haven't slept well this entire month. Grrrr. Next month is going to be way better.

I DID NOT DIE
[...]
One other thing I need to do is research how to actually use the gears.  I can shift between gears but I am certain that there is a method and a manner in which to use the gears to your best advantage.  At this point I just shift down when I need the load to be easier especially on the uphills. Which I now know I have 5 really good ones.  The downside is a blast.

Congrats on being still alive!! As far as gears go, I'm still trying to figure out my sweet spot. I usually have a tendency to stick with the harder ones and stick with a super slow, super hard cadence. I always feel like I'm being more productive. The data doesn't necessarily add up though. I've tried switching and keeping a higher cadence, which makes it seem like I'm slacking, but my times and average speeds improve (at least on my way too work). If you have an android phone, and have My Tracks installed, there are a few non-default settings which breaks down the map based on your speed. Your route is color coded based on where you are at compared to your base line. It's been fun.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »
An overly hard cadence invites knee problems.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »
Congrats on being still alive!! As far as gears go, I'm still trying to figure out my sweet spot. I usually have a tendency to stick with the harder ones and stick with a super slow, super hard cadence. I always feel like I'm being more productive. The data doesn't necessarily add up though. I've tried switching and keeping a higher cadence, which makes it seem like I'm slacking, but my times and average speeds improve (at least on my way too work). If you have an android phone, and have My Tracks installed, there are a few non-default settings which breaks down the map based on your speed. Your route is color coded based on where you are at compared to your base line. It's been fun.

+1 to the congrats. An under-inflated tire is a very sure (maybe the best aside from having to carry the bike?) way to increase the intensity of a cycling workout! I also share your dilemma about not having time to drop off/pick-up the bike. This is what eventually led me to pick up a back-up.

@Jordan - I have the same natural inclination to "mash" my way up hills and have also been trying to use lower gears and increase my cadence.

jordanread

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »

Yeah, I'm aware that it can potentially have negative effects, especially as one gets older. I make it a point to keep my joints strong and healthy, so I'm not worried about it right now. That being said, I'm still collecting data, but initial observations seem to be that an easier cadence makes me feel less bad ass (like I'm slacking or something), but my average speed seems to go up a few points, I don't slow down nearly as many times on my way to work (gentle uphill for 9.5 miles), and I keep dropping time.

@Jordan - I have the same natural inclination to "mash" my way up hills and have also been trying to use lower gears and increase my cadence.

I actually just push going up hills, but I have a tendency to "mash" my way downhill, and on flats. So much so that I for a while was thinking about looking into a bigger 3rd gear on my front crank. For now, I'm just doing research and experimenting. I need to figure out the most efficient method before I switch my once-a-month 150 mile round trip commute to bike. :-) Plus I need to stop sucking so bad at jumping on the bike for work.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »

Yeah, I'm aware that it can potentially have negative effects, especially as one gets older.

I'm your age and already have problems, hence the warning!

Good luck with the 75 mile ride. I know Russ does that semi-regularly. I love long rides, but it's hard to justify the time away from family right now.