Author Topic: July Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 27085 times)

jordanread

July Cycling Challenge 2014
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
Things are a touch different this month, as I continue to try and add functionality and ease of use to the spreadsheet. In order to add yourself to the sheet, please fill out the following form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cYgtm6yHwpVxuJU6X5r1_BC9ujSfnuX7_2JcjEcA3wU/viewform

After you fill out your information, you will be added to the spreadsheet. Modify your sheet with your miles/kilometers.

The sheet itself is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao9WawExpjLNdGtMbG9NOFl0Nl9fUFYxREZVeXZBN0E&usp=sharing

I'll add some stats a bit later. Happy Cycling. Please PM me if you have any issues.

jordanread

Re: July Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »
Here is the update for June. We had a grand total of 39 participants, with an average distance traveled of 189 miles/person.
We went a total distance of 5,403 Miles, which is about 1.3X the length of the Nile, and prevented the burning of 5403 lbs of C02.
That ways as much as 4 average dairy cows, or just shy of half of an elephant.
Using a 20MPG vehicle as a baseline, we saved $995 in gas not purchased.

Way to rock it.

Happy Cycling!!

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
Thanks Jordan, I like the funky little form you put together.

I added myself.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »
Sweet, that was a lot of miles in June!

For June I didn't cycle in to work twice. Goal for July is 100% cycling commutes!

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
So it looks like ago of the automation is working. Outstanding. I've still got a couple more ideas for the next revision of the document. A spot to put your car stats in, maybe some individual charts, comparison to averages, and removing the limit on participants. Any other features you folks would like to see?

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
Goal for July is 100% cycling commutes!

Me too!  I'm hoping to obsessively update this spreadsheet to keep myself motivated.  Such a tiny commute really (3.5 miles each way), and I chose to live here exactly so I could cycle to work.  Pretty silly that I haven't been cycling much recently.....

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 03:51:03 PM »
I'm joining for the first time!  I want to start biking to work (2.7 miles each way) this month, 2-3 days per week to start.  The bike is sitting on the back patio just waiting to be ridden! 

I still have to drive to pick up the kiddies from daycare at the end of the day (also 2.7 miles each way) for various reasons, but I'll be saving 4.4 miles of driving for each day I ride.

I also plan to walk to work on any half days (like July 3rd) because I'd actually rather walk than ride, but I need to see if I can make it home in time to pick up the car and get to daycare before late fees start ringing in. 

We're starting to do more errands by walking since we don't have a bike trailer, and also only one bike.  My city seems to be more walker-friendly than bike friendly, or maybe I'm just a scaredy-cat!

prefrontalfinance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
Excellent. It was fun tracking all my miles and not just my work miles last month. We'll see how July turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »
Last month was my first month cycling to work (never missed once). Couldn't believe how much fun it is. I know 61 miles is nothing huge but  everybody has to start somewhere.  My goal, by the last week of the month to be riding 10 miles before work all week. I'll probably still take the short 1.2 mile route back to the house in the evening since I work outside and it is hard enough to stay hydrated without throwing a cardio workout in at the end of the day. (I'll probably try to add some strength training though).

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
Last month was my first month cycling to work (never missed once). Couldn't believe how much fun it is. I know 61 miles is nothing huge but  everybody has to start somewhere.  My goal, by the last week of the month to be riding 10 miles before work all week. I'll probably still take the short 1.2 mile route back to the house in the evening since I work outside and it is hard enough to stay hydrated without throwing a cardio workout in at the end of the day. (I'll probably try to add some strength training though).

61 miles is an AWESOME start!  Congrats!  And never missing a day?  Even more congratulations there.

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
Jordanread, you're amazing!! Thanks for the excellent sheet and stats! Let's get that second elephant half, folks!

jordanread

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »
All right, just so everyone is aware, the best month we've had was April 2013. We logged 8500 miles! What say you we try to beat that?

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 06:00:53 PM »
Thanks sisterx! One thing I have going for me is I'm really hard headed and I set my mind and just do it.

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »
Thanks for all the work keeping the monthly challenge going and improving the spreadsheet.

I threw my idea in the suggestions box on the tool to create you own sheet.  I don't necessarily pay much attention to the CO2 stat or money saved stat by riding a bike but it a nit to my logical brain that all miles are included even when a ride is for fun and doesn't replace a car trip.

So to make the CO2 and $ stats accurate I'd propose a filter/trigger on if a ride replaced a car trip or not.

Either way I like these challenges.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
Thanks sisterx! One thing I have going for me is I'm really hard headed and I set my mind and just do it.

Haha, I'm stubborn as hell too, which is why I either walk or bike every work day of the year.  It never even enters my head NOT to do this, no matter what the weather.  Helpful, since this was the wettest June on record here.  (http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/eleventh-hour-shower-makes-june-wettest-on-record-for-fairbanks/article_e67109fe-0159-11e4-bfde-0017a43b2370.html#.U7Mds2VEVvo)

I have come to the opinion that there are two types of bike commutes in the rain.  There's the "ugh, it's drizzling and I'm getting damp and I hate it" or there's the "wow, monsoon season started apparently, and now I'm drenched so...I might as well hum 'Singin' in the Rain' in my head and start splashing through puddles with a wild grin on my face because it's not like I'm going to get any wetter!"  Most of this past month has been the second one, and July is starting the same way.

usmarine1975

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »
I am interested in biking to and from work. I have a couple barriers standing in my way. 

1  I have to take my son to daycare, babysitter 2 to 3 times a week.  The mileage to and from is more then I could do with a 2 year old and time allotted.

2   I have no shower at work.  Going home wouldn't be a problem but riding to work I would get sweated and need to change, shower etc...  I work in an office setting in which we have clients coming and going.

Any suggestions for number 2 other then a baby wipe bath not interested in smelling like baby wipes all day. 

My only thought is to ride home from work but then I would have to get a ride the next day from my wife or drive to pick up my truck which defeats the purpose.

Any input appreciated.  I would like to join the challenge but have not in my own mind found a way for it to be possible.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 03:23:19 PM »
I am interested in biking to and from work. I have a couple barriers standing in my way. 

1  I have to take my son to daycare, babysitter 2 to 3 times a week.  The mileage to and from is more then I could do with a 2 year old and time allotted.

2   I have no shower at work.  Going home wouldn't be a problem but riding to work I would get sweated and need to change, shower etc...  I work in an office setting in which we have clients coming and going.

Any suggestions for number 2 other then a baby wipe bath not interested in smelling like baby wipes all day. 

My only thought is to ride home from work but then I would have to get a ride the next day from my wife or drive to pick up my truck which defeats the purpose.

Any input appreciated.  I would like to join the challenge but have not in my own mind found a way for it to be possible.

I'll be cycling to work and then home and then taking the car to get my little ones from daycare.  My work and daycare are both exactly 2.7 miles from home, in the complete opposite direction. 

I'm not sure how far your ride is, but I was a little sweaty this morning when I got in.  I let my body cool down for about 20 minutes or so, put on fresh deodorant, then changed into my business clothes, which I had stuffed into my backpack.  (I also have the luxury of an office, so I was able to close my door while I sat in my cycling clothes).  I imagine I will get more sweaty and have baby wipes on hand if I need them.  I use them quite often to wipe my hands and never notice a lingering smell. 

usmarine1975

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »
I'm not sure how far your ride is

My commute is 7 miles one way.

Dropping off at day care is over 15 opposite direction for both locations.  My mom watches one day and a daycare does the other.

TrMama

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 03:35:18 PM »

1. Continue to drive on the days you have to drop off your son. The primary goal is to replace at least some of your driving with biking. Don't worry about switching 100%. Even once a week will be better than never biking.

You could also drive partway and bike the rest. I do this in the summer when I have to get two school age kids to/from summer camp. We drive to camp and I bike the rest of the way. You could even start by dropping the kid off,  driving part of the way to work and then biking the rest of the way in. This option is actually way less of a PITA than it seems. Trust me.

2. Baby wipes are available in unscented forms.  You could also just use a regular washcloth. Make sure to wipe down with cold water to help you cool off faster.

canuckie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »
Just joined! I started biking to work in May. So far I'm loving it!

jordanread

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »

I don't have a shower either, and I ride about 9.5 miles in. With a back pack, I'm definitely sweaty. That being said, allotting a cool-down is essential. You have to give yourself a few minutes (I usually take about 15) in order to stop sweating. After that, a quick wipe down with a damp wash cloth (or just your cycling clothes if they are cotton ish) and a fresh application of deodorant works wonders. Doesn't work unless you cool down, though.

Some other options that I've seen people do is to join a YMCA or 24hr Fitness if one is close, just to use the showers. I'd say try a couple different options your first week, and just start problem solving. Figure out what works for you.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
I filled out the form, but don't see a tab added for me?  If someone can help with that, I'm good for about 18 miles/workday. =)

jordanread

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »
I filled out the form, but don't see a tab added for me?  If someone can help with that, I'm good for about 18 miles/workday. =)
I'll take a look. Give me a moment. It might take a few seconds, but I'll confirm.

jordanread

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »

Got you added. Not certain why it didn't auto create. I entered the same values (I think) and it worked fine. I'll look more into it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 06:29:24 PM »
No worries.  Thanks!  Filled in days 1 and 2 =)

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
The fanciness is overwhelming!

usmarine1975 - 15 miles with a kiddo is quite a ways. I'd probably just drive that part, then come home & bike to your office (or just drive those days if doing this wouldn't save many miles based on relative locations). I count my blessings for the shower in my office... I think the usual advice has already been suggested so far here.

jordanread

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
... I think the usual advice has already been suggested so far here.

Here is one for you...
A new apartment complex just went up next to my office building. I haven't had an issue with the sweat yet, but I have thought about knocking on a door and seeing if I could come up with some arrangement to borrow their shower. It broke 100 degrees here the other day, and I haven't done it yet, but I could see that being an awesome story.

usmarine1975

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think my first ride will probably be on the way home.  I drive a truck (not so mustachian but necessary for my rental business on the side)  So I can put my bike in the back and ride home.  Give me the feel for the full ride and also cover the whole worried about shower deal.

I like the idea of driving part of the way and biking the rest.  That will be a good way to break myself into riding.  My eventual goal would be to ride the days that I go straight to and from work.  Save the times I have to be somewhere afterwards.

I ride my motorcycle as much as possible (again not so mustachian)  Just can't give up the 1983 V65 Magna had it for a long time and I like it.  My initial goal is to Ride at least 1 day a week. 

We have a gym in the same strip as my office is in a strip mall but they have no shower. 

I don't have too many houses around for the option of borrowing a shower.  Will be interested as to how that works out for you.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 07:53:10 AM »
I ride my motorcycle as much as possible (again not so mustachian)  Just can't give up the 1983 V65 Magna had it for a long time and I like it.  My initial goal is to Ride at least 1 day a week. 

At mid-40 mpg, that's not so unmustachian, although I'm sure others might disagree. Mike over at Lacking Ambition rides a motorcycle a lot and it has fit his low-consumption lifestyle very well.

jordanread

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »

At mid-40 mpg, that's not so unmustachian, although I'm sure others might disagree. Mike over at Lacking Ambition rides a motorcycle a lot and it has fit his low-consumption lifestyle very well.

Bakari has a decent article about motorcycles too, and I know he rides his regularly. Biking is still my favorite, though.

usmarine1975

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »
My initial goal is to Ride a bicycle manual power once a week.  Maybe more later.  I do enjoy the motorcycle but I could afford to burn a few calories.

wiggam007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »
Well, just joined and added myself to the spreadsheet.  I just got my bike a couple weeks ago at a swap meet, it has been more than five years since my last bike ride.  Now, I know I am out of shape a bit, but I have been walking to work and school for quite a bit now, but after a mile I was about ready to pass out.  Originally I had planned to ride around 50 blocks there and back; that definitely wasn't happening today.  Eventually I will need to ride around 12 miles to get to the office I need to get to, and I need to do that in about an hour so I have a long way to go. 

pedostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 12:08:56 AM »
I sporadically bike to work 20 miles round trip and mountain bike 2-3 times a week.  I would bike daily if my office had a shower instead of having to walk in sweaty with helmet hair.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
Whoah!  Love what you've done with the spreadsheet.  Automation is excellent!!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »
Finally seem to be on the mend again after some pretty dire wound infections post bike crash that laid me out for three days. That said, ankle on that leg is swollen as all get out after work and biking and kitchen stuff had me on feet nearly all day.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »
Get (all the way) well soon TGC!

jordanread

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
Whoah!  Love what you've done with the spreadsheet.  Automation is excellent!!

It's only going to get better. I've gotten some good feedback so far, and most of the requests will be implemented next month.

Finally seem to be on the mend again after some pretty dire wound infections post bike crash that laid me out for three days. That said, ankle on that leg is swollen as all get out after work and biking and kitchen stuff had me on feet nearly all day.

I was curious why you didn't already have 100 miles. That explains it. Might even help me beat the average this month (just my own personal goal), at least until Russ updates his stuff.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
OK, I'm back in! I just moved and I'm now 0.3 miles from work, so I won't be logging commuting miles anymore...but my new town has a great network of rail trails and today I hit a record for my daily mileage - 17.5 (sure, not much compared to some folks here, but my previous record was 12.something...) to get to a social gathering and back.

The miles go by so much faster on trails - they are like bike highways compared to the big-city streets I'm used to!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »
...at least until Russ updates his stuff.

Too late... :p

jordanread

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 12:24:06 AM »
...at least until Russ updates his stuff.

Too late... :p

Ah crap. I'm going to have to find some fun rides to do this month.

Tieke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 03:51:17 AM »
I'm in too!  I just bought my first bike a month or two ago (as a direct result of MMM peer pressure) and I'm totally loving it.  I only bike 2 or 3 times a week (it's mid-winter here and I've got a free bus to work so my milage is a little low), but it's a start.  Next project is home-made panniers so I can start using my bike to do the supermarket run on the weekends...

usmarine1975

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 06:18:38 AM »
Well I finally grew some balls and did it.  I drove 5 miles to work and biked the remaining 2 miles.  Feels great to know I could do it.  Only have to ride 2 miles back.  First time riding this bike (got it for free from a tenant that moved out couldn't pay their rent) Need to get the tires checked out seem to lose a little pressure and I need to adjust the seat and oil the chain.  It went pretty good.  Stayed in the top half of the gears and my road to work is up and down.  On my way to riding 1 day a week and maybe beyond.  Did the 2 miles in just under 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:29:35 AM by usmarine1975 »

jordanread

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 08:20:31 AM »
Well I finally grew some balls and did it.  I drove 5 miles to work and biked the remaining 2 miles.  Feels great to know I could do it.  Only have to ride 2 miles back.  First time riding this bike (got it for free from a tenant that moved out couldn't pay their rent) Need to get the tires checked out seem to lose a little pressure and I need to adjust the seat and oil the change.  It went pretty good.  Stayed in the top half of the gears and my road to work is up and down.  On my way to riding 1 day a week and maybe beyond.  Did the 2 miles in just under 15 minutes.
Awesome job usmarine!! I was all excited to finally bike in this morning (had so much to do earlier this month I could only do errands, not commute), stepped out off my porch, smiled, grabbed my coffee, and immediately rolled my ankle walking go get the bike. grrrrr. Quite swollen, but hopefully it'll be good tomorrow. It's a great week for it here in CO. Cloud cover, nice and cool, and way better than the couple of 100+ days we've had lately.

usmarine1975

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 08:33:31 AM »
Thanks felt good to do it.  Will try to add miles over the next few weeks until I am riding the full 7 miles.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »
Bike was in the shop these last few days. Gonna have to push hard to keep up now.
Thanks for the new sheet Jordan

jordanread

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
Bike was in the shop these last few days. Gonna have to push hard to keep up now.
Thanks for the new sheet Jordan

Not a problem. Just wait until you see next month's :-)

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
Need to get the tires checked out seem to lose a little pressure and I need to adjust the seat and oil the chain.  It went pretty good.

Congrats! Technically it is probably the tubes, not the tires, that are causing a slow leak. Is it getting flat after a few hours or just losing a few pounds of pressure overnight? Submersing the semi-inflated tube in water can help find very small holes. When I started biking I would swear that my tires were too worn and that was causing leaks, but a few thousand miles later one of them at least is still going strong.

usmarine1975

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
Yea I said tires but I am certain it is the tubes.  The tires basically look unused.  Yea they could afford a new bike but not their rent.  Granted it's not an expensive bike. 

As I was riding it seemed like the rear tire lost a little pressure.  I have patched a tire back in the day as a kid so I may have to break out those skills once again or go to the local bike shop that fixes donated bikes for those who can't afford new ones to see if they can help me.  I just donated 2 other bikes to them.  They might hook me up for cheap or even allow me to help out here and there.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
Things are crazy at work right now (one-a-year production run for 4-6 weeks) but once that's over, I will be hitting the bike hard.

usmarine1975

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
We have an organization that fixes bikes in my city and takes them as donations for those who can't afford.  I found out the evening they are open and think I will volunteer to help when I can.  Win win I get to help the organization do whatever they need and can possibly get my bike tuned up for reasonable cost.  I donated 2 bikes I got from rentals there already this year.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!