Author Topic: JULY Challenge - one box a week - one drawer - one closet  (Read 7825 times)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Every time I watch that show hoarders I feel like going on a rampage in my house for fear we will end up living like that. So, are you up for clutter busting once each week during July?

My JULY challenge is to tackle either

one box during each week in July or
 one drawer
or that closet from hell, purged and re-organized into a functional, beautiful storage place again. 

I hope you decide to join me and share your experience along the way so we can all stay motivated. I plan to report my progress once a week and if I tackle that closet from hell I promise I will post a pic of the before and after.   

This week starts for me with one very large box of paper clutter and who knows what else - waiting for me, left over from a major purge in the laundry room from hell last weekend. My get up and go - got up and left so I decided to put up this challenge for focus and motivation. Are you up for some clutter busting once a week in July?:)

Britan

• Bristles
Re: JULY Challenge - one box a week - one drawer - one closet
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
I'm moving from a big 1br into a studio this month, so I guess it's less of "organize the place we already have" and more of "make sure the new place isn't as much of a mess as the old place".

So I'm in! I think my goals for this weekend are (1) my closet and (2) the "stuff" closet that we have now but will not have in the new place. This will involve recruiting the fiance to determine what to toss, keep, or donate. If I'm REALLY daring and if the fiance has the mental fortitude for it, we will tackle HIS closet.

Gretamom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:26:17 PM »
I'm down for this challenge! I don't know exactly what I will purge yet but I'm thinking my boys' closet and the garage for sure.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
I'm moving from a big 1br into a studio this month, so I guess it's less of "organize the place we already have" and more of "make sure the new place isn't as much of a mess as the old place".

So I'm in! I think my goals for this weekend are (1) my closet and (2) the "stuff" closet that we have now but will not have in the new place. This will involve recruiting the fiance to determine what to toss, keep, or donate. If I'm REALLY daring and if the fiance has the mental fortitude for it, we will tackle HIS closet.

@Britan Good luck - wishing you fortitude! I will tackle my own closet, before I'll approach DH to purge his closet - that will have to be after I am done with my paper clutter and I don't even want to think about when that will be.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
I'm down for this challenge! I don't know exactly what I will purge yet but I'm thinking my boys' closet and the garage for sure.

@Gretamom Welcome to the challenge! Boys closet will be instant gratification I bet. The garage - well, let's just say I don't envy you that task, but it is a huge - light as a feather moment, to have conquered the clutter in the garage. Have fun!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
I'm in.  I've stalled on the KonMari method in the middle of Komono.  I hope to tackle at least a few of the kitchen drawers and the hallway closet.  Good luck to everyone!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »
I'm in.  I've stalled on the KonMari method in the middle of Komono.  I hope to tackle at least a few of the kitchen drawers and the hallway closet.  Good luck to everyone!

@4alpacas Great - reminds me that my spice drawer could use some TLC. What exactly is a KonMari method in the middle of Komono? Sounds cool whatever it is:)
Once you start on the kitchen drawers you'll be motivated to move onto the Hallway closet - good luck!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:38:08 PM »

@4alpacas Great - reminds me that my spice drawer could use some TLC. What exactly is a KonMari method in the middle of Komono? Sounds cool whatever it is:)
Once you start on the kitchen drawers you'll be motivated to move onto the Hallway closet - good luck!
It's a category. The order is clothes, paper, Komono, and then sentimental.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
I'm in!  We may end up moving sometime in the next few months, so this is the perfect time to get rid of stuff!  I'll clean out our clothes closet, storage room, garage, and kitchen. 

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »
I love this challenge! I have been doing this at work already (moving classrooms), but I haven't been doing any at home. This will give me the kick needed!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »
@4alpacas

Oh, you must be talking about the book "The Life Changing Magic of Tydying Up by Marie Kondo", which I've already seen several references to on this board. You tipped the scale:) Now I'll have to check my library for a copy.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 08:58:04 AM »
I'm in!  We may end up moving sometime in the next few months, so this is the perfect time to get rid of stuff!  I'll clean out our clothes closet, storage room, garage, and kitchen.

@AllieWalter Wow - big job ahead - keep us posted on your weekly progress:) Good luck with your move!

I love this challenge! I have been doing this at work already (moving classrooms), but I haven't been doing any at home. This will give me the kick needed!

@teacherstash

Welcome to the Challenge - good work already:) now all you need is to keep the momentum going! Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress:)

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »
Today is the closet day!!!

To add to the list of free inspiration: http://www.unfuckyourhabitat.com/

Will post before and after pics as soon as laundry is washed, dried and PUT AWAY!!! (The hardest step of all!)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:48 PM »
@4alpacas

Oh, you must be talking about the book "The Life Changing Magic of Tydying Up by Marie Kondo", which I've already seen several references to on this board. You tipped the scale:) Now I'll have to check my library for a copy.
Yep!  I'm obsessed with the KonMari Method.  I've gone through my clothes, which allowed me to get rid of a standing rack.  We went through our books and got rid of a bookcase.  Paper just made our place look less cluttered.  Komono has been difficult because we have too much.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 09:44:40 AM »

Will post before and after pics as soon as laundry is washed, dried and PUT AWAY!!! (The hardest step of all!)

OMG @Britan that site is hilarious and just my speed:) thanks for posting the link. With inspiration and guidance like that my chances of making July a major clean up month have just risen by at least another 40%.
Good Luck with your closet! Pics please if you dare:)

I will post a pic of my closet before and after which will not be for another two weeks or less. Right now I still have a trashed carport - the fallout from the laundry room clear out, so that last unsorted box is on the chopping block next. Then on to a final clean up - wish I was finished already:)

Having some health issues today which is upsetting in that I had my heart set on sorting out that last box today and declaring it my first one week triumph. If I feel a bit better later today I might try the 20/10 concept I just read about. 20 minute sort and then 10 min break - I'll put on a pot of tea and we'll see:)

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 10:52:56 AM »
As promised - the closet.

Before:
Bottom

After:
Bottom

Sorry for the bad image quality. It doesn't look like too dramatic of a make-over but I've been in the process of keeping it in check for awhile.

Also in successes, fiance's side of the room is clean! I don't have before and after pics for that, though.

Gretamom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 07:10:47 PM »
I'm feeling accomplished! I did it! I cleaned out my boys' closet! Total bonus....I found two things worth about $50 to sell on ebay, I found a few lost items, I found a bunch of clothes that I had stashed away that will fit the boys in the fall (which I got for free) & I got rid of a bunch of things we no longer need!
I'm glad I had this forum because I really didn't want to take on the boys' closet, but I was feeling accountable since I said I would do this challenge......Thanks!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
@Gretamom

Wow, girl you hit a home run! $50 e-bay potential and free clothing for fall and the serenity of an organized closet - I am super impressed! Yay - yay and yay for you!!!
I am feeling better today, so there is not reason I can't catch up and deal with my mess tomorrow - putting it all out there in the universe with a promise to be accountable really does work.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 09:29:55 PM »

This website is amazing- thank you!

Went over the bathrooms and bathroom closets this week. Next week will be spent in the closets that don't see much of me (i.e. Basement, guest bedroom). We don't actually have anything in the guest bedroom except for all of the leftover items from our wedding (pre-mustachian days- still recovering!). I feel a sale coming on...

Here's a question, what to do with the wedding dress? I've never been the super sentimental type, so I was thinking about trying to sell it online.

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:10 AM »

Here's a question, what to do with the wedding dress? I've never been the super sentimental type, so I was thinking about trying to sell it online.

I sold my wedding dress on EBay! Got about $300 for it, which went straight to student loans.
I'll join this and add it to my current "No buy July" challenge my husband and I are doing (only purchasing consumables ).
Best of luck with selling your dress! I used all my professional photos from wedding to get a good price. Also I'm a teacher, too, so cheers!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »
OK.  First week's task done!  Cleaned out our closet/dressers.  We're getting rid of four big bags full of clothes/shoes!  I think we'll try and tackle the kitchen next...

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »

Yes! I'm also doing the KonMari process right now, and I love it!  I've done clothes and just finished books.  I'm so shocked at how much less space my clothes take up now, and also at how I have been great for the last few weeks about putting away my clothes.  I'm definitely joining this challenge, and since there's about 3 weeks left in July I'll try to finish off my KonMari tasks: Week1: Papers, Week2: Komono, Week3: Sentimental Items.  Komono in 1 week might be ambitious, but I'll try.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »

Yes! I'm also doing the KonMari process right now, and I love it!  I've done clothes and just finished books.  I'm so shocked at how much less space my clothes take up now, and also at how I have been great for the last few weeks about putting away my clothes.  I'm definitely joining this challenge, and since there's about 3 weeks left in July I'll try to finish off my KonMari tasks: Week1: Papers, Week2: Komono, Week3: Sentimental Items.  Komono in 1 week might be ambitious, but I'll try.
Good luck completing the komono in one week!  I'm trying to break down the komono by section.  The kitchen is this weekend. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »
Maybe we should rename this 'KONMARI' challenge. You guys are simply amazing and inspiring!

Progress report:
My nemesis, that box, hasn't moved yet, but - I cleaned up the mess I created on the carport from clearing out that laundry room from hell.
Yesterday I did 4 loads of things I was trying to rescue - cute plastic shopping bags and a beach towel I won, but have no use for, organizers that got thrashed before I ever used them and somes X-mas rugs that were shoved to the bottom of the pile ....

Inner dialog:
I think I will go out and clear out that box now while I still feel shamed into it by reading everyones success stories. I really don't want to do it - my inner child is kicking and screaming.... and I really don't feel well today, (true), but I managed to water part of the garden this morning, so surely I can maintain a bit longer ... All I really want to do is sit here have breakfast and hang out on the computer ... must move forward with this project, but I'd rather work on my closet, at least that's fun... No, then I would have another mess that I really don't feel up to dealing with ...
Oh, I forgot I must clean off the kitchen counter so we can tackle repairing the leak on the freezer (need space for the food) oh gee, I feel overwhelmed already and haven't done a thing.....
OK, take a deep breath - it is now 9:35am I will go out and start on that box, it's driving me crazy to see it sitting there and I know I will be forced to tackle the kitchen counter, because I need Mr. R. to repair the freezer - so that will happen... and in the end, things that must get done will get done - so off to kick that box to the curb!

Whew - well, it isn't always like this, sometimes I do attack closets with good cheer - must remember that feeling of triumph and satisfaction when I conquer that last bit of very old paper cluttter ....

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 07:56:14 AM »
YAY - that very large box of paper clutter is history!!!***

So first weekend of July through now - laundry room, carport, 3 boxes of serious paper clutter - dealt with 80% of the fall out. Now I need to clear out the rest of this mess, incl. one last stack of who knows what ontop of the big toolchest also residing in the laundry room.

BONUS: Mr. R. fixed the electric outlet behind the washer yesterday - $12 for a new outlet from Lowes - savings about $75 since we didn't have to call in the electrician. 

***Took about two and a half hours dealing with papers from 1999 to 2004 - found that extra set of keys we've been looking for forever and my Social Security Card, whew, and a really cute umbrella. Really needed an umbrella, so nice find.
So happy that this is finally done - these were the oldest papers I had that hadn't been tackled yet. All together, there were about three boxes with papers which are now pre-sorted into one half box ......... and these will get a final sort reducing them down to maybe a folder or two!

A bear of a project - dealing with my clothes closet will be a walk in the park in comparison.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »
Congrats on getting rid of the paper clutter! Also nice find on the umbrella :).  I also tackled my paper clutter and most of it ended up in the discard pile plus some went to the shred pile.  I just started keeping my own records about 4 years ago, and in the beginning I had no idea what should be kept.  It was actually pretty amazing how little paper I actually needed to keep (thank you online records keeping).

Next on my list is komono (misc.).  This is the category I am most afraid of, so wish me luck!  Going to try to do a komono subcategory or two mid week instead of leaving it all for the weekend.  I have to say I'm actually feeling kinda motivated to do this.  I already feel some positive effects of having less stuff to manage.  In general there's less things in my apartment that never really found homes.  I also love when I look in my closet every morning because its so nice only seeing clothes that I would wear, and so easy to pick some out.  It seems trivial, but I no longer have to spend time each morning sorting through clothes I will never wear.  Best part is there's no guilt when I do pass over an outfit 'cause I know its just "not today" instead of "ugh bought this and I never wear it".

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 11:26:56 AM »
Everyone -- thank you for the inspiration. I'm not making huge strides like a lot of people here, but this thread has definitely spurred me to take a look when I'm in the closet or the garage or whatever and pluck out some low-hanging "I should get rid of this" fruit. I've thinned out my clutter a bit and will continue to make progress. Thankfully I'm not too bad to begin with, e.g., my car and motorcycle fit in my garage with no problem. But I can certainly use plenty of improvement.

Purging feels good, doesn't it?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
@ash7962

Wishing you luck on the komono - misc things! Let us know how it goes:) Isn't it funny how certain areas and projects make us feel overwhelmed and it is tough to be motivated, but once you start you instantly begin to feel better.   
I agree with you on the closet, it is a huge relief to have an organized closet with only things you actually like to wear. Your morning is off to a good start and your life has just become a bit easier. Love that! Mine is due for an overhaul, but I'm actually looking forward to that project.

This is only the tip of the iceberg as far as my paper clutter, there are still six or seven more boxes of paper clutter in the study, but none as big or as bad as the one I just finished. Those last boxes will be my next challenge as soon as I finished with the laundry room and carport.

@Candace

Yup, purging feels great - makes one feel so much lighter:) Wish I had more of the "let's do a thing here and there" gene. I tend to be all or nothing, but I am coming around to the 20 minute work and 10 min pause approach - although mostly it still ends up with - once I started I must finish the job:)

THANKS FOR EVERYONES INSPIRATION -MOTIVATION AND INPUT!  Let's make this July a clutter busting success for all of us!

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »
Okay, so I read this book everyone has been talking about and have started accordingly. Cloths first. I actually started with shoes, as I thought that would be easiest. Putting everything you have of one item really does make a difference. I got rid of five pairs of shoes out of about 15 total (including boots for winter and sandals for summer). Onto socks and shirts...

Update on the wedding dress and items: I found a consignment shop around here that buys wedding dresses and decorations. I'm going to see what price they recommend selling my wedding stuff at and see what they will give me for it all. We shall see!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 04:36:59 PM »
Week 2:  Storage room is done!  My husband really wanted to work on the storage room next, so we went with the inspiration.  We got rid of another trunk load of old stuff (mostly my stuffed animals...) and I filled up the recycle bin with old papers from middle and high school.  I'm finally learning to let go of stuff.  :)  But it definitely helps to have my husband around to keep me focused on letting go of things. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 05:56:54 AM »
Okay, so I read this book everyone has been talking about and have started accordingly. Cloths first. I actually started with shoes, as I thought that would be easiest. Putting everything you have of one item really does make a difference. I got rid of five pairs of shoes out of about 15 total (including boots for winter and sandals for summer). Onto socks and shirts...

Update on the wedding dress and items: I found a consignment shop around here that buys wedding dresses and decorations. I'm going to see what price they recommend selling my wedding stuff at and see what they will give me for it all. We shall see!

@ teacherstash - Yay for strides on the wedding dress - hope you get some good money for it. I think it is a good feeling to know it is going to someone who needs and appreciates it - makes it easier to let go:)

About the book - would you believe there are 17 people in front of me waiting to get that book from the library? Tells you something about the state of our union:) We are definitely not the only ones embarking on the road to a clutterfree existence. I'm thinking of dropping by our B&N and read a chapter or two while I am there, then maybe I will use my amazon gift card to order "the" book.

Week 2:  Storage room is done!  My husband really wanted to work on the storage room next, so we went with the inspiration.  We got rid of another trunk load of old stuff (mostly my stuffed animals...) and I filled up the recycle bin with old papers from middle and high school.  I'm finally learning to let go of stuff.  :)  But it definitely helps to have my husband around to keep me focused on letting go of things. 

@Allie
- Kudos - storage rooms are the pits! I'm never sure if it helps having hubby around or not - sometimes it is great, other times he gets in the way or slows me down. Honey, when is your game on?:)

As for me - trucking along, I will spend at least 20 minutes on the carport and laundry room and see how far that gets me, I am so close that if I stay for the duration I could be finished today - definitely a motivator.

Meanwhile, I woke up this morning realizing that out of the nine purses that I already clutter busted down to a month ago, I really only use five consistently. For some reason my purses never die and I find myself stuck with purses from 25 years ago.

Inner dialog:
When I opened the closet door ready to let go - my stomach clenched, looking at the four purses that I still like, yet do not use. They are still in good condition and I might have a need for them.
OK, so they still look good - let somebody else enjoy them!
Realistically, it has been 6 months, a year and a half, three years and at least six years for purse #4 since I last used them! So why is that not a good enough reason for me to let go?
It is silly and out they go, well, maybe I could keep two of them, just in case.
What case? - get rid of them already!

Big sigh - OK then, but I'm still keeping one out of the four (the one I last used 6 months ago):) Geez, why is that so hard to do???
I feel better now, I do get to keep one - pathetic!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
Hope all your projects are moving right along:)

Still 7 people ahead of me - waiting for that Konmarie method book from the digital library - grrr.

UPDATE:
 Finished with the laundry room. While I was at it, washed the window and scrubbed the door in preparation of giving it a paint job:)
Cleaned everything else in the room, cleaned the washer - yuck, black muck hiding in the plastic pull out for adding your laundry detergent, ran three loads with hot water with only a cleaning tablet to remove the residue from laundry powder and any potential odors.

This is also the storage room for x-mas and holiday stuff and some misc. things. Decided to tackle that one mystery box of old cables and cassettes that's been sitting there for three years now. Threatened Mr. R. a few times over the years that I would get rid of it and he should sort it.
Time has run out - pulling down that box today.

Next: Finish clearing out the last remnant of laundry room crap from the carport.
 Still sorting the "pre-sorted" paper clutter - actually, it's now sitting on my dining room table driving me nuts.

It will be so nice to look back upon this month and know I've made real progress. So how goes it with you?

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »
Wow, last week was busy.  I didn't get much cleaned out.  But I did go through my jewelry & hair stuff.  That takes a while for me.  I never wear jewelry and rarely do my hair in anything other than a ponytail/bun.  But, it's a bit more sentimental for some reason.  I've at least got it all down to one jewelry box and one box of hair stuff.  It's less satisfying though, since they're so dense, it doesn't have a huge change in volume.  Oh well.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »
I have so far cleaned out up to the misc. items (holy sheese there's a lot in this category). Have so far gotten rid of 3 coats, 4 pants, 10+shirts, 6 pairs shoes, 4 pairs socks, 3 purses, and 10 books. Also, a lot of paperwork that wasn't needed anymore was thrown out. See attached pic of all that's left, further organized by folders:)

I wish I could do this with the SO's stuff...Might ask and then have him go through what I would sell/take out.

Onto the misc. items:
1. DVD's (not many owned anyway)
2. Skincare products
3. Makeup
4. Jewelry
5. Passports (Already did this step with the paperwork)
6. Electronics (might take a while...)
7. Writing materials
8. Medicine
9, Food, pots and pans (also will take a week on its own...)
10. Objects and momentos (I did this one last summer, so I don't suspect there will be much to do there)

I will also have to add: misc drawer items, blankets and sheets, and sheet music.

I've also now got a rug to sell. Might try Craigslist with it. We will see what else pops up. I know I have a couple of phones and cameras I don't use anymore. Hopefully I can get something for those!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:38:36 AM by Teacher'stash »

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:21 AM »
@Lski'stash - That's awesome!! Misc. is the toughest category so far, in my opinion.  I've only finished up to #5 on the list. 

I've been slacking and I don't have many excuses for it (work stress?).  I still have bags of things waiting for me to take to a donation bin or to a recycling center, and a folder full of papers that need to be shredded.  I also reevaluated a stack of books that did not "spark joy", but I had kept because I wanted to read then discard them.  Found that forcing myself to read them was not working and I just put them in a bag to bring to the used book store (but they're still in my house!!).  I think next I will try to focus on actually getting these items out of my house and then continue down the list.  I'm going out of town tonight until Sunday so I've essentially failed the July part of this challenge, but I was at least inspired to make it through papers (which I had been avoiding) and half the misc list so I won't consider it a total failure.

Since I might not be here to post on the 31st, congrats to all who did the challenge and cleared some unneeded stuff from their lives!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
Congrats to everyone - we made it happen and there was progress:)

The carport is still not entirely clutter free - so that might be a fail unless I get it done tomorrow, but there was major progress.

The laundry room is all done, will paint the door as soon as it stops raining buckets.
Bonus: I was inspired to do a couple additional projects like getting rid of more purses and I'm really thrilled Mr. R. tackled the electric job instead of us hiring a pro.

Tackling that last "pre-sorted" box of paper clutter from this project as we speak. So all in all a good start - moving on to more paper clutter in the study and then the clothes closet. Well, maybe the clothes first - that should be a walk in the park compared to the laundry room from hell:)

Thank you all for participating and good luck moving forward!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »
Well, I just about failed the last week of this challenge.  But then we had a power outtage for 7 hours yesterday.  I had nothing to do, so I went through the hall closet.  Got rid of some stuff, but mostly it's just a bit more organized now.  ;D 

Thanks for the challenge.  It feels good to get rid of useless stuff.  But it can be hard to keep myself committed to continue the cleaning process.