Author Topic: Juice Fast: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead Documentary by Joe Cross  (Read 27653 times)

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Juice Fast: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead Documentary by Joe Cross
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2013, 12:28:25 PM »
I don't think the fiber transmogrifies itself inside the chickens.

:)

Well, no, of course not. But chickens won't eat fiber unless there is something in it to make it worth their while. What I mean is there is no real waste in my juicing system, since the nutrients are either in the juice, or in the pulp my chickens eat, which I then eat via the chickens.

There is no nutrient value to pure fiber. No calories, no vitamins, no minerals or phytochemicals, no nothing. It's just helpful with the digestive track and cancer prevention. But I get plenty of it, all the same.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
Gen Y, do you have a food processor? That's another option for things you don't want to drink the juice of. (onions?)

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »

Joe Cross was on the Dr. Oz show. Here is a link to a page with some of the clips from the show.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/joe-cross-3-day-weekend-juice-cleanse?page=3

Cross is doing a follow-up film.

I watched Fathead a month or so ago. I was not impressed.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »

Do you mind telling me the brand and model you have?  I'm using a Breville and although I like it I do feel there is too much waste.  I saw the film and was intrigued, but not enough to do a full fast.  I just drink about 1 juice daily.  The best part is it has allowed me to stop buying juice from the store which my husband was addicted to.  If he's going to drink juice at dinner and give some to our son, I prefer it be my carrot-apple-spinach or some other combination than an expensive, pasteurized, store-bought OJ.

Ours is an Omega similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-J8005-Single-Gear-Commercial-Masticating/dp/B0002OKDT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377810572&sr=8-2&keywords=omega+juicer

We got it for $149, and if it ever went that price again, I would buy a few extra. 

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
I actually wrote a blog post awhile back on why Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is just one big infomercial.

http://milwaukeemaven.blogspot.com/2012/04/fat-sick-nearly-dead-most-genius.html

I also bought a juicer, and it is a messy anti-mustachain disaster!

You need to buy TONS of veggies and fruit to get a decent amount of juice.  Most of that shredded food goes to waste!

I do admit that it does make tasty orange juice and apple juice.  Cucumber juice is also tasty! 

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 08:10:37 AM »
I actually wrote a blog post awhile back on why Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is just one big infomercial.

http://milwaukeemaven.blogspot.com/2012/04/fat-sick-nearly-dead-most-genius.html

I also bought a juicer, and it is a messy anti-mustachain disaster!

You need to buy TONS of veggies and fruit to get a decent amount of juice.  Most of that shredded food goes to waste!

I do admit that it does make tasty orange juice and apple juice.  Cucumber juice is also tasty!

You either bought the wrong juicer or you are doing it wrong.  A bad juicer is a waste of money.  It will not extract the maximum juice out of your produce, it will be a pain to clean, and it won't be able to do the things that will really make a difference in your health (leafy greens and vegetables).  In this (as in a lot of situations) you get what you pay for. 

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »
Yeah mine was around 80 bucks.  I couldn't bring myself to pay more than that.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »
This week has been my detox from caffeine week. It has sucked. I am finishing day 5 right now. I'm not dying, but I was very headachy and sluggish for several days. I'm hoping that my tomorrow or Tuesday the worst of the withdrawals will be behind me.

I could eat meat once per day at night. I'm not a huge bread eater, but I do occasionally eat pasta and I'm a huge fan of the flour tortilla and brown rice. However, I will say, it wouldn't be that hard to give up. My weaknesses are coffee (which I'm doing away with now) and chocolate. Is chocolate on a Paleo diet? I'm a big dairy person, too. Is dairy on Paleo?

Perhaps I shall do some more research.

So far my fave juices are the following:
-carrot, green apple, celery, romaine, kale/spinach, cucumber and lemon
-apple, orange, pear, cantaloupe, cucumber, blueberry and strawberry
-watermelon and fennel

I also use some leftover green juice as salad dressing and it's pretty tasty mixed with a little olive oil.

When I quit drinking soda I went through the same... tired all day, but I did get through it. What helped me quit is not going cold turkey, but tapering. I drank soda every other day, then one every 3 days and so on.

I do about 85% Paleo. I'm almost 40 and I'm wearing the same size jeans I did in high school. I lost 30lbs just by changing my diet. So, yeah, Paleo all the way. It's not just about losing weight, its about eating healthy and is not a diet but a lifestyle change.

A quick rundown. Paleo is disputed, but the core is: Meats, veggies, fruit, nuts. Avoid sugars, processed oils and grains. It's all about single ingredient foods. THAT is the most important aspect. single ingredient foods I do add dairy, raw milk and butter from grass fed cows (Kerrygold brand). Dark chocolate is considered healthy..most other chocolate is mainly oil and pasteurized milk and sugar which isnt good at all, so its not paleo.

At times I do enjoy bad food, like pizza, burgers and so on. But this is maybe once a week. Even then, I usually ditch the bun and load up my burger with veggies anyway.

All of our problems are due to food. Dry skin, allergies, acne are all a result of the food we eat. It's all reversible with putting the right food in your body. Everyone is different so experiment with what works for you.

Good luck kkb.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:48:58 AM by Mr.Macinstache »

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
Yeah mine was around 80 bucks.  I couldn't bring myself to pay more than that.

Do you mind telling me the brand and model you have?  I'm using a Breville and although I like it I do feel there is too much waste.  I saw the film and was intrigued, but not enough to do a full fast.  I just drink about 1 juice daily.  The best part is it has allowed me to stop buying juice from the store which my husband was addicted to.  If he's going to drink juice at dinner and give some to our son, I prefer it be my carrot-apple-spinach or some other combination than an expensive, pasteurized, store-bought OJ.

Ours is an Omega similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-J8005-Single-Gear-Commercial-Masticating/dp/B0002OKDT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377810572&sr=8-2&keywords=omega+juicer

We got it for $149, and if it ever went that price again, I would buy a few extra.

It seems like a lot to spend for a juicer, but over time the biggest expense is the produce.  And I easily get 25% or more juice out of the same produce with my juicer.  Sell your $80 juicer to someone who just wants a glass of OJ from time to time and save up for a quality machine.  We use ours 5 days/week at least and I'm convinced this thing will last for years and years.  The other way to look at the expense, is looking at healthcare savings/no loss of productivity.  We are so healthy drinking just one green juice a day.  We still get the seasonal colds (kids in the house), but I haven't had one go past 3 days since juicing.  Plus I haven't needed to take work off or get on an antibiotic.  Juicing, as far as I can tell, has strengthened our immune system and lowered inflammation.  Hard to put a price tag on that!

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »
I think I fall into the category of "just want a glass of OJ from time to time"! 

EnergyConsultant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
Bought a Vitamix almost a year ago for $500 (ouch!), but it's definitely worth it. You don't throw away anything from the vegetables; you can even use skins, stems, etc. Not the panacea, but definitely a very healthy way of eating more veggies.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »
I haven't seen the movie, but what is the benefit of 'juicing' vs just eating your vegetables?

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
I haven't seen the movie, but what is the benefit of 'juicing' vs just eating your vegetables?

First, you should watch the movie.  I also like Forks over Knives.

One benefit is that the nutrients don't need a lot of time or effort from the digestive tract.  So instant energy, instant benefit.  Drink it in the morning for instant energy, or before/after a work out.  On a related note, if you're fiber sensitive, you're not going to have a problem with juicing.  I have IBS/diverticulosis, and I have no problem getting my veggies in this way.  Also when you eat whole produce, the fiber binds to some of the nutrients, so you don't get the full benefit of them.  I agree with what others have said on this forum, juicing is just one way we eat our produce.  For me and my family, it's a cup of green juice every morning- kind of like a vitamin.  We feel great, our weight is stable and healthy, and most people think my DH and I are a decade younger than what we really are.  YMMV  ;)

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
Right on, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I do have the belief that if you are having digestive issues, there are factors at play, maybe a deficiency or a lack nutrients, probiotics to aid in digestion and absorption. So while juicing might help that aspect, it may be just a band aid.

I now use apple cider vinegar, raw, to help my digestion. My stomach doesn't make enough acid so this helps out alot. I can process garlic now. :) Also, the ACV, while it is an acid, turns to an alkaline environment in your stomach. Much like lemon juice. So there are many benefits. Braggs is my favorite brand as its raw, organic.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
I may or may not have that backwards...oops, i do not have my reference in front of me.  I will confirm later.

Wait... you are actually serious?  I'm not not-worrying because it's "yin" vs "yang" energy.  I'm not worrying because I don't give a fig about Chinese medicine.

Chinese medicine aside, there seems to be a spectrum of tolerance for nightshades (like gluten, among other things).  I can eat nightshades all day and not have any issues, but some people may not be as tolerant.  The only way to know for yourself is to completely cut them out for a month, and see if anything changes.  If nothing changes when you remove them or add them back in, then you probably don't have an problem.

I love nightshades, and I feel bad for anybody who can't tolerate them well :-(

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
I'll admit I am a bit skeptical of juicing.  Mostly for the reasons others have mentioned--it seems like a lot of potential waste and like you are potentially just giving yourself a hit of fiber-free sugar.  If I knew I was going to utilize all the pulp in other ways I might be more into the idea, but that starts to seem like a lot of effort.  Of course, I'm also quite happy to eat a pound or so of carrots as a snack so I may not be the right demographic to see a big change as a result of juicing.  In general, I *am* a fan of getting a LOT of fruits/vegetables into your diet, quite a bit more than what I think is normally considered as an adequate intake.  I know for me, hyper-vegetabling makes a huge difference in my skin--I don't have acne or pimples to start with, but everything just gets a little more "glow-y" when I'm downing raw carrots and green smoothies and such like there's no tomorrow!

Crash87

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
Juicing is just a slightly less healthy way of eating fruits and veggies. Most people don't eat enough fruits and veggies though, so if juicing means you eat more fruits and veggies then go for it.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:09 PM »
We juice at least once a day.  I just watched my kids devour a pitcher of kale, cucumber, apple, parsley juice with dinner.  It is a simple and tasty way to get a lot of nutrition into my young kids. 

EverlastingMeal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »
It's a lot healthier to eat the food with fiber rather than just drink the juice too . . . paying for a juicer and then using it to throw out so much good food seems kind of like a wasteful fad.  It also takes a lot of time and cleanup.

Why not just eat the things you're juicing whole?

I agree with this.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/11/juice_cleanses_not_healthy_not_virtuous_just_expensive.html

From the article:

“Someone should design a comedy routine in which nutritionists are lined up and asked to complete the sentence: Juice cleanses are ... The responses I got included “nonsense,” “unsustainable,” “bone-headed,” and “not the answer”—and I think my interlocutors were trying to be polite. We need protein and fat in our diets. We also need to consume enough calories to reassure our bodies we aren’t starving, or we risk all kinds of metabolic and electrical freak-outs. Plus, liquefying fruits and vegetables means getting rid of fiber, which aids digestion by sustaining the microflora in our gut. (LOL! Let’s obsess over how immaculate we can make our insides even though our intestines host trillions of bacteria.)”

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2013, 06:08:56 AM »
Juicing doesn't make any sense to me.  Just eat the fruit and veggies. 

I find that a lot of food fads are like religions and, in the end, encourage disordered eating and irrational behavior towards food. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »
I agree with AlexK.. Seems like a total waste to throw out all the fiber and just drink the juice. Might as well just blend it all together in a smoothie and consume the whole food. Plus, cleanup is way faster.

I blend as well, get all those vitamins:) . plus all the roughage .

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:14 AM »
The only problem I have with juicing is that my body get used to having that extra dose of energy.  When miss a drink for any reason,  I ended up feeling extremely tired and sluggish.