Author Topic: Juice Fast: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead Documentary by Joe Cross  (Read 27655 times)

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
Juice Fast: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead Documentary by Joe Cross
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
Has anyone seen this documentary? It's on Amazon, Hulu and, I presume, Netflix. I've now watched it 4 times. I bought a juicer and am preparing to do a 5 day juice fast followed by 10 days of fasting during the day (just juice) followed by an all plant based dinner at night.

Given that I'm recovering from surgery and need extra protein, I got a recommendation for an all raw protein powder that I've ordered and should arrive tomorrow. I will use that to make sure I'm getting enough protein and will supplement my dinners with raw nuts.

Anyone else want to join me? I plan on phasing out coffee and meat this week and starting the juice fast on Friday.

Saving mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Juice Fast: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead Documentary by Joe Cross
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
I have watched it and my sister has too. She was recently diagnosed with MS and started juicing for lunch. She has lost 10lbs and has a ton of energy. I was just thinking that I have some veggies that will go bad soon. I need to juice them. You have inspired me!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:47:52 PM »
I've watched this movie recently, I liked it, and it had a good message and was inspiring.  I don't think I will start juicing, though. It's been interesting to witness a few people I know take up juicing after viewing the movie - none of them really did it to the extreme, but I imagine it's helped shape how they view food, even though none of them continue to juice.

I have been trying to gear myself towards a more plant-based diet for over a year now, so some of the anecdotal results from the movie are affirming and inspiring.  I have been eating a fruit or vegetable with every meal, but I have a long way to go if I am going to eventually make plants a majority of my food.  A slow approach seems more reasonable to me, but maybe it's a road block? I don't think how I eat now is unhealthy or hurting me, but I think more plants would be ideal.

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »
I watched it a couple months ago. I think it is a good strategy for people that have a hard time dealing with choice and have a lot of weight to lose or diet related health problems. Too extreme for me, although I would consider having some juice at breakfast if someone gifted me a juicer. Actually, no, we had a juicer from a garage sale that we ended up giving away after it sat in our cupboard for a year.

I also really enjoyed Forks Over Knives. Probably because it most closely resembles our food choices, although we do eat some dairy (hello butter and cheese!) and limited meat.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
I watched it and it isn't bad. But ultimately it seemed more gimmicky than based on hard science. It works but not for any reason they give in the film.

Check out "Fathead" which is on Hulu and Netflix and he has a blog at http://www.fathead-movie.com/ that is really good too. It got me started on researching and then going Paleo for my diet. I dropped 10% body fat, lost 25 lbs and got to do it while eating as much bacon as I want. And my blood work came back better than ever after eating Paleo for 9 months. (Been at it for 1 1/2 years now)

Short version of Paleo (which you may have noticed a lot of us talking about and even MMM has mentioned it in some of his blog posts) is low carb, high fat and high protein. Lots of hard science behind it. The biochemistry makes so much more sense with the dietary guidelines with Paleo than what the government says, etc. I eased into it after researching it for a month. But my experiment of 1 worked very well. I have a coworker who had a lot more to lose and it worked great for him.

And yes I like my meat. But I actually eat many more veggies since changing to Paleo.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »
I did watch Forks Over Knives, but haven't seen Fathead. I'll check that one out, too. I love my juicer. Don't know much about Paleo, but I'm not a big meat eater, so may not be the best option for me. I was a vegetarian for several years, then I added in fish, then eventually starting eating some meat again. I seem to go through phases for several years at a time. I just want to be healthy and fit and a plant based diet suits my tastes better than a meat laden one.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:29:37 AM »
Cleaning a juicer is a big pain and for some veggies (like spinach) 99% of it goes into the waste chute. It seems like a big waste to throw away or compost all that stuff we paid good money for. A good blender like a Vitamix will make veggie smoothies and you consume all of the beneficial fiber too. It very easy to clean compared to a juicer.

I do admit the veggie juice from a juicer is delicious, especially with ginger root and lemon thrown in.

noob515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 06:50:43 AM »
I saw Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead over a year ago, and it prompted my husband and I to go buy a juicer.  We juiced for a while (not to the extent as Joe Cross), but then the hassle of cleaning the juicer, and the fact that some veggies were going to the waste bin and not really being made into juice - and we eventually stopped juicing.  But the citrus/fruit juices were really good.  I never got that good at making the veggie ones taste GOOD. 

I just decided the other day that I should dig out the juicer and give it another try, in order to get more veggies into our diets and clean out our systems a little bit.

I've been hearing a lot about Paleo on MMM, so I will try looking into that and see if that's something I'd like to try.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:36:12 AM »
I watched it and it isn't bad. But ultimately it seemed more gimmicky than based on hard science. It works but not for any reason they give in the film.

Check out "Fathead" which is on Hulu and Netflix and he has a blog at http://www.fathead-movie.com/ that is really good too. It got me started on researching and then going Paleo for my diet. I dropped 10% body fat, lost 25 lbs and got to do it while eating as much bacon as I want. And my blood work came back better than ever after eating Paleo for 9 months. (Been at it for 1 1/2 years now)

I'm a big fan of Fathead and a big fan of actual science as well.  A lot of the extreme food documentaries don't seem to offer enough science... they are more of an ideology to me (like veganism).    FWIW, I eat a mostly Paleo diet.

Kazak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
I agree with AlexK.. Seems like a total waste to throw out all the fiber and just drink the juice. Might as well just blend it all together in a smoothie and consume the whole food. Plus, cleanup is way faster.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:20:51 AM »
It's a lot healthier to eat the food with fiber rather than just drink the juice too . . . paying for a juicer and then using it to throw out so much good food seems kind of like a wasteful fad.  It also takes a lot of time and cleanup.

Why not just eat the things you're juicing whole?

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
The juicer we have is super easy to clean up. Less than 5 minutes. Plus, I make muffins with the pulp, so I'm using that.

noob515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »
The juicer we have is super easy to clean up. Less than 5 minutes. Plus, I make muffins with the pulp, so I'm using that.

I've made carrot cake muffins from the juice and pulp, and they were awesome.

What kind of juicer do you have?  I feel like mine takes more than 5 minutes to clean...

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
I tried this diet about six months ago with my wife. As we were already eating a fair share of fruit and veges beforehand, it didn't do much to make me feel better than I already was and made neglible difference to our weight (admittedly, we were not too far from ideal weight anyway).

What the diet did do for me is to start hating vegetables I previously liked because they we being pulverised with other veges to make strange tasting "cocktails". But it was the Mustachian in me that stopped the diet pretty quick smart - it is expensive with all the fruit and veges you need to buy and very wasteful for how much of it you throw out as pulp.

Nonetheless, we've kept on with some of the fruit drinks we used to make, but instead of juicing them we blend them to reduce cost/waste and to keep all the fibre that would otherwise be thrown away. Watermelon/Peach and Watermelon/Apricot are two of our favourite combos.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »

I've made carrot cake muffins from the juice and pulp, and they were awesome.

What kind of juicer do you have?  I feel like mine takes more than 5 minutes to clean...

It's a Breville.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »
My wife watched the " fat sick" video and decided she needed to juice. We purchased the Jack Lalane juicer at wal mart for $99. and proceeded to juice for about a week. The waste was more than I could handle and it took a million carrots to make a few glasses. Pulp breads were terrible and the juicer took forever to clean!

Then, "the boss" tells me she wants a Blend Tec Blender. I return the juicer and research the Blender and say NO... (It's $400!)... She drags me to a presentation where they make a fresh fruit and veggie juice, then they make soup (it spins so fast it heats up) and then with the same unit they make ice cream! So we purchase the Blend Tec. (yes, I'm weak!) LOL  We have one, her parents have 2, and my parents have 1, and a few of my friends as well...  We use ours everyday...

Recently, I wanted to join a local cross fit gym and discovered the Paleo diet... We have since switched to 80-85% Paleo (can't afford all the organic meats- yet).  We both have way more energy. I've dropped around 20lbs and we still use the blend tec every day for the morning juice (fruit and veggie), in the afternoon I eat a huge salad and then for dinner we'll have a meat, vegetable and more salad. We've gotten to the point that if we eat bread or processed crap we don't feel too well...

So far, it's the best "diet" I've ever tried as you're not counting calories or points. Just eat clean and get off your butt and move around a bit. I'm rarely hungry and rarely even need caffeine anymore.  Additionally, there is a you tube video of a neuro scientist with MS that seems to have reversed the effects of the disease by going to a paleo type diet (also omitting nightshade veggies like tomato's, and peppers)

Check out Mark's Daily Apple blog for the 21 day challenge...  It could change your life.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
This week has been my detox from caffeine week. It has sucked. I am finishing day 5 right now. I'm not dying, but I was very headachy and sluggish for several days. I'm hoping that my tomorrow or Tuesday the worst of the withdrawals will be behind me.

I could eat meat once per day at night. I'm not a huge bread eater, but I do occasionally eat pasta and I'm a huge fan of the flour tortilla and brown rice. However, I will say, it wouldn't be that hard to give up. My weaknesses are coffee (which I'm doing away with now) and chocolate. Is chocolate on a Paleo diet? I'm a big dairy person, too. Is dairy on Paleo?

Perhaps I shall do some more research.

So far my fave juices are the following:
-carrot, green apple, celery, romaine, kale/spinach, cucumber and lemon
-apple, orange, pear, cantaloupe, cucumber, blueberry and strawberry
-watermelon and fennel

I also use some leftover green juice as salad dressing and it's pretty tasty mixed with a little olive oil.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 06:11:29 AM »
Paleo is one of those things where there's lots disagreement... Some people cut out all dairy. Check out Marks Daily Apple- he still uses some dairy as do I. I will use butter and small amounts of cheese. Others say organic chocolate might be ok, yet others disagree... As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea is to cut out as much processed stuff as possible and find a happy medium. Once you do that, you'll feel better and see a difference... 

Letting go of bread, pasta and rice wasn't as hard as it sounds....

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
I got into juicing for a while, it certainly made a difference in helping me jump start the change to a more healthy diet.  I started with a week long juice fast, really noticed the difference and broke some bad habits that needed breaking.

I would do it again as a type of fast, but probably not as a lifestyle.  But I highly encourage it for people who really need a dramatic change.

zoltani

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »

As an example, in one juice I can get all of the nutrition out of 3 pounds or so of carrots and one whole cucumber.  Could you possibly eat 3 pounds of carrots and a cucumber in one sitting?  I know I couldn't.

zoltani

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 01:25:32 PM »
I just want to add, just because you juice doesn't mean you stop eating fruits or vegetables.  Anyway, besides adding an apple into your juice for sweetness you are better off juicing your veggies and blending your fruits. 

Drinking the juice allows your body to assimilate the nutrients very quickly.  You can get your fiber from eating fruits and vegetables as part of your normal diet throughout the day.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »
(also omitting nightshade veggies like tomato's, and peppers)

You lost me there!  Even if real science came along and said they were bad, I can't imagine ever abandoning tomatoes!

zoltani

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
My understanding is that nightshade vegetables, especially when looking at chinese medicine, are considered acidifying (yang energy), so they need to be balanced with alkalizing foods (yin energy). 

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
My understanding is that nightshade vegetables, especially when looking at chinese medicine, are considered acidifying (yang energy), so they need to be balanced with alkalizing foods (yin energy).

So what you are saying is that there's no real reason for me to be worried?  Excellent :)

zoltani

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:35 PM »
I may or may not have that backwards...oops, i do not have my reference in front of me.  I will confirm later.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »
I may or may not have that backwards...oops, i do not have my reference in front of me.  I will confirm later.

Wait... you are actually serious?  I'm not not-worrying because it's "yin" vs "yang" energy.  I'm not worrying because I don't give a fig about Chinese medicine.

zoltani

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »
Lol, you may want to look into it as chinese medicine is based on prevention rather than curing sickness. 

I'm not saying you should start taking a daily supplement of deer testicles or anything :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
I'm...saying you should start taking a daily supplement of deer testicles
Jesus, Chinese medicine is just a little too weird for me.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is in my Netflix Q, I will check it out.

We got a juicer a couple of years ago and used it regularly. It was harder to rinse out than a cereal bowl, but nothing to bad. We used it every day and I had more energy and generally felt better. My husband occasionally says we should start doing it again as he felt much better when he started the day with fresh juice. It's more of a challenge these days as I'm allergic to certain raw fruits that are great to juice (apples, I'm looking at you).

Every couple of weeks someone in my office does this http://blueprintcleanse.com/ . DO NOT work out how much it costs, your head will explode.

My raw, vegan former-neighbor talked me into doing Master Cleanse with her one year. I can't argue about the merits or otherwise of it, but I felt amazing on it. It really showed me how much time I was spending chewing and eating. I realized on around Day 3 that previoulsy every time I walked past the fridge I would open it and eat something, something small like an olive, a sip of juice, a spoon full of left overs etc. It's a bit like reading ERE or MMM for the first time. It really helped me to focus on being mindful of what I was putting in my body.  The weird thing was that it took months for me to go back to eating things like meat and seafood. Also, my skin looked *fantastic*.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
I've struggled with adult acne for the last couple of years. Never had a pimple growing up and then BAM! in my mid-thirties, awful acne. In the last two weeks I gave up coffee and started regularly juicing and eating more plant-based foods. Still eating meat at one meal (typically chicken or fish) per day, generally. My skin is clearing up, it's amazing. I have two tiny spots now and the other marks are starting to fade. I haven't done anything different other than change my diet.

Also, my body is still healing from surgery, so if this helps I'll keep doing it. I generally juice every other day and make enough to last two days. I have been doing at least one green juice per day and one mixed fruit juice.

I do need to up my water intake, though. That's next on the agenda.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:40 AM »
I love juicing and nothing I juice goes to waste.  Admittedly, when I moved into my own home, sans a dishwasher, my juicer went in a cupboard and hasn't seen much light, but I just got a dishwasher last week and am primed to pull the juicer back out.

I felt 1,000 times better after about two days of juicing.  I didn't do a fast, just added it to my normal diet.  As a diabetic, I avoid fruit juices, but made lots of veggie juice.  My favorite:

3 carrots,
2 Celery stalks,
Handful spinach
handful kale
1/2 cucumber,
1/4 apple or pear (just enough for some sweetness)

The pulp is frozen in a zippy.  After a week I have enough to make awesome snack chips.  I take 4.5 - 5 cups of pulp and mix it with 1/2 cup of ground flax seed, 3 tbsp pizza season, and 1/2 tbsp salt.  I beat it in my kitchen aid until smooth and then spread it on the fruit roll up sheets for my dehydrator and dry it until it's cracker crisp.  Super tasty snack, awesome with fresh hummus!  Plus, easily uses up the fiber and ups your daily intake pretty quick because they are addictive!  I play around with the seasonings too to change it up.  Admittedly, this probably won't work out well if you are a big fruit juicer, but for veggies I find it most tasty! 

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:15 AM »
http://www.thewahlsfoundation.com/dr-wahls-gives-tedx-talk-on-overcoming-multiple-sclerosis/

http://paindatabase.com/nightshades/

I was looking for the video where Dr. Wahls spoke about nightshades... Basically, she was saying that the nighshades plants are known to cause inflammation in some people... I have read anecdotal responses from various people who cut all of the nightshades out of their diets and then gradually try to re-introduce them. Some folks are ok and others can tell a difference- usually with arthritic symptoms...

There's more than a few videos and lectures available online.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »

As an example, in one juice I can get all of the nutrition out of 3 pounds or so of carrots and one whole cucumber.  Could you possibly eat 3 pounds of carrots and a cucumber in one sitting?  I know I couldn't.

But you're not getting the nutrition of 3 lbs of carrots and a cucumber though . . . you're tossing most of it and keeping the sugars and some of the vitamins/minerals (the ones that that are water soluble and aren't damaged by the heat that the grinding plates of the juicer cause).  You would probably be better off eating a few carrots and some cucumber raw.

zoltani

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »

But you're not getting the nutrition of 3 lbs of carrots and a cucumber though . . . you're tossing most of it and keeping the sugars and some of the vitamins/minerals (the ones that that are water soluble and aren't damaged by the heat that the grinding plates of the juicer cause).  You would probably be better off eating a few carrots and some cucumber raw.

That is why you should use a masticating juicer instead of a centrifugal juicer, less heat and oxidization.

MafiaPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 11:47:25 AM »
I'm keto, not paleo.. I happily eat cheese, use heavy cream and butter.

Fathead was an awesome documentary.  I went keto in January.  Lost 32 pounds, slept better, had more energy.  Got lazy in June..  Gained 10 back.  Went keto again more than a month ago and am happier again. 

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »
I'm keto, not paleo.. I happily eat cheese, use heavy cream and butter.

Fathead was an awesome documentary.  I went keto in January.  Lost 32 pounds, slept better, had more energy.  Got lazy in June..  Gained 10 back.  Went keto again more than a month ago and am happier again.

Thats awesome. How many carbs do eat a day?

I saw fathead after reading this thread. Good movie. I also just read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Great book with lots of research to support is arguments.

I haven't gone full bore yet. I have just started cutting back on carbs. Mostly not eating bread and complete junk like potatoes, chips, pretzels. I'm moving in the direction of keto and will probably give it a shot here soon. Its nice to here from someone that's had a good experience.

MafiaPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »
20-30 a day.  Try to keep my carbs to veggies. 

When I fell off this summer, most days my carbs were under 150.  My choices had changed even though I still wanted the occasional McDs junky meal.   

I have more time now than I did last time, and I am having loads of fun modifying recipes and making everything taste as good as possible, not just for me but my non low carbing family.

I'm a redditor and find r/keto lots of great info.  I've started this round making alternative buns.. almond flour, coconut flour.. 

I like to serve dinners with two veggies, and a salad.  No one seems to miss the carby side, as long as there is enough food. 

Fave LC recipe site http://yourlighterside.com/your-lighter-side-cookbook/
Another great one http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
I've struggled with adult acne for the last couple of years. Never had a pimple growing up and then BAM! in my mid-thirties, awful acne. In the last two weeks I gave up coffee and started regularly juicing and eating more plant-based foods. Still eating meat at one meal (typically chicken or fish) per day, generally. My skin is clearing up, it's amazing. I have two tiny spots now and the other marks are starting to fade. I haven't done anything different other than change my diet.

Also, my body is still healing from surgery, so if this helps I'll keep doing it. I generally juice every other day and make enough to last two days. I have been doing at least one green juice per day and one mixed fruit juice.

I do need to up my water intake, though. That's next on the agenda.

Hey kkbmustang,

Just wondering about an update as to how this venture is going for ya? It looks like the most recent update was back in December 2012, and progress/updates since then - are ya still juicing?

I have seen this documentary a few weeks ago and I must admit I did not like it. I just thought it was poorly done. I've seen many documentaries, so maybe I'm a bit of a 'docu snob'  haha

It also didn't help that I was against the message - I had read a book on smoothies just before coming across this juicing doc. The book makes an argument that juicing is terrible because you're throwing away all the valuable fiber and drinking sugar.
I'm not saying either is a more valid argument - but I just think it's funny that we are a product of what we happen to stumble across. (had I seen this doc FIRST, I would probably think smoothies are inferior)

For the record the book I read was called The Body Reset Diet by Harley Pasternak (a good ol' Canadian boy).
I never did the 3 smoothies a day the book has you do for 5 days, but I've had amazing smoothies every morning for breakfast since reading.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
Hi-

The juicer got moved to boxes over the summer because we were in the midst of work on our house. But the work is done, and we're slowly unpacking. The juicer will be coming back in. I've heard all of the negative stuff about juicing and agreed that the documentary was a little hokey. But, I felt better juicing and, when I was doing it regularly, I was eating less crap. So, I can't see how it's not beneficial. I also used the fiber/remnants in muffins, so I was still eating the fiber, just in a different form. I'd say overall I was eating better when I was juicing, so it's probably a combination of the two.

I also make smoothies because my kids like them. We're equal opportunity juicers/smoothie makers around here.

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
Hi-

The juicer got moved to boxes over the summer because we were in the midst of work on our house. But the work is done, and we're slowly unpacking. The juicer will be coming back in. I've heard all of the negative stuff about juicing and agreed that the documentary was a little hokey. But, I felt better juicing and, when I was doing it regularly, I was eating less crap. So, I can't see how it's not beneficial. I also used the fiber/remnants in muffins, so I was still eating the fiber, just in a different form. I'd say overall I was eating better when I was juicing, so it's probably a combination of the two.

I also make smoothies because my kids like them. We're equal opportunity juicers/smoothie makers around here.

haha great! If you feel great juicing, what more could ya ask for!

I hope you're using 0% fat plain Greek yogurt for those smoothies. It is so healthy and makes the smoothie 10x better!

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2013, 11:59:12 PM »
We were turned on to juicing by a dietician friend. We also have a blendtec which we love and use all the time. We bought an omega masticating juicer on a lightning amazon deal for about half price. I think that is the difference between us juicing or throwing it in a box. It is super easy to clean. (About 3 minutes) and it easily does the leafy greens and wheat grass that centrifugal juicers can't do. Also the pulp is super dry, we really get a lot of juice. A recipe called for the juice of 6-8 lemons, or a certain measurement. I got enough out of three lemons.

We make a green juice every morning.  Why?  It feels incredible. If I start to feel a cold coming on, I Use extra citrus and ginger and the maximum each cold this year has lasted is 2-3 days. We also eat tons of whole veggies and fruit, because when you juice it is constantly around. I think I eat more than when I didn't juice. I'm not doing it for weight loss, so I can't comment on that.  I have no "proof", but my husbands tendinitis (shoulder/elbow) went away after a two day juice fast and hasn't come back. He was considering surgical options because he had tried PT, steroids, and anti inflammatlories. I also had a benign ganglion cyst that I was going to have removed that has shrunk back down to almost nothing.  Maybe not enough evidence to convince others, but enough to convince me!!!

My best advice: buy a masticating juicer. The others are junk.

Roses

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »
My best advice: buy a masticating juicer. The others are junk.

Do you mind telling me the brand and model you have?  I'm using a Breville and although I like it I do feel there is too much waste.  I saw the film and was intrigued, but not enough to do a full fast.  I just drink about 1 juice daily.  The best part is it has allowed me to stop buying juice from the store which my husband was addicted to.  If he's going to drink juice at dinner and give some to our son, I prefer it be my carrot-apple-spinach or some other combination than an expensive, pasteurized, store-bought OJ.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 06:36:14 AM »
Hi-

haha great! If you feel great juicing, what more could ya ask for!

I hope you're using 0% fat plain Greek yogurt for those smoothies. It is so healthy and makes the smoothie 10x better!

Why would you use 0% fat?  If you are going to eat dairy go full fat.  Fat is not the devil.

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »
Why would you use 0% fat?  If you are going to eat dairy go full fat.  Fat is not the devil.

I never said fat was the devil. The 0% tastes much better than the 9% and 2% fat greek yogurts, IMO. I get plenty of fat from the rest of my diet.
I just suggested what I use and like - if I had to stress one thing it wouldn't be the fat content, but to get PLAIN yogurt, not the ones that are flavoured with 12-20g of sugar per serving.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:19:59 AM by Sparafusile »

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »

I never said fat was the devil. The 0% tastes much better than the 9% and 2% fat greek yogurts, IMO. I get plenty of fat from the rest of my diet.
I just suggested what I use and like - if I had to stress one thing it wouldn't be the fat content, but to get PLAIN yogurt, not the ones that are flavoured with 12-20g of sugar per serving.

Fair enough if its for the flavor, I just get sick of all the pushers of low fat, reduced calories, sugar free, bs that has saturated american grocery stores.

Yes on the sugar, many low fat yogurts contain a lot of added sugar.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:20:26 AM by Sparafusile »

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
 I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!

Just had a Mean Green this morning. We juice ahead, put it in quart freezer bags and freeze them.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 09:06:09 AM »
Sorry I haven't seen the movie, nor do I juice.

But what is the point?  Just for the sake of eating more vegetables?  Couldn't you just....eat more fruit and vegetables and get the full benefit with fiber and what not.

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
Sorry I haven't seen the movie, nor do I juice.

But what is the point?  Just for the sake of eating more vegetables?  Couldn't you just....eat more fruit and vegetables and get the full benefit with fiber and what not.

I just juice to supplement my diet that is already very high in vegetable in fruits, low in animal products (no dairy at all, little meat and then only what I raise myself, for ethical reasons) and preprocessed foods. This is just a way to squeeze in a little more, and it is quick once you get them juiced. It's like a liquid fast food diet. Instead of a doughnut on the way out the door, I grab a juice packet. We cook some of our veggies, eat some raw, and juice some. It's just another way to get them into our bodies, no different from cooking and taking considerably less time. Except cooking degrades the nutrient content, and juicing doesn't.

Although smoothies should work fine, as well.

I have read nutrition experts who advise against juicing, but when you look at their reasoning it is flawed. They think you are loading up on the fruits, which would make it very high calory, when on my most of my juices, it is mostly low calorie vegetables, supplemented with fruit to sweeten the flavor. Very nutrient dense stuff.

We feed the pulp to our chickens, so we end up eating it either way, either via their eggs or their meat. Very little lost nutrients.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »
I don't think the fiber transmogrifies itself inside the chickens.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »
I just ordered a juicer that should arrive tomorrow and I'm very excited to get started! I'm not going to do anything as extreme as in the documentary, just supplement my normal diet with juice, or perhaps replace one meal per day with juice.

My fiance isn't the biggest vegetable fan, and it's always challenging for me to find new ways to incorporate a wide variety of veggies into our food, so I'm hoping this will be another tool I can use to get more vegetables in our diet. He'll eat veggies he likes whole, but the ones he doesn't like need to be hidden inside something else. Prepping veggies is a lot of work, so I really like the idea of juicing - it will quickly give me juice we can drink and pulp that I can use in sauces, veggie patties, chili, soup, etc. (The pulp actually excites me even more than the juice, it will save me from the hours I spend dicing and grating veggies so I can hide them in other dishes.)