Author Topic: Join me in a dry January  (Read 20683 times)

bittheory

• Stubble
Join me in a dry January
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »
Call it cliche, but January is the perfect time for me to go completely sober for the month, for a variety of reasons, most importantly as a personal challenge. I'm a moderate drinker, but the holidays kicked my ass with all kinds of opportunities to booze I didn't pass up. I must have had 20-24 drinks in two weeks. That's a lot for me. Call it detox, call it a challenge, call it whatever, but my goal is to not have a single drink this month.

Beyond not drinking, I'm also challenging myself in other ways:

-No red meat, and no more than 1 serving of meat a week
-No sugar, no sweetened baked goods, no desserts.
-Read every day
-Walk my dog 10 minutes longer every morning
-Walk 1-2 miles on my lunch break every weekday

If I can achieve half of above in addition to abstaining from the sauce, I'll be a happy camper. I've done this in the past and it's probably the best I've ever felt health wise and mentally in years. I also approach this challenge as a way to save money, save time, lose weight and be more productive. Ideally, Dry January transitions into Dry February and moderate drinking for the remainder of 2016. Who's in?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:16:42 AM by bittheory »

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Join me in a dry January
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »
I would join, but I drank on the 1st & 2nd since the New Year was landlocked by the weekend. I am fairly certain that I can go the rest of the month without any booze. I could use to cut way back on the booze. 2015 was one of the most challenging years in recent memory and I did hit the hooch hard as a result. Looking forward to being relatively sober this year while saving some $$$. Good luck to you as well with that and your other goals. Reading more is also on my list.

bittheory

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
I would join, but I drank on the 1st & 2nd since the New Year was landlocked by the weekend. I am fairly certain that I can go the rest of the month without any booze. I could use to cut way back on the booze. 2015 was one of the most challenging years in recent memory and I did hit the hooch hard as a result. Looking forward to being relatively sober this year while saving some $$$. Good luck to you as well with that and your other goals. Reading more is also on my list.

Do it. It's a fulfilling and rewarding month for reasons both physical and psychological. Also, I technically started my dry out yesterday, so we're in the same boat. Let's go!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:09:53 PM »
Hehe... I had plenty to drink for the last 3-4 days but I'm long overdue for a cutback.
I'm going to just box up and store all my home booze, but not necessarily forswear the odd social indulgence. Kudos to all who go to 0 though.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
I'm in. We're doing a Whole 30 (no grains, dairy, sugar, alcohol, etc.) and caffeine purge as well. Let's ride!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:13:54 PM »
I'm in. We're doing a Whole 30 (no grains, dairy, sugar, alcohol, etc.) and caffeine purge as well. Let's ride!
Coincidentally, I woke up this morning and decided to skip coffee for the first time in several months. I'm thinking about pushing it out for a while... the month, or whatever.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 01:19:04 PM »
I'd do this... but there is no point with alcohol for me--I love the stuff, but in a normal month don't drink more than 5 days and rarely have more than 10 drinks in a month. Although December was a bad one, don't take that as a normal month!

I am going to try to cut out red meat and cut way down on the heavy carbs though. Pants are fitting way too tight for my comfort.

Micona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »
Count me in as of today! I have on average at least 2 drinks a day on the weekdays, 3-5 on weekends. I cut back on craft beers the past couple months and started drinking wine with dinner in place of it. I can honestly say that I've lost 15 pounds just from that and feel much better overall.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 03:34:25 PM »
I'll do it from 1/6-2/6 since I have a work happy hour tomorrow with clients/channel partners.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 04:19:45 PM »
I'll join in on this for the rest of the month. I'm not a huge drinker as it is, but I'm on a mission to lose weight and this can only help my cause.

bittheory

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 04:59:17 PM »
Count me in as of today! I have on average at least 2 drinks a day on the weekdays, 3-5 on weekends. I cut back on craft beers the past couple months and started drinking wine with dinner in place of it. I can honestly say that I've lost 15 pounds just from that and feel much better overall.

Yes! Craft beer is a cruel temptress.

My goal is to eliminate craft beer entirely except for a special bomber to share on special occasions. No more craft IPA six packs. Those are love handle makers in disguise.

I hope to stick to wine when my dry out is over, maybe a bottle a week or so.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 07:47:41 PM »
I'm in*. I drank way too much in December. High point was vomiting on my workmates (don't worry, I live in Australia so people just think I'm a legend instead of being embarrassed by my drunken behaviour).

*I was actually already doing this as part of an elimination diet in January to isolate some food intolerances, but I can still join the challenge, right?

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »
OK screw it I'm in.  Although I did have a beer last night only because it was the last one in my fridge left over from a dinner with friends two weeks ago.  I didn't have alcohol for a week between Christmas and New Year because I was sick and to be frank I only drink out of habit.  I was a social drinker until I had kids and pretty much stop going out with friends at night.  From there I started drinking beer by myself because I was substituting it for going out, crazy how we are programmed even though we think that we are immune to advertising.  I now associate beer, mixed drinks, hard liquor, and wine with having company and friends.  So when I'm lonely at night I go and grab a beer.

I'll go from 1/4 to 2/4.  I'll still go out to bars with friends but I'll have water or my go to tonic and lime trick when I've had one to many.

I also plan on joining a gym and work out at night, that way I'm not stuck at home thinking if I should have a drink or not.  Idle hands are the devils playground.  I wanted to join months earlier but there was a crazy $150 membership sign-up fee, but it is being waved for January so I'm going to join now.

Good luck everyone!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »
Thrilled to find this.

I'd already started but it's good to have a thread devoted to it instead of just me giving marty998 daily updates, which I'm sure he's sick of already. :D

Other goals for January: no soft drink (pointless without spirits anyway), and no phones in bedroom (trying to create better tech boundaries in the long term, had to buy an alarm clock).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 10:05:27 PM »
I'm in*. I drank way too much in December. High point was vomiting on my workmates (don't worry, I live in Australia so people just think I'm a legend instead of being embarrassed by my drunken behaviour).

*I was actually already doing this as part of an elimination diet in January to isolate some food intolerances, but I can still join the challenge, right?

Onya. :)

Did you read Peter Fitz's piece last week on his year off booze?

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/peter-fitzsimons-how-i-gave-up-the-grog-20151202-gldn92.html

My favourite line:

(Part of it is, that as I am sober, I am no longer inclined to tell her, wit' shum detail, now you lishen to me ... a few things she desperately needs to be told!)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 10:12:50 PM »
Did you read Peter Fitz's piece last week on his year off booze?

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/peter-fitzsimons-how-i-gave-up-the-grog-20151202-gldn92.html

That was odd but good, thanks for the link! I liked what he said about sugar, too - my elimination diet has accidentally eliminated sugar from my diet (because what am I going to do, add a spoonful of sugar to my steak and veges?!) and I've been amazed at how I'm just not hungry like I usually am.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 10:23:26 PM »
As has been my tradition the past few years, I'm also abstaining from alcohol this month, with the exception of the last week of the month, while I'm vacationing! Also trying to eat half as many carbs over the same 3 weeks.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 11:26:16 PM »
I'm in.

Too be fair, I have just completed 4 years of sobriety, but have had an increasing interest in the last few months in starting drinking again.  Part of me just wants to see if I might be able to handle a moderate amount of drinking, but part of me does not want to tempt fate.

So, I pledge to not imbibe at all this month.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 12:14:50 AM »
Thrilled to find this.

I'd already started but it's good to have a thread devoted to it instead of just me giving marty998 daily updates, which I'm sure he's sick of already. :D

Other goals for January: no soft drink (pointless without spirits anyway), and no phones in bedroom (trying to create better tech boundaries in the long term, had to buy an alarm clock).

But I won't be joining you sorry :P

I love my drinks too much to do it. My little luxury in life.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 12:18:21 AM »
Thrilled to find this.

But I won't be joining you sorry :P

I love my drinks too much to do it. My little luxury in life.

Excellent. That way if I get too tempted by the (extensive) contents of the booze cupboard, I can count on you to come clean it out. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 12:54:55 AM »
Lemme at it lol

bittheory

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 11:18:47 AM »
Nice. I'm glad people are on board. Seems like this is something of a trend in the UK as well.

I plan on doing weekly updates throughout the month starting next Monday.

Micona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 04:16:18 PM »
So it's only day 2 of not drinking and I almost went and grabbed a beer. I didn't though because I felt the accountability and didn't want to let everyone else down. Hang in there everyone!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »
So it's only day 2 of not drinking and I almost went and grabbed a beer. I didn't though because I felt the accountability and didn't want to let everyone else down. Hang in there everyone!

Was it desire or habit?

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 08:17:41 AM »
I'm a little reluctant.... But I'm going to try. Ran out of homebrew kegs, finished the store bought keg, sold our beer festival tickets for this weekend, and my friends have said they will decline a beer at yoga tonight. The beer gods seem to be directing my fate.... If I can make it through one weekend I think it will get easier. That's better than nothing right? I can't remember a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday in years where I haven't had a drink! Also, I'm going to have to try really hard to not make up for it with other vices.

I'm excluding bitters. As that's the only way I'll make it through a day. Bitters, lime juice, and seltzer water have been quenching my thirst after work.

Monday 1/4 was the first drink free day for me!

And to remind myself later..... I'm hoping a dry January will remind or teach me:
- I can do physical activities without a reward drink.
- There are other things to do and places to see around the city other than breweries!
- I can be social without being loosened up by alcohol.
- $$$$$$$$
- That I am strong and can change my habits and life if I want to.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:27:59 AM by therethere »

bittheory

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
I'm a little reluctant.... But I'm going to try. Ran out of homebrew kegs, finished the store bought keg, sold our beer festival tickets for this weekend, and my friends have said they will decline a beer at yoga tonight. The beer gods seem to be directing my fate.... If I can make it through one weekend I think it will get easier. That's better than nothing right? I can't remember a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday in years where I haven't had a drink! Also, I'm going to have to try really hard to not make up for it with other vices.

I'm excluding bitters. As that's the only way I'll make it through a day. Bitters, lime juice, and seltzer water have been quenching my thirst after work.

Monday 1/4 was the first drink free day for me!

And to remind myself later..... I'm hoping a dry January will remind or teach me:
- I can do physical activities without a reward drink.
- There are other things to do and places to see around the city other than breweries!
- I can be social without being loosened up by alcohol.
- $$$$$$$$
- That I am strong and can change my habits and life if I want to.

Welcome to the challenge. I live in the land of craft beer (Denver) so the temptations are almost literally on every street corner. I'm 4 days strong now. The weekend will be the true test, however, because like you, I can't remember a weekend without a drink in a while...but I'm feeling good.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:27 AM »

Welcome to the challenge. I live in the land of craft beer (Denver) so the temptations are almost literally on every street corner. I'm 4 days strong now. The weekend will be the true test, however, because like you, I can't remember a weekend without a drink in a while...but I'm feeling good.

I too live in the city of vices! Let's see how it goes. I definitely have reigned it in the last few months by fitting in 2-3 days a week without alcohol.  Almost miraculously without trying just by having fancy fizzy water at home instead. I would like to say I don't go overboard on weekends as I've also slimmed it down to only 3-4 on weekend days the majority of the time . But lately it seems like my outings and friendships could be based solely on drinking. I'm probably just overthinking but I want to prove myself that's not the case! It will be interesting if I brew beer without a beer though.

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 01:39:44 PM »

Do it. It's a fulfilling and rewarding month for reasons both physical and psychological. Also, I technically started my dry out yesterday, so we're in the same boat. Let's go!

I'm on board. Maybe things in my life will improve as a result. Probably not, but at least I'll be saving money.

I would seldom drink during the week, but on the weekends I would cut loose and have 4-8 drinks in one session on Friday-Saturday nights. It would be more if it was a holiday or special occasion. Around Christmas and New Years, I flat out lost my mind and must have had 30+ drinks each of those weeks.

Micona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »

Was it desire or habit?

Habit. I usually have a drink or two after work to calm down. Started up running again to help break the habit.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 06:42:06 PM »
I'm in. I am not a huge drinker anyway. I partied like a rock star in my 20's, which resulted in bad stomach ulcers and a permanent no more than 2 drinks rule, so its not hard for me to cut back.

I typically drink for enjoyment, rather than getting drunk so that bit I will miss.

I am doing a less strict Whole 30 too.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 09:13:54 PM »
Awesome! I'm already doing this for January-February with several friends :)

I've realized that too many of my social interactions involve booze. Also, I recently got a new job that has a free company happy hour every Friday... so my regular (albeit free) drinking has increased a bit. Oh and the holidays happened. I'm due for a detox.

I've gone a few weeks without booze every once and a while, but never a whole month (well... since college). I figure 2 months is enough time to get used to not drinking at social engagements and resisting the urge to have a beer at company happy hours (even if it is "free").

Today is Day 6 and it's been super easy because I've been a recluse after the holidays. I can already see several opportunities for free booze in the next week, and I will drink water instead at all of them.

Cheers!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
Something that I have been trying when I'm at a friends place is having a mixed drink that is mostly pop. 1/2 shot of bourbon, 12 oz. of pop--people think you're drinking, you are drinking, you can participate in the social drinking stuff, but I'm not drinking even a single drink. Add in that I really don't like pop, and I can milk it for quite a while.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 08:26:48 AM »
Last night was hard for a few minutes. It was the one night a week I am all by myself and I usually just relax, read, and have a drink or two and putz around enjoying the quiet. I made pasta for dinner and literally had my hand on the boxed wine above the sink. I grudgingly put it back. But 5-10 minutes later I was over it. Really only day 3?

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
Last night was hard for a few minutes. It was the one night a week I am all by myself and I usually just relax, read, and have a drink or two and putz around enjoying the quiet. I made pasta for dinner and literally had my hand on the boxed wine above the sink. I grudgingly put it back. But 5-10 minutes later I was over it. Really only day 3?
I've been there. Maybe find another fancy non-alcoholic drink to enjoy? Like instead of relaxing with a glass of wine at night, I might make hot tea instead. Or sparkling water? Whatever you're into.

That way you're still "treating yourself" on your alone night, but without the alcohol.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »
I'm in by default as I quit drinking 5 months ago :-)  I was a heavy drinker before and am feeling infinitely better without alcohol.  Highly recommend a dry period to anyone!

TRBeck

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
Started Jan. 2 (anniversary was the 1st).

I have done eight months dry before with great results - I will do January and then decide what the plan is going forward.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »
I turned down 3 free drinks today at a work party.

High-five for will power!

bittheory

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:38 AM »

Well done. Free drinks are some of the hardest to give the Heisman.

It's going to be tough for me tonight. A snowstorm just hit the city and sometimes there's just nothing better than sipping on an imperial stout by the fireplace while snow falls at night. Sigh, maybe next winter.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »

It's going to be tough for me tonight. A snowstorm just hit the city and sometimes there's just nothing better than sipping on an imperial stout by the fireplace while snow falls at night. Sigh, maybe next winter.

See, this is why I don't necessarily like the "dry" periods if you aren't going to make it permanent. It should be treated as an indulgence. If it isn't a regular thing, why worry?

(I am doing my version of Janudry, which I am going to attempt to make permanent: Limit myself to 4 drinks a week, and actually watch what a drink is, instead of my normal 2-12 drinks a week)

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »
Good luck! I've been trying to throttle back my own drinking, because I've noticed how much better I feel when I haven't had any. Over the last few years I've had 1-2 beers per day and 3-4 shots of whiskey per week. Slowly been throttling back and am feeling the benefits!

I won't quit cold turkey, but I'm trying to eliminate pointless casual drinking from my life. For example, a habit that I'm trying to break is sometimes while I'm doing stuff around the house, I'll grab a beer to drink just because it's there. To curb this habit, I've been drinking a lot of cold water, which helps.

Another thing that has been working well for me now is sometimes I'll pour a beer, but my wife and I will share it. She rarely wants a whole one anyway, and this lets me enjoy half a drink without really any adverse effects. Also have started pouring myself VERY short pours of whiskey (1/4 to 1/3 ounce), enough to take tiny sips and wet the tongue and just get a few drops down the throat. This has the side benefit of making the bottle last much longer, which my wallet appreciates!

bittheory

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »

See, this is why I don't necessarily like the "dry" periods if you aren't going to make it permanent. It should be treated as an indulgence. If it isn't a regular thing, why worry?

(I am doing my version of Janudry, which I am going to attempt to make permanent: Limit myself to 4 drinks a week, and actually watch what a drink is, instead of my normal 2-12 drinks a week)

Totally understand. But the personal challenge of just being completely sober for a month straight is why I'm going to stick with it. Plus, the wife is pregnant, so at least she appreciates it.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2016, 12:54:41 PM »
I can't commit to a dry January since I've already had alcohol this month, but I was already planning on cutting back so I'm down for that. I'm doing it to save money too as well as cutting back the food budget.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »
I really want a drink tonight.

Micona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
I really want a drink tonight.

Same here. The "want" really elevates when the weekend arrives.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »

For me personally, the "dry" periods help jumpstart cutting back in general. I've just gotten so used to saying "Sure, I could have a beer. No problem" whenever offered and hardly ever saying no. It's easier to say no when your weekly limit is ZERO.

Like today, we had free beer at our weekly company meeting. Usually I would grab a beer, but today I had sparkling water instead. I realized that beer vs. no beer had zero effect on the rest of my day (except saving me some calories). As a result, I'll probably stop drinking beer at the Friday meeting since I'm just going to head home anyways and it doesn't really add any value to my life.

I've tried to instill a 6 drink/week limit before, but some unexpected event or scenario seems to comes up. And I think "Meh, why not?" and I end up breaking my limit. But really, it's whatever works for you. :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »
Our Red Wine Friday tradition has become a treasured institution around our place...so, no dice.

*sip*

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2016, 01:19:52 AM »
So far so good.  Although I did make it a point not to go anywhere near a bar or social gathering that might tempt me to have a drink.  The weekends are going to though, but my plan is to go workout instead of going out to eat or staying home and watching a movie.  My craving/desire for alcohol goes to zero after a good workout.  I recently just started exercising at night and I have been sleeping earlier and my overall mood has improved. 

Come on everyone let's see how long we can keep this up!  You can do it!!

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »
Off to a good start. Still on the wagon since 1/2. It was not too hard last night after a 60 hour workweek. Fridays/Saturdays are usually my night to imbibe. I still have some rum and Jagermeister left from the holidays, but I had some green tea instead and watched TV.

The quality of my sleep last night was amazing. I slept 9 hours. Sometimes, the alcohol will disrupt my sleep and I will only get 5-6 hours of broken sleep. I also feel energized, well rested and not hungover. I spent 50 minutes in beast mode on my cheap home mustachian elliptical and I feel great!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
I was tempted, but did not fail last night. Just found out I need to spend a lot of time this weekend preparing for something big, so that's all the motivation I need to stay sober until Monday!

I am also sticking to a strict calorie budget and trying to reduce carbs during this month, so we'll see if that results in any fat loss...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!