Author Topic: January Cycling Challenge 2017  (Read 5567 times)

jordanread

January Cycling Challenge 2017
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
The cycling challenge for January 2017 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

TrMama

Re: January Cycling Challenge 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »
Whew! I biked in the frigid cold today! Well, frigid for the PNW, it was -2C with gusts of 50km/hr. At times it felt like I was barely still moving forward.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »
Biking in wind gusts is hard! 

I'm off work this week and wouldn't drive anyway because it's quite literally a sheet of ice outside - so might take the bike to get groceries later.  On the other hand, I can do without eggs for a day or two ;)

freezerburn

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »
I'm in! I've been commuting to work on my bike 3 days out of 5, on average. I track miles in my phones "notes" app but it's just a single column of context-free numbers and I crave the spreadsheet information magic (informagic?) to be found here.

Eurgh, wind gusts. They struck me again on my route home tonight, but nowhere near as strong as 50km/hr!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
Ok, so does it count as biking if you are mostly walking your bike... and bike trailer... through the snowploughed mess that is supposed to have a bike path underneath it?

Hubby took the stroller and the car seats today, leaving me with walk to DS doctors appointment (and carry a 20lb squiggly baby & diaper bag & winter gear) or bike. So we biked, the quiet residential side streets have not been plowed since our first snow storm a few weeks ago, so it's rutted compacted about 20cm of snow. It was hard going, but the worst was actually on the bike path beside the plowed streets. Snow has been plowed onto the bike path, making it very difficult to get over the humps at intersections, and very narrow when the path runs directly beside the road. A lot of the time it was too narrow for the trailer... so I walked and dragged it through the snow. Phew!

I should have maybe taken the long tail cargo bike instead? It was a toss up between my studded tires on the commuter and the bike trailer that would protect DS if I fell, or the narrower long tail cargo bike sans studs (but it does have nice thick balloon tires) with a bike seat, where he would have been fairly upset if I tipped over, not hurt but scared.

On the bright side it probably would have been just as hard to walk with the stroller along those sections too? So at least I got to bike when it was clear :)

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
Ok, so does it count as biking if you are mostly walking your bike... and bike trailer... through the snowploughed mess that is supposed to have a bike path underneath it?

Hubby took the stroller and the car seats today, leaving me with walk to DS doctors appointment (and carry a 20lb squiggly baby & diaper bag & winter gear) or bike. So we biked, the quiet residential side streets have not been plowed since our first snow storm a few weeks ago, so it's rutted compacted about 20cm of snow. It was hard going, but the worst was actually on the bike path beside the plowed streets. Snow has been plowed onto the bike path, making it very difficult to get over the humps at intersections, and very narrow when the path runs directly beside the road. A lot of the time it was too narrow for the trailer... so I walked and dragged it through the snow. Phew!

I should have maybe taken the long tail cargo bike instead? It was a toss up between my studded tires on the commuter and the bike trailer that would protect DS if I fell, or the narrower long tail cargo bike sans studs (but it does have nice thick balloon tires) with a bike seat, where he would have been fairly upset if I tipped over, not hurt but scared.

On the bright side it probably would have been just as hard to walk with the stroller along those sections too? So at least I got to bike when it was clear :)

One of the things I love about Colorado Springs is that they actually have a separate department that plows the bike trails before the streets. They are usually clear by 4:30 - 5:00 the night after it snows, and on the rare occasion they are in a position to get snow from the streets plowed onto them, it doesn't happen.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
I'm back in! I took a spill on some black ice and hit my head (in helmet) about a month ago and my Dr. advised me to take a month off cycling just in case I had a minor concussion (though she thought it was unlikely). Got back on the bike yesterday (with a new helmet) and put my studded tires on last night. My commute is 7.5 miles round trip and I expect I'll be making it about four days a week this month, not much additional riding.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:40:04 AM »
I felt pretty cool riding my 8 mile commute home last night in 2 degrees and 6 inches of snow. Felt less cool this morning when I said "eff that" to riding in this morning in that after shoveling 6 inches of snow from my driveway and my neighbor's driveway in 2 degrees this morning.

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Check out my blog! www.fimposter.com
    • FImposter - A Journey from Imposter to Financial Independence
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
Hi there - just filled out the form again. I didn't end up logging anything last month - the ebike took longer to build than anticipated. But I took it for a couple test rides Saturday and Sunday, and now I'm ready to roll!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »
I felt pretty cool riding my 8 mile commute home last night in 2 degrees and 6 inches of snow. Felt less cool this morning when I said "eff that" to riding in this morning in that after shoveling 6 inches of snow from my driveway and my neighbor's driveway in 2 degrees this morning.

That's exactly how I am -- it's happened enough times now that I have to admit to myself that my body can't handle as much in the winter.  I don't know why, because I'm dressed well and am definitely warm enough, but after a day of biking and then shoveling the next morning I almost feel hungover and end up driving.  My goal is to ride every day but realistically it's been every other.  Isn't it fun riding in snow though???  I was in total amazement the first time, how much I loved it and how much less stressful it was than driving.

Hi there - just filled out the form again. I didn't end up logging anything last month - the ebike took longer to build than anticipated. But I took it for a couple test rides Saturday and Sunday, and now I'm ready to roll!

That's exciting! 

I'm back in! I took a spill on some black ice and hit my head (in helmet) about a month ago and my Dr. advised me to take a month off cycling just in case I had a minor concussion (though she thought it was unlikely). Got back on the bike yesterday (with a new helmet) and put my studded tires on last night. My commute is 7.5 miles round trip and I expect I'll be making it about four days a week this month, not much additional riding.

Oh geez!  I'm glad you're ok!!  Well now I feel like I have zero excuses for not riding this week!

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Check out my blog! www.fimposter.com
    • FImposter - A Journey from Imposter to Financial Independence
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »

That's exciting! 

Man oh man, it feels so good to be bike-commuting again! I used to have an easy 2 mile commute that I biked year round, but now in a different city I've got 16 miles one-way, and the wife is close enough to walk. I was afraid with my ebike build I wouldn't get as much of a workout, but riding in this morning that was definitely not the case - my fitbit says my average heartrate was 144 BPM for the ~55 minutes of riding. Free workout, savings of about $6 a day vs car, and really only takes an extra 10-15 minutes each way over the car. Mustachianism FTW!

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:04 AM »
We had some snow over the weekend (like much of the US east coast) so my ride in to work on Monday was a little more exciting than usual - tried to take a new-ish raised bikeway to work but although it had been plowed, people had then plowed their driveways (that cross the bikeway) and left little snowbanks. Not cool! So I tried to take a different way and ended up getting lost exploring the many one-way streets of the Harvard Divinity School campus.

Snow is basically all melted though now except for some snowbanks at corners. Gorgeous day today.

Shieldmaiden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »
Just got a working bike and am using it in place of the bus for various errands/commutes. Experimenting with sidewalk vs. road biking- but due to very high traffic in my city and a few incidents, it's looking like sidewalk is my best bet. Temperature varies- some days warm, some cold, but nothing impossible to deal with.

jordanread

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 06:38:43 AM »
Just got a working bike and am using it in place of the bus for various errands/commutes. Experimenting with sidewalk vs. road biking- but due to very high traffic in my city and a few incidents, it's looking like sidewalk is my best bet. Temperature varies- some days warm, some cold, but nothing impossible to deal with.

Good work on getting out there (and I love the username). If riding on a sidewalk seems safer, that's fine (especially in the winter), but remember that there are a separate group of laws, and your visibility to cars is limited. Very few drivers expect someone to be moving at our speeds on our sidewalk, and since they only worry about it at intersections, timing is almost always off. Just make sure you are aware.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 06:54:49 AM »
Greetings from the 22nd and 6/10 parallel!

Just inputed my miles for the month, and end of last year.  Haven't been around a computer as much as I've been doing quite a bit of cycling outside.  Today I rode 117mi, the furthest I've ever ridden in one day.  Pretty good ride except I forgot to refill water before starting the longest climb.  Had to stop at a Buddhist temple to refill my water, but this section of Taiwan there were no temples until I hit the top of the climb!  And then nobody was in the temple, called out a few times, walked around, and saw a drinking water heater which served warm or hot water.  Filled up my bottle and left roughly a quarter ($10NT) on the machine.  Made the descent into town much more pleasurable.

I'll be moving back to the states this Saturday, which might see a sudden drop in miles as the Pacific Northwest seems to have gotten stuck producing insane amounts of snow for the area.

jordanread

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 07:00:59 AM »

Just inputed my miles for the month, and end of last year.  Haven't been around a computer as much as I've been doing quite a bit of cycling outside.  Today I rode 117mi, the furthest I've ever ridden in one day.  Pretty good ride except I forgot to refill water before starting the longest climb.  Had to stop at a Buddhist temple to refill my water, but this section of Taiwan there were no temples until I hit the top of the climb!  And then nobody was in the temple, called out a few times, walked around, and saw a drinking water heater which served warm or hot water.  Filled up my bottle and left roughly a quarter ($10NT) on the machine.  Made the descent into town much more pleasurable.

I'll be moving back to the states this Saturday, which might see a sudden drop in miles as the Pacific Northwest seems to have gotten stuck producing insane amounts of snow for the area.

What month did your logging taper off? Do you need me to re-import some of the old history? I mean, it won't show up until next month, but still.

Shieldmaiden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »

Good work on getting out there (and I love the username). If riding on a sidewalk seems safer, that's fine (especially in the winter), but remember that there are a separate group of laws, and your visibility to cars is limited. Very few drivers expect someone to be moving at our speeds on our sidewalk, and since they only worry about it at intersections, timing is almost always off. Just make sure you are aware.

Downtown and in other nicer residential areas of town, I'll still bike in the road. However, my campus is nestled in an unsavory area and biking in the road attracted some unwanted attention. Taking alternate routes should partly solve the problem, but in other high-speed, high-traffic areas I'll stay on the sidewalk. I've already checked local ordinances, and I'll be sure to move slowly in areas with poor/obstructed visibility. Thank you for the advice!

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »
Hey there. I just joined up but not sure how to input your distance. Do we do it straight into the google docs?

Also I noticed there is a MMM club on strava but it seems very lightly attended.

It's summer down here in Melbourne, Aus, so I may have a slight advantage over all you northern hemispherers.

jordanread

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 06:26:47 AM »
Hey there. I just joined up but not sure how to input your distance. Do we do it straight into the google docs?

Also I noticed there is a MMM club on strava but it seems very lightly attended.

It's summer down here in Melbourne, Aus, so I may have a slight advantage over all you northern hemispherers.

You have a sheet with your username. For each day, insert your kilometers into column E on your sheet. That will then propagate throughout the spreadsheet. The strava club was one built by one of the participants (ohyanghao I think), and I'm glad you said something. That needs to be in the main post, but since I didn't do that (and haven't for a while), that's probably why it's lightly attended. Join the strava group, and as this year progresses, hopefully it'll get more people.

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 06:37:09 AM »
Ah ok, and wow - very comprehensive!  I didn't see the individual sheets.

I've joined the strava group. Strava is a really excellent free GPS based ride tracker for those not familiar with it it.  It does however require a smart phone or *gasp* dedicated GPS unit, which may prevent the most frugal out there from using it.

Is it okay to input distance travelled on the google doc weekly? I will struggle to do it daily.

jordanread

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »
Ah ok, and wow - very comprehensive!  I didn't see the individual sheets.

I've joined the strava group. Strava is a really excellent free GPS based ride tracker for those not familiar with it it.  It does however require a smart phone or *gasp* dedicated GPS unit, which may prevent the most frugal out there from using it.

Is it okay to input distance travelled on the google doc weekly? I will struggle to do it daily.

Oh absolutely. This is, at it's most basic, just a motivational tool. There aren't real guidelines, or anything. I would ask that all mileage is entered by the end of the month, as I usually do an import the next morning, and that ensures that your historical data is accurate. I mean, I can do it manually if for some reason it's not available or something comes up, but I spent a fair amount of time automating it as much as possible.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »

I've been taking advantage as much as I can of the nice weather here in Taiwan.  We've been sticking around 25C during most days, and dropping to maybe 17C at night.  Sadly I'm moving back to where there is a thing called winter, and from what I've heard from friends they have been getting plenty of it.

What month did your logging taper off? Do you need me to re-import some of the old history? I mean, it won't show up until next month, but still.

I filled in November, and copied it to my sheet for December, but that apparently didn't propagate to January.  In January I finished off December's then updated both November and December on January's.  All this was done only on my personal sheet, which I'm assuming is why it didn't push the corrected numbers forward.

jordanread

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »
I did a reimport of all history for all participants going back to June last year. You should be fine next month.

kodokan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
Just sent my form in to join! I'm logging bike miles this year anyway as part of my 2017 Bike Vs Car Challenge, so it'll be fun to compare how I'm doing and talk bikes with other riders. I don't have a regular work commute but am planning to use my bike for as many errands and grocery runs as possible, as well as do some recreational rides and hopefully even some bike camping. I have a long tail cargo ebike.

How do I do logging? Will I get my own spreadsheet username tab in a little while, once jordanread gets a chance to update? (Edit: Oh, I see I'm already in - great!)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:28:40 PM by kodokan »

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 08:35:45 PM »
Two days back at work from my maternity leave (yes I know we have amazing mat leave in Canada!), and I am 2/2 for biking :). The first day I forgot my bike lock, and had to beg a safe place to store it from the security guard, but I now have access to our bike cage :)

The the melting icing slush is hard work! Luckily it's a remarkably short 2k to work.

As I don't have a parking spot, I don't really have a back up plan other then walk, so I suspect I will be biking through almost anything...

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 07:22:16 AM »
This morning I was all dressed up, lights on, helmet and gloves on, then "meh" and took the metro instead.  It's not even cold right now, comparatively, so....?  Historically I'd be beating myself up mentally for not sticking to my plan/goals, but I realized yesterday that this is the first winter I can ever remember where I haven't gotten ill at least twice by this time.  I might have accept that my body doesn't do well during months without seeing daylight more than once a week.  And I'm not young enough to spring right back from overdoing it ;)

I think getting out on my days off when it's sunny will change my apathy, so that's the plan for this week! 

kapnfriday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Graying Saver
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
I should be up to 72 miles biked for January, but the summary sheet is only showing me at 36.  Am I doing something incorrectly? 

Thanks,

kf

jordanread

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
I should be up to 72 miles biked for January, but the summary sheet is only showing me at 36.  Am I doing something incorrectly? 

Thanks,

kf

Looks like you (or someone) edited the summary sheet directly, so it was just a value, instead of linking to your sheet. I've resolved that.

To that end, the following people need to ensure they are updating their own sheets, not the summary page:
Duck Duck
ShieldMaiden

Comment here once you've done that, and I'll fix it on the Summary page. The summary page is supposed to be a quick glance. No user data is grabbed from there for historical data, it's all from individual sheets.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
Been car free for 16 days here.  Feels pretty good, and a lot different than always having the reassurance that there's a car as backup, or to purchase a lot of items.  Now I find myself having to contemplate what i'm going to purchase beforehand, and if I'll be able to fit it in my bag and bring it home.  So far I have not had to put any items back due to not fitting in the bag, but I've packed it very full.

Currently for commuting I'm riding an old mountain bike that came with the room I'm renting, left behind by its previous owner.  Started out with really wacked out spokes, every other spoke on the same side being a different tension.  That caused a lot of brake rubbing with every spin of the wheel.  Luckily I happen to be one who can true a wheel, and spent a good hour doing so.  Now there is still a little wobble due to one spoke being stuck, but no more rubbing.

Weather seems to have let up a bit and my usual group got together on Sunday afternoon for a ride.  I had set out early and done some extra hills beforehand.  We get riding, and at one point after a hill I go back to sweep everyone up, though it turns out I miscounted and went too far looking for the last person who had already gone by.  Ironically, I get back to the spot and it turns out that everyone had left.  I didn't have the route map on me, and I set out to catch them.  I came across a turn off that looked very familiar, at which point i decided to stop and try to look at the route on my phone.  Coincidentally my phone had died.  I went back to the original spot, nobody there still, rode around and looped back, then back tracked.  It was getting late with a threat of rain, so I just rode back figuring I'll get online as soon as I get home and let them know I'm okay.

I get back home, log on to my computer, and post on the rides Meetup.  Got the phone number to the organizer and gave her a call.  Turns out they didn't realize I was gone, another couple in the group had turned back and they thought I had maybe gone with them.  Overall I rode 80mi that day.  Felt pretty good knowing that I could handle it, even with only a single Clif bar on hand.  Plus, on the way home, I finally beat one of my rivals on a segment that I've been gunning for the past 6 months.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 01:21:45 AM »
Found out my commuter had a chain about to break.  Wow, did I get a surprise from the LBS.  I've never actually gotten anything repaired there before because I do the repairs myself, but this time I thought, hey, I'll just let them fix it, it'll save me a pair of gloves and some time.  Turns out the labor cost more than the chain!  Now I can definitely justify all the tools I've bought.  I also just bought a cable and housing cutter, which is less than the chain and labor I just paid for.

Not to get me wrong, some people are completely inept when it comes to repair work, like I am when it comes to construction.  Just a bit of a shock to my wallet is all.  There also seems to be a click going on now that wasn't going on before, but I regress.

Ended the month well, had to kick myself in the pants over my poor performance recently.  Sort of a shocker going from lows of 70 to highs of 40.  Took a well deserved rest day (other than commuting) yesterday and got back on the trainer tonight, even though it was a lack luster effort.  Should do better tomorrow.  The weekend looks like it's going to be indoor trainer weather again, may need to open a window as it gets stuffy in my room while cycling indoors.

kapnfriday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Graying Saver
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »
Jordanread - thanks for fixing the summary sheet.  Much appreciated.

72 miles is a lot more than I expected I would ride in January.  I'm hoping to add some non-commuting trips in February to both increase my overall mileage and cut down on gas spending.  We spent $128 on gas in January and I'd like to see that get below $100 for February. 

jordanread

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 09:11:40 PM »
New challenge is up. Jump on in here!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!