Author Topic: January Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 65386 times)

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
Re: January Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »
I thought I saw a picture of a rear fender that mounted to the seat post. It looked higher up so snow would not really pack to it while riding. If anyone has pick or link to cheap one I could buy I would appreciate it.

jordanread

« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »
I thought I saw a picture of a rear fender that mounted to the seat post. It looked higher up so snow would not really pack to it while riding. If anyone has pick or link to cheap one I could buy I would appreciate it.
One of the people I know use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/SunLite-29066-Seat-Post-Clamper/dp/B000AO7FTK

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »

http://www.mec.ca/product/5020-479/portland-design-works-sodapop-fenders/?f=10+50153

jordanread

« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2015, 05:26:38 AM »
Ah. Finally. After 4 days of not riding, I am packing my pannier, and getting ready to head out on this beautiful, dark, brisk morning. I may add a detour (depending on timing) to go grab an InStep bike trailer. That will be the start of some other shifts, like the grocery shopping! Have a great ride out there everyone.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2015, 05:46:16 AM »
Ah. Finally. After 4 days of not riding, I am packing my pannier, and getting ready to head out on this beautiful, dark, brisk morning. I may add a detour (depending on timing) to go grab an InStep bike trailer. That will be the start of some other shifts, like the grocery shopping! Have a great ride out there everyone.
Whoo bike trailer!
I got one several months ago so I could do go do grocery shopping at a Korean grocery that's about 13 miles away. I've only used it three times (since I can usually manage with panniers when going to American groceries, but I stock up on meat when I go to the Korean one), but man is it a great workout. I always walk away from those rides
  • Feeling like a badasss (I've dragged 100% and 71% of my body weight on the way back on different occasions)
  • Having enjoyed a great ride (I go on Sunday mornings, pretty peaceful except for a 1-2 mile segment with busy traffic)
  • A ton of meat that will usually last me about 3-4 weeks
Trailers are great. Just a couple things I've noticed
  • Try to load as much of the weight as possible in the kids seats themselves (the trailer will probably be rated for about 100 lbs across two children - but that rating only applies if they sit in the intended location)
  • If the trailer doesn't have a third wheel by the attachment to your bike, DO NOT put any substantial amount of weight in the front of the trailer where the kids' feet would go. I did this, and got two flats before I realized it was putting excess weight on the rear axle of my bike.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »
Whoo bike trailer!
I got one several months ago so I could do go do grocery shopping at a Korean grocery that's about 13 miles away. I've only used it three times (since I can usually manage with panniers when going to American groceries, but I stock up on meat when I go to the Korean one), but man is it a great workout. I always walk away from those rides
  • Feeling like a badasss (I've dragged 100% and 71% of my body weight on the way back on different occasions)
  • Having enjoyed a great ride (I go on Sunday mornings, pretty peaceful except for a 1-2 mile segment with busy traffic)
  • Try to load as much of the weight as possible in the kids seats themselves (the trailer will probably be rated for about 100 lbs across two children - but that rating only applies if they sit in the intended location)
  • If the trailer doesn't have a third wheel by the attachment to your bike, DO NOT put any substantial amount of weight in the front of the trailer where the kids' feet would go. I did this, and got two flats before I realized it was putting excess weight on the rear axle of my bike.

Interesting information about the flat on the bike.  I don't use the hitch they gave me (hooks on the skewer), and I have reinforced my kids trailer with some wood + cardboard on the kids seat that puts all the weight onto the aluminum frame instead of fabric.  I've carried a bunch of bricks in it before, not sure how much they weigh, but have never ran a flat.  I'll watch out for that though.

Coincidentally last night I ordered a pizza (50% off because the Seahawks won) and rode my bike (workhorse) + trailer to pick it up 2.75mi away.  It was great fun, a good workout, probably burnt a slice of pizza in calories just getting the damn thing, but still got up to 24mph down a short hill.  The adjustment I made to the seat fixed the issues I've had before with this bike.  For the two of us the pizza will last about 3 meals, making it roughly $1.50/person/meal.  A couple weeks ago I was having a friend help with truing a rim at his place and ordered a pizza as payment and had it delivered, will never do again.  Pizza cost $10 + $3.50 delivery fee + tax + tip, ended up spending $20, how the hell is that affordable?  Feel a lot better with my $10 pizza being picked up in my bike trailer.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
probably burnt a slice of pizza in calories just getting the damn thing
Nice one =P

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »

jordanread

« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2015, 05:55:15 PM »
Just had to leave this here!  Holy Shit!

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20141110-watch-207mph-on-a-bicycle
Why. Just...why?
Um... Because it's awesome!!!

Also, I broke 200 miles today! Yay me.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
Why. Just...why?

That is a great question!  I have no idea.  It just seemed so...fast?  At least; compared to slogging through quicksand-like snow at -20C under which was random sketchy-ice-rutty-shit that had me gasping for breath in an attempt to maintain forward momentum while simultaneously making micro and macro adjustments in a surprisingly successful attempt at remaining vertical on my commute?  Oh, and also I noticed it when I saw this old article...http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140404-yes-you-can-retire-at-40

:-)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »
Why. Just...why?

That is a great question!  I have no idea.  It just seemed so...fast?  At least; compared to slogging through quicksand-like snow at -20C under which was random sketchy-ice-rutty-shit that had me gasping for breath in an attempt to maintain forward momentum while simultaneously making micro and macro adjustments in a surprisingly successful attempt at remaining vertical on my commute?  Oh, and also I noticed it when I saw this old article...http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140404-yes-you-can-retire-at-40

Haha I meant why would that guy do this. You lose control at that speed and you're just done.

jordanread

« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »
Why. Just...why?

Haha I meant why would that guy do this. You lose control at that speed and you're just done.

But can you imagine the adrenaline rush afterwards? Oh man!! And to think, for all this time, I thought, hydrogen peroxide was for putting in enemies shampoo.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »
But can you imagine the adrenaline rush afterwards? Oh man!! And to think, for all this time, I thought, hydrogen peroxide was for putting in enemies shampoo.
Haha I guess. But I get plenty from cycling under my own power =P

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »
Why. Just...why?

Hardly. MotoGP dudes crash at those sorts of speeds all the time and just slide away. That's the benefit of not being trapped in a 4000 lb. hunk of metal

jordanread

« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2015, 04:45:07 AM »
[...]
slogging through quicksand-like snow at -20C under which was random sketchy-ice-rutty-shit that had me gasping for breath in an attempt to maintain forward momentum while simultaneously making micro and macro adjustments in a surprisingly successful attempt at remaining vertical on my commute? 

I loved that line. It surprises me sometimes too, at how successful I am at not falling.

Whoo bike trailer!

I haven't gotten it yet, but I will later today. If it's rated for only 100lbs, how did you wind up pulling your body weight...unless you are very small? I will most likely do some modifications on it, but I'll have to look at it first. I'm going to store it at my office until tomorrow, and then use it for my first ever grocery trip by bike on the way home.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2015, 06:02:21 AM »
[...]
slogging through quicksand-like snow at -20C under which was random sketchy-ice-rutty-shit that had me gasping for breath in an attempt to maintain forward momentum while simultaneously making micro and macro adjustments in a surprisingly successful attempt at remaining vertical on my commute? 

I loved that line. It surprises me sometimes too, at how successful I am at not falling.

Whoo bike trailer!

I haven't gotten it yet, but I will later today. If it's rated for only 100lbs, how did you wind up pulling your body weight...unless you are very small? I will most likely do some modifications on it, but I'll have to look at it first. I'm going to store it at my office until tomorrow, and then use it for my first ever grocery trip by bike on the way home.
I only weighed 123 at the time (and I'm 5'11" - hence my goal on the strength & fitness thread to gain 15 pounds this year). And the trailer weighs 27 lbs or so.

You will also have to figure out how to get more fragile groceries, like some fruits, home without too much damage (unless you don't care).

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »
Tuesdays are generally my longest biking day because I go to chorus rehearsal after work, so I end up biking across town (well, technically across one town and three cities, but it's Boston, so they're small) at 10PM. I go down fairly busy streets and it's dark and sometimes it's a bit stressful.

Well, last night some of us went out for a beer after rehearsal, and damned if the traffic at 11PM isn't about a million times quieter than at 10PM! Or maybe that beer really, really mellowed me out.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »
Tuesdays are generally my longest biking day because I go to chorus rehearsal after work, so I end up biking across town (well, technically across one town and three cities, but it's Boston, so they're small) at 10PM. I go down fairly busy streets and it's dark and sometimes it's a bit stressful.

Well, last night some of us went out for a beer after rehearsal, and damned if the traffic at 11PM isn't about a million times quieter than at 10PM! Or maybe that beer really, really mellowed me out.
While Massachusetts doesn't seem to do this, some (apparently most?) states define a bicycle as a vehicle (not a motor vehicle) and just subject bicyclists to all rules pertaining to vehicles. They then add in some (hopefully) sensible exceptions for bicycles, such as riding in the bike lane.
I bring this up not targeted at you in particular mskyle, since MA doesn't seem to do this, but because that also means that it in some states it is legally technically possible to get a DUI while riding a bicycle. http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/dui-arrest-on-bicycle.htm

Now obviously, your chances of a police officer actually caring about this are essentially zero unless you hit someone. But just something to be wary of.

jordanread

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
Super fun ride in this morning. The snow doesn't appear to be stopping, so my first time with a trailer should be pretty awesome with snow. And the first grocery trip in the snow tomorrow. Regular trips are going to seem super easy.

I only weighed 123 at the time (and I'm 5'11" - hence my goal on the strength & fitness thread to gain 15 pounds this year). And the trailer weighs 27 lbs or so.

You will also have to figure out how to get more fragile groceries, like some fruits, home without too much damage (unless you don't care).

I had to look up pictures of that height and weight...the only frame of reference I had was Jack Skellington :). And I'll get the fragile stuff figured out, although I'm not sure now. I might just keep the eggs and what not in the panniers, and everything else on the trailer. It's going to be a learning experience for sure, but those are the best experiences!

While Massachusetts doesn't seem to do this, some (apparently most?) states define a bicycle as a vehicle (not a motor vehicle) and just subject bicyclists to all rules pertaining to vehicles. They then add in some (hopefully) sensible exceptions for bicycles, such as riding in the bike lane.
I bring this up not targeted at you in particular mskyle, since MA doesn't seem to do this, but because that also means that it in some states it is legally technically possible to get a DUI while riding a bicycle. http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/dui-arrest-on-bicycle.htm

Now obviously, your chances of a police officer actually caring about this are essentially zero unless you hit someone. But just something to be wary of.

It always pays to be careful, though. But we have bike brewery tours around here, even though I think you can get a DWI/DUI on a bike.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
I had to look up pictures of that height and weight...the only frame of reference I had was Jack Skellington :).
Haha not quite that bad....but yea I'm unhealthily skinny. It's a work in progress

And I'll get the fragile stuff figured out, although I'm not sure now. I might just keep the eggs and what not in the panniers, and everything else on the trailer. It's going to be a learning experience for sure, but those are the best experiences!
Yea that's what I end up doing - panniers for the more fragile stuff. Another strategy that might work is purposely trapping a lot of air in your grocery bags when you tie the ends together. But that will take up quite a bit of volume, something I don't have because I have a road bike (which surprisingly had eyelets for a rear rack, but doesn't have a geometry optimized for panniers) and I had to get smaller panniers so I didn't get heel strikes.

It always pays to be careful, though. But we have bike brewery tours around here, even though I think you can get a DWI/DUI on a bike.
Oh I know. I don't plan on riding my bike while intoxicated. But I put that last statement in there because last time I brought a similar thing up some people were up in flames and said oh well it's an unenforced law, meaning its not actually a law and can be ignored.

Bike brewery tours...are advocated by the breweries themselves? Or it's just a bunch of people who decide on their own to do a brewery tour on a bike?

jordanread

« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »

Oh I know. I don't plan on riding my bike while intoxicated. But I put that last statement in there because last time I brought a similar thing up some people were up in flames and said oh well it's an unenforced law, meaning its not actually a law and can be ignored.

Bike brewery tours...are advocated by the breweries themselves? Or it's just a bunch of people who decide on their own to do a brewery tour on a bike?

I highly suggest riding your bike drunk at least once, just do it on grass in a park. :-) The brewery tours are sponsored by a charity who partners with the breweries and restaurants. During the summer, every Tuesday or Thursday, and then they do a huge drunken scavenger hunt at some point during the summer. I haven't gone to that one, but I heard the cops close down lanes in the street. During my favorite event of the year (Starlight Spectacular - a 12 - 19 mile ride in the middle of the night), they have beer stands set up at the start, too.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
I highly suggest riding your bike drunk at least once, just do it on grass in a park. :-) The brewery tours are sponsored by a charity who partners with the breweries and restaurants. During the summer, every Tuesday or Thursday, and then they do a huge drunken scavenger hunt at some point during the summer. I haven't gone to that one, but I heard the cops close down lanes in the street. During my favorite event of the year (Starlight Spectacular - a 12 - 19 mile ride in the middle of the night), they have beer stands set up at the start, too.
Haha that sounds pretty awesome

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
Riding drunk – just check out beer bike on a search !! that’s the way to do it!

Anyway – I’m just chiming in to say I knocked 5 minutes off my best time to work this morning!! Yes I’m still a fat bastard but I’m a quicker fat bastard. 41 minutes door to door through traffic that I had to wait for the lights at a couple of times. Its still slow but I’m happy to see improvement. Its just under 8 miles and I want that time down to 30 minutes. Still a way to go!!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2015, 01:55:19 PM »
Part of the riding drunk thing is watching how much you drink.  Most of my group rides have a bar stop towards the end.  Here I believe the limit is 0.08%, but being a light weight one beer can get me a little wobbly on the bike until I get going.  I have seen a drunk guy riding his bicycle North in the Southbound lane of traffic completely unaware of why cars would be flying at him.

jordanread

« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
Riding drunk – just check out beer bike on a search !! that’s the way to do it!

Anyway – I’m just chiming in to say I knocked 5 minutes off my best time to work this morning!! Yes I’m still a fat bastard but I’m a quicker fat bastard. 41 minutes door to door through traffic that I had to wait for the lights at a couple of times. Its still slow but I’m happy to see improvement. Its just under 8 miles and I want that time down to 30 minutes. Still a way to go!!

Oh yeah, those are fun. I'd almost rather have one for friends, though. Or a side business. On principle I wouldn't server lite beer.

Congrats on the new record! Don't sell yourself short, though. I still think I suck at riding...slow cadence, overweight, etc. But every group ride I've been on, I've been in the top 20%, and it always surprises me.

Haha that sounds pretty awesome

You have no idea. This past year had 1500 people and they closed down some huge streets for us. As we went out on one of the main streets (like 3-4 lanes each way), just surrounded by bikers without a car on the road, I couldn't help but shouting "NOW'S OUR CHANCE!! WE CAN TAKE THE CITY!!!"

Here is just a quick idea as to what it was like...granted a video can't really compare to being there. Everyone decks out their bikes in lights and glow sticks.

2014 Starlight Spectacular

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
IMO the InStep trailers are garbage that shouldn't have ever been manufactured, but I suppose it comes down to how often you'll use it and the price. Basically they have really shitty hubs and wheels.

Definite +1 to fragile items on the panniers OR having a cargo net. It's less the bouncing into other objects and more the bouncing up and down because objects are loosely packed that causes the damage. Eggs go on top AND are snugly packed enough to not move around. I haven't broken an egg in months, but until you get the hang of it, even if you use no bags for the rest, for sure wrap the egg carton in a plastic bag. Broken eggs be no fun to clean out of a trailer or pannier.

Bananas also need to be on top. They are very fragile and sensitive to weight being on top of them.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
Oh yeah, those are fun. I'd almost rather have one for friends, though. Or a side business. On principle I wouldn't server lite beer.

Congrats on the new record! Don't sell yourself short, though. I still think I suck at riding...slow cadence, overweight, etc. But every group ride I've been on, I've been in the top 20%, and it always surprises me.

Oh hell yes!  No lite beer - or mass commercial stuff.....  micro brew only!!

cadence - I got some but I just can't always find it.

Its coming back though – I pedaled most of the way – very little freewheeling today and just little things like yesterdays average gear was easy today. Yesterdays hard was average.

Just got to keep on going and riding. I was chatting at the bike shop a few days ago – they have a Sunday morning ride and I’m so far short of that…. But then am I – they look to do 15mph average – I was at over 11mph while carrying all my work stuff in panniers… not ready for a 2 hour ride yet though!!

Biking everywhere with all the lights sounds awesome

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »
IMO the InStep trailers are garbage that shouldn't have ever been manufactured, but I suppose it comes down to how often you'll use it and the price. Basically they have really shitty hubs and wheels.
*shrug* It was $40 used from Craigslist and I've only used it three times so far in the past couple months. We'll see how long it lasts.

jordanread

« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »

Definite +1 to fragile items on the panniers OR having a cargo net. It's less the bouncing into other objects and more the bouncing up and down because objects are loosely packed that causes the damage. Eggs go on top AND are snugly packed enough to not move around. I haven't broken an egg in months, but until you get the hang of it, even if you use no bags for the rest, for sure wrap the egg carton in a plastic bag. Broken eggs be no fun to clean out of a trailer or pannier.

Bananas also need to be on top. They are very fragile and sensitive to weight being on top of them.

Yeah, I don't know that I am going to use it as designed. I'm more interested in just the frame. This is just a first one, to see how I like it, similar to my recommendations for the beginner bikers. I will most likely end up upgrading to a utility trailer that mounts to the post or my rack as opposed to the 'reach around' (*childish snicker*) method of these trailers.

Oh, and if all goes according to plan, I'll be using it weekly for my grocery run. I'll find out the issues pretty quick. :)

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »
I had my first 'drivers are really idiots' moment today. 

They're starting to put more bike lanes in throughout town, and one new connection is on a road I take for work.  They repaved the road in December, but just painted the lines for the bike path.  It's a two-way path on one side of the street, instead of each side having a one-way lane.

So today I decided to take my first trip down this new path, instead of hanging out in traffic (not that there is generally much).  All is going well until I see two cars heading my way.  They were being very careful to say within the newly-painted lane.  MY lane.  The BIKE lane.  The one with the solid outer line and a dashed inner line.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2015, 07:19:23 PM »
I had my first 'drivers are really idiots' moment today. 

They're starting to put more bike lanes in throughout town, and one new connection is on a road I take for work.  They repaved the road in December, but just painted the lines for the bike path.  It's a two-way path on one side of the street, instead of each side having a one-way lane.

So today I decided to take my first trip down this new path, instead of hanging out in traffic (not that there is generally much).  All is going well until I see two cars heading my way.  They were being very careful to say within the newly-painted lane.  MY lane.  The BIKE lane.  The one with the solid outer line and a dashed inner line.
It's situations like this where I'm glad I bought an air horn http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn-colors/dp/B000ACAMJC. It's as loud as a car horn (though it doesn't sound the same). You can recharge it by pumping it with a standard Schraeder bike pump.
If you're gonna buy it, go to the used section and get the one from Amazon Warehouse Deals - that just means there's cosmetic damage to the packaging, the product still works.

mtbiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cyclesomatic
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »
I hit a minor milestone on my way home tonight.  I broke 145 miles for the month, which is the most miles in a month I've ridden in a year.  I really hope to break 250 miles this month which be the most since Sept 2013. 

And speaking of brewery tours...  Part of the reason my miles were down last year is I broke my tailbone riding home way to drunk from 2 brewery tours in Feb of last year.  It was my last brewery tour ride before I moved from Dallas back home to Colorado, and the pain has lingered all year...     But, I sure do miss those brewery rides.  Looking forward to hitting some around here soon! 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2015, 04:11:45 AM »
I was hit in the back by something last night. just as a car went by with its passenger window open - could have been kicked up from the road but I think it was someone in the passenger seat of the car. Didn't see what it was - felt it but it didn't leave a mark. Didn't get the exact make and model of the car but did see the first three of the licence and the road they turned into. 
Annoying - and odd because idiots who throw stuff generally are shouting as well - nothing from this one...

I could make an effort to track them down but I don't KNOW that it was deliberate - or even them..just suspect it was. and if I found them? then what? (actually I'd sneak back and cover the windscreen with Lard - that's a real pain to get off :D )

oh well - carry on...

jordanread

« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2015, 04:42:10 AM »
I hit a minor milestone on my way home tonight.  I broke 145 miles for the month, which is the most miles in a month I've ridden in a year.  I really hope to break 250 miles this month which be the most since Sept 2013. 

Congrats on the record!

Alas, I did not get my trailer yesterday. I rode up to the person's place to check it out (btw mtbiker...I do not envy your part of that commute), confirming over the phone that is what ready to go. Well, as I got up there, I see a school bus stranded in the subdivision. It couldn't get out, so there were cops all over the place. As I made the turn one of the cops mentioned that it was super slippery. He pointed at a spot, where I naturally looked, and then slipped. I probably would have been fine, but it's all good. Falling on ice is my favorite kind of falling. So I laughed and got myself up. The cop said I was taking my life into my own hands, which I suppose is true. I looked at him, and said "Yeah, but you just saw what happens when I get into an accident. I slip around and giggle. When something like that happens to you, suddenly there is 5,000lbs of metal careening down the street, putting everyone and everything else in danger, with all kinds of potential shrapnel that can kill you too."

He stopped as he was getting back in his vehicle, looked at me, and said "Hmmm. Fair enough." I thought that was a fun conversation. Anyway, a few blocks later I get to the house, the trailer looks good, but they don't have the coupler. They said they's knock some off the price and I just looked at them for a minute...until they realized that I had my freaking bike, and the fact that I could order the part did nothing to actually help me at this particular moment of time. I might look around online today, and potentially order one, but if I have to go through that, I'm not paying a dime over $20.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2015, 04:43:11 AM »
UnleashHell - what county are you in?  Collier just passed an anti-harassment law that criminalizes harassing bicyclists and pedestrians.  I'm not exactly sure how enforcement will work.  But hopefully the rest of the state will follow suit soon. 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2015, 05:12:43 AM »
UnleashHell - what county are you in?  Collier just passed an anti-harassment law that criminalizes harassing bicyclists and pedestrians.  I'm not exactly sure how enforcement will work.  But hopefully the rest of the state will follow suit soon.

This was in Pasco - but I can't prove anything so law enforcement would be useless. they are useless here anyway. in October my son was knocked over on a crossing (one for bikes and pedestrians) but the driver left the scene - we reported it later but the police didn't want to come out and do anything. we insisted and when they turned up they did nothing because they wasn't anything to follow up on. I still persisted with them filing a repot (the crossing is outside a school!!) but they couldn't give a toss here.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:59 AM »
Well I started working on the bike last night. I had to replace the rear tube. No idea why it was punctured but I put another layer of black electrical tape around the rim just in case. The tire is a 700x25 and I had a 27" tube. Not really sure if that is the right size but it's what I had in stock. I bought four of them from Walmart about a year ago. I may have to order online or buy from the local bike shop if these are not the right size. They are a little pricey at the shop. I aired them up and they didn't bulge or pop. My compressor can only go to about 80-90 psi, which might be fine for winter riding. The gas station a few blocks away (wrong direction of course) can get the tires to 100 psi.

I also thought I would give it a quick look over and possibly fine tune it. I watched a few youtube videos and discovered my front derailer may not be set right. I guess it's supposed to be 2 mm above the teeth with chain on smallest gear. I measured almost 4 mm. The chain rubs against the derailer when I use the top gear. So I may have to lower that derailer and then retune bike. Once I realized the front was off I started watching videos so no idea if the rear is wrong as well.

I also still need to install the interrupter levers. I don't have any handle bar tape and not sure if I can reuse the old stuff?

I am trying to get it ready to do a trial ride to work and back. I need to test my times and clothing on the weekend. I can't gamble a weekday because I have to pick up kid from school.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »
Had an interesting conversation with the insurance agent for the woman who I got in an accident with last week... she kept asking me, "So she didn't see you?" and I wanted to be like, "Of course she didn't see me! I never assume anyone can see me at all! No one ever sees cyclists!" She didn't see me, and she was driving down the yellow line at the center of the road... that was the problem.

I agree on all that has been said on drunk riding - it's a good time, though illegal and dangerous. I only had the one beer (Tuesday night! I have a 9-5!) and I don't know whether I would have been over the limit but if I had been driving I probably would have had a club soda and spent another 15-20 minutes at the bar before I left to get in my 2,500-pound killing machine (a.k.a. Yaris).

jordanread

« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »
I'm an idiot. I have this awesome magical device that tells me stuff that I want to know. And since it's smart, I don't even need to always ask it. However, on occasion, I do need to look at it. I did that a few days ago, and saw that it was a high of 30 today. For some reason, my brain took that to mean it would be 30°F...before the sun rose. In actuality, it was 4°F. I realized it a few miles in, when I wasn't warming up like I usually do. Oops. That won't happen again soon. Good ride in, though!!

TrMama

« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »
You know you live in the PNW when you have to pull over on your morning bike commute because your eyeballs are too full of water. Not just your glasses, or dripping down your face, but your freaking eyeballs.

Felt like I was swimming without goggles . . .

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »
Weather forecast foresees heavy snow fall from saturday or sunday on. I just purchased a Schwalbe Marathon Winter with 120 spikes to be able to continue my badassity no matter the weather conditions. :)

joseveri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
Those tires are beauties.  I rode over thick black ice yesterday for long stretches on a 13 mile ride with no issue.  They have saved me many times from hitting the deck this winter.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2015, 03:44:29 PM »
I had to make a detour downtown this morning. Rode up 4th ave in the bike lane (which is on the left side of the street because it is a one way road). Almost hit THREE TIMES.

First time someone swerved into the lane to turn into a parking garage... without looking. I came within inches of slamming into their driver's side door.

Second time, I was in the intersection of Marion and 4th ave... when a moron turned left. Marion is a one way street...going the OTHER DIRECTION, meaning you can only turn RIGHT off 4th onto Marion. last I saw they continued to drive the wrong way against traffic all the way down the hill.

Third time was the same as the first time. yes, it is January... but it was 50 degrees out! Not raining! Its Seattle, of course there are bikers! Look before you cross the freaking bike lane.

I wish I could take the 2nd ave bike path, which has its own lights and is set away from traffic, but it doesn't begin until Yesler, whereas the 4th Ave bike lane goes all the way down to Jackson.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2015, 04:52:21 PM »
I had to make a detour downtown this morning. Rode up 4th ave in the bike lane (which is on the left side of the street because it is a one way road). Almost hit THREE TIMES.

First time someone swerved into the lane to turn into a parking garage... without looking. I came within inches of slamming into their driver's side door.

Second time, I was in the intersection of Marion and 4th ave... when a moron turned left. Marion is a one way street...going the OTHER DIRECTION, meaning you can only turn RIGHT off 4th onto Marion. last I saw they continued to drive the wrong way against traffic all the way down the hill.

Third time was the same as the first time. yes, it is January... but it was 50 degrees out! Not raining! Its Seattle, of course there are bikers! Look before you cross the freaking bike lane.

I wish I could take the 2nd ave bike path, which has its own lights and is set away from traffic, but it doesn't begin until Yesler, whereas the 4th Ave bike lane goes all the way down to Jackson.

It's a shame they weren't registered, then that wouldn't have happened. [/sarcasm]

Nice work on the riding in winter thing, people. We may not have snow and ice here, but we have other hazards at this time of year...

The joys of cycling in the tropics.

Oh, and are any of you in DC? You may be interested in this.

FREE COFFEE!

jordanread

« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »
They really should have a what to do around bikers section to get a license.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
I know right? Even a question or two on the written test to get a driver's license would do wonders. Way too many drivers think bicyclists belong on the sidewalk.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
I know right? Even a question or two on the written test to get a driver's license would do wonders. Way too many drivers think bicyclists belong on the sidewalk.

So far for the most part I haven't had much trouble here, but I'm in Hillsboro, just a little west of Portland.  My commute has me taking the lane for about half of it because the streets are too narrow to add a bike lane (2 lanes each way) and the planners didn't think about it when giving permits to businesses that built with doors right on the sidewalk.  I look at it and can't think of any way to squeeze another two bike lanes out without making stupidly narrow sidewalks, or getting rid of a lane of traffic.  The streets are too busy for 1 lane each way with a middle turn, but perhaps that would encourage more people to bike :-D.

In the summer I did have one lady talking on a cell phone driving a company van (owned by a famous hotel chain with a promiscuous daughter), that had me slam on brakes to avoid hitting her.  The silly thing about that was the road she turned onto is notoriously backed up, so I tried to confront her just to inform her that she almost caused an accident if I hadn't hit my brakes, then she threatened to throw stuff at me if I "don't get the fuck away", and that I should "get a fucking life, faggot".  I didn't think quick enough to make a video recording, but I did take a picture of the "How's my driving" and called her work to let them know.  Haven't seen her around again, though it seemed they were more surprised about her talking on a cell phone while driving than the physical threats and insults.  Really, my thought was maybe she didn't know she almost hit me and telling her would let her know to be more careful.  But in the 13 months I've biked I've only had 2 cars wiz by too close, 1 pull out in front of me (that lady), and one idiot pull his truck into the bike lane while two cars back waiting on a red light to make a right turn.

The rest of my experience here is pretty nice bike lanes, or going north into the country cars expect cyclists to be there because 1) those roads don't go anywhere else so very low traffic, 2) they are really awesome to ride on.  Out there I've never had any trouble.

In other news, on Tuesday I received my heart rate monitor.  It's been a lot of fun riding with it.  This evening I went on their "heart rate training" run so I could set my max heart rate and heart rate zones.  First time I have ever felt like puking while exercising.  Might be pushing myself a little hard right now, but I have a 5k in March and running on Wednesday tells me I have a bit of work to do.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
But in the 13 months I've biked I've only had 2 cars wiz by too close, 1 pull out in front of me (that lady), and one idiot pull his truck into the bike lane while two cars back waiting on a red light to make a right turn.
Here in Atlanta having cars whiz by me too close is a regular experience. It's rare that I don't have a ride longer than about 3 miles where that doesn't occur.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
But in the 13 months I've biked I've only had 2 cars wiz by too close, 1 pull out in front of me (that lady), and one idiot pull his truck into the bike lane while two cars back waiting on a red light to make a right turn.
Here in Atlanta having cars whiz by me too close is a regular experience. It's rare that I don't have a ride longer than about 3 miles where that doesn't occur.

Well, now that you mention 3 miles, that's how long my commute is :-D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!