Author Topic: January Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 65388 times)

MidwestBiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: January Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2015, 09:15:58 AM »
Another morning of freezing fog/drizzle. Ice over everything. I took it easy, and didn't fall once. Once I got into work, I found out that even people who live in town had to take an extra 20 minutes  to defrost their cars and scrape their windows. I took it easy, and spent less time on my commute than they did, plus I had way more fun!! Feeling very superior this morning. :-)

Yes, it's great avoiding the hassles of cleaning the snow and ice off a car. Last night the commuting traffic was still snarled at 7 pm due to the weather. My ride in this morning was a bit slow due to the wind and road conditions, but still preferable to being in the automobile traffic.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
I haven't had a good reason (or time away from the kids) to bike in the last two storms, but it's a lot more fun this year when my tires have grip. Had a good ride early in the week, though I took the shorter way home. Had no idea how tender produce like sprouts would handle being in panniers when it was below zero and didn't want to risk them getting ruined by taking too long.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2015, 03:00:34 PM »
Still enjoying this nice weather, tested a short lunch time ride.  If only I could get my racing bike to work...

jordanread

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
Still enjoying this nice weather, tested a short lunch time ride.  If only I could get my racing bike to work...
Can't you ride that bike to work?

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
Of course I could ride it to work, but then getting my heavy laptop and lunch may prove more difficult. It's been a bane of mine for awhile. Currently my commuter has a plastic box which holds everything.

I could try using a backpack again now that I'm actually in shape for riding, but when I first started in January of twenty fourteen I found the pack too heavy and bothersome.

jordanread

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
Of course I could ride it to work, but then getting my heavy laptop and lunch may prove more difficult. It's been a bane of mine for awhile. Currently my commuter has a plastic box which holds everything.

I could try using a backpack again now that I'm actually in shape for riding, but when I first started in January of twenty fourteen I found the pack too heavy and bothersome.

Oh, gotcha. Probably not many racing bikes with racks :-). I totally missed that. And as far as the backpack goes...I hated mine so much that I spent $150 just so I didn't have to use it anymore, and it was completely worth it for me. I can't stand back sweat. However, others do just fine (even though it boggles my mind) with them. :-)

Of course...

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »
Someone around here - I think Wolf_Stache? - has a seat post rack for a racing bike. Not sure what the weight limit is. I think she said 10-20 pounds but that was a thread from quite a while back.

My dream bike would probably be the CX format where you get race geometry but all the braze ons for commuting/touring. But my hybrid is still pretty kick ass.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
there will always be backpack people, and there will always be rack/trailer people

this is 35 lbs of full-suspension mountain bike strapped to my bag

no excuses for not transporting bikes to wherever they need to be ;-)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2015, 05:37:50 PM »
Someone around here - I think Wolf_Stache? - has a seat post rack for a racing bike. Not sure what the weight limit is. I think she said 10-20 pounds but that was a thread from quite a while back.

yeah, 20 lb. max is probably advertised but I wouldn't put more than 10 on one of those. The issue is lateral stiffness... without the triangulation of lower mount points, any bags you hang off the side will swing into your spokes. If you put all your junk in a trunk bag that might be alright but those are never big enough

My dream bike would probably be the CX format where you get race geometry but all the braze ons for commuting/touring. But my hybrid is still pretty kick ass.

A common misconception... yes there are often mount points for racks/fenders, but CX bikes are designed to be race bikes first and the presence of threads where you want them is no indication that the bike will handle well under load. Up to 20 lbs or so is usually alright but any more than that and you'll want to (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ due to geometry making handling impossible (think "speed wobble" any time you stand up...)

hybrids really are way more rad than the reputation they carry

jordanread

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »
there will always be backpack people, and there will always be rack/trailer people

this is 35 lbs of full-suspension mountain bike strapped to my bag

no excuses for not transporting bikes to wherever they need to be ;-)

IMHO, your badass quotient just increased...by a lot.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2015, 05:50:07 PM »
Heh, I remember that picture from when you first posted it. Still badass!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2015, 05:51:15 PM »

yeah, 20 lb. max is probably advertised but I wouldn't put more than 10 on one of those. The issue is lateral stiffness... without the triangulation of lower mount points, any bags you hang off the side will swing into your spokes. If you put all your junk in a trunk bag that might be alright but those are never big enough

A common misconception... yes there are often mount points for racks/fenders, but CX bikes are designed to be race bikes first and the presence of threads where you want them is no indication that the bike will handle well under load. Up to 20 lbs or so is usually alright but any more than that and you'll want to (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ due to geometry making handling impossible (think "speed wobble" any time you stand up...)

hybrids really are way more rad than the reputation they carry

What about something like this?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2015, 06:01:21 PM »

Never seen one of those in the wild, but I like the idea of it as long as it's not too wide for your knees (I would definitely have a clearance problem, but I've been told I have "thunder thighs"... I imagine most people would be fine). One of my favorite bags is the frame bag in the photo below (above the water bottles), and that's a pretty similar concept if a bit smaller.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
ughhh just looking at these photos makes me wish it was summer, when I could wear shorts and ride tires that aren't total turds...

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »

Never seen one of those in the wild, but I like the idea of it as long as it's not too wide for your knees (I would definitely have a clearance problem, but I've been told I have "thunder thighs"... I imagine most people would be fine). One of my favorite bags is the frame bag in the photo below (above the water bottles), and that's a pretty similar concept if a bit smaller.

Yeah, those are popular among the long course triathlon crowd to carry gels, food etc. I have only seen a few pictures of the other type but it looks big enough for a laptop. You'd probably want hard sides for the bag to guard against accidental damage though, which would increase the weight and the thickness.

ughhh just looking at these photos makes me wish it was summer, when I could wear shorts and ride tires that aren't total turds...

But it *is* summer! Oh, wait... you're on the wrong side of the Earth, aren't you? ;)

jordanread

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2015, 07:30:03 AM »
This motivational message brought to you by Jordan, via his snowy commute this morning, and goes out to all those winter riders:

Next time I should use a stick.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »

jordanread

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »
get out and have some fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-eNnjwR5tc

That was pretty awesome. The only issue I have currently is that my front tire is old and balding. When I do upgrade it (did my back tire last year), I might do some videos like that.

For those of you biking in the snow, how do you avoid the build up in your brakes? I noticed today that it caused a fair amount of additional resistance, plus my brakes weren't working at all. I imagine disk brakes would be more effective, but I'm not sure. I'm just curious, as this is the fist time it's happened (really nice fluffy wet snow).

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »
don't do that without a studded front tire please

what brakes are you running and how big of tires are you stuffing in them? Only solution is more clearance really. You might be able to get that with different brakes or smaller tires, but probably not enough to make a difference.

This is also why people in snowy climates don't use fenders in the winter.

jordanread

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2015, 10:32:06 AM »
don't do that without a studded front tire please

what brakes are you running and how big of tires are you stuffing in them? Only solution is more clearance really. You might be able to get that with different brakes or smaller tires, but probably not enough to make a difference.

This is also why people in snowy climates don't use fenders in the winter.

Ha, totally meant the camera placement while commuting, not the straight drifting. I have Shimano v-brakes, nothing fancy. I doubt it would be worth it to switch them out, and I think it has to be a perfect storm type of thing to really mess with me, so I was more curious really if disc brakes got gunked up like that (given deep enough snow). Interesting thing about the fenders, but I suppose it makes sense. I'm still going back and forth on getting a front fender. I don't see myself needing them that often, and I could just keep a clean pair of pants at work, which would make it a non-issue.

TGC has been recommending studded tires for me, but after talking with some local people who've been commuting year round for 10+ years, I don't think I'm going to spend the money on them. I was originally a bit worried about wearing them out, but apparently you have ridden yours extensively with very little. Our weather here is just so volatile that even if I had them, I'd only really need them for 1 day out of the week. Plus, before next winter when I upgrade my front tire, it will feel like studs by comparison.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:21 AM »
so I was more curious really if disc brakes got gunked up like that (given deep enough snow).

they will not clog up with snow, but if the bottleneck isn't at the brakes then it will be at the chainstays. With the right (wrong) type of snow it's a problem you can't really avoid. The "advantage" of disc brakes is stopping power you can't use due to lower tire adhesion in inclement weather (you can tell I'm a huge fan...)

TGC has been recommending studded tires for me, but after talking with some local people who've been commuting year round for 10+ years, I don't think I'm going to spend the money on them. I was originally a bit worried about wearing them out, but apparently you have ridden yours extensively with very little. Our weather here is just so volatile that even if I had them, I'd only really need them for 1 day out of the week.

4000 miles, no flats, and the treads still have all their siping. The magic of carbide. But yeah if you don't need 'em you don't need 'em

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »

Yes, I commute on a racing bike that doesn't have ANY thread or attachment points. I downgraded to a heavier seat post that can support a rear seat-post mounted rack, and hang panniers off of that.  If you don't tighten the seat-post attachment the rack can swing and hit the tires, but I've only had that happen once when I hit a really giagantic pothole.

In reality I should probably buy a hybrid bike, but my racing bike is literally the perfect size for me. I'm REALLY SHORT so it is hard to find bikes small enough for me, and I don't want to go through another search.

Weight limit - not sure the pounds. Its perfect for my laptop and lunch bag, but I would hesitate to go grocery shopping and try to bring home 40 lbs of cat litter or something.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:07:34 AM by Wolf_Stache »

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2015, 12:24:42 PM »
I kinda want to try this winter riding but I am not set up for it yet. I have a few questions.

How do you handle kid pick up? My wife drops the kids off at school and I then pick them up. I get off work at 3:30 pm and he gets out at 3:48 pm.

How in the heck do you handle the cold. I have Raynauds ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon ) and the cold weather kills me. It hurts my hands the worst.

What type of bikes do you ride? This is what I have with no mods as of yet. http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Mens-Prelude-Bicycle-BBWhite/dp/B004QM22HC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421090651&sr=8-1&keywords=schwinn+prelude

jordanread

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2015, 12:54:03 PM »
My gear breakdown (been used successfully to -7°F...and I'll probably give them a shot down to -20°F):

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:28:32 PM by jordanread »

TrMama

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »
I kinda want to try this winter riding but I am not set up for it yet. I have a few questions.

How do you handle kid pick up? My wife drops the kids off at school and I then pick them up. I get off work at 3:30 pm and he gets out at 3:48 pm.

How in the heck do you handle the cold. I have Raynauds ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon ) and the cold weather kills me. It hurts my hands the worst.

What type of bikes do you ride? This is what I have with no mods as of yet. http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Mens-Prelude-Bicycle-BBWhite/dp/B004QM22HC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421090651&sr=8-1&keywords=schwinn+prelude

Kid pickup depends on the age and number of kids. If they're in daycare the best option is likely a trailer. You can either leave it at daycare with the kids, or haul it to work empty. If they are too big, you need to pickup from multiple locations or there are too many of them, things get more complicated. If you give us some more details I'm sure we'll be able to come up with some suggestions for you.

In my case, I mostly waited until they were school age and could take the bus back and forth to school. When they're at daycamp, I drive them with the bike on the bike carrier. Once they're at camp, I park the car and ride from there. Reverse the process on the way home.

I ride a fancy pants carbon road bike. It's a super fun commuter because it's crazy fast. The only downside is that replacement parts are expensive. If you have to ride in snow or ice, I'd want a bike with grippier tires.

Cold is dealt with by wearing technical sporting gear in layers. When it's really cold and wet here I have some neoprene kayak gloves that are the bomb. They're super warm, stretchy and have really grippy palms.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »

How far away is the school from your home, and how old are your kids? I pass by an elementary school in a very bike-friendly neighborhood on my morning commute and at dropoff time I see all kinds of contraptions. There's a good rundown of the different types of bike-based child carriers in the handouts on this page. A used bike trailer off craigslist is definitely the lowest-cost choice. Or walking home with the kids, or having them ride their own bikes if they're old enough.

For the Raynauds, you might want to look into Bar Mitts or another kind of pogies.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:26:51 PM by mskyle »

jordanread

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to add gloves to my post above, but those are pretty awesome and keep me super warm. Does compression help with Raynauds?

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to add gloves to my post above, but those are pretty awesome and keep me super warm. Does compression help with Raynauds?

I'm not sure. After 16 years here I am still trying to find a solution. i have thought about battery heated gloves but hate to spend the money and not have them work. I've spent a small fortune on gloves so far with no luck.

jordanread

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »

I'm not sure. After 16 years here I am still trying to find a solution. i have thought about battery heated gloves but hate to spend the money and not have them work. I've spent a small fortune on gloves so far with no luck.
I'll find a link when I'm back at a computer, but one option for warmers could be hot snapz. They are reusable.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »

How far away is the school from your home, and how old are your kids? I pass by an elementary school in a very bike-friendly neighborhood on my morning commute and at dropoff time I see all kinds of contraptions. There's a good rundown of the different types of bike-based child carriers in the handouts on this page. A used bike trailer off craigslist is definitely the lowest-cost choice. Or walking home with the kids, or having them ride their own bikes if they're old enough.

For the Raynauds, you might want to look into Bar Mitts or another kind of pogies.

He's 8 and not tiny either. We are roughly one mile from school to house. He is generally the only one I have to pick up. I am roughly one mile from work to the school for pick up. I don't have a bicycle rack for the car that my wife drives. She drops him off at school on her way to work.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
. Now if only I could get the girlfriend to stop upping the thermostat...

easy - just hook it up to the same circuit as your home office............

oh and to keep it on topic my parents finally went home - and sunday I went for a bike ride with the wife - she was trying out some bike short she bought and was very comfortable in them (one less reason not to go out). Now to get back to biking to work...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:52:52 PM by UnleashHell »

jordanread

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »
. Now if only I could get the girlfriend to stop upping the thermostat...

easy - just hook it up to the same circuit as your home office............

oh and to keep it on topic my parents finally went home - and sunday I went for a bike ride with the wife - she was trying out some bike short she bought and was very comfortable in them (one less reason not to go out). Now to get back to biking to work...

I'm assuming you are referring to the touchy electrical issue? She already told me that she thinks I messed with it, so it detects as 7 degrees warmer than it is.
Oh, and as far as cycling shorts go, the rubber nubs around the legs changed my freaking life. It's amazing how much difference some of the gear makes.

And now, some observations from my ride today.

1. Colorado Springs is amazing...and it never ceases to amaze me.
     a. I saw more cyclists out today with the fluffy snow than I did all the cold and bitter days last week. They all were whooping and hollering and sliding and having a grand old time!
     b. While I never noticed before (mostly since snow melts so quickly here), our bike trails are plowed faster and more effectively than our streets. They are different departments, of course, but the folks who do the bike trails do an awesome job. I saw one guy today about 6 miles in. Coming home, they had all been plowed, but the streets I had to cross were tricky and snow covered.
2. With the back tire sliding, coupled with the offset weight distribution from my pannier, it's quite the shoulder workout.
3. I'm not sure how, but apparently there is a wrong way to wear a balaclava. My ears were very cold on the way home. Will investigate.

I'll find a link when I'm back at a computer, but one option for warmers could be hot snapz. They are reusable.

Here is the amazon link, and this is the actual web site.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2015, 06:26:03 PM »

Yes, I commute on a racing bike that doesn't have ANY thread or attachment points. I downgraded to a heavier seat post that can support a rear seat-post mounted rack, and hang panniers off of that.  If you don't tighten the seat-post attachment the rack can swing and hit the tires, but I've only had that happen once when I hit a really giagantic pothole.

In reality I should probably buy a hybrid bike, but my racing bike is literally the perfect size for me. I'm REALLY SHORT so it is hard to find bikes small enough for me, and I don't want to go through another search.

Weight limit - not sure the pounds. Its perfect for my laptop and lunch bag, but I would hesitate to go grocery shopping and try to bring home 40 lbs of cat litter or something.

My bike is a hybrid, but has a carbon rear triangle and disc brakes.  Right now  I have a large storage box on it, but it pushes me up further on the seat.  I'd like to switch to panniers, but got frustrated this fall when trying to find a setup that wouldn't theoretically swing into my rear tire.  Perhaps you could post a pic of your setup.  It might be that I'm just over thinking that hazard.

My nice race bike is a Giant TCR Advanced SL, so the seat post is a no go, might try the backpack again on it.  I'll post pictures of my bikes tonight.  Maybe I could use my hauling bike and put the TCR in the trailer?

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »

1. I have a 3 y.o. With an old Burley trailer off CL we are good down to about 0 degrees F with a windchill so far. When we get there (~2.5 miles/15 minutes) he is still pretty warm and has fogged up the front cover. I just leave the trailer at daycare with an extra lock. If you are just doing pick-up you'd probably have to stop at home, get the trailer, then go to daycare.

2. bar mitts are good. You could also consider warming packets or try and rig up a way to carry some of the re-usable microwave heat packs within the bar mitts or something??? I have the opposite problem though.

3. This winter I picked up an old, Specialized Hardrock basic non-suspension mountain bike. Been working pretty well aside from a broken spoke and busted bearing in the bottom bracket so far. I imagine the bike you posted would work fine. The most important parts are having good lights/safety gear/clothing and maintaining it properly.

3. I'm not sure how, but apparently there is a wrong way to wear a balaclava. My ears were very cold on the way home. Will investigate.

I find the same thing--my headband is much thicker than my balaclava so even though it keeps my face/neck warmer my ears get cold. I sometimes just wear them both if it's cold enough.

Last night's 10-mile ride was about the most intense bike-riding experience I can remember. After clearing out our driveway and sidewalk I decided to take a ride during the blizzard. Most of the snow was already on the ground and blowing around. It was light and powdery. But the roads were not cleared, nor was the bike path. I rode side-streets to the green-line trail, including some stretches of 3-4 inch deep powder. The green-line and LRT trails were kind of cleared off, but maybe just from the high winds. Saw about a half-dozen other bikers.
Maybe we waved at each other that night! :) I also go by Minnehaha Falls on my commute. At least there is some water in the creek this year to make those beautiful icicles.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2015, 09:34:21 PM »
As promised, here are my three bikes.  After taking these pictures I then promptly rearranged the garage with them all lined up and ready to ride.  Still working on the best setup for having 1 car and 4 bikes + trailer and workbench.

Also on the hybrid I just raised the saddle a little today and moved it slightly forward, which results in increasing the distance between the rack and the saddle, but not neccissarily between the saddle and the container.  May try squeezing a small piece of wood on the bottom to keep the container from reaching the saddle.  Also tried a new way of using the bungee cords with hopes it becomes more stable.  Will see how it works out tomorrow.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »
Just caught up and entered my klicks so far. 

Auspiciously (especially on MMM) when I got to the ferry terminal halfway through my commute on the 1st, I looked down and saw a $20 on the ground.  Of course I picked it up, and a nice asian woman nearby saw me and said 'good luck, happy new year'. 

Of course rationally it means nothing, but I'm going to go ahead and call it a good omen for the year and a friendly nudge from the powers that be to keep riding my bike.

jordanread

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2015, 04:49:30 AM »

I find the same thing--my headband is much thicker than my balaclava so even though it keeps my face/neck warmer my ears get cold. I sometimes just wear them both if it's cold enough.

It was weird. It was only the way I wore the balaclava. I wore it on the way in, and I've worn it in much colder temps without issue. Just something about the way it was sitting yesterday.

Also, does anyone else get the desire to change the pronunciation of balaclava by switching the syllables around to more closely match baklava? So instead of ba-la-cla-va say it like bala-clava? I made a joke about it a couple weeks ago, and now I have to catch myself in order to say it right.

As promised, here are my three bikes.  After taking these pictures I then promptly rearranged the garage with them all lined up and ready to ride.  Still working on the best setup for having 1 car and 4 bikes + trailer and workbench.

After seeing the file names on the picture, I wanted to attache pictures of my bike, from 3 different angles, possibly wearing different clothes, with different labels. It'd be funny, but way too much work.

Also, what is the difference between your workhorse and your hybrid? I'm guessing you are riding your hybrid (because of the box), but the workhorse has everything you need to run panniers, or even just a more comfortable position for the box. Is it significantly heavier or something? Maybe no lockouts on the suspension. Just curious.

jordanread

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
Met and rode with someone on the way in today. Rode the last few miles with him. I told him about the challenge, so maybe he'll show up here. Ah! Bike friends.

jordanread

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2015, 08:03:09 AM »
Oh, and unless I can find some errands to run that will take up 4 miles, I will have broken my record by the time I get to work tomorrow. New personal best of all time...in January!!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
B4u2 - does your 8 year old ride? That's easy distance, and you said 1 mile from work to school? Plenty of time for you to pick up.

If they're not super confident, trail-a-bikes can be found cheaply on CL and are usually rated for up to 100-150 pounds. Be prepared for the bike to feel a bit squirrelly handling wise until you get used to how it changes the balance.

For the Reynauds, my wife has it and I've yet to get her riding in cold weather, partly because she's still relearning how to ride and not super confident on the bike yet. Layers are your friend, especially GoreTex or similar as an outer to eliminate wind chill. Also, the warmer you keep your core, the less your body cuts circulation to the extremities. Usually my hands are coldest at the beginning, and are quite warm once my heart rate and core temp go up.

So for gloves, I'd look at something that has a water/windproof layer. Buy from a place like REI that has a solid return policy if you use them and still aren't satisfied.

jordanread

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2015, 09:50:13 AM »
So for gloves, I'd look at something that has a water/windproof layer. Buy from a place like REI that has a solid return policy if you use them and still aren't satisfied.

One thing to add, and the only reason I thought about this is because I screwed up this morning, if you wind up sweating in gloves, turn them inside out once you get to your destination, because waterproof == take forever to dry. It took me like 4 miles this morning before I got feeling back in my fingertips.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2015, 09:55:27 AM »

One thing to add, and the only reason I thought about this is because I screwed up this morning, if you wind up sweating in gloves, turn them inside out once you get to your destination, because waterproof == take forever to dry. It took me like 4 miles this morning before I got feeling back in my fingertips.

Mine don't take that long to dry out. If I'm storing the bike indoors (like at work), I slip them over the handle bars to keep them open. Otherwise prop them up cuff side down at your desk. You want them as fluffy/open as possible and they'll dry in an hour or two tops. If you squeeze them in a pocket or store them smashed together, sure, they'll never dry out.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
For what it's worth, been doing 10 miles a day (50 miles per week) since the start of 2015. All uphill (Level 15)...uh, not actually going anywhere. Yes, stationary bike at gym. :)

Knowing the cycling purists here, probably doesn't count. ;)

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
My interrupter brake levers came in. Once I am done working on my shower I hope to spend some time working on my bicycle. Need to order a few more things for it like thorn proofs and possibly alligator tires.

I'll check out REI.

He can ride a bike. Just not sure about getting it to the school. I might try biking on the weekends when I know there is not a rush to get him and see how it works out. I'll have to check my times so that I am not late getting him.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:27:31 AM by b4u2 »

TrMama

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2015, 12:03:23 PM »
I agree that for your situation, having your son ride his own bike is probably the way to go. If you have to use busy roads or navigate complicated intersections you may want to start with a trail-a-bike.

However, I've never used our trail-a-bike with my road bike. When the child is on the trail-a-bike there is some side to side movement which I find tricky to stabilize. I much prefer the straight bars of my mountain bike to mitigate this movement. However, I'm also a small-ish woman. If you have more upper body strength it may not be as big a deal.

When you start riding with your son on his own bike. Have him ride in front of you. This lets you see exactly what he's doing and you can call out instructions to him.

For the morning trip, you could get a rack for your wife's car. Or he may be able to ride by himself (depending on road conditions and after some practice) and your wife could just check that he arrived safely.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »
+1 to having the kid(s) ride in front of you. My older two ride in front of me and we've gone from only riding on quiet side streets to riding on busy arterials, even without bike lanes.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »

It was weird. It was only the way I wore the balaclava. I wore it on the way in, and I've worn it in much colder temps without issue. Just something about the way it was sitting yesterday.

Also, does anyone else get the desire to change the pronunciation of balaclava by switching the syllables around to more closely match baklava? So instead of ba-la-cla-va say it like bala-clava? I made a joke about it a couple weeks ago, and now I have to catch myself in order to say it right.
I find that with glasses inside the balaclava the wind penetrates more.  My riding glasses grip my head enough outside the balaclava that I put them on after the balaclava but before the helmet.  For normal rx glasses you can get a strap that connects to both sides and goes around your head to hold them on.

I too had a lot of trouble remembering how to pronounce balaclava, and kept wanting to add an r, like baraclava, or something.

After seeing the file names on the picture, I wanted to attache pictures of my bike, from 3 different angles, possibly wearing different clothes, with different labels. It'd be funny, but way too much work.

Also, what is the difference between your workhorse and your hybrid? I'm guessing you are riding your hybrid (because of the box), but the workhorse has everything you need to run panniers, or even just a more comfortable position for the box. Is it significantly heavier or something? Maybe no lockouts on the suspension. Just curious.
I just got the workhorse back, it was out on loan.  It's not as comfortable to ride, has twist shifters on the flats, and the tires are nearly bald (okay, I could easily just replace the tires).  When I first started biking to work I didn't have the workhorse, then in September/October when I was getting a little frustrated with my current setup the workhorse was on loan.  It may be another avenue to investigate, then I could move my hybrid to more hybridish tasks.  I could also upgrade the components on the workhorse to get trigger shifters, and fix the angle on the saddle, possibly replace the saddle too.

The ride this morning wasn't bad, having the seat a little higher felt much better, and I could get further back on the saddle.  I might actually lower the saddle a little bit again as I feel I may have raised it slightly too high.

jordanread

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »
So I just got "attacked" by a dog. Will elaborate once I get home.

jordanread

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »
I've always considered myself an advocate, but I never thought I did enough to be considered worthy of the title 'Bicycle Advocate'...until today.

On my way home today, I passed by a guy playing with his dog in the park. Nothing unusual...unless you aren't in Colorado Springs (cause it's awesome), and think that playing with your dog in the snow is weird. And then the dog came after me. Now, this has happened before, but it's never bothered me, since I love dogs, and I've dealt with the truly damaged ones, and don't flinch (I'll probably expand on that in my journal). Usually, even with strays, I jump off the bike and confront the dog, and I've been extremely successful doing that. Well snow, and my newish panniers, and the ice and snow, stopping quickly and dismounting wasn't an option. So the dog had a go at me. Fortunately, I'm a damn ninja, and avoided the bites. Granted, the dog was an australian shepherd mix, so it wasn't very bitey, just tried to 'herd' me. I finally got stopped after pushing the dog off, and confronted the dog, which went back to his owner, who was understandably freaked out. Well, I wasn't hurt, and I wanted to make sure the dog was okay. Plus, in the back of my mind, I must have sensed...some potential. I wasn't mad or anything. It happens, and it's usually because a dog wasn't trained. So I went back to the guy, made sure the pup was okay, and struck up a conversation...since biking is awesome, and I'm an unusually nice person when riding. He was apologizing, naturally, and I told him not to worry about. Actually, I asked him if the dog had been trained on what to do when a biker came by. He looked confused, so I grabbed a cheese stick from my bag, and gave the guy some pointers and the cheese stick. He had the dog on leash, and put him into a sit every time I passed (since I had time). It took all of ten minutes, and he will need to continue working with the dog, but that dog is going to sit every time a biker comes by. Everything about this experience was just awesome.

I turned off the GoPro since the dude was freaking out, thinking I was trying to set him up (what a shitty way to live), but I got the attached shot right before the dog came at me after I pushed it away the first time.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2015, 07:08:57 PM »
Nice work on the education jordan. :) You earned the mantle of Bicycle Advocate today.