Author Topic: January Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 65475 times)

jordanread

January Cycling Challenge 2015
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »
The cycling challenge for January 2015 is up and ready for you!!

If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.

You can access the sheet at this link.

The historical data on your individual sheets will update from the December challenge a couple times per day, so if you have added miles, and they don't show up, just give it a bit. If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.

Happy Cycling!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:04:26 PM by jordanread »

jordanread

Re: January Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
2014 - A year of cycling in review

2014 is the second full year in which these challenges have been going on. Here are some stats on what this community has accomplished.

1. We logged 72,466 miles.
2. 130 individual people participated (and logged miles)
3. On average, each person logged 557 miles.
4. Of course, there are those badasses among us who skew those numbers, raising us all up.

Top 10 Mileage

• Russ         
  • Pindystache   
  • fuzzhead1506 
  • thegoblinchief
  • Shor         
  • Ottawa       
  • TrMama       
  • Mrs. PoP     
  • gt7152b       
  • krazyken     

Veterans - Participated all 12 months

• Pindystache   
  • Ottawa       
  • Nancy         
  • crazyjane     
  • fuzzhead1506 

1000+ mile club
  • Russ             
  • Pindystache     
  • fuzzhead1506     
  • thegoblinchief   
  • Shor             
  • Ottawa           
  • TrMama           
  • Mrs. PoP         
  • gt7152b         
  • krazyken         
  • marblejane       
  • 13owie           
  • Shawn J         
  • The_Dude         
  • drewdeezee       
  • Miss Stachio     
  • prefrontal       
  • Nancy           
  • scottydog       
  • darkadams00     
  • beege           
  • Gamergirl       

Way to go everyone. Let's keep kicking ass, and make this our best year yet!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:44:57 PM by jordanread »

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »
Happy New Year, everyone!  Here's to safe and happy riding in 2015 =)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:38:18 PM »
I am in!  I will not measure the miles ridden but the minutes of cycling.  My goal for January is 8 1/2 hours. 

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:42:03 PM »
I am in!  I will not measure the miles ridden but the minutes of cycling.  My goal for January is 8 1/2 hours.

You are definitely going to have some issues with the spreadsheet, since it's based on distance. I'd suggest figuring out your average speed, and calculating the numbers, or try setting a yearly goal and join in the 2015 Fitness challenge (see my signature for the link).

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »
Started off the New Year with a 52 mile group ride.  Feels great to be winding up my 11 day staycation and so far my average is well above 21 (skewed a little by the half century days :-D).  Here's to a wonderful 2015!

jordanread

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »
Started off the New Year with a 52 mile group ride.  Feels great to be winding up my 11 day staycation and so far my average is well above 21 (skewed a little by the half century days :-D).  Here's to a wonderful 2015!

I saw that you started tearing down the hill before realizing everyone would meet at the top. That's always one of those mistakes that makes one feel super-badass.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 04:39:19 AM »
Yeah, so I totally forgot to track my km last month. Promise I'll do better this month! Or I'll try at least. :)

jordanread

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:58:23 AM »
Yeah, so I totally forgot to track my km last month. Promise I'll do better this month! Or I'll try at least. :)

I was wondering about that. Don't sweat it. I try to stay as accurate as possible, so I didn't put in my mileage on any of the days that my phone battery froze and it didn't track. Theoretically, I think I'm short around 40 miles.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:33 AM »
Wow, I broke 1000 miles and I didn't even participate all twelve months. I actually probably rode a lot farther than that, because I still rode even though I didn't know about the challenge. Goal for 2015 is to participate all year!

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »
This is awesome.  I am in!

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 01:27:56 PM »
I'm in!  I had been doing so well last year until we had a cold snap in Nov, and I just never got back. :(  No more excuses. Looking forward to logging my miles with you all

jordanread

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
I love getting new people!! Welcome, and Happy Cycling! Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. If there is an issue with the sheet, hit me up.

wildflowersarefree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 09:00:40 PM »
I'm in! I'm new to the forum but my goal has been that in 2015 I want to put less than 5,000 miles on my car and bike the rest. :-) Last year I put about 7,000 miles on my car so it will be interesting to see how that translates.

I don't think I can bike to work, I work 13 hour shifts at the hospital and really don't have enough energy to ride a bike home in the dark afterwards. But my goal is to bike for everything else if at all possible! :-)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 10:46:04 PM »
I'm in! I'm new to the forum but my goal has been that in 2015 I want to put less than 5,000 miles on my car and bike the rest. :-) Last year I put about 7,000 miles on my car so it will be interesting to see how that translates.

I don't think I can bike to work, I work 13 hour shifts at the hospital and really don't have enough energy to ride a bike home in the dark afterwards. But my goal is to bike for everything else if at all possible! :-)

That's a pretty good goal, I went from 15k a year down to just about 5k last year (moved from 30 mile each way commute to 3 miles each way).  I kept a spreadsheet this past year detailing how much I spent on my bike and how much I saved by riding to work and other things which offset my car miles.  It can be a great motivation, plus I put in a "Days till break even" line to see how many days I had to ride to work to break even on what I spent on equipment.  If you already have everything then it can still be great to see the miles, and the savings, add up over time.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 03:05:13 AM »

I was wondering about that. Don't sweat it. I try to stay as accurate as possible, so I didn't put in my mileage on any of the days that my phone battery froze and it didn't track. Theoretically, I think I'm short around 40 miles.

When I moved I put my Garmin away somewhere (probably in the office stuff). We're painting before we unpack the non-essentials, so my Garmin is still packed away. And I can't be bothered sitting down with Google maps and calculating my distances.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 11:38:32 AM »
If I get through 2015 without anyone pulling a knife on me, it'll be a good year!

Forgot to share this in the December thread, but this happened to me a few days ago while on holiday:

Just had a car try to run me off the road, then block me in a lane, get out, draw a knife on me and try to get me to fight them. Not sure if the guy was crazy, drunk, high, or all 3 but 911 and my fists being the only option doesn't feel like enough.

Luckily 911 alone was enough this time. The guy ran off and got back into his car, with his weirdly cackling female passenger (seriously, the whole time she thought this was hilarious) when he heard me connect to 911, list his exact description and his license plate.

I refuse to let this encounter keep me from biking, but I came quite close to closing the distance. He tried this wild-ass kick, all "thug style". Could have easily closed in and driven him straight into a wall and broken his neck...

So fucking bizarre. I'm a big guy. I never thought I'd get harassed like that, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time anyone's ever pulled a weapon on me.

It was in Baltimore, which I know has bad neighborhoods, but this was in broad daylight on BUSY streets in one of the swankier areas.

jordanread

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »
If I get through 2015 without anyone pulling a knife on me, it'll be a good year!

Forgot to share this in the December thread, but this happened to me a few days ago while on holiday:

Just had a car try to run me off the road, then block me in a lane, get out, draw a knife on me and try to get me to fight them. Not sure if the guy was crazy, drunk, high, or all 3 but 911 and my fists being the only option doesn't feel like enough.

Luckily 911 alone was enough this time. The guy ran off and got back into his car, with his weirdly cackling female passenger (seriously, the whole time she thought this was hilarious) when he heard me connect to 911, list his exact description and his license plate.

I refuse to let this encounter keep me from biking, but I came quite close to closing the distance. He tried this wild-ass kick, all "thug style". Could have easily closed in and driven him straight into a wall and broken his neck...

So fucking bizarre. I'm a big guy. I never thought I'd get harassed like that, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time anyone's ever pulled a weapon on me.

It was in Baltimore, which I know has bad neighborhoods, but this was in broad daylight on BUSY streets in one of the swankier areas.

Yeah, I hate riding through swanky areas. Those people are nuts!! I'll stick with the gangsters and what not for safety. ;-) Also, I totally didn't know that there was thug style kick. Didn't think one could kick with their pants around their knees.

Glad you are okay, though. Did you have the goblins with you? Maybe you should get a bike sword.

jordanread

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 07:41:27 AM »
A fair amount of black ice on the roads this morning. Fortunately, when I got some oil and some knowledge at the bike shop last week (proper maintenance of trigger shifters...remember how they froze?), I spent some time going all Tokyo Drift in the parking lot. There were a few hills just north of there, so I spent a fair amount of time figuring out the physics of the bike with the new pannier. That meant that even though I spent a disturbing amount of time on the roads without full control, I didn't fall down once! I never thought I'd be able to say it, but I think I managed to invent bike glissading.

Safe rides out there everyone!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 11:22:27 AM »
Nice story JordanReads!

My story is that this morning the intersection near my work was COMPLETELY blocked by an accident (a semi collided with a work truck and a van). I was on my bike and able to just glide around the mess. SO glad I didn't take the bus this morning!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »

I had something sort of similar happen, though perhaps I instigated it a little.  I was riding the long route home with bike lane the whole way and coming up on one of the intersections a pickup had decided that since he wanted to make a right turn that he should ride in the bike lane even though his truck won't fit (this was not a spot with a white dash line that cars and bikes share for turning right but a solid white line the whole way to the intersection), and he is two cars back from the light.  I stopped and mentioned to him that this is a bike lane and that he shouldn't be driving his truck through it.  Him and his girlfriend got all upset, said that there was enough room for me to squeeze by so why am I complaining and that bikes have cut him off before so whatever.  A few choice words going back and forth and he put his truck in park and got out, at which point I rode away :-D.

I'm working on a shorter dialogue for these encounters that essentially just politely informs them of their mistake and then ride on.  I've had good encounters with that, sometimes clown car drivers just don't realize what they are doing, then there are assholes like the one who said "Well, I didn't hit you." when I confronted someone about coming within inches of me while speeding by.

TrMama

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »

Holy crap. You totally win the "Crappiest Clown Car Encounter ever" award.

TrMama

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »
I'm working on a shorter dialogue for these encounters that essentially just politely informs them of their mistake and then ride on.  I've had good encounters with that, sometimes clown car drivers just don't realize what they are doing, then there are assholes like the one who said "Well, I didn't hit you." when I confronted someone about coming within inches of me while speeding by.

I've had the best luck with calling out their license plate # to them. Gets the message across that they're doing something wrong and they can be held accountable. It also helps me to remember the number in case I do call to report them. The one time I tried this the guy just drove off and quit threatening me. Which was exactly what I wanted him to do :-)

I also get a better response if I can manage to sound calm and detached. However, that's much easier said than done.

SpreadsheetMonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 05:47:15 PM »
This is my first winter riding in Minnesota.  Today was a new personal record: -11F.  I over-layered and was a sweaty mess by the time I got to work.

I ran in to a new problem with the temps this low.  I've grown accustomed to my glasses fogging up if I am wearing a face mask.  Down to 5 above, it's just an inconvenience. I just take the mask off for a bit to let things clear up. This morning it was so cold that the condensation froze and turned to ice.  I'm wearing ski goggles, which help a bit.  Other than contacts or lasik, anybody have a solution?

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 08:15:53 PM »
I was riding the long route home with bike lane the whole way and coming up on one of the intersections a pickup had decided that since he wanted to make a right turn that he should ride in the bike lane even though his truck won't fit (this was not a spot with a white dash line that cars and bikes share for turning right but a solid white line the whole way to the intersection), and he is two cars back from the light.  I stopped and mentioned to him that this is a bike lane and that he shouldn't be driving his truck through it. 

I actually think technically cars should be in a bike lane, regardless of striping, if they are turning right. Something like the situation you describe is what I find dangerous on a bike--in a bike lane passing a stack of cars waiting to go through a light; light turns green & cars begin to go but the one I'm passing decides to turn without putting a signal on and doesn't see/expect a bike coming up alongside as they accelerate. If they were just in the bike lane yes I would have to wait but it would be more clear what they were doing. It is a bit counterintuitive, but I think it is both what the letter of the law says and what is safest for the bicyclist (which is where I am most often in this equation).

I'm glad you are helping to educate drivers in general, and have come to a similar conclusion about saying brief things in a friendly way but not stopping to chat. Today I was nearly doored and just said "heads up." They guy was pretty surprised and dropped the phone he was yammering on into the snow!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:19:11 PM by PindyStache »

jordanread

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 05:33:11 AM »
So the body's ability to adapt rarely ceases to amaze me. It's 32*F right now. Just a few weeks ago, that would have felt a touch daunting, but it really seems more like just south of balmy. Now if only I could get the girlfriend to stop upping the thermostat...

Anyway, I'm off. Be safe out there, and enjoy the ride!!

Nancy

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 07:22:18 AM »
Woohoo! Being on those lists makes me feel like I made the honor roll :) Awesome!

Today, I was perfectly toasty at 15F. Love my wool longjohns. Have a great day, everyone!

wildflowersarefree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »
You guys make me feel guilty for our 65° this afternoon! Perfect riding weather. Even had to take of my sweater. Ill make up for it when its 105° this summer. :) Actually its still getting down to the 20s -30s at night which chills our little San Antonio bones.

TrMama

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »
Thanks, Jordan for putting those stats together! Yay me, for being on some of the top 10 lists. The downside of racking up all those miles is that yesterday I realized I've actually worn out my rear wheel from riding so much. The rim is seriously grooved and I probably shouldn't be riding on it.

jordanread

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
You guys make me feel guilty for our 65° this afternoon! Perfect riding weather. Even had to take of my sweater. Ill make up for it when its 105° this summer. :) Actually its still getting down to the 20s -30s at night which chills our little San Antonio bones.

Meh, don't feel guilty. I'm pretty sure we have some Australians in the challenge too, so it's summer there.

Fun fact: Mpls means Minneapolis.  I got that confused with MLS, and just assumed that MplsIceBiker was a bad ass real estate agent.

Thanks, Jordan for putting those stats together! Yay me, for being on some of the top 10 lists. The downside of racking up all those miles is that yesterday I realized I've actually worn out my rear wheel from riding so much. The rim is seriously grooved and I probably shouldn't be riding on it.

Not a problem. It keeps me honest, and keeps me riding. Yeah, I'm getting my rear tire looked at today. For some reason it won't stay true.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »
This morning I saw a guy commuting on one of these things:

http://gajitz.com/hot-wheel-ultra-minimalist-electric-single-wheeled-vehicle/

I had to look it up cause at the time I was going WTF is that????

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 10:23:40 PM »

Meh, don't feel guilty. I'm pretty sure we have some Australians in the challenge too, so it's summer there.
Here near Portland, OR we've been having some nice clear winter weather, oddly getting a high of 51F today.  Got my arm warmers in and boy do they make a difference.

Fun fact: Mpls means Minneapolis.  I got that confused with MLS, and just assumed that MplsIceBiker was a bad ass real estate agent.

Not a problem. It keeps me honest, and keeps me riding. Yeah, I'm getting my rear tire looked at today. For some reason it won't stay true.
You all are making it tough to stay on top, had to join a night cycling group to squeeze out a few extra miles :-D  My daily commute is only 3.1mi each way, almost jealous of seeing some with 10mi bike commutes.

jordanread

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 05:13:37 AM »
Here near Portland, OR we've been having some nice clear winter weather, oddly getting a high of 51F today.  Got my arm warmers in and boy do they make a difference.

You all are making it tough to stay on top, had to join a night cycling group to squeeze out a few extra miles :-D  My daily commute is only 3.1mi each way, almost jealous of seeing some with 10mi bike commutes.

I kind of feel the same way about my commute. We're looking at moving this year, but all of the neighborhoods we've looked at are way closer to work. I get a little freaked out. "But how am I going to get my miles?" :-)

Are you using arm warmers at 51°F? I got a pair when I invested in all of my gear a couple months ago, but with the jacket I have, I haven't needed to use them down to -7°F, as I just stay warm with the jersey/jacket combo.

So my fun fact was that I thought I bent my rim on one of my tumbles, or maybe just the weight distribution with the new pannier. I noticed it on Tuesday, so I decided to stop by the bike shop on the way home yesterday. Turns out I broke a spoke. So I got to spend a few minutes learning how to properly true a tire, and install a new spoke, which was totally worth the money ($26.08). The guy even showed me how to do it from home, without anything special. It's kind of cool having that hands on stuff, as I've seen videos, but being able to be walked through it is even better. He even told me that if they wind up with another crappy wheel they would trash, he'd hold it for me so I can practice without risking the bike. I love this town!!

Yesterday, I also saw something on the phone that I didn't know how to react to. Before I stepped outside, I looked at the weather, and it said "Freezing Fog". I had no clue what that meant, but apparently it just means that ice covers everything. Took a few falls around the lake before I realized that I'd be better off riding in the grass on that particular part of the commute. Now, I look at the weather for today (56°F) and am stoked, but tomorrow, there is yet another weather description that I do not know. "Ice pellets". WTF? It's obviously not hail, otherwise it would say that. Should be interesting, though.

Also, one of my projects for this month is the single host reboot of my Frugal FIRE show. With the flaking out of guests, co-hosts, and doing the entire thing live, I decided to pre-record segments. One of them is going to be on biking. Each week there will be some type of fun educational thing on some aspect of it. Right now, I've got a decent size list as to some of the things I'm going to cover as this segment of the show. So as an intro, I was going to do some video editing of different environments that people ride in. Do you guys want to help? If so, just take a video clip (5-10 seconds) of some part of your commute, or you and a friend on a bike, or whatever (backflips? cheering? :P) and upload it here or PM me to email it. If you want to see some of the old versions of the show (with guests and cohost), there is a thread here. It's not monetized, and I only do it for fun. I'll post in that other thread later, but thought I'd see if any of you were interested in helping out.

Happy Cycling!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 05:49:42 AM »
This morning was a gorgeous -15F (-26C) here in the nation's (Canada) capital!  There wasn't a soul around walking, biking or even driving at 6:30am.  I put on my A game of clothing layers and was good to go.  I am very pleased with my single bike conversion in winter conditions.  No issue at all this morning - usually derailleurs don't do so well when it is super cold and ice/snow builds up. 

It's damn cold in the office though (15C or 59F)!!!  LOL

jordanread

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 07:25:36 AM »
This morning was a gorgeous -15F (-26C) here in the nation's (Canada) capital!  There wasn't a soul around walking, biking or even driving at 6:30am.  I put on my A game of clothing layers and was good to go.  I am very pleased with my single bike conversion in winter conditions.  No issue at all this morning - usually derailleurs don't do so well when it is super cold and ice/snow builds up. 

It's damn cold in the office though (15C or 59F)!!!  LOL

Badass ride!! What do you mean single bike conversion? Do you mean a single speed conversion? No rear gears? That's even more badass. I was damn near helpless when my shifters froze.

As for me, this morning was probably the most surreal ride I've ever had. Started off pretty normal, 22°F with a slight headwind of about 3mph. Nothing too crazy, but when I got to a specific part of my ride where I stop for a drink, I felt this burst of warm air across my face. I assumed that one of the houses near me was running the dryer or something. But as I continued on, I realized that the headwind was blowing in super warm air. It felt like 20°F warmer. It was crazy. I thought I may have been having a stroke, until I crossed paths with another biker. I asked if it seemed like the wind (and only the wind...regular still air was still chilly) was really warm. He just laughed and said "Yeah, nuts ain't it?". It was very neat. I've never experienced anything like that before.

Also, while riding on another part of my path, I wound up collecting other bikers. First one just turned onto the path, and then another, and another. We waved, nodded, and the like, but nobody said anything. However, the further we went, the bigger the smiles got. By the time the first guy turned off, there 4 of us, just cruising in silence, all with big dopey grins. It was pretty awesome.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 07:39:52 AM »

Badass ride!! What do you mean single bike conversion? Do you mean a single speed conversion? No rear gears? That's even more badass. I was damn near helpless when my shifters froze.

Hah!  yes, single speed. 

Sounds like you had a sweet ride as well!

jordanread

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 07:48:41 AM »

Hah!  yes, single speed. 

Sounds like you had a sweet ride as well!

Always do. :-)

joseveri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
Lowest all time temp for me today.  -8 degrees with a 30 below windchill. 13 miles done of my 26 mile round trip commute and no real problems.  Gear held up well.  Loving the january cycling challenge :)

jordanread

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »
Lowest all time temp for me today.  -8 degrees with a 30 below windchill. 13 miles done of my 26 mile round trip commute and no real problems.  Gear held up well.  Loving the january cycling challenge :)

Score 1 for new records!! Congratulations.

MidwestBiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 09:39:50 AM »

Hey, I'm now a quoter. Ha-ha, "bad ass real estate agent." I guess "Mpls" is a bit obscure outside of MN. I'll have to use it a lot here to brand my username. A few years ago, when I started riding year round, I found icebike.org site that, while it is not active, has some good info and cool pictures. It also references the Arrowhead (another regional term) 135 race, which also looks pretty badass. Anyway, the "IceBike" term stuck with me. My 7.5 mile-ish commute is a just-right length for me. I get a good ride in each day, and thanks to the short one-way ride time, can get through almost any challenge. It's also great that there are city busses along most of my route if I need to bail out, and alternate, longer, routes with a fair amount of bike path options. I'm trying to keep a 20+ mile per day average, so taking some extra trips to make that personal goal. It's awesome to see the 30+mile days some folks log. Something for me to shoot for in the future.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:11:23 AM by MplsIceBiker »

MidwestBiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
More about Mpls. A famous city landmark is Minnehaha Falls. First pic is a nice summer-time view of the Falls. Second is from Jan 2nd., with my bike/trusty stead "Old Blue" in the foreground. I've started calling it "Old Blue" after watching the Christmas Story movie, an annual event I make my wife enjoy with me each Christmas. (Ralphie calls his BB gun Old Blue.) I like seeing pictures of commuter/every-day use bikes. Happy riding everyone!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:51:41 AM by MplsIceBiker »

jordanread

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »
I love the ice!! Badass!!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
Got pretty close to 1000 miles last year. Let's hope I get to at least 2000 this year!

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »
Thanks for the stats jordanread, and for all your work revising the sheet, stellar work as always!
Now I feel terrible for shelving the bike for the previous month.. a bit of California rain broke my momentum :(

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »

I kind of feel the same way about my commute. We're looking at moving this year, but all of the neighborhoods we've looked at are way closer to work. I get a little freaked out. "But how am I going to get my miles?" :-)

Are you using arm warmers at 51°F? I got a pair when I invested in all of my gear a couple months ago, but with the jacket I have, I haven't needed to use them down to -7°F, as I just stay warm with the jersey/jacket combo.
I did use the arm warmers yesterday, but not when it was 51.  After the long ride, and the beer, it was 40F and dropping, so I pulled out my balaclava and arm warmers.  Also just got booties for my clipless road shoes.  Stayed nice and warm on the ride home, felt amazing.

Usually 45F+ I don't need the balaclava, and never had arm warmers before, but on my 11 day staycation the temps were in the 20's and I had a thermal on, and wore my rain pants to help keep the heat in.

So my fun fact was that I thought I bent my rim on one of my tumbles, or maybe just the weight distribution with the new pannier. I noticed it on Tuesday, so I decided to stop by the bike shop on the way home yesterday. Turns out I broke a spoke. So I got to spend a few minutes learning how to properly true a tire, and install a new spoke, which was totally worth the money ($26.08). The guy even showed me how to do it from home, without anything special. It's kind of cool having that hands on stuff, as I've seen videos, but being able to be walked through it is even better. He even told me that if they wind up with another crappy wheel they would trash, he'd hold it for me so I can practice without risking the bike. I love this town!!
My friend has gone through this a lot recently since he is a larger guy.  He's actually been getting a little depressed over not being able to ride, and losing confidence that when he does he won't break more spokes.  We think we've gotten it figured out now, he's built a wheel up custom now, has 36 spokes, and been on biking forums with other Clydesdale riders (term he used) that have similar experience.

He taught himself to true a wheel, used an old fork from another bike as a truing stand, with zip ties for feelers.  Helped true my rear wheel for me, and I hope to learn to do it myself soon.

Yesterday, I also saw something on the phone that I didn't know how to react to. Before I stepped outside, I looked at the weather, and it said "Freezing Fog". I had no clue what that meant, but apparently it just means that ice covers everything. Took a few falls around the lake before I realized that I'd be better off riding in the grass on that particular part of the commute. Now, I look at the weather for today (56°F) and am stoked, but tomorrow, there is yet another weather description that I do not know. "Ice pellets". WTF? It's obviously not hail, otherwise it would say that. Should be interesting, though.

Just had that this morning, noticed a little crunch when leaving the garage, but it was 34F in most spots, with a couple areas nearby getting down to 29F, ride to work wasn't bad.

jordanread

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 11:16:45 AM »

I did use the arm warmers yesterday, but not when it was 51.  After the long ride, and the beer, it was 40F and dropping, so I pulled out my balaclava and arm warmers.  Also just got booties for my clipless road shoes.  Stayed nice and warm on the ride home, felt amazing.

Yeah, booties changed my life. :-)

My friend has gone through this a lot recently since he is a larger guy.  He's actually been getting a little depressed over not being able to ride, and losing confidence that when he does he won't break more spokes.  We think we've gotten it figured out now, he's built a wheel up custom now, has 36 spokes, and been on biking forums with other Clydesdale riders (term he used) that have similar experience.

He taught himself to true a wheel, used an old fork from another bike as a truing stand, with zip ties for feelers.  Helped true my rear wheel for me, and I hope to learn to do it myself soon.

One of the other things I learned was how to do a stress test on the tire. Even though I have a fair amount of weight on the wheel, including the pannier, we determined that it was just normal fatigue from the wheel being an estimated 12 years old, with thinner spokes for less weight. Same with the not so roundness of it. I should be okay for another year at least, hopefully.

Carlsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
OK, I signed up but likely won't log any this month due to snow in Kingston.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 12:24:38 PM »
OK, I signed up but likely won't log any this month due to snow in Kingston.

Snow is the PERFECT time to ride!

jordanread

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »
Another morning of freezing fog/drizzle. Ice over everything. I took it easy, and didn't fall once. Once I got into work, I found out that even people who live in town had to take an extra 20 minutes  to defrost their cars and scrape their windows. I took it easy, and spent less time on my commute than they did, plus I had way more fun!! Feeling very superior this morning. :-)

MidwestBiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
Last night's 10-mile ride was about the most intense bike-riding experience I can remember. After clearing out our driveway and sidewalk I decided to take a ride during the blizzard. Most of the snow was already on the ground and blowing around. It was light and powdery. But the roads were not cleared, nor was the bike path. I rode side-streets to the green-line trail, including some stretches of 3-4 inch deep powder. The green-line and LRT trails were kind of cleared off, but maybe just from the high winds. Saw about a half-dozen other bikers. The ride out was straight into the gusting wind. I had a new balaclava and it worked pretty well with my ski goggles. The air temp was up from previous sub-zero days. Main issue continues to be eyeglasses fogging up. Tilting my head around to keep some air infiltrating helps but that interferes with paying attention to everything else. But the ride into the wind, with some white-out conditions, was exhilarating. When I finally turned around, I had that same wind at my back and flew down the trail. This morning most of the roads were plowed. I took a longer route to work to make use of the cleared bike-paths. The road conditions vary from hard-packed to icy to slushy. The weather conditions last night, including 5F/-16F wind-chill and 28mph wind/43 mph gusts from the NW:
08 19:53 NW 28 G 43 5.00 Blowing Snow and Windy OVC024 7 -1   70% -16 NA 29.99 1017.8