Author Topic: January Cycling Challenge!  (Read 4973 times)

Nancy

January Cycling Challenge!
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:45:35 PM »

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
Re: January Cycling Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
First to record!!! :-)

I'm hoping for a significant increase in biking miles over previous months.

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
@lhamo: done.

I'm off to a slow start--lots of snow my way and only skinny tires to bike with. Don't want to spend money on snow tires until I'm more consistent, and by then it'll be warm. :)

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
Thank you Nancy. As soon as they open school I will be back on the bike. I am enjoying the extra two days off. I went outside and shoveled the driveway today. Can I transfer that to equivalent bike miles? I hate having a zero on the spread sheet.

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »
It'll be a slow start for me this month! The SO and I are trying to sort out our new schedules and we are carpooling right now. Hope to clock plenty of miles soon!

captainawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »
First month on the challenge, started this week.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can continue to get my 80 miles per week for my commute.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
I have to say, I prefer this "polar vortex" and -20 to -45 F windchill temps to weather earlier this winter with lots of snow piling up on the roads and freezing over before it can be plowed. Glad to be getting back into a more regular bike commute this month compared to all the holiday craziness in December!

Mlkmn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
@lhamo: done.

I'm off to a slow start--lots of snow my way and only skinny tires to bike with. Don't want to spend money on snow tires until I'm more consistent, and by then it'll be warm. :)

I am in the same boat. I wanted to ride to work in the -40 wind chill but the inch of ice on all of the roads made the 7 mile ride near impossible with my treadless road tires. I will probably invest in a low price used MTN bike for next winter and make some homemade studded tires.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
I'm terrible at remembering to record after rides, but I average about 90 miles/week polar vortex or not.

I do 2 25 mile fitness rides (and that's working towards a half-century). I will try to add a 3rd, but I hate not seeing my wife since our work schedules are opposite each other.

My work commute is another 40 miles weekly. When weather is nice, I'll make those rides longer so I end up with closer to 5 long rides/week. 200 miles a week would be great.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 04:30:37 AM »
After two terrible weeks of not biking, im back in the saddle again! -10 and windy, but still great!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
Welcome back Mrs. WW!

I have to say it's been absolutely gorgeous this week. There is crystalline quality to the air when it is -20 F, and this time of year I am riding right into the sunrise on the way into work and right into the sunset on the way home--breathtaking to witness the rise and fall of the sun across frozen lakes and rivers covered in newly fallen snow!

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »
Logged in my bike miles from my own mileage spreadsheet: 28 mile round trip to and from work on most days.

I've also gotten a little sick, and am wussing out another day (3 days lost scattered over the last 2 weeks) to promote a faster recovery...

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »
Additional challenge this morning. About halfway through my 8mi ride to work, my rear derailleur snapped off. Cue several swear words because I had to (a) walk the rest of the way, (b) will need a new derailleur and (c) will also need a ride home.

Luckily my wonderful coworker has already offered to drive me home tonight.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
Wow, I've never had that happen before TrMama. Should make a good story, but I don't envy your situation yesterday!

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
Had way too many Wimp days which I covered up with flimsy excuses like being sick, Costco trip, repair trips, "I'm too tired waah!"
February will need to be much better.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 09:06:35 AM »
I tried today, but it probably would have taken me 2+ hours to travel the 10 miles to work, and I unfortunately didn't have that kind of leeway. Usually Minneapolis is better about plowing during a snowstorm... :(

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
I updated my personal tab to also list out my car miles, and then compare the values to see how well I am doing at kicking my clown car habits.
It's not so good this month: looking at a 65% car usage when my goal was to aim for a 50-50 split.. but now I'm super motivated to try even harder!... starting next month.....

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 10:25:05 AM »
Welcome back Mrs. WW!

I have to say it's been absolutely gorgeous this week. There is crystalline quality to the air when it is -20 F, and this time of year I am riding right into the sunrise on the way into work and right into the sunset on the way home--breathtaking to witness the rise and fall of the sun across frozen lakes and rivers covered in newly fallen snow!

Yeah, it's miserable on the lungs but so, so beautiful!