Author Topic: January Biking Challenge!!!  (Read 21107 times)

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: January Biking Challenge!!!
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2013, 08:04:51 AM »
I just started riding my bike to work in Oct so this is all new to me.  I have found the colder it gets it seems like it saps my strength more.  Like this morning was rough.  It was below 10 F and I think there was a small headwind.

I was just curious if anyone experiences this.

I'm glad someone else said this!  I've been feeling that I've been riding pretty slowly lately.  Inflated my tires this morning, but today's commute didn't feel faster.  Here's hoping that it's the weather, and that once warmth returns I'll be zipping along like a gazelle.  Or maybe I'm just slow :/

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »
I think I tend to go a bit faster in the cold - on purpose, to stay warm!  But I don't often have to fight the wind. 

I do find that I wear out a little easier.  But my ride is so short, it's a very minor difference.

bcg150

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »
Personally I am a bit confused by it.  In Oct and November it did not seem as bad but then again, I am riding more often and longer distances to make a goal I set for myself.

And to lay it all out before you I am overweight so I have that working against me as well as it seems like I am always struggling with "hills" or a "headwind."  I guess I just figured at some point the rides would get easier over time but it has yet to happen.

It is good to hear others feel similar or say they seem to wear out easier in the cold.  I just wonder if sometimes I am doing something wrong.

bcg

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »
Interesting observation and question...There are a lot of variables to consider from my perspective:

1) I deflate my 2.1 inch mtb tires to 30psi in the winter on purpose (more contact and hence grip to road/ice/snow).  This necessarily causes more friction and therefore more pedal pushing power required. 
2) All moving components on bike are encumbered by more friction.  Most greases and lubricants stiffen up in very cold weather.  Additionally, corrosion happens very quickly to the drive train...btw I use chainsaw oil in the winter on my chain - works very well and is very sticky - salty stuff doesn't penetrate.
3) Moving more weight - more clothing worn and adherence of ice to most of my bike.
4) The surfaces I'm riding on are typically ice, compacted snow, slush, wet and sometimes even dry...these all slow things down alot due to friction and also an abundance of caution - I do not really want to crash...I havent' yet this winter!
5) I find I have less access to air with my balaclava on...not sure if this is a restriction or not.
6) My glasses can fog up and even ice.  This is not great because then I can't read upcoming road conditions and necessarily slow down.

Here's a good information resoure for biking in very cold winter weather:

Dressing:
http://www.icebike.org/Articles/strategy.htm

Riding Techniques:
http://www.icebike.org/Articles/techniques.htm

Winter Cycling Experiences in Ottawa:
http://www.icebike.org/Articles/Ottawa.htm

YAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
Could be a combination of the things, not the least of which is that cold air is denser than warm air, thus requiring more effort to move through. http://www.icebike.org/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm It was 2F here this morning, it was tough just getting on the bike, much less pedaling it.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:20 AM »
Could be a combination of the things, not the least of which is that cold air is denser than warm air, thus requiring more effort to move through. http://www.icebike.org/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm It was 2F here this morning, it was tough just getting on the bike, much less pedaling it.

Hey YAR, I didn't see that!  ha ha...would have saved me from typing out the crap I did!  And I missed some of the most important reasons to boot! 

Look on the bright side though - you'll be super fit, strong and fast when the weather gets more agreeable!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:51:07 AM by Ottawa »

YAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »

Hey YAR, I didn't see that!  ha ha...would have saved me from typing out the crap I did!  And I missed some of the most important reasons to boot! 

Look on the bright side though - you'll be super fit, strong and fast when the weather gets more agreeable!!

(I think we were making our posts at about the same time this morning)

A good friend of mine who is a former automotive engineer and cyclist (and my "mustachian" mentor) first pointed the cold air thing out to me a few years ago. I just always took his word for it but when I saw this post this morning I thought I better get independent verification. The good people at ICEBIKE did a nice job of laying out what a big deal it is.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 06:46:36 AM »
My commute in this morning would be toasty warm to you in Ottawa, but at 28F it was fairly cold for me here in FL.  It was actually a nice morning, or rather a nice middle of the night as I left at 4 AM (!) with another co-worker who's starting to ride in. 

He wanted to get an early start and ride a route that includes some sidewalks, as he's not comfortable with my usual road route.  It took about 1:20 to ride 23 miles this way.  I was reminded of how much I hate riding on sidewalks; they are not engineered for riding at any speed.  One road featured sidewalks that made sharp, more than 90 degree turns at each development entrance.

Here's hoping continued advocacy results in more (and safer) bike lanes here in FL; Jacksonville has the dubious distinction of earning Bicycling magazine's Worst Cities for Cycling award for several years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 07:04:10 AM »
We've had a week of -20 to -30 C with windchill here in the GTA . . .

About ten below is no problem for me on the bike.  Below that, and longer rides just feel miserable.  Every part of me that isn't too cold is overheating and sweating . . . my eyes are running constantly from the cold, my glasses fog up every time I need to stop at a light.  I have a new found respect for those of you in Ottawa who deal with these temps on a regular basis!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
Interesting observation and question...There are a lot of variables to consider from my perspective:

1) I deflate my 2.1 inch mtb tires to 30psi in the winter on purpose (more contact and hence grip to road/ice/snow).  This necessarily causes more friction and therefore more pedal pushing power required. 
2) All moving components on bike are encumbered by more friction.  Most greases and lubricants stiffen up in very cold weather.  Additionally, corrosion happens very quickly to the drive train...btw I use chainsaw oil in the winter on my chain - works very well and is very sticky - salty stuff doesn't penetrate.
3) Moving more weight - more clothing worn and adherence of ice to most of my bike.
4) The surfaces I'm riding on are typically ice, compacted snow, slush, wet and sometimes even dry...these all slow things down alot due to friction and also an abundance of caution - I do not really want to crash...I havent' yet this winter!
5) I find I have less access to air with my balaclava on...not sure if this is a restriction or not.
6) My glasses can fog up and even ice.  This is not great because then I can't read upcoming road conditions and necessarily slow down.

Here's a good information resoure for biking in very cold winter weather:

Dressing:
http://www.icebike.org/Articles/strategy.htm

Riding Techniques:
http://www.icebike.org/Articles/techniques.htm

Winter Cycling Experiences in Ottawa:
http://www.icebike.org/Articles/Ottawa.htm

The other problem I have is the colder it gets, the tighter my muscles feel starting out and the longer it takes to adapt. I sort of think of biking in the cold as the opposite of hot yoga. My ride is short, so I never bother stretching before, but I really should in the winter.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
The other problem I have is the colder it gets, the tighter my muscles feel starting out and the longer it takes to adapt. I sort of think of biking in the cold as the opposite of hot yoga. My ride is short, so I never bother stretching before, but I really should in the winter.

I hear you for sure on that one!

Today was apparently quite cold for Ottawa (-30C on the thermometer):
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/01/22/ottawa-coldest-day-in-eight-years.html

In actual fact I didn't find it cold at all!  This is great news - if I can handle the coldest day in 8 years - I can handle any other cold days this winter...statistically speaking... (apart perhaps from a super-wind induced windchill factor...). 

Here's what I wear below -10C in order of putting on:
Tight Merino long-johns (from Costco)
Tight wool socks (standard)
Bigger tight wool socks (Red Head)
Tight cycling pants (Mountain Equipment Co-op - Rouibax http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Cycling/PantsTights/PRD~5021-691/mec-roubaix-tights-mens.jsp
Polypropylene skin tight long sleeve shirt
25%Merino 25%Cotton 50% poly (Standfield's long sleeve looser fitting shirt)
Pants - Waterproof/Windproof Bontragers (from Bushtakuh)
Jacket - Waterproof/Windproof (orange) - http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing/JacketsVests/PRD~5026-469/mec-hydrosecteur-jacket-mens.jsp
Balaclava 1- tight polypropylene
Tight ear headband
Balaclava 2 - Bula - Polartec
Gloves - Kombi - goat skin outer
Hiking boots - goretex - Lowa

when warmer - i.e. sloppy roads I also wear waterproof gators.

I have the eyeglasses freezing up problem too...I've been thinking about getting some ski goggles.  Does anyone have experience with using these for biking?  I think the newer ones can accomodate glasses and also have good airflow to prevent the goggles fogging...

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
Just reading this is making me cold! Y'all are extra-badass! And I thought it was chilly here in Seattle last week, at 30F (that's 30 above zero!)

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »
Today was my coldest ride yet, at -11F (wind chill).  I wasn't actually all that cold, except for my fingers - I have yet to find a decent pair of gloves for this kind of weather. Though, today I put my gloves on then ziplocked my hands (bags over gloves, hair scrunchies over bags to cinch wrist) and my fingers stayed warmer than they usually do.  After about a half-mile the inside of the bags had started to fog up - I think my sleeves were venting warmth into the bags, which helped a lot. 

The one thing that annoys me about cold rides is that it takes me so much longer to prep in the morning.  I think this is because it's hard to get the "bike engine" (i.e., me) running when it's cold out.  I do everything slower, and there's more to do.  By the time I got to work this morning, I'd been bundled up for so long I forgot which clothes I was actually wearing.  :)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
I've been reading this thread for inspiration, but until today, hadn't managed to actually get on the bike. This morning, our old truck was ready to be picked up from the shop, so rather than wait until tomorrow when DH would be available to give me a lift, I rode the 2.5 miles to go get it.

It's a windy 32F out there, but I guessed right on my clothing layers (most importantly, the stretchy gloves covered by DH's fleece-lined leather work gloves) so it wasn't too bad. I did have to walk all the up-hills, but it was fine. After experiencing some discomfort in my shoulders and Googling how to fit a bike, I can tell that I'll need to make some adjustments to handlebar and seat height. Otherwise, with the addition of a bike rack and milk crate, I should be all set.

SO! I'm ready for Step 1 of my own personal biking challenge: No car use for mid-day errands.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
2 flats in my last 2 days of riding :( I've ordered think tubes and liners, so I guess I won't ride again until they arrive.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2013, 11:03:49 AM »
Everyone here gets major props! With the cold front that moved in I turned to walking rather than biking to stave off the windchill. But serious badass points to everyone else! I'm hoping to get back on the bike as soon as it gets a bit above 0F again.

Tripcode

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
40km round trip biking in -18C

best of luck to you fellas, I'm going to stick to my metropass

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
Just found this video on winter bike commuting:

It's filmed in Chicago so there are some Chicago-specific tips, but also lots of good info about layering for warmth.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
I cannot claim any level of badassity, because I just rode my bike in 43 degree weather.  Seattle weather for you:)  But I'm back on the bike 4 weeks after surgery (two weeks sooner than expected) and am going to continue to get more riding time in!

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Don't worry, Tami - I'd trade all my badassity for a couple of weeks of 43 degree weather, in a heartbeat!  =D  I'm badass out of necessity, not by nature...

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »
This morning as I was dropping my son off at daycare I counted 7 SUVs and one car. The two SUVs right in front of my bike were both Mercedes to boot.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »
This morning as I was dropping my son off at daycare I counted 7 SUVs and one car. The two SUVs right in front of my bike were both Mercedes to boot.

That's a fabulous mental image. Thanks for the laugh.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
Would you please add me to the sheet? I ride my bike all year round to work here in the south of Sweden. It's only a 8 km round trip but very steep, easy 9 minutes to go to work and 19 not so easy minutes going home. Today was -14C and my sinuses froze just a tad. Note to self - only exhale through nose when under minus 10!

The town I live in has a really good bike path network throughout town and a very neet bike online map provided by the city. You type in your starting point, destination and the map gives you three different route suggestions and tells you distance, estimated time and how strenuous the ride will be. Great for varying your commute and estimating arrival time when going new places.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »
The town I live in has a really good bike path network throughout town and a very neet bike online map provided by the city. You type in your starting point, destination and the map gives you three different route suggestions and tells you distance, estimated time and how strenuous the ride will be. Great for varying your commute and estimating arrival time when going new places.

Sounds like awesome software!

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2013, 07:59:18 AM »
Could be a combination of the things, not the least of which is that cold air is denser than warm air, thus requiring more effort to move through.
Cold air at the same pressure is denser...which means, effectively, at sea level. Up here, it's less dense in winter--the denser air down there has to come from somewhere! (Our air goes south for the winter.)

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
I've turned a corner this month, somehow.  My biggest challenge has been paying attention to recording my mileage, etc., because under the tremendous influence of the last few months' bicycling challenge, getting around exclusively by bike has become the norm, without my having to think much about it.  This is FANTASTIC, and I thank you all for it.  I don't have much daily travel in terms of distance, it's true.  But it's also true that because I'm on my bike I'm much less likely to go gallivanting all the hell over the place.  Totally fine with me. 

This past week, when several people have said to me, "What are you, nuts? It's too cold to bike," I simply chuckled.  I am perfectly warm moving about on my sweet short bike ride, in a way I would not be if I were sitting in my car for that same short ride.  If anything, I try to add more mileage to my ride, to make the most of being out and about in this time of Winter that can feel so limiting.  So, thank you, thank you. 

YAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 05:03:06 AM »
I totally wimped out today and drove to work. Having wiped out on ice once already this winter, (first bike related spill since 1978) I decided discretion was the better part of not having a broken hip or something. Anyway, the freezing rain should be gone by tonight and it will be back in the saddle again tomorrow.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »
I know it's kind of late in the season to be putting this out there, but for anyone stuck on a road bike wishing you had a touch more traction through the snow, I have a tire recommendation for you: Kenda Kwick cyclocross tires. They are:
-hella cheap. $15 each
-knobby on the sides for grip and smoothish in the middle for easy rolling
-small... 700Cx30. They fit in my regular road calipers with room to spare

I've had them for a month or so now but wanted to wait until we got real snow before I made an actual recommendation. We got a good fall at the end of last week so I got to test them out and boy are they great. Even on the slick packed-down driven-on snow I could monstertruck around with no worries of sliding out. Way better than the sorta-treaded Vittoria Randonneur x Conti Gatorskin matchup I was riding last year.

Only downside: they're super thin so they probably won't last more than 500 miles on dry pavement, and will puncture easily. I only plan on running them through the snowy season though, so they should still last a few years. They're also not studded (should be obvious but I thought I'd mention it anyway...), so ice is still a no-no

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
The cross tires do square off when you ride them on roads regularly, but they still seem to last ~1k miles or so for me.  I have some cheap Kenda cross tires (don't remember the specific model) on my cross bike and I've been very happy with them for light off road use and stuff like gravel/sandy roads.  I air 'em down to about 50 psi for sand; I don't have snow riding experience but I imagine it'd be similar.

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
~1k miles?  That's what, about a month for you, kendallf?  ;)

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
~1k miles?  That's what, about a month for you, kendallf?  ;)

Yes, although I'm on a reduced training schedule this year as I need to do a lot of home repair/renovation.  :)  I also have a lot of bikes.. I like to build them from scratch, and I buy and sell bikes/parts to fund my more expensive race bikes.  I buy things like tires, chains, and cassettes in batches from whichever online vendor is cheapest (often in the UK, for some reason).

For instance, this bike was given to me, with most of the parts currently on it.  I have ~$100 in it (powdercoat, replacement decals, tape, cables).  Everything else was polished and reused, or came from my parts bin.  Restoring it was just a fun project; I rode it a few times and decided it was surplus.  It's currently for sale for $550 at a local shop.

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2013, 01:45:57 AM »
Hey,

Can I get my name on the sheet? I have some miles to contribute to January. I started biking into work, today 6.86 miles.

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2013, 08:19:12 AM »
Hi, Martyn - I added you in to the spreadsheet and updated your miles.  You're all set.  :)

The one thing I didn't know how to do was add a line for Martyn in the chart on the master summary page.  Anyone know how that works? 

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »
Hi, Martyn - I added you in to the spreadsheet and updated your miles.  You're all set.  :)

The one thing I didn't know how to do was add a line for Martyn in the chart on the master summary page.  Anyone know how that works?

I updated the chart.

To update the chart: Click on the graph. A drop down arrow will appear in the upper right hand corner. From the drop down select "Advanced Edit". Then click the "Start" tab and modify the "Data - Select ranges …" to include the new riders.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »
Well dang.  I was hoping to make it to 350 miles this month, and assuming I could do my normal commute + an extra mile tomorrow, that was going to happen.  There's been below freezing temperatures, which has been fine.  For the past few days there's been rain, which has been fine.  But tomorrow the high is 16... after two days of rain... think I'm going to just succumb and take public transit tomorrow, as I am pretty sure the roads (and especially the bike lanes) are going to be straight ice.  Alas!

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »

I updated the chart.

To update the chart: Click on the graph. A drop down arrow will appear in the upper right hand corner. From the drop down select "Advanced Edit". Then click the "Start" tab and modify the "Data - Select ranges …" to include the new riders.

Thanks to both of you. It was a baptism of fire today:

A new bike, I'm 25 and I've not ridden a bike since I was at least 15.  Bikes have advanced a'lot. I'm being very inefficient with my gears, (I'm putting it down to not being very used to the bike with it being new) I keep lowering gears instead of raising, mostly leaving me spinning the pedals like a mad man on flats and in top gear when going up hills and at junctions. I had gale force head winds that just sucked all the energy out of me through losing speed constantly and abruptly. Then to top it off the seat is hard as hell, hence I've been left with a tenderised bum. Oh and the chain slipped off when I was halfway up a hill on the way home.

Against all the odd though I'm happy I just got on with it. I'll be off again on Friday. I'd like to do it all again tomorrow but I can't sit on the seat as it hurts quite a bit. Can anyone recommend a good comfy one that isn't going to cost the world?

Total miles today 13.87

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2013, 06:51:01 AM »
45 kph headwinds on the way to work this morning. . . holy crap that makes the ride a lot harder!

A new bike, I'm 25 and I've not ridden a bike since I was at least 15.  Bikes have advanced a'lot. I'm being very inefficient with my gears, (I'm putting it down to not being very used to the bike with it being new) I keep lowering gears instead of raising, mostly leaving me spinning the pedals like a mad man on flats and in top gear when going up hills and at junctions. I had gale force head winds that just sucked all the energy out of me through losing speed constantly and abruptly. Then to top it off the seat is hard as hell, hence I've been left with a tenderised bum. Oh and the chain slipped off when I was halfway up a hill on the way home.

Against all the odd though I'm happy I just got on with it. I'll be off again on Friday. I'd like to do it all again tomorrow but I can't sit on the seat as it hurts quite a bit. Can anyone recommend a good comfy one that isn't going to cost the world?

Total miles today 13.87

Bike seats are very personal.  I am comfortable on stuff that my friends can't sit on for more than 20 minutes.  Buying a seat depends on how upright you are, how far you're going, how your butt is shaped, and what kind of shape you're in.  My advice would be to give it two or three weeks at least with your current seat before you decide to change it.

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2013, 07:36:18 AM »
Seconding what GuitarStv said - sadly, seat cushiness is not a guarantee of comfort.  I think a lot of it is just what you get used to.  I ride a Trek 7200 with a relatively firm seat in summer, and it's achy for the first couple of days, but after that I don't even notice it.  When I switch back to the mountain bike for winter commuting, the seat is far softer and more cushiony, and that hurts too, until I'm used to it again.

Congrats on your first day!  Almost 14 miles - that's awesome.  My commute is far shorter; I'm constantly looking for ways to lengthen it.  :)

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
Seconding what GuitarStv said - sadly, seat cushiness is not a guarantee of comfort.  I think a lot of it is just what you get used to.  I ride a Trek 7200 with a relatively firm seat in summer, and it's achy for the first couple of days, but after that I don't even notice it.  When I switch back to the mountain bike for winter commuting, the seat is far softer and more cushiony, and that hurts too, until I'm used to it again.

Congrats on your first day!  Almost 14 miles - that's awesome.  My commute is far shorter; I'm constantly looking for ways to lengthen it.  :)
45 kph headwinds on the way to work this morning. . . holy crap that makes the ride a lot harder!

Total miles today 13.87

Bike seats are very personal.  I am comfortable on stuff that my friends can't sit on for more than 20 minutes.  Buying a seat depends on how upright you are, how far you're going, how your butt is shaped, and what kind of shape you're in.  My advice would be to give it two or three weeks at least with your current seat before you decide to change it.

Cheers for the advice on the seat guys. I had the same advice off one of my colleague regarding waiting a few weeks to see if I get used to the seat, rather than going out and buying one. I did a bit of research this morning on them and it seems quite a complicated science in picking one that matches the shape or your arse. Still a little sore but I'm still going to get on with it tomorrow.

I just keep reminding myself that its saving the best part of £5 a day in commuting costs.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »
And this is why you should always check the weather BEFORE you bike to the office:

- 45 kph/28 mph winds (with gusts up to 80 kph / 50 mph)
- Near white-out conditions
- -14 C / 6.8 F
- recently thawed snow melt frozen over everywhere
- blowing (horizontal) snow falling

To be fair, it was +14 C/57 F yesterday . . . figured it would be alright today too.

Dammit.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
I just added the last kilometers to this month. Stachinit, will you please add my 90 something kilometres to the total?

Biking is soo great - the best thing is the way it wakes me up in the morning and not to mention the $8 a day I save in not taking the bus!

Will the challenge continue in February?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
I just added the last kilometers to this month. Stachinit, will you please add my 90 something kilometres to the total?

Biking is soo great - the best thing is the way it wakes me up in the morning and not to mention the $8 a day I save in not taking the bus!

Will the challenge continue in February?

Most definitely! I'll crank out the February spreadsheet today.

I added your kilometers to this month's chart!

BayIslandSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
Looking forward to the February challenge!

I haven't biked to work in years, but you guys have motivated me to pick it up again.
My goal is 8 RTs in February...I had to post this publicly, or it's unlikely to get accomplished.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:10:42 PM by BayIslandSaver »

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
I'm so inspired by all the miles logged this month! Especially from those in very cold climates (aka The Badasses)

Here's the spreadsheet for February:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edERXRG15N19aOTBpRTQxR3ExZkFoRmc

I'll start a new thread here on the forums!  See y'all in February!