Author Topic: Jan-Feb 2015 Declutter Challenge  (Read 12057 times)

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Jan-Feb 2015 Declutter Challenge
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:08:50 PM »
Declutter your whole house. I could do this in one month, but we're gone for half of Jan. so I'm extending it through Feb. We have a kitchen remodel coming up, so this is good timing for me. How much can YOU get rid of? :D

hunniebun

• Bristles
Re: Jan-Feb 2015 Declutter Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »
I already have 2 garbage bags full of stuff for donation and listed a bunch of items on kijiji to sell!  I am aiming to do this each week for the next few until the worst of the holiday excess has been balanced out.  I like the one in two out method and the kids got so much stuff for the holidays that it means a lot needs to go out!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
My WHOLE house - I think that will take a couple of YEARS. I am currently going through my cassettes and records, putting the ones I want onto USB sticks so I can get rid of the lot (including the sound systems). That is January's job and it will remove about 400 items from the house. I expect I will end up with 4 USB sticks.

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:21:48 PM »
My WHOLE house - I think that will take a couple of YEARS. I am currently going through my cassettes and records, putting the ones I want onto USB sticks so I can get rid of the lot (including the sound systems). That is January's job and it will remove about 400 items from the house. I expect I will end up with 4 USB sticks.

I know from observation that this is a big, huge undertaking! haha.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 10:50:22 PM »
Well, on re-reading, you are challenging people for what they can take on - I will commit to the cassettes and records as per my previous e-mail.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:52:17 PM »
I love this! I recently cleaned out 3-4 boxes of old junk from my room alone - I'm maybe halfway done. Now for the rest of the house (my family members are pack rats, or sorts.)

MustacheMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:26:06 AM »
I am in!  So far this year I've already purged some Christmas decorations (1 box to goodwill), sorted and purged children's clothes (1 large bag to goodwill, 1 large box for a consignment sale), and the trend continues!

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »
In November, I made up my own "Triple Ten Declutter Challenge."
It simply meant for 10 days in a row, set aside 10 minutes each day to pick 10 items for donation or recycle or trash.  10 x 10 x 10!  .... It totaled up to my home being 100 items lighter in just 10 days. :-)

In February, my Mom will be coming for a month-long visit.  So I will join you in this declutter challenge!

My NEW GOAL will be to completely clean out the guest room. 
The closet, dresser & night stands should be empty so that my Mom can hang & put away her clothes, instead of living out of her suitcase.   

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »
Somewhere in time, before we owned our house, a previous owner converted the garage into three rooms: a laundry room and two other rooms.  These other rooms have closets, so I presume they were intended to be bedrooms. Those rooms are like traps for any variety of clutter you can imagine. My goal is to get those rooms organized this year, but I know I can get it done by the end of February if I'm really motivated. So count me in!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 01:33:57 PM »
Last month I donated several car-loads of stuff that my parents had accumulated on my behalf, and successfully minimized my non-furniture/appliance possessions to bedsheets, clothes, two computers, hand tools, and books. Unfortunately I haven't convinced my wife to part with arts/crafts supplies she doesn't use. I keep reminding her how much space babies take up as an incentive to de-clutter.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »
Yesterday I donated a couple boxes of kitchen/household items, 2 boxes of shoes and clothing, and a box of books, and have two boxes of fabric in the truck to be passed off to a friend tomorrow.  Still have more to go though, and my weekends are theoretically free for the next several weeks, so I'll be checking in with this thread.

Part of my decluttering process is finishing bunches of little projects.  For instance, I found curtains I sewed for the basement windows and need to finish them off and get them hung.

To do:

• Trip to the dump to get rid of a big pile of brush and take old paint  and fluorescent tubes to hazardous waste
  • Go through closets and dressers one more time and get rid of anything that doesn't get worn.  Either make the changes to things that need repairs or alterations, or get rid of them.
  • Mate up all the lonely socks and get rid of anything that's left.
  • Prune the cookbook collection, sell or donate
  • Sell or give away some unneeded horse equipment
  • Have the mounting plates removed from my truck bed so I can sell the 5th wheel hitch that came with the truck
  • Stain, finish and install the baseboards I just purchased

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »
My apartment is already pretty de-cluttered, but already in January I've donated 5-6 pairs of shoes, sold (for $1 haha) 15 books and donated 5-6 towels to a local animal shelter. woohoo! I've got an old Bose sound system and a laptop to get rid of next.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
I've been on a decluttering binge. The basement is the worst spot in the house. I have about half of it done. It takes about an hour just to get 5 sq ft of space organized and cleaned out. Every time i go down there, I am discouraged by how much more time it will take to get it finished. I am giving myself of a target of 10 more days to have it done.
 So far I have the playroom, office, hall closet, dining room, and kids room done.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
I'm in!

I just put together 3, 30 gallon trash bags full of old clothing to donate.  I expect I have another 2 bags worth that I will go through.

I also intend to go through DVD's and throw any that are scratched/damaged and cannot plan, and do the same with CD's.  I have a lot of each so it will take quite a bit of watching to figure it out!

Also on the chopping block are two large sized U-Haul boxes full of books, which I have not opened since moving 12+ months ago.  Time to sell!

With all that gone I will still have plenty of "stuff" lying around, but mostly things that I use.  Great challenge thanks!

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 06:38:02 AM »
We got rid of loads of stuff when we moved home in December 2013, and have continued the decluttering over the past year.

However, we still have some boxes of stuff in our bedroom and in the hallway waiting to be recycled, donated to the charity shop (i.e., thrift shop) or listed on eBay. It's all ready to go but it just hasn't quite made it out of the door yet :-/

We're going away for a long weekend on 21st January so that would be a reasonable deadline for getting rid of it all. Plus, we'll hopefully complete the purchase of our new house at the start of February so having less crap to move would be good.

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 07:39:38 AM »
I think this counts as decluttering. 

We're going paperless at home this year (mostly).  After using a ScanSnap at work for 12 months and going paperless there I set out to do the same at home in 2015.  I'd like to be done scanning all our files AND photos by the end of February. 

The project goes hand in hand with a digital organization overhaul that I'm tackling - getting all our digital life into three master categories: File Cabinet, Music and Photos/Media.  Obviously each master file has subcategories by year, etc.  Then everything gets encrypted, backed up onto a personal cloud and external cloud. 

I CANNOT wait to be done. 

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »
My goal for January is the spare room.  It used to be my daughter's room but she moved 2000 miles away last year.  She was home for Christmas and went through some of her stuff still there.  She identified things she wants me to ship to her and things to get rid of.  Found some college textbooks which I put on eBay and already sold three for a total of $85!  So I'm off to a good start.  There is still a bookcase full of books that she's not quite ready to part with but didn't want me to ship to her.  I agreed to keep them for now.  I have to be careful not to let that room become a dumping ground.

ScroogeMcDutch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
Considering I am moving 1st of February, I am going through a declutter stage as well. I have already done quite a lot in a minimalist type stint end of last year, and want to continue this this month.

Main points are:

DVDs and PS3 games (to go, or not to go)
Old university books & transcripts (to keep or to digitize and get rid of)
Sentimental items (no idea what to do with them)

The first two are definitely on my list of tackling before the move. The latter one I am still undecided what I want to do with them. Hopefully the 'clutter', including clothes, will fit in 15 moving boxes at the most.

All in all, getting rid of stuff so far has been a relief.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 04:23:02 PM »
We started on our decluttering with returning things we bought and didn't use.... Stuff like extra gifts. Next in line is throwing out bunch of papers that came in mail and got collected all Dec long. Then onto selling/donating things.... I can see the next few weekends are going to be super busy

Mr Dorothy Dollar

• Stubble
    • Dorothy Dollar
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 07:06:33 PM »
Get rid of the phone book for good by opting out. Saves you time by never having to recycle it again and is environmentally friendly. https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/

kbeth07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
This is pretty easy for me, since I only have one room in the house that's full of my stuff - unless you count my products in the bathroom. I've already been going through and getting rid of unneeded things since December, from clothes to books to old school notebooks, but now I have a pile of stuff that I need to try to sell. Plus I'm thinking of converting a bunch of old papers (mostly writing I did in the last 8 years or so) into a digital format. I'm sure if I really try, there's more that I can do away with.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »
Definitely doing some ongoing de-cluttering this month--some stuff to donate tomorrow, and then some bags under the bed waiting for a possible clothing swap or re-sale. I'm planning to dig through my closet some more (don't really need all those extra bathing suits or shoes...) and add to the pile. Hoping to keep a permanent 'outbox' for stuff that can be gotten rid of.

NVDee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »
I am doing the Aparetment Therapy January cure for the second time, a large portion is devoted to decluttering/purging with the use of an outbox.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »
I am doing the January Cure too! It's a good way to stay motivated to get things clean, organized, and fresh for the new year. Count me in for a lot of decluttering! My goal is to get AT LEAST 100 things out of the house.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »
I am currently going through my cassettes and records, putting the ones I want onto USB sticks so I can get rid of the lot (including the sound systems). That is January's job and it will remove about 400 items from the house. I expect I will end up with 4 USB sticks.
I am making progress. Most of the tapes have been done. The records are a different matter. Why did I think that I would only want to keep a few of them?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

To do:

• Trip to the dump to get rid of a big pile of brush and take old paint  and fluorescent tubes to hazardous waste
  • Go through closets and dressers one more time and get rid of anything that doesn't get worn.  Either make the changes to things that need repairs or alterations, or get rid of them.
  • Mate up all the lonely socks and get rid of anything that's left.
  • Prune the cookbook collection, sell or donate
  • Sell or give away some unneeded horse equipment
  • Have the mounting plates removed from my truck bed so I can sell the 5th wheel hitch that came with the truck
  • Stain, finish and install the baseboards I just purchased

OK, so I knocked off some of the easy ones first.  Dresser drawers are nicely organized and have plenty of room now though.

PerpetualWanderlust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
I don't have too much to declutter, but I will go through my closet and throw out any clothes I don't wear anymore. I did the same last year, but there's still items I haven't been wearing.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 12:31:38 AM »

Main points are:

DVDs and PS3 games (to go, or not to go)
Old university books & transcripts (to keep or to digitize and get rid of)
Sentimental items (no idea what to do with them)

#3 + 1,000,000! sentimental items are the most difficult.  For me, it's going to be a lot of digital.. all the photos, pictures of certain items I want to remember, etc.  Not easy to throw away keepsakes.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
I'm a little late to this party, but I've got a few decluttering tasks on my todo list.

• Desk Cleanup - Clean off top of desk, and convert my desk junk drawer to an actually useful drawer.
  • Clothes - I've been doing this over time but I need to continue with the clothing purge.  My goal is to get it down to either all clothes fit in my closet at once, or reduce enough so the off season storage is only 1 bin.
  • Possibly continue the kitchen declutter/reorganization? This is a tough one for me.  I need to figure out better places for things that are always just hanging out on my kitchen counters.  Some of them I just want to get rid of, but some things are used often and need to find homes.  That might mean clearing space in my cabinets or putting a shelf up somewhere.  I also need to get some trays so that I can more easily reach/see things on the shelving unit I have.

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »
Back home and ready to fully devote myself to my own challenge, heh.

We are busy painting and assembling trim, baseboards, etc., which I'm counting as decluttering since they were formerly sitting in a pile on our dining room floor. ;)

We also got some nice big bins for storing sleeping bags and travel bags; they were formerly all in a big heap on the floor of the spare bedroom closet, made it hard to find what you were looking for. I also want to sort through the rest of the junk in that closet as well as cleaning out the closet in our bedroom. I like to keep our living areas relatively spartan so most of our junk accumulates in the closet. Kitchen will be an important focus area, too. We're remodeling it in a couple months, presuming nothing else gets in the way, and less I have to move around in the process, the better.

I've hit a creative streak and keep wanting to work on my writing; creative streaks are so ill-timed. But decluttering is a creative outlet for me as well if I'm properly motivated, so maybe I can just re-channel it.

How is everyone else coming along with their goals?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »
I am currently going through my cassettes and records, putting the ones I want onto USB sticks so I can get rid of the lot (including the sound systems). That is January's job and it will remove about 400 items from the house. I expect I will end up with 4 USB sticks.
I am making progress. Most of the tapes have been done. The records are a different matter. Why did I think that I would only want to keep a few of them?
I have finished taping 91 dance records and cassettes - now for the rest of the collection - which will be easier. I still need to properly index the dance music.

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 01:20:20 AM »
We got rid of loads of stuff when we moved home in December 2013, and have continued the decluttering over the past year.

However, we still have some boxes of stuff in our bedroom and in the hallway waiting to be recycled, donated to the charity shop (i.e., thrift shop) or listed on eBay. It's all ready to go but it just hasn't quite made it out of the door yet :-/

We're going away for a long weekend on 21st January so that would be a reasonable deadline for getting rid of it all. Plus, we'll hopefully complete the purchase of our new house at the start of February so having less crap to move would be good.

So time seems to be running away with me... I came on to the forum to post proudly about my progress towards the decluttering goal and then realised that I'd accidentally downsized the goal in my mind. I'd said clear the hallway AND our bedroom but only focused on the hallway since then. Ooops.

Anyway, yesterday I finally started on the hallway by taking a big box of papers out for recycling. I doesn't seem like much but the recycling bin in our communal facilities is so small, it's often a challenge to find enough space in it without annoying the other residents by filling it to the brim. I've eventually accepted (with a little encouragement from my OH) that I probably won't post some of our lower value stuff on eBay. So I've added those items to the charity shop pile, which I'll take into town at lunch time today. Then the hallway will be clear. Yay!

This really doesn't seem like much but I love the fresh, light and airy feeling you get when you clear a bit of space. The link between my physical environment and psychological well being is astounding. It's is great to have a challenge like this to keep you accountable. 

MustacheMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 05:57:22 AM »
I've gone through my son's closet and the baby/toddler clothes that were stored in the attic.  Came up with another large box to consign, and a box and bag off to goodwill.  We have another baby boy on the way, but for once I took a practical approach to what I saved.  Any clothing that annoyed me or that I remember never using with DS1 went.  I also had way too many clothes in some sizes, so I pared that down to a reasonable amount.

We installed two new ceiling light fixtures and the old working ones went straight into the car and straight to goodwill without even a moment to become clutter! 

I'm currently working on the laundry room, the shelves in there have become a bit of a catch all area.  After that I'd like to tackle the paint corner in the garage and take the paint that is beyond old or a color we will never use again to the hazardous waste landfill. 

I've started a notebook with a page for each room/area in the house and a list of to-dos.  Checking things off is wonderful motivation sometimes. 

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 06:56:55 AM »
I'm in on this one too.  Five bags packed and ready to go to the Salvation Army.  I love the peace that comes with organization. 

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 08:51:33 AM »
Somewhere in time, before we owned our house, a previous owner converted the garage into three rooms: a laundry room and two other rooms.  These other rooms have closets, so I presume they were intended to be bedrooms. Those rooms are like traps for any variety of clutter you can imagine. My goal is to get those rooms organized this year, but I know I can get it done by the end of February if I'm really motivated. So count me in!

It's been slow going with this challenge for the past couple weeks.  I've taken a bunch of stuff to Goodwill, but there is still so much to do!  I have the day off today, so I will be able to spend a chunk of time working on my task.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 04:49:04 PM »
I'm in. Only have a room in the condo however.I try to keep my possessions to a minimum, but amount tends to creep up slowly. Waiting for "The life changing magic of tidying up" to come in at the library. From what I hear (from another gauntlet), the authors method for decluttering is along the lines of considering what one would like to keep rather than what to give/throw away. I like that & find as I implement this that I am releasing more (awesome).

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 07:59:44 AM »
I am doing the January Cure too! It's a good way to stay motivated to get things clean, organized, and fresh for the new year. Count me in for a lot of decluttering! My goal is to get AT LEAST 100 things out of the house.

This morning, after two hours at my part time job, Hubs and I are dropping a box by the thrift store. It's got about 20 things in it! Feels great. When I get home, I plan to spend several hours doing 45/15s and cleaning/decluttering/identifying things to donate.

I have invited a couple over for dinner next weekend, we don't know them well, and I'd like to get to know them better, and I want to put my best foot forward when they see the house for the first time. Since we have three dogs, our house tends to have a fluff problem, so the less stuff we have out, the easier it is to clean. I am LOVING the January Cure this year.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 08:07:41 AM »
70+ items gone! Much more to go. Will go through the rest and reassess the things I already went through as soon as I have time. Within the next week. I LOVE this process. It feels so good to release all those things I don't like/ use/ need!

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
We decluttered during the Holidays, but it's not finished, so I'm in ! We do a big clean-up twice a year, but it's becoming harder, because we don't own much stuff. When we moved into this apartment, we didn't own anything except our laptops, a mattress, a bed and our personal belongings. We bought everything we needed and decorated from scratch (after we painted the whole place to make it our own). Even the ''non-essential'' stuff we own (such as paintings, mirrors and other decorative items), we do not feel need to be decluttered, because everything was chosen wisely, reflects our personality and our creativity, adds to our overall feeling of happiness and serenity. We're definitely home lovers/indoor type of people, so our minimalist views are not based on functionality only.

So far we've decluttered :
- Clothing and shoes
- Kitchen items (and all cabinets)
- DVDs, CDs and books
- All closets
- Boxes under the bed

Next on my to-do list :
- Go through cosmetics, nailcare and haircare products.
- Declutter accessories, jewelry and lingerie/hosiery drawers, because it's a mess and I can't stand it.
- Reorganize pantry ? I don't want to spend too much money on it though, we're renting after all.
- Any clothing item that I kept, but didn't wear this winter will go in April.
- Declutter outdoor equipment (camping, BBQ and sports), but this will be done in Spring.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
Cleaned out:
My DH closet and dresser.  So organized now!
Pantry
Hall Closet
Desk

Still to do:
My clothes
Kitchen cabinet
My closet

Organization=Peace

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »
Going for an 50-75% reduction of what my wife and I own:

Gave away 90% of my books, and around 25% of hers, to owners who would read them

Sold redundant furniture

Sold spare computer parts, 2nd screen, extra speakers

Sold / gave away tools I don't use anymore

50-75% reduction in clothing, donated to Goodwill

In the process of finding homes for computer games and CDs we don't play anymore

Sold / gave away exercise equipment I rarely use, as I don't need "stuff" to stay in shape

~

I have yet to figure out what to do with some of our art/decorations, and I haven't gone through any of our paperwork

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
Ecky , love this. I did the same ( 75% gone two times years ago) & sice have kept belongings to a minimum (besides bed, everything would fit in a car). Still, am currently working on reducing again - this time by about 50%. Its a great feeling

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm getting in on this. I've been slowly decluttering, but got word today that our landlord wants to move in to their house, so we will be moving again in April (we moved here last October, and moved in the April before that!) I don't want to move all of our stuff again!

I'm working on selling things online and filling the boot of our car with things to be donated.

anon-e-mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »
Garage has been cleaned... I never knew it was so big!
Sold 3 shelving racks, unused bikes, dirt bikes, toys, etc.  Enough to pay off 3 credit cards.
Donated 3 large truck loads of decent items to local charity. (tax deductions)

Can't emphasize the mental clarity that a cleaned out garage gives you.
It's almost zen like to stand in there and enjoy the emptiness.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »
Anon-e-mouse- enough to pay off 3 credit cards?! That's pretty good! Do you have 3 to pay off?

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 04:04:28 PM »
Last day of the challenge coming right up!

Bedroom&closet #1 is done for now.

Dining room and living room is done for now.

Bedroom&closet #2 is about half done.

Bathroom and kitchen is still a disaster, but it can't be helped because we haven't found some needed storage items in the case of the bathroom, and the kitchen is about to be remodeled, so moving everything out of it is when the decluttering will happen.

I feel like I didn't accomplish as much as was possible, but was more productive than I expected given my tendency towards procrastination. So overall a success.

anon-e-mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 08:28:03 PM »
Had 3 small and one $5k cards.  My brand new dirt bike paid off most of the cc debt.  :(

Short term pain for long term gain.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 10:22:21 PM »
Anon-e-mouse- that's great though:) . at least its paid now. & we are the fortunate who have learned to live differently - becoming debt free & later retiring early!