Author Topic: It was all my wife's idea! (Hangover Half)  (Read 4023 times)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
It was all my wife's idea! (Hangover Half)
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »
The Challange:
   http://hangoverhalf.com
The Reason:
   I have personally been sucking in the healthy living department for a couple years now. Everytime I get motivated and decide to do something about my body something comes up and I get all complainypaints and end up falling off the wagon. I used to do athletic events and always found that it is easier to keep motivated when you have an end goal in mind. I have also spent too many new years eves overindulging in adult beverages and would just rather not have a repeat of that this year.
Time frame:
   As I write this there are 121 Days left for me to get ready for this.
Goals:
1. To be able to complete all three races.
2. To set some sort of time goal for the half marathon. For now however I don’t have the slightest clue as to what I am capable of since I have never ran longer than a 10k.
3.  To use these 4 months to help change some of the bad eating habits DW and I have developed over this crazy busy summer.
4. I am also ~35 heavier than I want to be and would like to see myself get closer to my ideal weight.
Advice and accountability:
   In my real world life I really don’t have anybody to help me with this. So I am asking the mustaches for a little help in keeping me accountable and would appreciate any mustaches who are experienced with this sort of thing to lend me any advice/ constructive criticism. Also just having this out there in the open makes me hold myself accountable.

p.s. my wife got asked by one of her coworkers if we would want to do this. that is the reason for title of the tread lol.
p.p.s. It sounds like a fun way to bring in the new year so if anybody wants to join in the link is at the top ;)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
Re: It was all my wife's idea! (Hangover Half)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:19:45 AM »
*Update*

Not going to lie but this week took some perseverance! Being my first week of training it was a little difficult to keep hitting my workouts bc life kept getting in the way.

Monday- Ran 3.5 miles and then walked another 3.5 miles with DW and the dog.

Tuesday- Went to work and a coworker had a family emergency and needed somebody to cover him since it was his week on standby. Being the nice guy I am I volunteered to cover for him (its been really quite lately so I probably won't even get called out lol). Got off work and went on another 3.5 mile run. ate dinner with DW and then went back out for our evening walk with the dog so another 3.5 miles. We no sooner get back to house and I get called in to work ~7:30 and I don't get home until 10:30.

Wednesday- I set my alarm for 5:30 a.m. and plan on doing another Run workout before work, However the on call phone rings at 4:00 a.m. and back to work I go. I make it home just in time to see DW off to work and take a quick shower and head back to work for my regular work day. Through shear hardheadedness and maybe a little stupidity I still get my run in after work so another 3.5 miles on the week. It was around 95 degrees and windy and dusty which made it not very much fun. Then I get called back into work around 7:00 p.m. and don't get back home until 11:00 p.m.

Thursday- Set my alarm for 5:30 a.m. again so I can run when its nice and cool. well alarm goes off and I pound on the thing until it stops make loud noises (hey I was up and moving from 4:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.) and fall back asleep. Still determined not to let a small thing like lack of sleep mess up my plans I decide to run after work. Again it is hotter than hell and dusty and windy but I did it another 3.5 miles down.

Friday- took the day off and had a little back yard BBQ with some friends.

Saturday- DW and I did a little interval training (run/walk) totaling 3.5 miles and then I ran an additional 3.5 miles after we made a loop back to the house. She did really good since this was her first workout in a long time. I'm pretty proud of her. It was a beautiful morning for it! Nice and cool with a light breeze. We had a little shower last night so the air was nice and moist and clear. Today was truly a blast running and really made me remember how much fun it can be.

Sunday- I don't know if I should try and run tomorrow or not. I'm not feeling any soreness at all and everything seems to be going good. I just don't want to fall into the trap of overtraining and not giving my body anytime to recover? Anybody have any suggestions.

ethilo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:59:29 PM »
Great job! I have to say, as someone who has now run a couple of half marathons and a full marathon, the biggest hurdle for me was just putting on my running clothes and stepping my foot out the door. Once I got a minute or 2 into the run I forgot about all else. It really is about just DOING IT and disregarding those excuses you create as you prepare for your run.

Good luck, just remember that stepping out the door is one more thing done that the couch potato didn't do! No matter what, just finish the amount you plotted out for yourself for the day. The fitness will follow.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:43:40 AM »
Lay your workout clothes out ready to go.  Try a paleo or whole30 diet.  Diet is 80% and running that often may lower your testosterone.   Try a HIT sprint progra,m twice a week.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »
Wow, with the heat and the lack of sleep I am impressed that you're still doing it! I want to work up to a half marathon, probably not until 2016 though--need to kick the debt before I can pay to register, and want to go slow enough on building my mileage that I don't get injuries. You totally got this though!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 06:29:06 AM »
Lay your workout clothes out ready to go.  Try a paleo or whole30 diet.  Diet is 80% and running that often may lower your testosterone.   Try a HIT sprint progra,m twice a week.
Thanks for the advice.  I've started setting my running clothes out in the back porch.  This way I don't have to dig though the closet and wake DW up in the morning. I've been having some foot pain in left foot so I've dialed the running back just a little. I've been cycling to keep my cardio up while allowing my foot to heal. I've also added some kb swings, air squats, and some ab work. I'm ready to get back to running but would rather let my foot heal and not have to fight it later. On the diet part of things. I've not been doing very good at all on this. I like pizza and beer to much lol. I really need to kick it in gear though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!