Author Topic: It's Nov. 3rd, clothes outside line drying.  (Read 3310 times)

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
It's Nov. 3rd, clothes outside line drying.
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »
November is here and it's starting to get a bit chilly here in Atlantic Canada.  Currently it is cloudy and four degrees Celsius with a nice cool breeze.  My load of laundry is outside on the line drying away in the wind.

I believe this is the latest I've ever put clothes out on the line. :)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Re: It's Nov. 3rd, clothes outside line drying.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
That's awesome!  I wonder how long it will take them to dry?

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »
They're mostly dry now so I brought them in as I had another load I wanted to put to the air before the evening dampness sets in.    Any place which may have been bunched up or where the clothes pins are still damp so I have them draped over stuff in my bedroom to finish them up.  If memory serves me right they were out for about 3 1/2 hours.  If I was on the ball and hung them out a couple hours earlier I say they easily would have been dry enough by the end of the day.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:03:34 AM by Mr. Minsc »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »
I've got a load outside now - beautiful day for it! In the summer, everything gets dried outside; in the winter, if it falls right we do it outside, if not I might take the bulk of the moisture out with a dryer and use a clothes horse for the rest (we don't have a humidifier so I think it's actually ok to get some extra moisture into the house!)

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:54:02 AM »
We are still hanging ours too.  Luckily, it is really windy here so it helps dry them quickly.  Some of my clothes are getting really stiff so I toss them in the dryer afterwards.  Does the cold make your clothes and towels stiff?

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:56:45 AM »
It's not a problem to hang them all winter!  They dry quite nicely by sublimation (especially on a cold sunny winter day!).  Of course, depends on your laundry line set-up...you may have to shovel snow to get to it...

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
I have an storage area in our (heated) garage, right next to the furnace, which has a closet bar in it.  I hang dry our clothes (on hangers) in there year-round.  Even when it's -40, the heat from the furnace keeps it warm enough to dry.  Any overflow gets hung up on the shower curtain rod, again on hangers.  It works really, really well.  I can even take a couple of pants hangers (with the clips) and hang dry our sheets that way.
But we also live in a very dry area so I'm not sure if this would work as well in, say, the Pacific Northwest.  :)

krenwren

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 06:59:54 AM »
I have two drying racks in the basement.  I can put a full load of laundry on them and they dry overnight.  I live in the Northeast so it's pretty cool outside so I haven't put stuff out yet.  I started line drying after reading MMM post on electricity.  I see a difference already!!  My only "cheat" is to put my towels in the dryer for about 15 minutes to fluff them up.

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »
But we also live in a very dry area so I'm not sure if this would work as well in, say, the Pacific Northwest.  :)

We hang dry one load of laundry per week in the winter, and it's usually dry by the time we want to hang the next week's...

(To be honest, most clothes are dry within 3 days - it's only heavy things like bath towels and sweatshirts that take longer.)

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
Way to go! We've not had a dryer in over 10 years. These days temps where we live are often close to freezing so things take a while to dry, but our washing machine squeezes enough liquid out of everything where it won't freeze.