Author Topic: INCREASE clothes/shoes spending for 2016  (Read 9819 times)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
INCREASE clothes/shoes spending for 2016
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
OK this is a weird one
One of my 2016 goals is to dress fancier.
Before the facepunch, let me explain.

BACKGROUND
I don’t care about clothes. Literally, don’t give a f***
My personal wardrobe is a few pairs of shorts, mostly free t-shirts, (some 15yrs old from college days); enough generic socks and undies to provide decency.
Nice pair of Chaco sandals and Redwing boots; I usually get 2-3 years out of these.
That’s it. I generally spend $50 a year to replace worn out items. I have a 12yr old, $250 Mens Warehouse suit & black shoes (I got married in these) for church.

THE PLOT THICKENS

Work attire: I am short-changing myself and more importantly my people, by not dressing the part.
Work provides 'work clothes' cargo pants, branded collared polo shirts, and a work boot allowance. I’ve worn this my entire career starting as an entry level plant engineer.
I'm now mid management, but still wear this ‘working mans’ wardrobe.
At my level everyone is dressed nice. Slacks, button shirts, nice shoes etc. One level up and it’s all black suits.
I have a good position and perform well. I present well, get a lot of exposure, have been around a while. I’m good about posture, confidence, etc.
But I suffer from ‘cover-judging’: I walk into a meeting and first impression, I'm classified as a low-level guy, cause that’s how I dress.
I end up fighting internal wars which could be avoided if coworkers/vendors/customers took me seriously from the start. This is hard on me and my people. I've been blind to it for years because I am blind to clothes! I don't gaf! Someone pointed it out to me.

SO THE PLAN IS
Dress like a baller. Dress slacks, nice shoes, sport coat. Towards the top of where I am, maybe one level UP from where I am.

THE CHALLENGE IS
How and where to purchase such items efficiently. I did an exploratory Target run and man, clothes are spendy. It’d be easy to blow $500 in a hurry. That would keep me clothed for 10yrs!

TLDR:
Need to dress nice for work. How and where to source men’s dress clothes while minimizing $$ and effort?

Suggestions from well-dressed Mustachians?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: INCREASE clothes/shoes spending for 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:03:35 PM »
Thrift stores in ritzy areas of town. They have gently used suits, dress shirts, even shoes are hit or miss, and while I've seen some decent looking dress shoes, I don't know if they'd fit as well after having adjusted to another person's feet. But we've lucked across fancy label shirts and sports coats for under $15 for the husband and definitely been tempted by some beautiful 2-3 piece suits for under $40. And lots and lots of ties. The only thing you might have to pay retail for is socks and shoes.

Anything that almost fits but needs the pants taken up a smidge or the suit jacket's sleeves just a tad too long? Do NOT wear it like that - get it tailored. Pants and jacket sleeves can be hemmed, shirts custom tailored. As long as you're like 90% there on the fit, a good tailor/seamstress can make it look like it was made for you and make an average suit look damned good. Check out some reviews for local seamstress/tailor places and take over a jacket and pair of pants (from the thrift shop) and see how well they do. It will cost you under $20 for them to do most simple alterations. (would be even less if you know someone in the family that can alter clothes. I do know and it saves lots of money). But do have things fitted for you so you look great in whatever you buy.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:02:22 PM »
Shirts: go to Costco or ll bean, buy 5-6. Done. Yes, $$$, but at least in my area thrift store shirts at best, I might find one a year for H. So I'd suggest buying new to start, then look to thrift stores to replace.

Pants: H is an engineer and most everyone wheres khakis. Assuming that's what you are going for, I'd get 2-3 pairs khaki and one black or charcoal wool pants. You can rewear all in a given week. I have better luck finding these in thrift stores (I guess people get fat?) Than shirts but it's highly dependent on your size.

Shoes: one nice pair that you take care of is sufficient. Keep everything matching with black so you only need one belt, etc.

Sport coat: no clue.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:21:30 PM »
When you buy your dress shirts, find some with a bit of poly blended in vs 100% cotton.  They last longer. 

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
If you feel like sharing, can you tell us your build/body type/height/weight etc?  It might help get you brand-specific recommendations.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
Great ideas, thanks!
I tried a local thrift store and ran away in horror. But it's in a low/mid income area...
I'll drive to the nice area and see what the fancy people cast off :)

I'm 6'3" 210lbs, 34-36" waist, long torso, fairly muscular. It's difficult to find shirts long enough.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »
Oh yeah, be sure to moan and groan to your plant buddies about how you have to dress now and how much of a pain it is.  Don't want to alienate the guys that helped you get where you are!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
Costco has good quality stuff at low prices - I think you will be able to find shirts and slacks there.  I think all you need are 5-6 shirts, 2-3 pairs of casual pants (khakis) plus a pair of dress pants, 1 sports jacket.  You can try Marshalls or TJMaxx as well, they are more hit or miss but prices are good.  I would suggest 2 pairs of shoes that get alternated regularly.  Better for your feet and better for the shoes.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
Try going to TjMaxx and Marshals too. If you have a Burlington Coat Factory, hit that up as well. You routinely find quality stuff, high end even, for cheap. Like $20 slacks, $15 shirts, $6 socks. Dress shoes are about $40-50.

Thrift shops are good for sport coats and maaaybe some dress shoes.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »
Great ideas, thanks!
I tried a local thrift store and ran away in horror. But it's in a low/mid income area...

I'm 6'3" 210lbs, 34-36" waist, long torso, fairly muscular. It's difficult to find shirts long enough.

Sometimes you really have to dig... or get lucky and hit the right store at the right time. I live in a predominantly working class/blue collar town, but have scored some great finds at the local Goodwill for both my husband and me. I do try to hit the ritzy area thrift stores when we occasionally drive to the 'big' city a couple hours away.

I hate clothes shopping in general and hate digging through racks event more, but I had a similar goal recently with a new boss and new dress expectations. One thing I have learned to do is quickly shift through cloths on the rack looking for certain brands. If you find something from a good brand, even if you aren't sure it's your style, grab it to try on. Some of my favorite new clothes are things I would have never thought I liked, but it turns out they look and fit great, and are still top quality for a fraction of the price.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »
This is going to pain you, but buy high quality stuff because you'll spend less over time. My husband and the majority of the guys I work with wear either Lands' End or Costco dress shirts because the no-iron ones wear well and you don't have to waste time ironing them. My husband wears and loves GAP khakis for his casual days, which I buy at the outlet on crazy sales. Jackets you should for sure be able to find at a thrift store if you don't mind looking around a bit - otherwise Macy's and Eddie Bauer both have some decent sportcoats that aren't super fancy but still look nice.

Shoes: get two pairs of good ones, black and brown. Brown just looks better with some outfits. Keep them nice and rotate wear to help them last longer. For the love of God, wear some decent socks with these and not still your work boot socks.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
Go to Nordstrom and find out what size dress shirt and what cut will fit you best. Buy that shirt style and size, either at Nordstrom (pricey) or elsewhere. Same with pants. They will help you  figure out the right cut and length. Kohls or JcPennys, or LandsEnd will have everything you need. Make a uniform of tan, grey, or blue pants.  Buy shirts that match all three pant colors (ask a friend to,help if this is beyond your skill level). Buy a Couple coats that match the pants.

You sound like you dress like my boyfriend. He is quite blind to any subtilities about clothing, can't fathom why dirty tennis shoes and a ten year old t-shirt don't go with suit pants and a cammo jacket. If this is your skill level I strongly urge you to get assistance with your clothing selection and come up with a highly interchangeable geranimals types of system.

My personal opinion, given your need for relatively ease, and the desire to look decent at work, you should purchase new clothing of reliable good quality. The clothes will last longer and the shopping will be significantly less complicated than trying to put together a wardrobe from thrift.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:51:43 AM by MsPeacock »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 09:45:54 PM »

Buy good shoes.

James Bond runs in his dress shoes because they are hand made Italian leather and fit his feet.  James Bond would limp in Target dress shoes.

The rest, getting a good fit at somewhere like Nordstrom is really helpful. Maybe buy the first set there then take the info you gained with you to less expensive stores.

Fit and comfort are important.

Googling men's capsule wardrobe may be helpful or may be too far into style to be practical. This article looked good but I didn't read thoroughly. http://www.thestyledivision.com/how-to-build-a-capsule-wardrobe-for-men

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:55 AM »

Buy good shoes.

James Bond runs in his dress shoes because they are hand made Italian leather and fit his feet.  James Bond would limp in Target dress shoes.

HAHAHA! I was actually thinking exactly that recently

thanks again for all the input all!

Honestly my time is too valuable to spend a lot of it digging through local thrift stores.

I don't mind making a thought-out strategic $1,500 purchase of new duds, and +/- $200/yr thereafter.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »
Nordstrom has a very helpful personal shopper service. If you give them a budget and list of items (e.g. 5 dress shirts, 3 dress pants, one coat, a belt, one or two pairs of shoes to all match and coordinate) they will pull stuff together for you to try on. The salespeople here are extremely knowledgable. There is no charge for the service, just buy or not, whatever works for you. All ypumdo is show up and try things on And let them help you find the best fit, search the racks for stuff and bring it back to you, etc.

fullpampers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 09:25:29 AM »
Don't know if it's of any use, or what the advice is worth (I dress in jeans and t-shirts) but The Art of Manliness has a video/blog on creating a minimalist wardrobe. Dress shirt, pants and all.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 10:04:27 AM »
My bf likes to dress well, but it was like pulling teeth to get him to go clothes shopping after he gained some weight (actually, he went to the dentist first). Anytime there was a need to dress nice-ish it was A Trial, because Nothing Fit. I finally dragged him to the mall while shopping for a gift for my grandma and having no luck at the discount stores. He got 6 shirts and a vest at Macys for around $20/ea. Great fit, no need to tailor.  Found a model he liked, got 4 colors, done.

He also likes (and you might also) Bluff pants. Started as a Kickstarter, they are slacks made from athletic fabrics (like hiking pants); the original idea was "work pants to bike to work in". Not the cheapest, but might be more comfortable given your prior wardrobe. And in my experience, technical clothing (REI, etc) lasts longer than regular clothing. YMMV.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
Several recommendations for Nordstroms!
Any experience with Mens Warehouse? I have one close, and their website prices look nice...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »
Might be worth looking at consignment stores; they'll be mid-way between thrift and new, because they don't accept just anything.  Again, look in the ritzy part of town.  You could call ahead and see if they have any suits in your size since most will be heavily weighted towards women's clothes.

Also, once you find a brand/style you like for say, a shirt, search for it on eBay and you might be able to buy several for cheap.

TJ Maxx and Marshall's are good (Ross seems to be a little lower in terms of brands they carry), or a Nordstrom's Rack if you can get to one.

No idea about Men's Wearhouse, but I have noticed that J.A. Banks usually has good deals for suits like 3 for the price of 1 or whatever.  Don't know how it holds up, but their stuff looks pretty decent and current on style.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 05:12:31 PM »
Honestly my time is too valuable to spend a lot of it digging through local thrift stores.

I don't mind making a thought-out strategic $1,500 purchase of new duds, and +/- $200/yr thereafter.

Even avoiding thrift stores, I think you can come out with a nice wardrobe well under $1,500 (unless you are talking about buying one or more suits).
Fit, and a smart selection of basic clothes is what you need.

I like Lands End. I haven't bought any clothes in several years, when I did they were good, the fit was good, the style was good, and they lifetime guarantees/return policies.

urbanyogi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »
I have been interested in dressing well as long as I have been interested in MMM's ethos. One can dress well and be frugal.

Buy staples clothes and shoes that last long time and never go out of fashion. Clothes that can be mixed and matched. Checkout http://putthison.com/post/712103418/the-essential-mans-wardrobe-perhaps-the-most. Putthison is my primary source.

Know your measurements. I can't stress this enough. Taking body measurements is not easy as it seems. For dress getting measurements from a tailor would be ideal. The lazier and more expensive option is to start with your best fitting clothes and do trial and error. For shoes, I went to a Allen Edmond's store and got them to measure my feet. Notice they will check both feet because sometimes they can be different. Learn about shoe lasts if you have time they place a major factor in fit.

In my opinion, it is worth spending $300 in a new well made goodyear welted dress shoes. Because goodyear welted shoes can be resoled and the shoes can be used for many years. You can also buy a used one for slightly less.

Once I knew my measurements, I could do all my shopping online:

It took me 3-4 years to build a wardrobe I wanted. It takes time, enjoy the adventure.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »
My DH was in a similar situation, needing new, nice clothes on a very low budget. He hates shopping with passion, and wouldn't set foot in a thrift store to save his life. So he sent me to do it, and I found him plenty of nice wool sweaters. Literally dozens, at 5$ each. Maybe you too have a friend/partner/relative you can delegate this to?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »
I'm going to jump in and specifically say do NOT to Target or Men's Warehouse, at least based on my experiences (well, partners and family and friends... I tend not to wear men's clothes haha). Anyway, the stores that fall into the "middle ground" are usually the worst possible option. The clothes look nice enough, better than the cheap stuff, and feel a bit higher quality. But they do not hold up. Bad thread and sewing seems to be the biggest culprit IME, they just unravel. It is almost always cheapest in the long run to go with one of the extremes- either you buy a bunch of very cheap items, ie Walmart sales rack, and you get lucky and some are great and hold up for years, but 85% look wonky after several wears. Or, you buy high end and they hold up well because they are well made. Ideally the best of both worlds is high end but with the low end price tag (ie, second hand stores), but it can be hit and miss finding dressier work clothes. We're lucky here in Portland- we have a couple of second hand shops that specialize in men's dress clothing. Target prices for extremely high quality items.

Another point to consider- with your build, you may very well have to factor in tailoring. Men's 'big and tall' is usually both big AND tall, so while it's long enough it might be way too wide in the waist. You will look 500% better if you properly tailor these shirts.

Last point, and this probably goes without saying: know how to care for the items you buy. The mustachian option is obviously to NOT be going to a dry cleaner all the time if you can avoid it. Not good for your health, the environment, or your wallet. At the same time, doing laundry wrong can substantially shorten the lifespan of your clothing. A well tended work wardrobe should last many years with minimal replacement.

Best of luck! =)

PS- thought of a spitball. If you ever travel internationally, that can be a great time to get amazing custom clothing cheap. Best dress shirt my ex every owned was sewn on the spot by a grumpy old man in a market in Thailand. I think it cost him $6.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
I'm joining this challenge (even though it doesn't seem like a challenge).

I actually don't mind the thrift store, but you're right it does take time. And I am going from business casual to more formal.  I can put an outfit together that's casual, but for me it's pretty hard to do a suit jacket and pant that didn't get sold together.  Maybe I'll get better.

So far I've already spent more in 2016 than I have on clothes in the last 3-4 years combined because I bought 2 suits and 2 nice blouses.

The gauntlet has been thrown!!  Challenge accepted :)  We can do this!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 10:28:52 AM »
I know my sizes in really nice clothing, and then get it for about half off used on Ebay.  I love a certain, crazy priced jeans that sell for 180 (yes, really).  I look for my size on E-Bay and get a used but almost new pair for $60.  A slightly more used pair will go for $30, but because they are high quality will probably last me a couple of years. 

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »
Don't give up on thrift stores. My father was a great dresser until he died, and a slim 5'11".  My mother gave all of his clothes, including a dozen beautiful suits, to Goodwill.  Some found a nice wardrobe.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 07:02:18 AM »
This is a lot of great stuff, I have some homework to do.
FYI:
- Early on I roped in DW as 'personal shopper'. This failed miserably and feeling were a bit hurt. She has a good eye and love to shop but wanted to dress me 'fashion forward' in specific outfits. (PINK shirt?! 'it's not pink, it's fuchsia!') What I need is conservative can't-go-wrong mix-n-match.
- I bike to work. I do have a personal locker to hang stuff in. Whatever I get has to be fairly wrinkle-resistant.
- I travel to Brazil occasionally. The dollar goes a long way there. Thanks for the tip, I'll try finding a source there for tailored duds.

thanks all!!

primozaj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »
Several recommendations for Nordstroms!
Any experience with Mens Warehouse? I have one close, and their website prices look nice...

I like Men's Wearhouse... but I only buy when its BOGO.  They have deals like that every couple of months.  I bought a couple suits with this deal in 2011 and they are holding up well, however I only wear them every couple months.  I still have many non-iron dress shirts from at least 4 years ago, though my fave tore in the elbow.  I also bought a couple reversible belts during the BOGO.  In fact, I thought I bought a gift card or two at Kroger when it was 4x fuel points and then went and got a couple shirts BOGO.

I don't buy shoes there, I usually hit up Kohl's because they always have stuff on sale and let you use a trillion coupons.

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 05:04:01 PM »
There are some great deals at stores like banana republic clearance. My sister used to work there so she would tell me what days were best. Mark down days were usually on tuesday or wednesday for best selection. It is best when there is an extra 40% off sales. I manage to buy my husband nice slacks and dress pants for under $20.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »
Sorry this got long, total brain-data dump here.

John T. Malloy (yes the Dress for Success author) has good tips on wardrobes and shopping.  He advises that you go and try on the exact same thing at a high end store (really high end), a really low end store, and one somewhere in the middle.  Look at the insides and the construction, how are they put together? You will start to see the things that go into higher end clothing - better seams, better fit, etc. Slight differences (or glaring differences) in the dye job*.   
Then you can recognize the few items that are less expensive but look like quality.

If I remember correctly he also discusses which flaws are easily corrected by a tailor (hem and sleeve length) and which are not, so you don't buy something thinking that a tailor can fix it, and the tailor can't. 

Believe me (my DS and BIL both had high-powered jobs and spent a small fortune on suits) the higher-ups will generally be able to judge how expensive your new look was.  So you want it to be perfect/look expensive even if it wasn't expensive.  The higher you go the more this is true.  So in this regard, buying quality second-hand is better than buying cheap new, if the second-hand is still in good shape.  Just don't get anything obviously out of fashion - and yes, there is men's fashion, just more subtle than women's fashion.  And this is why you do the high-end scouting trip every time you are planning a major purchase, so you look up-to-date.  If you have access to one-day factory sales at high-quality manufacturers, go to them.  I had a wonderful Aquascutum raincoat, factory one-day sale at the Montreal plant.  These are not generally advertised, they are word of mouth. Sometimes foreign tailors have days when they are in a city, take all your measurements, show you styles and fabric, and then go back to their own country to do the manufacturing - and a few months later you have a perfect fit wardrobe. DS and BIL used to do that, great clothes, not cheap, but less than North America.

If you have a colleague who always looks well dressed and you know they are not blowing a fortune on clothes, ask them for advice.  This assumes you like each other and are not in direct competition, of course  ;-)

General thought - my teaching wardrobe (biologist -> labs) was decent but casual.  I had a few much higher-end outfits for when I had to make presentations at higher levels, including to our board of directors.  I still looked like an academic, not a businessperson, but a much more professional academic.  So anyone who might ever have to meet (occasionally or often) with people levels above them should have the clothes for those meetings.  It gives you credibility.

*Primary colours are considered lower-class for a historical reason, they were cheap and the dyes held well.  It is hard to get subtle muted colours in a dye job, so those fabrics cost more. Beige/tan raincoats need cleaning more often than black ones, so if you are on a tight budget, you buy black.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
Great ideas, thanks!

H is almost exactly your size.  He buys all long-sleeved shirts new, since he needs a LT (Large Tall) size, and they're white whales in thrift stores.

mlr2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 12:33:10 PM »
No time like the present for my first post.  I didn't read all the replies, but do you happen to have an outlet mall near you?  The reason I ask, just this past weekend I went to Van Hueuen's (in a local outlet mall) to purchase a few items.  They were holding a 60-70% off sale, plus I received a 25% off coupon through e-mail since I joined their rewards program over a year ago.  I scored 2 pairs of dress pants for $22/piece, 5 dress shirts for $20/piece, and my wife also grabbed 2 pairs of dress pants and a tank top.  In total, we walked away with 4 pairs of dress pants, 5 dress shirts, and a tank top for under $200.  Not bad if you ask me.  Total savings off retail was a little over $300.

The clothes are definitely quality and will last years to come.  Now I understand you may not have a Van Heusen's near you, but it might be worth it to check out your local outlet mall for a store that carries men's business attire.  Another option is to find a TJ Maxx in your area. I tend to find a few gems there from time to time.

Happy hunting!
Mike

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 10:05:20 AM »
I purchase dress clothes at Macy's.  A couple times a year the shirts will go on sale for $20-$25, and the pants will go on sale for under $30.  That's for non-iron shirts btw.  They will still wrinkle but you don't need to spend a lot of time on them, I use a garment steamer for about 20 seconds per shirt.

I suggest you get 2 pair of pants.  I choose the synthetic blends (Haggar brand) since they machine wash easy and dry quickly.  These can be worn a full week before washing, just lay them flat or hang them at night.  They have a permanent crease on the legs so you don't need to iron.  I have been wearing the same pair of black pants for over a year now, and keep my second pair as back up in case these get torn.  My last pair got replaced when my keys pressing against the bottom of my desk wore a hole through the front of the pants (after several years of wear).

For shirts I suggest you get 4-5 similar color shirts.  I like blue, so I got regular blue, dark blue, very dark blue, mostly blue with big white stripes, and mostly blue with little white stripes.

All of these together, on sale, should be less than $200.  I bet you could even get a tie or two and stay under that price range.  The next step, if you want to look really good, is to get your items tailored.  Off the rack clothing tends to be extremely baggy, since it's designed to fit all kinds of bodies.  I imagine you are buying huge shirts since you're tall with a long torso, so this is doubly bad for you.  This should be $15-20 per shirt, and include taking in the torso and sleeves.  If all of the people in your office wear billowy shirts, having yours tailored will take your image to a step above your current job title, without having to go to a suit.

I need to recommend one more item, which is a good garment steamer.  Mine is a Conair brand handheld.  It takes about 30 seconds to warm up and I can steam 20+ shirts before refilling the water.  If you're keeping your shirts in a locker at work, a quick steam will keep them looking fresh without needing to wash.  I wear undershirts that cover the pits and my shirts can go 4-5 wearing before they need a wash (so I wash once per month typically).  This will extend the life of your shirts dramatically.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 05:53:09 AM »
Oh yeah, be sure to moan and groan to your plant buddies about how you have to dress now and how much of a pain it is.  Don't want to alienate the guys that helped you get where you are!

Yes, clearly do that. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Nl7VYFEaI
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:56:33 AM by Metric Mouse »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2016, 06:01:43 AM »
Challenge beaten already.

I got tired of wearing crap. Been busy buying a whole new wardrobe towards the end of last year and most of this year.

It's shallow, but the confidence you get from wearing clothes that fit and look spanking hot is immeasurable :)

Yes it costs $$$, but hey, what is money there for right?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2016, 06:10:51 AM »
My sharped dressed uncle gave us all advice when we started our real jobs:  match, match, match, contrast.  Every fourth item you buy should be a contrasting colour to keep you looking snazzy. You want to be slightly different looking than everyone else around the board table. He also said - make sure it fits.  Nothing looks worse to me than a hand stitched shirt that is straining at the buttons or too short in the sleeves.   If your pants are too tight then you have crease marks at your crotch when you stand up. Ditto with oversized. (did you steal your dads suit?)  Lastly, good posture goes a long way to making anything you're wearing look good.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2016, 06:49:44 AM »
OP: Land's End or Brooks Brothers outlets for dress shirts. I believe both have Tall. Brooks Brothers outlets for silk ties. Regular (not outlet) Brooks Brothers sales for suits. They have tailors onsite and the suits you buy will be acceptable absolutely anywhere. One of the executives in my company grew up in a blue collar family and had no idea how to dress when he got out of school. He took himself to Brooks Brothers and they fixed him.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
I actually really like this gauntlet.  I got really in to the "No New Clothing" challenge last year, with the exception of swimsuits, because I wear them out.

I don't much care about how I look at work, because I am an engineer and I wear jeans and t-shirts.

At the same time, I have been reading Marie Kondo, and would like to develop a capsule wardrobe.

My challenges:
- Being cheap/frugal means that I don't want to get rid of stuff that fits, even if I don't like it.  I still wear it.
- I have some really comfy and nice clothing, some that fit and some that don't.  I have four pairs of pants that I wear to work.  And a 5 pound swing means that the small ones are too tight and the largest ones fit, or the smallest ones fit and the largest two pairs are swimming on me.  The honest truth is that the 5 pound swing is probably not going to end.
- I have some really nice shirts...somewhere...that I set aside while pregnant and cannot find.  My house is not that big.  I think my husband hid them away and doesn't remember, because it was 4 years ago.
- Summer casual.  This is my dilemma.  I live in So Cal.  Last summer with the "no new clothing", I basically lived in crappy clothing leftover from pregnancy.  Ill-fitting stretchy knit cotton shorts.  One pair of twill shorts that only really fit some of the time. (That five pound swing).  I found myself dreading this summer, going in again with ill-fitting shorts during the hot season.

So...I found Old Navy shorts on sale.  Ordered 2 pair.  One was way too big.  Returned them.  The others fit...mostly.  A little too big on the waist (as always), but I can work with that.  I then went and found a pair of capris (for $35, ouch) that are sooo flattering.  And then I bought 2 more pairs of those shorts that I liked (different color/ length).

I feel like I spent so much!!  But at least I won't look like a homeless person this summer.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
Don't over-buy.  You need six plain dress shirts of assorted colours, a black pair of dress shoes, a plain black dress belt, a black tie, and two black pairs of pants.  That's it.

Your tie and pants will never get stained because they're black.  You'll be able to wear your black dress pants for a week straight between washings, and nobody will ever know, but have a backup pair just in case.

Six different shirts are the minimum amount of variety that I've found won't attract comments.  I'm a fan of medium to darker colours because with lighter colours you have to deal with sweat stains around the collar (and maybe the pits if you sweat a lot).

Only wear your dress shoes at work so they last longer and stay unscuffed.  Take them off and leave them at your desk each night.

That's the two cents of a cheap bastard who hates wearing dress clothes, but has to wear them.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
You may also consider transitioning into a new wardrobe rather slowly. I work in a small, professional office and am able to wear jeans most of the time. However, when I have a meeting I am usually dressed a bit nicer (depending on the client). As you work up to a new wardrobe, can you change your level of dress for days that have a big meeting? It would help in the accumulation phase, plus you could figure out what pieces you really like vs not so comfortable.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »
Six different shirts are the minimum amount of variety that I've found won't attract comments.  I'm a fan of medium to darker colours because with lighter colours you have to deal with sweat stains around the collar (and maybe the pits if you sweat a lot).

I've gotten away with 5 tops - although I'm a woman and I work with a small group of men that likely pay very little attention to clothes. In general, I think most people are more comfortable (is that the right word?) if you have a predictable wardrobe. At least in the non-fashion arena. So don't go too crazy with variety.