Author Topic: I pledge alegence to my bicycle  (Read 6168 times)

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
I pledge alegence to my bicycle
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »
For all commuting in my daily.

Even during the winter.

I will not buy new rain gear when wet pants become whineypants.

I will use the shitty poncho from the emergency kit.

I will patch it with duct tape when it rips.

I will get to work with dry pants and buy used gear in the spring.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
Re: I pledge alegence to my bicycle
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
...ok, maybe not as dry as i'd like, but dryer than last time without the poncho. :)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »
Or, you could check out thrift stores for rain gear that actually keep you dry.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »
There is nothing in the thrift stores for rain gear. They've been picked clean and are unlikely to get more rain gear until spring.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
For all commuting in my daily.

Even during the winter.

I will not buy new rain gear when wet pants become whineypants.

I will use the shitty poncho from the emergency kit.

I will patch it with duct tape when it rips.

I will get to work with dry pants and buy used gear in the spring.

Love it!  I'll put my hand on my heart and say it every morning when I get the bike out of the basement.

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »
Geez, just buy some decent rain gear. It's still cheaper than driving.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »
What, too proud to duct tape a plastic garbage bag suit together for rainwear?  :P

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:56:50 PM »
I just ordered a set of rain fenders today.  Better than pants?

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »
Living in the Northwest, fenders are much more important than covered legs, at least until it falls below 40 degrees. With the drizzle we get, you get far wetter from spray off the tires than from the falling rain. And the fenders keep grime off your feet (booties help), and off the drivetrain. Maybe most importantly, they keep you from getting a skunk stripe. I much prefer tights, or regular pants to plasticky pants. I sweat so much in those that it's worse than the rain, and the clamminess is irritating. I tried thrift store wool pants, but I'll only wear them for errand running. I prefer tights for my long commutes, even though they may be less mustachian.

We have one dude in my town who rides with shorts and no shirt into the 30s with rain. I have no desire to achieve his level of badassity.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
Living in the Northwest, fenders are much more important than covered legs, at least until it falls below 40 degrees. With the drizzle we get, you get far wetter from spray off the tires than from the falling rain. And the fenders keep grime off your feet (booties help), and off the drivetrain. Maybe most importantly, they keep you from getting a skunk stripe. 

I hear ya on that.  I've got saddle bags that keep the stripe away, but water from the road almost always gets me more wet than the rain itself.

zoltani

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
Where have you guys been lately, it has been POURING here, very unusual!  Last Friday in particular I was riding in a complete downpour and got completely soaked, even with rain gear.  At that point I am more interested in staying warm than staying dry.

Hopefully our typical NM drizzle will replace the downpours we've been having lately.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »

I have water bottle fender for the front and a bike rack on the back. I already have half calf high boots which seem to be doing the trick.

The boots and my rain jacket have worked so far, until the downpours. Thankfully we've only had 3 while i needing to travel this season.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »
You could bring an extra pair of pants in your bag to change into?

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »
I keep extra clothes at my office for just such occasions :-)

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 01:08:18 AM »
I am pretty lucky in regards to biking. Shower at work and a little Ikea wardrobe I keep in my office with clothes to change into. I might need to share my office in the next few months though, so could put a cramp on my current system. I even get paid like $1.60 or something for each day I log an alternative commute (bike, walk, bus, or ride share).

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
Wow you've got some pretty sweet digs there. 

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »
I am pretty lucky in regards to biking. Shower at work and a little Ikea wardrobe I keep in my office with clothes to change into. I might need to share my office in the next few months though, so could put a cramp on my current system. I even get paid like $1.60 or something for each day I log an alternative commute (bike, walk, bus, or ride share).

Goodness!!! I will aspire to such preparations for future seasons!

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »
Wow you've got some pretty sweet digs there.
Which makes it completely lame for me to make excuses to drive to work. Which I was about to do just now... I have to go catch up on paperwork. After reading this again, I'm taking the bike.

jwystup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »
I can't quite pledge to bike all winter but I'm certainly going to try! In Buffalo, you can get a foot or more of snow overnight and expect to still go to work like everyone else even if the plows haven't hit all the roads yet! I'm still not sure what to expect, last winter was *very* mild so this might be the first real winter in this house, which should get less lake-effect snow than where we moved from. Also, I don't think our (relatively quiet, residential) street was plowed once last year - I ride on streets very similar to ours all of the way to work. It could be good if I don't get salt all over my bike but it could mean lots of inches of snow to ride through!

What I'm trying to get at is: I've decided that at the very least, I have to consider riding every single day. Even if there is a snowstorm and I drive for a few days, each of those days I have to question using my car and bike if at all possible. That is my pledge. Driving has to be the exception, not the rule, for all of winter (even if by some craziness I drive every day) Biking is considered first.

I got a nice rain jacket from nashbar when I started riding for about $30 - very worth it. It has a hood that fits over my helmet and a long back to cover my butt while I ride, and it's pretty lightweight. I just recently bought rain pants for $20 and they're awesome but I haven't had a chance to use them much yet. I think it's better to be comfortable on the ride to not get discouraged from riding (I've done the wet pants thing a couple of times and that sucks even if you have something to change into!)

zoltani

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »
Lol, I almost wish I lived in an area that gets a lot of snow, then I could justify buying a Pugsley or similar fat bike.  They look like a ton of fun.