Author Topic: I need encouragement  (Read 6610 times)

RATM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I need encouragement
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
I am literally ready to give notice of retirement. I am comfortable with where I am financially.  The career sucks the life out of me, which is why I have been preparing for this day.  I typed an email to the powers that be to start the process.  I am sitting here staring at it, seemingly unable to press "send."  I think that I have past generations of my family inside my head saying, "why in the world are you quitting your job?" and "it's such a good career," etc.  I am trying to chase those messages out... any words of encouragement would be appreciated.  Or if you had a similar experience and lived to tell about it, I'd love to hear.  Thank you!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: I need encouragement
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »
Do it!

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »
If it makes it more palatable, just quit without retiring.

I think of retiring as more permanent.  The reality is, if you don't like retirement or you find you prefer a regular job, you can always go back and get one.

You have put yourself in a position that you are FI.  Take advantage of what you've done and leave the job that sucks the life out of you.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
Hit send and enjoy!

Just as the previous poster said, this doesn't have to be permanent if retirement doesn't end up being what you imagined. You're FI and your job is not enjoyable.

Go do something that you enjoy doing.

Congrats!

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »
Don't do it. Get one more month's pay, then hire a skywriter and quit like that.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »
The delivery method is all wrong.  Please consider baking cookies and spelling it out in chocolate chips. 

PursuingIndependence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
First, that is awesome that you feel comfortable and can make the choice to leave a job you do not enjoy! Congratulations!

Second, while I am not there financially myself and I like my job, I would suggest that you think of what you enjoy and would like to do. Is there anything you feel like you don't have time for now because of your job? As mentioned in other posts you do not have to retire in the traditional sense, it sounds like you can get another job with no concern for pay. Or you could write of list of activities (places you want to hike) and books you want to read then work on checking them off!

Also this thread may help with encouragement: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/epic-fu-money-stories/

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »
Don't do it. Get one more month's pay, then hire a skywriter and quit like that.

OMG...are we going to start seeing FIRE stores in the "news" now, just like we're constantly seeing offbeat wedding proposal stories?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 01:22:58 PM »
Maybe don't think of it as "quitting" but as an indefinite sabbatical?

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
If you're that hesitant, maybe you're not actually ready? I'll go against the flow here and say don't do it until you're ready. This journey is about happiness, not about leaving your job.

You can pull that trigger anytime you want to -- but you can't unpull it after that bullet is fired. So be sure. Take some time to figure out why you're reluctant. Imagine sending it, imagine how your boss will react, imagine how you'll feel, imagine waking up on your first day without a job or a plan to get one, walk through the whole process virtually, and see if anything sticks out as a red flag that concerns you.

That old saying, "If it's too hard to make a decision, it's too soon to make a decision," has some merit to it.

It's okay to wait if you aren't quite there yet. You're the only one who knows when the time is right.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 04:50:34 AM »
The career sucks the life out of me

That says it all.

I look forward to hearing when you have reclaimed your life.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 04:53:42 AM »
It sounds to me like you are not totally ready for the jump.  Have you thought about taking a vacation to recharge your batteries?  If you feel the same after that then you probably have your answer.