Author Topic: I challenge you to a stock simulation challenge  (Read 43091 times)

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
Re: I challenge you to a stock simulation challenge
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »
I find it annoying as well. Further proof that once I get the money, I will be investing in mutual funds only.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2016, 10:34:53 AM »
The limitations of the system are a little irritating. The commissions are pretty expensive and you can't go short options (such as covered calls). And the system seems to be slow to trade. Maybe they are using delayed data. And you have limits on how much of something you can own or trade in a day. If you're a stock picker, you'd be very limited by the inability to capitalize on something really undervalued. And having to do the trades over multiple days increases commissions.
I know nothing about picking stocks so I used their standard settings, I'm used to commissions on vanguard funds being free, so I don't know what they should cost and used the default $20, I think they are using data that can be up to 15 minutes old, which is why you can't sell for 20 minutes after you buy, they limit how much you can buy in cases where there is not that many stocks available, or you are trying to buy I think 10+% of all total stocks.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
The limitations of the system are a little irritating. The commissions are pretty expensive and you can't go short options (such as covered calls). And the system seems to be slow to trade. Maybe they are using delayed data. And you have limits on how much of something you can own or trade in a day. If you're a stock picker, you'd be very limited by the inability to capitalize on something really undervalued. And having to do the trades over multiple days increases commissions.
I know nothing about picking stocks so I used their standard settings, I'm used to commissions on vanguard funds being free, so I don't know what they should cost and used the default $20, I think they are using data that can be up to 15 minutes old, which is why you can't sell for 20 minutes after you buy, they limit how much you can buy in cases where there is not that many stocks available, or you are trying to buy I think 10+% of all total stocks.

I've tried to enter orders at market prices or even a penny above them (to the ask) and it won't fill them. It only filled one when the market went way below what my order price was. Weird system. And on some pages they will have 2 market prices on the same page and I noticed that one was 10 cents different than the other at the same time.

At least it's not real money.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 12:58:07 PM »
I joined the new game. Spent about twelve minutes picking a bunch of stocks I know hardly anything about. We'll see how it goes ;-)

webguy

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »
You're all going down!!

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2016, 10:38:50 AM »
The only thing going down is my fake stock in twitter.....   Why did I buy something with virtually no earnings appreciation potential?   

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
Why did I buy something with virtually no earnings appreciation potential?

Same reason I did? Haha.

I wish I'd bought Amazon in real life instead of fake investing. Up 54 points today.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
Why did I buy something with virtually no earnings appreciation potential?

Same reason I did? Haha.

I wish I'd bought Amazon in real life instead of fake investing. Up 54 points today.
Hind sight 20/20

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »

Hind sight 20/20

Yeah, of course :-) I don't put any serious money into individual stocks. Just a few shares for fun here and there (currently less than 1% of my NW).

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
So I'm in the top 5 of the 10 people that are playing that have bought stocks, not bad. The winner of our last challenge is winning again! Someone stop them! Lest they think they are good at this and actually try it!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
Wait a minute I'm winning? Wtf seriously? Lol I should buy some more stocks then.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2016, 09:52:34 AM »
I'm in again!

Good thing this is play $$ =)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »
Wait a minute I'm winning? Wtf seriously? Lol I should buy some more stocks then.
Yep, your actually the only person up in the green, the rest of us have lost money

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2016, 10:02:32 AM »
Damn well that might change soon since I'm buying up some more stock today.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2016, 10:05:38 AM »
And I think I fucked up by putting in more trades than I have money for. Can we cancel trades?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2016, 10:19:04 AM »
And I think I fucked up by putting in more trades than I have money for. Can we cancel trades?
it's a weird system, sometimes it won't let you sometimes it will. I think if you buy one while the market is open(as it is now) you have to wait 15 minutes. It will let you buy more than you have money for and give you a negative cash amount, not sure if there are consequences for this, worst case scenario you can always sell some of your stocks.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2016, 10:38:37 AM »
Whe will contest 2 end?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:47 AM »
Whe will contest 2 end?
When the market closes on 7/25/16 (3 months from the start date).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »
On a whim I decided to lock in my 12% gains from AMZN and invest in some shares of a company that my friend just got a fancy job at, since they went public quite recently (I thought of it because he posted pics from ringing the opening bell at NASDAQ on Facebook). That stock promptly dropped like a rock. I mean, almost instantly after my purchase, a perfectly vertical line appeared on the stock charts. I suspect my rank will be slipping... ;-)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
I'm in it to win it this time ;)

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2016, 01:35:01 PM »
Bring it!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I challenge you to a stock simulation challenge
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
On a whim I decided to lock in my 12% gains from AMZN and invest in some shares of a company that my friend just got a fancy job at, since they went public quite recently (I thought of it because he posted pics from ringing the opening bell at NASDAQ on Facebook). That stock promptly dropped like a rock. I mean, almost instantly after my purchase, a perfectly vertical line appeared on the stock charts. I suspect my rank will be slipping... ;-)

Did you message your friend with a screenshot and caption "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" or "We can see what the market thinks of [Company] hiring you."  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2016, 02:56:35 PM »
Just joined today.  Let the fun begin!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »

Did you message your friend with a screenshot and caption "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" or "We can see what the market thinks of [Company] hiring you."  :D

Haha. If it were most people, I totally would. But this poor guy has really been through the wringer lately (relationship, job, etc.), he would probably have a nervous breakdown. Hopefully his stock options haven't kicked in yet.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2016, 05:54:11 AM »
My DreamWorks stock went up over $7 per share and at 200 shares that's an awesome gain of $1576. Come on y'all don't make this too easy for me.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »
The rankings haven't been updating so I can't see how I'm doing relative to everyone else, but my annual return is -92%.

...this is supposed to be a race to the bottom, right??

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
The rankings haven't been updating so I can't see how I'm doing relative to everyone else, but my annual return is -92%.

...this is supposed to be a race to the bottom, right??
My annual return is -2.58%, you are definitely winning the race to the bottom, you could click on everyones name in the rankings to see their annual return/portfolio balance to see how you are doing in comparison, which I agree is a lot more of a pain than having a working rankings page.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
Someone broke the rules... PDGessler has spent 50% of his portfolio on a Vanguard total stock market index fund and another 35% on another index fund.... No index funds guys! index funds are for smart people, we are trying to see how bad we are at picking individual companies.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
My annual return is -2.58%, you are definitely winning the race to the bottom, you could click on everyones name in the rankings to see their annual return/portfolio balance to see how you are doing in comparison, which I agree is a lot more of a pain than having a working rankings page.

I clicked through to figure it out... surprisingly there are people doing much worse than me! Man, I can't win a race for anything. ;-)

Leaving out people who haven't actually done anything in the game yet... the rankings as of now:

AS1989
Badass Jeremy
Pdgessler
Kroaler
Webguy_mmm
Nonfinity
Dollarslice
WranglerBowman
Forummm
Bobbyfinstock
AJColeman

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »
Someone broke the rules... PDGessler has spent 50% of his portfolio on a Vanguard total stock market index fund and another 35% on another index fund.... No index funds guys! index funds are for smart people, we are trying to see how bad we are at picking individual companies.

Whoa whoa whoa... I didn't see any rules about that! The first post just says to join and "invest"! And the platform lets me buy anything!

So am I out, or what? Why are indexes not "investing"? I thought this was the MMM way! Can I get back in your good stock-picking graces tomorrow at market open and redeem myself?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa... I didn't see any rules about that! The first post just says to join and "invest"! And the platform lets me buy anything!

So am I out, or what? Why are indexes not "investing"? I thought this was the MMM way! Can I get back in your good stock-picking graces tomorrow at market open and redeem myself?
Sorry, It was a later post, you're not out, you can certainly just sell them and invest in something else no worries. I am measuring how the S&P 500 does and will see how we do against it. I'll add the rule of no indexes to the first post. Indexes are investing, but they require no "skill" while they also outperform us stock pickers. It's unfair... You would just beat everyone lol.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:15:31 PM by Jeremy E. »

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2016, 06:57:05 PM »
Like I did in the last round ;)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2016, 07:02:20 PM »
Like I did in the last round ;)
Exactly... But you are winning again anyway, I'm pretty sure you are just hacking investopedia at this point.... lol

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »
If I were that good a hacker I'd be making a lot more money. I'm just lucky as hell. I picked a few stocks that sounded good to me and that was it. Man I wish I'd bought more of that DreamWorks stock though. It's went up like $7 a share since I bought it. I've just decided to let everything ride and not mess with it.

jbhernandez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2016, 08:19:57 PM »
How many stocks are there in the S&P 500?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2016, 11:26:38 PM »
500 +/-10 or so

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2016, 06:19:23 AM »
Unless their is a big jump today my Tesla Options are going to kill me. At one point I was at $120,000. I'll gamble my way backup.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »
Anyone know why the rankings haven't been updated since the second? I'm not on there since I joined between then and now.  Current balance is $94,847.

jbhernandez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2016, 09:32:52 AM »
500 +/-10 or so
Thanks for the response.

I just joined the challenge, bought 3 stocks. GOOGL, JNJ, T 1/3 Each.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »
Anyone know why the rankings haven't been updated since the second? I'm not on there since I joined between then and now.  Current balance is $94,847.
Not sure, I assume investopedia is having issues.
If you go to the rankings page you can click on everyones name and look at how they are doing,
Dollar Slice did this yesterday and the rankings(not counting those who haven't bought stock) were,

1. AS1989
2. Badass Jeremy
3. Pdgessler
4. Kroaler
5. Webguy_mmm
6. Nonfinity
7. Dollarslice
8. WranglerBowman
9. Forummm
10. Bobbyfinstock
11. AJColeman

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2016, 12:49:01 PM »
I'm crushing you guys :)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2016, 01:38:41 PM »
I'm crushing you guys :)
It doesn't look like you entered contest 2 yet, unless you changed your name?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »
I did join, for some reason it doesn't show me on the rankings yet. Maybe cause I joined after the May 2nd update

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »
I did join, for some reason it doesn't show me on the rankings yet. Maybe cause I joined after the May 2nd update
Gotcha, it seems there are now 20 people competing, but it only shows 14 in rankings, crazy

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2016, 08:10:32 AM »
Gotcha, it seems there are now 20 people competing, but it only shows 14 in rankings, crazy

I've just joined as well. Looking forward to having some fun!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2016, 08:25:11 AM »
Well, it doesn't look like the rankings updated.

Whoever created this game, is there a way to set how often they update?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2016, 08:53:11 AM »
Well, it doesn't look like the rankings updated.

Whoever created this game, is there a way to set how often they update?
No, but I sent them a message friday letting them know about the issue.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
Twitter is still crushing me.  That was an un researched mistake.   I want out, but I dont want to sell and lock in my losses..... what to do.... what to do......

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2016, 11:30:23 AM »
Rankings have finally been updated... Here they are, I jumped from 9th place to 3rd place... not to shabby
2birds1stone in the lead with no stocks... must of made some money on a lucky pick and cashed out, smart

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2016, 11:32:21 AM »
Post-update, I'm down at #17 where I belong with  my -89% annual return! (I can't believe there are four people doing even worse than me...)

@Kroaler, I sold TWTR. Not sure if that is a recommendation for or against since I am apparently more of a "what not to do" stock investor.